Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5448402 times)

kingv

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #33000 on: March 21, 2019, 12:15:23 AM »
John podhoretz deletes his account all the time.

It’s not even the first time in 2019.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33001 on: March 21, 2019, 12:19:18 AM »
Look at this snowflake:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107817082723450880

(Image removed from quote.)

mrw I spend decades becoming a federal judge, just in time for memes to start being introduced as evidence in court cases

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:48:31 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33002 on: March 21, 2019, 01:30:28 AM »

:lol annihilated

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #33003 on: March 21, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »
Biden apparently going to announce his run with Stacey Abrams already picked as a VP candidate
püp

Nola

« Reply #33004 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:13 AM »
Bring your black friend for street cred, classic white guy move  :respect

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #33005 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
It worked for Snow  :doge

Margs

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33006 on: March 21, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
Holy shit, look at the political climate now. Ilhan's contribution:
- Bernie Sanders not attending AIPAC
- Kamala Harris not attending AIPAC
- Elizabeth Warren not attending AIPAC
- Trump recognizes Golan Heights as a part of Israel

Goes to show what standing for what you believe in can do.
每天生气

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #33007 on: March 21, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »

Dont forget

-Kirblar banned

Ilhan is life
:O

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33008 on: March 21, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
have they ever attended or even been invited before?

james

« Reply #33009 on: March 21, 2019, 03:15:26 PM »
Bernie famously skipped AIPAC conferences during the run up to the 2016 election IIRC

Thats why Bernie is the man

shosta

« Reply #33010 on: March 21, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
He tried to address it remotely and they wouldn't let him.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #33011 on: March 21, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
He tried to address it remotely and they wouldn't let him.

who is they?

filler, I leave this one to you man

kingv

« Reply #33012 on: March 21, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
John Delaney looks like a bald will Ferrell.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33013 on: March 21, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »

:tocry :rejoice

Occam

« Reply #33014 on: March 21, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »

:lol annihilated

Ideologically, the guy is basically a Pre-Trump Republican, including the typical dishonesty. Screw him.
I hope voters are able to see through "Beto's" bullshit platitudes. This man isn't fit to be president of anything.
Ah, who am I kidding, the average voter is a moron with goldfish memory.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:17:27 PM by Occam »

Nola

« Reply #33015 on: March 21, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
Pre-Trump Republicans were basically ultra hawkish neocons and corporatists with some level of Mike Pence on social issues.

I don't think a guy that is promoting Medicare for America fits that archetype.

Though it is probably a good thing that the conversation has so moved to the left on key issues that a guy that would of been eviscerated for his platform being radically left in 2008 is considered the DINO in 2019. Bernie stays winning even when he didn't.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:22:38 PM by Nola »

benjipwns

« Reply #33016 on: March 21, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »
Leon Trotsky was basically a Republican if you think about it.

shosta

« Reply #33017 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
You could probably make the case that he was a neocon, and you wouldn't even have to try that hard
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33018 on: March 21, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »
Leon Trotsky was basically a Republican if you think about it.

You are pitiful isolated individuals; you are bankrupts; your role is played out. Go where you belong from now on - into the dustbin of history! Sad!
~Donald Trump, CPAC 2016
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #33019 on: March 21, 2019, 11:16:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/timothypmurphy/status/1108707640727781376

Here at Slate, we have all “been there,” looking at the computer on Friday afternoon at the end of a week in which we begged off of regular posting duties to “finally make some progress” on a big feature, wondering how it is possible that we’ve added only 247 words to our Google Doc over the course of five days, four of those words being “LEAD/THESIS GOES HERE.”

In the end, though, we’ve all managed to power through and finish the job, and with that in mind, we put together some advice for Mueller as he races to file a draft to his impatient boss and/or makes a last desperate attempt to redeem the rule of law and the viability of democracy in the United States.

Our pointers:

• Skip the lede and come back to it once you have a better sense of where the rest of the draft is going.

• Try talking to a friend or deputy attorney general over a beer about what you’ve been working on—explaining your project from the start will clarify your thoughts.

• See if you can capture your idea in a single sentence. Honing an “elevator pitch” might seem reductive, but even complicated information is best presented in the context of simple, high-level themes. (For your purposes, we might suggest something like “The pee tape is real.”)

