Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 948943 times)

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1080 on: January 13, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1081 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
Portable PS360 that gets third party support wouldn't be bad. It's what I hoped the Vita would be. :trumps

Too bad like that, it probably won't get it. :ahnuld2

Tasty

« Reply #1082 on: January 13, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
So everyone keeps telling me "ALL internal Nintendo devs are consolidating work onto Switch" but to me that sounds insane. They own the market for VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE TOYS FOR CHILDREN WITH GOOD BATTERY LIFE AND FANTASTIC CHILDREN'S GAMES priced at $99-$150.  The Switch is not that and unless it gets a mega hardware refresh where it's smooshed down into a clamshell....no, just no. I still see Switch <> handheld for a long long time, and I doubt there will be a unified platform for Nintendo  :miyamoto

Agreed.  People are going to see it as a successor to the Wii U, not 3DS.  The Switch is going to do Wii U like numbers and then we'll see the announcement of a 3DS successor.  That or they're just going to start releasing more mobile games.

We're going to see a clamshell Switch redesign with integrated Joycons and a much smaller screen for $150 in the next two years, I'd bet. Like a reverse-2DS lol.

GBA SP 2 incoming :rejoice

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #1083 on: January 13, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »
Portable PS360 that gets third party support wouldn't be bad. It's what I hoped the Vita would be. :trumps

Too bad like that, it probably won't get it. :ahnuld2

Vita except with paid online that has "free" NES/SNES games that you can only play for the month the "offer" exists, then you'll have to buy them. Didn't Vita also have voice chat?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1084 on: January 13, 2017, 06:21:39 PM »
Yes you can chat with Vita. Typical dirty poor username slagging on Vita. Get a job
fat

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #1085 on: January 13, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »
Those fucking nuWaggle sticks are $80 a pair and don't even come with the plastic shell :lol

They're selling them separately for $50 each :lol

They're trying to get $50 for a minigame collection that would have come packed in with Wii and Wii U :lol

They're triple-doubling down on nickel and diming their customer base to death this time around, aren't they? :lol

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1086 on: January 13, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
Wait you have to use an app on your fuckin phone to voice chat? lmao. Nintendo basically saying "just call your friends" at this point

joke? or is for real?

nope it's real lol. Not even available at launch

“Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.”

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

also I resent being called a hater tasty. I want nintendo to flourish because I cannot and do not want to imagine a world where they aren't making games and hardware. I actually did preorder one on amazon in case I talk myself into wanting one in the next month and a half, but realistically I don't think enough is gonna come between now and then to sway my opinion. I'd like a VC that included Wii-U titles but I think that's probably pretty unlikely at this point. Nintendo has just shit the bed so bad when it comes to things that were very basic features two generations ago EG anything pertaining to the internet that I have almost no faith in them to get it right now. That said, they do some weirdly modern shit now and then like the ACNL amibo update, but that kind of token exception doesn't do a lot to bolster my expectations.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1087 on: January 13, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Those fucking nuWaggle sticks are $80 a pair and don't even come with the plastic shell :lol

They're selling them separately for $50 each :lol

They're trying to get $50 for a minigame collection that would have come packed in with Wii and Wii U :lol

They're triple-doubling down on nickel and diming their customer base to death this time around, aren't they? :lol

Why not? Have you read Tasty's posts in this thread? Seems like a sound strategy.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1088 on: January 13, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
Being too pussy to address my post and instead refer to me in the third person...

Keep taking that L, betch.

Himu

« Reply #1089 on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
That sass! Tell him gurl!

Imagine Suikoden VI on the Switch :drool

IYKYK

« Reply #1090 on: January 13, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »
Damn, Tasty. I was starting to be impressed by you and your newfound realistic view of things. Now that I've come back from a self-imposed exile, I see you're back to your ruby colored fanboy ways. Like what you like but damn dude, take a step back and get some perspective.

I need to stay out of Nintendo threads. The cognitive dissonance is hurting my brain.
野球

Himu

« Reply #1091 on: January 13, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
Damn, Tasty. I was starting to be impressed by you and your newfound realistic view of things. Now that I've come back from a self-imposed exile, I see you're back to your ruby colored fanboy ways. Like what you like but damn dude, take a step back and get some perspective.

I need to stay out of Nintendo threads. The cognitive dissonance is hurting my brain.

:confused
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1092 on: January 13, 2017, 09:22:13 PM »

I have no preconceptions. This thing might be a Wii U-level failure. But if it has a Wii U-level library, I'm totally fine.

