Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5544156 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| America: A Yum! Brands affiliate
« Reply #33180 on: March 24, 2019, 10:55:42 PM »
the people who believe in the development and protection of a Jewish nation have won :fbm

You're free to complain about AIPAC and Bibi all you want to.
mandarks uncle and cousins  :neogaf

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #33181 on: March 24, 2019, 11:06:04 PM »

In Emerson’s second poll of the Iowa caucus, former Vice President Joe Biden narrowly leads the Democratic field with 25%, followed by Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders at 24%. Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana has surged to 11%. Senator Kamala Harris of California follows with 10% - the only other candidate to clear double digits in Iowa. Data was collected between March 21-24, and the Democratic caucus ballot test had a margin of error +/- 6.2%

Caller ID

The Iowa statewide Emerson College poll was conducted March 21-24, 2019. The sample consisted of registered voters, n=707, with a Credibility Interval (CI) similar to a poll’s margin of error (MOE) of +/- 3.6 percentage points. The data was weighted based on 2016 voter model, age, gender, and region. It is important to remember that subsets based on gender, age, party breakdown, ethnicity and region carry with them higher margins of error, as the sample size is reduced. Data was collected using both an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system of landlines only (n=424) and an online panel provided by Dynata (n=283). www.emersonpolling.com
https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/iowa-2020-biden-and-sanders-neck-and-neck-in-democratic-field-mayor-pete-jumps-to-double-digits

Iowa loves old men and the gays?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33182 on: March 24, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »
lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33183 on: March 24, 2019, 11:14:18 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33184 on: March 24, 2019, 11:17:18 PM »
Some really smart people, some of the smartest, are saying bork is a nazi sympathizer, I don’t know if it’s true, but it’s being said by some experts

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33185 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:59 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm Jewish.
[close]
:shh
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33186 on: March 24, 2019, 11:21:32 PM »
I'm surrounded  :stahp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33187 on: March 24, 2019, 11:28:07 PM »

M A
M A
32 seconds ago
If Maddow were Pinocchio her wife would have just had the best 2 yrs of her freakin life♋️

:lol :lol :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #33189 on: March 24, 2019, 11:41:02 PM »

Say a prayer for Our Patron Saint of Taking Down the Current Administration by lighting one of artist Clare Winter's Robert Mueller devotional candles. You can get these rhinestone-embellished candles through Winter's online shop Devotional Democracy ($12) or in person at Cargo Inc in Portland, Oregon. (Rumor has it she is making Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) longevity candles next.)

nice

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33190 on: March 24, 2019, 11:42:42 PM »

Say a prayer for Our Patron Saint of Taking Down the Current Administration by lighting one of artist Clare Winter's Robert Mueller devotional candles. You can get these rhinestone-embellished candles through Winter's online shop Devotional Democracy ($12) or in person at Cargo Inc in Portland, Oregon. (Rumor has it she is making Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) longevity candles next.)

nice
is that abuela's house  :mueller

benjipwns

« Reply #33191 on: March 24, 2019, 11:44:05 PM »
Quote from: Matt Taibbi
Note to readers: in light of news that Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation is complete, I’m releasing this chapter of Hate Inc. early, with a few new details added up top.
I hope "WMD times a million" is not the book chapter title he went with and just click-baiting for his blog. :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33192 on: March 25, 2019, 12:22:09 AM »

:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #33193 on: March 25, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »
Taibbi should have stopped with this comparison probably:
The Steele report occupies the same role in #Russiagate the tales spun by Ahmed Chalabi occupied in the WMD screwup. Once again, a narrative became turbo-charged when Officials With Motives pulled the press corps by its nose to a swamp of unconfirmable private assertions.
Also, he needs an "as" in that sentence, hope the proofreaders caught this before it went to print. :doge

Plus I think the comparison works better backwards here, stuff like the whole "pee tape" story do more to help illustrate to people now the kinds of tales that Chalabi was spreading practically unchecked by anyone back in the day. Versus bringing those up and expecting anyone who isn't Mandark (or me) to remember those.

