Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 942879 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #3300 on: May 20, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/wave_race_director_shinya_takahashi_hints_that_the_series_may_return_soon

please Nintendo! But make it like the 64 game, not the shitty GC ons

I recently bought the N64 game for the first time, but I'm a little iffy over the controls apparently relying heavily on quick/striking stick movements. Nowadays I just constantly fear that it breaks the shitty analogue stick.

agrajag

« Reply #3301 on: May 20, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/wave_race_director_shinya_takahashi_hints_that_the_series_may_return_soon

please Nintendo! But make it like the 64 game, not the shitty GC ons

I recently bought the N64 game for the first time, but I'm a little iffy over the controls apparently relying heavily on quick/striking stick movements. Nowadays I just constantly fear that it breaks the shitty analogue stick.

Only for the tricks. IIRC there's a three modes: racing, time trial and trick mode. You don't need to do any tricks to race IIRC, but I may be wrong since I haven't played it in a million years.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3302 on: May 20, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
i was trying to say dkc is trash, and jungle beat is godly

jb did get ported to the wii, tho they changed around the basic gameplay to adjust for the new controls. i've only played the gc version.
pcp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3303 on: May 20, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
My definitive Donkey Kong Country rankings(TM) ultimate edition

Donkey Kong Country 2 / Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze > Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat > Donkey Kong Country / Donkey Kong Country Returns > Donkey Kong Country 3 > Donkey Kong 64

Tropical Freeze is not only a good DKC game it's one of the best 2D platforming games ever made. Designed so well that's hard to believe Nintendo made it during the Wii U era of mismanagement.

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3304 on: May 20, 2018, 11:28:09 PM »
RE7 Cloud Version booooyeeeessssss 8)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3305 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:36 AM »
RE7 Cloud Version booooyeeeessssss 8)

Unlike the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC versions of the game, Resident Evil 7: biohazard Cloud Version will run over the Ubitus cloud service and require a stable Internet connection to play. It will cost 2,000 yen for access to 180 days of play. Before committing to a purchase, users can play up to 15 minutes for free. Resident Evil 7: biohazard Cloud Version will also include access to all of the game’s downloadable content.
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/05/resident-evil-7-biohazard-cloud-version-announced-for-switch#VBQZREyjZTDVofs6.99
:-\

I wonder if that will actually be released outside of Japan.  Guess I'll just end up playing this on the GPD WIN 2.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3306 on: May 21, 2018, 02:32:16 AM »
 :D

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3307 on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:18 AM »
Has to use cloud since switch too trash to actually run the game

Filler supporting garbage tier teams like usual
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3308 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »

Pretty sure the Switch can run it- the GPD WIN 1 is able to run the game and the Switch has a more powerful GPU than it does.  The game can scale down pretty low, just like Doom.  Capcom is trying this cloud shit out and right now this is only for Japan.  Apparently the game doesn't even have English listed under its available languages, so we may never see it, just like with the cloud-based PSO2 port.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #3309 on: May 21, 2018, 09:57:06 AM »

Pretty sure the Switch can run it- the GPD WIN 1 is able to run the game and the Switch has a more powerful GPU than it does.  The game can scale down pretty low, just like Doom.  Capcom is trying this cloud shit out and right now this is only for Japan.  Apparently the game doesn't even have English listed under its available languages, so we may never see it, just like with the cloud-based PSO2 port.

My guess is that the actual thing preventing a physical release is that there are no 64GB carts yet and/or Caprin is toocheap to spring for 32GB carts. PS4 cpu is so weak, switch appears to be able to run just about anything as long as ou don’t mind sacrificing graphics.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3310 on: May 21, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
Once again Capcom being as Capcom as they can.

agrajag

« Reply #3311 on: May 21, 2018, 11:00:20 AM »
It's gonna run like shit due to latency.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3312 on: May 21, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »

My guess is that the actual thing preventing a physical release is that there are no 64GB carts yet and/or Caprin is toocheap to spring for 32GB carts. PS4 cpu is so weak, switch appears to be able to run just about anything as long as ou don’t mind sacrificing graphics.

