Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 947486 times)

zomgee

• We've *all*
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #1980 on: July 16, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
rub

Tasty

« Reply #1981 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
http://kotaku.com/japans-nintendo-switch-lines-are-hell-1796975143

This is insane. Reminds me of the DS's heyday when the Lite hit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1982 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
http://kotaku.com/japans-nintendo-switch-lines-are-hell-1796975143

This is insane. Reminds me of the DS's heyday when the Lite hit.

If were over there, I'd just buy a system online.  Either pay inflated prices or import one.  Crazy fuckers standing in line like that.  Where I used to live, I found that I could avoid the lines and just put my name down for stuff instead.  It's like nobody ever did this and preferred to queue up outside Yamada Denki or Joshin for hours on weekends.  :doge
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1983 on: July 19, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-19-nintendos-new-online-service-looks-like-it-could-be-every-bit-as-bad-as-you-feared

Ever since it was first announced that a majority of the Switch's online services would be delivered via a companion app - key features to online gaming such as voice chat - there have been some concerns about how exactly it'd all work. And I'm sorry to report that, right now, it's a convoluted mess.

Splatoon 2 is currently the only game to support the app, and here's how you go about setting up a room for you and your friends. First, you'll need to head to the Online Lounge in Splatoon 2's multiplayer area. From there, you'll be prompted to create a room, and you can push a notification out to your phone. It's on your phone - and only on your phone, it would seem - that you can then invite friends into a room.

It's something of a faff, and it doesn't look like it'll be worth it - at present, you can only take part in private battles, and the voice chat itself seems extremely limited. Unlike with Skype, if you flick aside to another app on your phone, you'll lose the ability to talk to your friend. So, if you need to head to an IM client as I did, to figure out with a friend exactly how to make sense of it all, you're fresh out of luck.

You'll also need your phone screen on for that voice chat to remain connected - meaning it guzzles battery in the process. It's an almost aggressively limited service, and this is before we get into the mess of cables you'll need if you're going to want to play online with headphones in the Switch's handheld mode - something which it would seem is only possible with a separate splitter available elsewhere.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1984 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
As if to add a dumpster fire on top of this train wreck, it doesn't even support MK8. :lol

Yeah, will keep conference calling with my one-ear headset kthx.

Can't wait until they start trying to charge for this shit.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1985 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
So, is Nintendo just incredibly incompetent when it comes to online multiplayer or are they really, super-dedicated to "We gotta protect the kids from Amir0x!!"?
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1986 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1987 on: July 19, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
"Japan doesn't care, so meh."

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1988 on: July 19, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
whats the added value of using the app vs just calling ?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1989 on: July 19, 2017, 04:44:38 PM »
jesus christ
püp

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1990 on: July 19, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Lol and u tards keep buying this trash
dur

Raist

« Reply #1991 on: July 19, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »
So, is Nintendo just incredibly incompetent when it comes to online multiplayer or are they really, super-dedicated to "We gotta protect the kids from Amir0x!!"?

1 for sure. 2, I don't think they actually really care all that much.

I can only think of two reasons otherwise:

- they're trying to offload as much think as they can to have the smallest costs on servers etc possible.
- it's a subtle "get used to cellphones brehs, soon it will be the only thing you'll need to play our games" hint.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1992 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »

I keep buying because their games are still great.  their business decisions are atrocious.
püp

Raist

« Reply #1993 on: July 19, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
More detailed explanations/impressions and a demo.

Can't make this shit up :rofl
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:24:49 PM by Raist »

Tasty

« Reply #1994 on: July 19, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »

Yeah online is always a key selling point for people buying Nintendo systems

Wait what

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1995 on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
"The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question."

~Reggie Fils-Aime, inventor of the Bigfoot Pizza
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1996 on: July 19, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »

Yeah online is always a key selling point for people buying Nintendo systems

Wait what

Yeah who plays multiplayer Nintendo games wait shit what
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1997 on: July 19, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
Local and online are the same thing wait what

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1998 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
We may never know, because Nintendo will never offer a non-dogshit online option

:jawalrus
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1999 on: July 19, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
Probably.

The Switch will still sell pretty well though, proving my initial point. :jawalrus

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2000 on: July 19, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
Your point... or PT Barnum's???

