Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 946081 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1320 on: January 15, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »

BORK U ARE A TRUE GAMING BUCKAROO

PRAISE FROM THE MASTER!  :o  :bow SHO NUFF-SAMA :bow2

I'm going to buy one of these once I get my tax refund and turn this into the NuffSwitch MK.II  :playa

And you'll be getting one of the revised units with better quality components, too.  :)

Oh shit sounds like a PARTY

Everyone else is invited...just remember...PLAYAS ONLY

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1321 on: January 15, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
:playa :playa :playa :playa
ど助平

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1322 on: January 15, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm hoping I can get a Wii U cheap with all these people trading in for a Switch.
WDW

« Reply #1323 on: January 15, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »
Late to reply on this bit, but having streaming services like Netflix on this thing is totally important to it selling. Any hardware has the potential of being someone's gateway into something new. I didn't use any streaming devices or play online until I got a PS3, now its a normal thing I do. The camera and multimedia capabilities of the 3ds/2ds are trash, but tons of kids still use them for that purpose. Hell, remember how many people trashed the GameCube and Wii for not being able to play DvDs. Just because its a feature you don't care for doesn't mean it's not a value add-on as an entertainment device. specially one that's asking for $300 with no game included.

Also I'm not sure why Sunblade thinks Nintendo messaging for Switch is bad. I think it's amazing.

I'll try to keep it simple, but it boils down to two things.

1. A complete misunderstanding of why the Wii's marketing was so successful.

I'll start by linking to the most absolutely brilliant marketing campaign ever made: Wii would like to play.

If you watch that commercial. It sells a lot of very basic concepts that other new game franchises would later copy, It's selling the idea that it doesn't matter how young or old you are to enjoy the system. You could be a nice suburban family or someone way off in a rural area, you can all enjoy playing these games. Do you know how to punch? Bowl? Swing a bat? Then you already know how to play the games on our console. There's no extraneous setup presented, and the most complicated game shown is Metroid Prime, which is presented as simply "point to the screen and shoot". If there was one bit of advertisement that absolutely propelled Wii sales through the roof, it was this one.

Compare that to the Switch Preview trailer from a few months ago.

Right off the bat, this is a trailer that's presenting a ton of non-real world scenarios were people are actively taking their Switch to party settings, using it as part of e-Sports, taking it to basketball courts. It's only showing you urban teen and young adults making use of the system. It's presenting you with tons of different, complicated control options. It's showing games that are more complex than "thing you already know how to do". It's showing you all these different moveable and removeable parts and carts that you have to keep track of. It's appealing to core audiences, but unattractive for general audiences who aren't already into video games. The messaging is a complete failure in selling your system to more than just the same 2 people who bough a WiiU.

But what about 1 2 Switch, you might say?

1 2 Switch is a glorified pack-in game being sold for $60. It was promoted in the presentation as a "game" you dont need to use a TV for. And they're right. You don't need a Switch or Joy-cons to "play" any of the things they do in that trailer either.

It goes without mentioning, but there is another console in between the Switch and Wii that made this same mistake.

2. "A console that you can take with you" is a niche selling point, not a mainstream one.

Right off the bat, if your only interest in a Switch is its use as a home console, it's a losing proposition. It's $50 more expensive than its competition, it's weaker than its competition, has no pack-in game, has significantly more expensive accessories, has significantly less storage space, apparently doesn't have many if any of the media features the other consoles do, and doesn't benefit from a library of games released for it in the past 3 years. Even buying a WiiU is a better proposition right now than buying a Switch, as it will let you play Switch's most anticipated launch game and most of the games its getting ports of without having to wait for months. So we then have to look at its gimmick, it doubling as a portable system. But that already has problems, price non-withstanding.

Just like how "the war on the living room" was a thing, you can only take so many things with you out of the house comfortably. A smartphone is, by the very nature of how we live today, necessary. That alone will cover most of your on the go needs, playing games included. The Switch doesn't even carry over Streetpass, a 3DS feature that's a massive hit in Japan/parts of the Wold and incentived people to take their system with them wherever they went. Unless you really really really need to be playing a Switch game with you wherever you go, and most people have enough self-control to not need to, the Switch then becomes no different than a WiiU: a tablet you use around the house.