They could release it with part of the game on a cart and the rest for download, like they've done with other games.  Or just digital only.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3313 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
Midway through world 3 now on Tropical Freeze and while I still have some minor gripes with the physics and controls, this game is fantastic! The level with all the little whirlwinds was the best gimmick so far.

agrajag

« Reply #3314 on: May 21, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
These crazy bastards actually brought back the rocket barrel levels  :lol Loving this.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3315 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »
Midway through world 3 now on Tropical Freeze and while I still have some minor gripes with the physics and controls, this game is fantastic! The level with all the little whirlwinds was the best gimmick so far.
The pacing in World 2 is just perfect. The world building is godly, just keep an eye on the background to see the story unfold not to mention all the vertical platforming in this game.

And the David Wise soundtrack  :delicious

Playing Funky mode to just casually breathe in all the glory that is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze :rejoice
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3316 on: May 22, 2018, 12:33:16 AM »
The silhouette swimming level is beautiful!

archie4208

« Reply #3317 on: May 22, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

I might have to buy the season pass

agrajag

« Reply #3318 on: May 22, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
The water level where the Octopus is chasing you is the single best water level ever.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3319 on: May 22, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
AI in musou games is frequently dumb as hell, if you can't pass a level after a few tries of being at the exact right places at the right time just drop it down a difficulty level or two, there's no shame in having to do that to get around bad design.
Hi

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3320 on: May 22, 2018, 11:44:10 PM »
Honestly Fire Emblem Warriors is the only good Musou game in recent memory in terms of team AI and even that has a lot of problems.  I always just assume I'm going to have to take care of everything myself.
🍆🍆

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3321 on: May 24, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »

I might have to buy the season pass

I'm waiting for a GOTY edition...

:fbm
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3322 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »
Honestly Fire Emblem Warriors is the only good Musou game in recent memory in terms of team AI and even that has a lot of problems.  I always just assume I'm going to have to take care of everything myself.

Yup.  I usually just the use the command options to send characters over to the direction I want to go and then switch over to them to handle any actual fights.  On just the first level of HW alone I had something annoying happen where Link and Zelda needed to to to the temple to summon the fairy.  I was Zelda and sent Link over to the temple area.  Ran over to the temple with Zelda and went inside.  No Link...he was outside. Switched to him and went inside.  No Zelda.  She was now outside.  Switched back.  Rinse and repeat like 10 times.   Finally got them both to go in and trigger the event.
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #3323 on: May 24, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »
I barely played the first Retro studios DK game because of the stupid waggle roll.

Wait, was that the one that got ported to 3DS? I know I bought one on 3DS and I never went back to it after I got a larger 3DS, small screen made the game kinda hard.

I got TF for free on Wii U but I never really got into it. Then again I barely played most of the Wii U games I bought, save Zelda and SMT x FE.
NO

agrajag

« Reply #3324 on: May 25, 2018, 01:42:51 AM »
I barely played the first Retro studios DK game because of the stupid waggle roll.

Wait, was that the one that got ported to 3DS? I know I bought one on 3DS and I never went back to it after I got a larger 3DS, small screen made the game kinda hard.

I got TF for free on Wii U but I never really got into it. Then again I barely played most of the Wii U games I bought, save Zelda and SMT x FE.

TF is much better, and you can play without waggle.

My biggest problem with it right now is that you can't roll from a dead stop, you have to be moving forward too, which is an extremely annoying mechanic to me.

Corporal

« Reply #3325 on: May 25, 2018, 07:24:51 AM »
Man, no VC for Switch is a major bummer. Yes, I'm all up to date on my switch news, thankyouverymuch. E3? Whazzat?

Could you elaborate on the my way or the highway approach to enemies and how that's different from other platformers and also game feeling like a slog at times and a CDi game? I haven't found either to be the xase, but interested to see why you think that. In either case I have a feeling that DKC2 would have addressed some of your concerns.
Hrm, it's actually hard to explain. Plus, I haven't played the game in ages... maybe a decade or so. Allow me to scrounge together what pitiful crumbs remain in my heavily biased memory.

There is no support for graceful failure. I think that's the thing that bothered me the most. If the game design calls for a low health mechanic, then the game needs to get people back into action way quicker than DKC. This punishes experimentation and makes the first attempt through a level far more tedious than need be.

