Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 535285 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #1020 on: October 07, 2015, 03:38:34 AM »
Two master's degrees. :bolo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: Struggle Thread 2 - Who does #2 work for?
« Reply #1021 on: October 07, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Lost control of a company pickup on a dirt road and drove into a ditch at 45-55mph and flipped it several times. I'm fine, really couldn't be better considering the severity of the accident, but this is the shirt the EMT was wearing:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Did they rule it preventable or non-preventable?  These days anywhere I go, a preventable means they'll channel you a new asshole before kicking you out the door.
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1022 on: October 07, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
Two master's degrees. :bolo

Neither of them was a master's in good taste though, just sayin'.
©@©™

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1023 on: October 07, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
Got wasted and somehow hurt my fist. Red marks on my knuckles. Did I punch something or wipe out?  ??? Also, fuck everything, I want to die.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1024 on: October 07, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »
got moved into a team room from my posh office, which i now share with a veep and two general managers. on the plus side, i'm in DA CLUB. on the down side, my internetting time has been shredded. on the plus plus side, i think beating r-type in front of them (on my old portable psone) will net me a bigger bonus than any work i've done; they were all OMG YOU'RE AMAZING (who the fuck knew? god bless nerds). on the minus minus side, i don't/won't golf and one of the motherfuckers listens to dave matthews ALL DAY.

i also got called a hipster by 25 yr. old junior pm yesterday. i have no beard, wear regular jeans, have a cornball non-coiffure, and despise urban self-sufficiency. that said, my non-ironic ironic game is straight up jordan-class balla and i drink shit pissbeer in public, so maybe he recognizes cac greatness under all the nondescript dorkitude.

You're a 40 year old that has a motorcycle fetish and just got a tattoo. You're clearly not a hipster but a sad cac going through a midlife crisis. Sheesh. These people.

multiple tats. and amen. the struggle is real.
duc

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1025 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
According to Gartner, a company of our size should have an IT department of 9 people. We have 3.
That efficiency. :lawd

:brazilcry
[close]
©ZH

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1026 on: October 07, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
Keeping the IT cost center low :lawd
que

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1027 on: October 07, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »
My boss finally realized that we need a dedicated bookkeeper.

It won't be me.

yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1028 on: October 07, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
My boss finally realized that we need a dedicated bookkeeper.

It won't be me.

(Image removed from quote.)
Can't tell if this means you're unwilling, or that they're choosing someone else. Remembering your posting history about communication problems with this boss, either way seems like a dodged bullet.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1029 on: October 07, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »
:fbm

sorry to hear that Triumph

Tasty

« Reply #1030 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1031 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »
Today one of my doctors asked me to rate how happy I was feeling on a scale of one to ten and when I said eight they basically told me to gtfo with that shit, I didn't look any different than I did during my last MDE.

My Spock game is F I E R C E. :expert

Kara

« Reply #1032 on: October 07, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
My friend who I complained about earlier retroactively shitting up my barfday let it slip tonight that she won't be able to do anything until two months (!!!) after the actual day. :dead

I was going to be polite and just say something like, "Hey I had a great time tonight, and thanks for remembering me, but I'm all or nothing when it comes to this event so this shit ain't going to fly next year," after we did do whatever it was we were going to do, but now I'm going to just have to be a straight-up ass and say, "It's 16% of a year after the fact now, sorry, but even I'm not that chill," when she approaches me about it in a month (!!!). :dead

Fuck holidays. The only real one is May Day. :ussrcry

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1033 on: October 07, 2015, 11:59:50 PM »
happy birthday dude!  Expect this wellwishing every day for the next 16% of the year

« Reply #1034 on: October 08, 2015, 12:41:49 AM »
Birthdays aren't holidays

Kara

« Reply #1035 on: October 08, 2015, 01:08:33 AM »

Christmas, the 4th of July, Washington's Birthday, probably missing some others.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1036 on: October 08, 2015, 01:38:56 AM »
And how many of those are true the days of birth :expert?

I mean except for Presidents Day sometimes but of course we always wait til the weekend to celebrate it because that's convenient. My birthday usually lands in the Thanksgiving weekend so no one remembers it unless they get a Facebook reminder.

« Reply #1037 on: October 08, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
Got a new job but their health insurance is terrible ($1050/month with a $500 deductible and 80% coinsurance.) Went on healthcare.gov and the average bronze and silver plans have $12,000 and $11,000 deductibles. Average gold plan at $600/month has a $5,000 deductible.

I haven't made it yet, brahs. My company insurance plan would be approaching 20% of our income and I've got the debts to pay off. The Obamacare plans are such bad deals they just don't make any sense.

My wife technically has coverage as a member of the Cherokee Nation and I technically have coverage under the VA but both of those are extremely cumbersome to use and their coverage isn't great to begin with.