My personal favorite was the woodchipper story that was almost an exact duplicate of the Fargo scene taken to eleven. I always imagine Saddam or Qusay like catching the film on TNT or something then deciding it'd be fun. (I don't remember if that exact one was one of Chalabi's though, a lot of people were using that one with zero confirmation, also like a bunch of fake soldiers or something tried to claim they found it while in Iraq or something.)

edit: neat, it has its own Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein%27s_alleged_shredder
Ann Clwyd wrote in The Times six days later, an article entitled "See men shredded, then say you don't back war,"

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33195 on: March 25, 2019, 12:54:22 AM »
Matt Taibbi going anti-anti-Trump is completely unsurprising.

benjipwns

« Reply #33196 on: March 25, 2019, 12:57:50 AM »
”By the way there are 62 freshmen Democrats. You hear me? 62, not 3. “
I don't think that's the worst line for leadership really.

Republicans and Fox News and etc. are trying to do a lot to paint those freshmen as all AOC/Omar clones, they know the latter are more than pretty safe, it's 40 some of those other members in recent GOP seats they need to protect for a majority.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33197 on: March 25, 2019, 01:03:44 AM »
Eh. Even in a vacuum he's scolding new members (you can emphasize the big-tent nature of the party without doing this, I promise!), he's doing so to maintain the shitty party line on Israel policy, and is anyone in a swing district going to care about what Steny Hoyer said? At least as good a chance it gets picked up as "even senior Democrats admit their party has a problem with radicalism/antisemitism!!!" which was basically the result of the pile-on with Omar.

benjipwns

« Reply #33198 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
Eh. Even in a vacuum he's scolding new members (you can emphasize the big-tent nature of the party without doing this, I promise!), he's doing so to maintain the shitty party line on Israel policy, and is anyone in a swing district going to care about what Steny Hoyer said? At least as good a chance it gets picked up as "even senior Democrats admit their party has a problem with radicalism/antisemitism!!!" which was basically the result of the pile-on with Omar.
Yeah, you're right, I was looking at the line compared to the first tweet I guess. It's a decent line when you think about something like the coverage AOC gets compared to the other freshmen.

I assume one factor is they probably stupidly thought nobody would report anything said at AIPAC like normal. It'd be much better to use at a DNC or DNCC event or something. There's other ways to apologize to AIPAC on the down low.

Matt Taibbi going anti-anti-Trump is completely unsurprising.
He's done better than his fellow contrarian Glenn at it, he does like one anti-Trump article for every anti-anti-Trump/anti-DNC/pro-Bernie one he does. The theme of his book is how Trump's hate and methods have become normalized by everyone copying his "game" or whatever but he normally produces two crappy books for every good one so it means a good one might be coming next. I assume this one is another one of just republishing his rewritten/updated articles since it would fit the theme of his going back and forth between them in his articles lately.

Glenn's totally paranoid about his Twitter enemies being the root of all evil because he spends all day on it like all the weirdos. (See: Nintex) I have to admit I enjoy it probably more. Especially when he writes a big long article because someone he was arguing with blocked him and HE WANTS THEM TO SEE HIS ARGUMENT GOD DAMMIT. He's also really defensive about the fact he's been living in Brazil now because nobody in the U.S. cares. All it does is make me wish he somehow runs into Assimilate and they get in an argument about something like Jordan Peterson.

Taibbi still links to dumb stuff like this and calls it dumb and silly, Glenn probably calls it evidence and puts it in his dossiers:
https://twitter.com/donnabrazile/status/887331637998096384
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:27:38 AM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33199 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:23 AM »
Greenwald makes like $350k a year to namesearch himself on Twitter and act petty about arcane online bullshit. A true inspiration to us shitposters everywhere.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33200 on: March 25, 2019, 01:39:36 AM »
So like when should we expect them? Rough guess.

do you like game theory?
he prefers fillergame theoryrellif  ;)
:whatisthis :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #33201 on: March 25, 2019, 01:41:00 AM »
Plus his husband comes from wealth and is now a deputy in their legislature. They have two kids. But I don't think the dude has ever been actively madder than he is currently at near randoms on Twitter and recycled CNN pundits. All day long.

