Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 947687 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1740 on: March 06, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »

glad I didn't keep my preorder.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #1741 on: March 06, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »
Re: The Neo-Geo Arcade Archives games.

I now have all five (KOF '98, Waku Waku 7, World Heroes Perfect, Shock Troopers, and Metal Slug 3) and definitely can confirm some image quality issues.  The image is darker than it should be and colors look washed out, no matter which screen setting you choose.  World Heroes is definitely the worst one here, with some blacks looking grey.  They really need to fix this ASAP.

On the plus side, all these games (and their options) run in English, and you can easily un-censor blood n' bounce.  These are strictly the arcade versions, however, not sure why they didn't include the home version options on games like KOF '98.

Kinda weird how they could mess up just throwing on an emulator.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1742 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:17 PM »

Getting Speccy vibes from those noises :lol

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1743 on: March 06, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
*autistic screeching*
©@©™

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #1744 on: March 06, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »

Some of that shit is just *boggle*

They couldn't put a fucking soft lining inside the dock?

They couldn't design the strap handles so it blocked you from putting them on the wrong way?

Must Nintendo always pinch their pennies so hard Lincoln screams?

Also what is up with the gigantic boil on that one dude's thumb

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1745 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
tryna charge me 550 for this here, same retailer selling ps4 slim for 350...

Also reports indicate the Wii U runs nu-Zelda smoother.

Looking forward to seeing some initial sales numbers.

:paul
◕‿◕

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1746 on: March 07, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »
the strap handles are designed to go on both ways so they can be used on either controller. the only way to get it wrong is if you are too distinguished mentally-challenged to understand that the + or - symbols are supposed to match up.

the rest of that video sucks though. glad i got a glass screen protector for mine now.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1747 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »
There's a common input lag when doing online battles in Super Bomberman R. It makes it unplayable, imo. I know they've addressed this and claim they're working on a fix, but it's not good at all because it's one of the VERY few games that allow you to play with friends right now. It sucks a lot because I only have two games, and can't play anything with friends until Mario Kart comes out.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1748 on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
OOH YEAH I KNOW I BOUGHT THAT SECONDHAND WIIU FOR A REASON

Keep this nonsense out of my house, I got all the machine I need to play Zelda

Call me when Mario is released and we will reconsider our position

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1749 on: March 08, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
I have no technical issues with the hardware and I personally don't know anyone with a problem.

If Nintendo sticks to their schedule the Switch will have Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 in 2017.

Each of those games individually are system sellers; all three in just the first year is insane.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1750 on: March 08, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
Xenoblade 2 is a system seller?
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1751 on: March 08, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »
it's the only reason i want the system, yes
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1752 on: March 08, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »

Sequel to my favorite RPG of the 2010's? Yup.
^_^

Fifstar

« Reply #1753 on: March 08, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350832

I guess parents will storm shops now to buy a switch for their small children  ;)

Gulp

Bebpo

« Reply #1754 on: March 08, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »
Any recommendations for a good case if you're using Switch as a portable?  Since the screen is face up, it's already collecting dust on the screen sitting next to my bed.  Need a case to keep it in when not using it.

Spent $500 on a Wii U for XBX, so yes.  I would not have bought a Switch at launch if XB2 wasn't coming.

But for me Takahashi is my favorite videogame writer/director of all time.  XBX was a mistep unfortunately, but his interviews right after release show he was aware of exactly what went wrong and I have faith XB2 will be back on track.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:05:42 PM by Bebpo »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1755 on: March 08, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
XBX was a misstep in many directions (ridiculous overcomplication of the systems, terrible UI design, lack of a focus on a quality story or character development) but what it did right, it did it spectacularly. One of the most captivating worlds to explore along with a (mostly) fantastic soundtrack.
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1756 on: March 08, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »
Yeah that seems to be the popular consensus on XBX, but if you ask me I'd say the game is maybe better then Xenoblade.

I loved all the systems. The game really made me sit down and figure it out. Tinkering around with all the classes and abilities was actually great and then managing them correctly with your party so you were in perfect synchronicity? That's just great JRPG stuff. And man does it get double interesting when mech customization happens. Yeah the battle system was fantastic and did a lot more then XB's pretty basic aggro stuff. Using abilities had a certain rhythm to it thanks to abilities leading into one another and being tied to buffs and whatnot. Since you really have no healer, correctly using them is pretty important.

I mean yeah the story and characters were rather lackluster, but I enjoyed the atypical low stakes and more everyday heroes approach. So many games are "epic" that I loose interests quickly. Here it was rather straightforward and a bit more routine. Nothing too intense.

And yeah exploring the world was amazing.

I'm sure XB2 will be good, but the first look at it inspires animu ideas.

Bebpo

« Reply #1757 on: March 08, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
Takahashi basically said XBX was a focus on making an open MMO world first, game/story second and that the next game will have much more story focus/meat on it.

