Author Topic: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care  (Read 533202 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: Struggle Thread mk II - No one likes us, we don't care
« Reply #4860 on: June 12, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
There's something odd about the weed vapes. Didn't a few people get lung damage and die one or two years ago?

Probably best to just stick with edibles or smoke it like a caveman.

Clockwork5

« Reply #4861 on: June 12, 2020, 08:37:43 PM »
There's something odd about the weed vapes. Didn't a few people get lung damage and die one or two years ago?

Probably best to just stick with edibles or smoke it like a caveman.

There was a big outbreak of lung disease and deaths about 6 months ago and after looking into it yesterday it seems like it’s quietly still going on to a lesser extent.

Bebpo

« Reply #4862 on: June 12, 2020, 09:42:39 PM »
Yikes, glad you're ok now.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4863 on: June 13, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »
Glad you’re feeling better.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4864 on: June 17, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
love ya rootus, take care of yourself
每天生气

Oblivion

« Reply #4865 on: June 18, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
so i finally decided to apply for citizenship back in december, and initially things looked pretty good. i almost immediately got a date for my biometrics and that went pretty smoothly. but then i hadn't heard again from USCIS since january. today i log into my account, and i finally get an update: that my naturalization process will completed by...January. which means i won't be able to vote against that orange turd and his downballot minions this november.

one of my biggest mistakes was not applying for citizenship when obummer was in charge. for comparison, my mom got her citizenship in three months. but hey, i had no good reason not to do that, so it's all on me. i guess i could take this as a learning experience: don't procrastinate doing something under a democrat president that will make it much more difficult under a republican one :usacry
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:04:52 PM by Oblivion »

Clockwork5

« Reply #4866 on: June 18, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »
Fuck cancer.

Oblivion

« Reply #4867 on: July 02, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »
sigh. well, it seems like my little healing victory was very short lived. looks like i'm back to being in pain again. :(

but it's also really weird. it's been jumping all over the different joints in my finger. back in january/february, i was feeling most of my pain in the top joint, which the doctor said was being caused by the arthritis i mentioned. around april or may, that pain migrated to the bottom joint (this one may be possible due to my own fuckery  :doge). and now, for some reason, it's mostly on the middle joint.  it's also weird because i can still do certain things that i wasn't able to do before the cortisone shot, like the rubber band stretches.

but either way, looks like i gotta pay another trip to the doctor. it sucks cause despite all the corona bullshit, i was legitimately the happiest i've been in nearly 2 years :fbm
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:38:36 PM by Oblivion »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4868 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:50 PM »
good luck, bro
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #4869 on: July 03, 2020, 12:04:27 AM »
oh and as if that wasn't bad enough, i also found out i got cut off from unemployment  :dead

Tasty

« Reply #4870 on: July 03, 2020, 12:05:51 AM »
oh and as if that wasn't bad enough, i also found out i got cut off from unemployment  :dead

Fuck dude, that sucks. :( Hoping everything works out.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4871 on: July 03, 2020, 03:09:56 AM »

Aren't you furloughed/getting reduced hours? Even for contractors you should still be eligible.

Oblivion

« Reply #4872 on: July 03, 2020, 03:23:09 AM »

Aren't you furloughed/getting reduced hours? Even for contractors you should still be eligible.

oh i WAS eligible. but then i found out they cut me off. now i have to re-apply.

Oblivion

« Reply #4873 on: July 09, 2020, 06:37:02 PM »
Welp, back at the doctor's. Wish me luck, fellas  :doge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4874 on: July 10, 2020, 12:07:19 PM »
I’m officially in an abusive relationship with my job and don’t know what to do. Can’t quit, or I won’t get unemployment. No PTO for the rest of the year. Struggling hard.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4875 on: July 10, 2020, 06:20:13 PM »
It’s really fucked up how employers can legally shout you down and not hear your complaints or respect you at all as long as you’re not part of a protected class. I really don’t know what to do. I can’t find other work right now that will pay enough, I have spent most of the day hiding out somewhere trying not to cry. HR is virtually nonexistent, I have never met or talked to anyone in HR, no trust that I would be taken seriously. It’s untenable but right now it’s required to keep a roof over my head and my family fed. Dark thoughts all day today.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4876 on: July 10, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »
That sucks man, what happened maybe there's some persuasion tactics we can use to fix the relationship with your boss until things quiet down
🤴

shosta

« Reply #4877 on: July 10, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
Your employer is purposefully trying to abuse you until you quit. Do not break. Hang in there.
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4878 on: July 10, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »
Oh he left early today and has next week off after shouting me down to the point where I told him if I can’t even talk to express myself he’s creating a hostile work environment. It’s all part of the abuse.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4879 on: July 10, 2020, 06:24:51 PM »
Your employer is purposefully trying to abuse you until you quit. Do not break. Hang in there.