edit: Actually, maybe that explains it if he's home all day with the kids. :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #33202 on: March 25, 2019, 01:44:16 AM »
(((filler annihilated)))

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33203 on: March 25, 2019, 01:45:14 AM »
 :-[

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33204 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:02 AM »
Anti- fillers have to be the most vigilant in calling out anti-semitism  :D
:lol

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33205 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:08 AM »
Lol at the new word filters. Sad it's come to this
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33206 on: March 25, 2019, 01:48:19 AM »
Lol at the new word filters. Sad it's come to this
:trumps

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33207 on: March 25, 2019, 01:50:11 AM »
Plus his husband comes from wealth and is now a deputy in their legislature. They have two kids. But I don't think the dude has ever been actively madder than he is currently at near randoms on Twitter and recycled CNN pundits. All day long.

edit: Actually, maybe that explains it if he's home all day with the kids. :thinking

He lives in a huge house in the picturesque rainforest with his beloved husband, cute adopted kids, and a bunch of dogs yet spends all day being miserable online. Adam Silver was right about social media.

benjipwns

« Reply #33208 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:42 AM »
I can't find it anywhere on the first couple pages of Google, but somebody posted images in one of the comments on his Intercept articles where there was one night where he tweeted about going out to dinner with just his husband for the first time in whatever since the kids, and like forty-five minutes later he was still arguing with someone on Twitter then he deleted all the tweets after like an hour :lol

I did find this on the home of the dark intellectuals: https://quillette.com/2019/01/18/glenn-greenwalds-bad-history/
Had [Henry] Wallace become President of the United States, it would have been the equivalent of Stalin directly taking over the highest levels of the American government.
:ussrcry

benjipwns

« Reply #33209 on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:38 AM »
"Zion-ists" should be filtered to "anti-fillers"

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #33210 on: March 25, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »
What's the word filter
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #33211 on: March 25, 2019, 02:10:34 AM »
Anti-anti-fillers shouldn't be allowed in your draft room after watching the guy totally ignore the existence of Tacko Bell Falls. LeBron probably would have put on the freshmen 15 25 40 too. :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33212 on: March 25, 2019, 02:12:37 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #33213 on: March 25, 2019, 03:19:10 AM »
lol looked at Glenn's newest article and of course the entire conclusion is about Twitter and something he did
In lieu of convincing evidence to support his central claim, Dovere used all sorts of slimy insinuation to imply that Sirota was guilty of wrongdoing. He focused on the fact that Sirota had deleted roughly 20,000 tweets upon being hired by the Sanders campaign. But with journalists like Dovere so clearly devoted to smearing the reputations of anyone associated with the Sanders campaign using these sorts of manipulative tactics, is it any wonder that Sirota would view regular tweet deletions as a prudent course of action?

Contrary to Dovere’s attempts to make Sirota’s tweet deletions appear sinister and abnormal, they are actually a normal practice for many journalists. Vox’s Matt Yglesias, for instance, uses Twitter very prolifically, yet regularly and quite frequently deletes all of his tweets, ensuring that only the last few weeks of his pronouncements are available at any time. When MSNBC’s Joy Reid was revealed to have a long history of ugly anti-gay bigotry, she not only deleted tweets but also deleted her entire website, and then manufactured a lie that a hacker, rather than she herself, had authored them and that the FBI was searching for the hacker she invented (rather than being fired by MSNBC for lying to the public about a fake hacker and apparently to the FBI, she was praised for her ethics and courage by key MSNBC star Rachel Maddow).

Last year, I deleted roughly 27,000 old tweets – purposely choosing only ones that pre-dated the 2016 election (in a futile attempt to avoid deranged conspiracy theories that the deletions were designed to evade Robert Mueller’s scrutiny) – due to how easy it is to distort the meaning of particularly old tweets by removing them from their context (something that temporarily got Sam Seder fired by MSNBC until executives finally realized that they had mis-read the old tweet that caused his firing).

