Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 923335 times)

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #1320 on: August 19, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »
Closet doors in this house slide.

Two of the cats can open them.

:noooo

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1321 on: August 19, 2015, 08:19:30 PM »

did u say "clever girl" in an australian accent

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1322 on: August 19, 2015, 08:42:35 PM »

"Bow, humans."
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1323 on: August 19, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »

Yeah the list of things cats hate more than "closed door" is pretty small

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1324 on: August 19, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »
Brachycephalic kittehs. :noah

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1325 on: August 20, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
Washed my clothes last night, threw them in the dryer and went to bed. Woke up and realized all my socks are damp-ish due to being tied in pairs.
:beli

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
I hate that or when like a single tshit is damp because it balled itself into the bedding and now the bedding is moist too.  I hate moist bedding PD, give it to me dry, is what I always say.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #1327 on: August 20, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
That dude that hogs an entire wall outlet at the airport   :-\

Kara

« Reply #1328 on: August 21, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
The American broadcaster of the Tour of Spain is a channel I don't get. :goty

Beezy

« Reply #1329 on: August 21, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »
Binge watching a show on hulu so you have to see the same 4 commercials over and over. :beli

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1330 on: August 22, 2015, 12:38:14 AM »
Binge watching a show on hulu so you have to see the same 4 commercials over and over. :beli

You mean smartphone breaks?  ???

Some other shit like the adult swim app still play just one ad again, and again...  :yuck

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1331 on: August 22, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
Been working so many 14+ hour days, when I got out after only being on for 8 I'm confused on how to spend the rest of the day

How can I hold all this free time
dur

Huff

« Reply #1332 on: August 22, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »
I really wish I had like 1 friend in this town to go and blackout before sundown with
dur

Kara

« Reply #1333 on: August 22, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
Been working so many 14+ hour days, when I got out after only being on for 8 I'm confused on how to spend the rest of the day

How can I hold all this free time

I just go to other clients then. :jawalrus

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:brazilcry
[close]

Huff

« Reply #1334 on: August 22, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
Currently desperately  messaging everyone on tinder I've matched with over the past month to come drink with me
dur

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1335 on: August 22, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »
My work has decided to do another reorg.  The last one was four months ago.  This is a huge red flag of course and senior management knows this.  Their solution is to do it in secret.  The new org chart won't be shared (not to worry, it will leak out anyway), Outlook contacts won't be updated until weeks after the change, and no company wide announcement.  I have no idea how they think they're going to pull this off when one day, people are going to find out that they report to a new supervisor.  I've been spending most of last night and today in meetings.  Again, keep in mind we're making record profits.  I can only conclude that there are some shenanigans going on at the top and I suspect they keep reorganizing to keep it from finally emerging.

On a related note, I got all my references lined up and I'm going to be spending the coming days updating my resume.  Coincidentally enough, everyone I was talking to was also updating their resume and looking for work elsewhere.
🍆🍆

Kara

« Reply #1336 on: August 23, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
I was really excited to watch a Liberace performance on PBS last night but I passed out like ten minutes in.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1337 on: August 23, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
jetlag  :-\

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1338 on: August 23, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »
Yes, person at the cash register. I am well aware that I look nothing like my driver's license photo.  :goty2
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:37:56 PM by Atramental »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1339 on: August 23, 2015, 09:04:02 PM »
Yes, person at the cashier. I am well aware that I look nothing like my driver's license photo.  :goty2

they clocked you, gurl? Should have used the regular wig.

studyguy

« Reply #1340 on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »
Fucked up making scalloped potatoes over the weekend.
Ended up using the wrong kind of cheese, so it wasn't melty like I wanted. I ended up just turning them into mashed potatoes.
Was good, but it wasn't scalloped potatoes. Just regular ass mashed potatoes with stuff in it. A failure.
Delicious failure.
 :goty2
pause

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #1341 on: August 24, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
Burnout 3 isn't recognizing my Sony memory card

Criterion Games :sheik

Looked them up on Wikipedia to see if they're still around and read this:

In June 2015, news site Nintendo Life reveals that in early 2011 Nintendo of Europe approached Criterion to work on a pitch for a new F-Zero game which they hoped to unveil at E3 that same year alongside the then-unreleased Wii U console, and potentially release the game during the console's launch period.

