Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5447633 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #31140 on: February 05, 2019, 10:24:11 PM »
It's entirely fitting that after the longest shutdown in us history, the SOTU address is interrupted by three USA chants and the happy birthday song
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #31141 on: February 05, 2019, 10:24:48 PM »
Mandark isn't watching. I brought it up because he's not watching and it might interest him.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31142 on: February 05, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »
Mandark, Trump just brought up antisemitism and the synagogue shooting. He's now showcasing a holocaust survivor.
(((trump)))

Himu

« Reply #31143 on: February 05, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »
It's entirely fitting that after the longest shutdown in us history, the SOTU address is interrupted by three USA chants and the happy birthday song

It's a very nationalistic and "patriotic" evening despite that embarrassment. Even from the Democrats.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #31144 on: February 05, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »
Mandark, Trump just brought up antisemitism and the synagogue shooting. He's now showcasing a holocaust survivor.
(((trump)))

good god
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31145 on: February 05, 2019, 10:29:36 PM »
I'm not watching either, anything that might interest me?!?!? Like is it over yet?

Himu

« Reply #31146 on: February 05, 2019, 10:30:58 PM »
It's over.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #31147 on: February 05, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »
not watching either, I'm boycotting by playing fortnite or something

benjipwns

« Reply #31149 on: February 05, 2019, 10:33:01 PM »
It's over.
wow, first I get an ERA thread locked, now I end the SOTU, my powers are becoming GREATER WITH EACH POST

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31150 on: February 05, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
Former independent Sen. Joe Lieberman said Monday that embattled Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam should not resign and there has been "a rush to judgment" on the controversy surrounding a recently resurfaced decades-old racist photo that has consumed the state for the past three days and led to calls for Northam's resignation from officials across the political spectrum.

When asked by CNN's Jim Sciutto on "Newsroom" if he believes Northam should resign, Lieberman said, "I don't today. I mean, I think there's a rush to judgment that is unfair to him."

"One, he says he wasn't in that picture. Two, I think we ought to fairly ask him, 'Did he know the picture was on his page of that yearbook?" And then three, really he ought to be judged in the context of his whole life," he said.
:rofl

Fuck Lieberman right in his traitor ear-holes.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #31151 on: February 05, 2019, 10:34:35 PM »
The SOTU is basically the only time he'll be 98% on script, so it was smart of his staff to slip that in there.

Imagine trying to get him to say something sensitive about antisemitism in any other scenario, where he feels free to ad-lib. Absolute best case scenario he lies about how popular he is among American Jews, says this is why it's important to build the wall and keep Muslims out, and talks about his "many great friends among the Jews, just beautiful people, so great with money."

Himu

« Reply #31152 on: February 05, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »
The SOTU is basically the only time he'll be 98% on script, so it was smart of his staff to slip that in there.

Imagine trying to get him to say something sensitive about antisemitism in any other scenario, where he feels free to ad-lib. Absolute best case scenario he lies about how popular he is among American Jews, says this is why it's important to build the wall and keep Muslims out, and talks about his "many great friends among the Jews, just beautiful people, so great with money."

Right. It was a political move.

Also, you forgot the extra beautiful! "Just beautiful, beautiful people." 

He used it to segue into WWII heroism in general. It was used to further push his nationalism. He used the holocaust survivors to show that it was America that saved the Jewish people, which he used to go further into the merits of warfare and America's strength.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #31153 on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:14 PM »
"Really, I am the greatest friend ever to the Jews. Many people are saying this more and more. So beautiful, just a wonderful people. We love the Jews, right folks? Also, many people do not know this, but Jane Seymour is one, she is a Jew. Jane Seymour, used to be absolutely stunning, a real 9. Sat next to her at the Met Gala in '83. Nothing happened, I was with Ivana at the time, but believe me folks, it could have. She was interested, let me tell you..."

benjipwns

« Reply #31154 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »
heh, ironically, it was Seymour's Protestant mother who was a POW during World War II...history is neat sometimes

I mean, probably not for Jane Seymour's mother while being in the POW camp, but, you know