You attempt a certain design element like say, swinging from wine to wine over hornets, and either you nail all of the individual sequential skill checks perfectly, or you lose a life (far more likely due to extremely limited damage mitigation/health mechanics). Failing to enter a chain-hop sequence or rotating barrel "correctly" will put the player in a situation where they lose much time and energy manually unraveling the setup until it's once again safe to proceed - or worse, lose a life and be forced to redo the segment from the sparse resume points. This can become really stupid in that you run through half a level until you get to a chokepoint that finishes you off on the first attempt, repeatedly. And these skill check building blocks are freaking everywhere - because they are part of the design language of the game. It feels like someone tried to make a super Mario game, but accidentally swapped the design documents with, dunno, super meat boy or something halfway through.

This is exacerbated by the zoomed in look, leading to rather large size of characters and limited screen space. This impedes planning unless you resort to rote memorisation (and the busy graphics/limited colour pallette/art choice makes recognition at a glance hard(er)). This gets even more prominent with some rides and should be obvious in any auto scrolling segments. (...DKC had those, yes? I might be mixing up things. It's been a long-ass time since I played the first one.)

Add to that the occasional freezeframe/temporary loss of control when things happen (like, the player gets hit and the other ape runs off, or the player hops into a barrel or on a ride). Losing agency rather frequently is a big turn-off for me. In lesser terms, this also applies to wine swinging, mine cart driving, rhino riding and so on. It's nice as a distraction, but occured too often for my tastes (obviously in the beginning, they are showcasing the various mechanics, but it still annoyed me).

To put it in one sentence: While playing the first DKC, I felt ...constrained.
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3326 on: May 25, 2018, 08:00:12 AM »
Nobody mentioned Mega Man Legacy Collection yet.  It's....Mega Man.  Pretty good emulation and the games look nice on the Switch screen.  Haven't tried it docked yet so unsure about input lag on TVs.  You get several filters to use and there's Amiibo support to unlock some new challenge levels, which IIRC were in the 3DS port.

Unsure if there's anything really "new" here but I see that the upcoming X Collection is going to have some sort of new story mode and armors added, so good to see some more effort being there.
ど助平

Corporal

« Reply #3327 on: May 25, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
I'd be up for futzing around with Megaman X once more. However, buying the whole collection just for that... hrm. Not that much of a non-X fan to splurge for the 875131795th time, for sure.

I'm sort of lusting after Bloodstained - Curse of the moon at the moment. Looks pretty neat.
But whyyyy are Inty always focused on faux NES graphics with their retro games. Faux SNES graphics would look so much better. :-\
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3328 on: May 25, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »
I'd be up for futzing around with Megaman X once more. However, buying the whole collection just for that... hrm. Not that much of a non-X fan to splurge for the 875131795th time, for sure.

I've only ever played through Mega Man X1 and a little bit of X4, so it's all new to me.  Getting the Japanese versions since the second X collection has a physical cart release that way.  Capcom gonna Capcpom and made it so that you have to buy each Rockman X game separately for this- the set of both games has a download code for the second game, just like the American version.

I'm sort of lusting after Bloodstained - Curse of the moon at the moment. Looks pretty neat.
But whyyyy are Inty always focused on faux NES graphics with their retro games. Faux SNES graphics would look so much better. :-\

Maybe it would cost more?  But yeah, I'm more than ready for people to start doing 16-bit style graphics instead of always going for the 8-bit look with everything.
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #3329 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
/\

Corporal, I see what you're saying. The things you are discussing I never considered a problem, so I chalk it up to preference. I think every platformer is more or less based on trial and error and level memorization.

Btw even Tropical Freeze has that freeze frame stuff.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:33:58 PM by agrajag »

Corporal

« Reply #3330 on: May 25, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
Btw even Tropical Freeze has that freeze frame stuff.

BGM: Mwop mwop mwop mwooop = sad music plays
!list

agrajag

« Reply #3331 on: May 25, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
I'm not really sure why they do that. It doesn't really bother me, but it seems kind of pointless. I guess they are trying to make it more dramatic when you lose health, but I could see how that breaks momentum.

For me the roll mechanic in the new games is way more rage inducing. A) like I mentioned before, you cannot roll from a dead stop, which is annoying if you are trying to roll off a narrow platform. B) the rolls don't seem to have as much momentum as in the old games, so you can die from trying to chain roll through a group of enemies if the last enemy is spaced a little farther away. The old games were centered around being able to chain roll or hop enemies with ease.

