Author Topic: MGS V was unfinished because Konami locked Kojima in a closet  (Read 13054 times)

Himu

Re: MGS V was unfinished because Konami locked Kojima in a closet
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2016, 05:59:17 PM »
Disagree. I'd listen while wandering the game world.

I love MGSV. Not as 2 Substance or 3 but damn is it a great entry in the series in terms of gameplay. I'd love for more iteration on it with some classic MG story telling for flavor but with Kojima gone from Konami that's not gonna happen.

I played MGSV on PS3. Now that I've got a ps4, I should really get it on that system for the superior version.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
I don't care bout any of that I guess. Just want dat sneaking. Don't care about plot point to plot point. As far as I'm concerned the series is :trash in that regard besides MG2, MGS1, and MGS3. For the most part, the bread and butter of MG to me is sneaking in places. Story is extra.
GBC MGS was great too

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
Yeah, I mean when I see interviews where Kojima talks about what it's pretty obvious he's a terrible manager and creates scope creep like mad and has an antagonistic relationship with his team. I bet that Konami was just like "We can't have him fucking up the last few sprints otherwise it'll never get done."
I mentioned this in a previous MGS thread, but in 2012 I was at GDC and looking for work after quitting my Japanese job. The Kojima studios were opening up and hiring, so I asked how they were managing the process. They handed me a clipboard and asked me to fill it out and get in line. There were about 50 people in line; everyone looked neckbeardy, even the women.

The clipboard's questionnaire asked participants to rate their ability in each game development discipline on a scale of 1-to-10: programming, level design, art, animation, audio. Nothing for management or production.

Can you imagine trying to run a project the size of an MGS without any project managers? And from the looks of things, people would be expected to wear many hats, on a team of hundreds.

No, thanks.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2016, 07:27:27 PM »
I don't care bout any of that I guess. Just want dat sneaking. Don't care about plot point to plot point. As far as I'm concerned the series is :trash in that regard besides MG2, MGS1, and MGS3. For the most part, the bread and butter of MG to me is sneaking in places. Story is extra.

MGS2 is the best story of any video game

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
yeah the whole jack and rose story was really compelling
pcp

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »
That wasn't the game's story

MGS2 predicted the next 15 years of America

bluemax

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
Yeah, I mean when I see interviews where Kojima talks about what it's pretty obvious he's a terrible manager and creates scope creep like mad and has an antagonistic relationship with his team. I bet that Konami was just like "We can't have him fucking up the last few sprints otherwise it'll never get done."
I mentioned this in a previous MGS thread, but in 2012 I was at GDC and looking for work after quitting my Japanese job. The Kojima studios were opening up and hiring, so I asked how they were managing the process. They handed me a clipboard and asked me to fill it out and get in line. There were about 50 people in line; everyone looked neckbeardy, even the women.

The clipboard's questionnaire asked participants to rate their ability in each game development discipline on a scale of 1-to-10: programming, level design, art, animation, audio. Nothing for management or production.

Can you imagine trying to run a project the size of an MGS without any project managers? And from the looks of things, people would be expected to wear many hats, on a team of hundreds.

No, thanks.

I took the programming test for KojiPro LA, it was a dumb test. Also I know a girl who worked there, she's pretty cute (and also really into video games).

That being said, I feel like Japanese game development studio structure is still very stuck in the past and it is one of the reasons they fell behind during PS2 era. We had the EA Spouse thing and people finally started speaking up and trying to figure out how to make game development a little more sane. It didn't really get that much better, but I bet no one in Japan talks about agile or six sigma or sprints.
NO

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »
I knew a few people who were at Konami LA and no one there had anything nice to say about it. Konami even threatened immediate job termination if they attended GDC or E3.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
i want a backstory on the buttholes who came to destroy konami
pcp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »
Yeah I really wonder if we'll ever find out anything more to the story.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 03:55:38 AM »

Metal Gear Rising has the next fifteen on lock

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »

Metal Gear Rising has the next fifteen on lock

http://i.imgur.com/e1woXRO.jpg

Good ol' 9/11!

No, thanks.

