Author Topic: MGS V was unfinished because Konami locked Kojima in a closet  (Read 12823 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
MGS V was unfinished because Konami locked Kojima in a closet
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »
From Geoff Keighley

http://www.glixel.com/news/inside-geoff-keighleys-game-awards-empire-w453290

"I haven't talked much about that, but it was such a difficult time because he was going through a lot last year," Keighley says. He was shocked when he found out – just days before the show – that Konami wasn't going to allow Kojima to attend, and he felt he had to say something, despite the company being a sponsor. "The fact that he finished that game under those circumstances is just amazing. He was locked in a separate room on a different floor than his development team for the final six months of development. He couldn't even talk to them – he had to talk through someone else. That's how that game was finished."

:neogaf

OH!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: MGS V was unfinished because Konami locked Kojima in a closet
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
WTF is up with konami

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
:piss Konami :piss2
dog

Syph

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
I bought MGSV on launch and because of school still have yet to play it  :fbm
this winter break i'll finally have time though i hope
XO

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »
I hope we eventually find out what did him in. Burned too much money? Refused to put (more) microtransactions into the game? Someone high up who protected him retired? A casualty of Konami wanting to exit game dev as quickly as possible?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »
That's how Japanese companies are when they "fire" someone. They basically put them in a room and say they're working until their contract is up. I'm not surprised, and it explains a lot of how unfinished the story was.

I hope we eventually find out what did him in. Burned too much money? Refused to put (more) microtransactions into the game? Someone high up who protected him retired? A casualty of Konami wanting to exit game dev as quickly as possible?

Fox Engine was still being worked on. There was no release date and the next-gen consoles were already launched. Plus he was fighting against Konami going into Pachinko (how is that working out for them, again? :doge ) and leaving AAA development. As the "head" of their console business, doing that basically sealed his fate.

To be honest, outside of not being able to take Metal Gear with him he's better off without Konami. The Death Stranding trailers have been pretty hot fire and Sony seems to be allowing him to go as batshit as he wants. We'll see how it turns out.

Doesn't take that long. It's like 36 hours or so IIRC if you don't do completionist. But the second chapter kinda craps out since they couldn't finish it.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »
That's how Japanese companies are when they "fire" someone. They basically put them in a room and say they're working until their contract is up. I'm not surprised, and it explains a lot of how unfinished the story was.
I thought that went the way of the dodo along with life-long employment. For the rank and file, anyway.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
I thought that went the way of the dodo along with life-long employment. For the rank and file, anyway.

Not that I'm aware of (Oscar [come back. :fbm ] would probably know better being actually in Japan) but even then, Kojima has/had been there for 27-28 years. He started his career there right after college. It's why he was the head of their  games development around 2003-2004-ish and leading Kojima Productions and overseeing things.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »
IIRC this was a different situation, because he was leaving the company.  The situation you're describing is when someone isn't quitting and they're not getting fired...they just get to sit at their desk and stare out the window until they retire.  :doge
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 09:51:10 PM »
Honestly who gives a fuck? Would six more months really impact the terrible story, the shitty mission design, shitty set prices, god awful characterization, and terrible set piecies? No the game was always going to piece of crap because it decided to be PW2 which is an awful idea.

mormapope

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »
"who gives a fuck!?"

*posts a paragraph of bitching and moaning.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 09:55:32 PM »
Honestly who gives a fuck? Would six more months really impact the terrible story, the shitty mission design, shitty set prices, god awful characterization, and terrible set piecies? No the game was always going to piece of crap because it decided to be PW2 which is an awful idea.

We might have gotten a finished game.  Possibly.  :doge

All I know is, FUCKONAMI and I am done buying their games.  The shit that happened with Kojima was unsettling enough that I got rid of MGSV when stories started coming out about how he and his team were treated.  Haven't played a Konami game since then, in fact.  Which I need to start doing again because there are still some games from when they were a good company that I need to play through or finish.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »
Would six more months really impact the terrible story,

Yes? Given how rushed Chapter 2 is and how abrupt the ending is? (Just like FF12's rushed/out there story for it's second half after Matsuno left?)

