Author Topic: Now this is the when people say racist/dumb stuff and get fired thread.  (Read 30893 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Joe Rogan was talking about this and said that Roseanne told him she made those tweets while being 'high' on adderall and wasn't of sound mind or whatever.  Uh...right.  She also said that she thought the black lady she was making fun of was not black, but (white) Jewish.  I can actually see that based on a photo, but it was still a stupid joke that was obviously going to get her in hot water.  This Valerie Jarrett, btw-
ど助平

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Roseanne isn't of sound mind when she is not taking drugs. I think people have forgotten that since she has been out of the public eye for so long.

She legit has multiple-personality disorder. That doesn't make her above reproach for the things she typed, but it should be the baseline you start at when you consider this thing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Here's the clip- it wasn't adderall, it was ambien.  She said she "needed to adjust her meds."

ど助平

agrajag

Yeah cause she's so lucid when she's not taking ambien rite

studyguy

Yall knew the rest of the cast was looking at this woman like  :kobeyuck
Just waiting for the day she'd fuck that check up for them.

Only person that high profile who got their show thrown off syndication and lost those checks last was Cosby and that mf raped women so welcome to the club.

:umad
pause

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
I would like to hear Roseanne’s thoughts about Cosby, now that I think about it. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Yeah cause she's so lucid when she's not taking ambien rite

Don't believe that shit for a second, but I can believe Roseanne didn't think she was black. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
https://www.theroot.com/for-white-people-who-pretend-to-not-understand-what-rac-1826427170

First of all, The Root is not going to fire me for voicing my own opinion on my own Twitter account that actually includes a disclaimer that tells you that even though I write for The Root, my tweets are my own opinions and have nothing to do with my employer.

OK, so by that logic, shouldn't this lady be on Roseanne's side?
:neogaf
ど助平

kingv

Roseanne isn't of sound mind when she is not taking drugs. I think people have forgotten that since she has been out of the public eye for so long.

She legit has multiple-personality disorder. That doesn't make her above reproach for the things she typed, but it should be the baseline you start at when you consider this thing.

Anyone can read her twitter for about 5 minutes and realize she is goddamned insane. It really makes me wonder how much she was involved with the scripting of her own show.

Since tweeting about Valerie Jarret, she has claimed Soros was a Nazi and that her show and firing was part of a WAnon #settingthestage action to arrest Valerie Jarrett.

She is right about one thing though. Joy Reid should be fired too.

Edit: also I don’t get why it makes sense to call him a porch monkey? If she said he was cooning or something it would at least make sense
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:29:13 PM by kingv »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
WDW

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
oh man i remember the tv guides with the fall preview being these epic like events since it was one of the only places you could actually find out about the new shows, i assume that's from the other half where they told you about all the stuff happening with the returning shows

we never got that one from the grocery store checkout line, just the new show one

spoiler (click to show/hide)
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
[close]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Seriously though, never liked her or the original series. My two ex-roommates loved it though, and considering they were both right-wingers, it probably makes sense.

The thing is the original show wasn't right wing in that way. In fact it was the last bastion of a sort of white democratic slightly liberal philosophy that existed in the mid-west. It was pro-gay rights, pro-union. anticorporatist. The Roseanne show of that time period would have been completely anti-Trump just as it was anti-George Bush Sr at the time. The original show would have seen Trump as the con-man he is.

The fact that she become what she became is more indicative of what happened to a certain demographic of white person from that time period as they got older, more embittered, and society changed.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I fell short of that standard when I was insensitive in speaking to my team about words that offend in comedy.
"This is an offensive word guys, don't use it"
"OMG he said the word!!!"

Three months later he spoke to a meeting of our Black Employees @ Netflix group and did not bring it up, which was understood by many in the meeting to mean he didn’t care and didn’t accept accountability for his words.
Why isn't he dragging up this terrible thing he said to offend more people so we can fire him?

this time Jonathan said the N-word again to two of our Black employees in HR who were trying to help him deal with the original offense.
THANK GOD we can fire him now.  :hyper

As I reflect on this, at this first incident, I should have done more to use it as a learning moment for everyone at Netflix about how painful and ugly that word is, and that it should not be used. I realize that my privilege has made me intellectualize or otherwise minimize race issues like this. I need to set a better example by learning and listening more so I can be the leader we need.
NOT A CULT NOT A CULT NOT A CULT

Coming from the same company that had Spacey harass an entire film set.  :idont
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tasty

Nintex is mentally challenged.

Mandark

• Icon
"Descriptive use" sure makes it sound like he was directing the N-word at black people as a slur, rather than quoting someone of fucking up in some other semi-innocuous way. The HR language of sensitivity and awareness winds up rhetorically softening what he did.

