Author Topic: America sucks (or maybe just Texas does....I don't know)  (Read 5944 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
America sucks (or maybe just Texas does....I don't know)
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:24:29 AM »
I normally don't make threads like this but why aren't more people up in arms that shit like this is happening in this country. I mean you have politicians basically out there making hate speech and you have idiots like these who follow up on their words.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/armed-protesters-set-up-outside-islamic-center-of-irving.html/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:47:52 AM by Stoney Mason »

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
Re: America sucks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
Worst part is it just gives ISIS fuel.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:31:18 AM »

Exactly.

Posted this to my Facebook feed given the amount of Islamphobia and terror-scare tactics some the red-state high-school people I know posting that crap all this week:

(Image removed from quote.)

Can't wait for the drama to unfold tomorrow afternoon when they go "BUT THEM DARK SKINS ARE STEALING MY LIFES!"

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:34 AM »
I mean I don't even care about ISIS and broader implications. You have people armed in front of a place of worship to try to threaten and intimidate people.

This is like from another era of civil rights style oppression. And yet the news tomorrow will be filled with the latest exploits of the kardashians or the the new wacky racist thing Trump said today. What is going on?

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 12:34:53 AM »
*Texas sucks

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:37 AM »
Their individual albums might not be very good, but their 1975 greatest hits album is pretty ace from start to finish.

Sausage

Re: America sucks (or maybe just Texas does....I don't know)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:50:57 AM »
These aren't true Texans.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 04:30:32 AM »
Meh. ISIS are triggered by democracy or anything.

Still a disgrace. Might be technically legal but how is that not intimidation and a threat of violence ?
ὕβρις

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 06:21:12 AM »

I'd agree with Stoney that the worst part is that masked, armed groups intimidating others based on religion an/or skin color is considered okay in 2015. Bombing ISIS gives them fuel, this just terrorizes Americans.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
Dude if 20 muslims set up shop with rifles outside some some white peoples place SWAT would be up their ass in seconds

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
Dude if 20 muslims set up shop with rifles outside some some white peoples place SWAT would be up their ass in seconds

Reality doesn't intrude on his idiotic libertarian nutjob fantasy world. Which is why I didn't even pretend to make a reasonable thread. I won't even make a pretense on something so clearly insane but ONLY IN AMERICA style logic.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
it's just a peacable assembly with some firearms. Totally constitutional. :doge
que

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
We're a country of 300 million people. It's not that hard to gather a dozen kooks for anything really.  Don't let it get you down.

So many people operate on fear and are constantly fed things to be fearful about, so it's not surprising if some lose their minds.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.

They do mean people you disagree with will sometimes assemble and say things you don't like.  Then you can say what you want to about them.

/shrug

Though I'm guessing this isn't so much a whine about the 1st thread as it is a whine about the 2nd.

I'm no constitution expert but just as yelling "fire" in a crowded room isn't protected by the Bill Of Rights, I'm pretty sure intimidation isn't either.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
"911, what is your emergency?"

"Uh, there are masked, armed people outside chanting hateful things outside my place of worship. I'm scared to leave."

"Yeah, we know. We're a country of 300 million people. It's not that hard to gather a dozen cooks for anything really. Don't let it get you down."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
I'd love to see Muslims return this favour.  Quickest way to get rid of open carry gun laws. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
I'd love to see Muslims return this favour.  Quickest way to get rid of open carry gun laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

:hitler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »
I know its what made me do the comment. 

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »

They do mean people you disagree with will sometimes assemble and say things you don't like.  Then you can say what you want to about them.

/shrug

Though I'm guessing this isn't so much a whine about the 1st thread as it is a whine about the 2nd.

Do you believe menacing should be a crime? (I'm not asking in bad faith, if you don't think it should be then there's nothing to really discuss.)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »

/shrug

Do you believe menacing should be a crime? (I'm not asking in bad faith, if you don't think it should be then there's nothing to really discuss.)

