Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 946906 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1560 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1561 on: February 08, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
VR needs a decent graphics card no?  With nintendo I'm bettering you'd get two 240p screens an in inch from your eyes.

My Daydream View is pretty great.  :idont

Though that screen is 1080p and much higher PPI...

There's no reason they couldn't do a PSVR setup with an entire separate box with an additional GPU.

Tasty

« Reply #1562 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
1-2 Switch is like WarioWare with all the style and manic zaniness replaced with Ubisoft's shovelware aesthetic.

Maybe it'll work for them and sell well? :idont

(Probably not tho)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1563 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
VR needs a decent graphics card no?  With nintendo I'm bettering you'd get two 240p screens an in inch from your eyes.

There's no reason they couldn't do a PSVR setup with an entire separate box with an additional GPU.

It doesn't do any extra processing.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1564 on: February 08, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
PS4 doesn't have a high bandwith port that would allow to hook up an external GPU, and I'm pretty sure neither does the Switch.

Raist

« Reply #1565 on: February 08, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
PS4 doesn't have a high bandwith port that would allow to hook up an external GPU, and I'm pretty sure neither does the Switch.

Nothing does. Even thunderbolt is orders of magnitudes too slow.

Tasty

« Reply #1566 on: February 08, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
Then what the fuck is that giant-ass external box for? :yeshrug

Raist

« Reply #1567 on: February 08, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
Giant? It's like, 1/4th the size of the OG PS4.

It splits and de-warps the signal for TV display.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1568 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
I know this is going to get pounced on, but for real though...

who gives a shit about having a web browser?  There are literally four other devices in my reach at the moment that have a far better browser than whatever Nintendo would shit out on the Switch
püp

Tasty

« Reply #1569 on: February 08, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
Giant? It's like, 1/4th the size of the OG PS4.

It splits and de-warps the signal for TV display.

Yeah and the 360 power brick was 1/4 the size of that system or whatever. Still a giant extra dongle to shove somewhere next to your TV.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1570 on: February 08, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
I know this is going to get pounced on, but for real though...

who gives a shit about having a web browser?  There are literally four other devices in my reach at the moment that have a far better browser than whatever Nintendo would shit out on the Switch

We had this discussion already.

What is the point of having a tablet with a touch screen if it's not going to have anything that uses it?  Why are they leaving out basic features and applications that not only do their competition offer on their devices, but that Nintendo had on their previous devices? 

While I don't think in a million years they could cut into iPad sales, they could offer a low-cost alternative and have a nice little tablet that browses and streams in addition to being a console/portable gaming machine.

Let's not offer that, but let's bring back waggle instead, bros.  Party like it's 2005.

Oh wait...the Wii had a browser.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1571 on: February 08, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »
I know when I buy a Nintendo system it's for the browser.

Who needs games anyways.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is an experimental recursive double-troll.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1572 on: February 08, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Who needs games anyways.

Said everyone who got a Wii U.
ど助平

« Reply #1573 on: February 08, 2017, 12:56:41 PM »
I don't care if dedicated consoles don't have a browser and trying to navigate the web on a PSP and 3DS is a pain in the ass, but it wouldn't hurt for the Switch to have one if you can really take it with you on the go.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1574 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »
1. The main demographic for nintendo is kids
2. kids want a tablet
3. kids want youtube and shit
4. parents wont buy a 299 dollar tablet without youtube/netflix

it really is that simple

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1575 on: February 08, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »
I don't care if dedicated consoles don't have a browser and trying to navigate the web on a PSP and 3DS is a pain in the ass, but it wouldn't hurt for the Switch to have one if you can really take it with you on the go.

Right...it's portable and it's a full-on (small) tablet with a touch screen.  Having some basic tablet functionality would make all kinds of sense.  Others have said it may not have one because they are afraid it will lead to exploits being run.  And I say to that "come on, Nintendo...it's gonna happen anyway."  Especially with that micro SD card slot.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1576 on: February 08, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
When you're "on the go" with the Switch how often are you near a trusted wi-fi network though? :dunno

I mean it'd make a lot more sense if the Switch had 3G or something, but the two main use-cases are:

1. In the dock at home.
2. In the car/train/plane/etc.

When are you going to be using the web browser?

