Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 923261 times)

Corporal

Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #4920 on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
I forgot my Switch and 3DS chargers at a friends' house. Fuck.

Debating whether to buy a second Switch charger (improved convenience, needn't unhook the cradle thing every single time I need to charge my switch away from home) or drive back to my friend and get the stuff back (takes fucking forever, needs scheduling between two full blown tech idiots). I could also just continue to charge my Switch with my USB 2 -> USB C lead and my trusty Apple USB2 iPad charger. Takes a while, but it kinda sorta works. Although, no more TV switchery because it can't power the dock.

3DS? Huh. Right. Uh. I guess I should shut it down before it leeches it's battery empty.

Life is hard. Can't wait for New game+. I'm gonna own those toddlers with my supreme equipment and level advantage.
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4921 on: January 08, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »

Debating whether to buy a second Switch charger (improved convenience, needn't unhook the cradle thing every single time I need to charge my switch away from home)

I'd go nuts having to unhook stuff from the dock every time like that.  Made sure to buy another USB C cable and power brick before the Switch came out.  I'd like to buy another dock, too, but fuck Nintendo's ridiculous price for extra docks.  Will probably just end up buying another Nintendo AC power cable instead- you can't use offbrand USB C cables with the dock.  ::)
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4922 on: January 08, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
USB-C future :rejoice

Using the same charger for my phone and vidya system :rejoice

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4923 on: January 08, 2018, 05:12:43 PM »
Customer service had me on hold for about half an hour. I decided to take a quick shit. As soon as I was mid-turd, someone came on the line.
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4924 on: January 09, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
Did you dump the call?

:ohyou

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4925 on: January 09, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
“Uuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnggh... yeah, my Gateway is acting up.”

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4926 on: January 13, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
Went to bed pretty late last night.  Was dozing off and my wife suddenly goes "I WANNA SIGN UP FOR THE GEORGIA TECH CODING BOOT CAMP!!!!!" and wakes up to go use her PC.

Woke up this morning and she asked me to close the open tabs on her PC when I walked by it.  Noticed an email from someone at GA Tech where she asked them about it.

So glad you can't just sign up and pay right away and there's a submission process-- she never reads anything thoroughly or fully-understands it (ESOL and all that), so she thought this 24-week course was $500.  Nope...it's fucking $10,000.
:dead
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:47:16 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4927 on: January 13, 2018, 04:26:44 PM »
Went to bed pretty late last night.  Was dozing off and my suddenly goes "I WANNA SIGN UP FOR THE GEORGIA TECH CODING BOOT CAMP!!!!!" and wakes up to go use her PC.

Your what said that? Are your figurines starting to talk to you now?
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4928 on: January 13, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »
Went to bed pretty late last night.  Was dozing off and my suddenly goes "I WANNA SIGN UP FOR THE GEORGIA TECH CODING BOOT CAMP!!!!!" and wakes up to go use her PC.

Different waifu.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4929 on: January 13, 2018, 09:57:38 PM »
Friday was slow and Monday will be too. Instead of being able to enjoy this by body's like "This is a great time to crash and get sick!!"
que

Corporal

« Reply #4930 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
My voice is pretty much gone at the moment. All I can utter are pretty much some squeals and screeches that vaguely resemble speech. Kinda Alvin and the Chipmunks like. If they were cigarette addicts.

squeak scree mumble cough hack squawk.

Time to overdose on Tiger balm. And other, more traditional stuff. But mainly tiger balm. It isn't the right brand if it doesn't dissolve the upper layers of your skin, retina and lung tissue.
!list

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4931 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »
Waiting in my car in a sketchy part of town I lost in my wallet in yesterday to meet someone who has it, if I don’t post later rip me  :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4932 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »
oregon seems safe enough

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4933 on: January 15, 2018, 01:08:22 AM »
It was totally friendly and nice

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4934 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
oregon seems safe enough

They have to pump their own gas now, stay safe.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4935 on: January 15, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »

My wife.  Funny that word was left out, heh.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4936 on: January 15, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
My wife also told me recently that her (borderline-psychotic) sister is pregnant again...apparently already due pretty soon.  Her sister has continued to treat her parents like garbage and recently told them that they would never be allowed to see her kids. 

Their father turned 70 two weeks ago and her sister made arrangements for the family to go eat at some nice restaurant.  When they met up, she told her mother that she wasn't invited and the restaurant confirmed that they did not have an extra seat available.  My mother-in-law started crying and that bitch acted like everything was normal.  This was all that was relayed to me, so I have no idea if they just left or found a seat for her.  Seriously pissed me off when I heard this.  My wife told her mother how I felt when I heard about it and that actually made her happy. 

