Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 945931 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1800 on: April 28, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
Kids are seriously excited about Mario Kart 8 deluxe and really want to get a Switch but I'm like "We already have Zelda, and Mario Kat + all the DLC until the next Mario comes out there's really no point to even consider a switch."

Real, actual battle mode stages though
:lawd
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1801 on: May 03, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »
Mario kart is still great btw
püp

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1802 on: May 04, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »
Switch needs more games, WITHOUT A DOUBT, but this is a pretty great launch. Where it lacks in big new releases I get upgraded ports, exclusive indie games, and extremely well done retro ports.

With Arms and Splatoon 2 on the horizon along with Mario and Xenoblade for the Holidays, if it all holds together the Switch will have a pretty fantastic first year.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1803 on: May 04, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
Switch needs more games, WITHOUT A DOUBT, but this is a pretty great launch. Where it lacks in big new releases I get upgraded ports, exclusive indie games, and extremely well done retro ports.

With Arms and Splatoon 2 on the horizon along with Mario and Xenoblade for the Holidays, if it all holds together the Switch will have a pretty fantastic first year.

Can't complain too much about the games.  (System features and online functionality are another story.)  So far, I have:

Zelda BoTW
Super Bomberman R
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Dragon Quest Heroes I&II (J)
Just Dance 2017
Fast RMX
Kamiko
Mr. Shifty
Blaster Master Zero
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
ACA Fatal Fury
ACA KOF '98
ACA Samurai Shodown IV
ACA World Heroes Perfect
ACA Waku Waku 7
ACA Neo Turf Masters
ACA Blazing Star
ACA Metal Slug 3
ACA Shock Troopers

And yeah...that's a LOT of ports/multi-platform games.  I think Bomberman and Kamiko are the only true Switch-only games on that list.  But I'm enjoying the system a hell of lot more than I was with the PS4 after its launch.  Next up is Ultra SF2.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:46:53 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1804 on: May 04, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
Is Xenoblade out yet?

Niccas here acting enthusiastic about Mario Kart

When will Mario Kart get a form of single player progression? I mean cmon
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1805 on: May 08, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1806 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Mario Kart is really nice.  Yup, it's the same game as before, only with some extra kart parts added.  Looks fantastic as a portable game and runs at a rock solid 60 FPS.

And REAL BATTLE MODE is back!  Worth it for this alone.

One thing to note- be sure to press + on the car selection screen.  Not just for the stats...but for extra options.  By default, a driving assist setting is on (you can tell it's enabled by a little antennae sticking out of the back of the vehicle) and will stop you from falling off tracks and stuff, but you don't have full control over the vehicle and apparently there's some sort of penalty online to compensate for this, which will allow expert players to pass by you pretty easily.

WTF nintendo

Does Luigi have what it takes to win a race in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe without doing anything at all? No items, no power sliding, and no input! Find out enable Smart Steering & Auto Acceleration and then put the controller down for good. IT GETS PRETTY INTENSE!
:mindblown

(And of course GAF loves this.)

:dunno

You guys are wrong here. It won't win against decent human racers and it won't even qualify in anything about 50cc. This is to help really young kids or people who are new.

I've given it a try in my local MK8 sessions (3 Switches, 5 players) and it's definitely helped some of our less gaming-inclined friends.

Stay salty and maybe do some research next time before shitting on an optional game mode. :ufup

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure it should be a default though, but meh.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1807 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
Who is salty?  ???  Also what is wrong?  ???

Andrex back to argue for reasons.  :doge
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1808 on: May 08, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
Ugh god the gaming forum had been mostly tolerable too

At least I got to discuss Zelda without that crap
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1809 on: May 09, 2017, 09:13:28 AM »
Who is salty?  ???  Also what is wrong?  ???

Andrex back to argue for reasons.  :doge

Sorry, I was late to the party and it looked like you guys were down on an accessibility feature. My bad. :)

Ugh god the gaming forum had been mostly tolerable too

At least I got to discuss Zelda without that crap

Always a pleasure to rain on your parade. 8)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1810 on: May 09, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
Smart steering being on by default and not able to be turned off globally is distinguished mentally-challenged but the feature itself is good for folks with kids.

Tasty

« Reply #1811 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
Smart steering being on by default and not able to be turned off globally is distinguished mentally-challenged but the feature itself is good for folks with kids.

Agreed. Also for some reason Smart Steering keeps turning back on for me, not sure if I'm doing it or not yet...

Also speaking of MK8 Deluxe, it's the best overall Mario Kart game now, but as one of the weirdos that prefers battle mode it's still sort of lacking. It needs:

- More options. Why can't I set an arbitrary integer as the number of rounds? It goes from 4 to 24 in even increments, which means there's a good chance it'll end in a tie most of the time. Wtf?
- Ability to turn off friendly fire. This actually annoys me the most. :lol MKDS and Wii had no option to even turn friendly fire on when you were playing on teams, and it's clearly the superior way to play on teams. Items from your team got a shield around them colored to your team's color.
- Survival Mode for Balloon Battle! Like why isn't this even an option? Patch plz.
- Needs some incarnation of Block Fort (the SNES level is getting me by for now.) Also Twilight House and Funky Kong's Stadium.