Tasty

« Reply #3332 on: May 25, 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
I love the freeze frames, in DKC and in Zelda. :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3333 on: May 25, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »
I'm not really sure why they do that. It doesn't really bother me, but it seems kind of pointless. I guess they are trying to make it more dramatic when you lose health, but I could see how that breaks momentum.

For me the roll mechanic in the new games is way more rage inducing. A) like I mentioned before, you cannot roll from a dead stop, which is annoying if you are trying to roll off a narrow platform. B) the rolls don't seem to have as much momentum as in the old games, so you can die from trying to chain roll through a group of enemies if the last enemy is spaced a little farther away. The old games were centered around being able to chain roll or hop enemies with ease.
Yup, the roll has standard/speed momentum. It doesn't get faster as you hit more enemies.
Retro's DK feels more 'technical', Rare's was more 'kinetic'. I must say that DKC TF does requires a lot of more precision platforming than DKC or even DKC2 did so I can see why they made this change.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3334 on: May 25, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »

Yup, the roll has standard/speed momentum. It doesn't get faster as you hit more enemies.
Retro's DK feels more 'technical', Rare's was more 'kinetic'. I must say that DKC TF does requires a lot of more precision platforming than DKC or even DKC2 did so I can see why they made this change.

Is it me, or does the game commit you to your jumps more than the old games and Mario, for example? Sometimes I find it hard to course correct when platforming.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3335 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41:50 PM »

Is it me, or does the game commit you to your jumps more than the old games and Mario, for example? Sometimes I find it hard to course correct when platforming.
Easily course correcting in mid-air is only possible with Funky I think. Donkey without the jetpack or Dixie is just instant death when you make a jump mistake. Air control seems limited, you can only move a few inches left or right after a jump. While in the Rare games you could move from one side of the screen to the other while jumping. DKC TF is one of the finest skill based platforming games out there  :rejoice
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3336 on: May 25, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »
I like DKC 1+2 controls better. Just more fun to play. The level design is outstanding though.

I'm not sure why everyone says the polar bear is a hard bass, he was by far my easiest one thus far. Beat him after a few tries. The last pattern with only Donkey, no less. The boss battles are a tad too long, I would say.

agrajag

« Reply #3337 on: May 27, 2018, 02:33:48 AM »
finally beat the last boss, felt kind of anti-climactic. I mean, he was difficult as fuck, but I didn't feel like the ending really had an oomph to it.

edit:

Also, Wise saved all the best new compositions for world 6  :rejoice

And Nintex, you lied to me. After playing the whole game, the music skews heavily towards DKC1. Which is fine in a vacuum, that game had wonderful music. But there were so many fantastic tracks from the second one that didn't get their due.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:45:28 AM by agrajag »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3338 on: May 27, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
finally beat the last boss, felt kind of anti-climactic. I mean, he was difficult as fuck, but I didn't feel like the ending really had an oomph to it.

edit:

Also, Wise saved all the best new compositions for world 6  :rejoice

And Nintex, you lied to me. After playing the whole game, the music skews heavily towards DKC1. Which is fine in a vacuum, that game had wonderful music. But there were so many fantastic tracks from the second one that didn't get their due.
Did you also play the secret and hidden levels?

Some of the best levels (including a Metroidvania type water level) are hidden in the extra levels. Some of which without 'Funky mode' were nigh impossible to unlock in the Wii U release  :doge

Like this one, that almost had me thinking the Kremlings would show up.

Also some songs have that classic DKC2 vibe

Now announce Donkey Kong Country Returns: Revenge of the Kremlings at E3 Nintendo  :rejoice

🤴

agrajag

« Reply #3339 on: May 27, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
Nintex, no I haven't played any of the secret levels. I didn't bother trying to collect all the puzzle pieces and whatnot on the first playthrough. What opens up the secret levels, getting all the puzzle pieces?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3340 on: May 27, 2018, 06:51:29 PM »
Nintex, no I haven't played any of the secret levels. I didn't bother trying to collect all the puzzle pieces and whatnot on the first playthrough. What opens up the secret levels, getting all the puzzle pieces?
The puzzle pieces get you art, the Kong letters give you access to the bonus world I think.
But there's secret levels hidden throughout the map as well. You find those by entering secret exists scattered throughout the levels.

