Author Topic: 2017: Unpopular opinions thread  (Read 110512 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: 2017: Unpopular opinions thread
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »
This whole "LOL white people!" thing is bad and alienating. I swear if you replaced "white" with any other race in most sentences that people write like that it would not be acceptable at all. A few weeks ago for example my wife was talking about her concerns about police brutality and was told "We don't need white people's condescension" by some women. Ignoring the fact that she's a mom of half latino kids, one of whom is autistic and might have problems interacting with a cop. Her opinion didn't matter because she's white, and the fact that she wants to look out for her bi-racial kids is condescension. I get the "white girl feminism" thing, and it's very true in cases, but unilateral dismissing is not ok. Division is what got us here. Adding more division isn't  going to get us out.
que

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »
This whole "LOL white people!" thing is bad and alienating. I swear if you replaced "white" with any other race in most sentences that people write like that it would not be acceptable at all. A few weeks ago for example my wife was talking about her concerns about police brutality and was told "We don't need white people's condescension" by some women. Ignoring the fact that she's a mom of half latino kids, one of whom is autistic and might have problems interacting with a cop. Her opinion didn't matter because she's white, and the fact that she wants to look out for her bi-racial kids is condescension. I get the "white girl feminism" thing, and it's very true in cases, but unilateral dismissing is not ok. Division is what got us here. Adding more division isn't  going to get us out.
Two pages ago you said you wanted to bring back colonialism.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
Why does it have to be white colonialism? I never said that.
que

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
lol white people

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »

I love my "lol white people" jokes. But they're definitely are people who think you can just hate on white people now for being white instead of the being "white". It's condescending, sure. But it's some dumb opinion that you can write off like a Boondocks scene(you know the one).

My sister pulls the same shit, then I point out that she's basically a liberal arts white girl who listens to The Smiths and wears Joy Division shirts(because she literally is that) and laugh at her rage.

Ya, I like my racist jokes as well.  Like all jokes, its only a problem when people mean it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »

Like there could be any other kind

lol coloured people

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »
Indian colonialism :lawd
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2017, 10:18:05 PM »
Indian colonialism :lawd

This is already in effect in most Silicon Valley buffet destinations.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »
Indians speak an Indo-European language.  Makes them as white as the Irish in my opinion. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
Indians speak an Indo-European language.  Makes them as white as the Irish in my opinion. 

So not white at all?
©@©™

« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
Ya I wouldn't describe the Irish as white.  I'd describe them as terrorists. 

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »
A lot of Vietnamese food is French so how could it be gross? My best friend is Vietnamese and every meal I have with his family is literally the best thing I've ever eaten.

Escargot. :donot

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:03 AM »
A lot of Vietnamese food is French so how could it be gross? My best friend is Vietnamese and every meal I have with his family is literally the best thing I've ever eaten.

Any food is good when you're living on moldy delivery food.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2017, 02:53:59 AM »

Pigeon is also pretty gross.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2017, 03:00:25 AM »
Snails ate fine. Frogs are good (both french & vietnamese).

Horse steak :delicious
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2017, 07:01:59 AM »
I'm late this but anyone who labels the culture who came up with bahn mi and pho as 'lower tier asian food' can go die afaic
 :maf

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2017, 07:12:57 AM »
- I'd have German beer over Belgian beer most of the time. I find that some of the latter are a bit gimmicky.
- In a night out in Brussel, I'd rather have 20 Jupiler (or Maes) than 7 Karmeliet.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
This thread made me realize I don't have unpopular opinions.

I like fake boobs and that's it. Even that may not be an unpopular opinion. On the internet it sure is though.

But why do you like fake boobs?  This needs further investigation.  :doge
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
- I'd have German beer over Belgian beer most of the time. I find that some of the latter are a bit gimmicky.
- In a night out in Brussel, I'd rather have 20 Jupiler (or Maes) than 7 Karmeliet.

I need to drink more German beer I guess. I love Belgians.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
on the subject of food and drink:

-Singaporean and Filipino food =  :yuck (except for filipino bakeries)
- Beer? Is "meh"  Everyone always says it's because I just haven't had the right beer. So I try what they suggest and am just like "meh" at the end.
que

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
I had Paulaner and Schnider Weisse (german beers) for the first time this past year and really enjoyed them. Wheat beers are right in my wheel house for some reason.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »
guacamole is gross

melted cheese is gross

avocado is gross
reckt

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
guacamole is gross

melted cheese is gross

avocado is gross

get off my planet
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
I get it. I too used to think guacamole and avacado was gross. Then I turned 15.
que

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
One of my Puerto Rican co-workers hates quacamole/avacados as well.

They're sooo good tho...

