Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 945937 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #960 on: January 13, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
I will now say nice things about this turd:

It looks better than Wii U, and I'll probably get one for Zelda and Mario Odyssey alone. But not until Mario launches later this year. No reason to.

That said, this thing will be a failure. Not a Wii U level failure, but a failure.

The Switch to me is literally Wii U 2.0-- graphics look the same and it's the same tablet controller, only now actually portable and with an HD screen.

Agreed that it won't be Wii U levels of fail, but I can't see it being a huge success, either.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #961 on: January 13, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
That's still region locking, though. However stupidly easy it was to bypass.

I don't count that as "region-locking."  It doesn't require hardware modification (I.E. chips installed or softmods) to play Japanese games.

Also to use PAL carts you need a hardware mod.

...because it's PAL.  That makes sense.  That was the case for pretty much every TV console back then.

This region-free talk does make me wonder about the online service and eShop.  Does this mean you can get a Japanese game digitally?  Can you buy DLC or update the game?  If not, it still presents problems for some folks.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #962 on: January 13, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »
I don't count that as "region-locking." 

It was counted by Nintendo, inventors of video game region locking, as region locking. Not sure why we're splitting hairs here.

It was an easily defeated lock, sure.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #963 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
Please show me where Nintendo calls different cart shapes "region locking" on the SNES.

That reminds me of my favorite example of region-locking- Atlus region-locking Persona 4 Arena, making it the only region-locked PS3 game that ever released.  :lol
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #964 on: January 13, 2017, 09:33:06 AM »
Less third party support on the launch line up than the Wii U lol
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #965 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
http://www.capcom.co.jp/usf2/

They already have a site up for this- Shows that it's getting a cart release and a download release.

パッケージ版:4,990円+税
ダウンロード版:4,620円+

Seriously?  This should be like 2,000円  :lol

They look like they are struggling to pull off moves on that controller.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #966 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
Ultra SFII thankfully has an option for the original sprites AND backgrounds.  That might actually spark interest in the FGC.

:lol Not when it doesn't have other fighters yet, it won't.

It's gonna die on the vine like Tatsu vs Capcom.
If USF2 also has a proper ST port, it'll get traction. Better to pay $300+40 for ST on Switch (yes, it's $40 :lol) than $600+ for ST CPS2 cart and a Supergun.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #967 on: January 13, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
Ultra SFII thankfully has an option for the original sprites AND backgrounds.  That might actually spark interest in the FGC.

:lol Not when it doesn't have other fighters yet, it won't.

It's gonna die on the vine like Tatsu vs Capcom.
If USF2 also has a proper ST port, it'll get traction. Better to pay $300+40 for ST on Switch (yes, it's $40 :lol) than $600+ for ST CPS2 cart and a Supergun.

Glad someone gets it.
:rejoice

Of course, that's IF it has a proper port in there.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #968 on: January 13, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
Please show me where Nintendo calls different cart shapes "region locking" on the SNES.

The American Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and the Super Famicom use differences in cartridge cases. A Super NES cartridge will not fit in a Super Famicom/PAL SNES slot due to its different shape and two pieces of plastic in the SNES slot prevent Super Famicom cartridges from being inserted in the SNES (NTSC). PAL SNES carts can be fully inserted in Japanese consoles, but a similar chip to the 10NES, called the CIC, prevents PAL games from being played in NTSC consoles and vice-versa.

They even have a lockout chip similar to the 10NES. :ufup By the very fact you need to void your warranty to play games from other regions, the system is region locked.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #969 on: January 13, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
PAL locked like I said.  NTSC is not.  :doge  You don't even have to void the warranty...just throw an Action Replay or Game Genie in there, or get a cheap 'converter' that fits over the tabs and go. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #970 on: January 13, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »

Oh jayzus, it has lite mode. 
:dead
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #971 on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
Glad someone gets it.

helps that i'm pricing out arcade hardware now, so I'm praying for that port :lol

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #972 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
So it really seems like its just a free game for the month

wow so generous nintendo  :doge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #973 on: January 13, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
The price and the seemingly return to waggle focus is draining any interest I had in this.
nat

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #974 on: January 13, 2017, 10:17:29 AM »
A new Super Bomberman. Oh my stars in heaven.
zzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #975 on: January 13, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
The price and the seemingly return to waggle focus is draining any interest I had in this.