• Close your Twitter tab.

• Close Slack.

• Close the Slack and Twitter apps on your phone.

• Stop obsessing over individual turns of phrase. Your editor will tell you if “More like no no collusion” scans or not.

• If you can’t figure out what order to put everything in, just go chronological.

• If possible, close the Twitter app on the president’s phone as well.

• If you’re not sure whether to keep something or cut it, ask yourself: Does this develop the larger themes of the piece? Does it tell the reader something she didn’t already know? Does it help avert a constitutional crisis?

Above all, just remember: You can do this. You did the research; you have the authority; you’ve done it before. You’re Robert Mueller!

benjipwns

« Reply #33020 on: March 21, 2019, 11:20:20 PM »
https://www.thewrap.com/reporter-laura-loomer-live-action-lose-job-resign-cpac-oliver-darcy/
Zachary Petrizzo, a writer for the pro-life media organization Live Action, says he was forced to resign after he tweeted about right-wing activist Laura Loomer “verbally tormenting” CNN reporter Oliver Darcy in the media room at this month’s Conservative Political Action Conference — an incident that led to the revocation of her press credentials.

The 20-year-old reporter, who worked as a paid intern for the organization for about a month, also received legal threats directly from Loomer over his tweeted account of the incident between Loomer and Darcy, which he later took down.

Petrizzo said his bosses at Live Action were pressured by Loomer into cutting him loose, adding that it all went down in a March 7 phone call with Live Action spokeswoman Alison Centofante and company Chief Operating Officer Josef Lipp.

“In a phone call with Live Action, both Alison, Josef and I spoke about the allegations made against me from Ms. Loomer. The parties agreed to allow for my resignation,” he told TheWrap. “Live Action clearly caved to the demands of a far-right radical, Ms. Loomer, and did not encourage me to work through the allegations or dismiss them as what they are, frivolous and false.” He was out the same day.

While on the call, Petrizzo said Lipp urged him to apologize to Loomer while Centofante offered her “thoughts and prayers” to him. After Petrizzo told them of the legal threats leveled against him by Loomer, he was told the issue was not their problem and that he was on his own.

“Yes, I did threaten legal action against him because he’s a punk who ought to learn a hard lesson,” Loomer told TheWrap. She denied that she had actively engaged in a campaign to get Petrizzo fired but did say she took the matter up privately with Rose over Instagram messenger.
lmao thoughts and prayers

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #33022 on: March 22, 2019, 01:58:31 AM »
Pre-Trump Republicans were basically ultra hawkish neocons and corporatists with some level of Mike Pence on social issues.

Though it is probably a good thing that the conversation has so moved to the left on key issues that a guy that would of been eviscerated for his platform being radically left in 2008 is considered the DINO in 2019. Bernie stays winning even when he didn't.

Worth pointing out that Medicare for America is a dumb idea

Who are these people that love their employer plans?

The whole idea seems to be that they don’t want to take away peoples employer plans... but employer plans are shit. Almost across the board, standard Medicare is about 10x better than what 90% of Americans have. It has a $1000 deductible and no copay past that. And the Medicare negotiated rates you pay for a service are like 1/4 of what most private insurers have negotiated.

Nola

« Reply #33023 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

The whole idea seems to be that they don’t want to take away peoples employer plans... but employer plans are shit. Almost across the board, standard Medicare is about 10x better than what 90% of Americans have. It has a $1000 deductible and no copay past that. And the Medicare negotiated rates you pay for a service are like 1/4 of what most private insurers have negotiated.

Worth pointing out that while people's feelings are mixed on their employer healthcare they start to really shift their thoughts on single-payer when you talk about getting rid of it). And that is before we get the death panel treatment during round 2.

And it's anything but a dumb idea IMO. Frankly, it is the sort of technocratic idea that Bernie's was/is probably going to end up as when all is said and done. It achieves UHC in the short run by vastly expanding and consolidating Medicare and likely bleeds out most of the private market except as a smaller supplemental market over the long run with much less up front disruption in it's transition. Considering any reform is going to have to once again go through the Joe Manchin's and Jon tester's of the world on top of all the billion dollar interest groups that will fight tooth and nail from all directions at a single payer proposal of Bernie's stripe. Frankly unlike in the past the Center for American Progress put out a much improved vision than what got us the ACA and we all have Bernie to thank for pulling the center to where it needs to be. The question has and will always be though if lawmakers don't make the same stupid mistakes in their tradeoffs and assumptions like they did with the ACA. Which turned the chance to have UHC into the mixed bag we have now.