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
This whole "I'm an introvert and that's OK!" thing is really more harmful than helpful. I get it, it's good for you to be unashamed and accept who you are but you gotta work on your shit. I can't stand it when people are like "I'm INFJ! I don't interact with others well! So shut up and let me be what I am!" Then a little while later they're like "Puppy, why can't I just find someone to love me?" Well fuck, you just told everyone to get lost and respect your introvertedness. I get it, I'm introverted too, but man you gotta work on your shit, compensate for your weaknesses, be a better person than you were. You might be 10 different kinds of awesome on the inside, but if people have to wade through 22 layers of bullshit to find that out, guess what? No one is going to take the time to find out.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
on the subject of food and drink:

-Singaporean and Filipino food =  :yuck (except for filipino bakeries)
- Beer? Is "meh"  Everyone always says it's because I just haven't had the right beer. So I try what they suggest and am just like "meh" at the end.

Some people just don't like beer. That's OK. I don't like tequila, vodka, or rum.

At least you're not one of those beer-loving jerks who complains that IPA lovers are ruining their life. Fuck those clowns, they still have more choices than they would have had if craft beer had never taken off.

El Babua

« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »
I like avocado by itself more than guac. idk why, doesn't do much for me.  :doge

etiolate

« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
This whole "I'm an introvert and that's OK!" thing is really more harmful than helpful. I get it, it's good for you to be unashamed and accept who you are but you gotta work on your shit. I can't stand it when people are like "I'm INFJ! I don't interact with others well! So shut up and let me be what I am!" Then a little while later they're like "Puppy, why can't I just find someone to love me?" Well fuck, you just told everyone to get lost and respect your introvertedness. I get it, I'm introverted too, but man you gotta work on your shit, compensate for your weaknesses, be a better person than you were. You might be 10 different kinds of awesome on the inside, but if people have to wade through 22 layers of bullshit to find that out, guess what? No one is going to take the time to find out.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fuck bending over for others. I'm an introvert. I don't complain about being alone. I tried the whole pretend around others thing for years. I was less happy. I am myself, people learn to love it or not.

There's a certain point where "working on yourself" turns into "you end up not yourself" and then everyone around you can't handle you when you're real. This is a less happy existence.

And if you really are difficult to bare, then it's unfair to force that upon others.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »
Hey, if you're alone and cool with it. Fine. No problem there. But if you're a person that expects everyone to make extra efforts for you because reasons, don't come back and be like "Why am I alone?!!"
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2017, 11:32:27 PM »
Being alone let's you play more videogames and watch more anime so... :yeshrug
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
I had Paulaner and Schnider Weisse (german beers) for the first time this past year and really enjoyed them. Wheat beers are right in my wheel house for some reason.

Yeah, I think German beers are pretty good and quality even right at the bottom of the ladder. Löwenbrau has some good variants even, though the name escapes me. Hard to go bad with most of the major Bavarian brands in particular and a lot of variety all around, even some of ubiquitous brands (those sponsoring a third or half the bars in a particular city) in a region can be above the minimum. Then again I'm a big fan of white and unfiltered blonde beers.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2017, 02:59:46 AM »
I really don't like German white beers. I'll take a Hoegaarden or Wieckse Witte over anything from Germany.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2017, 05:41:14 AM »
I still think avo is gross

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »

avocado  :yuck
guacamole :yuck
mayo  :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »

avocado  :yuck
guacamole :yuck
mayo  :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck
I dunno if it's the lemon or lime juice, but it makes guacamole look like it has the consistency of avo mixed with cum.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fuck bending over for others. I'm an introvert. I don't complain about being alone. I tried the whole pretend around others thing for years. I was less happy. I am myself, people learn to love it or not.

There's a certain point where "working on yourself" turns into "you end up not yourself" and then everyone around you can't handle you when you're real. This is a less happy existence.

And if you really are difficult to bare, then it's unfair to force that upon others.

Yeah, fuck that shit.  When I was much younger, I kept trying to fit in and didn't happen.  (It didn't help that I went to a school filled with preppy little cac-assholes, either.)  Then one day I just said "fuck 'em" and life got much better.  I also ended up making way more friends with like-minded people I found. 

Had the same shit happen when I went on JET over in Japan.  Lots of little cliques filled with douchebags.  I tried to hang out with them, at various events, but just felt uncomfortable as fuck.  Stopped and made some of my own friends. 

Being introverted doesn't mean you have to be alone, however.  It didn't stop me from dating and getting married.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
-introvert
-doesnt like guac
-likes nintendo

all fits

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:09 AM »
Oh man, totally forgot about these, which is certain to rile up a lot of the Bore: Taco Bell is gross and the Saints Row series is played out.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Oh I don't think we'll disagree that Taco bell is gross. It's just a good kinda gross.
que

Fifstar

« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »

Eh, I doubt that people can change so much about themselves just by wanting and working on it enough as gets suggested by modern society and psychology. You can work on yourself, become better at coping with your problems or become better at developing some kind of public persona but most people can't fundamentally change who they are. Especially as people get older. That doesn't mean people don't change. Just that it isn't related to conscious decisions to change oneself most of the time.