:jawalrus
yar

Tasty

« Reply #2001 on: July 19, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
Who? :jawalrus

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2002 on: July 19, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

I'm confused, are really they still pretending this is to protect kids?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2003 on: July 19, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-19-nintendos-new-online-service-looks-like-it-could-be-every-bit-as-bad-as-you-feared

Ever since it was first announced that a majority of the Switch's online services would be delivered via a companion app - key features to online gaming such as voice chat - there have been some concerns about how exactly it'd all work. And I'm sorry to report that, right now, it's a convoluted mess.

Splatoon 2 is currently the only game to support the app, and here's how you go about setting up a room for you and your friends. First, you'll need to head to the Online Lounge in Splatoon 2's multiplayer area. From there, you'll be prompted to create a room, and you can push a notification out to your phone. It's on your phone - and only on your phone, it would seem - that you can then invite friends into a room.

It's something of a faff, and it doesn't look like it'll be worth it - at present, you can only take part in private battles, and the voice chat itself seems extremely limited. Unlike with Skype, if you flick aside to another app on your phone, you'll lose the ability to talk to your friend. So, if you need to head to an IM client as I did, to figure out with a friend exactly how to make sense of it all, you're fresh out of luck.

You'll also need your phone screen on for that voice chat to remain connected - meaning it guzzles battery in the process. It's an almost aggressively limited service, and this is before we get into the mess of cables you'll need if you're going to want to play online with headphones in the Switch's handheld mode - something which it would seem is only possible with a separate splitter available elsewhere.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
"Japan doesn't care, so meh."

Basically, yeah.

Nintendo thinks that most multiplayer will happen from a local conglomeration of Switches connected via ad-hoc. People will game in-person, and voice chat will largely be heated shouting. Or polite bows. Or some combination of both. Nintendo doesn't and will not robustly support remote gaming with strangers because it hasn't become relevant in Japan.

What Nintendo doesn't want is ANY association with pedobears and any kind of negative press. You can bet money that they were trying to distance themselves from any of the scary shit that happened around Pokémon Go.

I dropped into this thread to also posit the possibility that they simply forgot to add it until it was too late to add it as part of the OS. I'm not joking. I mean, PS3 only supported voice chat on a per-game basis, and IIRC it was on the developer's head to put it in or not. It makes sense to me that Nintendo may have been leaning toward last-gen's solution until it proved untenable, and THIS is their panicked replacement.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2004 on: July 21, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2005 on: July 21, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
Splatoon 2:

Feels more like Splatoon 1.5, but it's just nice to have this game playable with a regular controller and not be restricted to having to play on that clunky Wii U gamepad mess. Like the first game (and the trial splatfest that was up last weekend), you're forced to go through a brief tutorial with gyro stuff on, but then can disable it in the options screen. I found the gyro controls more playable than the first game (because the Switch makes for a better 'controller' than the Wii U gamepad did), but I still immediately turned gyro off. Feels great to play it with standard controls using the pro controller.  Online matches ran great and I didn't experience any lag or problems with matches disconnecting.  Got into matches quicker than in the original, too.
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2006 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
Gonna pick this up tonight I think.
püp

Boredfrom

« Reply #2007 on: July 21, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »

I'm confused, are really they still pretending this is to protect kids?

Yeah, I tend to believe more in they not having a competent online team than protecting the kids.

Tasty

« Reply #2008 on: July 21, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
Not gonna lie, 80% of the reason I want Splatoon 2 is cause of the funky fresh outfits.

Someone get mac to exorcise this demon from me before I do something stupid.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2009 on: July 21, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Mac will only summon a more expensive one to replace it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2010 on: July 21, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
i bought splat2n :yeshrug
nat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2011 on: July 21, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
i bought splat2n :yeshrug

Do you wanna fug the choctopus?
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2012 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
..................................................................yes
nat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2013 on: July 21, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
 :takei

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2014 on: July 21, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
ど助平

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2015 on: July 21, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »
spla2n is gud
nat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #2016 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:42 PM »
give me all that rule34 spatoon goodness

Tasty

« Reply #2017 on: July 21, 2017, 11:45:21 PM »
give me all that rule34 spatoon goodness

#NoAmi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2018 on: July 22, 2017, 12:35:23 AM »
It's certainly fun but it feels very slightly iterative.  Also the single player is still stupid.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #2019 on: July 22, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »

Unlocked Gold Mario!! Which you can only do by getting 1st in every 200cc cup. :smug

200cc is far from conquered though, still have to triple star half of the cups. :goty2

The main menu is snazzied up now too, in classic MK fashion. Only main unlockables left are Gold Tires (staff ghosts) and Gold Glider (5000 coins.)