Am still wondering how the husband gets treated- From the little interaction I have seen, it appears that she acts like a completely different person in front of him and his family, but I expect the mask to come off at some point. 
ど助平

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4937 on: January 16, 2018, 10:01:25 PM »
Bought a pair of Senny HD650's, come to find out theyre 300ohm headphones and my receiver can barely drive them lmao now I'm researching entry level amps. I'm sure this is how this rabbit hole begins, being fuck started by a sense of initial ignorance.
:9

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4938 on: January 17, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »
Bought a pair of Senny HD650's, come to find out theyre 300ohm headphones and my receiver can barely drive them lmao now I'm researching entry level amps. I'm sure this is how this rabbit hole begins, being fuck started by a sense of initial ignorance.

I have the same headphones. I've had them for years. I originally used them with a high-end Cowon MP3 player before I understand what the fuck amps were for or why they were needed. The Cowon could drive them just fine but nothing I have now can so they just sit unused.

If you're looking for an amp/dac take a look at Schiit: http://www.schiit.com/home They have what's called a "Schiit Stack" which is their AMP/DAC for 200 bucks. From what I understand it's well received and can drive pretty much anything. I haven't pulled the trigger myself just yet but I want to down the line.
nat

Tasty

« Reply #4940 on: January 17, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Bose QuietComfort 35 II with Google Assistant :aah

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4941 on: January 17, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
Got the JDS Objective2 amp. Gonna run preouts from my receiver to it and it to my headphones. Its small enough I can take it around the house with a 9v battery installed.

On another note, I went to optometrist recently. Lady was cute as hell. But when she strapped my head down to the machine and directed me where to look her morning breath made a home in my nostrils. Her head was a good six inches away from mine. I was all oh baby, what is you doing.
:9

shosta

« Reply #4942 on: January 18, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »
I took too many pills and I'm freaking out
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4943 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »
I'm gonna assume that it's just an accidental double dose based on where you posted this... If not, then uh, I hope you've tickled your uvula since.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #4944 on: January 18, 2018, 07:47:18 AM »
I managed to put my wallet through the washer AND the dryer, now I'm worried my credit card is ruined
WDW

shosta

« Reply #4945 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »
It's 6AM and the guy upstairs who LOVES kumbia decided right now is the time to get his jam on. I presume he had to wake up early for some unknown reason and needs to get pumped or whatever. But it's bugging the shit out of me. And these pills still haven't worn off :foxx

wait, is that backstreet boys? What?
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #4946 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »

:rock

TVC15

« Reply #4947 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
Just pooped so bad I threw up. Second time this hear I think.
serge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4948 on: January 18, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »

At the same time? Were you able to throw up while on the toilet, thus getting it all the way into the water without making a mess?

TVC15

« Reply #4949 on: January 18, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »

At the same time? Were you able to throw up while on the toilet, thus getting it all the way into the water without making a mess?

No. It was post-wipe, after I fully understood the consistency of the matter. I sprayed across the bathroom and then turned to the sink since I hadn’t eaten and knew it would all be fluid. Coffee and water in this case. I did throw up on my phone, which was on the edge of the sink.
serge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4950 on: January 18, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
can we get a timeline and chart of this pooping? :doge
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4951 on: January 18, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »

It's like 2 Girls 1 Cup, except there was only one TVC and 0 cups.
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4952 on: January 18, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »

Ok so I’m looking to buy some entry level headphones similar to these. Most of my current listening of any kind is on my home theater set up driven by a Denon X4300H. I was thinking that I’d like a headset I could hook up to this receiver occasionally so I can listen to music or watch movies and play games and my “normal” volume even late at night. Is it out of the question for this receiver to drive those headphones? I assume this is a stupid question but I know nothing about headphones.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4953 on: January 18, 2018, 07:52:22 PM »
Woke up, tried to make cone-filter coffee, paper cone collapsed, sending coffee grounds into the waiting cup. Then I forgot that happened, and got a mouthful of coarse, foul bean-gruel in my cakehole this morning.

The TV has decided its digital tuner is dead. It's a 10-year-old Sony, so I have to admit that I'm stunned it lasted this long. Every other Sony product has died gloriously the moment its warranty ran out. I always get the store's insurance, because Japan doesn't raise a fuss or dick customers around on them. They just politely return a newly working item. Ages ago, I maxed out my two VHS decks' insurance, as well as the coveted PSX (the PlayStation 2 with the built-in DVR and DVD-authoring). This TV was the first Sony that never required attention.

I'd say "RIP," but the truth is it's going to be the replacement for the 20" bedroom TV, just being driven by my lesser consoles.