Indeed, to understand the justifiability and wisdom of deleting old tweets, consider what Vox writer Aaron Rupar did this week to Briahna Joy Gray when it was announced that Gray was leaving the Intercept to become the Press Secretary for Sanders’ campaigns (that happened on the same day Dovere smeared Sirota). Rupar spent that day digging through Gray’s old tweets to find anything incriminating that he could get his hands on in order to ruin her reputation before she even started her job as Sanders’ Press Secretary.

Rupar’s most viral, damaging tweet about Gray ended up being an outright falsehood: that Gray, during the 2016 election, had endorsed the theory that the DNC hack was really an “insider job.” Although Rupar, in the face of mass outrage, later admitted that his accusation about Gray’s views was false – Gray never embraced any such theory – his retraction received a tiny amount of attention and re-tweets compared to the original, viral untruth he posted. So the damage to Gray’s reputation was done, as intended – all because this anti-Sanders Vox writer wildly distorted one of her old tweets by tearing it out of its context:

Under those circumstances, it shouldn’t be hard to understand why people joining the Sanders campaign – in an environment filled with unethical journalists with extreme anti-Sanders animus such as Dovere and Rupar – would want to delete their old tweets to prevent distortions of this type. Whatever else is true, tweet deletions are certainly not evidence of any wrongdoing by Sirota.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33214 on: March 25, 2019, 03:20:12 AM »
Wait, Sam was only temporarily fired by MSNBC?
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #33215 on: March 25, 2019, 03:22:41 AM »
Yeah, they read the actual tweet and offered his job back:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/07/business/media/msnbc-sam-seder.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Seder#Firing
On December 9, 2017, having failed to get Seder fired, Cernovich claimed that his wife was being stalked at the behest of the media.

Though they (by this I mean either Sam or MSNBC or both) may have not renewed this after it all:
his contract (due to expire in February 2018)

benjipwns

« Reply #33216 on: March 25, 2019, 03:32:06 AM »
list of people who got fired and rehired because of Twitter:
  • James Gunn
  • Sam Seder
  • that Chipolte manager

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #33217 on: March 25, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »
Were there people who honestly expected the Mueller report to immediately lead to a perp-walk onto Marine One? I think the reason Pelosi and every other Democrat avoided talking about Russia in 2018 was because they expected the report to serve as a neutral source of evidence to lead to charges against Trump's son, hopefully eroding his support among Republican Senators/voters.

But maybe I'm just too simple.

benjipwns

« Reply #33218 on: March 25, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »
people or "people"?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
(((people)))?
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33219 on: March 25, 2019, 04:31:20 AM »
Were there people who honestly expected the Mueller report to immediately lead to a perp-walk onto Marine One? I think the reason Pelosi and every other Democrat avoided talking about Russia in 2018 was because they expected the report to serve as a neutral source of evidence to lead to charges against Trump's son, hopefully eroding his support among Republican Senators/voters.

But maybe I'm just too simple.

Mueller/Russia/impeachment were low priorities for Democrats in every poll I saw. They ran mostly on healthcare (specifically coverage for preexisting conditions) because it's an issue that favors them and is the sort of quality-of-life that Dems typically run on. Not more complicated than that.

Also probably the recent memory of Hillary running personal anti-Trump ads rather than that sort of traditional "pocketbook" issues and losing.

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33221 on: March 25, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »
Were there people who honestly expected the Mueller report to immediately lead to a perp-walk onto Marine One?

I'm sure some Twitter slacktivists did. But I would lie if I said I didn't expect something more juicy that would mire Trump up until the election and I think that's what most people hoped for (at the most something that could put impeachment on the table). If the summary is mostly truthful to the content, I think Trump is insulated from further inquiries into potentially foreign shady dealings (perhaps even domestic ones) for the rest of his mandate.

I think the Dems have plenty to campaign on regardless.
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #33222 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:13 AM »
  • James Gunn
  • Sam Seder

both re-hired!