Personally I just hope the left(most of which couldn't even tell me the difference between Switzerland, Australia, or Canada but love their systems but get mad if technocrats actually build inspiration from them) don't cling to this weird purity test around this narrow idealistic path of single-payer UHC that literally no country has and end up fucking this up for the near dozenth time in the last 100 years.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:20:17 AM by Nola »

agrajag

« Reply #33024 on: March 22, 2019, 10:39:00 AM »
Healthcare should never have been tied to employers in the first place.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #33025 on: March 22, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »

Worth pointing out that adding a hundred million more people would further increase bargaining power.
©ZH

Nola

« Reply #33026 on: March 22, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
Healthcare should never have been tied to employers in the first place.
At least not in the way we did it. I'd be fine with it if it's some supplemental benefit like some countries have. But certainly not one propped up by a regressive tax subsidy that is helping drive up costs and reduce coverage.

At the same time its the reality we have. I want to believe Bernie can get people to see the light or some Lyndon Johnson esque Democrat can twist enough arms to get the Joe Manchin's to sign onto a Medicare for all plan, even if shoved through reconciliation, but I'm cynical and skeptical though.

kingv

« Reply #33027 on: March 22, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »

Worth pointing out that while people's feelings are mixed on their employer healthcare they start to really shift their thoughts on single-payer when you talk about getting rid of it). And that is before we get the death panel treatment during round 2.

And it's anything but a dumb idea IMO. Frankly, it is the sort of technocratic idea that Bernie's was/is probably going to end up as when all is said and done. It achieves UHC in the short run by vastly expanding and consolidating Medicare and likely bleeds out most of the private market except as a smaller supplemental market over the long run with much less up front disruption in it's transition. Considering any reform is going to have to once again go through the Joe Manchin's and Jon tester's of the world on top of all the billion dollar interest groups that will fight tooth and nail from all directions at a single payer proposal of Bernie's stripe. Frankly unlike in the past the Center for American Progress put out a much improved vision than what got us the ACA and we all have Bernie to thank for pulling the center to where it needs to be. The question has and will always be though if lawmakers don't make the same stupid mistakes in their tradeoffs and assumptions like they did with the ACA. Which turned the chance to have UHC into the mixed bag we have now.

Personally I just hope the left(most of which couldn't even tell me the difference between Switzerland, Australia, or Canada but love their systems but get mad if technocrats actually build inspiration from them) don't cling to this weird purity test around this narrow idealistic path of single-payer UHC that literally no country has and end up fucking this up for the near dozenth time in the last 100 years.

The other thing with the Medicare For America plan, as presented, is the medical pla they are offering is also much worse than traditional Medicare. It has much higher deductibles and out of pocket max, that are probably better than your employer plan... but not that much better.

If you think about it, that also doesn’t make a ton of sense, because young people on the expanded Medicare will cost an order of magnitude less to insure than old people and disabled people

As far as bargaining power. Medicare doesn’t bargain, they dictate rates by law. So adding more people to the cool probably wouldn’t change them much. It might change how many providers accept Medicare, but most providers already do.

benjipwns

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

curly

• cultural maoist

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33031 on: March 22, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
Two party system is awesome.

shosta

« Reply #33032 on: March 22, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
Jerry Brown 92, Jack Kemp 96, McCain 2000, 2004/2008: Voinovich (wanted him to run), 2012: Huntsman/Obama, 2016: Kasich.

That's my list.
每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33033 on: March 22, 2019, 05:02:01 PM »
I don't understand the point ..

benjipwns

« Reply #33034 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:13 PM »
It's happening!
BREAKING NEWS: Robert Mueller's Russia investigation is officially complete

Special counsel Robert Mueller has concluded his investigation into whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the 2016 election.

A Justice Department official said on Friday that Mueller had submitted a report detailing his findings. Attorney General William Barr and his team will now begin the process of reviewing the report and creating a summary document that will be sent to Congress — and perhaps publicly released.