Fanboy? Yes. Biased? Definitely. Willing to call Nintendo on their shit? Still yes.

It's weird, but as a Nintendo fan and someone who knows what to expect from them, I'm less swayed by their grand claims. However, I'm still annoyed by various other things no one else cares about. USB Type-A. No Mother 3. Lack of VC forwarding. Et cetera.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1093 on: January 13, 2017, 09:50:42 PM »
Hold up, VC titles will have to be bought all over again? How many times is that now, 4? :lol

Himu

« Reply #1094 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
Hold up, VC titles will have to be bought all over again? How many times is that now, 4? :lol

No different than what sony is doing with ps2 on ps4.

MS is the only company with any real bc now.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1095 on: January 13, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
Yes you can chat with Vita. Typical dirty poor username slagging on Vita. Get a job

Way to read. I meant console-games. Not pedo-rape-sims like the Vita that you buy by the droves, actual games. And definitely not talking about the voice-chat here.

Raist

« Reply #1096 on: January 13, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »

I mean we're talking about decades old titles that have been emulated on everything but toasters and that they still make you rebuy for the 3rd time in a row because it apparently requires some emulating work for each title, apparently. Like, sure.

Himu

« Reply #1097 on: January 13, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »

I mean we're talking about decades old titles that have been emulated on everything but toasters and that they still make you rebuy for the 3rd time in a row because it apparently requires some emulating work for each title, apparently. Like, sure.

It's no different than Sony requiring you to rebuy your ps2 game on PS3 and doing the same shit on ps4. Let's be real. The date the games were made is irrelevant. Most PS3 games do not work on ps4. The ps4 doesn't even support ps1 games yet and you'll have to buy those too and they also run on a toaster. Same shit, same hypocrisy.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1098 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
PS4 doesnt need a older library or nostalgia to fill in the gaps though. Real BC is a big reason why I got an xbone, but its own library has tons of variety.

Nintendo is sitting on the best retro gaming nostalgia pile possible, and they never make anything of that pile when they need to. Every Nintendo game should be on a marketplace, NES to Wii u. But they do some dumbass dork shit that imitates the competition years ago.

Nintendo has no sense of progress or place. Its madness thru and thru. Some respect that madness, I think its a ton of horseshit.
OH!

Raist

« Reply #1099 on: January 13, 2017, 10:50:17 PM »

It's no different than Sony requiring you to rebuy your ps2 game on PS3 and doing the same shit on ps4. Let's be real. The date the games were made is irrelevant. Most PS3 games do not work on ps4. The ps4 doesn't even support ps1 games yet and you'll have to buy those too and they also run on a toaster. Same shit, same hypocrisy.

How exactly is "you can't play old games" no different than "I'm pleased to announce that for the 3rd new gen of our console in a row, you can still play your favourite SNES games! Gonna be another 10 bucks though bruv."

You could play PS1 and PS2 games with a significant portion of PS3 put on the market. After that they release a handful of HD remasters. And another handful for the PS4. Nintendo is selling you the same fucking ROM dumps for the 3rd time. Games that have been emulated floawlessly on PC for like 2 decades. And on fucking mobile phones and tablets for a while. I mean seriously.

Himu

« Reply #1100 on: January 13, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
Every Nintendo game should be on a marketplace, NES to Wii u. But they do some dumbass dork shit that imitates the competition years ago.

This makes no sense. So they should prioritize making their own service than making a new system? This is stupid. Copying what "dork shit"? The premise of the Switch is pretty new.

Is being passive aggressive genetic in Nintendo haters?
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #1101 on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »
I'm a huge DB stan who ignored Super, now all I'm seeing is blue hair and wondering what the name, number and power levels are for it.

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

I'm not even joking. Nor is it a typo.

Himu

« Reply #1102 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59:31 PM »

How exactly is "you can't play old games" no different than "I'm pleased to announce that for the 3rd new gen of our console in a row, you can still play your favourite SNES games! Gonna be another 10 bucks though bruv."

You could play PS1 and PS2 games with a significant portion of PS3 put on the market. After that they release a handful of HD remasters. And another handful for the PS4. Nintendo is selling you the same fucking ROM dumps for the 3rd time. Games that have been emulated floawlessly on PC for like 2 decades. And on fucking mobile phones and tablets for a while. I mean seriously.

Bullshit.