Watdo?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1038 on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
Yeah man, that sucks. I pay $1,200 a month for my insurance. It's admittedly rather good. But still that's more than many people pay for rent. Just for insurance.
que

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1039 on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
Vote Sanders :usacry

That's a really tough spot, I hope you find a way to make it work

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1040 on: October 08, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
Holy shit, I love living in Canada. 

Kara

« Reply #1041 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
Well the thing to keep in mind with deductibles is that you don't pay against them with a lot of routine care on metallic plans. Scheduled doctor visits and prescriptions are copay as long as the provider is in network and the medications are covered on my plan, for example.

Not knowing anything about your wife's or your health, a silver plan might be a decent fit for you. Coverage isn't great but it's designed to balance regular costs and extraordinary costs with its pricing structure.

Congratulations on your new job, BTW.

Kara

« Reply #1042 on: October 08, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »
I'm at quarterly visits now, but admittedly my mood disorder is different.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1043 on: October 08, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
I don't have insurance and haven't been the the doctor in at least a few years, despite numerous injuries. 8)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1044 on: October 08, 2015, 03:04:45 PM »
Got a new job but their health insurance is terrible ($1050/month with a $500 deductible and 80% coinsurance.) Went on healthcare.gov and the average bronze and silver plans have $12,000 and $11,000 deductibles. Average gold plan at $600/month has a $5,000 deductible.

I haven't made it yet, brahs. My company insurance plan would be approaching 20% of our income and I've got the debts to pay off. The Obamacare plans are such bad deals they just don't make any sense.

My wife technically has coverage as a member of the Cherokee Nation and I technically have coverage under the VA but both of those are extremely cumbersome to use and their coverage isn't great to begin with.

Watdo?

If I remember correctly, the ACA returns any out of pocket costs above 10% of your total income via a tax break when you file. Can anyone expand on this?
©ZH

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1045 on: October 08, 2015, 03:08:24 PM »
Unless it's something new there's an already existing tax break that says if you spend > some ungodly amount on healthcare (NOT premiums/deductibles) you get a write off.
que

Kara

« Reply #1046 on: October 08, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
You either receive the credit during the year on a monthly basis or you take it at the end of the year when you file your tax return. There's a schedule on the return that reconciles your income, cost paid, and cost that should have been paid that flows to pages 1 and 2 of your 1040.

If you take the credit monthly you don't have to pay it back dollar for dollar if you underestimated your income for the year, but generally it's advisable to revisit your estimate after significant changes in income.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1047 on: October 08, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

Watdo?

IIRC the deductibles do not apply to preventive care. As long as you're just getting physicals, xrays, etc you'd be good.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1048 on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
I've been in a similar situation since my parents started getting divorced last Spring and I had to step in to pay my mother's bills. The thing I would suggest is to work out with your parents exactly how much help they need and for how long you're going to be stuck there. He got into the debt so he had to be prepared to get out of it. Also try to still be social. I either cut off or lost touch with nearly all my friends since then and not having a sounding board for your problems is hard.

Kara

« Reply #1049 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »
.اهلا وسهلا؟ لا اهلا و صعبا

Kara

« Reply #1050 on: October 08, 2015, 04:51:05 PM »
No tanween, you fail.

Samsung's Arabic keyboard doesn't have them. :'( (At least on mine.)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1051 on: October 08, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
If you have fundamental differences in what is important for life then what's the point of the friendship? It'll just make you feel tired rather than happy to be with them.

At least use Facebook to keep in touch with your long distance friends wrath.

Tasty

« Reply #1052 on: October 08, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
It's really shocking how unforgiving friends can be.

I firmly believe I'd welcome back a prodigal friend with open arms so long as what he did wasn't completely unforgivable. Over the last few years I've learned that I'm a rarity in that regard.

People are petty and self-absorbed, nothing new there.

Actionable advice: get better friends.

Tasty

« Reply #1053 on: October 08, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
Between some high end audio gear, a Nebula 4000 handheld gimbal, and a Nexus 5X, I've spent $1,692 this week.

Month is gonna be tight. Thankfully I've been saving up for the past couple months for some of this stuff.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1054 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »

Christmas, the 4th of July, Washington's Birthday, probably missing some others.

Aren't we self-important for someone that supposedly hates themself?

:hitler
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1055 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
Also- Wrath, I've been in a similar situation. Take it from me- help your family out, but set some guidelines and deadlines. "I'm going to be here for 2 years (or whatever it is) to help you out, but after that you need to fix your own fucking shit."

Obviously I don't know all the particulars of your situation but if you keep staying indefinitely your feelings of frustration with your father are just going to get worse. That I do know.
yar

Kara

« Reply #1056 on: October 08, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »

Aren't we self-important for someone that supposedly hates themself?