100% he is. Mostly because he doesn’t have the fortitude to fire me more so than trying to avoid the unemployment claim, I suspect

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4880 on: July 10, 2020, 06:26:59 PM »
They’re doing a bare minimum of distancing and everyone is wearing masks but only because I convinced them to, no policy for it. We’re technically not open to the public (despite doing will calls and receiving things all day) so most the requirements from the gov don’t apply

Oblivion

« Reply #4881 on: July 15, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »
when i went to the doc's last week, he gave me this somewhat newish experimental treatment called 'shockwave therapy'. i'm supposed to do 3 treatments, each one week apart. i was a little skeptical at first, since i didn't feel much different for the first 2-3 days (and arguably even worse at points   :brazilcry ) but these past few days....the pain seems to have gone down quite a bit.

i'm a little conflicted cause i'm willing to continue if it's working, but i also don't know if this is just like some kind of placebo effect. it's mainly cause the treatments are pretty pricey ($300 per treatment).

what do you guys think?

Bebpo

« Reply #4882 on: July 15, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »
I mean if it works, it works.

Assuming you can afford it for now and reevaluate it a bit later.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4883 on: July 15, 2020, 08:44:59 PM »
when i went to the doc's last week, he gave me this somewhat newish experimental treatment called 'shockwave therapy'. i'm supposed to do 3 treatments, each one week apart. i was a little skeptical at first, since i didn't feel much different for the first 2-3 days (and arguably even worse at points   :brazilcry ) but these past few days....the pain seems to have gone down quite a bit.

i'm a little conflicted cause i'm willing to continue if it's working, but i also don't know if this is just like some kind of placebo effect. it's mainly cause the treatments are pretty pricey ($300 per treatment).

what do you guys think?
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=47554.0

Oblivion

« Reply #4884 on: July 15, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »

what do you guys think?
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=47554.0

i actually tried this several months ago. sadly didn't do much aside from offer a few hours of slight relief.  :goty2

Tasty

« Reply #4885 on: July 15, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »

what do you guys think?

Is it as bad as it sounds? :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Oblivion

« Reply #4886 on: July 15, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »
lol, nah. it's slightly uncomfortable, but it's like less than a minute. and despite the name, there's no electricity involved. it' all done with ultrasound.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4887 on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:36 PM »

what do you guys think?

This guy your doc?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4888 on: July 22, 2020, 03:31:14 PM »
dump what's left of your food in the garbage. not the sink, bruv! :doge

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #4889 on: August 11, 2020, 03:30:34 PM »
My dog died this morning. Not really handling it very well.

RIP, Ruby Sue.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4890 on: August 11, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »
Sorry man

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4891 on: August 11, 2020, 03:38:36 PM »
sorry bro
©@©™

Clockwork5

« Reply #4892 on: August 11, 2020, 08:47:12 PM »
I’m sorry man, she looks like a tough pup.

RIP Ruby

Bebpo

« Reply #4893 on: August 11, 2020, 11:00:34 PM »
That's terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4894 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:22 PM »
Stufte, sorry for your loss. 
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4895 on: August 14, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »
Just getting worn down day by day. They canned my mentor, made my team lead my boss. My boss quit three months after that. I just keep getting more and more responsibility. Teaching, demos, presentations. Leading the ad hoc work. Fixing other people's work. On top of that I'm doing almost all the technical design while my coworker with a decade plus of age and experience on me just chills and does nothing. Meanwhile the standard for my day to day work is to basically one up cutting edge silicon valley vendors every day. I manage the project, I do all the technical work, I do the scoping and qa. If what I submit isn't good enough after all that isn't good enough then I get told I'm not making adequate progress or my ideas aren't cutting edge enough. I don't know anything about project management. I can barely do the technical work to the standard they like. They tell me I'm doing a good job but every day feels like sisyphean failure and my brains melting. The worst thing is when I produce work and I present it to my now current boss, and he and another team lead crush the stuff I serve up unless it's absolutely at the limit of what I'm "good enough" to make. I can't let my standard of quality for work drop at all or I get torn down in front of witnesses.