Going back to that Switch trailer, it presents a lot of very niche, very circumstantial scenarios that will rarely, if ever, actually happen. No, most people aren't going to take their switch with them on the plane: they'll either sleep, read a book, watch the in-flight movie or do literally anything that requires less setup than taking an entire console w/ joy-cons with you and taking care not to lose anything. Most people aren't going to try and play Switch multiplayer while riding a car, they'll either chat or use their phone. Two people playing a switch game while a crowd stares in awe behind them is a scenario that's never ever going to happen.

The Switch ain't even the first system to try and sell "take your console experiences on the go". One of them was a success that was still less popular than its competition more than two decades ago, the other failed to take off 3 years ago.

tl;dr cause I wrote more than I intended to

The Switch as a concept is a pretty hard sell, and its marketing isnt doing a good job of helping to sell it to more than just the already faithful. While I doubt this thing can sell worse than the WiiU did, Nintendo is, again, making a device that will always be competing for attention with another device you already or could potentially own, rather than doing something that stands out on its own. It's too weak to compete as a home console, but too expensive/cumbersone to replace other portable devices, even its very own predecessor, the 3DS, which Nintendo reportedly said is still getting support from them into 2017*. How does Nintendo intend to gain traction on its new hybrid portable device when it intends t continue supporting its cheaper, often bundled older brother with better portable features?

*So much for Nintendo consolidating all of its software development into one platform.  :ufup

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1324 on: January 15, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
So apparently the grip coming with the console can't charge the joy-cons. You'll have to throw another $30 to get one that does :lol

By the way, in hindsight this is hilarious.

Tasty

« Reply #1325 on: January 15, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »
Digital Foundry impressions!

Quote from: X-Factor;228407160
Digital Foundry's impressions on the Nintendo Switch:  (they played it at the London and German events respectively)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lyvgeJJw0

A very good  video by them, probably the best impressions I have seen or read so far.

Partial summary:  (for those that cannot watch the video right away)

- impressed with its industrial design and it is a step up over past Nintendo consoles
- However, they feel it is like the Wii U 2.0.   The visuals of most of the games they played at the event resemble "those of the Wii U generation".
- if the Switch was not a "tremendous portable" they think it would be a disaster to release it.   (they claim a lot of the games they played are lower than 1080p)
- their opinion, very little evolution in what the games are offering.
- Docked view performance is less impressive than they thought it would be:
  Claim ports of games with simplistic graphics like Bomberman and Disgaea 5 looked awful at the event  because they are less than 1080p and
Bomberman was also 30 FPS.

Other games:

- they also blasted  1-2 Switch.  It can be played without a screen or monitor.  They dubbed it "disposable entertainment" and inferior to
other minigame compilations.   They liked Nintendo Land on the Wii U,  but disliked 1-2 Switch and feel it should be bundled with the system instead of a separate $40.
They feel 1-2 Switch is a collection of very basic games that one would download for free from an app store.

- Zelda, Bomberman, and Skylanders are all 30 frames per second.  The rest of the games at the event were 60 frames per second docked or undocked (albeit they
admit the other games are not so impressive visually).

Positives:

- must perceive it from a handheld perspective.  Ultimately, the Switch is stunning as a handheld, but underwhelming if you only look at it as being a home console.
-  Zelda BotW runs at mostly a locked 30 FPS when undocked,  unlike what they played at E3 2016 on the Wii U.
Runs at 900p on the Switch (docked), 720p (undocked),  720p on Wii U.
- screen on the device a  720p IPS which is a big upgrade over the 3DS  resolution (400 x 240 screen) or the Wii U's gamepad screen (800 x 540)
- they enjoyed Arms and really like the art direction, and controls
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda BotW were very impressive undocked experiences for them

Concerns:

- Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are 720p native resolution and 60 FPS when docked.  They are concerned about how the undocked resolution would be like.
(undocked system runs at 40% of the GPU clocks according to them)
- the port of Skylanders is very blurry looking on the Switch.  (IMO): It may be a sign of the system's limitations or due to early or sloppy development .
- no anti-aliasing on Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe  (the Wii U versions of MK8 and the first Splatoon did not have anti-aliasing either)

Seems the Switch version of Breath of the Wild is far superior. Less stuttering than the Wii U version at E3, and 900p vs. 720p.