:hitler

#thedualities

I was literally construing Sam's post to let me be pedantic.
[close]

« Reply #1057 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
Between some high end audio gear, a Nebula 4000 handheld gimbal, and a Nexus 5X, I've spent $1,692 this week.

Month is gonna be tight. Thankfully I've been saving up for the past couple months for some of this stuff.

This, to me, is the opposite of struggle.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1058 on: October 09, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »

Now he doesn't have any money for all of those Nintendo games coming out this month

:tocry
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1059 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »

It's a delayed struggle. I'll be feeling it by the end of the month, don't worry.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #1060 on: October 09, 2015, 01:27:13 AM »

Get the fuck outta here. Triumph thread is thattaway.
UK

Kara

« Reply #1061 on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
Have a new client meeting today and I've been in a funk for a couple of days. Times like this I wish I'd lied to keep an open Valium scrip. Narcotics letting you pass through existence high af. :aah

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1062 on: October 09, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
You need to be a chemical MacGyvere.  A box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts can get you to a similar dopey state.

Kara

« Reply #1063 on: October 09, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
Problem with that is calories. It's why I really can't binge drink to take a vacation from myself anymore.

I do need to become an :expert in OTC drug interactions though. I never know when I might need to drop out mentally, or where.

Finally I have a purpose in life. :uguu

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1064 on: October 09, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
Getting pretty hungry but feeling too lazy to cook or leave my couch to get takeout.
dur

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1065 on: October 09, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
Getting pretty hungry but feeling too lazy to cook or leave my couch to get takeout.

Leftovers

:aah
yar

Kara

« Reply #1066 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
Apparently ether is legal without a scrip. :phil

I can ether myself after being ethered by life. It's like stereo sound, but for self medicating. :leon

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1067 on: October 10, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »

Kara

« Reply #1068 on: October 10, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
Gonna look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm going to get a beautiful vintage hankie to huff it with. We is Fin de Siècle now.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1069 on: October 10, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

Yo this feeling is the worst. :fbm

even worse: ordering and regretting it. I ordered some Chinese food today (General Tso's combo which comes with shrimp fried rice and an egg role). Ate some of it and immediately regretted it. It's not bad but it's just...exhausting. Like I feel fatigue in its presence and don't even feel like finishing it.
:brazilcry

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1070 on: October 10, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
Also- Wrath, I've been in a similar situation. Take it from me- help your family out, but set some guidelines and deadlines. "I'm going to be here for 2 years (or whatever it is) to help you out, but after that you need to fix your own fucking shit."

Obviously I don't know all the particulars of your situation but if you keep staying indefinitely your feelings of frustration with your father are just going to get worse. That I do know.

Yeah. Like you and a lot of people, I had and have to be present quite a bit for my mother in the last 10 years or so. More of a time and emotional burden than money really, but the frustration do build up quite a bit especially since I'm pretty certain she won't ever really fix certain things. Do set up a deadline and beyond that consider yourself free to move abroad for instance. Walking away from a family responsibility is hard but you also have one for yourself.
ὕβρις

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1071 on: October 10, 2015, 10:48:03 PM »

this this this

Wouldn't cosign the language but still. "In x time I'm going to be doing y" is totally fair.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1072 on: October 10, 2015, 11:26:56 PM »
where solving for x and y give us 2 years and 'whores on Broadway'

Kara

« Reply #1073 on: October 12, 2015, 01:24:44 AM »
Studies, including that of an ether addict in 2003, have shown that ether causes dependence; however, the only symptom observed was a will to consume more ether. No withdrawal symptoms were prevalent.

:preach

studyguy

« Reply #1074 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »
I didn't sleep last night like at all.
Like none. Don't even feel like I'm awake now.
pause

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1075 on: October 12, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
That would've been me today but I drank two glasses of wine and some zzzquil right before I went to bed.

That was some of the best sleep I've had in a while. :aah

Kara

« Reply #1076 on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
Zzzquil doesn't have alcohol IIRC, why would you even bother? :doge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1077 on: October 12, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »
I believe there is a non-alcohol version of Zzzquil but the regular kind contains 10% alcohol.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1078 on: October 12, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »
sitting next to a neurotic jewish couple explaining the basic logic of taxes to their 5 year old and it's taking literally every ounce of my internal troll suppression to keep from laughing out loud

OMG Esch! Hi buddy
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #1079 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
sitting next to a neurotic jewish couple explaining the basic logic of taxes to their 5 year old and it's taking literally every ounce of my internal troll suppression to keep from laughing out loud

The multiverse is collapsing and you're sitting next to Earth-2 Karakand. :o :o :o :o :o

Quick, lean over and say this to the dad, "I know you cheated at pin the tail on the dinosaur at your second birthday party. The paper towel blindfold didn't fit."