Netflix makes more sense (especially with offline Netflix now) and would ideally be a separate, optional app eventually.

Fifstar

« Reply #1577 on: February 08, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
1. The main demographic for nintendo is kids
2. kids want a tablet
3. kids want youtube and shit
4. parents wont buy a 299 dollar tablet without youtube/netflix

it really is that simple

So that's the reason the WiiU (which supported Netflix and a browser on the tablet) sold gangbusters with families, yes?

Everybody already has enough devices to use browsers and Netflix on and you can get solid tablets for much less than that.

It's too expensive, at least for smaller children period. A browser wouldn't change shit for that target group.
Gulp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1578 on: February 08, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »
Guys, who cares about crap like Netflix and a Browser that you already have on 15 different devices, Nintendo consoles are all about the games!

...and the Switch doesn't have any of those either.  :miyamoto
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1579 on: February 08, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
When you're "on the go" with the Switch how often are you near a trusted wi-fi network though? :dunno

What does that have to do with it though?  You could say that for any (wifi only) tablet.

I mean it'd make a lot more sense if the Switch had 3G or something, but the two main use-cases are:

1. In the dock at home.
2. In the car/train/plane/etc.

When are you going to be using the web browser?

:huh

...When it's not docked?  The whole part of the appeal here is that you can take the Switch with you anywhere and use it wherever.  People aren't just going to plop it in the dock at home and never use it anywhere away from their TV.  Even the commercials for it are like "USE IT IN BED!  ON THE TOILET!  BURNING YOUR FOOD IN THE KITCHEN!"
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1580 on: February 08, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
So that's the reason the WiiU (which supported Netflix and a browser on the tablet) sold gangbusters with families, yes?

The Wii U tablet had a non-HD screen with shitty 2004-era touch functionality, poor range away from the console, crappy battery life, and it was bulky and 'heavy' for what it was. 

Everybody already has enough devices to use browsers and Netflix on and you can get solid tablets for much less than that.

...Everybody already has enough devices to play games on, too. So what?  The point here is that with the right apps available, you have an all-in-one device on the cheap (for what it is).

It's too expensive, at least for smaller children period. A browser wouldn't change shit for that target group.

It's not too expensive versus an iPad.
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1581 on: February 08, 2017, 01:27:44 PM »

That's not good.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1582 on: February 08, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »

That's not good.

If I look at it as a console, it's too expensive.

If I look at it as a portable, it's priced well considering the tech and what it can do.

And if I look at the components, I have to wonder how much cheaper it would be without the dock and that hd rumble nonsense in the controllers.  I bet it could be priced $150, easily, without that stuff.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1583 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
Cant believe someone brought up the Wii U

As Bork says, this would have been better with no rumble and detachable controllers that no one is going to use and then sell for 150.

Fifstar

« Reply #1584 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »

The Wii U tablet had a non-HD screen with shitty 2004-era touch functionality, poor range away from the console, crappy battery life, and it was bulky and 'heavy' for what it was. 

...Everybody already has enough devices to play games on, too. So what?  The point here is that with the right apps available, you have an all-in-one device on the cheap (for what it is).

First of all, I'm not arguing that Netflix, a browser or other apps wouldn't nice to have. Netflix would actually be cool for me personally as I don't have a tablet and it would be an okay screen for watching movies on the train. just don't believe that the Switch missing those features will have a significant impact on its sales potential.

Regarding your answers:

1. You're right that the Switch would be better suited for those apps than the WiiU tablet. Still those capabilities where there and for kids and in lots of situations they were good enough. Didn't have impact on sales -> my general argument that those features aren't significant for sales.

2. Again, I don't believe it would lead to additional sales. The effect such additional features have diminishes greatly when those features are already avaible on other devices people already have. Remember that the Wii couldn't play DVD movies?