:ufup

kingv

« Reply #33223 on: March 25, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Taibbi should have stopped with this comparison probably:
The Steele report occupies the same role in #Russiagate the tales spun by Ahmed Chalabi occupied in the WMD screwup. Once again, a narrative became turbo-charged when Officials With Motives pulled the press corps by its nose to a swamp of unconfirmable private assertions.
Also, he needs an "as" in that sentence, hope the proofreaders caught this before it went to print. :doge

Plus I think the comparison works better backwards here, stuff like the whole "pee tape" story do more to help illustrate to people now the kinds of tales that Chalabi was spreading practically unchecked by anyone back in the day. Versus bringing those up and expecting anyone who isn't Mandark (or me) to remember those.

My personal favorite was the woodchipper story that was almost an exact duplicate of the Fargo scene taken to eleven. I always imagine Saddam or Qusay like catching the film on TNT or something then deciding it'd be fun. (I don't remember if that exact one was one of Chalabi's though, a lot of people were using that one with zero confirmation, also like a bunch of fake soldiers or something tried to claim they found it while in Iraq or something.)

edit: neat, it has its own Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein%27s_alleged_shredder
Ann Clwyd wrote in The Times six days later, an article entitled "See men shredded, then say you don't back war,"

You know, I don’t really agree with Taibbi’s whole thrust... at least not without seeing the whole report.

I think you can point to some “media personalities” that were aggressive with their conclusions, but not very many reporters that were. For the most part, the reporting on russia was fairly measured. The dossier was always covered with a hint of skepticism, and was never taken as verified fact.

Without seeing Mueller’s report we don’t really know how much of it was false.

Imo the worst reporting really was when they would take some administration source at face value when they’d say “Mueller is delivering the report tomorrow”. I think Ken Dilanian announces the end of the probe st least 3 times.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33224 on: March 25, 2019, 09:17:04 AM »
My favorite episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is when they fought Saddam Hussein's alleged Shredder.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #33225 on: March 25, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
  • James Gunn
  • Sam Seder

both re-hired!

:ufup

That’s what he said ???

agrajag

« Reply #33226 on: March 25, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
I was still half asleep  :nintendo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33227 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »
Filler can't change his profile anymore.

dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33228 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
My favorite episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is when they fought Saddam Hussein's alleged Shredder.

And his biggest artillery canon ever.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #33229 on: March 25, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
should have gave him the old man avatar

agrajag

« Reply #33230 on: March 25, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
(((testing)))

benjipwns

« Reply #33231 on: March 25, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
zion-ists should be anti-fillers instead of fillers or else we ban the mods and KILL THEM :bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #33232 on: March 25, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »
yesss fillers proper avatar restored :rejoice

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33233 on: March 25, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
should have gave him the old man avatar

Done.

I'm only trying to protect filler from himself. demi said we gotta keep the big AIPAC money flowing into the board, so this had to be done. :trumps
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #33234 on: March 25, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »
the fillerfillersrellif have won

exelciorrellif

james

« Reply #33235 on: March 25, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
I have a new theory that went out in my newsletter this morning.

The Mueller report is a red herring. He released it as a honey pot.

Basically, he is tapping into phones because he knows people like Trump Jr will be making calls saying things like "I knew once we destroyed the evidence of the Prague trip they'd have nothing, Mueller can suck my ass"

Barr is being played as well. Mueller will get him for collusion as well.

All going according to plan.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33236 on: March 25, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »

Basically, he is tapping into phones because he knows people like Trump Jr will be making calls saying things like "I knew once we destroyed the evidence of the Prague trip they'd have nothing, Mueller can suck my ass"

Wait for Spaceworld.
©@©™

james

« Reply #33237 on: March 25, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »

Wait for Spaceworld.

That's a reference I haven't heard in awhile.

And it hurts. Rip spaceworld with Eternal Darkness 2

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33238 on: March 25, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
I loved Spaceworld and I loved waiting for Spaceworld. :bow Mature Link :bow2
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33239 on: March 25, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
'round here we say wait for aipac  ;)