Stay salty it has the best gameplay in the series, though? :umad

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 09:56:45 PM »
"who gives a fuck!?"

*posts a paragraph of bitching and moaning.
Bitching  about not feeling bad about the way Kojima was treated which actually says, no I don't care that he was locked away.

So I guess nice try at not saying anything?

mormapope

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 09:59:38 PM »
Its a even bigger yes this gen with how much post launch support happens to fix and add shit to games. Six months to release realistically means at least another nine months or year of doing stuff with the game. Post launch support for MGS V amounted to adding more to the dead on arrival online mode and making FOB's more important.

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
I really felt for the guy because I was also in a completely shit situation at the job I had at the time.  Both Kojima and I then moved onto brighter and better things. 
 :playa
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »
Bitching  about not feeling bad about the way Kojima was treated which actually says, no I don't care that he was locked away.

So I guess nice try at not saying anything?

Then why are you in this thread? You either care that he was locked up or wanted everyone to know how much of a whiny baby you are by bitching about MGS V's quality.

If your argument is a game's director being separated from his team in the last six months of development doesn't affect the end product, you're a delusional idiot.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 10:03:05 PM »

Yes? Given how rushed Chapter 2 is and how abrupt the ending is? (Just like FF12's rushed/out there story for it's second half after Matsuno left?)

Who cares about Chapter 2? Chapter 1 itself is awful. Chapter 1 already has basically no story. It has terrible characterizations of characters like Big Boss and Ocelot. It waste any attempt to provide an interesting antagonist with SkullFace, all while introducing a further "lets shit on MGS3" retcon. It features some of the worst "bossess" in the entire series. It has an annoying an tedious Open World and Motherbase crap. It already has PW esque grinding for weapons and tools. It has no interesting set pieces.  It lacks pretty much all of the personality that MGS was known for.

Chapter 1 is already terrible. A Chapter 2 with no repeating hard mode missions and an expanded Chapter 51 was not going to save the game. 6 months was not going to change the game into anything better.

Yes it is the best playing MGS game. Too bad its wrapped around the worst MGS story, scenario design, mission design, and personality the series has seen.

thisismyusername

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »
Then why are you in this thread? You either care that he was locked up or wanted everyone to know how much of a whiny baby you are by bitching about MGS V's quality.

It's Rah, dude. :comeon

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 10:05:17 PM »
You were allowed to bitch and moan about FFXV before it came out. I'm allowed to voice my opinion that it doesn't matter what happen with Kojima. The game was going to be terrible anyway because it decided to follow Peace Walker's ideas.

I guess if I was a smug bitch like you, no one would bat an eye.

mormapope

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »

The easiest person to troll in all my time on the internet
  :heh
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »

The easiest person to troll in all my time on the internet
  :heh
This is your idea of trolling? Becoming flippant because I posted my dislike with how MGS5 came out. You sure you aren't the one being trolled?

mormapope

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »
You were allowed to bitch and moan about FFXV before it came out. I'm allowed to voice my opinion that it doesn't matter what happen with Kojima. The game was going to be terrible anyway because it decided to follow Peace Walker's ideas.

Hmmmm, being skeptical about a game that switched directors and was in the process of being developed or created for a decade and had poor previews...versus saying a game's director being stripped away from his team for half a year didn't affect the final game's quality.

One sounds logical, the other sounds like nonsense.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
Besides which, FF15 had ten years development time (in before "b-b-but it only took three years!" I don't care about the change in directors, it was announced ten years ago, was gestating for that decade, and now is out). After Duke Forever, it's honestly impossible to be positive about long-development games like that and it's reasonable to be skeptical it came out decent. Completely different situation from firing someone privately, telling them they can't finish their work with their team and having their team have no contact while continuing to employ them.

