Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley  (Read 63309 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:04 PM »
THIS MOVIE IS LIKE TAKING PURE ADRENALINE AND SHOOTING IT INTO YOUR BALLS
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Funny how all the Americans on my fb page rave about this and all the non Americans give it 7s.

Really want to find out who is right.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »
Spoiler Alert: People that give numerical scores to movies on their facebook page are the wrong ones.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2015, 01:45:08 AM »
Movie was amazing. One of the most visually arresting movies in a long while. I mean we don't really get blocknusters that go balls deep with creative artistry like this and this movie did.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2015, 01:58:52 AM »

So good.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2015, 10:20:58 AM »
Probably gonna go see this again soonish.
yar

Beezy

« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
Seeing it a 3rd time tonight with friends. :hyper

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »
Damn Teh Bore hype train making me go to the theater for a movie.  :-\
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
Damn Teh Bore hype train making me go to the theater for a movie.  :-\

You will be made to care. :bolo
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
FYI, if you wanna know more about the characters' backstory, #1 of the prequel comic comes out today, and it's about Immortan Joe's rise to power, and also Nux.

And if you don't wanna know more, it still comes out anyway. :bolo
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
"Hope is a mistake."

:lawd

Beezy

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2015, 11:01:52 PM »
My friends loved it. One said he almost cried during the desert storm scene.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »
The sandstorm is going to be one of those scenes that people bring up 10-20 years later when talking about cool scenes in movies.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2015, 12:53:56 AM »
My friends thought it was boring and did'nt like it.

It kind of made my question them as friends.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2015, 01:14:37 AM »
Saw it tonight. Fantastic, as expected. So imaginative and fun. Still think I enjoy the slightly slower spaghetti westernish pacing of RW more, but as far as balls to the wall big set piece action movies go Michael Bay was just annihilated by a 70 year old man.
zzzzz

« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2015, 04:11:33 AM »

I almost cried during that scene.

Greatest thing I've ever seen in a theater. It surpassed Avatar.

Shit, and I had high hopes for Mad Max.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2015, 06:12:23 AM »
I did'nt know Inception had such backlash. Still, it's a fun heist film with some clunky exposition. I simply dislike the ending which played the ambiguous card for no reason, setting lose a debate that was unneeded and making dumb people think the movie is some super deep complex movie. I think the problem with internet fanboys is that thier "complex" nerd movie is actually liked by normal people. So they feel the need to be above it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
You'd think Inception has like a 25% Tomato-meter from how GAF talks about it.

Based on the way GAF talks about anything, it's either a 11/10 or a 1/10 [sometimes both].
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »
I still stand by my initial impression that Avatar was a great movie-going experience. It was pretty exhilariating in theaters in spite of the clunky dialog and flat characters.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
Avatar was great to experience once in 3D on the big screen, but I never really felt the overwhelming desire to run out and watch it again as quickly as possible the way I do with Fury Road.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
I was underwhelmed by Avatar. I went into it with medium expectations based on James Cameron finally returning to sci-fi (this is the guy who did Aliens and T2, mind) and I walked out of that theater with those expectations thoroughly unmet. Maybe my fault, sure, but I wasn't even wowed by it when I saw it in IMAX 3D. Plot over gimmicks, people.

Inception blew me away. Didn't know what I was getting into, didn't follow the hype or anything aside from a trailer or two, and I was thoroughly entertained. I can still rewatch that movie. It's so grandiose and sentimental without being too on the nose (unlike, say Interstellar.)

As for Mad Max, the duststorm scene didn't really make an impression on me since it was spoiled in the trailer and is the most CG-heavy spot in the movie (that I could tell.) The best scenes for me in the movie were the parts where the characters are fighting on the cars, or when the chase scenes ramp up with the music (I especially loved the bikers flying over the dunes next to the war rig.)

Two bits of dialog made me cringe in my seat, though. "What are you looking for?" "Redemption." ::)

"Remember me?" <- What? I was expecting a more badass line to be sure, but even just something that made sense in-context would have worked too. Or hell, even silence. Was there anything in the movie to suggest Joe had forgotten Furiosa? Cause from where I sat he was completely fixated on her for the entire thing.