Nola

« Reply #31155 on: February 05, 2019, 10:47:40 PM »
In a better world Stacey Abrams would be a governor on her way to the presidency...

benjipwns

« Reply #31156 on: February 05, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »
Stacey Abrams looks like she's in front of a green screen with the crowd just composited in

benjipwns

« Reply #31157 on: February 05, 2019, 10:49:58 PM »
remember when a few years ago, the criminal Governor of Virginia, rather than blackface or KKK hood wearing current Governor of Virginia, gave the response in the Virginia House or something and everybody did the standing and clapping horseshit

i liked that one for the stupidity

Himu

« Reply #31158 on: February 05, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
I noticed a lot of mixed Republican reactions when the non-violent offenders stuff popped up. Alice Walker stands up and gets an ovation and there's this white lady right behind her who looked absolutely pissed this was happening while not moving a finger. Good on them for passing the law but will it leader to further prison reform policy? How far are Republicans willing to go on that front? The crowd felt unauthentic and strained there but I'm probably reading too much into it.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #31159 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:45 PM »
I wouldn't read anything into the SOTU crowds ever, I remember both W. and Obama giving applause lines and the party not realizing it until he looked at them on purpose.

I think it was Clinton who gave one so long they showed members blatantly snoozing.

benjipwns

« Reply #31160 on: February 05, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »
heh, looked for past speech times and this story just filed:
President Trump’s State of the Union address Tuesday night, at 82 minutes in length, was the longest such speech since President Bill Clinton's 89-minute one in 2000 and the third-longest ever.

The near-record speech narrowly eclipsed last year's performance, which clocked in at over an hour and 20 minutes and had been the longest since Clinton's time.

The length of State of the Union addresses has crept up in recent years as presidents have felt compelled to touch on more topics and include call-outs to a wider variety of constituent groups. Neither Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, or George H.W. Bush had a single State of the Union that went over an hour. Bill Clinton bucked the trend, giving both the longest and second longest State of the Union addresses on record.

Both President George W. Bush and Obama continued the trend of longer speeches. Bush’s addresses averaged over 50 minutes, while the majority of Obama’s addresses were over an hour long. Before Clinton, the average State of the Union address was just over 40 minutes.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #31161 on: February 05, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
remember when a few years ago, the criminal Governor of Virginia, rather than blackface or KKK hood wearing current Governor of Virginia, gave the response in the Virginia House or something and everybody did the standing and clapping horseshit

i liked that one for the stupidity

Overturned on appeal!

(setting a precedent that makes it nigh impossible to convict public officials of corruption)

Himu

« Reply #31162 on: February 05, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
I wouldn't read anything into the SOTU crowds ever, I remember both W. and Obama giving applause lines and the party not realizing it until he looked at them on purpose.

I think it was Clinton who gave one so long they showed members blatantly snoozing.

Not to mention Nancy plays catcher. She nods, scratches her nose on what and what not to applause. Girl doing baseball signs outchea. The theater is too rich. :rejoice
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #31163 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
lmao Bill

Himu

« Reply #31164 on: February 05, 2019, 11:00:58 PM »
Trump's was like 1h30m I think. Ended at almost exactly 21:30. I remember last years was long af too.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #31165 on: February 05, 2019, 11:02:18 PM »
Carter be all like VOTE ME OUT OF OFFICE WILL YOU, WELL READ THIS

kingv

« Reply #31166 on: February 05, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
Trump will be 1:30 minutes but 4500 words. He talks amazingly slow when reading.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31167 on: February 05, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »

:maf

benjipwns

« Reply #31168 on: February 05, 2019, 11:07:47 PM »
Plus this is probably a factor in the time vs. the actual words (apologies for Daily Caller, was good enough source for the point I wanted to make):
President Donald Trump broke nearly all records for a modern State of the Union address, generating 115 rounds of applause as he addressed the nation for his first official review of his presidency, according to a Daily Caller News Foundation review.

Former President Barack Obama was interrupted 90 times and former President George W. Bush generated 80 applauses during their addresses to the nation, according to a SOTU applause reviews by New York Magazine and CNN.