Defining "menacing" would hang up our courts for 10 years alone.
YMMV

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »
What is this word "Menacing?" is it a skin tone? :doge
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 12:34:16 PM »

/shrug

Would it really ? I would think justice often have to deal with decisions over matters involving a lot of perception and subjectivity.
Even out of the purely legal discussion, I think a lot of people would reasonably agree the show of force in this case is disproportionate.
ὕβρις

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »

/shrug

Would it really ? I would think justice often have to deal with decisions over matters involving a lot of perception and subjectivity.
Even out of the purely legal discussion, I think a lot of people would reasonably agree the show of force in this case is disproportionate.

American courts can tie up anything dude, never underestimate their level of fuckery.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »

/shrug

Its definition at the state level is inconsistent, and in practice it's a law that can be unevenly applied very easily, but the premise is what I was asking about.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
I think the solution is for a New Black Panther open carry demonstration outside of the next Libertarian party conference in 2016.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
Are the New Black Panthers like the New Scooby Doo?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
If antifeminist MRA types protested with guns in front of a battered womens shelter or an abortion clinic I think the attitude towards open carry protests would change.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 02:50:17 PM »
This would make a great children car ride game, choose the worse group x to protest event y with open fire arms.

I'm going Muslim's protesting the opening of a 9/11 memorial with automatic rifles.   

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
If antifeminist MRA types protested with guns in front of a battered womens shelter or an abortion clinic I think the attitude towards open carry protests would change.

You are less cynical than I.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29087183/springs-mayor-has-no-plans-change-gun-law

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
If open carrying a weapon is explicitly constitutionally protected how can so many states have laws against it?   

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »
lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »
dangerous levels of autism detected ITT, and Dufus isn't even in here.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »

/shrug

Owning and carrying a weapon are explicitly constitutionally protected and there's nothing wrong with just having one.

What you are not allowed to do is to aim it at someone or fire it at someone unless you are doing so in self-defense.

Whether you like it or not, these folks, like say, the Westboro Baptists or whichever other group one might find noxious, have explicit rights to assemble and use speech in protest, and we do not recognize and protect such rights for the sake of popular speech.  As far as the guns go, nothing says you can only use one constitutional right at a time.

That protest didn't look too much like a well-regulated militia to me.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »

How many autistics do you need before it becomes dangerous? 

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 12:25:20 AM »
One time I was at the beach and a white, pale, skinny young man in dark clothes walked up about 50 meters away from me with a rifle slung over his shoulder. People saw him and literally started running away.

Turns out he was a sailor, it was a dummy rifle, and he was just practicing drill and ceremony or something equally as stupid, but the federal park police still told him to leave because walking around with a rifle scares people outside of a warzone.

:piss 2nd Ammendment :piss2

spoiler (click to show/hide)
American police logic: White families at the beach a little nervous about a fake rifle? Can't have that! Brown Muslims at their mosque being terrorized by whites with rifles and masks? That's constitutionally protected speech, bruh.
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:02 AM »
 :piss quoting JayDubya :piss2
 :piss JayDubya's opinions :piss2

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 12:41:40 AM »
But muh guns though.

Let me see just how many children have died from gun related violence...

One child or teen dies from a gun every 3 hours and 18 minutes. Gun violence saturates our children’s lives and remain the second leading cause of death for children and teens ages 1-19. More children and teens die from guns every three days than died in the Newtown massacre. The number of children under five killed by guns in 2012 was higher than the number of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty that same year

o

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/stellierkstp/status/669029413275594752

Police source: At least 4 protesters shot outside 4th precinct in #Minneapolis. Suspects believed to be white males with bulletproof vests.

welp...

Tasty

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »
JayDubya defense incoming.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/stellierkstp/status/669029413275594752

Police source: At least 4 protesters shot outside 4th precinct in #Minneapolis. Suspects believed to be white males with bulletproof vests.

welp...

"I'm sure they had the proper, up to date hunting licenses" -JayDubya

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 04:51:25 PM »
still not sure if I'm surprised at how fast this country slipped back into overt white supremacist terrorism.

I guess I could say that I'm not surprised that lots of people assure jumping at the chance, but I am still a little saddened that the media by and large continues to ignore or downplay it
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
noticed something

when jd brought up free speech protections and shit, nobody to that point had suggested arresting these honkeys

hm

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
still not sure if I'm surprised at how fast this country slipped back into overt white supremacist terrorism.