Amazing action movie of course, just some bits that stuck out to me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »
I felt the implication with “Remember me?” was that /this/ was not the Furiosa which Immortan Joe would have remembered. She’s been enslaved to him, and now she was free -- she was forcing him to view her again, afresh.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
Told a friend they should go see it, they asked if I'd see it again and with no hesitation I said "fuck yes I will!" slightly above an indoor voice. Kinda took myself by surprise because I've seen less than a movie a year in theaters on average, let alone seeing the same movie twice in less than a week.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »
I saw it again in the worst circumstances imaginable— tiny 3D screen with two friends, one whom loved, while the other bitched throughout the entire movie... especially about the guitar guy. This is what I get for recommending this over Pitch Perfect 2 to gay guys.

I wonder if I can should it a third time in an optimal setting with a more receptive group.
Unzip

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
George Miller went all out on the lore for this movie. Just spent like an hour reading about the different characters and tribes. I'm so down to read some prequel comics.
zzzzz

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2015, 09:29:24 PM »
Bought the comic today. That gives some insight

Beezy

« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2015, 09:49:06 PM »
Where is the comic being sold? Physical, not digital.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
Is this a bad movie to watch alone?
I did'nt know Inception had such backlash. Still, it's a fun heist film with some clunky exposition. I simply dislike the ending which played the ambiguous card for no reason, setting lose a debate that was unneeded and making dumb people think the movie is some super deep complex movie. I think the problem with internet fanboys is that thier "complex" nerd movie is actually liked by normal people. So they feel the need to be above it.

I went into it hating the rabid Nolan fanboys but liked it and thought the ending was smart as the whole point was that Leo just accepts what he sees without questioning it anymore. It had to be an ambiguous ending.

Beezy

« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
No, I saw it alone the first time.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:26 PM »
Where is the comic being sold? Physical, not digital.
I picked it up at my local comic shop. One that sells out pretty easily as they order conservatively and they still had plenty of copies.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »
I saw it again in the worst circumstances imaginable— tiny 3D screen with two friends, one whom loved, while the other bitched throughout the entire movie... especially about the guitar guy. This is what I get for recommending this over Pitch Perfect 2 to gay guys.

The one that liked is a keeper. Gay Bro and all that.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
Up to around $125 million now which is close to the budget. I had only expected hott brehs like on The Bore to be hyped enough to see it. But now I'm expectin' the sequels, George.

While checking on it, found out Furious 7 is still top box office of the year and the 4th highest grossing film (non-adjusted) ever: $1.489 billion. Avengers 2: $1.151 billion.

Course there's The Star War and Spectre coming. Plus Entourage obviously. And Magic Mike XXL.

benjipwns

« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »
He had said there's two sequels he had the story for while doing Fury Road, one of which was tilted Mad Max: Furiosa. I think that originally was supposed to be the second one. Might just be a title change.

EDIT: In that story:
Miller, who began filming “Fury Road” in 2012, had said several years ago that he planned to shoot two films back-to-back, with the second titled “Mad Max: Furiosa,” but Warner Bros. has not confirmed that there will be any more films in the franchise.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:46:23 AM by benjipwns »

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2015, 12:42:18 AM »

The one that liked is a keeper. Gay Bro and all that.

He is. My fav geeky companion. Pretty well adjusted too.
Unzip

benjipwns

« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2015, 01:32:11 AM »
No you had it right, in that story he does recently say it's titled The Wasteland. So he must have changed it at some point, since even last year he was still calling it Furiosa.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
Saw it again with girlfran in Time Square. She loved it as much as I did. :rejoice
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »
Then the final chase scene happens which is 10x cooler than everything you just watched, which means it's 100x cooler than every other chase scene in every other movie combined. Impossibly cool. Chain saws, explosions, grandmas getting killed, kidnapping, metal, and a collapsed lung. This movie has everything I like and nothing I don't (horses).

Anyway I'd go on but I don't want to spoil anything. I give this movie: 100/5 stars

:ohhh
dog

Tasty

« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »
Except they're biker grandmas who've set up a literal boobie-trap and you think you're going to see some full-frontal.