Two games with waggle (ARMS also now confirmed to use regular controls too) = waggle focus?  Come on.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #976 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:32 AM »
Glad someone gets it.

helps that i'm pricing out arcade hardware now, so I'm praying for that port :lol

Why not just make a MAME cab?
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #977 on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:24 AM »
because i'm that guy when it comes to mame. :lol just prefer the og hardware, especially for fighters

i have a friend in japan that has been keeping an eye out for me on ST at least, not gonna pay crazy ebay prices. the other games i really wanted i should be able to get in a lot from a friend of a friend that is moving so i shouldn't be getting a bad deal overall.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #978 on: January 13, 2017, 10:26:56 AM »
Neon Console page up at Amazon, not live for preorders yet though
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Neon-Blue-Joy-3ds/dp/B01MUAGZ49/

Also there's an all day stream of game stuff on their YT. They are showing off the hardware now. Stream is a little stuttery but they say they are working on it

Tasty

« Reply #979 on: January 13, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
Gonna have to start socking some money away.

$299.99 - Nintendo Switch with Gray Joy-Con
$69.99 - Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
$89.99 - Nintendo Switch Dock Set*
$59.99 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

$519.96 - Total

:whew

Supposed to go on a cruise in March too with the BF. Going to be interesting to explain why I don't have much spending money... :nintendo Though my yearly bonus is coming in soon so that should help.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
* Extra dock set for when I visit the fam in CT. No joke I bought my sister a Wii U so I could keep playing MK8 and Smash while I was down there. :doge
[close]

Dennis

« Reply #980 on: January 13, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »
Dear lord this is sex

Tasty

« Reply #981 on: January 13, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
Dear lord this is sex

(Image removed from quote.)

The Switch's boxart template is minimalist heaven. Just a small monochrome square. So good. Lets the boxart really breath.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Doesn't matter to me since I'm all-digital but still.
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #982 on: January 13, 2017, 10:47:20 AM »
I think I'll eventually want a Pro controller because of the Dpad but for now I'll wait. I'm probably only getting Zeruda and Bomberman at launch, and I should be fine with the normal controller on those. Might need an extra set of Joycons for Bomberman with friends but we'll see who else I know gets a Switch first.

Tasty

« Reply #983 on: January 13, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
My plan is to have the included Joycons permanently attached to the system (unless someone wants to play local multiplayer at my place) and use the Pro Controller as my main method of play (like I do with Wii U.) Then if I want to take the Switch on the go I just remove the whole thing (no extra steps of re-attaching the Joycons, etc.)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #984 on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »
The Zelda special editions look wack. Just WiiU regular copy for me please.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #985 on: January 13, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »
Nintendo stock after the Switch reveal:

My plan is to have the included Joycons permanently attached to the system (unless someone wants to play local multiplayer at my place) and use the Pro Controller as my main method of play (like I do with Wii U.) Then if I want to take the Switch on the go I just remove the whole thing (no extra steps of re-attaching the Joycons, etc.)

Yup, I plan on doing this too.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #986 on: January 13, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
In all the announcement stuff forgot most of the 3rd party games will be PS4/Switch multi-platform, like rumor SMT is.  So I wouldn't be surprised if the choice comes down to 1440p-4K PS4 version with shitty remote play or 720p-900p portable Switch version.  Will be a tough decision for a lot of rpgs, since portable is big.  I played a lot of Persona 5 in 540p shitty remote play on Vita for comfort.

That being said Xenoblade will be exclusive, so like with Wii U I'll buy the system just for the one Monolithsoft game because Takahashi is still my favorite jrpg creator.

Also just read Suda is going to "begin writing the story for NMH3" soon, so yeah a lot of this stuff is years out.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #987 on: January 13, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
Not a bad idea, might do that. Then I can get the red/blue/whatever colors as well.

Bebpo

« Reply #988 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »
Also, I'm pretty big into 3d Mario games, but not feeling this new one yet.  Do I really want an open world Mario?  Not really.  Looks thrown together for launch rather than the next Mario Galaxy.  Doesn't even look Sunshine to to me.

Will still get it day 1 and play it tho.

Bebpo

« Reply #989 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
The Switch's boxart template is minimalist heaven. Just a small monochrome square. So good. Lets the boxart really breath.

That's the only Switch-related thing I've seen that impresses me.

Everything else is garbage.

A Joycon set costs 80 bucks holy shit lol.

Fucking Nintendo never learns.

Nintendo always price gouges on everything possible related to their consoles.  They are the apple of gaming.  Their systems are $100 over what they should be for the tech (they always sell for profit, never loss), accessories expensive and don't even get me started on their VC pricing or making you rebuy your games over and over.

