Author Topic: The Bore does what NeoGAF doesn't.  (Read 3262895 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: The Bore does what NeoGAF doesn't.
« Reply #27420 on: September 21, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
From that "Youtube Heroes" (:doge) thread.

It's basically the same qualifications as moderating a Web Forum... cool to talk about in passing, impossible to actually advertise on a resume

Eh, some people get paid to moderate forums. I think it has a lot of transferable skills. Decision making, driving and following processes, resolving conflict, analytical and problemsolving, etc.

:lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #27421 on: September 21, 2016, 06:13:43 PM »
ὕβρις

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #27422 on: September 21, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
GAF at the point where soldiers saying mean and racist things about the enemy is more offensive than killing the enemy.

The horror.
bent

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #27423 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
that thread is great. all these people offended by the PC master race meme :heh

(Image removed from quote.)

:neogaf

I don't think I've ever encountered a single instance of "PCMR" being used un-ironically.

I've seen it a bunch on twitter and reddit - honestly I would put the whole existence and popularity of the PCMR subreddit in the "unironic" category.
QED

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #27424 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »
Quote from: bishoptl
My current text ringtone is Ice Cube's "YO WE GOT A PROBLEM HERE?" from Boyz In The Hood. Nobody's said shit to me about it and I'd like to see them try.

OP should demand the request in writing, but only after reporting his manager's ass to HR.

:badass

can absolutely imagine it going off on public transport and him just leaving it to ring while eyeing down every white person over 60 or under 120lbs.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27425 on: September 21, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »
that thread is great. all these people offended by the PC master race meme :heh

:neogaf

I don't think I've ever encountered a single instance of "PCMR" being used un-ironically.

I've seen it a bunch on twitter and reddit - honestly I would put the whole existence and popularity of the PCMR subreddit in the "unironic" category.

I ironically use it unironically. I'm on the cutting edge of pop culture though, so it's okay if you don't understand.
©@©™

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #27426 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:23 PM »
My current text ringtone is Ice Cube's "YO WE GOT A PROBLEM HERE?" from Boyz In The Hood. Nobody's said shit to me about it and I'd like to see them try.

OP should demand the request in writing, but only after reporting his manager's ass to HR.

can absolutely imagine it going off on public transport and him just leaving it to ring while eyeing down every white person over 60 or under 120lbs.

I doubt he'd have the balls to even do that. He doesn't have GAF powers in the real world.

nudemacusers

« Reply #27427 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
I ironically use it because I play all my games on iOS
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Raist

« Reply #27428 on: September 21, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (haven't watch Boyz in years) but isn't that from very the same scene where he then tells a girl to "fuck off bitch" or whatever when she's just like calm down guys or something?

That's not very progressive :/

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27429 on: September 21, 2016, 07:14:28 PM »

I doubt he'd have the balls to even do that. He doesn't have GAF powers in the real world.

©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #27430 on: September 21, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
You son of a bish

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #27431 on: September 21, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »

Holy shit, so that's why people call evilore an elf? Dem ears.  :omg

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #27432 on: September 21, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27433 on: September 21, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217667066&postcount=116

:point Buying Season Passes :point

Remember when Assassin's Creed Unity was so shitty, the didn't even bother making DLC for it after selling a Season Pass? They refunded everyone, but still. :lol Spend money on unseen Ubisoft products, brehs.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #27435 on: September 21, 2016, 09:06:13 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217667066&postcount=116

:point Buying Season Passes :point

Remember when Assassin's Creed Unity was so shitty, the didn't even bother making DLC for it after selling a Season Pass? They refunded everyone, but still. :lol Spend money on unseen Ubisoft products, brehs.

At least I got the DLC story bit out of it for free with no cost outside of buying Unity base on sale. :yeshrug

Shuri

« Reply #27436 on: September 21, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27437 on: September 21, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »
Holy shit, so that's why people call evilore an elf? Dem ears.  :omg

:lore
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #27438 on: September 21, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fq_OYmLC3w
:mindblown

Don't touch that dial now we're just getting started.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hear April 26th?
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #27439 on: September 21, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »
My paranoid prepper uncle thinks it means that Trump will be assassinated on the 26th, the date of the debates.
que

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #27440 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »
Today I drank so much coffee that I got high

It wasn't like I've heard people describe; my heart rate wasn't higher, my bloodpressure didn't rise, I didn't get jitters and my body didn't tense up. What did happen was colors seemed more vibrant and saturated and my thinking changed somewhat. My attention span became a bit shorter, but if I managed to focus on something for normal time, it's like my thought process was faster and I came to conclusions more quickly.