Portals such as these:

There's 3 hidden levels in each world.
A-levels: Find first secret exit
B-levels: Find second secret exit
K-levels: Find all Kong letters

Hidden bonus world (unlock and beat all K-levels)

There's a stage called Beehive Brawl that pays homage to the DKC2 beehive world.
Not playing the bonus levels means you miss out on 18+ levels, some the best in the game.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:57:59 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Kurt Russell

« Reply #3341 on: June 04, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Aloha Bore!

Can any of the Switch Master Race recommend a game (1st party, 3rd party or indie/dl) that would be decent on a medium haul flight? Ideally, I'd like a game that has lots of distractions, fannying about and things to do. Last time I took the flight (7 hours), I sat down with Stardew Valley and it was perfect. It kept me occupied, had a ton of different things to do and was relatively non-repetitive. Something in the same vein, or alternatively either open-worldish or a tycoon/management/sim game would be great.

TIA!

The following titles are exempt:
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda
  • Overcooked
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris

:miyamoto
woke

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3342 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
B A Y O N E T T A 2

B L O O D S T A I N E D CURSE OF THE MOON

H Y R U L E W A R R I O R S

Bleh, enough of that.  Yeah- action games sound like a good fit.  You can do well with any musou game so Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 are all good, with bonus points going to Hyrule and OP because they come with all of the DLC included.  Bayo 2 comes with Bayo 1 and if you haven't played those, then this thread is over because BUY THEM RIGHT NOW MOTHERFUCKER.  Bloodstained makes for some good classic NES-style Castlevania fun and is cheap.

Have you played Dragon Quest Builders before?  I never cared about Minecraft but this game is like a great blend of that and Zelda.  Another good platform game is Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero.  The Ultimate Edition is out and has all the DLC included.  There's enough content there to keep you busy for a while.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:49:06 PM by bork »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3343 on: June 04, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
Get yer boi Funky Kong.
Funky Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is life.

Mario + Rabbids, this is some really good shit. It doesn't have a right to be this good in fact.

Are you into animu simulator RPG's and do you want to make everyone around you uncomfortable?
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is just for you. Within 7 hours you can just about finish the tutorial. Pro-tip: turn on the sound for maximum annoyance of the other travelers.

Do you have Mario Kart 8: Deluxe? If not get Mario Kart 8: Deluxe. Comes with the added bonus that literally anyone can play some Mario Kart with you on the trip.
It will be like one of those advertisements, where you get to be the center of attention and a dozen hot chicks take turns to play Mario Kart with you.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3344 on: June 04, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »
Download:
- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
- Xeodrifter
- Mutant Mudd's Collection
- Owlboy
- Sonic Mania
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
- Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
- Cave Story+
- The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
- Aegis Defenders
- PixelJunk Monsters 2

Retail:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
- Mega Man Legacy Collection
- Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3345 on: June 04, 2018, 03:07:51 PM »
One of the Steamworld games.

The Flame in the Flood.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3346 on: June 04, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »

Mario + Rabbids, this is some really good shit. It doesn't have a right to be this good in fact.

This is another really good choice for a flight.  You can relax and take your time with it, too.
ど助平

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #3347 on: June 04, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
darkest dungeon deserves your love

it's the perfect type of game to play on a medium/long haul flight and doesn't become tedious until the 20th hour or so

archnemesis

« Reply #3348 on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
Golf Story is great for shorter sessions. I also really enjoyed Mario + Rabbids.

Edit: Picross S is really good even though it's just another Picross.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3349 on: June 04, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »
Axiom Verge
Steamworld Dig

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3350 on: June 04, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
Waku Waku 7 if you like fighting games
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3351 on: June 04, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
I like a lot of the recommendations.

I'll add another to Golf Story. It's a good little game.
que

agrajag

« Reply #3352 on: June 04, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
Recommend some indie games. I was curious about Die for Valhalla, it has a very charming art style, but I saw a review that trashed it. Anyone played Human Fall Flat or whatever it's called? It's on sale for $7.99

Corporal

« Reply #3353 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:20 PM »
Enter the Gungeon is a nice little dungeon crawler/bullet hell game. Also on other platforms, so you might already have played it there. Basically, dive down into a dungeon and shoot living bullets and endbosses, then die, then repeat, until you're good enough and lucky enough to unlock more characters/watch the endings/find the hidden shortcuts/etc. Pretty good stuff, highly polished.