I guess I could say that I'm not surprised that lots of people assure jumping at the chance, but I am still a little saddened that the media by and large continues to ignore or downplay it

The media is a monopolized piece of shit owned by old white guys.  :yeshrug

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »
noticed something

when jd brought up free speech protections and shit, nobody to that point had suggested arresting these honkeys

hm

I still don't get how protesting with a gun isn't a threat against those you're protesting. Even when I go to a range everyone is super careful about keeping their guns in cases/locked until they are ready to fire them and not to mention the constant ear and eye protection.

But walk around the street with a gun over your shoulder screaming about BLM and Muslims ruining America and no one is supposed to assume it's a violent gesture?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 05:18:28 PM »
I still don't get how protesting with a gun isn't a threat against those you're protesting. Even when I go to a range everyone is super careful about keeping their guns in cases/locked until they are ready to fire them and not to mention the constant ear and eye protection.

But walk around the street with a gun over your shoulder screaming about BLM and Muslims ruining America and no one is supposed to assume it's a violent gesture?

Are you familiar with the case law stemming from Lancaster County v. I'm Not Touching You, I'm Not Touching You?

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
Guns have a special arrangement too. What if you protested a place with scimitars?

Maybe I should convince weebs to stand outside any dev houses with katanas as an experiment.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
I mean, legally, it's whatever.  Threats of violence aren't protected speech, but by it's nature it's a subject with a big gray area, and I'm not well-read on it.  So I don't know where it falls with the letter of the law.

Putting all that aside though, these people are assholes.  Right?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »

How many autistics do you need before it becomes dangerous?
Sandy Hook called...

Guns have a special arrangement too. What if you protested a place with scimitars?

Maybe I should convince weebs to stand outside any dev houses with katanas as an experiment.
I know I'm a martial-arts nerd for feeling this way, but I honestly don't understand how the USA can be so "GUNS GUNS FUCKIN' GUNS!" and then tell people, "No, swords are bad! You can't have those!" -- see also: baseball bats, unfolding saps/truncheons, and knives.

Mods Help

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »
Coming to The Bore to see your world view being dignified.

:lawd

Fuck America.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
Is that true? The people I've known who collect blade weapons are typically harmless nerd-types. I've never really detected a societal anti-melee weapon sentiment in the US.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
Coming to The Bore to see your world view being dignified.

Nobody is validating your world view that WWE knows what it's doing and is on the precipice of a new golden age.   :ufup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »
Its not?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
Is that true? The people I've known who collect blade weapons are typically harmless nerd-types. I've never really detected a societal anti-melee weapon sentiment in the US.
I mean in terms of having them outside your home. Not just carrying one in your person in the streets, but even transporting them in your car. Cops will tell you that they can get you on related charges for a baseball bat if you don't have a ball in the car with it.

But mainly I mean we should be able to carry swords if open-carry guns are considered okay.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »
Yeah my main point was if you had people running around with swords on their person (despite being way less lethal in terms of sheer numbers) in certain regions, people would be way more freaked out by that then a bunch of AR-15s and holstered guns.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »
Yeah my main point was if you had people running around with swords on their person (despite being way less lethal in terms of sheer numbers) in certain regions, people would be way more freaked out by that then a bunch of AR-15s and holstered guns.
Yeah; actually if you had people with scimitars, I thought your point was that everyone would assume the New Caliphate is establishing its rule.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
Pretty much yeah.

To someone like me who thinks any weapon generally on someone's/anyone's person means intent to use it (because I don't see that shit otherwise), it's all kind of upsetting and disturbing to me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »
I would be more comfortable with a bunch of sikhs running around with Kirpans than a bunch of white dudes with M16s.  But ya keep weapons at home.  This is the 21st century. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »
Yeah, to be clear, I would prefer that no-one carried weapons, but if batshit crazyfuckers are able to sling their rifles over a shoulder at Wal-Mart, I don't see why sticks or even sharpened sticks are considered off-limits.

But, yeah, if someone's carrying a weapon in a private business, I will not patronize that business.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
I like our like circle jerk...or does mentioning it make it weird?