"He was so openly racist that he kept calling black employees the N-word even after we talked to him about it. Which is really dumb to boot. So we fired him, obviously."

Stoney Mason

White people just can't resist it. It's like the ultimate secret desire.

Papa John’s International, Inc. (NASDAQ: PZZA)today announced that the independent directors of the company have accepted the resignation of John H. Schnatter as Chairman of the Board.

John Schnatter—the founder, chairman and public face of pizza chain Papa John’s—used the N-word on a conference call in May, a source with knowledge of the event told Forbes.

The call was arranged between Papa John’s executives and marketing agency Laundry Service. It was designed as a role-playing exercise for Schnatter in an effort to prevent future public-relations snafus. Schnatter caused an uproar in November 2017 when he waded into the debate over national anthem protests in the NFL and partly blamed the league for slowing sales at Papa John's.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, the source said

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/papa-johns-pizza-founder-john-schnatter-racial-slur-n-word/

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
is that whole story real
每天生气

benjipwns

On the May call, Schnatter reportedly said the N-word while complaining that a legendary fast-food chain founder had used the word in the past without being subjected to public backlash
I bet it was Colonel Sanders. Come on, we all know he was probably talking about the Colonel.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
He was.

benjipwns

oh god i didn't even look for another story :lol

benjipwns

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Wait, when is Slav season?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
oh god i didn't even look for another story :lol

You dox, I gather OSINT. :putin

Mandark

• Icon
Really digging this trend of executives saying the n-word in meetings that have been arranged specifically to help them avoid PR fuckups.

Stoney Mason

A special committee of the board of directors met on Sunday to discuss its founder John Schnatter, who resigned his chairmanship last week after making racist comments. The board decided to kick him out of his office at Papa John's headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky.

Papa John's (PZZA) also announced that Schnatter will "cease all media appearances, and not make any further statements to the media regarding the company, its business or employees," the company said in a statement. Papa John's announced Friday it would remove Schnatter's image from its marketing materials.

Schnatter remains on the board and still owns 30% of the company's shares.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/16/news/companies/papa-johns-office/index.html

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
When the board of directors has to meet on a Sunday, you know you're fucked.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
I'm guessing the next step for the board is trying to buy out his 30%. Dude's already loaded, so he could just let the shares go.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Rename it to Papa Schattner's
每天生气

benjipwns

Papa John's (PZZA)
i love when companies do this

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
You know PJ is raging everyday about this because he didn't do anything wrong and it's the PC police's fault. He's the real victim here.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I think Colonel Sanders should have to step down as well.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
At this point I'm surprised that these companies don't have someone in PR making sure everyone scrubs their old edgelord Twitter history.

Tasty

2008-2009 is a lifetime ago. I was in fucking high school back then.

This might be the first time I break with the larger progressive community on this stuff -- his firing was uncalled for. I get the feeling he's a sacrificial lamb for the left though, a way of showing conservatives they don't take sides when it comes to controversial statements.

Tasty

Jay Bauman probably won't be a happy camper, though this might mean Gunn will go back to his roots which he might enjoy even more. :thinking

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

I am shocked—shocked—to find that jokes are going on in here!

Tasty

James Gunn did Nazi this coming.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
James Gunn did Nazi this coming.
*reported to your employer.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Eh, you get fired for shit like when you're in a very public role. It's the type of thing that makes it impossible to do interviews. What if Zoe Saldana, mother of three, was getting interviewed during Guardians of the Galaxy press tour and someone is like, hey let me read you some tweets of the director of this film for a children's entertainment company wrote joking about raping kids. There's no way to contain that shit.
vin

Tasty

I dunno, I mean Fantastic Beasts is sticking with Depp despite all this shit surrounding him, and that's essentially another kids'/teens' franchise.

Nola

This might be the first time I break with the larger progressive community on this stuff -- his firing was uncalled for. I get the feeling he's a sacrificial lamb for the left though, a way of showing conservatives they don't take sides when it comes to controversial statements.

Mostly I see it as Marvel covering their ass.

Though I do think in general it's a silly thing to build a social code that basically robs from consideration possible context and moral development and treats things people said 5, 10, 15 years ago as if they automatically represent their beliefs today and should be judged by today's standards. Sometimes that is the case and sometimes it's not, and that should be a major hinge in the process of that judgement, as there is a reason behavior and context is a pivotal component of sentencing, charges, and duration.

Of course people and companies aren't going to act like that so maybe just don't say dumb shit on public forums with your identity attached, especially when you have a public facing job that garners notoriety and scrutiny?

seagrams hotsauce

welp, i guess we were the assholes after all for dunking on Gary Whitta when he sanitized his Neogaf post history

Mandark

• Icon

Gunn was in his 40's.