Nothing else here is really too surprising. Powerwise it's Wii U+ which is what we've been expecting since Zelda was announced for it.

I'd be surprised if Splatoon and Mario didn't get slight ugprades for the undocked version. Right now they're unoptimized and probably geared towards this event, where it'd be disappointing if the docked experience was the "lead version" and journalists could see slowdowns when they took it out of the dock.

Great to hear about the build quality and hardware design too. No more Fischer Price shit. :bow

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1326 on: January 15, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »
1-2 Switch.  It can be played without a screen or monitor.
:bow Nintendo revolutionizing videogaming yet again. :bow2

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1327 on: January 15, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »
Gamestop announced that they were allocated 500,000 units for launch and all of them have been reserved/pre-sold.  1.2 million games reserved/pre-sold as well.  Their waiting list for the second shipment is at 200,000 already.

I bet Zelda got a 1:1 attach rate.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1328 on: January 15, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »

They'll probably only print 100,000 copies of Zelda, and scalpers will sell it for $300 on ebay.
©@©™

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1329 on: January 15, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
1 2 Switch is $60?  :kobeyuck

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1330 on: January 15, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
realllly hope bad press makes them put 1 2 switch as a pack in
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #1331 on: January 15, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
Gamestop announced that they were allocated 500,000 units for launch and all of them have been reserved/pre-sold.  1.2 million games reserved/pre-sold as well.  Their waiting list for the second shipment is at 200,000 already.

500k for one retailer for one region sounds like really ample stock? I mean sure they've all been pre-sold but this is really encouraging for post-launch stock.

Wonder how much Amazon got.

Tasty

« Reply #1332 on: January 15, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »
Yo Andrex, remember when I told you I didn't like Galaxy 1(2 was dope though) as much as others and would love to see 3D Mario go more towards expanding upon what 64 did? Odyssey so far looks like exactly what I wanted. Real hyped for it. Could be my game of the year.

I'm up for anything at this point, especially after not getting a real 3D Mario on Wii U. Been too long since Galaxy 2.

That said my excitement is a little measured because of the seemingly-clashing art styles between worlds, and I'm more a fan of linear platforming experiences than open ones. We'll see. I'm still really excited, of course.

Also I love how Rare has beens spent a few years talking about that Yooka Laylee game when Nintendo out of nowhere reveal the exact game they were trying emulate but could never capture and it's coming this fall. Finally, a good 3D platformer is on the horizon. We're almost out of the bland NSMB age :aah

The more good platformers the merrier. :idont

Raist

« Reply #1333 on: January 15, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »

These are old WiiU preorder numbers.

Tasty

« Reply #1334 on: January 15, 2017, 11:37:36 PM »

I don't remember Wii U shortages so maybe that's a good sign? :P

Raist

« Reply #1335 on: January 16, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »

I don't remember Wii U shortages so maybe that's a good sign? :P

They had 500,000 pre-orders but at launch that turned into 320k sales. Same thing might happen with the Switch, who knows.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1336 on: January 16, 2017, 07:14:22 AM »
Mario Kart won't have any new tracks at launch

Typical Nintendo reselling same shit again for full price  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1337 on: January 16, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

It has all the DLC tracks included and a proper battle mode with 'new' stages.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1338 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap and Syberia 3 got announced.  Don't recall seeing those listed before.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1339 on: January 16, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »

It has all the DLC tracks included and a proper battle mode with 'new' stages.

so its just a port then like a goty version

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1340 on: January 16, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
...With a proper battle mode, yes.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1341 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »
So, I tuned into the presentation right as it was starting, but if you were waiting for it to load and noticed the DJ playing, it was none other than Ken Ishii! (also has a track in Rez), here's a part of his set, it's melodic/Detroit techno:

^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1342 on: January 16, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
wow

Tasty

« Reply #1343 on: January 16, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Battle Mode with new tracks is worth the price IMO.