The world was fantastic, I agree.  Gorgeous and great music.  Cool to explore....on foot.  The on foot battle system was also great and an improvement over Xenoblade's battle system.  But while mechs are cool in games and it was awesome to first start driving/flying, mechs basically made transitioning through the world a joke and the mech battle system was incredibly broken and sucked.  The sidequests were mostly bad MMO fetch questing with the occasional good one and the main story quests/progression were pretty bad.  Plus the whole lack of real developed characters and a plot.

If Takahashi & team make more cool open worlds, but this time add characters/plot and meaningful content (and balance the mechs more) then it'd be great.  I have a feeling XB2 is going back to semi-open world though in the XB style of linear world zones with big open maps so they can focus on storytelling and get the game out fast.  I've heard rumors that it may be a short <2 year development ~30-40 hour linear stopgap game they're doing for Switch's launch before getting back to a 3-4 year developement big open world game with XBX2.  That being said, even a smaller, shorter and more tight Xenoblade-style XB2 will be good as long as the story & characters are good.

Raist

« Reply #1758 on: March 09, 2017, 06:36:05 AM »
 :neo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1759 on: March 09, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
Good news on the NeoGeo games' image quality.  Hamster Co. is working on a fix that may be out this week!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1760 on: March 13, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1761 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
Vita does the same thing too, its distinguished mentally-challenged. How did they expect people to play and charge at the same time?

The 3DS is perfectly fine. The WiiU is perfectly fine.
fat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1762 on: March 13, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »
I played all worthwhile vita games on one charge

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1763 on: March 14, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
If playing it in tablet mode while charging is a big deal to you Hori sells a fold-able stand that does the trick: https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Playstand-Nintendo-Switch-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01N9RTMWS/

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1764 on: March 14, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »
The NeoGeo games have been patched!  Looking great now!
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1765 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:12 AM »

How do you download patches?  Does it automatically do it or do you need to delete and redownload the game?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1766 on: March 15, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »

How do you download patches?  Does it automatically do it or do you need to delete and redownload the game?

The updates downloaded automatically for me as soon as I turned the system on last night.  But you can also select the game and hit the plus button (IIRC) to get a menu that lets you check for game updates.
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #1767 on: March 15, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
Vita does the same thing too, its distinguished mentally-challenged. How did they expect people to play and charge at the same time?

The 3DS is perfectly fine. The WiiU is perfectly fine.

It's particularly dumb for the Switch as it's designed to be used on a table or whatever with a kickstand.

Bebpo

« Reply #1768 on: March 15, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »

The updates downloaded automatically for me as soon as I turned the system on last night.  But you can also select the game and hit the plus button (IIRC) to get a menu that lets you check for game updates.

Oh, cool.  Since it's Nintendo OS didn't know what to expect.  Tried it this morning before work and yeah, Metal Slug looks great now.  Glad these are fixed.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1769 on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
I held a co-worker's Switch today. It's quite a bit smaller than it I thought it would be.  :yeshrug
©ZH

Bebpo

« Reply #1770 on: March 16, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
I held a co-worker's Switch today. It's quite a bit smaller than it I thought it would be.  :yeshrug

Yeah, I was expecting something bulky and closer to the Wii U tablet so the size was a nice surprise.  It's still fairly portable.

Beezy

« Reply #1771 on: March 16, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »

Yeah, I was expecting something bulky so the size was a nice surprise.
:teehee

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1772 on: March 17, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »
 :beavis :woody :takei :letsfukk
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1773 on: March 22, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
Bomberman?

Puyo Puyo Tetris is also awesome.  U.S. version is out next month IIRC.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1774 on: March 25, 2017, 02:13:15 AM »
Bomberman?

Puyo Puyo Tetris is also awesome.  U.S. version is out next month IIRC.

Ą5000 for Tetris Puypuyo should be criminal.

Bebpo

« Reply #1775 on: March 25, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
Now that I finished Zelda I'm taking a look to see what games are coming (US or Japan) and it's crazy nuts how Nintendo platforms just get like no games.  Other than a port of Mario Kart (zzz) and a port of Lego City Undercover, a 3 Kingdoms game and Ultra SF4 (zzz), there's...nothing even announced outside 2018 games or Nov/Dec stuff like Mario/XB2. 

I'd kinda expect at least a shovelware game every 2-3 weeks released in Japan or something.  Just seems reaaaaaally dead for 2017.  While hardware-wise I'd like to take the Switch with me to Japan in May as opposed to 3ds, since Switch is the new hotness, unless I want to rebuy Disgaea 5 or I am Setsuna, there's gonna be nothing to play on it for the flight/trains -_-

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1776 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:44 AM »
This thing was shoved out the door half baked even after being delayed from a holiday launch. :doge
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1777 on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
Did you ever play Dragon Quest Heroes II?  Get that if not, although DQHI&II is getting localized and will be cheaper than the overpriced Japanese version.
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1778 on: March 26, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1781 on: March 27, 2017, 12:32:33 AM »
tall girl on the left is for it

bluemax

« Reply #1782 on: April 12, 2017, 07:11:06 PM »
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1783 on: April 12, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/23YKqHG.gif

SENRAN KAGURA coming to Switch. :bow Takaki-Sama hard at work :bow2
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1784 on: April 12, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »
Just as you'd expect from the master. :lawd
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1785 on: April 12, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
Nights Of Azure 2 is also getting a Switch release.  I wonder what else was in the J-direct not shown in the U.S.?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1786 on: April 12, 2017, 11:07:27 PM »
Kamiko is up on the Japanese E-Shop for 500 yen.  It runs in English.