Kojima is generally the oversee on his projects. Everything gets looked at by him, which is the problem with Phantom Pains development. He was in charge of what the engine was going to do/it's goals (mostly the lighting and how gameplay would function) in addition to overseeing cutscenes and little things like gameplay stuff (shooting a water barrel above an outhouse had the guards come out. He was talking about this in March 2015).

Expanding the Studio into two places didn't help. But we'll see how Death Stranding turns out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:51:43 AM by thisismyusername »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Kojima is generally the oversee on his projects. Everything gets looked at by him, which is the problem with Phantom Pains development. He was in charge of what the engine was going to do/it's goals (mostly the lighting and how gameplay would function) in addition to overseeing cutscenes and little things like gameplay stuff (shooting a water barrel above an outhouse had the guards come out. He was talking about this in March 2015).

Expanding the Studio into two places didn't help. But we'll see how Death Stranding turns out.

Sure. There are ways to be the nitty-gritty overseer that work, and ways that don't. This may have been a tendency he developed when it was possible to make a game with 10 people, or even 30, but when you're looking at the scope of MGS V, it simply doesn't scale. Having dedicated managers/producers/coordinators is just part of the overhead needed, and having them would allow him to actually focus on tiny details like water barrels above an outhouse to his heart's content.

thisismyusername

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2018, 10:45:36 PM »
Bumping an old post because relevant:

Why are we here, just to suffer? (Take with a huge grain of salt because 4chan)

https://i.imgur.com/CMElp7t.jpg

Explains quite a bit. (Also you might need to copy paste this image URL due to the Bore scaling)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:32:09 PM by demi »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2018, 07:07:41 AM »
Bumping an old post because relevant:

Why are we here, just to suffer? (Take with a huge grain of salt because 4chan)

https://i.imgur.com/CMElp7t.jpg

Explains quite a bit. (Also you might need to copy paste this image URL due to the Bore scaling)
It sounds believable but yeah, it's also 4chan.

MGSV was really good regardless a sequel could be amazing if they find the right director to work on it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:32:20 PM by demi »
🤴

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
Not sure if it’s real but I know someone who was an LD there in 2016 and he’s a native English speakers as well.

The FOX Engine being a shitshow early on checks out though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:42:14 PM by a slime appears »

thisismyusername

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2020, 05:38:19 PM »
Would six more months really impact the terrible story,

Yes? Given how rushed Chapter 2 is and how abrupt the ending is? (Just like FF12's rushed/out there story for it's second half after Matsuno left?)

Stay salty it has the best gameplay in the series, though? :umad

You can't fix that kind of stuff in 6 months though, it just isn't feasible.

I don't necessarily agree. "chapter 2" could've been fixed within the six months by 1) not requiring playing side missions to unlock the last 3-4 story missions and 2) those story missions wouldn't have been "hidden" at least ending-wise.

Plus, I feel with the script that Kojima had (which I guess he couldn't give the team?) they could've made an extensive FMV ending than what we got. Look at the Youtube for "Mission 51"/Going to fight Eli/Liquid for a plot-line that didn't conclude. I feel doing in-engine cutscenes for that when it was clear the game wouldn't have been able to be finished in the way Kojima wanted (with mission designs) would be possible. But I'm not all up on the development timeline in regards to doing cutscenes like that.

I mean the biggest key indicator that Kojima wasn't finished is "Chapter 3: Peace" being datamined. So in attempt to actually give closure, they could've scrapped the Chapter 2 missions (besides the ones they had... Mission 44/45 the ending two were complete fully IIRC?) that were side-missions and just focused on wrapping up the story.

Well, in any case:

https://twitter.com/AUTOMATONJapan/status/1288300745674985473

PS3 players dismantled all nukes. So they're the first to get the datamined "secret scene" that everyone has already seen.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2020, 06:51:54 PM »
Well, looking back on the people dunking on Kojima's management skill in this thread.
Konami still hasn't announced a new Metal Gear Solid game or even a Switch port.
Meanwhile, Kojima has released a new ambitious video game within a reasonable timeframe and is working on a new project  :dice
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
konami had a rough time with all those ps3 hd collections; why go through that again when you make more with gambling machines and barely-used gym memberships
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
They had problems because they were cheap. I guess I can understand not spending tons for say Zone of the Enders. But Silent Hill deserved a better team with better resources behind it. MGS was fine because of Bluepoint and Zone of the Enders 2 ports have turned out fine when you have talented and/or teams with resources like Hexa Drive and Cy Games.