The only ps3s that were bc were the 20gig and the 60gig which were promptly phased out in favor of the slim. Most people did not have a PS3 until the slim. More than that, the units that could play ps2 games were prone to yellow lighting. You could use your ps1 games on the PS3. But you could easily just hook up your n64 or SNES and play those games you own too. PS3 was incapable of playing ps2 games until they decided to sell them via ps2 classics. Companies made their own HD remasters. If you bought ps1 games for PS3/psp you CANNOT use them on your ps4. If you bought mega man 9 you cannot use it on your pe4 unless you have ps now or some shit.

People who wanted to play ff7 (a 20 year old game) on their system have to buy the ps4 version. You can't use your original disc and you can't use the digital version if you bought it on PS3/psp.

If you had ps2 classics then guess what, you have to rebuy them on ps4.

I see no difference between that and Nintendo forcing you to rebuy VC games after Wii/Wii u. It's the same shit Sony did but with one extra system on top.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1103 on: January 13, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »
I'm a huge DB stan who ignored Super, now all I'm seeing is blue hair and wondering what the name, number and power levels are for it.

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

I'm not even joking. Nor is it a typo.

It's actually called Super Saiyan Blue in Super. It's only called SSGSS in RoF and BoG.
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #1104 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »
"Promptly phased out"

A whole 3 fucking years after it launched :lol
Whatevs.

Himu

« Reply #1105 on: January 13, 2017, 11:05:48 PM »
"Promptly phased out"

A whole 3 fucking years after it launched :lol
Whatevs.

PS3 was not a must own system until 2009/2010.

Real talk. System was straight mess from 2006 until 2009. No one had any reason to buy a PS3 and again, the slim sold far more than the original. Sony having bc and taking it out is far worse than anything Nintendo has ever done.

But keep defending a fucking 600 dollar system. If you can defend that piece of trash, I'll defend the switch as much as I want.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1106 on: January 13, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
Every Nintendo game should be on a marketplace, NES to Wii u. But they do some dumbass dork shit that imitates the competition years ago.

This makes no sense. So they should prioritize making their own service than making a new system? This is stupid. Copying what "dork shit"? The premise of the Switch is pretty new.

"You get a free classic game for this month and this month only!" apes ps + and xbl gold entirely in the dumbest way possible.

Also, YES THEY SHOULD PRIORITIZE A SERVICE FOR ALL THEIR GAMES. It would increase the quality and quantity of the systems library tenfold. Shrugging that concept off is inept as fuck.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1107 on: January 13, 2017, 11:24:39 PM »

PS3 was not a must own system until 2009/2010.

Real talk. System was straight mess from 2006 until 2009. No one had any reason to buy a PS3

:crazy

What?  So games like Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken 5 DR, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Hot Shots Golf 5, Heavenly Sword, Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto IV, Devil May Cry 4, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Soul Calibur IV, Dead Space, Saint's Row 2, Bioshock, Rock Band, Fallout 3, Midnight Club LA, Little Big Planet, Mirror's Edge, Demon's Souls, Street Fighter IV, Killzone 2, Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5, Infamous, BlazBlue, Batman Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2, Wipeout HD, Tekken 6, Dragon Age Origins, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and Assassin's Creed II among tons of other games weren't worth checking out? 

Damn, PS3 sucked, huh?  No good games there.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #1108 on: January 13, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
Most of those games were on 360.

Modern Warfare 2 (multiplatform), Dragon Age Origins (multiplatform), Arkham Asylum (multiplatform), Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5 (multiplatform), Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes didn't come out until 2009.

Listing a game like VF5 is lol. That game lacked features and no online. And everyone knows the 360 version is better.

2009 was when PS3 was actually must buy. Especially when the slim came out. Your post even proves this by listening so many 2009 games.

So yes, PS3 was trash until the slim came out. Paying 600 dollars for a system that had most of the same games as the 360 for 300 more but WORSE, worse online, worse EVERYTHING. PS3 is a great system but it took it a long time to reach that point. That's not controversial at all. Listing games like HEAVENLY SWORD. Bwahaha.

If anyone is shitting on the switch but bought a launch PS3 I'm sorry but :rofl :rofl :rofl
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1109 on: January 14, 2017, 12:10:23 AM »

"You get a free classic game for this month and this month only!" apes ps + and xbl gold entirely in the dumbest way possible.

Also, YES THEY SHOULD PRIORITIZE A SERVICE FOR ALL THEIR GAMES. It would increase the quality and quantity of the systems library tenfold. Shrugging that concept off is inept as fuck.