Also their lack of price reductions for their games.
I always expect to pay premium for Nintendo.  It's annoying but so is buying Apple products.  You just deal with it or you don't buy it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #990 on: January 13, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Jwong is at the Nintendo event and giving impressions on USF2. Seems pretty different from ST in general, though characters have kept certain moves.
https://twitter.com/JWonggg

Tasty

« Reply #991 on: January 13, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »

Nintendo always price gouges on everything possible related to their consoles.  They are the apple of gaming.  Their systems are $100 over what they should be for the tech (they always sell for profit, never loss), accessories expensive and don't even get me started on their VC pricing or making you rebuy your games over and over.

I always expect to pay premium for Nintendo.  It's annoying but so is buying Apple products.  You just deal with it or you don't buy it.

Nah Sony is the Apple of gaming. At least Nintendo uses standard SD cards.

Bebpo

« Reply #992 on: January 13, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »

Nah Sony is the Apple of gaming. At least Nintendo uses standard SD cards.

I'll give you PS3 price (which was reasonable for the tech at the time with BD drive) and Vita memory sticks, but otherwise Sony is pretty good for the money as far as console makers go.  Ps4 prices and even PSVR prices have been very reasonable.

Tasty

« Reply #993 on: January 13, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »
Thinking about my initial reaction to the switch ("Why not just have the Joycons permanently attached to the system and include a Pro Controller?"), the answer seems to be two-fold:

1. They want portable single-system multiplayer to be a thing (two+ people each with one Joycon, plus the kickstand), which I understood from the reveal trailer but I'm doubting makes much sense in 99% of situations.

2. They want to bring back the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. This is what I didn't understand/see coming from the reveal trailer. Two Joycon can completely simulate the Wii Remote and Nunchuk experience (but better, since each one has not only rumble but "HD Rumble," plus four face buttons PLUS two should buttons PLUS an analog stick.)

Factoring in both, the Joycon setup they've gone with makes a lot of sense. Personally I'm not keen on playing Wii-style games again, but it does return the freedom to make such games to developers (who it must be said during the Wii era, did come up with a lot of inventive if not completely fleshed out experiences.) Like, I still prefer RE4 Wii Edition because of the IR aiming and would have skipped a Wii U HD version cause of that (assuming it didn't support Wii Remotes, which seems likely.)

By default the Wii U dumped the Wii Remote concept entirely and Nintendo's answer was a shrug and "Eh you can use your last-gen controllers too." Devs couldn't count on it at all. But on Switch every system comes with not one but two Wii Remote-like controllers. And a pro controller of sorts, too. That's quite a bit of creative freedom. Will be interesting to see what devs do in the middle-to-last half of the life of this thing.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #994 on: January 13, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »
Bore is hype for the Switch while Neogaf is seemingly calling Nintendo out for their foolishness

Truly a contrarian message board  :neogaf

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #995 on: January 13, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
Bore is hype for the Switch while Neogaf is seemingly calling Nintendo out for their foolishness

The OG Nintendo haters have left for Facebook (and don't care any more), or the tone would be a lot different here.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #996 on: January 13, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Just got back from the GS near my work, preordered the system and Zeruda...
^_^

« Reply #997 on: January 13, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
SMT looked cool but with it running on UE4 it kinda screams PS4/Switch. Nothing else impressed me. :idont

Genuinely surprised Dragon Quest Builders wasn't announced for it.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #998 on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »

Huh? There's more haters than not. Rahx, Creepy Old Guy, bork, Dufus, seagrams, Huff, Esch, Lager, morma, etc.

Only me, Himu, 213372bu and maybe nacho are actually excited.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:14:51 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #999 on: January 13, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
The Joypad that comes with the system doesn't charge the Joycons - the only way to charge them is to have them attached to the tablet.

Pretty much cements my gaming setup (posted above) for this. :doge

(They're going to sell an optional accessory that lets you charge the Joycons via the Joypad for $30.)

Huff

« Reply #1000 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
It's not really hating to note that

This overall presentation is crap

The launch line up is emptier than the Wii U

Third party is not there

The price is too high

Overall likely to fail

But I'm sure it will have a couple games that children will enjoy
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1001 on: January 13, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »

Huh? There's more haters than not. Rahx, Creepy Old Guy, bork, Dufus, seagrams, Huff, Esch, Lager, morma, etc.

Yeah, I hate it so much that I pre-ordered one this morning. 
:ufup
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: January 13, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »

:crazy
ど助平

Huff

« Reply #1003 on: January 13, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
No one said you were smart either
dur

Bebpo

« Reply #1004 on: January 13, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »

I thought Bork sounded pretty hype for the fighters.