In the same vein, but smaller in scope: Neurovoider. Nice OST, but it's a two people indie game, meaning content (bosses, equipment, levels) is far more limited than EtG. Notable for the up-to-four-people-on-one-console multiplayer mode and the daily randomized speedrun/score online leagues. There's also a bones file like mechanic where you encounter your old character from a previous playthrough, which can get dicey depending on weapon loadout (you might die to a shot from offscreen). Yes, it's a small game, but what's there is mostly solid and fun.

Fairune collection: Unless you've played this on the 3DS, you might get to like it. It's another decidedly Indie game. Kind of an RPG with incredibly shallow RPG mechanics, it's mostly an exploration game. Support for speedrunning, cheevos, online rankings. Four games in one. There's also some shoot'em'up sequences/games.

In case you liked Fairune, also try Kamiko. This one's more of an action game and less of a puzzler, but nonetheless worth a go if only for the low asking price.

Seconding Bloodstained, although the faked NES assets are a bit painful on the eyes and ears, at times. It's really high time Inti gets on the SNES bandwagon. Otherwise, no complaints. Oodles of content, plenty of fun. Castlevania.

Also seconding the Steamworld games. Quality stuff.

And Golf Story. Can't go wrong with that.

And yes, give DQ Builders, Mario&Rabbids and Hyrule Warriors a spin. And while we're at it, The Mummy Demastered is pretty dang nice as well. Those may not be indie games, but certainly worth a try nonetheless. If you can stomach the uguu, also try Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

If you're up for some pixel hunting (kind of), give "OPUS - the day we found earth" a go. It's really well presented, and the pixel hunting is never really random: You'll always know where to look for the relevant stars, it's never annoying, more of a pacing mechanism to keep you involved with the story. Which is about a robot and an AI trying to find the way back to earth. Zero action, some feels, moving soundtrack, nicely packaged game.

Cat's Quest. It's a mobile game with the IAP's stripped out, or so it feels like. Low level Action RPG stuff, but fun enough with a smooth artstyle. B tier stuff in case you find it on sale.

Ironcast... is really a matter of preference. It's a tactical vs-CPU match-X game with a steampunk mech skin, packaged into an FTL like dungeon crawler setup. A kickstarter project. Presentation is acceptable, but loading screens get in the way and the touch/button UI is kinda balls. Nonetheless a solid game for a while.

Also, grab the free Pinball games. There's probably three or four of them by now. Loads of DLC and only one free table each, but I find them a nice distraction in between the other games.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:15:04 PM by Corporal »
!list

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3354 on: June 04, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
Anyone here play Yoku's Island Express yet? Seems to be a cross between a Metroidvania and a pinball game. Art isn't the greatest but the genre mashup sounds cool.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3355 on: June 04, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
Oh I forgot about Dragon Quest Builders.
I played the living shit out of that game on PS4. If you haven't played it, Switch seems like it'd be a perfect fit for this.
que

agrajag

« Reply #3356 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
I played the DQ:B demo to completion and it got pretty repetitive at one point.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3357 on: June 04, 2018, 11:28:38 PM »
Steamworld Dig 1 or 2 are must haves. Fantastic games for passing some time, not too stressful but not baby mode easy.

Golf Story has already been recommended a few times but I'll add another. Better for short bursts than long play imo.

Hyrule Warriors is good for some mashing and racking up large kill numbers but the Adventure Mode really separates it from the normal Warriors style games and adds a lot of fun and a ton of content to go through without being a slog.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3358 on: June 05, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »
Is that Yonder game any good? Sort liked the fact it didn't have any terrible combat.

I'd recommend Gorogoa but it's short enough that you'd probably finish it before the first meal is served.

Would agree about Golf Story though, it gets a bit tedious if you're playing longer than an hour or so. Doesn't detract from how good it is though, because in the end it's just golf

spoiler (click to show/hide)
or GALF
[close]
itm

Kurt Russell

« Reply #3359 on: June 06, 2018, 07:48:03 AM »
woke