:yeshrug

Sony has a storied library as well. As does MS. But you don't seem to be making the same sort of criticism for them. Who cares if Nintendo online apes ps+ and Xbl? Why *wouldn't* it?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1110 on: January 14, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
Thinking about it, people trashed ps3's lineup for yeaaaaars.

Remember PS3 has no game? :lol

I remember when people complained that they were getting more out of their bc games like FFXII and Persona 3 more than actual PS3 games.

Fast forward ten years later.

Delusional Sony fan who bought aforementioned launch PS3 system: Nintendo fans paying for nostalgia once again! Nintendo needs you to rebuy VC games for nostalgia because they have no games!

:rofl

Never forget.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:25:46 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

« Reply #1111 on: January 14, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »
The PS4 is the first "clean break" with no BC, just like the Switch, because the PS3 was a frankenstinian monstrosity that is best forgetting all about.. BC for games made on the PS4 and onward is easier because the system isn't a mess of unique parts (Cell Processor, Emotion Engine) that make it hell to develop for.

The difference is, QoI, that the digital ps1 and psp games I bought an eternity ago are still fully playable and downloadable on my PSP and PSV, as well as the digital PS1 and PS2 games I bought for the ps3. I could sell my systems, come back to them 7 years from now and still be able to download and play those games from my account. Just because I got a PS4 doesn't mean those games are gone.

Meanwhile, all the digital purchases I made on my Wii are stuck on my Wii until it dies. I never bought a WiiU, but even if I had, the digital offerings on Wii and WiiU were never 1:1, and they asked me for money to transfer my shit over as an "upgrade". On top of that, none of my 3DS digital purchases, VC or otherwise, would have been shareable with my WiiU purchases, because the concept of Cross-buy is completely alien to Nintendo.

So to tally that up, Sony has only asked me to pay once for those games, MAYBE twice whenever they get around to putting ps1 games on ps4 (cause the ps2 games available on ps4 aren't even the same as the ones on ps3). Nintendo would have asked me to rebuy the same games on FOUR different occasions: on the Wii, on the WiiU, on the 3DS, and now on the Switch. Add one more if you pick up an NES classsic, with its un-changeable library of games that are already on VC systems spread across all three consoles. My Wii purchases and my 3DS purchases are both locked in those systems until the day they die, because I have to own two of those systems at the same time if I want to do a system transfer. If I'd bought a WiiU, I can only play my games on that WiiU until it also dies, unless I was also stupid enough to buy a second one. I cannot just sell those systems, buy a new one years later and re-download all my old games.

This is why Nintendo gets ridiculed. It is not at all a 1:1 comparison to either Sony or MS. Even on an Xbox account, the games you bought on the 360 at launch are still there and waiting to be played even if they aren't supported by the XB1. Same with mobile devices. PC games. Same with literally every digital market EXCEPT Nintendo, which expects for you to rebuy Super Mario Bros for $5 in every platform it puts the game on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:48:42 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Himu

« Reply #1112 on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:09 AM »
Okay, that's fair, but you only include ps1. Why no ps2? That's at least twice purchase.

I do think that Nintendo should allow you to transfer purchases from Wii u/3ds to Switch. So  I won't defend that. But I'm in the same situation with the Switch as I am with the ps4. So the number of times doesn't really matter to me. You're still gonna be chucking up the dough no matter which system and both are indefensible.

Also I think it's naive to think you'll always be able to own those digital purchases on ps systems. Digital isn't always as reliable as you think. Games like Outrun online and Afterburner Climax are proof of that. On mobile digital purchases are even more murky because a lot of titles may not work on your firmware. Buying digital is a gamble. You're treating it like should be guaranteed when, clearly, as no ps1/2 classics on ps4 and no VC purchase transfer on switch shows us, it's not reliable nor worth trusting. Tell m, do you expect to be able to play ps2 on ps4 titles on ps5 if Sony eventually makes it? I don't. Still didn't stop me from purchasing Dark Cloud 2. I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to likely be able to transfer VC titles from my 3ds to the next Nintendo handheld and I was right. Games like Crimson Sheoud will be lost in time besides the JP boxed version. Buying digital is messy no matter the platform and any time I buy a digital version of a game I'm doing so with the ful expectation that I will never be able to play it past that system. Psp ps1 games being cross buy acceptable on PS3 was the on lone exception. BC is busted and no longer a guaranteed thing these days. Why would digital be?