It’s a shame because you could easily have evergreen titles with both. There’s always going to be some YouTube essay on these “forgotten gems” that will make people go out and find them. Luckily ZoE2 has a modern port, but SH not is a crime.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:08 PM »
Well, looking back on the people dunking on Kojima's management skill in this thread.
Konami still hasn't announced a new Metal Gear Solid game or even a Switch port.
Meanwhile, Kojima has released a new ambitious video game within a reasonable timeframe and is working on a new project  :dice

:hitler
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2020, 11:46:10 PM »
well they were done by masahiro ito, so it'd be weird if they weren't. but i gave that game a serious shot and god damn it really is as bad as people say.
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2020, 12:44:00 AM »
Peace is always possible :salute

Himu

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2020, 12:56:39 AM »
Konami locked all their developers in a closet. How is this a surprise they'd eventually turn on him the way they turned on the rest of their creators?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2020, 01:04:12 AM »

PC is apparently in 2,000 range. Should be a month or two to hit if nobody keeps joining.

I'm honestly surprised the PS3 community even reached it "normally" since I figured people would keep making Nukes as they help defend your base (IIRC) or make you a target priority for invasions so people would just make them to invade F.O.B.'s constantly.

Plus, there's an achievement for making one, so that would add +1 for each new player attempting to gain that in the game, making dismantling longer/slower to do.

Five years though. Man, I can't believe it's been five years since the whole Konami fiasco. The only thing I've bought from them since Phantom Pain is Castlevania SotN's Android port (which is ok, but I had to switch to a physical controller after a while because the touch controls suck ass and clearly the game wasn't built for that in 1998) and Contra on Steam (mostly to get rid of my Operation C and Contra NES carts)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2020, 08:57:43 AM »

I still haven't played MSGV, which means I never made nukes.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
:lol at anyone surprised by Konami anything

They sucked Kojima's dick for years at the expense of the rest of their development portfolio.

Silent Hill team and creator of Suikoden left/disbanded basically at the same time. Iga was ran out the company.

Goemon, Contra, Suikoden,  Castlevania, Silent Hill, all fell to the perils of Konami. Konami bought Hudson and has done jack shit with their portfolio. The final Gradius was V released on the PS2. The last Goemon to my memory was on the DS.

Anyone paying attention to the Konami circus shouldn't be surprised and if you are you were completely blinded by the Metal Gear cum strewn across your face because you're literally ten years late.

If you can't tell, I completely resent them as a company.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
Honestly I'm glad kojima is gone. For years all they did was funnel that snide fucker money for metal gear while giving the rest of the company scraps. I love metal gear but hate how it came to take away from the detriment of everything else the company made. Then near the end of it they slapped that morons name on anything that was ruined because his projects took all the funding. First it was Castlevania and then Silent Hill. Fuck Hideo Kojima.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
it's not like they were siphoning money off other projects to give to metal gear development. they bailed on nearly all of their classic franchises after the ps2 generation. silent hill and castlevania got the western dev outsourcing treatment that a lot of japanese devs were trying back then, but when that failed they shelved those too. i think it's likely that management was already trying to shift away from game development at that point; metal gear survived for so long because it was still a big money-maker.
pcp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »
Did someone mention that PES will start running on Unreal engine (instead of Fox) on all versions starting next entry ?
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2020, 11:21:02 AM »
What do you want?

Peace.

thisismyusername

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
it's not like they were siphoning money off other projects to give to metal gear development. they bailed on nearly all of their classic franchises after the ps2 generation. silent hill and castlevania got the western dev outsourcing treatment that a lot of japanese devs were trying back then, but when that failed they shelved those too. i think it's likely that management was already trying to shift away from game development at that point; metal gear survived for so long because it was still a big money-maker.

Exactly this. Kojima had nothing to do with Konami's fuck-ups. Konami themselves are to blame for their issues.

Did someone mention that PES will start running on Unreal engine (instead of Fox) on all versions starting next entry ?

That's a shame. So five years later, they didn't even bother to license the work Kojima and his team put in to attempt to make them money from it. Shame, too, since it's highly optimized.