Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley  (Read 63324 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »
Second, you'd hit the ocean in less than half that time.

They don't know that.
nat

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »
If the MRA set hadn't gotten their panties twisted nobody would be yelling about how feminist this film is. Don't remember anyone making a huge splash about Dredd treating Anderson like a person, and this isn't beyond that. If we were going to start doling out social justice cookies Fury Road's claim to any are thin as shit, given that it in no way undermines any inequality in the film industry (never mind the idea of Brendan McCarthy and Eve Ensler working on something that could honestly be called "progressive").

But it's just an action film about cars crashing shit, so imo it would be very strange to be disappointed by how it isn't some feminist manifesto

Beezy

« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
Saw it again.

Still really good, but it falls off a bit for awhile after they get to the many mothers.

A couple of things don't make sense. First, you could never carry enough fuel on a motorbike to go 160 days. Second, you'd hit the ocean in less than half that time.
I assumed the oceans were dried up and that's what the salt they planned on crossing was.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
If the MRA set hadn't gotten their panties twisted nobody would be yelling about how feminist this film is. Don't remember anyone making a huge splash about Dredd treating Anderson like a person, and this isn't beyond that. If we were going to start doling out social justice cookies Fury Road's claim to any are thin as shit, given that it in no way undermines any inequality in the film industry (never mind the idea of Brendan McCarthy and Eve Ensler working on something that could honestly be called "progressive").

But it's just an action film about cars crashing shit, so imo it would be very strange to be disappointed by how it isn't some feminist manifesto

Every so often, a dose of truth slips past the Hollywood censor. Occasionally, the mask comes off, and we are allowed (accidentally) to see a realistic portrayal of how American women behave in a crisis. One such example is ironic, and instructive. The scene I will discuss happened to involve Charlize Theron (the irony!). The movie was 2009’s The Road. This was a realistic and terrifying vision of what a real apocalypse might look like. This is the face of reality, not the face of Hollywood leather-clad make-believe.

There is a scene near the beginning of the film where the Charlize Theron character and her husband become aware of the calamity that has befallen civilization. She and her husband (Viggo Mortensen) also have a small child. Theron, unable to handle the collapse of social order, abandons herself to despair. She wants to kill herself. And in an extremely disturbing scene, she simply abandons her family and walks out into the night, hoping to find a place to end her life. Lacking any character or strength, she abandons her family with unforgivable cowardice.

In other words, she is the typical modern American woman: lacking in character, tenacity, and endurance, and ready to sell out her man the minute that the shit hits the fan.

This has the ring of truth. And this is what makes the scene so disturbing. This is why no critic ever commented on it. If a real apocalypse were to happen, the response of nearly all American women would be: (1) curl up into the fetal position and die; or (2) seek out a male figure to protect her. There would be no altruism. There would be no virtue. But of course, this reality is almost never portrayed. Instead, what we get is the bullshit feminist pipe-dreams of Mad Max: Charlize Theron as a bionic-armed, karate-chopping ass-kicker, able to take down bodybuilders and brutes of all types.
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
Saw it again with girlfran in Time Square. She loved it as much as I did. :rejoice

Time to put a ring on it, bb.

And Magic Mike XXL.

:phil :drool Shaka, I expect you to see this with me.

November 8th, 2012. That long turn around time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:48:18 PM by thisismyusername »

helios

« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »

That doesn't mean people aren't going to try hard as hell to make it so.

Went and saw it again. My god. What a movie.
que

Himu

« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2015, 02:16:20 AM »
One thing not touched upon often in Mad Max Fury Road reviews and impressions are the sheer wonder of its visuals: the frantic, hyperactive 48~ frames per second intro; the contrast between day - with its orange hue mapping the wasteland as far as the eye can see - and night - the blue tint that envelopes the entire screen in a stylized hue. My favorite shot is the one at night where blue is touching everything except for the fire made in camp. Another pick is shot where Furiosa stares at the vastness of the desert, feeling the weight of her of loss. The movement in that shot as the sand blows is beautiful, and touching. This movie is a such a stylized cumshot of visual goo when the action is going, but the most visually striking shots are in the quiet moments. Mad Max: Fury Road is pure movie magic (tm). Other modern Hollywood action Blockbusters fill the screen with as much mayhem as possible, such as Transformers, and always come away a little more ragid and cold than they really should, and despite their budget they never feel as cohesive, well directed, or stylized as this film. Mad Max hails from the old school camp of filmic visuals: if you don't need cg, don't touch it; if you can, simply use them to enhance what's on screen. And it worked. If Mad Max does not win awards for visuals and editing I will eat my hat.

Great movie.

Perfect action flick.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2015, 02:37:20 AM »
And the real issue is not whether Hollywood has the audacity to remove the name sake of a movie franchise called MAD FREAKING MAX, and replace it with an impossible female character in an effort to kowtow to feminism.

It has.

It’s whether men in America and around the world are going to be duped by explosions, fire tornadoes, and desert raiders into seeing what is guaranteed to be nothing more than feminist propaganda, while at the same time being insulted AND tricked into viewing a piece of American culture ruined and rewritten right in front of their very eyes.
Feminism doesn't simply mean women getting to partake in typical badass "guy stuff". Feminism is about redefining our social value system.