I say that as a proponent of the "when it's done™" method of games development back in the day. When your game has a troubled history of development hell that isn't the same as the "development hell" that is corporate caused.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »

Hmmmm, being skeptical about a game that switched directors and was in the process of being developed or created for a decade and had poor previews...versus saying a game's director being stripped away from his team for half a year didn't affect the final game's quality.

One sounds logical, the other sounds like nonsense.
Nonsense?

I mean I guess if you can't fucking think.

The design and structure of the game was already set in place. Do you think in 6 months they were going to change:

The characterization of Big Boss.
The writing for Ocelot.
The overall story.
The role of Skullface.
The game's main twist.
The lack of an actual antagonist group ala Fox Hound
The Skulls unit and how they played out
The implementation of Motherbase.
The implementation of the open world.
The roles of the new characters.
The use of tapes instead of Codecs and cutscenes ala Peace Walker.
A lack of character bossess ala Peace Walker.
Grinding for weapons and tools ala Peace Walker
The tone and atmosphere of the game which had been on display since the very first trailer
Motherbase Management ala Peace Walker.
Segmented Missions ala Peace Walker
Grindy and Boring repetitive and repeating side ops ala Peace Walker
Basically being an expansion of Peace Walker's ideas and mechanics.

Those are mine and many peoples problems with the game. You really think 6 months would have changed what was probably decided on years ago? Yes this sounds like complete nonsense. Not the idea that somehow 6 months would have lead to a completely different game.  Chapter 1 which many feel is complete is terrible on it's own and features many of the games problems already. Chapter 2 would not save the game.

Also I never said it did'nt effect the quality, I said it doesn't matter really. The game was bound to suck even if Kojima had been there those six months. The game is following PW's concepts which are in my opinion awful. You'd know that if you actually fucking read what I said and were'nt concerned with a shitty comeback. People are quick to ride Kojima, but the man hasn't made a good game in years. Plenty of things can happen to a game in six months, but I doubt they lead to a completely different game. I really doubt in those 6 months they would have completely changed the structure of the game and given Quiet a fantastic story and taken out all the perv cut scenes to actually make her a good character. Maybe in those 6 months they would have rewritten the entire story to include more Skullface. Maybe in 6 months they would have animated all those important tapes into actual cutscenes. Maybe in 6 months they would have made it so you don't have to drive around on the helio and there's actual fast travel. Maybe in 6 months they would have taken out the terrible Skulls and put in actual noteworthy, imaginative, and interesting boss battle characters like previous MGS games. Maybe in 6 months they would have changed how Motherbase works so it doesn't feel like a drag and not copied PW. Maybe the game would have been completely different.

Besides which, FF15 had ten years development time (in before "b-b-but it only took three years!" I don't care about the change in directors, it was announced ten years ago, was gestating for that decade, and now is out)
Versus XIII was announced 10 years ago. XV was announced 3 years ago. It's clear that XV is not versus.

If your argument is a game's director being separated from his team in the last six months of development doesn't affect the end product, you're a delusional idiot.
No my argument is that MGS5 was going to be bad regardless. Case in point if they finished that missing chapter. That wouldn't improve the game at all. The last few months are about optimization and feedback, not completely changing systems, structures, story, and complete overhauls. The game had already been decided on by then.

Rushed? Maybe, out there? Not at all, the final act of FFXII makes sense and is in line with what happen the entire game. So if FFXII is your example then it really hurts your argument as even with Matsuno most of what ended up in the game fell under his watch.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:46:08 PM by Rahxephon91 »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »

I have 40 hours logged and have only beat the first boss   :-\

Shame it was rushed because the gameplay systems are so polished

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »

Not that I'm aware of (Oscar [come back. :fbm ] would probably know better being actually in Japan) but even then, Kojima has/had been there for 27-28 years. He started his career there right after college. It's why he was the head of their  games development around 2003-2004-ish and leading Kojima Productions and overseeing things.