I get that he was going for transgressive humor, that he was speaking to a much different and narrower audience back then, and basically got fucked over by context collapse. But if you're going to be a very publicly visible creator as well as the steward of a nine figure investment by a major corporation, and you leave those tweets up? Gotta charge that to the game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
At this point I'm surprised that these companies don't have someone in PR making sure everyone scrubs their old edgelord Twitter history.

It really blows my mind that there are people who became famous [or more famous] in the past few years who haven't gone back and completely scrubbed their early social media posts off the face of the earth.
dog

Tasty

Gunn was in his 40's.

I get that he was going for transgressive humor, that he was speaking to a much different and narrower audience back then, and basically got fucked over by context collapse. But if you're going to be a very publicly visible creator as well as the steward of a nine figure investment by a major corporation, and you leave those tweets up? Gotta charge that to the game.

You're correct of course. TBH I've been thinking of making my current Twitter private, moving it to a different username, and starting a new account in its place.

I'm 99% sure I've never said anything that inflammatory, but who knows what the future will judge as outrageous.

Mandark

• Icon

It really blows my mind that there are people who became famous [or more famous] in the past few years who haven't gone back and completely scrubbed their early social media posts off the face of the earth.

People who have a manager! And an agent! And a publicist! Who work for or with companies that have marketing and PR staff!

Tasty

Also, even if Gunn deleted the tweets years ago, who knows what's available on aggregators? I'm 100% sure Disney would still have fired him today even if he deleted the tweets as soon as he joined the first GotG, because the same conservatives would still have found the tweets somehow, and it is something he said at some time.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
I dunno, I mean Fantastic Beasts is sticking with Depp despite all this shit surrounding him, and that's essentially another kids'/teens' franchise.
Warner Brother's isn't Disney for one thing, they're the company that made Batman v. Superman, the contact with Depp is probably crushing if they can him, and I fucking guarantee they're regretting sticking with him at this point (also from a pr point it sounded like Amber Heard wanted her privacy protected about this, which means any journalist/interviewer that wants a gotcha moment during is going to have to toss her under the bus as well, not the case with Gunn).
vin

Mandark

• Icon
I'm 99% sure I've never said anything that inflammatory, but who knows what the future will judge as outrageous.

"A shock development in the race for county executive as the heavy favorite Andrex Q. Meat withdrew from the race today, following revelations about old tweets containing controversial, and some say offensive, statements on smartphone operating systems and 'sucking dick from the back.'"

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
Rule of thumb should be to prune anything over a year old on your social media. Famous people should also just create an anonymous accounts if they want to be edgelords.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
He should have to change his name to James Wizardd also.
©@©™

agrajag

Also, even if Gunn deleted the tweets years ago, who knows what's available on aggregators? I'm 100% sure Disney would still have fired him today even if he deleted the tweets as soon as he joined the first GotG, because the same conservatives would still have found the tweets somehow, and it is something he said at some time.

I'm 100% sure Disney knew about those tweets and didn't care as long as no one raised a stink about it and he kept making them money.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:48:43 PM by agrajag »

benjipwns

"A shock development in the race for county executive as the heavy favorite Andrex Q. Meat withdrew from the race today, following revelations about old tweets containing controversial, and some say offensive, statements on smartphone operating systems and 'sucking dick from the back.'"
last part will be a boon, what with the crisis that men will be in due to the unstoppable march of stuck up bitches conditioned by the feminazi's, plus they'll all be doing steroids and working out with other dudes and one thing leads to another...

Mandark

• Icon
If Gunn had deleted them back when he took on GotG, they could release a statement about how he used to go for shock humor, realized years ago how hurtful it was to other people, etc. Maybe they still cut bait, but it's a better shot than leaving it up for sure.

One thing that bothers me is that people absolutely went digging cause of how he was talking about Trump and they were looking for a scalp. So it's basically the sort of vindictive, feigned outrage that those people imagine all of #metoo is, and it just got rewarded.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
When the video begins, Roseanne Barr is talking to an off-camera producer who’s encouraging her to speak like she’s giving a presidential address. She seems to have a hard time understanding him and keeps dropping her head into her hands.

“I’m trying to talk about Iran,” she says loudly to the producer. “I’m trying to talk about Valerie Jarrett wrote the Iran Deal. That’s what my tweet was about.”

“I know,” he responds. “You’ve explained this literally 300 times.”

“I thought the bitch was white!” Barr screams. “Goddamnit! I thought the bitch was white! Fuck!”

She then takes a drag on her cigarette and looks offscreen.

:idont
dog

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Even I went back and mass wiped my twitter after college after re-reading some of the things written while blackout

dur