However, the developer was unable to handle the pitch as, at the time, they devoted much of their resources into the development of Need for Speed: Most Wanted for multiple platforms.

The site was tipped by an anonymous, yet "reliable" source, but they had confirmed this information when Criterion co-founder Alex Ward (who left the company in 2014) admitted that Nintendo of Europe did indeed approach the company for a potential F-Zero game on the Wii U.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1342 on: August 24, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »
So are they still around? I didn't know any portion of Criterion existed outside of EA. I mean, as a separate studio.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #1343 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »
Not really. Ghost Games has a lot of the former staff though working on Need for Speed series.

On 28 April 2013, Alex Ward announced via Twitter that the studio is planning to steer away from its tradition in developing racing games and are instead focusing on other genres for future projects.[6]

On 13 September 2013, Criterion elected to cut its staff numbers to 17 people total, as 80% (70 people) of the studio moved over to Ghost Games UK to work with Need for Speed games.[7][8]

On 3 January 2014, it was announced that co-founders Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry have left Criterion to found a new studio.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1344 on: August 24, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
Interesting. Yeah, the whole path of that company was interesting:
Renderware - most people agree that it was awesome for prototyping, crap for shipping
Burnout series - or, "Ah, so if you have the middleware company working in-house, you /can/ ship a game on it."
EA purchase - all Renderware licensees am cry
EA bets huge on Burnout, which is awesome, awesome, awesome, and sells like crazy -- but not enough to meet Marketing's insane forecast

I lost track of it after that. I know Burnout staff were working on Flat-out for Namco, which seems to mean no more EA. I also recall they did the NFS stuff. It's just weird to see a studio smack a ball out of the park like they did on Paradise, only to be told they were expected to knock it out of the stadium's parking lot, across the train tracks, and into a neighboring city.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1345 on: August 26, 2015, 10:18:01 PM »
My next door neighbor knocked on my door at 10:00 pm to remind that garbage day is tomorrow.

'Bout gave me a heart attack, goddamnit.  :-\

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1346 on: August 27, 2015, 12:15:24 AM »
My next door neighbor knocked on my door at 10:00 pm to remind that garbage day is tomorrow.

'Bout gave me a heart attack, goddamnit.  :-\

©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1347 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:28 AM »
So I think I successfully got my in real life friends to finally dislike me. I don't know, you bore guys already know I need psych help. Like I have this problem were I like to push people into disliking me. Say some flippant stuff, say whatever. Just keep pushing buttons until people dislike me. It's a problem I have. Does anyone kno what I'm talking about? I don't know, how do you go about getting psych help? I don't have insurance or lots of money and an really cynical to people throwing me a bone. I don't know bore guys I feel like I'm inching very close to offing myself. Yes I know I've played that card already but I feel like I come closer every day it's like I just need to right push. Can anyone talk to me on messenger today or in a few hours? I really need someon to listen to me who won't fly off the handle.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1348 on: September 03, 2015, 03:50:02 AM »
So I think I successfully got my in real life friends to finally dislike me. I don't know, you bore guys already know I need psych help. Like I have this problem were I like to push people into disliking me. Say some flippant stuff, say whatever. Just keep pushing buttons until people dislike me. It's a problem I have. Does anyone kno what I'm talking about? I don't know, how do you go about getting psych help? I don't have insurance or lots of money and an really cynical to people throwing me a bone. I don't know bore guys I feel like I'm inching very close to offing myself. Yes I know I've played that card already but I feel like I come closer every day it's like I just need to right push. Can anyone talk to me on messenger today or in a few hours? I really need someon to listen to me who won't fly off the handle.

This is more of a  struggle than an inconvenience; it changes the way you approach everything in life. Many people who have insurance will deal with psych help off the books because of the stigma attached to having a mental illness. That stigma is unfair, but there it is.