Also, the online for this is a stepback from MK8 vanilla.

- Where did the YouTube uploads go? MK8 vanilla had it. Considering Nintendo's claiming every piece of footage you'd think they'd like the extra revenue. Maybe they're waiting for a system-wide update?
- The lack of voice chat is still pathetic, but even more so in 20-goddamn-17. Metroid Prime Hunters had it in 2006. Vanilla MK8 even had it! (In lobbies, but still.) Their explanation for why Splatoon didn't have it was BS but it still made sense in that kooky Nintendo way (use the pre-made messages!) But MK8 doesn't even have that. What's worse is the d-pad is just sitting there doing nothing. :lol They could at least do the Smash thing and map it to 4 messages or something. Conference calling my friend when we played a few days ago is just dumb.
- The inability to set your own engine class for online races is maddening. If you git gud enough you'll be playing 200cc 100% of the time in randoms, and that's clearly not how the game was meant to be played.

That said, the local multiplayer situation is the best MK has ever been. You literally get the best of both worlds: people with their own Switches can play it on their own systems, while two people can play it on a big screen in the same room. Up to 8 people! Crazy. This really shows off the Switch's local multiplayer potential IMO. Also, Renegade Roundup has been the big breakout for my group of friends. It's a lot of fun on both sides (but again, most of our matches end up in ties because of the asinine even integer round presets.)

PS- I really love the added "You sidelined <x>!" messages, it really helps make sense of the chaos.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1812 on: May 09, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
Yep, keeps turning on for me too. Just need to look at your kart and see if you have an antenna in the back to see if it's active.

Also I didn't realize YT stuff was removed. Looked for it a couple times when playing this weekend and thought I was just missing it. Having proper battle mode with proper courses again is awesome though. We've been having a ton of fun with the coin collection game (Coin Runner?)

I remember 200cc was in MK8 before but I didn't mess with it too much. Goddamn, it's actually challenging! I'll probably stick to 150cc when friends are over and playing but 200cc online is a blast!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1813 on: May 09, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
Yep, keeps turning on for me too. Just need to look at your kart and see if you have an antenna in the back to see if it's active.

Just press start (+) on the kart select screen and you'll see the options pop up to enable/disable it.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1814 on: May 09, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »

Agreed. Also for some reason Smart Steering keeps turning back on for me, not sure if I'm doing it or not yet...

Maybe the game is trying to tell you something.  :hitler
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1815 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »

Also I didn't realize YT stuff was removed. Looked for it a couple times when playing this weekend and thought I was just missing it. Having proper battle mode with proper courses again is awesome though. We've been having a ton of fun with the coin collection game (Coin Runner?)

I remember 200cc was in MK8 before but I didn't mess with it too much. Goddamn, it's actually challenging! I'll probably stick to 150cc when friends are over and playing but 200cc online is a blast!

I can't wrap my head around breaking while drifting. It's so unintuitive to me after years of muscle memory. :lol

I enjoyed Coin Runner in MK Wii. Shine Runner is fun, too.

The only odd duck out seems to be Bob-omb Blast, which is like half-Balloon Battle now just with all items being bombs.

Maybe the game is trying to tell you something.  :hitler

Fite me :maf

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1816 on: May 09, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
bob-omb blast in Double Dash was the fucking best
püp

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #1817 on: May 09, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »
Is the Battle Mode in Mario Kart 8 legit? Like there's nothing about it that makes it feel gimped, is there?
I was gonna wait til October/November to get a Switch, but if BM is god enough, I could dive in early. Assuming I can even find a damn Switch.

I was super let down my the game on Wii U since Battle Mode is really why I play the game. I go through the tracks once or twice, but I'm mainly there to drive around Block Fort and shoot the balloons off of people's go-karts.

Tasty

« Reply #1818 on: May 09, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
Is the Battle Mode in Mario Kart 8 legit? Like there's nothing about it that makes it feel gimped, is there?
I was gonna wait til October/November to get a Switch, but if BM is god enough, I could dive in early. Assuming I can even find a damn Switch.

I was super let down my the game on Wii U since Battle Mode is really why I play the game. I go through the tracks once or twice, but I'm mainly there to drive around Block Fort and shoot the balloons off of people's go-karts.