Fish<

« Reply #27441 on: September 21, 2016, 09:58:08 PM »
I cant believe they banned master race  :lol

Of all the things to criticize I'm kind of surprised by this one. I mean, I get it. GAF is an overly sensitive hugbox. Getting offended by tongue-in-cheek usage of a phrase like this!? But even if the historical significance of the term "master race" doesn't justify banning it, I would personally argue that this is secondary to the fact that it's simply an old as fuck meme that stopped being funny ages ago. Yahtzee popularized it, what, nine years ago? Whether you're a console person calling out PC elitism or you're a PC person embracing your perceived superiority, throwing out "glorious PC master race" is a pretty good indication that you're an unfunny jackass.

zepblackstar

« Reply #27442 on: September 21, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
Today I drank so much coffee that I got high

It wasn't like I've heard people describe; my heart rate wasn't higher, my bloodpressure didn't rise, I didn't get jitters and my body didn't tense up. What did happen was colors seemed more vibrant and saturated and my thinking changed somewhat. My attention span became a bit shorter, but if I managed to focus on something for normal time, it's like my thought process was faster and I came to conclusions more quickly.

Thats not how coffee works......

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27443 on: September 21, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
My paranoid prepper uncle thinks it means that Trump will be assassinated on the 26th, the date of the debates.

I still have hope the FBI will put Hillary in jail before that can happen.
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #27444 on: September 21, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »
stopped being funny ages ago.

yet count dookkake still posts

I agree with you, it's just dumb. Historical significance aside it's just thread derailing.
[close]
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27445 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »

Of all the things to criticize I'm kind of surprised by this one. I mean, I get it. GAF is an overly sensitive hugbox. Getting offended by tongue-in-cheek usage of a phrase like this!? But even if the historical significance of the term "master race" doesn't justify banning it, I would personally argue that this is secondary to the fact that it's simply an old as fuck meme that stopped being funny ages ago. Yahtzee popularized it, what, nine years ago? Whether you're a console person calling out PC elitism or you're a PC person embracing your perceived superiority, throwing out "glorious PC master race" is a pretty good indication that you're an unfunny jackass.

And that should be enough.  There's no reason to outright ban shit because they're old memes/phrases that no longer amuse people as much as they used to. 
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #27446 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »
Ban all memes

Report memers to the FBI
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27447 on: September 21, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
Ban all memes

Report memers to the FBI

ど助平

« Reply #27448 on: September 21, 2016, 10:48:41 PM »

And that should be enough.  There's no reason to outright ban shit because they're old memes/phrases that no longer amuse people as much as they used to.

Well, it's an old, unfunny meme only used for system wars purposes.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27449 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:33 PM »

Well, it's an old, unfunny meme only used for system wars purposes.

Not always-- and that still doesn't mean it should be ban-worthy.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #27450 on: September 21, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
Dude, it's GAF. Where mods micromanage people's thoughts and manufacture reality. A place where the powers that be decide that something as inherently subjective as humor is objectively bad or good and therefore can be deemed ban-worthy. YOU WILL GET BANT IF A MOD THNKS YOU AREN'T FUNNY

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #27451 on: September 21, 2016, 11:04:07 PM »
but muh ban-boner bruh!
que

railGUN

« Reply #27452 on: September 21, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »
Fish<

agrajag

« Reply #27453 on: September 21, 2016, 11:08:01 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #27454 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282532

Gross.
Man, the irony is that I have a lot of Polynesian friends that were so excited about how this movie was going to bring their culture to the forefront and the exposure it would get, the idea of little Moana's running around like all the Elsas we have now was something they were excited about. Now they're like :goty "OK...."
que

Shuri

« Reply #27455 on: September 21, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »
You never see gaffers protesting those models who cosplay as asian characters.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #27456 on: September 21, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »
FHUTA
que

agrajag

« Reply #27457 on: September 21, 2016, 11:20:46 PM »

Jansen

« Reply #27458 on: September 21, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #27459 on: September 21, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »
Kinda amazed that companies continue to cater to these small, loud (white) minorities of people who are outraged over stuff most people don think twice about.

railGUN

« Reply #27460 on: September 21, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »
Honestly, none. That fact people participate in a day that mocks different cultures and religions/beliefs is gross.