But I like Battle Mode better than racing soooo

etiolate

« Reply #1344 on: January 16, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
Wait, there's going to be a Syberia 3?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1345 on: January 16, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
It was announced ages ago, but got lost in development hell for a while.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1346 on: January 16, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

Trigger warning for N-Stans.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1347 on: January 16, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334611

Switch Pro Controller

-Battery life is great but not 80 hours like the Wii U pro. Happy with battery life.

:goty2

Hopefully it's closer to 70 hours and not 20-30. This thing is $70 fucking dollars. I want at least an hour of damn battery life for every buck I have to pay.. :goty

-the free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it's yours to keep as long as you're subscribed.
-the free download a month is chosen by Nintendo because if they offered all VC games with online the player base would be split and you'd never find enough people for a match. Whereas with this method, everyone who's downloading the game is part of the same player pool.

So this might not suck as much? Maybe. Looks like they're really investing in adding online to all multiplayer VC games though, which is kinda exciting.

-Every unit of Wii U sold was at a loss.

:kobeyuck

-Switch price is setup for future price cuts that are still profitable. Ditto the expensive accessories.

I'll believe it when I see it. :badass

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1348 on: January 16, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
that thread got a title change, sounds like bad info

Tasty

« Reply #1349 on: January 16, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
Yeah 10k strikes again.

Only believable part is the worst (Pro Controller battery.) :goty

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1350 on: January 16, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »

Raist

Tasty

« Reply #1352 on: January 16, 2017, 07:54:15 PM »
I don't understand the "deadlock" term. Now his video just has two copyright hits against it...?

Raist

« Reply #1353 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »
It means that no one can get any money out of it. Because multiple copyright holders are trying to claim it.

Tasty

« Reply #1354 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
Aahhhhh OK. Haha.

I 100% agree with Sterling's video (aside from Mario Kart, battle mode makes that worth the price easily for me though YMMV), we just have different levels of outrage for Nintendo's cockups. And obviously he has to inflate his outrage cause that's his schtick and YouTube viewzzzz.

Netflix-Virtual Console has been the dream ever since this fucking slide at E3 2005:

Raist

« Reply #1355 on: January 16, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
I remember. Loads of people got their hype meter through the fucking roof at the thought of getting their favourite classic games back, without having to mess with emulators. Of course that didn't go anywhere. It's been 10 years, they could have built a gigantic library that would be compatible across all their future hardware. But no, because reasons.

Nintendo really are the kings of half assed ideas.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1356 on: January 16, 2017, 09:14:10 PM »
if nintendo put some real effort and marketing into making vc as awesome as everyone initially wanted it, they could have a bajillion more switch sales bc nostalgia nerds would flock to it.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1357 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
I remember. Loads of people got their hype meter through the fucking roof at the thought of getting their favourite classic games back, without having to mess with emulators. Of course that didn't go anywhere. It's been 10 years, they could have built a gigantic library that would be compatible across all their future hardware. But no, because reasons.

You really shouldn't blame Nintendo for this. Those games are licensed and wii's VC game list was amazing. Only a few publishers deal with it anymore. It's just an unfortunate fact of diminishing returns and more proof that relying on digital always being there as one of the stupidest things you can do. It's the equivalent of bitching at Netflix for having licenses that expire and then saying Netflix is the king of half assed ideas. It's digital. Things happen. A better criticism would be VC games not being transferable between systems. But saying Nintendo had a half assed idea and fucked up Wii's VC is pretty dumb given the game list, and historic moments like releasing previously unreleased Japanese only games like Sin and Punishment.

Then again, unless something is perfect, it's absolutely trash to gamers.

Complaining about the Wii's virtual console is one of dumbest things you could possibly bitch about.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:16:02 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

« Reply #1358 on: January 16, 2017, 10:19:18 PM »
You'd actually have a point if it didn't take Nintendo years to release their own, first party and published games onto the Wii Virtual console, instead opting to string along the drip feed to months, then years. And then when they released the WiiU, they did it again, but with even less games. And when they put the Virtual Console on the 3DS, they did it again and with less games than the WiiU. Want to play your Wii/WiiU VC games on 3DS? Tough luck, give us more money, You keep blaming digital games for things Nintendo themselves choose to do, not the fault of digital games as a format.