Only former President Bill Clinton held the SOTU applause record, who produced 128 applause interruptions in his 2000 State of the Union speech.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31169 on: February 05, 2019, 11:10:18 PM »
"Really, I am the greatest friend ever to the Jews. Many people are saying this more and more. So beautiful, just a wonderful people. We love the Jews, right folks? Also, many people do not know this, but Jane Seymour is one, she is a Jew. Jane Seymour, used to be absolutely stunning, a real 9. Sat next to her at the Met Gala in '83. Nothing happened, I was with Ivana at the time, but believe me folks, it could have. She was interested, let me tell you..."

more like this:

benjipwns

« Reply #31170 on: February 05, 2019, 11:18:19 PM »
I was wondering if any President other than Lincoln had actually given a State of the Union where he suggested it wasn't strong, and figured maybe Hoover but nope... note: these used to be at the end of the year so 1929 is after the Depression has been going for a year and the Stock Market has imploded:
Quote from: Herbert Hoover, 1929
I wish to emphasize that during the past year the Nation has continued to grow in strength; our people have advanced in comfort; we have gained in knowledge; the education of youth has been more widely spread; moral and spiritual forces have been maintained; peace has become more assured. The problems with which we are confronted are the problems of growth and of progress
Quote from: Herbert Hoover, 1930
Substantial progress has been made during the year in national peace and security; the fundamental strength of the Nation's economic life is unimpaired; education and scientific discovery have made advances; our country is more alive to its problems of moral and spiritual welfare.

Finally in 1931, he grants some ground:
Quote from: Herbert Hoover, 1931
The chief influence affecting the state of the Union during the past year has been the continued world-wide economic disturbance. Our national concern has been to meet the emergencies it has created for us and to lay the foundations for recovery.

If we lift our vision beyond these immediate emergencies we find fundamental national gains even amid depression. In meeting the problems of this difficult period, we have witnessed a remarkable development of the sense of cooperation in the community. For the first time in the history of our major economic depressions there has been a notable absence of public disorders and industrial conflict. Above all there is an enlargement of social and spiritual responsibility among the people. The strains and stresses upon business have resulted in closer application, in saner policies, and in better methods. Public improvements have been carried out on a larger scale than even in normal times. The country is richer in physical property, in newly discovered resources, and in productive capacity than ever before. There has been constant gain in knowledge and education; there has been continuous advance in science and invention; there has been distinct gain in public health. Business depressions have been recurrent in the life of our country and are but transitory. The Nation has emerged from each of them with increased strength and virility because of the enlightenment they have brought, the readjustments and the larger understanding of the realities and obligations of life and work which come from them.

And just to complete his set:
Quote from: Herbert Hoover, 1932
Our country is at peace. Our national defense has been maintained at a high state of effectiveness. All of the executive departments of the Government have been conducted during the year with a high devotion to public interest. There has been a far larger degree of freedom from industrial conflict than hitherto known. Education and science have made further advances. The public health is to-day at its highest known level. While we have recently engaged in the aggressive contest of a national election, its very tranquillity and the acceptance of its results furnish abundant proof of the strength of our institutions.

In the face of widespread hardship our people have demonstrated daily a magnificent sense of humanity, of individual and community responsibility for the welfare of the less fortunate. They have grown in their conceptions and organization for cooperative action for the common welfare.

benjipwns

« Reply #31171 on: February 05, 2019, 11:26:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1092998324020563968

sure, why not...Sheldon Whitehouse should run just to make it the entire Judiciary Committee outside of Feinstein and Durbin

actually hell, Durbin should run too

benjipwns

« Reply #31172 on: February 05, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »
lol completely forgot Pat Leahy, Chris Coons and Mazie Hirono

last two can run too, Leahy's too busy starring in Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad 2 and The Batman

Himu

« Reply #31173 on: February 05, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »
I can't keep track of the current amount of presidential candidates.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #31174 on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »
No one can, there's already 518 candidates registered with the FEC. Thankfully, the media will only cover about ten of those plus a few who have yet to declare. Preventing democracy from dying in darkness. :american

shosta

« Reply #31175 on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:46 PM »
Does anyone know when John McAfee's state of the union response is? It's almost midnight in the Bahamas.
每天生气

benjipwns

benjipwns

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #31179 on: February 05, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
"Extralegal, it's like legal but even more."