I'm in the middle, I like portable gaming so the idea sounds good to me.  Xenoblade 2 being 2017 is the best announcement in a while, but otherwise everything else is far off or questionable so no real excitement, especially after I saw NoA'a 2017 release list showing nothing post-launch until the end of the year.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1005 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »

I thought Bork sounded pretty hype for the fighters.

I'm in the middle, I like portable gaming so the idea sounds good to me.  Xenoblade 2 being 2017 is the best announcement in a while, but otherwise everything else is far off or questionable so no real excitement, especially after I saw NoA'a 2017 release list showing nothing post-launch until the end of the year.

I'm in the middle too.  Like most of us here, it seems.  That's the impression I gather from our reactions.  Hype for some stuff and wondering what the fuck is wrong with them for other stuff.  For me the big draw is this system being both portable and a console.  As someone who often double dips, this will save me some money...assuming it does well enough to get more third party games.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1006 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »

Yeah, I hate it so much that I pre-ordered one this morning. 
:ufup

You can be a hater while owning the thing. I have a PS3 after all. ;)

Though maybe it was a mischaracterization. Still, I'd hardly call the Bore as a whole "hyped" for this thing. :neogaf

Tasty

« Reply #1008 on: January 13, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

:nintendo

Bebpo

« Reply #1009 on: January 13, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »
I mean, that being said, I've bought US/JPN versions of every system since like PS1/N64/Saturn era (had Colleco Vision/Atari 2600/NES/Genesis/SNES, but didn't have Sega CD, 32x, Neo-Geo, Jaguar, Lynx, TG-16, 3DO though friends had them so played them there), so once it's easily available of course I'll buy one to have for the couple of games that look interesting.

Then again, I still haven't bought an Xbox One.  But I don't think Switch games will all be available on PC :P

Bebpo

« Reply #1010 on: January 13, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »

Ok, jesus Nintendo can always go fuck themselves when it comes to price gouging on VC.

So with PS+ you get multiple $20-60 PS4 games every month for free that you keep as long as you subscribe.
With Nintendo+ you get one 10-20 year old $1-$5 emulator rom (with online play) that works for a month and then you lose it.

::)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1011 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
I'm hype for the Nintendo stuff, Xeno 2, SMT, and Bomberman. I'm unsure as far as most 3rd party stuff but I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, the rest is just gravy. Though I can see myself getting 3rd party stuff on this, especially RPGs, over X1 or PC just for the portable aspect.

Tasty

« Reply #1012 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »

At the very least this may actually force me to finish the game instead of leaving it in my backlog forever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: January 13, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
So this popped up at the end of an Ultra Street Fighter II trailer:

ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1014 on: January 13, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
Just preordered my Switch on Amazon!! :hyper Glad they don't charge until it ships. Hopefully it actually gets delivered on release day because I took it off this morning.

Was sorta looking forward to the in-person launch experience again, but I dunno, guess I'm getting old...

Tasty

« Reply #1015 on: January 13, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
So this popped up at the end of an Ultra Street Fighter II trailer:

:lol How insane would it be if they added full CG cutscenes to a Street Fighter II port?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
You can be a hater while owning the thing. I have a PS3 after all. ;)

Yeah, but that's fucking distinguished mentally-challenged.   :doge

Though maybe it was a mischaracterization. Still, I'd hardly call the Bore as a whole "hyped" for this thing. :neogaf

It's not a black and white thing here- you can like some stuff and not others.  Like being interested in the Switch and thinking that the waggle crap is a major mistake and awful shit.

:idont
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1017 on: January 13, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
Just preordered my Switch on Amazon!! :hyper Glad they don't charge until it ships. Hopefully it actually gets delivered on release day because I took it off this morning.

Was sorta looking forward to the in-person launch experience again, but I dunno, guess I'm getting old...

Thanks for the heads up.  Grabbed mine.  I like how with the PS4 launch there were no lines or waiting or anything, just order on amazon and then it arrives on launch day.  At this point if I can't buy a system on amazon I won't bother until I can.  There's a billion games to play out right now, no rush to get something new if it takes more effort than 1-click.

Tasty

« Reply #1018 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
It's not a black and white thing here- you can like some stuff and not others.  Like being interested in the Switch and thinking that the waggle crap is a major mistake and awful shit.

:idont

Was responding to Mr. Nobody's post. :nintendo

Bebpo

« Reply #1019 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »
Lemme know when Zelda Switch is up for pre-order.  I just realized since the system doesn't come with games, if I don't buy Zelda I won't have any games to actually try the system out for 6 months lol.  Guess I'm getting/playing Zelda after all.  Game better not suck like Skyward Sword and be tedious fetch quest backtracking tutorial handhold arghhh...it's totally going to be that again why do I keep doing this to myself :(