Dude that sucks. If you need any advice PM me. I've been there, and have had employees that have been there. So I get it.
que

shosta

« Reply #4896 on: August 14, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
Esch... get that coworker to take some work off your plate.
每天生气

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #4897 on: August 14, 2020, 03:20:24 PM »

agree assuming he's able to contribute to a standard that would actually help? are you guys close?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #4898 on: August 17, 2020, 10:01:30 AM »
Adding osteoporosis to the list of shit fucked up with my body. Doctor said it was pretty common with my liver aids though, but what the fuck mens. no more now please.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4899 on: August 17, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »

It's a great setup right now where he does the technical work he's assigned but now nobody is assigning the work and nobody has been for months. So I just end up doing all the research and testing myself. The good thing is that I've done the research, early next week I'm calling him up and demanding he execute on some of my dozens of ideas. I already did the gap analysis too so he just needs to do the work, test and deploy. If he says no or takes his time I'm just going to make it painfully obvious to my boss that me and one guy do everything next time I get owned.

I'm gonna be blunt, I feel like your bosses aren't going to do shit for you unless you manage to do some 10X super developer bullshit that completely blows up the industry. Because then they might, just possibly, consider supporting you over another employee who's been on the payroll longer. I feel like a lot of the big, stagnant companies get insecure about the idea that a relatively new employee would be able to outdo somebody who's been in their organization for a long time. This story just stings me because it sounds so familiar.

And here's the thing, if through time and effort you get to that point where you have the ideas and skills to do some uniquely amazing work, do you really want to do it on behalf of this organization?

With all that said, maybe I'm an idiot jumping to conclusions and somebody with a bit more nuanced understanding of these situations will want to jump in and stop you from going all Jerry Maguire.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4900 on: August 20, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »
(…)I don't know anything about project management. (…)

Assign responsibility. Delegate. Acknowledge success. Reward with better responsibility. Repeat.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4901 on: August 20, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »
sun is blocked out by smoke and it feels like we imported air from the chicomms  :oreilly might be time to close the windows  :doge

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4902 on: August 20, 2020, 06:49:14 PM »
Who will like my posts if you die?  :goldberg
Margs

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4903 on: August 20, 2020, 06:54:04 PM »
Man get some self-worth.  At least ask for bitcoin for a wet job.   Also, I'll give you a like if he dies. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:59:17 PM by Madrun Badrun »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4904 on: August 20, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »
Who will like my posts if you die?  :goldberg
there aren't any fires in my county yet  :doge

BIONIC

« Reply #4905 on: August 20, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »
Sympathy likes secured  :rejoice
Margs

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4906 on: August 21, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »
Had to put my 16 year old lab down yesterday. She'd been with us since she was a pup and I was hoping she would hold out a little longer, but she just got to a point where she couldn't even walk anymore.
It's hard enough to put a dog down but having kids when you do it is way harder. Poor wife is devastated, she was the one that picked her out from the litter. :fbm
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4907 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
Sorry man. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4908 on: August 21, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
Sorry for your loss.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4909 on: August 21, 2020, 05:17:24 PM »
just go to bed stro  :doge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4910 on: August 21, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »
This week is around the week of my birthday and I have always called it my "hell week" because everything wrong happens within this week. I used to think it was just bias, that I was paying attention to the week more than others, but no. It's scientifically provable. If you take my spending and plot it out over the year it always spikes in this week due to emergencies. Like one year during this week my car died so I need to buy a new car. Did that. Then on the way home from the dealership my phone died so I had to buy a new phone.

Hearing Stro's story makes me think that the hell week curse is spreading. Sorry Stro. That sucks!
que

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4911 on: August 21, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
the curse spreads like the curse in It Follows  :-[

BIONIC

« Reply #4912 on: August 21, 2020, 05:34:57 PM »

:hump
Margs

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4913 on: August 21, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
I wish. I'd totally bang stro :fbm
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4914 on: August 21, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
It sounds like your alternator is dying/dead and so your battery discharged. Sometimes the alternator starts working again if you whack it a few times since that dislodges built up dust. You can test if that's the issue by hitting the alternator and then jump starting your car (since the battery is now discharged) but that is only a short-term fix. If the alternator is your issue, then you're going to have to replace it soon.

It's not too hard to replace an alternator yourself but no one likes doing car repairs during the summer.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4915 on: August 21, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
one man's struggle is another man's triumph of the day  :bernie

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4916 on: August 21, 2020, 08:20:24 PM »
Sorry about your tiny .01m and string of bad luck. 

shosta

« Reply #4917 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:06 PM »
Now someone is trying to fuck me in the ass? :beli what a day
:lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:42:17 PM by shosta »
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4918 on: August 24, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
 :fbm other night I had bought 3 cartons of ice cream and in the morning the power went out after some crazy lighting hit nearby and it stayed off for about 5-6 hours  :stahp like a third worl outchea  :doge

Clockwork5

« Reply #4919 on: August 26, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »
i went to get snacks and somehow bought the wrong ice cream flavor

end me now, god
A couple months ago I accidentally bought low-fat ice cream. I was pretty upset with myself.