GROSS

:lol :lol :lol
[close]
Fish<

« Reply #27461 on: September 21, 2016, 11:36:11 PM »
Dude, it's GAF. Where mods micromanage people's thoughts and manufacture reality. A place where the powers that be decide that something as inherently subjective as humor is objectively bad or good and therefore can be deemed ban-worthy. YOU WILL GET BANT IF A MOD THNKS YOU AREN'T FUNNY

Meh. This is one of those things where I don't necessarily expect you to believe me or care about my personal story, but my banning has dropped precipitously each year since starting to the point where I'm averaging about 2 bans a month now for mainly flagrant offenses. I just don't really have it in me any more to go out looking for ways to swing the ban hammer. I've got one kid turning five next week, another on the way, and increasing responsibilities at my paying day job. Combing through a thread so that it's a graveyard of grayed out names takes way too much effort.

All I was getting at is that I just personally find it odd to see people genuinely try to make a case that there's anything redeemable about the master race meme.

1.) "Master race" has exactly the kind of offensive historical context that it's hardly unexpected that modern day GAF and all its political correctness would not allow it.

2.) Ignoring point one, its usage the overwhelming majority of the time is to incite system wars stuff. Either it's a console fan humorously trying to point out the arrogance of all PC fans, or its a PC person trying to own it as a badge of honor because the PC is clearly the superior platform. Either way, one side is trying to poke the hornet's nest by invoking it.

3.) Ignoring point one AND two, it's an old-as-shit meme that has been done to death. So any notion that we should stop being so uptight because it's hilarious and all in good fun just rings hollow.

But it's fine if you guys disagree. After all, this is the bitch about GAF thread. Carry on.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27462 on: September 21, 2016, 11:38:01 PM »
but muh ban-boner bruh!

Talk about old and played out.  People have been derailing threads with those Black Snake Moan pics for a decade now.  BAN 'EM ALL!  :doge
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #27463 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:29 PM »
Congrats Steve! Baby making machine  :tauntaun
dur

agrajag

« Reply #27464 on: September 21, 2016, 11:40:33 PM »
Oh come on SY, you know damn well that you're one of the few GAF mods that is highly regarded. My post was alluding to mods issuing bans that aren't based on polocy but rather based on what THEY feel are acceptable views to hold, including humor.

but muh ban-boner bruh!

Talk about old and played out.  People have been derailing threads with those Black Snake Moan pics for a decade now.  BAN 'EM ALL!  :doge

But how will bish's e-peen be stroked then?

« Reply #27465 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
Oh come on SY, you know damn well that you're one of the few GAF mods that is highly regarded. My post was alluding to mods issuing bans that aren't based on polocy but rather based on what THEY feel are acceptable views to hold, including humor.

Bah. I'm not active enough here (or even GAF for that matter) to be highly regarded. I don't even get included in the STL meetup invites anymore.

And yes, I'm just trying to make Shaka feel bad there. Or maybe he really does hate me. It's probably the latter.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27466 on: September 21, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
All I was getting at is that I just personally find it odd to see people genuinely try to make a case that there's anything redeemable about the master race meme.

Is anyone really saying this, though? 

1.) "Master race" has exactly the kind of offensive historical context that it's hardly unexpected that modern day GAF and all its political correctness would not allow it.

Maybe that overly sensitive hugbox has infected you.  :P  It's a stupid, tongue-in-cheek meme that has absolutely nothing to do with the way the "master race" ideology from decades and decades ago was used.  I don't care about it.  I don't use it.  It's played out.  It's stupid.  But it's not ban-worthy unless it's clearly just someone trolling and attempting to derail a thread.
2.) Ignoring point one, its usage the overwhelming majority of the time is to incite system wars stuff. Either it's a console fan humorously trying to point out the arrogance of all PC fans, or its a PC person trying to own it as a badge of honor because the PC is clearly the superior platform. Either way, one side is trying to poke the hornet's nest by invoking it.