:kobeyuck

Ok so I’m looking to buy some entry level headphones similar to these. Most of my current listening of any kind is on my home theater set up driven by a Denon X4300H. I was thinking that I’d like a headset I could hook up to this receiver occasionally so I can listen to music or watch movies and play games and my “normal” volume even late at night. Is it out of the question for this receiver to drive those headphones? I assume this is a stupid question but I know nothing about headphones.
"Sennheiser hates this one trick that'll save you money!"
https://lifehacker.com/upgrade-a-pair-of-mid-range-headphones-to-an-audiophile-1456454424

Corporal

« Reply #4954 on: January 18, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »
Today, I ate 3000kcal worth of ice cream because it wouldn't fit in my freezer anymore after I had stashed all my purchases for the week (and I was too lazy to do another Tetris session to sort something more useful out for thawing).

I regret nothing.

Well, no. I do regret everything. A bit. Urp.  :-X

On topic: simultaneous projectile vomit & diarrhoea is the perfect combo of misery. I have experienced it twice so far in my life, and I certainly am in no rush to add a third time. Pooping, then barfing in sequence is easy mode. Disgusting as fuck, but vastly preferrably to the alternative. Still, my condolences for the suffering and mess, TVC.

Also, my ears are too shit to distinguish 50€ and 300€ cans. Those amps are nice, but mostly because of the better volume control. Audio troglodyte life.  8)
!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4955 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »

I'd be really surprised if a $900+ receiver couldn't drive a 300ohm headphone.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4956 on: January 19, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
https://lifehacker.com/upgrade-a-pair-of-mid-range-headphones-to-an-audiophile-1456454424
:o   

Gracias a los dos. 

I kept getting vague responses when I tried googling last night where it wasn't really addressed on a technical level and kind of brushed aside - but I couldn't tell whether it was because it was silly to think it could or silly to think it couldn't... I guess I know which.

Any recommendations on an all around pair?  I started thinking i would be nice to have something that I could take with me on long flights to drown out noise, and also something I could hook up to my home receiver to get the Atmos and hi fi music experience even while my wife is asleep. 

It kind of seems like there isn't.  I understand to play off my phone I'll probably need a portable amp and that's okay with me.  But it seems like open back is the best for a good soundstage at home while sound leak would kill it for a flight.

I think I'm going to end up with two pairs  :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4957 on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
oh and my struggle for the day.  Received an email yesterday (didn't see it until today) saying that I needed to set up a payment plan for this semester and my courses or I was going to be dropped from my classes.  The problem is that I already paid in full and my first class is Saturday.  Yesterday was the deadline for payment before being dropped so I hope they didn't do anything stupid already.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4958 on: January 19, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's which have a relatively low impedance so you don't need as much power to drive. They work pretty well with a phone:

http://a.co/21QM5Bv
nat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4959 on: January 19, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
Wife's friend is having relationship problems. And she came over and saw me playing with my kids while we were cleaning up. And she sighed and said, "I wish MY husband would help around the house like that. I don't know how some women are so lucky to have men that help like that."

Without thinking I blurted out, "It's simple. They pick men that will help around the house."

Wife gave me the  >:( face her friend the :brazilcry face.
Yeah, not the best thing to say.
que

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4960 on: January 19, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
I dunno, man. Sometimes people just change, or become lazy/take others for granted.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4961 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
I dunno, man. Sometimes people just change, or become lazy/take others for granted.
Oh totally. But this guy was always like that. I knew him before they got married. So it's not a surprise.

Either way, totally the wrong thing to say. I have shame.
que

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4962 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's which have a relatively low impedance so you don't need as much power to drive. They work pretty well with a phone:

http://a.co/21QM5Bv

Yeah, If you're looking for a general movie/gaming pair of cans mup, the 598 are great. I owned a pair for like 10 years and they're still the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned. You'll forget about them on your head. They're open though so expect sound leak but you should be fine (don't watch porn in your living room). I was actually gonna recommend these lol. If you wanna flex some more cash you can go up to the HD-600s as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516389586&sr=8-2&keywords=hd600

Oh totally. But this guy was always like that. I knew him before they got married. So it's not a surprise.

Either way, totally the wrong thing to say. I have shame.

A lot of ppl, but men especially, have a hard time appreciating things. That plus some never realize shit is constant work.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4963 on: January 19, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »
I always feel bad when I'm sitting in my lounger watching tv while the wife is cleaning or folding laundry. So I always make sure to have a beer so I'll forget about feeling bad about not helping.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kidding. I do plenty of cleaning/folding.
[close]
©ZH

hampster

« Reply #4964 on: January 19, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
I moved and started a new job - I went from a small office place with its own bathroom to a small office place in a big building that shares its bathroom. God its disgusting >:( :(

I didn't realize how good I had it at my old job. Now I dread every trip there. What used to be a nice break became the worst part of the day. Don't get me wrong, its not public bathroom at an amusement park bad or anything, but still :'(

At least focusing on the bathroom helps me ignore the crippling imposter syndrome :)
Zzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4965 on: January 19, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
Found my birth mom on Facebook a few years ago and now every year I have deal with weird messages from her on my bday

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #4966 on: January 19, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
Happy birthday

-not your mom
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4967 on: January 19, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »
One of the buildings in my complex has a water problem.  They would up shutting off the water to entire complex and said it may not be back on until late sometime this evening. 

