Author Topic: The United Kingdom's 100 year plan? Failed. America Was Always Greater  (Read 18122 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler

nudemacusers

Re: The United Kingdom's 100 year plan? Failed. America Was Always Great
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 05:59:05 AM »
Hmm, prices on a few items on my uk boutique buy list have gone down by a few hundo... Gottagofast  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
it will never not be hilarious to me that the western countries that invaded and fucked with basically every damn place on earth are now constantly whining about immigration. i mean the inevitable violence that'll be happening down the road is gonna suck, but til then i just gotta laugh at how unbelievably fucking stupid these people are.
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
I haven't been following this since 1) I'm not British and 2) Not part of Europe, so: Explain to me, what is the pros/cons of them leaving?
You sure you're not British?

::) Thank you for actually explaining, PD. ::)

Found this over on GAF: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/06/american-idiots-guide-to-brexit.html

Quote from: Did something profoundly awful happen last week that could ostensibly impact Thursday’s vote?
Yes. Jo Cox, a member of Parliament, was assassinated. Cox was a member of the Labour Party and wanted Britain to remain in the EU. When her killer was asked to identify himself in court, he answered, “My name is death to traitors, freedom for Britain.” No one knows how this will impact Thursday’s vote. But it seems possible that it will influence it in some way.

Makes sense. Failing economy and terrorism would affect the vote pretty badly. It's why while a lot of GAF was laughing about Trump, I was fearful he's gonna win.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
https://twitter.com/djlogansama/status/746266106399170560

the french people love eating cake get it :smug

chronovore

• relapsed dev

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
The hardest part is going to be figuring out trade deals with the other EU countries since they officially only have two years to do that but the Leave campaign wants to draw it out for longer. Doesn't look like the EU member states are keen on dragging it out for one day longer than what Britain is allowed. They pissed.

The thing is with Scotland leaving, you're left with a larger majority in the UK that want to leave and of course it's those who are retired and/or uneducated who mostly wanted to leave so impact to the economy/exports is not something they might pay as much attention to. I don't know what this means in the long term but global companies like car manufacturers are going to have time to move part of their manufacturing to Europe since exporting something like a car with its low margins is going to be stupidly expensive. Well I mean unless you're Aston Martin.

fizzel

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
I can't fathom how anyone middle class or above would vote to dissolve their investments over a few fucking immigrants. I wonder what the long con is here? East end jealous of Brussels? That's my bet.
YMMV

Mupepe

• Icon
There's a lot of financially ignorant folks in the middle class as well.

Am_I_Anonymous

There's a lot of financially ignorant folks in the middle class as well.

Apparently.

I get it, there are terrorists. I understand shit is bad right now. But i'll be goddamned if I piss away 1/2 my net worth about it. Seems....so ludicrous that people would do this.

Trumph politics ain't going away I guess  :snoop
YMMV

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
I can't fathom how anyone middle class or above would vote to dissolve their investments over a few fucking immigrants. I wonder what the long con is here? East end jealous of Brussels? That's my bet.

Going to be some great deals on homes in Costa del Sol and the south of France. :aah

Am_I_Anonymous

Going to be some great deals on homes in Costa del Sol and the south of France. :aah

Gonna be able to get a flat on the Thames for 500 dollars a month :aah
YMMV

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
51.9% vs 48.1%

That's not "the country" but the tiniest majority country is split as fuck and polarized.

That's the democratic rules, will of the majority is the will of the country. Not ideal but it's still the less bad option. :yeshrug Still better than doing two referendums or ignoring a "No" majority vote :neogaf

This is why Canada has the clarity act, after Quebec's last referendum where they decided to stay by like 1%

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
https://twitter.com/djlogansama/status/746266106399170560

the french people love eating cake get it :smug

Logan-sama and I used to talk a lot on an old UK Garage message board before he blew up. Guy was pretty big fan of American football and the FF series iirc.
^_^

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Jeremy Corbyn, campaigned half-heartedly for Remain and the party’s leaders were forced to confront their abandonment by English working-class voters fired up by Leave’s message of anti-globalisation and haul-up-the-drawbridge nativism.

I know I get what I'm asking for by reading The Econymist (today of all days), but how that rag has the temerity to talk about abandoning the proletariat is beyond me.

e: @Kosma http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21701334-after-post-vote-turmoil-international-banks-will-have-think-about-their?fsrc=permar|image2

Am_I_Anonymous

Jeremy Corbyn, campaigned half-heartedly for Remain and the party’s leaders were forced to confront their abandonment by English working-class voters fired up by Leave’s message of anti-globalisation and haul-up-the-drawbridge nativism.

I know I get what I'm asking for by reading The Econymist (today of all days), but how that rag has the temerity to talk about abandoning the proletariat is beyond me.

See's source
Considers source
giggles to self
Disqualifies source

YMMV

Kara

I read it wrong, anyway. It was voters abandoning, not the party. :-[

Am_I_Anonymous

I read it wrong, anyway. It was voters abandoning, not the party. :-[

At this point the "remain" party is currently about as viable as libertarians. Both are dead in hotel rooms......
YMMV

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Honestly the whole time I was like, "lol yeah right this is gonna happen. Eviscerate your economy? Remove yourself from one of the most power trading agreements in the history of mankind? hah! That's rich!"

:goty
que

Fifstar

Is it? When your country is in shock and the pound is falling do you step down and cause more panic?