Two seconds of google turned this up:
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/12/04/what-to-do-when-you-cant-afford-therapy/

I'd also recommend meditation, though it can be frustrating and annoying (or is that just a reveal on my personality?) -- when I do it, it helps.

If you feel angry often, there are a  number of good books on anger management. Surprisingly, and I am not being sarcastic, I enjoyed the For Dummies book on it more than most others.

« Reply #1349 on: September 03, 2015, 04:41:45 AM »
Can't get Larger Than Life out of my head for days now.

Sometimes I catch myself singing it in public :brazilcry

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1350 on: September 03, 2015, 04:42:25 AM »
I guess I do have what they call Obamacare. Harmony, A wellcare company? That's my insurance provider. I guess I should look into what they provide.

I don't know. I don't feel angry. Slightly jealous, defeated, and destructive. I also feel people , really no one gets me. I feel thats my real fear of a psychiatrist. They won't actually get me. I can't exactly articulate my history or feelings to give context or meeting and I'm too afraid/cynical to do it as well. Leading me to be cynical and not trust anyone when they dont get me.

God I wish that vulcan mind meld was a real thing. I'd love for someone to be in my head and feel my thoughts and feelings for an outside perspective.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1351 on: September 03, 2015, 07:45:04 AM »
Google "psychologist Medicaid" to find someone who participates with your insurance.

If you go this route just recognize that your psychologist is going to challenge you at some point or another. Don't take it personal, he or she will eventually ask you to do some things you might not want to do or feel won't help. Give it a shot and try your best.

Kara

« Reply #1352 on: September 03, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »
I used to do what you described, Rah. I was afraid of letting people know the real me.

Depending on where you live you could have free clinics in your area.

It's kind of a crap shoot when you're going to Medicaid mental health. You might start with a therapist first and then ask them if they think you need a psychiatrist after some sessions and if they have any recommendations.

NAMI (the organization not Arvie's dog) has a lot of resources too.

Kara

« Reply #1353 on: September 03, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
OT: I'm too gassed to work out this morning.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1354 on: September 03, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »
Day Three of having this dumb-ass cold. I've had a 37.8º nearly the whole time. Having some trouble sleeping, which slows down the recovery process. Fuck this virus-riddled earth.

Kara

« Reply #1355 on: September 03, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
Been eating vegetarian this week and I cannot stop shitting. Fiber, it's so demonic. :cody

Huff

« Reply #1356 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
Feel like crap. Gunna need to borrow a thermometer from a nurses station tomorrow to see if I'm feverish.
dur

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1357 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »
Having to drag my laundry to a laundromat  :snoop

Seriously considering buying a washer/dryer combo.
nat

Huff

« Reply #1358 on: September 05, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
I missed the return of mongoose thread  :(
dur

Kara

« Reply #1359 on: September 07, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
Working with export sales and the fact that sales to Hong Kong are distinguished from those to the PRC in these records is driving me up a pedantic wall. SMH this is what happens when you try to be conciliatory with imperialists.

Kara

« Reply #1360 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
Paying for express shipping and finding out that the "express" shipping is shipping via the United States Postal Service when you get your email notification that the item has shipped.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1361 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
Unsatisfactorily Slow Postal Struggle
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1362 on: September 10, 2015, 01:44:54 AM »
New MBP running 10.10.5 on 8GB RAM -- every other day: "Your System has Run out of Application memory" - only solution is to reboot. Apparently there are some UNIX ways to fix it, but I am not a UNIX head. If I wanted that, I'd be running GNU/Linux.

Apple needs to sort its shit out. This is new to 10.9 and 10.10

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
i think work stress has killed what little appetite i ever had

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1364 on: September 12, 2015, 02:54:05 AM »
Saw a few leaves on the lawn. It's almost that time of year brehs. I hate doing leaves, more so than any other outside seasonal work. Granted last year I didn't really have to bag much, I just ran over the leaves with the lawn mower like a boss. Still I did enough bags to get my jimmies rustled.

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #1365 on: September 12, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
I cut back a bunch of my lilies yesterday to save me from having to dig the leaves out from them in a few weeks.