But  ultimately, right now, the situations between ps hardware and Nintendo hardware is the same. Sure, maybe when your Wii dies you won't have access to your VC games. But it's not dead, is it? So you need to plug it up to play your VC games. Just like how you need to plug in your PS3 to play your ps1 classics. In the here and now it's literally the same situation. Your caveat is future tense.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:20:39 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

« Reply #1113 on: January 14, 2017, 01:24:52 AM »
I did include the PS2, which only has like 4 games that overlap between PS3 and PS4. It still only counts for Sony only asking you to rebuy shit twice over the span of 10 years, while Nintendo has asked you to rebuy your stuff four to five times within the same timeframe. Your point about being in the same position for both is fair, but that's why context is important. The number of times the company has been guilty about something, as well as how badly the infractions are, contribute to why Nintendo gets flogged over this but Sony doesn't.

Sony hardware has a history of hard to develop for and esoteric parts for the PS2 and PS3. But where their hardware was dumb and esoteric, they focused on getting their digital storefront up and running and set to modern standards, with only the hardware holding them back from doing anything they wanted. The PS4 is a direct answer to that.  It's setting a clean slate so that future games on that system are much, much easier to port and get running on their future hardware, supported by the online backend that they've spent 10 years growing and nurturing.

Nintendo doesn't share this excuse. Nintendo's hardware history is that of gimmicks making their systems into a convoluted puzzle where third party developers have to jump through hoops to modify their games for, but is otherwise simple tech-wise (two gamecubes taped together). But where they kept the hardware simple, Nintendo never ever invested in getting their digital offerings up to date. Now they have to do the same clean break as Sony, but the digital mess they're leaving behind is horrendous and not clean. So naturally, people are already coming into this clean break with ill-will and mistrust in their digital future, compared to Sony which had, until the PS4, still managed to keep all their games running within their platforms (with poor performance, but still).

The future IS the way to look at it though. I'm not worried about being able to play the games now, that's a given. Yes, I can hook up my Wii and play those VC games now. I can play with my digital 3Ds games now. But I already know those games are doomed to perish one day because there's no persistent account tracking the games I own, and even if there was, those games can only be played on ONE SYSTEM unless I physically transfer those credentials. Meanwhile, I can boot up my Vita and play a PS1 game I bought when PSN first went online on the PS3. Hell, I could download a PSP game to my PS3, then transfer that to any second hand PSP I bought this year. Sony has shown me that they have an interest in making sure the purchases I make today are safe for a pretty long time. It's why I can safely buy things on PSN without a care. Nintendo has done no such thing to dissuade those fears for tons of people, because of their incompetence in getting a proper online marketplace up and running.

(Afterburner Climax got delisted, but its still sitting safely on my PSN download list ready to be downloaded the day I want to play it again, no matter what PS3 I download it to. This is not something I could say the same for a delisted game on a Nintendo system.)

You're treating it like should be guaranteed when, clearly, as no ps1/2 classics on ps4 and no VC purchase transfer on switch shows us, it's not reliable nor worth trusting. Tell m, do you expect to be able to play ps2 on ps4 titles on ps5 if Sony eventually makes it? I don't. Still didn't stop me from purchasing Dark Cloud 2. I knew for a fact that I wasn't going to likely be able to transfer VC titles from my 3ds to the next Nintendo handheld and I was right. Games like Crimson Sheoud will be lost in time besides the JP boxed version. Buying digital is messy no matter the platform and any time I buy a digital version of a game I'm doing so with the ful expectation that I will never be able to play it past that system. Psp ps1 games being cross buy acceptable on PS3 was the on lone exception. BC is busted and no longer a guaranteed thing these days. Why would digital be?

No, I don't expect to play all my ps1 games on my ps4 or ps5 in the future. I'm not psychic. But what I am certain of is that, until the day the online backends for my old consoles get sunset, I will never have to worry about whether or not I can play them again on those systems in the future.

The issue with buying Super Mario Bros on four different occasions is that, four three of those times, Nintendo made it abundantly clear that you would someday lose access to that copy of the game. Nintendo doesn't give a shit whether I want to play my digital games years from now, they just care about getting my money now. This is why I don't spend money on digital Nintendo games anymore. This is why I point and laugh when they ask people to pay for their online service that they've never once shown any interest in actually maintaining. Because they've shown me multiple times in the past that they don't care about what my purchases are worth to me, and maybe never will.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:33:12 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Himu

« Reply #1114 on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:06 AM »
Read my edit about digital games. I don't trust digital stuff as far as i can throw em. I didn't upgrade my iOS firmware for a full year so I could still have access to the games I bought.  On App Store, some games are full out delisted and then rendered unplayable on your current firmware. On android you couldn't dl specific apps because you're blocked out since you don't have the right hardware or firmware or something. You said other digital storefronts are similar to Sony but they really aren't.