Did you know Nintendo delisted their own SNES DKC games from November 16, 2012 to February 26, 2015 on the Wii VC for absolutely no god damn reason? We still don't have an answer for why that even happened to this day.

I have plenty of reasons to complain about the Wii's VC, while also loving that it let me play a bunch of older games I would never have bought before. The way they treated it and strung along their own releases, let alone third parties, was absolutely infurating. It very quickly devolved from an amazing service to waiting for what Nintendo decided we could play from its library next for ages and ages. It's possible to both praise something and be critical of it at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:34:30 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1359 on: January 16, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »
Aahhhhh OK. Haha.

Jim doesn't care about getting money from the video; he gets his cash from Patreon and whatnot.  He found a way to stop Nintendo and others from copyright-claiming his videos by putting content from various sources in that makes a deadlock between multiple copyright holders and none of them can profit from it.  It's brilliant.  :lol  Angry Joe could benefit from doing something like this, but I guess he needs the money.

You'd actually have a point if it didn't take Nintendo years to release their own, first party and published games onto the Wii Virtual console, instead opting to string along the drip feed to months, then years. And then when they released the WiiU, they did it again, but with even less games.

Yup.  Sterling did a video on this recently, too.  They just recently out of the blue released Pokemon Snap for the Wii U.  WTF took them so long?
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1360 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »
The more I think about this system, the more it seems tailored for me and how I play.

-Lots of RPGs announced at the conference.
-I'll play portables but I'd vastly prefer to play on a TV. But getting to play an RPG at home and take it into the office/on trips for a bit of grinding is awesome.
-I don't play multiplayer much at all, so the steep cost of additional accessories won't bother me.
-I don't play online multi either, so I probably won't buy into the subscription.
-Very few non-indie western games being announced doesn't bother me since I'm not into them. And if there's one I really wanna play (like Doom or Witcher 3), I have a PS4...
^_^

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1361 on: January 16, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
You'd actually have a point if it didn't take Nintendo years to release their own, first party and published games onto the Wii Virtual console, instead opting to string along the drip feed to months, then years. And then when they released the WiiU, they did it again, but with even less games. And when they put the Virtual Console on the 3DS, they did it again and with less games than the WiiU. Want to play your Wii/WiiU VC games on 3DS? Tough luck, give us more money, You keep blaming digital games for things Nintendo themselves choose to do, not the fault of digital games as a format.

Did you know Nintendo delisted their own SNES DKC games from November 16, 2012 to February 26, 2015 on the Wii VC for absolutely no god damn reason? We still don't have an answer for why that even happened to this day.

I have plenty of reasons to complain about the Wii's VC, while also loving that it let me play a bunch of older games I would never have bought before. The way they treated it and strung along their own releases, let alone third parties, was absolutely infurating. It very quickly devolved from an amazing service to waiting for what Nintendo decided we could play from its library next for ages and ages. It's possible to both praise something and be critical of it at the same time.

Funnily enough i just watched Jim Sterling ripping them to fucking pieces about this same shit.

Aahhhhh OK. Haha.

Jim doesn't care about getting money from the video; he gets his cash from Patreon and whatnot.  He found a way to stop Nintendo and others from copyright-claiming his videos by putting content from various sources in that makes a deadlock between multiple copyright holders and none of them can profit from it.  It's brilliant.  :lol  Angry Joe could benefit from doing something like this, but I guess he needs the money.

Indeed

What made this one hilarious in particular is because Nintendo were the 2 copyright holders  :lol :lol :lol

also iirc its the reason you hear that "break those chains of love" song a bunch now in his videos.

etiolate

« Reply #1362 on: January 17, 2017, 03:54:23 AM »
Is it known if Rain Games is porting their Wii U version of World to the West over to Switch?

Raist

« Reply #1363 on: January 17, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »

You really shouldn't blame Nintendo for this. Those games are licensed and wii's VC game list was amazing. Only a few publishers deal with it anymore. It's just an unfortunate fact of diminishing returns and more proof that relying on digital always being there as one of the stupidest things you can do. It's the equivalent of bitching at Netflix for having licenses that expire and then saying Netflix is the king of half assed ideas. It's digital. Things happen. A better criticism would be VC games not being transferable between systems. But saying Nintendo had a half assed idea and fucked up Wii's VC is pretty dumb given the game list, and historic moments like releasing previously unreleased Japanese only games like Sin and Punishment.