Yeah, it's a different story than rank-and-file. Usually people are invited to quit, and the knowledge that they'll not be able to work on anything or advance, or that their presence is against the will of the company is enough to get rid of them. For those that aren't, yeah, "the window seat" is the standard treatment. Let them sit there and be bored. This was more true when the Japanese economy was doing better and it was easy to have middle-managment that did literally nothing instead of almost nothing.

But Konami has been known to have a borderline personality disorder about its employees, requiring absurd levels of control and demanding subservience. It's a special hell, and if they had nothing in Kojima's contract to prevent him from working elsewhere and blabbing, they probably felt that was the easiest way to keep him under their thumb.

bluemax

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »

You can't fix that kind of stuff in 6 months though, it just isn't feasible.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 11:56:49 PM »
That was for the final six months of development...we don't know what kind of shit was going on before then.  It's pretty clear that this game was released in an unfinished state from what's missing.  It's really too bad since the game play itself was great.  We'll never get the full Metal Gear story now, but perhaps that's for the best.  It was time for KojiPro to move on.  Too many Big Boss games.
ど助平

Dennis

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
On the one hand Konami's treatment of Kojima was reprehensible.

On the other hand seeing a person GAF worships like a living god treated like the wageslave he ultimately was is a teachable moment.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 12:12:48 AM »

bluemax

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 12:13:43 AM »
That was for the final six months of development...we don't know what kind of shit was going on before then.  It's pretty clear that this game was released in an unfinished state from what's missing.  It's really too bad since the game play itself was great.  We'll never get the full Metal Gear story now, but perhaps that's for the best.  It was time for KojiPro to move on.  Too many Big Boss games.

This I will agree with. Things were probably pretty fucked before it even got to the final 6 months. I heard it wasn't great for KojiPro here in LA, and they weren't under the same conditions as KojiPro Japan was.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 12:23:36 AM »
It sucks so bad how Konami just turned to shit these last few years. They used to put out such awesome games.  :'(
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 12:38:12 AM »
It sucks so bad how Konami just turned to shit these last few years. They used to put out such awesome games.  :'(

This year I played Snatcher, Castlevania X68000, and Suikoden 5 for the first time, and re-discovered how much I love the Twinbee series. So depressing what happened to this company :(
^_^

thisismyusername

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 01:18:58 AM »

You can't fix that kind of stuff in 6 months though, it just isn't feasible.

I don't necessarily agree. "chapter 2" could've been fixed within the six months by 1) not requiring playing side missions to unlock the last 3-4 story missions and 2) those story missions wouldn't have been "hidden" at least ending-wise.

Plus, I feel with the script that Kojima had (which I guess he couldn't give the team?) they could've made an extensive FMV ending than what we got. Look at the Youtube for "Mission 51"/Going to fight Eli/Liquid for a plot-line that didn't conclude. I feel doing in-engine cutscenes for that when it was clear the game wouldn't have been able to be finished in the way Kojima wanted (with mission designs) would be possible. But I'm not all up on the development timeline in regards to doing cutscenes like that.

I mean the biggest key indicator that Kojima wasn't finished is "Chapter 3: Peace" being datamined. So in attempt to actually give closure, they could've scrapped the Chapter 2 missions (besides the ones they had... Mission 44/45 the ending two were complete fully IIRC?) that were side-missions and just focused on wrapping up the story.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
LOOK!  Is this game good or not???  Because my stupid ass bought it on Amazon last night thinking "man, I never played MGS5.  I bet it's great.  I should fix that"

I was one of the few that actually liked 4 by the way. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2016, 08:13:44 AM »
I love GDT

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2016, 08:17:25 AM »
:(

I guess I'll spend my holiday playing a shitty game.  I decide to buy one fucking game this season and my buddy Esch tells me it's a stinker.  Fuck.