Maybe this is for the struggle thread-- I GOTTA TAKE A SHIT NOW  :busta

My parents said we're good to go their house to use the facilities until it's back.  Was gonna wait for my wife to get home, but even if I go now, I'll be sitting in traffic for a while.  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4968 on: January 19, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »
Wife's friend is having relationship problems. And she came over and saw me playing with my kids while we were cleaning up. And she sighed and said, "I wish MY husband would help around the house like that. I don't know how some women are so lucky to have men that help like that."

Without thinking I blurted out, "It's simple. They pick men that will help around the house."

Wife gave me the  >:( face her friend the :brazilcry face.
Yeah, not the best thing to say.

I dunno, man. It's sad she's having relationship problems, but it's probably easier for her to restart than "fix" her husband. My Mom started over again at 50, found the best guy in her life. No regrets. While what you said wasn't kind, it was true. Sometimes people need that.
[close]
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4969 on: January 19, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »
:o   

Gracias a los dos. 

I kept getting vague responses when I tried googling last night where it wasn't really addressed on a technical level and kind of brushed aside - but I couldn't tell whether it was because it was silly to think it could or silly to think it couldn't... I guess I know which.

Any recommendations on an all around pair?  I started thinking i would be nice to have something that I could take with me on long flights to drown out noise, and also something I could hook up to my home receiver to get the Atmos and hi fi music experience even while my wife is asleep. 

It kind of seems like there isn't.  I understand to play off my phone I'll probably need a portable amp and that's okay with me.  But it seems like open back is the best for a good soundstage at home while sound leak would kill it for a flight.

I think I'm going to end up with two pairs  :lol

I've got the Sennheiser 595, which I converted to 599s via the insanely easy "hack" - removing a stupid piece of foam. They're comfy. Open-ear means better situational awareness, airflow, ambient sound.

For planes, I've got a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 2. These are great for drowning out repetitive environment noise, like planes or trains, but they're also a bit warm. When I wear them at home when I have to work undisturbed, I can get kinda sweaty ears. :-/

On top of that, I've got another half-dozen earphones, because I can't seem to not buy them. I've just found my pair of Etymotic ear isolation earbuds, that were frequently preferable for traveling, have finally succumbed to cable-rot.  :'(

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4970 on: January 19, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
Headphones are cool, i like owning multiple at a time. I hope to continue a deep dive into gear lust once I became a rich artists.

:doge
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4971 on: January 20, 2018, 12:11:59 AM »
Yeah it looks like I’m going to have multiple pairs. I went and tried some out tonight.  I love the Sennheiser headphones for their soundstage and quality (tried 559, 579 and 600s) but the open back design leaked way too much to use on a flight at volumes I enjoy. They didn’t have any Sennheiser wireless models but I haven’t liked what I’ve read about their wireless offerings anyhow.

I think it’ll be a pair of Bose QC35’s for flying and 600’s or 650’s for the home. I’m going to be doing A LOT of long flights this year so I’ll do the Bose first unless someone has a better recommendation for that purpose. I’ll pick up the Sennheiser after I can find somewhere to do an in person comparison of the 600s and 650s.

Tasty

« Reply #4972 on: January 20, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
I heard Sony's latest cans are slightly better at noise cancellation than the QC35s but the QC35 is still probably the gold standard in that price range.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #4973 on: January 20, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
I can fully recommend the QC35s. I wore them for about 12 hours on my way to China.
brb

Tasty

« Reply #4974 on: January 20, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »
Yeah, my QC35 IIs are amazing at toning out the screeching of the T. Really good battery life too (IMO.)

Only thing I dislike is some aspects of the design. I really wish it was easier to wear them around my neck when not listening to music.

TVC15

« Reply #4975 on: January 22, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »
It feels like a sea urchin crawled down my throat and took a shit.
serge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4976 on: January 22, 2018, 06:07:46 AM »
It feels like a sea urchin crawled down my throat and took a shit.

I would have expected you to post that in the triumph thread tbh.

jorma

« Reply #4977 on: January 22, 2018, 06:33:36 AM »
so my high performing unit (three people strong) was merged into a big unit with a lot of other smaller teams.
Those teams don't function nearly as well, and after the employee survey the big team got shit scores on aggregate.

So now i have two years worth of team building exercises ahead of me. And i fucking hate team building shit. It always ends up with me standing in the rain on a Thursday night with two hours of public transport to look forward to. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

shosta

« Reply #4978 on: January 22, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
I had SIX CENTS available on my credit card.
每天生气

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4979 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »
Sho Nuff is repeatedly bringing up the ST:TNG episode where Beverly Crusher fucks a ghost and it's making me doubt the validity of the series.