:huh
I love these so much. Sure, Max is mostly along for Furiosa's ride. But that's fucking the same as all the other Mad Max movies, he winds up in somebody else's problems that become his. His main instinct is to survive, just like in all the other movies. The only real difference in this one is that she's not a sidekick as much as an equal ROAD WARRIOR. And that comes as much from her knowledge of the state of affairs as doing anything "badass." Max has been trapped so he's not up to date on what's been going on and so he just tries to escape initially and has to be brought up to speed for why he's gotta wreck some people in the face before hitting the road.

benjipwns

« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2015, 02:38:21 AM »
Feminist Frequency ✔@femfreq
Sometimes violence may be necessary for liberation from oppression, but it's always tragic. Fury Road frames it as totally fun and awesome.
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2015, 03:04:39 AM »
THANK YOU! been kind of annoyed with this whole "this is not a mad max movie" complaint/observation from people who've never watched a Mad Max movie before.
It's like the whole essence of the character, he's a wanderer with "no purpose", who in his travels gets into some local affair that he can't leave behind for whatever reason including his comparatively high morals/character until the task is done and then he can't stay because of who he is.

They're really just classic Western tropes set in an apocalyptic future. With a lot more large scale action.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2015, 03:08:45 AM »
Sometimes violence may be necessary for liberation from oppression, but it's always tragic. Fury Road frames it as totally fun and awesome.

What kind of pussy-ass feminism is this where you can't even enjoy overthrowing the patriarchy? :gurl
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2015, 03:12:16 AM »
In a 1979 review, the Australian social commentator and film producer Phillip Adams condemned Mad Max, saying that it had "all the emotional uplift of Mein Kampf" and would be "a special favourite of rapists, sadists, child murderers and incipient [Charles] Mansons".
:lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
9.5/10 -IGN.com
[close]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
I think this was the best cinematic experience of my lifetime.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »
I think this was the best cinematic experience of my lifetime.
The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was the best for me too. After the storm scene ended that first chase my wife looked over and said "whoa". I think that about sums it up. I was actually grinning watching it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »
Holy shit this movie is incredible. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2015, 01:01:28 AM »

"I can't believe Ted Cruz has only been president for two weeks."
©@©™

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »
wanna be Doof Warrior for Halloween so fucking bad :stahp

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
bent

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
Finally saw this last night, this was me coming out:

My God what a movie. Already trying to think of another way to see it this week.
___

helios

« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
Just got back from watching it a second time. Jesus, it's even better the second time. The fucking Bullet Farmer has a hat made of bullets

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:58 AM »
THANK YOU! been kind of annoyed with this whole "this is not a mad max movie" complaint/observation from people who've never watched a Mad Max movie before.
It's like the whole essence of the character, he's a wanderer with "no purpose", who in his travels gets into some local affair that he can't leave behind for whatever reason including his comparatively high morals/character until the task is done and then he can't stay because of who he is.

They're really just classic Western tropes set in an apocalyptic future. With a lot more large scale action.

Also how with each film he gets pushed further and further into that classic western/samurai flilm mythical figure status. Mostly silent and near unstoppable. More spirit than man. With this film even his name gets pushed out.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2015, 01:48:39 AM »

Unzip

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:04 AM »
One of my favorite things was when he went back to the guys trailing them at one point, then came back a couple minutes later covered in blood and hauling a shit ton of weapons and supplies. One of the breeders was all, "you're bleeding" and someone else said, "that's not his blood..."
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »
One of my favorite things was when he went back to the guys trailing them at one point, then came back a couple minutes later covered in blood and hauling a shit ton of weapons and supplies. One of the breeders was all, "you're bleeding" and someone else said, "that's not his blood..."

And then at the end, he just quietly slips through the celebrating crowds and back into the wasteland.
[close]
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
When you've gone so far off the deep end that you can't enjoy Mad Max, it's just time to stop and re-evaluate your life.
que

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »

Also how with each film he gets pushed further and further into that classic western/samurai flilm mythical figure status. Mostly silent and near unstoppable. More spirit than man. With this film even his name gets pushed out.

In Beyond Thunderdome, he's literally introduced into the Thunderdome as "The man with no name"
___

Barraco Barner

« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2015, 05:45:39 PM »
Just saw it again today, it's still a really nice movie  :)

studyguy

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
Finally saw this piece of shit film.

Was pretty fucking dope, that sandstorm scene
:lawd
[close]
pause

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »
my cinematic cock remains turgid
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2015, 12:33:39 AM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:51 AM »
I like that Warner Bros logo they used for a hot minute back in the 70's and 80's.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
Saw it last night and loved it. It felt like a spiritual successor to The Warriors, where the protagonists have to run a gauntlet through a bunch of crazed people trying to kill them. But as they run that gauntlet everything is falling apart. That aspect keeps the tension high until the very end.

If it was just a movie about that, it would have been enough. But they layered on amazing stunts, memorable characters and small design touches that kept you fascinated even as they took the pedal off the gas for a few minutes.