3. Ipad? Families that buy new Ipad's for their kids won't have a problem with buying an additional Switch for their kids either. My reference point here are tablets that cost 100$ or that come for free with your phone contract. Those are the devices that families buy for their kids. The switch is just to expensive to compete with such devices - Netflix or not.
Gulp

Tasty

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1586 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
I look up trophy guides on the Vita so I can tab over to it and check it while I'm playing. Of course, the Switch doesn't have achievements either.
©@©™

« Reply #1587 on: February 08, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
I saw someone bring up a good point about the lack of a web browser. Some Wifi hot spots force a browser screen popup to login to their service. I'm sure there is a workaround, but would Nintendo bother to do it?
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1588 on: February 08, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
http://kotaku.com/does-anyone-actually-use-the-internet-browser-on-their-1792130061

:dunno

I can see nobody using the browsers on their consoles.  The browsers on the Vita and 3DS aren't that great.

The Switch being a full-on tablet, however, means that a good browser would work well.  It's different than what's listed in that poll.

:idont

2. Again, I don't believe it would lead to additional sales. The effect such additional features have diminishes greatly when those features are already avaible on other devices people already have. Remember that the Wii couldn't play DVD movies?

This is pretty much where we disagree.  I think a Switch that had full-on tablet features could be something.  And I totally think they missed the boat by not having be Android-compatible.  But I can also see why they didn't do that for a multitude of reasons.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1589 on: February 08, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
Nintendo making an Android tablet would be a disaster. :lol

And yeah, this thing isn't losing sales because of not having a fuckin' browser lol.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1590 on: February 08, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
maybe not the browser but no youtube and netflix will cost it sales

doesnt matter if you have other devices that do it because when you are going somewhere with your kids you dont want 5000 devices and then end up giving them your phone

if you dont get this you are out of touch to the realities of parenting

Raist

« Reply #1591 on: February 08, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
The point is that once again Nintendo is lagging behind on features that are super common. And that were included on their previous platforms.
And that yes, you have on a vast majority of electronic devices these days. Which I don't think is a good defense, but makes it even worse.

The point is also that they're talking of a paid online service, and yet they're launching their console with half the basic stuff that one would expect for an online-capable console missing, being obnoxious, or "not ready yet". That doesn't sound extremely reassuring.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1592 on: February 08, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
I don't see a lack of browser or Netflix causing sales to drop by that much but that's because the Switch is just going to sell to the hardcore Nintendo faithful anyway.  Nice to see that Nintendo is as lazy as ever.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1593 on: February 08, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
The point is that once again Nintendo is lagging behind on features that are super common. And that were included on their previous platforms.
And that yes, you have on a vast majority of electronic devices these days. Which I don't think is a good defense, but makes it even worse.

The point is also that they're talking of a paid online service, and yet they're launching their console with half the basic stuff that one would expect for an online-capable console missing, being obnoxious, or "not ready yet". That doesn't sound extremely reassuring.

Yup.  No excuse not to have those features, period.
:rollsafe
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:20:04 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1594 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
I don't care about browsers.  It does exemplify Nintendo's sever lack of investment in online, especially in the gamecube and wii eras.  They will always be behind now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1595 on: February 09, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14544938/nintendo-switch-tablet-netflix-browser-opportunity
The Nintendo Switch is missing a golden tablet opportunity

Just put Netflix and a web browser on it

:rollsafe
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1596 on: February 09, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
Stupid mainstream media not appreciating nintendos games only purist approach

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1597 on: February 09, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1598 on: February 09, 2017, 02:21:54 PM »
They probably figure the early adopters are going to be focused on the system as a games machine. So they can have all the other mass marketable tablet features ready for the christmas holiday shopping season and keep the focus on gaming for now to appease the core audience of gamers. The people who are going to spend 300$ on a switch between now and november, are going to do so with or without netflix and a browser.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1599 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »
Can you imagine being at a party and someone breaks out a switch

Like would you ask him to leave? Or maybe use the screen to do drugs off of
dur

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1600 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »

You mean like a child's birthday party?
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1601 on: February 10, 2017, 05:05:07 AM »

You mean like a child's birthday party?

or brandnews

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1602 on: February 10, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
hey guis who wants to player mario kart with me on this 5 inch screen

guis
püp

Tasty

« Reply #1603 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »
hey guis who wants to player mario kart with me on this 5 inch screen

guis

8-player local multiplayer though :dunno

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1604 on: February 13, 2017, 06:21:22 PM »
This POS is about two weeks out and there's virtually nonexistent levels of hype for it.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1605 on: February 13, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »
It honestly would not surprise me if the PS4 is able to outsell the Switch in March, at least in America and Europe.
🍆🍆

bluemax

« Reply #1606 on: February 13, 2017, 11:57:45 PM »

I was at a party this weekend where someone busted out Drawful 2 via Jackbox.tv on the PS4, but that worked because it was on a big tv and people just had to draw pictures on their phones, which is easily understandable for a bunch of drunk people (also most of the people at this party work in games).