I do agree tho that you can't play the "I just am who am am" card and then expect people to go the extra mile towards you/be tolerant of your dumb behaviour. Especially not if you'Re citing something as dumb as an INTJ test as proof.

Maybe you're right insofar that it is easier to accept somebodies quirks/difficult personality if they at least try to work on themselves and not just go "hey, I'm a weird dude, accept me how I am."
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
There's a point where too much hops can ruin a beer, but it takes a lot of hops to reach that point.

For me it's one hop.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
There's a point where too much hops can ruin a beer, but it takes a lot of hops to reach that point.

For me it's one hop.

-introvert
-doesnt like hops
-likes nintendo

all fits

Tasty

« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
At least you're not one of those beer-loving jerks who complains that IPA lovers are ruining their life. Fuck those clowns, they still have more choices than they would have had if craft beer had never taken off.

I am such a clown.

Fuck off IPA hipsters!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »
only gross beer is when its smoked or with whisky

archnemesis

« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
Rauchbier is indeed disgusting.

Tasty

« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

For me it's one hop.

-introvert
-doesnt like hops
-likes nintendo

all fits

-idiot
-is a jackass
-likes cocks

all fits

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
When it comes to beer, I'm pretty diverse with what I drink. Don't like the American macrobrew pisswater, or anything excessively malty or hoppy (some malt, some hops are OK and I do like IPAs).
^_^

etiolate

« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »
I don't dislike IPAs. I'm just tired of them. I do like wit's tho.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »

For me it's one hop.

-introvert
-doesnt like hops
-likes nintendo

all fits

-idiot
-is a jackass
-likes cocks

all fits

But enough about you, Andy. :-*

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
Hey, if you're alone and cool with it. Fine. No problem there. But if you're a person that expects everyone to make extra efforts for you because reasons, don't come back and be like "Why am I alone?!!"

This was me for most of my teenage years.  Turns out I was a lot more extroverted than I assumed I was.  I still consider myself an introvert but I do need a social life to feel functional as a human being.  It didn't help then that I was an awkward dork and every social interaction felt uncomfortable.  After feeling more comfortable in my own skin, getting laid regularly, lost weight, etc. I felt much more sociable.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
Also I wouldn't describe myself as introverted. I thrive in social situations pretty well. I was much more introverted before coming to Boston, but after about 2-3 years of puttin' in that work to build a social circle it's really payed off. Have a ton of people I enjoy spending time with, going out, discussing things.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
- This women's march on washington will dissapate as we settle into the slog and it becomes less fashionable
- Communisim doesn't work (hold on for a sec for the unpopular bit) it doesn't work for the exact same reason capitalism doesn't work. People.  The main difference is that with Capitalism people are distracted by the dreams and paying off their debt. They're really not that different.
- We will never attain a cheap/reusable energy source because when we do the powerful will shut it down or make unworkable.
- Every single successful person I know likes to think they got their on their own merits but every single one of them would not be where they are now with different luck.  They all hate to hear this.
- Disney being the holder for all these different brands is a actually not such a bad thing.
que

PlayDat

« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »
Whining about people being “too sensitive” is it’s own form of sensitivity.  The biggest difference is that unlike most others, it’s usually fueled by ignorance.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
I don't like any beer at all
rub

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2017, 02:53:25 PM »
There's no alcoholic beverages that are pleasant to drink in the same way tea, soda or other flavoured drinks are. I only drink merlot because i'm over the 'got used to it' hump and I believe it to have positive effects on digestion in moderation

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »
Whining about people being “too sensitive” is it’s own form of sensitivity.  The biggest difference is that unlike most others, it’s usually fueled by ignorance.
Eh, being like "Some one wrote Trump 2016 in chalk on campus! I feel threatened!!" and being called out for being silly doesn't make one ignorant. Too many people are like "You are not allowed to feel offended at my feeling offended!" It is in essence saying "You're not allowed to invalidate my feelings, so I'm going to invalidate yours). And that is used to give people carte blanche where everything is a valid argument. It's the kind of argument stopping fallacy that leads to the bubble that let Trump win. Keep in mind there is some true ignorance out there (all lives matter and others) but telling everyone that their offense at yours is ignorant is in essence making everything into a mountain, so any sense of scale is lost to anyone not in your inner circle. Like I keep saying it's a the Syndrome syndrome, where everything is offensive, nothing is.
que