Saw 4 gigantic spiders in the process and thought about burning my house down.
(|)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1366 on: September 14, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »
Allergies from mown lawn next door still kicking my ass, so I had a Benadryl. Not sure what weak ass part of my system was involved, but I am as stupid as hell right now. Tried counteracting with some high-octane coffee, now it just feels like I'm revving my engine in neutral.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1367 on: September 16, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
Usually I'm the most impressive person at the track in the morning, as compared to the host of middle aged to old ppl and thick (in a good way) out of shape soccer moms. But today some Rock looking white dude was at the track....with a baby stroller. He was pushing the stroller while jogging nonstop around the track. Dude must have done 6 laps in a row before the kid started crying.
:mindblown :preach

The soccer moms were creaming for this dude :brazilcry

I can't even hate tho, it was impressive.

Kara

« Reply #1368 on: September 16, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
Get schooled by fitter people when you're working out and getting motivated instead of mad. :aah

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1369 on: September 16, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
I smoke p much everyone on the bike path. A little motivation for those slowpokes. This could be U someday.  8)

Kara

« Reply #1370 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:09 PM »
I smoke p much everyone on the bike path. A little motivation for those slowpokes. This could be U someday.  8)

#RideFightWin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1371 on: September 17, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
Water's been shutoff in my area all day [maintenance or something] and I really need to poop. :goty
dog

Kara

« Reply #1372 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:50 AM »
Left some clothes up to dry in the shower last night and of course the commune threw a late night pool party so now I've got clothes who knows where. :neogaf

PlayDat

« Reply #1373 on: September 19, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
A recruiter from Google contacted me in July.  We exchanged a few emails and spoke informally over a Hangout in the past week.  She wants to start the actual interview process with a phone call from one of their developers sometime soon.  I’m honestly thinking of responding with a polite “thanks, but no thanks.” 

They probably do hundreds of these a year so I know not to get too gassed about my prospects.  Since we talked by webcam I decided to find whatever details I can about the many stages you have to succeed at when you’re vying for a position at the company.  I always knew it was hard, but some of this stuff actually makes me lose some respect for Google.  Many of my issues with it are related to the whole concept of job interviews, but with Google being consistently ranked so highly in employee satisfaction, I’d think that they’d be the ones to come up with a better alternative.  Instead they (along with many other big tech companies) have a system involving lots of coding exercises you have to complete under the supervision of one of their developers.  It’s probably great for eliminating the people who couldn’t write a for-loop to save their lives, but it also weeds out a whole lot of really talented people who would’ve been great for the job.  The questions I’ve come across online don’t seem to assess how quickly you can think on your feet or problem solving ability, as much as they show whether you happened to memorize whichever algorithms the interviewer decided to throw at you.  There’s a whole lot more I want to say about the subject, but I don’t want this to get too long. 

The main reason I’m considering not going forward is that I just don’t think I have the time to prepare.  I’m studying abroad right now.  By the end of the semester I should earn 16 credits taking four classes at a university where the average student takes 5-6.  Even with this “light” workload I’m still struggling.  At home I wasn’t doing very well either.  Despite excelling in high school, I finished my first semester of college with a 2.5 GPA.  It’s slowly climbed every semester, but only to the 2.85 where it sat at the start of this (my final) school year.  There are lot of explanations for my performance, ranging from health issues, working part time, and a general lack of college readiness common in many other inner city high school graduates I’ve spoken to.  Regardless, I should have done better. 

At the moment, it seems like studying abroad might kill whatever momentum I’d been building up academically.  There was some unexpected difficulty in proving that I had the necessary prereqs for two of my courses.  I made sure to attend the lectures anyway since I was still able to look up when and where they take place, but I wasn’t able to submit homework due to not being officially registered for the courses.  There was one day where I missed most of my classes because I spent ~8 hours at the hospital receiving treatment for my illness.  I got a 2/12 on an assignment worth 10% of my grade in my compiler course.  The same class also gave us one programming assignment so far and I’m pretty sure I fucked that one up pretty badly too.  I failed a midterm in another class this past week.  Haven’t actually seen the grades yet on those last two, but I can feel it.  Transitioning has been tough.  Unlike in the US where most professors list open office hours, every professor I have here requires an appointment to meet with them.  I guess this shouldn’t really be a problem, but I can’t help but feeling like I’m wasting an appointment slot when I walk in without a specific question, but just a general state of confusion.  I've cut back on forum time pretty heavily.  Only reason I'm posting here right now is because recess week just started.  I'll probably spend most of the time reviewing and hopefully reading ahead in a couple of my classes.