Every time they cut to black, you could audibly hear my audience exhale.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:29:29 AM by ToxicAdam »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2015, 07:32:45 PM »
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-graphic-tale-the-visual-effects-of-mad-max-fury-road/

Holy crap, there are a LOT more special effects than I'd ever expected in this movie. Still awesome.

El Babua

Nibel

« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2015, 04:03:47 PM »
Reading that first page like  :heh
Knew it was dope, I only make premium movie threads suckaaaaaaaaaz  :ufup
SWISH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »
Brought my mom and dad to see it. It will be my third and probably final time in theaters.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Third time seeing it. Never watched a film at the pictures more than once before.

:bow
bent

ToxicAdam

« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »
"Who killed the world?"

I love that line in the movie. It's one of the first times a character looks past their nose and asks a question bigger than their own immediate survival.

I wonder if future Mad Max movies will ever seek that answer? I almost don't want them to, because I know I'll probably end up disappointed with the answer. I think I prefer the idea of the world just slowly going mad.

Himu

« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
I don't think the answer is pertinent to mad max movies so I hope it's never answered. This movie was so good it has me replaying new Vegas for third time. Been in a fallout mood ever since seeing it.

May have to re read Fist of North Star too because of it
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:42:11 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »
I don't think the answer is pertinent to mad max movies so I hope it's never answered. This movie was so good it has me replaying new Vegas for third time. Been in a fallout mood ever since seeing it.

May have to re read Fist of North Star too because of it

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
Third time tonight

Fuck it's so good :lawd

Saw it with two women and they were fucking hyped afterwards
püp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »
"Who killed the world?"

I love that line in the movie. It's one of the first times a character looks past their nose and asks a question bigger than their own immediate survival.

I wonder if future Mad Max movies will ever seek that answer? I almost don't want them to, because I know I'll probably end up disappointed with the answer. I think I prefer the idea of the world just slowly going mad.

From context, my assumption was the answer is simply "men." Men killed the world, as there simply were not enough women in positions of power; they were not allowed into positions which could have affected change.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
"Who killed the world?"

From context, my assumption was the answer is simply "men." Men killed the world, as there simply were not enough women in positions of power; they were not allowed into positions which could have affected change.

More specifically, the world was killed by warmongers, corrupt capitalists, and religious zealots [represented in the post-apocalyptic world by the Bullet Farmer, the People Eater, and Immortan Joe].
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »
I think I'm gonna try to talk a buddy into going today. 4th time might be happening. I just can't quit this movie.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
Trying to find time to go see a third showing.
que

« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »
Wife and I saw it on Saturday night. What a blast.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
We already know who killed the world:

ど助平

ToxicAdam

« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2015, 12:39:14 PM »
Haha, you're not going to trick me into watching anime.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
Haha, you're not going to trick me into watching anime.

\
ど助平

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
vin

ToxicAdam

« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Saw it.  Liked it.

Not in love with it (although fuck yes flamethrower guitar).

Kind of think the plot works better with a much older Max, long long after the nebulous historical apocalypse.  That city and setup looked much too old, especially with Furiosa being a kid living in a "clan" in "the green place" when Max in his 20s was driving around an Australia full of grass and trees as a cop.  And they had hospitals, nightclubs, etc...

I mean the plot seems to demand a Fallout type of delay between the apocalypse and the events in the film, or at least many many decades.

Miller could have framed the movie as a story retold (like he did in Road Warrior). But that is just "Hollywood fat" if you think about it.  It doesn't really make the movie better, it just helps contextualize the movie for nerds that care about timelines and 'canon' and shit like that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
George Miller doesn't care about timelines and canon, and neither should anybody else.
dog

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
You must hate comics
vin

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
Demand more sense from your fiction than your reality, brehs
yar

Himu

« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
Saw it.  Liked it.

Not in love with it (although fuck yes flamethrower guitar).

Kind of think the plot works better with a much older Max, long long after the nebulous historical apocalypse.  That city and setup looked much too old, especially with Furiosa being a kid living in a "clan" in "the green place" when Max in his 20s was driving around an Australia full of grass and trees as a cop.  And they had hospitals, nightclubs, etc...

I mean the plot seems to demand a Fallout type of delay between the apocalypse and the events in the film, or at least many many decades.

To be fair, we don't know if it's the same Max. It could very well be that old Max is dead and gave the new Max Interceptor and the title "Max".

It certainly fits with western tropes.
IYKYK

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »
He is literally called "The Man With No Name" in Thunderdome.

edit: Saw this was already pointed out.
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #239 on: June 08, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
Seriously. Mad Max is not about canon or continuity.

Continuing with what Wrath talked about, just use Yojimbo and Sanjuro as examples. They're the same character, but the timeline, and all that doesn't fucking matter. What matters are the constants: man gets involved in situation that has nothing to do with him, gets involved because he feels honor bound and wants to help, leaves like a badass. In Sanjuro, I think he doesn't even tell them his name, or if he does, it's a totally different name than was in Yojimbo.

This continues in movies like the Dollars trilogy. Timelines and canon are beside the point. What matters are the constants (Max goes from town to town and gets involved with various situations, does some good, leaves) and the themes within.
IYKYK