Why the fuck isn't there a Gold Bike tho? :nintendo

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2020 on: July 24, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »
spla2n is gud
it really is, like super fun. i'm having a blast with this game. i already can see myself getting anal and weird about the abilities on gear so i'm just gonna shy away from that for now and just get a few things that look cool.

is there a purpose to the story mode? it seems fun enough but just curious if you get anything from it

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2021 on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
I think you get some stuff but it's also a good way to get familiar with mechanics.
I'm trying to learn how to use the motion controls. For awhile I only used motion for the Y axis and sticks for X but I'm doing full motion now. I can see how people swear by it but it's difficult to get your brain on it.
nat

Tasty

« Reply #2022 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »

Yet another Wii U up-port. Didn't get the original so might snag this. Could be good for some office multiplayer.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2023 on: July 25, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »

Yet another Wii U up-port. Didn't get the original so might snag this. Could be good for some office multiplayer.

Needs to be a budget release, but won't be- it's $39.99 even though every other version of the game is $19.99 or less now.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2024 on: July 25, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
Lego Undercover was $60  :-X
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2025 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
Lego Undercover was $60  :-X

LOL, and that's well after it got re-released on the Wii U for $20.   :dizzy

Nintendo can get away with doing this with games like Mario Kart.  These other guys...no.  :P
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2026 on: July 25, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
Worst case just gotta wait til they drop too. :yeshrug

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2027 on: July 25, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
I have a growing list of games that I will buy on Switch once they are $15 or under lol

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #2028 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
I'd buy that if it was both recent Rayman games together

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2029 on: July 25, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
I'd buy that if it was both recent Rayman games together

It has all or most of the levels from Origins, IIRC.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2030 on: July 26, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
I've joined the Switch community.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2031 on: July 26, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
Quote from: Japanese Nintendo
ー Nintendo Co., Ltd. have announced that Nintendo Switch hardware sold a further 1.97 million units from April through June totaling 4.71 million sales. In addition, total worldwide sales as of 30 June are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 3.54 million, ARMS with 1.18 million and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  with 3.92 million.

ーNintendo 3DS hardware sold a further 0.95 million units from April through June totalling 67.08 million sales worldwide. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia sold under a million.

ー amiibo sold a further 2.9 million units (figure and card type) from April through June totalling 85.4 million with figure type amiibo 45.9 million and card type amiibo 39.5 million.

ー Finally, Famitsu also have Splatoon 2 at 670,955 in Japan for its first 3 days with an attachment rate of 55.68%. This number includes retail plus download cards but does NOT include eShop sales.

source: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/163440679724

Those Splat2n sales are impressive! :o

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2032 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »
So my Switch has the thing where one part of the screen is kinda popping out. This a big deal? Kinda dont want to deal with RMAing this thing but if it's a big problem I'll do it.
nat

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2033 on: July 26, 2017, 03:29:44 PM »
So my Switch has the thing where one part of the screen is kinda popping out. This a big deal? Kinda dont want to deal with RMAing this thing but if it's a big problem I'll do it.

Call their customer support to see what your options are. Nintendo handles RMAs super fast and if you're within warranty it's pretty hassle-free.

Tasty

« Reply #2034 on: July 26, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
I've joined the Switch community.

Just according to keikaku.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2035 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
Anyone here talk about how colossally awful the Nintendo Online App is?

It's fucking terrible, any sort of grouping up requires using two devices just to accept an invite. I can't put my phone to sleep or check notifications without the app cutting my mic out and throwing static at everyone else. Can't even play online in random battles with friends if I want to chat online.

I've played decade-old Nintendo DS games that feature better invites, lobby management, and voice chat functionality.

archnemesis

« Reply #2036 on: July 27, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
I downloaded the app, but after reading impressions online I decided to not even try it. These features should be built into the system.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2037 on: July 27, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »
I downloaded the app, but after reading impressions online I decided to not even try it. These features should be built into the system.

Same here.  Didn't bother with it.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2038 on: July 27, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
I sorta wish I could check it out just to see how it works, but it doesn't fucking have MK8 support. :maf

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2039 on: July 27, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
is nintendo making this bullshit in-house with people who never used the internet before?
pcp