I should have put that money towards Dead Rising 4.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Peace Walker is great and MGS5 is amazing.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
LOOK!  Is this game good or not???  Because my stupid ass bought it on Amazon last night thinking "man, I never played MGS5.  I bet it's great.  I should fix that"

I was one of the few that actually liked 4 by the way.
No. Not at all, but you did like MGS4....
L

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 10:14:47 AM »
To be fair, I never watched the final FMV nor most of the other ones in the game on any of my 3 playthroughs with MGS4.  I still crawled across the floor of that burning hot room 3 times though.

Peace Walker is great and MGS5 is amazing.
AV gives me hope!  Queen of Ice also told me it was great.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
I played MGS5 for about 30 hours or so before I realized I wasn't having much fun. Like Esch said, the base mechanics are super good but the framework that holds the game up is hollow. I got bored traveling around an empty map to do the missions that all felt the same.

But really the thing that broke it was Kiefer Sutherland as Snake and the lack of interesting cutscenes. The story was boring and Snake never spoke and when he did, it was never very interesting. There was just nothing driving me forward, nothing for me to look forward to.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
I think I can live with that.  One of my favorite games from last gen is Assassin's Creed 1 and I was one of the few that liked the first entry better than the sequels.  If the base gameplay mechanics are good then I don't care if the story is crap or missions are repetitive. 

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »
If you liked AC1 you will love this.

I personally thought that visiting the same location from different directions or for different purposes made them feel new again. I did skip all the retread missions in Chapter 2 though, maybe that helped. I played for 60 hours or so and loved it.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 11:36:42 AM »

Yeah, it's a different story than rank-and-file. Usually people are invited to quit, and the knowledge that they'll not be able to work on anything or advance, or that their presence is against the will of the company is enough to get rid of them. For those that aren't, yeah, "the window seat" is the standard treatment. Let them sit there and be bored. This was more true when the Japanese economy was doing better and it was easy to have middle-managment that did literally nothing instead of almost nothing.

But Konami has been known to have a borderline personality disorder about its employees, requiring absurd levels of control and demanding subservience. It's a special hell, and if they had nothing in Kojima's contract to prevent him from working elsewhere and blabbing, they probably felt that was the easiest way to keep him under their thumb.
Yeah, I mean when I see interviews where Kojima talks about what it's pretty obvious he's a terrible manager and creates scope creep like mad and has an antagonistic relationship with his team. I bet that Konami was just like "We can't have him fucking up the last few sprints otherwise it'll never get done."
que

Himu

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »
MGSV owns. I'm biased because I'm in it for the stealth gameplay these days. After MGS4 I don't play MGS for story. I disagree with others on the missions and gameplay. I think in terms of gameplay it is Metal Gear at some of its best.

Personally, MGSV haters can eat it. Most of them hate it for the story, but fans of MGS gameplay got shat on with 4. We got on V as an answer to that. They're two polar opposite games and that's fine.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
I don't care about story. Especially not anything kojima is putting out these days, he's insensible.

MGSV is a nice sandbox that controls well and gives you lots of options.... But ultimately due to passive game design almost all the missions have the exact same objectives. It's chock full of generic time wasting content. Its funny af seeing gamers trash Ubisoft games for filling up on crap content with their outposts and collectathons and meaningless base building yet when MGS bases an entire game around these concepts its classic.

Honestly id rather play far cry 3 or just cause 2 in the end, at least they're concise.

I don't have that problem. I didn't have many repetitive missions. The objectives are the same but the conditions aren't. That's the difference. Yes, it's another mission where you have to bail a prisoner out of a zone. But that's the fun. As a stealth game, it's my job to get him out of there without being caught. The condition changes. You're too focused on what you're doing (saving prisoner) as opposed to how you're doing it (using your own play style). It's like complaining about playing an RTS and why do I have to keep mining resources. Because that's the structure. How you go about doing it is the game.