Then again, unless something is perfect, it's absolutely trash to gamers.

Complaining about the Wii's virtual console is one of dumbest things you could possibly bitch about.

pleaseleavebritneynintendoalone.gif

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1364 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
decided I didn't want this thing and canceled my preorder
nat

Tasty

« Reply #1365 on: January 17, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
I also know of two people IRL who preordered and are thinking of cancelling/might have already cancelled.

Not me tho, I'm staying strong. #NintendoStrong

If everyone else cancels it'll work out for me cause Nintendo will have to scramble to win them back. :)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1366 on: January 17, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »
I'm kind of feeling like canceling right now, too- not because of the lack of titles at launch, but actually because there's just so much other stuff I want to play on other platforms and I can just get Zelda on Wii U.  But I'm also gonna be getting at least $700 in bonus cash from work right around that time, so it's not gonna be any problem blowing a chunk of it on a new console.  :doge
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1367 on: January 17, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
Personally, shit posting aside, I got burnt getting the early DS and burnt getting the early 3DS -- Nintendo has just become a "wait for the redesign" hardware company for me. I bet this will be totally worth picking up with the second iteration with a game bundle.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1368 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Personally, shit posting aside, I got burnt getting the early DS and burnt getting the early 3DS -- Nintendo has just become a "wait for the redesign" hardware company for me. I bet this will be totally worth picking up with the second iteration with a game bundle.

I got out of the DS game pretty fast- got it at launch, didn't care for pretty much anything, imported and played through Wario Ware that year, and then traded it towards a Japanese PSP all before the end of 2004.  Ended up getting one back when Castlevania came out.

But I was pretty happy with the 3DS.  Enough to play at launch and SSF4 3D Edition alone kept me busy for way too many hours.

Anyway, I don't see this thing getting redesigned like with the portables.  I do see a cheaper SKU sans-dock coming.  That just seems too obvious.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1369 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
Remember that time when Andrex was like "I'm not even a Nintendo stan anymore guys, I'm so muhtoor."  :-*
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1370 on: January 17, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »
Remember that time when Andrex was like "I'm not even a Nintendo stan anymore guys, I'm so muhtoor."  :-*

It's just the SonicNintendo cycle in full effect.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1371 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »

Actually that was more "I'm not even really into video games anymore." Thankfully the Switch sparked me back to life a little.

I've never shied away from (even mockingly) being called a Nintendo fan, cause I am and always will be.

What usually annoys more are the shitposts like "Nintendo stock falls, LOL ANDY" or "Watch Tasty somehow defend this." My literal reaction every time:

And I go back to playing the games I enjoy.

Tasty

« Reply #1372 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »
Also circling back to the Virtual Console discussion, I wouldn't be talking shit on it if the Wii U started with the Wii VC's first party catalogue. The upgrade fee is shitty but restarting the slow drip-feed is bar-none the shittiest. The assumption back in the day was that the weekly release of Wii ROMs was because they were digging the carts out of the closet, adding all the control info and manual data, and spit-shining them for that Nintendo Difference™.

Basically we all thought Nintendo were making 8K transfers from 35mm prints. Instead it's like they were going out of their way to delete the transfers as soon as they were done, and restarting the process every new batch of Blu-rays.

Himu

« Reply #1373 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
I agree with that.

On 3ds I wanted River City Ransom I think and it wasn't on there. It was ridiculous and this was in 2013 or 14. I had to wait years for RCR. Now Sony is copying them with the staggered release thing. I hate digital.
IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #1374 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1375 on: January 17, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »
You know...for a second there...I thought that was somehow the real game.  :lol
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1376 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
so did i :lol :lol :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1377 on: January 17, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »
You know...for a second there...I thought that was somehow the real game.  :lol

so did i :lol :lol :lol

:comeon

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1378 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »
Nintendo stocks are falling ?

:point

Lol Andy
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #1379 on: January 17, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »
Nintendo revealed a new thing and some people don't like it.

Your move, Andy-kun :smug

I don't care. I like it.