Like I said above.  Makes sense for flamebait/blatant shit-trolling.  But you can't possibly tell me that every time someone drops that term that's all they're trying to do. 

:cmonson

3.) Ignoring point one AND two, it's an old-as-shit meme that has been done to death. So any notion that we should stop being so uptight because it's hilarious and all in good fun just rings hollow.

Yeah, it is.  And you should stop being so uptight about it.

:ufup
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #27467 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »

Bah. I'm not active enough here (or even GAF for that matter) to be highly regarded. I don't even get included in the STL meetup invites anymore.

And yes, I'm just trying to make Shaka feel bad there. Or maybe he really does hate me. It's probably the latter.

Who is Shaka on here? A bunch of people changed their names on the bore, so I just know them as Boreans and not their GAF incarnations

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27468 on: September 21, 2016, 11:52:41 PM »

Who is Shaka on here? A bunch of people changed their names on the bore, so I just know them as Boreans and not their GAF incarnations

He's...Shaka.  :lol

He's not as active here as he once was.  Happens with a lot of people on this board.  Names also get changed because of e-stalking shit.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #27469 on: September 21, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »

He's not as active here as he once was.  Happens with a lot of people on this board.  Names also get changed because of e-stalking shit.

Oh thats right, but Shaka used to be someone else on GAF. The name escapes me. He had a panda avatar I think.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27470 on: September 21, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »

Oh thats right, but Shaka used to be someone else on GAF. The name escapes me. He had a panda avatar I think.

I don't recall that, but Shaka's former identity was changed because of e-stalking.  It's kind of funny to me because the names he has used are similar enough to each other that you'd think someone looking for him would know who it was.  :doge
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #27471 on: September 21, 2016, 11:59:56 PM »
Shut up, you're ruining the lore.

Bans feed the Blood God.  :bow Hail our tyrant that reigns supreme.  :bow2
Notice his careful wording:
my banning has dropped precipitously each year since starting to the point where I'm averaging about 2 bans a month
It must mean he has finally completed his project of turning ModBot into a fully operative mass genocidal machine. Now nothing will be able to stop its War on Humanity.

All while Mr. Youngblood gets to claim his hands are clean and that he's one we should love for protecting us from even more of ModBot's rampages.

benjipwns

« Reply #27472 on: September 22, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »
I warned you all there was a plan! I tried to warn GAF there was a plan! Some of PoliGAF believes there's a plan!

And unlike the Cylons, there actually is one.
Baby making.

:tauntaun
Reproduction. Heirs to the Throne of the Blood God.
[close]
[close]
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #27473 on: September 22, 2016, 12:07:14 AM »
GAF is the only forum I've posted on where you don't know who banned you. Unless it was bish, then you'll hear from the horde of gloating and cackling groupies.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27474 on: September 22, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »
I think that dude who makes reaction gifs of himself should be banned on principle alone

Who is this?  :lol
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #27475 on: September 22, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
I've always said that of all the gaf mods Steve youngblood is definitely one of them
que

benjipwns

« Reply #27476 on: September 22, 2016, 12:13:29 AM »
GAF is the only forum I've posted on where you don't know who banned you. Unless it was bish, then you'll hear from the horde of gloating and cackling groupies.
Bish gets credit for threads that he hasn't even massacred. There was one where I think Stump had to post he did it and why because of the Bish circle-jerking was getting it all wrong.

Some of the mods do give it away in the ban message if it's a "nicer" and longer explained ban, either by the message itself or I know some people have gotten names attached. Although mine always seem to say "This is NOT Steve Youngblood btw." Or something along those lines at the end.

Like I'd fall for that Youngblood!

« Reply #27477 on: September 22, 2016, 12:14:53 AM »
I've always said that of all the gaf mods Steve youngblood is definitely one of them

There are days when you look around and wonder what it's all for. It just doesn't seem worth it. Am I even making a difference? But then I see a sentiment like this and I remind myself that I'm out there doing it for all the I'm a Puppy!'s in the world.

railGUN

« Reply #27478 on: September 22, 2016, 12:21:03 AM »
My permaban message says "Seeya!" and nothing more.

Not really, since, you know, I'm permabanned, asshole.
Fish<

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #27479 on: September 22, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Then it was Steve. Because he knew he would seeya at teh boer
rub