Mr. Shifty is supposed to be up tomorrow.  Kind of gives off Hotline Miami vibes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:22:32 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #1787 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »
Is Kamiko some kind of Japanese Hyper Light Drifter Ripoff?
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1788 on: April 13, 2017, 12:44:53 AM »
Is Kamiko some kind of Japanese Hyper Light Drifter Ripoff?

I haven't played HLD yet.  Isn't it an action-RPG? 

Kamiko is a top-down arcade-style action game where you can run around and rack up combos to get SP while you search for keys and other items to progress through the level.  It's supposed be pretty short (seen some people say that they finished it in under an hour) and has three characters with different playstyles.  Seems to be made for repeated play-throughs to get better time.

There's also an option on the main menu that's unavailable at the start.  Not sure if anyone unlocked it yet.

Anyway, I think it's a fun little game for what is around five bucks.
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #1789 on: April 13, 2017, 12:49:54 AM »
HLD is an action adventure game, kinda Zeldaish. But the art style and combat is very very similar.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1790 on: April 21, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Konami has, amazingly, been working to fix Super Bomberman R.  It just got a patch yesterday that makes the game run at 60 FPS!  Feels much better now.

ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1791 on: April 21, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
Konami has, amazingly, been working to fix Super Bomberman R.  It just got a patch yesterday that makes the game run at 60 FPS!  Feels much better now.

Yeah just tried it out, great update! The big plusses for me are the easier difficulty for normal/easy, being able to manually change the camera, and most importantly 60fps.

Before this patch the game felt sluggish for such a simple game. With the patch it feels and plays much better so I'll probably spend a good amount of time with it. I never really go into Bomberman in the past but I'm enjoying this one!

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1792 on: April 25, 2017, 01:41:55 AM »
Did they fix the Bomberman multiplayer input lag?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1793 on: April 25, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
Puyo Puyo Tetris is out today and Mario Kart 8 is out later this week!

Not sure what this week's NeoGeo title is.

Did they fix the Bomberman multiplayer input lag?

Dunno.  Haven't tried it online yet.  Local is definitely better.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1794 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
Mario Kart is really nice.  Yup, it's the same game as before, only with some extra kart parts added.  Looks fantastic as a portable game and runs at a rock solid 60 FPS.

And REAL BATTLE MODE is back!  Worth it for this alone.

One thing to note- be sure to press + on the car selection screen.  Not just for the stats...but for extra options.  By default, a driving assist setting is on (you can tell it's enabled by a little antennae sticking out of the back of the vehicle) and will stop you from falling off tracks and stuff, but you don't have full control over the vehicle and apparently there's some sort of penalty online to compensate for this, which will allow expert players to pass by you pretty easily.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:27:05 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1795 on: April 28, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »
Mario Kart is really nice.  Yup, it's the same game as before, only with some extra kart parts added.  Looks fantastic as a portable game and runs at a rock solid 60 FPS.

One thing to note- be sure to press + on the car selection screen.  Not just for the stats...but for extra options.  By default, a driving assist setting is on (you can tell it's enabled by a little antennae sticking out of the back of the vehicle) and will stop you from falling off tracks and stuff, but you don't have full control over the vehicle and apparently there's some sort of penalty online to compensate for this, which will allow expert players to pass by you pretty easily.

WTF nintendo
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1796 on: April 28, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »

WTF nintendo

Does Luigi have what it takes to win a race in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe without doing anything at all? No items, no power sliding, and no input! Find out enable Smart Steering & Auto Acceleration and then put the controller down for good. IT GETS PRETTY INTENSE!
:mindblown

(And of course GAF loves this.)
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1797 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »
I just tried this in 200 CC.  It's kinda funny.  No way my kart was getting first place with auto-drive, though.  It just kind of putters along.  :lol

I can see how this would be good for younger kids and players who suck, but it's dumb that it's on by default.  Fortunately you can turn it off in-game as well.
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1798 on: April 28, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »

WTF nintendo

Does Luigi have what it takes to win a race in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe without doing anything at all? No items, no power sliding, and no input! Find out enable Smart Steering & Auto Acceleration and then put the controller down for good. IT GETS PRETTY INTENSE!
:mindblown

(And of course GAF loves this.)
Luigi is Racing a Kart Party 8 Deluxe :lol
Hi

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1799 on: April 28, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
Kids are seriously excited about Mario Kart 8 deluxe and really want to get a Switch but I'm like "We already have Zelda, and Mario Kat + all the DLC until the next Mario comes out there's really no point to even consider a switch."
que