And when I buy digital I always know I'm playing with fire, flipping a coin, et al. I'm sorry, but I fully expected Nintendo to do this and fully expect to not be able to play my digital ps4 stuff on ps5 as well. Doesn't make it okay, but you should at least be cognizant any time you buy digital for ANYTHING.

Digital is utterly unreliable.

The main difference here is that Sony threw us a bone for one whole generation. I doubt they will further. You trust companies with digital; I don't. This is why I bought a retail copy of FFXIV despite already having it on my ps4 hard drive back from when I dled the trial.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #1115 on: January 14, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
Can we talk about how fucking stupid trying to reinvent both waggle and hd rumble is?
NO

« Reply #1116 on: January 14, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »
Ok, but I'm not trying to convince you that digital isn't a crapshoot still, because it is. I'm providing context for why Nintendo has the rep they have, and why Sony gets a "free pass" over no BC on their current system while Nintendo is getting racked over the coals for it. People don't hate on Nintendo because they have nothing better to do.

...Well, most of the time.  :heh

Hell, Miiverse and Streepass, the two major staple, community focused features from the 3DS and WiiU aren't coming to the Switch. That's, again, how little Nintendo thinks about growing their online community and online features/integration, without even getting into said hornet's nest that is actual game purchases. That'd be akin to Sony/MS cutting Trophies/Achievements from future consoles, a feature that entire communities have gathered around and interact with for.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:43:06 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Himu

« Reply #1117 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:15 AM »
I agree with that. But disagree on the miiverse/street pass stuff. For all we know they could be making replacements. We simply don't know yet. I think it highly likely that miiverse will return. It's been really successful for Nintendo. And they clearly aren't getting rid of mii's (see Miitomo). No Street pass is a head scratcher though. I wouldn't say it's akin to Sony/ms taking out trophies and achievements though. Miiverse for instance is still new and could be remade for what they're planning to do on switch. Kinda like how Sony made communities.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1118 on: January 14, 2017, 01:55:01 AM »
wait thisnis the launch lineup?

– 1, 2 Switch
– The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
– Just Dance 2017
– Has Been Heroes
– Snipperclips
– Super Bomberman R
– Disgaea 5 Complete
– Puyo Puyo Tetris
– Rayman Legends
– Steep
– Skylanders: Imaginators
– I Am Setsuna

« Reply #1119 on: January 14, 2017, 02:06:03 AM »
I'd be more likely to agree on them having something to replace it if the console wasnt in store shelves in less 3 months and already taking pre-orders for the system. We shoulda known more about the Switch months ago to begin with, not dumping all the good and the bad so close to release.

Streetpass getting gutted is pretty big. Anectodal evidence and all, but pretty much every single convention, gathering, or whatever I went to across the years had people all taking their 3DS with them if just to streetpass with other people and get puzzle pieces, share game content, etc etc. You could take your 3DS to a game convention and max out your Mii Plaza Visitor count in minutes. That's not even considering Japan, where you're actually likely to run into 3DS users in the wild. Very much like how Achievements and Trophies have organically grown a community of their own over a system feature.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1120 on: January 14, 2017, 02:28:36 AM »
nvm after reading the last couple pages i'm just gonna ebay my preorder

bachikarn

« Reply #1121 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:08 AM »
Can we talk about how fucking stupid trying to reinvent both waggle and hd rumble is?

Apparently HD rumble is good, but I really don't get a fuck about either

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1122 on: January 14, 2017, 03:45:10 AM »
Whats the explanation people on gaf are giving for the anemic launch lineup considering wii u didnt get any support fpr years now?

wasnt all of nintendo prepping for this?

Raist

« Reply #1123 on: January 14, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »
Right so I've got around to reading all the latest details.

Once again, the concept is good and makes sense for them, but the execution is a fucking dumpster fire.

- Price tag is too high, ESPECIALLY considering that there's no packed in game (1-2 switch screams Wii Sports / Nintendoland level stuff) and because...

- $90 for a glorified HDMI out with a fan, $80 for ant-sized controllers, and $70 for a 3rd reskin of the "Pro" controller is insane. Nintendo once again focuses on local MP, but they'll make you bleed money for it.