Tiny screen switch, not so much.

It honestly would not surprise me if the PS4 is able to outsell the Switch in March, at least in America and Europe.

If the NES classic mini wasn't supply constrained it would probably outsell the Switch.
NO

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1607 on: February 14, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »

If the NES classic mini wasn't supply constrained it would probably outsell the Switch.
:ohhh Maybe that's why it is!
Hi

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1608 on: February 14, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
One of the reasons I really liked the xbox and ps3 was it was almost like having a PC connected to my tv, I could watch nba on league pass, Netflix, yt etc and as I play less games it's a pretty important part of why I'd bother having a console connected to the tv. Sure im casual af, but I also casually dump money into games I will play half of or never start on the reg, if I have the console sitting there.
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1609 on: February 15, 2017, 11:52:17 PM »
I just realized the only two multiplayer games at launch are $60 versions of both Bomberman and Wii Sports.

:stahp Nintendo :stahp

Just Dance 2017 and 1,2 Switch, too!!!!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:goty2
[close]
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #1610 on: February 16, 2017, 12:12:29 AM »
It really doesn't feel like this thing is launching in 2.5 weeks. I can't wait for the launch day disaster on GAF.
NO

Raist

« Reply #1611 on: February 16, 2017, 02:41:10 AM »
It really doesn't feel like this thing is launching in 2.5 weeks. I can't wait for the launch day disaster on GAF.

But preorders

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1612 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:58 AM »
What "disaster" are you guys expecting?  People are going to be fapping all over Zelda and once that high fades, the realization that there's not much else available will set in.  That's about it.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1613 on: February 16, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »

But preorders

I remember the numerous articles written about how Wii U pre-orders exceeded the Wii by some exponential factor.  Yet on launch day every retailer had them readily available to buy.

I assume the pre-orders are actually units that retailers order in advance which is just standard and obvious retail practice.
🍆🍆

archie4208

« Reply #1614 on: February 16, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »

Raist

« Reply #1615 on: February 16, 2017, 04:37:46 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #1616 on: February 16, 2017, 11:51:50 PM »
What "disaster" are you guys expecting?  People are going to be fapping all over Zelda and once that high fades, the realization that there's not much else available will set in.  That's about it.

When people start turning it on and seeing how half assed everything about it is I guess. But yeah it feels a bit like the Wii, there's Zelda and nothing.
NO

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1617 on: February 17, 2017, 01:59:47 AM »
I dont think it feels like the Wii at all. The Wii for all it shit hardware was something fresh and promising and different.

This is more like, oh its a tablet with a tv out but without tablet apps?  :doge

Raist

« Reply #1618 on: February 17, 2017, 02:35:48 AM »
The whole concept is just weird. It seems like Nintendo went "well let's try the WiiU again, this time with no range limit of the controller. Oh and let's slap waggle controllers on. These worked great last time".

It's fairly striking that this thing looks exactly like the early WiiU prototype - a tablet with two Wii controllers attached to it.

I was really expecting them to actually integrate the console and handheld aspects, but having a "real" console, with a compatible handheld that would allow you to take games and saves on the go. Instead they made this bastard child of their previous consoles with this thing, and instead of being both a console and a handheld, it feels more like a handheld that you can use on your TV. I mean, that's all what the dock is.... a TV out. So it's not good as a console because it's incredibly limited, and not good as a handheld because it's way too large and has low battery capacity.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1619 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
Nintendo has good ideas but they are too cheap and lazy to execute these ideas competently.

Also the Switch is now two weeks out with no hype whatsoever.  Even the Zerudafags I know personally don't know about the Switch or don't care about the Switch.  This thing is going to collapse like a sack of bricks from day one.
🍆🍆