:ohhh

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
Saw it again with girlfran in Time Square. She loved it as much as I did. :rejoice

Keeper.
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:27 AM »

I went into it hating the rabid Nolan fanboys but liked it and thought the ending was smart as the whole point was that Leo just accepts what he sees without questioning it anymore. It had to be an ambiguous ending.
I'd have to watch it again, but I'd only agree if there was an actual reaction from him to the thing spinning. If I remember correctly he spins it and goes about his embrace with the family not caring about it. Which sure sounds like him just accepting whatever, but the camera focusing on it seems to simply just be the audience and to keep us guessing. The movie also seemed so clear cut with it's rules and what happen that I never even would assume that he's still dreaming accept for the ambiguous ending.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
Last I read, Miller had two sequels planned, one was MM: Furiosa, and the other was not-yet-titled, so that could be The Wasteland.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
saw it again a few hours ago

only film i've ever seen twice at the pictures :rejoice
bent

helios

« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »
Just came back from seeing it.

The fucking SANDSTORM!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
"Remember me?" <- What? I was expecting a more badass line to be sure, but even just something that made sense in-context would have worked too. Or hell, even silence. Was there anything in the movie to suggest Joe had forgotten Furiosa? Cause from where I sat he was completely fixated on her for the entire thing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a statement, not a question. Joe's entire religion that he's built up for his war boys is all about doing amazing, manly deeds and then going on to Highway Valhalla. So, what Furious is saying is "Remember this moment, where everything that you'd built up was completely torn down by your own lieutenant, a woman."
[close]
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
Saw Fury Road again this afternoon. I did the 3D this time, since I did 2D last time. The 3D was meh, I barely even noticed it except for the part at the end, which I assume was added because the studio was like "Hey George Miller, we need this movie to be 3D, so could you add some 3D stuff to it?"

Having said that, the movie was still just as amazing as it was the first time. :rejoice
©@©™

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »
has there been a contrarian backlash yet? i'd like to get a proper bitter tears chub goin'.
duc

Cheddahz

« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »
Dragged my roommate to go see it with me (he normally doesn't like action movies) and he thought it was super dope

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
has there been a contrarian backlash yet? i'd like to get a proper bitter tears chub goin'.
I'll give you a chub

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »

And the real issue is not whether Hollywood has the audacity to remove the name sake of a movie franchise called MAD FREAKING MAX, and replace it with an impossible female character in an effort to kowtow to feminism.

It has.

It’s whether men in America and around the world are going to be duped by explosions, fire tornadoes, and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted AND tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes.
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
I'll give you a chub

:uguu
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »
gotta wait for the armond white review

oh wait

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/418459/maximized-madness-armond-white?target=author&tid=1152026