- It is absolutely BAFFLING that they won't allow external HDD storage linking to the Dock. Wouldn't it make fucking sense to have that as a library of games and you can easily switch (lulz) which ones you want on the go? Noooo let's not because this "goes against the philosophy of a portable", and also have 32gigs of internal storage only, because this is 2004 or something. Which leads me to...

- The only way to add more storage is a fucking micro SD card, which unless you go for really high end stuff has absolute garbage transfer rates and is prone to quick deterioration after extensive use (which is gonna happen fast when you run entire games off of it).

- The fact that the battery can't be easily user-replaced is a joke. Especially since I'm sure some 3rd parties would make some more potent ones, but I suppose that's the idea. Given that the only way to play on a TV will have the system charge as soon as it's docked regardless of battery levels, that ain't great battery management either for Li-ion stuff.

- Have they said whether they'll sell just the system? Because if you want to replace it, will your only option be to go through their CS, or you'll have to rebuy an entire package with a dock you don't need. They never sold WiiU controllers on their own, so I wouldn't put it past them...

- You need an app to use on a phone or tablet for voice chat? So basically it's a proprietary skype/discord solution requiring another device. Amazing.

- They'd need to make a gargantuan update to their online system to justify making people pay for it. And I doubt they will.

I think that covers it. The VC stuff is a joke but I've mentioned that already.
I suppose the 8-system LAN thing is cool.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #1124 on: January 14, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
Looking at it now with all the reveal hype over. Nintendo nailed down the "Product people want that's totally different to PS4/Xbone with great games in the first year" part. But it's so mired in a legion of bad circumstantial decisions outside of it. Not Xbone reveal levels of "You killed it before it even launched, you idiots" but the messaging is awful and the price gouging is insane. It's $50 well over what it needed to be and with 1,2 Switch as a digital pack in title. And the paid online service is a joke. People already had a hard time justifying PS+ this generation. Getting even less from Nintendo is insane, especially the way they are handling the "Free" Virtual Console games and voice chat through smartphones. I know Ninstanleys already said "Use your phone" for Splatoon but I never thought Nintendo would take them seriously 

I'm still probably going to buy it by the end of the year cause Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 look fucking legit, though :goty :ufup

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1125 on: January 14, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
*reads thread *

yeah I don't want this any more
pcp

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #1126 on: January 14, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
So have they said what VC games are going to be available at launch, if any? GameCube, Wii, etc? Or are they just entirely starting from scratch?

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1127 on: January 14, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
I've got a Switch pre-ordered along with Zelda BotW Master Edition. :hyper

Y'all some negative-ass nancies.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1128 on: January 14, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »

- It is absolutely BAFFLING that they won't allow external HDD storage linking to the Dock. Wouldn't it make fucking sense to have that as a library of games and you can easily switch (lulz) which ones you want on the go? Noooo let's not because this "goes against the philosophy of a portable", and also have 32gigs of internal storage only, because this is 2004 or something. Which leads me to...

Huh?  I thought it was confirmed that you could use an external HDD with the dock?  It has a USB 3.0 port in the back.
ど助平

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #1129 on: January 14, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
So have they said what VC games are going to be available at launch, if any? GameCube, Wii, etc? Or are they just entirely starting from scratch?

You already know the answer to that.

No, I mean I know they're going to make you buy them all again, but is anything going to be ready?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1130 on: January 14, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Most of those games were on 360.

So what?  That doesn't affect the quality of the line-up.  Not everyone had a 360 back then.  The Switch has barely anything listed coming out for it....including ports.

Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes didn't come out until 2009.

...You said the PS3 wasn't worth it until 2009/2010

Listing a game like VF5 is lol. That game lacked features and no online. And everyone knows the 360 version is better.

Again, so what?  I'm not listing those games to be critical of them.  I don't even like some of them.  I just pointed out what was available.

It was the only version of VF5 out at the time.  You're forgetting things.

2009 was when PS3 was actually must buy. Especially when the slim came out. Your post even proves this by listening so many 2009 games.

And I listed a bunch of pre-2009 games, too.  :doge

So yes, PS3 was trash until the slim came out. Paying 600 dollars for a system that had most of the same games as the 360 for 300 more but WORSE, worse online, worse EVERYTHING. PS3 is a great system but it took it a long time to reach that point. That's not controversial at all. Listing games like HEAVENLY SWORD. Bwahaha.

The XBox 360 core, with no HDD (lol) was $299.99.  It was a $400 system for the regular version and you had to pay $50 a year for online.  The PS3 was more expensive, but online was free.