Well, Cameron initiated the Poll to shut down party intern people who were in favor of the brexit. It really is the logical thing to do.
Gulp

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Leaving the European Union seems like something the New York Knicks would do in exchange for draft picks they would throw away.
vin

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Is it? When your country is in shock and the pound is falling do you step down and cause more panic?

I know this is from a page ago or whatever, but here's how it works:

When you engage in a political pissing contest with Boris Johnson and some twit named Nigel and LOSE, you're done for. So yes, he had to resign.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Cameron :neogaf

Destroy the economy in order to (temporarily) save your job brehs.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
scameron

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Get bamboozled by a moron with bad hair, brehs.
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
the government can just ignore the results, it's not binding on parliament

there was already talk about doing a "negotiation" with the EU and then having a second referendum to confirm it before invoking article 50

blue is leave, yellow is stay:
(Image removed from quote.)

Not even sure what's to "negotiate" - didn't the UK have pretty much buffet-membership in the EU?

I haven't really been paying attention but were they beholden to the rest of the EU's immigration policies? Never got the sense the Leave side had any specific policy grievances, it was just a guttural OOOYYYY
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Get bamboozled by a moron with bad hair, brehs.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
In other news, just ordered a years worth of contacts from the UK for super cheap
dur

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
In other news, just ordered a years worth of contacts from the UK for super cheap

I pulled the trigger on a megadrive synthesizer vst as well.

:yeshrug

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
:drudge KARA

Is there an absinthe that would be good to import from UK? :lol

Syph

Re: The United Kingdom's 100 year plan? Failed. America Was Always Greater
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
51.9% vs 48.1%

That's not "the country" but the tiniest majority country is split as fuck and polarized.

That's the democratic rules, will of the majority is the will of the country. Not ideal but it's still the less bad option. :yeshrug Still better than doing two referendums or ignoring a "No" majority vote :neogaf

This is why Canada has the clarity act, after Quebec's last referendum where they decided to stay by like 1%
was actually just reading about that; didn't know Bill Clinton had an effect that's kinda cool
wonder if he met any Canadian secretaries on parliament hill while he was here
XO

Kara

« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
:drudge KARA

Is there an absinthe that would be good to import from UK? :lol

:dead

The EUR exchange rate is still better than the GBP one, unless it's something exclusively British or something you don't want to overvalue arbitrage on*, or something with wacky regional pricing, you're better off with EUR purchases (excluding taxes and duties, natch). The only UK origin absinthe I know of isn't worth the effort.

*I've bought contact lenses from Romania or a place similarly confidence eroding with no issue, though I can understand not everyone is willing to make jumps like that.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
If the GBP continues to be low against the dollar, I might book a brief week vacation out there in September.
🍆🍆

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2016, 03:36:58 PM »
Leaving the European Union seems like something the New York Knicks would do in exchange for draft picks they would throw away.

:dead
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »
If the GBP continues to be low against the dollar, I might book a brief week vacation out there in September.

Mark my word. You have 8 weeks to do that. It's not gonna be down forever.

I'm all in on Barclays myself. Made that plunge today.
YMMV

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
Well thanks for the reply, bromigo! Yeah, I sorta figured all the great absinthes would be French or summit

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »

Mark my word. You have 8 weeks to do that. It's not gonna be down forever.

I'm all in on Barclays myself. Made that plunge today.

Going to book it this weekend.  Also thanks for the Barclays idea.  I do expect the GBP and stocks to rebound so this is a way to make some nice change.
🍆🍆

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »

e: @Kosma http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21701334-after-post-vote-turmoil-international-banks-will-have-think-about-their?fsrc=permar|image2

thanks for that link kara

Tasty

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/Alconcalcia/status/746363158034550784

Welp

Here's what those initials mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRS_social_grade

Basically, pensioners and otherwise economically vulnerable or dependent people voted Leave.

So, uh, maybe don't let these demographics grow too much. Or don't promise them referendums. Whoopsie.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:16:05 PM by Rufus »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
So old poor folks scapegoated the EU for their woes or?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2016, 04:54:26 PM »
"Immigrants are going to take our jobs", as far as my sterling analysis (:doge) goes. Not entirely unfounded, but this isn't going away once Great Britain leaves the EU. Once you start racing to the bottom, you don't stop. Guess who's going to feel this hardest?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
1 GB of free space :rofl

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
"Immigrants are going to take our jobs", as far as my sterling analysis (:doge) goes. Not entirely unfounded, but this isn't going away once Great Britain leaves the EU. Once you start racing to the bottom, you don't stop. Guess who's going to feel this hardest?

Basically everyone who isn't retired will be hurt by this but who can really say? I bet economics students are just splooging themselves right now.

Kara

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »
Well thanks for the reply, bromigo! Yeah, I sorta figured all the great absinthes would be French or summit

There are some well regarded American ones, I just don't care for their herbal mixtures or find them a bit dull (though they are not "bad" like, say, Lucid).

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2016, 12:03:14 AM »
That might be my most-liked post, wtf. :lol

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2016, 04:32:19 AM »
Already Scottish independence campaigners are calling for another referendum and Irish parties are calling for a United Ireland referendum.

The final days of the British Empire, brehs :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
My dad lost €10,000 overnight in share value on the shares he owns in the UK company took over the Irish one he worked for. He was saving them for his retirement nest egg. He wasn't pleased :goty
[close]