Prepping for the Google interview(s) is going to be sort of like its own class.  I’m worried that by contorting myself to meet their rigid demands, I’ll only be further hurting my GPA.  It doesn’t seem worth it since even people with PhDs have somewhere around a 1% chance of getting the job.  After devoting the time and effort to it, I probably still won’t be working at Google and I’m expecting to have a worse chance finding a position elsewhere since some places I’ve talked to so far are a lot more GPA conscious.  If I don’t do the phone interview though, I’m worried I’ll have that nagging question of “what if?” years down the line.

Kara

« Reply #1374 on: September 19, 2015, 11:42:28 AM »
You'll be asking yourself a more painful "What if?" down the line if you don't invest in yourself first, believe me.

You're the best investment you can ever make. Unlike a company, you aren't going anywhere. (Yes, one day Google will be regarded in the same way we regard Kodak or Pan Am presently. Sorry Andrex-kun, Santa Claus is also a lie.)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1375 on: September 19, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
Is the Google job something you really want to do or do you see it more as an internship to get your foot in the door? A lot of contractors are temporary and a lot of people at those Silicon Valley companies just cycle around every few years from one company to the next until they can finally afford to maybe buy a home in a nearby zip code. It's a good opportunity and congratulations on getting to this point but know that it's just a first step.

By American standards, that's not a great GPA as universities do lots of curving here but I've known people with worse grades who went to Google or similar companies. I've also seen a lot of smart kids who struggled because of how the testing experience is different in college. Usually it takes a year or two but it is strange that school doesn't drop grades on assignments that were affected by health maladies. I would talk to a school counselor about options and advice for the major you're studying and honestly I think focusing on just university instead of adding work on top is the best thing to do right now.

Tasty

« Reply #1376 on: September 19, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
You'll be asking yourself a more painful "What if?" down the line if you don't invest in yourself first, believe me.

You're the best investment you can ever make. Unlike a company, you aren't going anywhere. (Yes, one day Google will be regarded in the same way we regard Kodak or Pan Am presently. Sorry Andrex-kun, Santa Claus is also a lie.)

Google will get us to Mars and terraform the planet. And then rename it Google. So no, it ain't going anywhere. :doge

Anyways, just do the interview. Google lets you apply to them something like up to 6 times or something, so it's no big deal if you don't get it. But if you do get it you'll be fucking  transcendent. Do it!

PlayDat

« Reply #1378 on: September 19, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I missed reading Bore posts.  Been lurking some other threads and forgot how funny this place can be sometimes. 

Is the Google job something you really want to do or do you see it more as an internship to get your foot in the door? A lot of contractors are temporary and a lot of people at those Silicon Valley companies just cycle around every few years from one company to the next until they can finally afford to maybe buy a home in a nearby zip code. It's a good opportunity and congratulations on getting to this point but know that it's just a first step.

By American standards, that's not a great GPA as universities do lots of curving here but I've known people with worse grades who went to Google or similar companies. I've also seen a lot of smart kids who struggled because of how the testing experience is different in college. Usually it takes a year or two but it is strange that school doesn't drop grades on assignments that were affected by health maladies. I would talk to a school counselor about options and advice for the major you're studying and honestly I think focusing on just university instead of adding work on top is the best thing to do right now.

I'd love to work there full-time.  Packing up and moving west for a career in software development is something I've dreamed of for years.  I guess I am now leaning more towards setting up the phone interview.  The next few months are going to be rough either way.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1379 on: September 19, 2015, 10:06:03 PM »
You're the best investment you can ever make.

This post is inconsistent with my Kara headcanon.  :doge :doge
©@©™