If anyone is shitting on the switch but bought a launch PS3 I'm sorry but :rofl :rofl :rofl

I'm not really seeing what's so lol-worthy about it.  It just means that someone who got suckered a decade ago knows better now.  :doge  The Switch has a pretty bad launch line-up.  Its one big game...is a Wii U title.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:13:59 AM by bork pls »
ど助平

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #1131 on: January 14, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »

Yeah, but you can already play that on their previous system that has an established (small) library and is backwards compatible with their previous console's disc library. And the only other games coming until Fall are basically repacks of Wii U games. I just don't know who this $300 system is for. Seems like a trash fire for the first year.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1132 on: January 14, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »

Yeah, but you can already play that on their previous system that has an established (small) library and is backwards compatible with their previous console's disc library. And the only other games coming until Fall are basically repacks of Wii U games. I just don't know who this $300 system is for. Seems like a trash fire for the first year.

I've seen that even some heavily pro-Nintendo outlets like GameExplain are shitting all over the system's launch line-up.  It's pretty bad.  Another Zelda multi-plat release.  A new Mario but not until the Fall.  Mario Kart 8 port.  Splatoon 2.  And then a small amount of third party stuff. 

Nintendo needed to announce games that would set the gaming world on fire and get people interested in them again after the Wii U bomb, and with what they're offering, I don't see that happening.

That is the problem here.  Personally?  I'm still interested in the system.  I think it's amazing in terms of being the next handheld system of choice.  A clear step up from the Vita, visually.  But like the Vita...it's going to bomb everywhere but outside Japan.  Hell, it may not even do as well over there either.  It's too big.
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1133 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »

I've seen that even some heavily pro-Nintendo outlets like GameExplain are shitting all over the system's launch line-up.  It's pretty bad.

I can play the superior version of Zelda at launch, Xeno2 and Mario Odyssey are must-have system exclusives for me, and the price of the console isn't going to drop in a year.

I dunno, was a pretty easy decision for me.

Tasty

« Reply #1134 on: January 14, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »

Huh?  I thought it was confirmed that you could use an external HDD with the dock?  It has a USB 3.0 port in the back.

No. If you removed the system from the dock while it was running a game from an external drive you'd get yourself fucked pretty easily.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1135 on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »

I can play the superior version of Zelda at launch, Xeno2 and Mario Odyssey are must-have system exclusives for me, and the price of the console isn't going to drop in a year.

I dunno, was a pretty easy decision for me.

I edited my post to add more.  I mean, I am getting one at launch too -there's just enough for me to want this year- but you just said that you're getting one game to play and then are interested in a game launching in the fall and an RPG that may come out this year if you're lucky.  I also said "launch line-up" as in day one.  :P

I can see the price dropping by $50, within a year, if this is another 3DS situation and the sales end up being lackluster post-launch, though.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1136 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

No. If you removed the system from the dock while it was running a game from an external drive you'd get yourself fucked pretty easily.

Good point.  Whoever posted that on GAF was full of shit.  Silly me for believing it.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1137 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
Man this thing is just begging for a launch window WarioWare.

Well, launch window anything. But with all the gimmicks WarioWare on this thing would be so cool.

Mario Maker got all the praise but DIY was more fun to mess with. ...Except for the online part. :lol

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1138 on: January 14, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
I edited my post to add more.  I mean, I am getting one at launch too -there's just enough for me to want this year- but you just said that you're getting one game to play and then are interested in a game launching in the fall and an RPG that may come out this year if you're lucky.  I also said "launch line-up" as in day one.  :P

I can see the price dropping by $50, within a year, if this is another 3DS situation and the sales end up being lackluster post-launch, though.

Zelda, Xeno2, and Mario was enough to get me to buy it in general. Zelda was what is making me buy one at launch. I'll probably pick up more games along the way but at that point I'm not looking at those titles to justify a purchase, rather something to augment it.

I mean I'm not disagreeing with you guys but this is a Nintendo system. I buy it for Nintendo games and guess what, it has those. Dunno why everyone is so worked up about it.

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #1139 on: January 14, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Personally, I'd advise anyone interested in a Nintendo system to wait until the switch launch and pick up a used Wii U. Prices will drop like a rock from all the trades, it has a small but decent dedicated library, a an acceptable VC library, and is backwards compatible with disc Wii games (which are dirt cheap now). Come April or May, for the same $300 you'll be able to get a Wii U, Wii remote, and a handful of games. It just won't have that new console feel.