Battle Mode is legit. Various notes, though:

- Bob-Bomb Blast is different from Double Dash. You have five balloons to survive instead of four "stars"/points and you can hold up to ten bombs.
- Balloon Battle doesn't have a survival mode. You always start with five balloons and if you run out, your points are halved and you come back with three balloons. IMO Mario Kart DS had the best version of this, but MK8DX's version still pisses on MK Wii's and vanilla MK8's from a tall height (didn't play MK7 at all, or enough of 64 and DD to really compare + it's been too long.)
- Renegade Roundup, the only truly new mode, is legit and fun as fuck.
- Coin Runners and Shine Thief are much the same as their previous incarnations. Coin Runners is uncapped once more like MK Wii (MK7 had a ten-coin cap.)
- The roster of eight stages are fun and somewhat unique from each other. It's odd to me there's five new ones and three returning ones, when it would have been easier to do four and four, but I can't really complain about all-new content.
- Friendly fire is turned on for teams with no way to turn it off.
- There's no Block Fort. The new Battle Stadium and old "SNES Battle Course 1" sort of fill the gap but not really.

In all it's a massive fucking improvement on vanilla MK8, but may have a hard time standing up to your rose-colored memories of past Battle Modes.

tldr: :leon
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:56:32 PM by Tasty Meat »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1819 on: May 10, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
MK8:D is the best game in the franchise.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #1820 on: May 18, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
ARMS looks a lot better than I thought. Liking all the comparisons I'm seeing to Virtual-On :leon

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1821 on: May 18, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
ARMS is clearly a multiplayer-focused title.

I'm glad they're doing a testfire in a week so we can see if it's going to be worth buying.  I like the concept, but watched some game play videos and it looked pretty boring.  It's very possible that the guy playing didn't know what he was doing, however.
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1823 on: May 22, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
Nintaxdo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-22-extra-nintendo-switch-dock-costs-80

Eh, Nintendo sells an AC adapter by itself for like $30, don't they? 

I'd like to buy another dock, but I might as well just buy another AC and move the dock around instead.  You have to use the Switch AC or the dock won't work...so no idea if off-brand ACs work.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1825 on: May 24, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »
ULTRA Street Fighter II is out Friday.  Enjoying seeing all the reviews trashing it because of its price (deservedly so) but making little to no mention on the game play changes and zero commentary on the online play, which is not available yet.  The smarter folks are holding back their review scores until then, but way too many people are jumping the gun.  Forget it being good...scores may be too high if the net code sucks.  :lol

I'm still getting it and hoping it plays well online.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1826 on: May 24, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
Will be the first retail SF I buy. :)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1829 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
Street Fighter:

:pimp :pimp :pimp NUMBER ONE RANKED CHUN IN THE WORLD, BROS.  :pimp :pimp :pimp 

NUMBER SIX OVERALL IN THE WORLD  :o

Because there's barely anyone playing right now, lolol
[close]
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1830 on: May 25, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »
Capcom just announced Monster Hunter XX for Switch.  It's almost like that Street Fighter quote earlier was a troll attempt or something.

Guess it's gonna take over Japan now.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1831 on: May 26, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
Didn't get X/Gen cause it seemed like a spinoff, but will probably get XX when it comes State-side. Been too long since I've played MH on the big screen (3U... damn that was four years ago...)

Also, looks like I have an USFII buddy. :)

archie4208

« Reply #1832 on: May 26, 2017, 06:42:53 PM »
I didn't like MHX nearly as much as 4G.  Adept style was hilariously overpowered and the lack of G rank greatly hurt its replayability.

That said, I'm gonna buy the fuck out of MHXX because I'm a consumer whore.

Tasty

« Reply #1833 on: May 26, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »
Glad to know I didn't miss much by skipping Gen. I still need to finish up 4U, think I got a bit burned out after hundreds of hours of Tri and then 3U across both 3DS and Wii U.

MH on Switch is gonna be like 3U without having to buy two versions and manually sync saves. AKA the best shit ever. :hyper

Of course I'm waiting for the real meal, MH5. :lawd

archie4208

« Reply #1834 on: May 27, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »

Looks like an upscaled 3DS game alright.

Glad to know I didn't miss much by skipping Gen. I still need to finish up 4U, think I got a bit burned out after hundreds of hours of Tri and then 3U across both 3DS and Wii U.

MH on Switch is gonna be like 3U without having to buy two versions and manually sync saves. AKA the best shit ever. :hyper

Of course I'm waiting for the real meal, MH5. :lawd

I'd love to see Capcom swerve everyone and put MH5 on PS4.  :teehee

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1835 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
The ARMS testfire is this weekend.  Tried a session and it's...all right I guess.  Seems like there's some potential with 1v1 fights, but 3-4 players are matches are just too chaotic and random.  I especially hate how when I'm throwing someone, another player can come in and throw me right at this point and there's seemingly nothing I can do to get out of it.  So some matches just devolved into people throwing each other.  And you're just fucked if it ends up being a 2-on-1 match.  Might as well put the controller down.   :lol

So I dunno.  First impressions are very mixed on this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:24:03 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1836 on: May 27, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »

I'd love to see Capcom swerve everyone and put MH5 on PS4.  :teehee

Just read the rumor.