shosta

« Reply #31180 on: February 05, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »
The drink contains vodka, mezcal, scotch, Kahlua and blue curacao, and he insists you mix them in a mason jar.
kara, help
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #31181 on: February 05, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »
oh god Rick Perry was the designed survivor

:whew another close one

benjipwns

« Reply #31182 on: February 05, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
CNN reporting on FOX's coverage of THREE NEW caravans and thus Trump's discussion of them is our brave new world: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/media/fox-news-caravan-president-trump/ :american
It sure looked dramatic. Live pictures of chain-link fences and Mexican police units and ambulances filled the "Fox & Friends" screen. Jenkins reported that it was a "show of force" by the Mexican authorities.

Besides that, there wasn't much to show. But the banners on screen read "THOUSANDS OF MIGRANTS ARRIVE AT U.S. BORDER," "MIGRANTS CONSIDER ILLEGALLY CROSSING INTO TX" and "POLICE IN RIOT GEAR ON THE BORDER."

And, of course, there were banners like "TRUMP REMAINS FIRM IN DEMAND FOR BORDER WALL."

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

shosta

« Reply #31185 on: February 06, 2019, 01:19:19 AM »
Oh well, guess I'm fully committed to Bernie Sanders now :american
每天生气

shosta

每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #31187 on: February 06, 2019, 01:38:36 AM »
I think they actually don't have the President wear a seat belt inside the limo. I remember Obama and Reagan both were "caught" not having one on and it was more or less said that's intentional. Maybe that's just a cover story.

Secret Service has a lot of paranoid rules that are probably self-defeating and unnecessary. And I mean that from a "there's good reason for them to exist" point of view not a "we should abolish it" one.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31188 on: February 06, 2019, 03:41:15 AM »
Wow I was wrong

Absolute B E A S T M O D E
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1093024153408557056
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #31190 on: February 06, 2019, 07:22:31 AM »
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1092893482010791937

Dr. William Elwood worked with others on the layout for Eastern Virginia Medical School’s 1984 yearbook — the same yearbook that featured a photo of a person in blackface and another person in a Ku Klux Klan outfit on Ralph Northam’s personal page.

Elwood said photos for personal pages “were chosen by the individual student.”

“They were submitted in a sealed envelope with their name on it to the yearbook staff, to be put on their page,” Elwood told CNN.

“The pictures for the personal ones were not just chosen at random from other pictures that might have been available at that time.”

benjipwns

« Reply #31191 on: February 06, 2019, 07:25:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/BenHowe/status/1092980283622768640

r.i.p. in pieces Sandy's career, never going to live this down

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #31192 on: February 06, 2019, 07:27:41 AM »
Plot twist: the Governor dressed in black face during the 80s to help black people escape from Liam Neeson’s murderous rage.

A real American hero :salute
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #31193 on: February 06, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »
wrong decade, Neeson had gotten it out of his system by the end of the 1970s as Joe Molotov confirmed

benjipwns

« Reply #31194 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:44 AM »
FACT CHECK:

what do you mean? why would you think this is fake?

agrajag

« Reply #31195 on: February 06, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »
Bernie might as well invite Neeson to his white supremacy power hour and murder some blacks on facebook live. That's about as bad as doing a SOTU rebuttal during Black History Month, the nerve of that guy.

kingv

« Reply #31196 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
Sanders virtually told old girl to go back to the plantation.

He called her a mammy on live tv.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #31197 on: February 06, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
Will we get another round of republican interviews whining that the dems didn't stand and clap when they did?
©ZH

kingv

« Reply #31198 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »
I’ll never forgive Hillary from breaking all Of these middle aged white women’s brains.

Amy sidling is my favorite new woke. She supported McCain in 2008 and fucking Sarah Palin in 2012.

Himu

« Reply #31199 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Will we get another round of republican interviews whining that the dems didn't stand and clap when they did?

Republicans are using “democrats support infantcide by not clapping” already on twitter
IYKYK