Maybe the problem is you like action (first person) games as opposed to stealth games? I play MGS for the stealth. I played almost every mission just so I can S rank it and beat them without getting caught, because I legitimately like that type of gameplay. An Ubi game never came into my mind while playing it because I think Ubi games are bad. Each and every mission, I'd replay it. "How fast can I really beat this mission? Beating this mission without getting caught is hard but I'm going to try. Maybe I should learn the mission layout more. How can I get through this without killing anyone? Some of these guys need to die unfortunately" and then I no kill no alert the mission, get S, and go on to the next mission. I never had a problem with repetition. I enjoy MGS stealth that much.

The Honey Bee mission :rejoice That stealth :bow Gawd like :bow2

That Quiet sniper fight :rejoice
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:51:11 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »
I mean it's pretty great if you wanted a gigantic vr mission game

:rejoice

VR MISSIONS

:rejoice

They could make a MGS game with nothing but stealth missions with zero story and I'd fucking play the shit out of it if it had mission ranking and different play style options.

Dat stealth.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »
yeah I think that basically sums it up.  I love the VR missions.  I could totally play them for 30+ hours with a nice coat of paint.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
i was crushed when they didn't do a vr missions release for 3 or 4. such a waste of a talented team, having them work on the damn multiplayer mode
pcp

Himu

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »
i was crushed when they didn't do a vr missions release for 3 or 4. such a waste of a talented team, having them work on the damn multiplayer mode

MGS3 gameplay with vr missions would have been amazing.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
even without new maps, the challenges they could've come up with in existing maps would have been amazing. we got robbed :(
pcp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
El like there was a lot of scenario variety in the game. Every building is a new sandbox, and most of them have many possible avenues you can take to sneak in and get out.

Also you are constantly collecting Pokemon to level up your base which is fun straight through, so even repeating a mission isn't pointless

Himu

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 03:19:13 PM »
El like there was a lot of scenario variety in the game. Every building is a new sandbox, and most of them have many possible avenues you can take to sneak in and get out.

Or you can just drop right in and go guns blazing.

The idea that MGSV has no mission variety is contrary to my experience. ???
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »
I felt*

Sneaking into the airport is nothing like sneaking into the mountain village is nothing like the sniper canyon is nothing like the crashed oil tanker town is nothing like the mine is nothing like the oil platform is nothing like the cliff side catacombs is nothing like the base with the helipads is nothing like

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
I played this drunk most of the time and had a blast. Spending too much time trying to get a supply crate to crash into the extraction chopper :rejoice

It definitely rehashes a lot of shit and the UI is really funky, but overall I had a shitload of fun.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
For me, when you structure it as individual missions that you pick from a list, it ruins the flow. I preferred the structure of the previous entires where events flowed naturally from plot-point to plot-point. In MGS2 you naturally explore more and more of a single large location based on where the plot moves. In MGS3 and MGS1 you're basically always moving forward in a specific series of connected locations. MGS4 being my least favorite of that bunch because it is also very disjointed in it's structure.

Without that connecting tissue, there wasn't a lot to drive me forward. I'm just sneaking into random nondescript locations and eventually I got bored. It didn't help that I knew that story was going in some fucking awful places so I didn't even have that to look forward to.
nat

Himu

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:34 PM »
I don't care bout any of that I guess. Just want dat sneaking. Don't care about plot point to plot point. As far as I'm concerned the series is :trash in that regard besides MG2, MGS1, and MGS3. For the most part, the bread and butter of MG to me is sneaking in places. Story is extra.
IYKYK

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
I played MGS5 for about 30 hours or so before I realized I wasn't having much fun. Like Esch said, the base mechanics are super good but the framework that holds the game up is hollow. I got bored traveling around an empty map to do the missions that all felt the same.

But really the thing that broke it was Kiefer Sutherland as Snake and the lack of interesting cutscenes. The story was boring and Snake never spoke and when he did, it was never very interesting. There was just nothing driving me forward, nothing for me to look forward to.
keeping so much backstory behind voice recordings was dumb too, never felt compelled to listen to any of it