Lol who asked for a "streamlined" open-world MH? How ridiculous.

Tasty

« Reply #1837 on: May 27, 2017, 10:56:16 PM »
Also they need to fix the HUD in XX Switch. Like Jesus Capcom.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1838 on: May 28, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
Sitting on a copy of Zelda with no way to play it.  :'(

I hit a few TRU and Targets this weekend hoping to get lucky but no go.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:36:29 AM by Let's Cyber »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1839 on: June 01, 2017, 05:23:17 AM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1840 on: June 01, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
Jesus Christ
püp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1841 on: June 01, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
Wasn't one of their marketing blurbs about the'feature' that it would be simpler or something?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1842 on: June 01, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
BUT GUYS

THE HEADPHONE DONGLE THING

LOOK AT IT

IT'S SHAPED LIKE A SQUID

This is some special headset and people should probably just wait to see how this is supposed to work with a standard headset/mic first.
[close]
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1843 on: June 01, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
its a good thing I can't be assed to talk to other ninthings while playing vidya
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1844 on: June 01, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
Look at the bright side. Since the headphones go around the back of the head instead of over the top, people can where their fedora and the headset at the same time.  :rollsafe
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #1845 on: June 01, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
Will continue to just conference call people when playing Mario Kart.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1846 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:08 PM »

Isn't that what this is going to be doing anyway?  :P
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #1847 on: June 01, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Paid online is $20/year.  Doesn't start until 2018, and subscribers get a compilation of games instead of one a month.

Could be worse!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:16:09 PM by archie4208 »

Tasty

« Reply #1848 on: June 02, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »

Isn't that what this is going to be doing anyway?  :P

Pretty much.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1849 on: June 08, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero is up on the eShop for $20.  Downloading now.  Wish I knew it was coming to the Switch last year so I didn't buy it on PS4 and Vita, only to find that it didn't have cross-save (and initially, no PSTV support on Vita). 
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #1850 on: June 10, 2017, 08:48:56 PM »
45+ hours in MK8 DX already, most of it Battle Mode. :rejoice

Had a 1+ hour online sesh with my friend and his roommate just now. :lawd

Conference calling. :larry

I think I might just buy a headset for my phone or something and pretend Nintendo has real online, lol.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1851 on: June 11, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
Just plug some earbuds into your phone and use Discord

Tasty

« Reply #1852 on: June 11, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »
Just plug some earbuds into your phone and use Discord

:leon

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1853 on: June 15, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »
If the E3 announcements hold true this is the best first year for a console in a long fucking time. Switch delivers.

:rejoice

In other news I got a little wooden arcade cabinet for my Switch so I can pretend I'm playing awesome Neo Geo games in the world's tiniest arcade.

:expert

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1854 on: June 15, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
Just realized that a localized Dragon Quest Heroes I&II wasn't announced at E3.   :-\

In other news I got a little wooden arcade cabinet for my Switch so I can pretend I'm playing awesome Neo Geo games in the world's tiniest arcade.

:expert

Is it this one?  I just posted about it in the Random thread.  :lol
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1855 on: June 15, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
If the E3 announcements hold true this is the best first year for a console in a long fucking time. Switch delivers.

:rejoice

With the latter half of the Wii and the Wii U [around 2009-2010 up until this year], it really felt like Nintendo was just coasting. No real ambition, few standout titles, directionless hardware trajectory. But what I'm seeing now is that Nintendo seems to be getting back into the early-Wii model of taking some chances, putting out incredible games, better hold over what they want their hardware to do and be. I'm pretty happy with what Nintendo showed off at E3 and it was enough to convince me that I need to get a Switch sometime this year.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1856 on: June 15, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
same. i ofc grew up loving nintendo, but a lot of the last few years just felt like they were content to stop updating and iterating their classic franchises. botw and smo look as good as anything they put out back in the day and i'm excited to see what else they'll come up with.
pcp

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1857 on: June 15, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
ill probably look to get a switch after it's first price drop or new iteration
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1858 on: June 15, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »
They're doing a good job so far.  My biggest concern is the lack of third party support -and E3 did basically nothing to show that more devs are working on stuff- but even then, there's always something coming out, and the bigger releases are being spaced out so that there's something new pretty much every month. 

We also still know nothing about a virtual console and little about the online service.  But I guess that's OK?  It's not like this is the only show out there.  Nintendo doesn't care and releases directs whenever.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:32:33 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #1859 on: June 15, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »
Is it this one?  I just posted about it in the Random thread.  :lol
(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah!

Almost went with the red version since Neo Geo cabs have a ton of red but I stuck with black. Wish it had a proper top though, looks janky without it.