En route to Jurassic Park way back when, I warned my screening pal: “When Spielberg decides to scare you, you’d better duck.” But the millions of people excited by the Internet trailer for George Miller’s Mad Max: Fury Road aren’t just ducking, they’re bowing down. The odd thing is, film culture has changed so much since the 1993 Jurassic Park that trailers (a tool of marketing) have become the end-point of interest in movies. Jurassic Park’s F/X spectacle was the event; now the sell is the event. Those who were teased by Fury Road’s trailer will surely prefer it to the two-hour-plus movie. Who can blame them? But that preference signifies a huge problem. Fury Road continues the end-of-civilization premise from Miller’s 1980s Mad Max films, which starred Mel Gibson (Beyond Thunderdome was the best of them). Tom Hardy, playing survivalist-loner Max, joins a group of runaway female concubines, led by Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa, zooming for peace and regeneration in a dystopian world. With few explanatory narrative details other than the elaborate cartoonish freakdom (“Mankind has gone rogue! The Earth is sour! Who killed the world?!”), it’s all just nonstop road-rage violence. Director-writer Miller capitulates to the low instincts he originally pandered to more than 30 years ago. He’s gotten better at it — demonstrating lotsa panache — but the problem is that popular taste has degraded into an appetite for outlandish destruction and fantastic cruelty. The pop audience (and not just youth) has become like the crazed yahoos Miller depicts on screen without exactly satirizing them. The most watchable moments of Fury Road offer chase-movie overstatement to a point of laughable shrillness: Among the starving masses begging for water, one can be spotted lifting up a bedpan to catch his rationed portion. Fury Road itself is a bedpan filled with crazed details. Miller overflows it, intending audiences to get drunk on his excess — drunk on what Bill Murray in Quick Change called “used wine.” SLIDESHOW: Mad Max: Fury Road Fury Road offers nothing new; Miller rehashes his 35-year-old formula with a vengeance. There are clear, split-second edits of motorized, diesel-fueled caravans topped by jungle drums and a flame-thrower rock guitarist hurtling through the desert; Max strapped to the front of the juggernaut like a hood ornament; a car outfitted with rusted metal porcupine quills; and assorted branded, tattooed, screaming weirdos — at one point swaying like pole-vaulters across the width of the screen. Miller doesn’t simply master this we-are-all-gladiators trope, he celebrates it. None of today’s specialists in nihilism can match this stuff. Not Darren Aronofsky, not Christopher Nolan, not Bong Joon-ho, not Quentin Tarantino. But so what? When Miller put aside the Mad Max franchise and made the marvelous Babe: Pig in the City and Happy Feet, he showed more feeling for a pig and for penguins than for humans. Hardy’s charisma is wasted (masked again, as in The Dark Knight Returns), leaving the film’s emotional core to Theron’s one-armed Furiosa — a grindhouse cliché like the one-legged Rose McGowan in Planet Terror. None of this mindless madness is meant to scare you as Jurassic Park did. Miller’s action-cinema ferocity is hollow. His apocalyptic circus has video-game spectacle but no cinematic power; its revved-up imagery is unconnected to an understanding of what sensation and violence have done to our souls. That was the real point of Jurassic Park as well as of Neveldine/Taylor’s unnerving pre-apocalypse satire in the Crank series, Gamer, Jonah Hex, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Neveldine/Taylor stepped up action cinema and stepped forward philosophically, whereas Miller applies the intellectual version of what race-car drivers call “drag.” By overinflating the biker-movie concept (featuring whips and chains, leather and studs, and a body-pierced, dreadlocked, skinhead chorus line), Miller allows his outré flamboyance to rob subcult menace of its edge. This distracts from the cultural collapse that’s really taking place on screen. His degraded audience mistakes the sentimental ending for narrative satisfaction. That’s what happens when movie culture has moved to a state of entropy. Fury Road is essentially an expanded movie trailer, full of inflated highlights — exactly what everyone expects and has already seen.
AMC

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2015, 11:04:39 PM »
Ya, but I mean it's hard to live up to Ghost Rider 2.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2015, 11:38:30 PM »
From Armond White's review of Jonah Hex:

It reexamines assumptions of good and evil-morality tale vs, trite entertainment-by confronting the hideous compromises people make with social conventions and their own desperation.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a statement, not a question. Joe's entire religion that he's built up for his war boys is all about doing amazing, manly deeds and then going on to Highway Valhalla. So, what Furious is saying is "Remember this moment, where everything that you'd built up was completely torn down by your own lieutenant, a woman."
[close]

Hmm, sounded like she was asking a question to me. Will have to rewatch to confirm :lawd

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »
 :goty2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:55 AM »
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2015, 02:53:16 AM »
I mean Furiosa wasn't a strong character because she was badass in a tough way. She was a strong female character because in a cultish world she was the only one daring to do anything and rebel. She's strong because she's willing to actually trust and believe in people despite the madness of the world. She's an actual person willing to believe in hope and not be despaired or a maniac. And it's not simply the women can use guns. It's also that men and women are pretty equal on pretty much all aspects and actually have to work together equally.

I also never got that the movie ogled the brides. I don't know where that came from. Then again people have argued aginst what they are wearing. Though, I don't see the problem given the context. They are supposed to be untainted feminine goddess in a jacked up post Apocalypse viking cult. Also things are scarce. Why would'nt a cult leader dress up his divine brides in the most stereotypical outfit imaginable? Since it's supposed to be imagined?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »
what he said, its about representation, not tokenism. Dredd is a good feminist action movie not because it has women kicking ass in it, its a good feminist action movie because it has well developed characters kicking ass who are women, just as the men in it are.

saw Fury Road again tonight, in a sold out show. Golly, what a friggin show that is. I'm already looking forward to the Blu-Ray. Is it too much to hope that Criterion does it? Notes from the re-watch.

-Immortan Joe is actually a good character, with a good performance, not just a dude in weird gear.
-the world and setting make a bit more sense on the second time.
-wow, that music rocks.
-the fast forward stuff looks less goofy the second time around.
-shame The Valkyrie went out so soon.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2015, 03:42:09 AM »
que