Barr said that he may be able to advise congressional leaders of Mueller's "principle conclusions" as soon as this weekend.

Nola

« Reply #33035 on: March 22, 2019, 05:08:28 PM »
Mueller’s report was just submitted to Barr.

james

« Reply #33036 on: March 22, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »
Prepare to be disappointed squad

"Yes we found 4,253 irregularities, but also all those involved have led upstanding lives and they didn't realize their actions were illegal at the time. We recommend a fine of $5,000"

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33037 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
So what if this report pretty much clears Trump. Will CNN admit they were wrong?  :doge
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33038 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
Prepare to be disappointed squad

"Yes we found 4,253 irregularities, but also all those involved have led upstanding lives and they didn't realize their actions were illegal at the time. We recommend a fine of $5,000"

Hoping it’s not a nothing burger just so I can quote your avatar back to you

benjipwns

« Reply #33039 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:18 PM »
I bet Hillary is a nervous wreck, pacing back and forth. Constantly peering out into the street through the drapes.

james

« Reply #33040 on: March 22, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »
I bet Benji is a nervous wreck, pacing back and forth. Constantly peering out into the street through the drapes.

benjipwns

« Reply #33041 on: March 22, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
The report is just 400 pages of "Lock Her Up!"

agrajag

« Reply #33042 on: March 22, 2019, 05:30:49 PM »
why do you think he wears that mask?

Occam

« Reply #33043 on: March 22, 2019, 05:31:59 PM »
I doubt they found direct evidence of collusion, but they probably learned of tons of other illegal activities by Trump and his cronies.
Is the non-collusion stuff included in the report? Those are probably the parts that will be blacked out before it gets passed on, and we'll get to see them 40 years from now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33044 on: March 22, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »
Mueller has stated that there has been no interference with his investigation during the probe.
Expect this thing to be a total dud other than what we already know (Flynn, Manafort etc.).
🤴

Nola

« Reply #33045 on: March 22, 2019, 05:32:32 PM »
I bet HungryNoob is a nervous wreck, pacing back and forth. Constantly peering out into the street through the drapes.

james

« Reply #33046 on: March 22, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
The report is just 400 pages of "Lock Her Up!"

One page for every point the DOW dropped today.

What did Wall Street know and who told them?

agrajag

« Reply #33047 on: March 22, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
there's been no interference except for Trump literally trying to fire him multiple times, amirite

benjipwns

« Reply #33048 on: March 22, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
I bet HungryNoob is a nervous wreck, pacing back and forth. Constantly peering out into the street through the drapes.
Yeah, but that doesn't have anything to do with this report.

Occam

« Reply #33049 on: March 22, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
The only question I have is, what's the likelihood of the entire, non-redacted report being leaked?

james

« Reply #33050 on: March 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
It is time to move past the investigation and as a country come together and heal.

benjipwns

« Reply #33051 on: March 22, 2019, 05:43:35 PM »
The only question I have is, what's the likelihood of the entire, non-redacted report being leaked?
The written report itself may not need any significant redacting and might just be released like The Starr Report and 9/11 Commission Report and become a best seller. A lot probably depends on what it says and the nature of any evidence.

benjipwns

« Reply #33052 on: March 22, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
Special counsel Robert Mueller will not be recommending any further indictments in his Russia investigation, a senior Justice Department official said on Friday.
she can't keep getting away with it! :stahp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33053 on: March 22, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »
If this thing clears Trump.  :lol
🤴

shosta

« Reply #33054 on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »
Only 16 months later, my prediction has finally come true: the Mueller investigation is wrapping up.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #33055 on: March 22, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »
I don't understand the point ..
I misread the sarcasm in your post  :doge
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #33056 on: March 22, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
Now that this is all over, forever, let's get back to the real issues:
Beto O’Rourke standing on countertops, explained
His leading opponents are really old.
By Matthew Yglesias

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33057 on: March 22, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »
Mueller’s report was just submitted to Barr.

How long will it take Roseanne to read it?
©@©™

daemon

« Reply #33058 on: March 22, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
there's been no interference except for Trump literally trying to fire him multiple times, amirite

Well, he's known to get defensive when accused of something. That's his character.

james

« Reply #33059 on: March 22, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
I was told Jr would be in jail, what happened?