Author Topic: Yakuza/Like A Dragon/Judgement Thread Of There's A New Game Couple Of Months  (Read 92088 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Yakuza thread of there's a game every couple of months
« Reply #540 on: August 29, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
What the fuck Yakuza is finally good now. Hell yeah
fat

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #541 on: August 29, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
This is an interesting turn at least.  I'll hold off passing judgment until I see it in action.

I finally got Y0 because of the PSN summer sale.  It'll be a while before I do a full play through but I'll get in far enough to play the Sega arcade games.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #542 on: August 29, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
finally they get rid of that shitty ass combat system? yakuza cummies into my boi pussy  :-* :-[

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #543 on: August 29, 2019, 08:20:42 AM »
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1166942120847925248

well at least they'll walk it back if people hate it (duh) and won't just drop the series

kingv

« Reply #544 on: August 29, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
Should have just hollared at your boys at Platinum to fix the combat.

I’ll still play it though... just not sure what to expect from it. I wonder if it means you will have a party?

Edit: duh, right there on the screen.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:03:05 AM by kingv »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #545 on: August 29, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
So used to the other way around- turn based going action, that this is a breath of fresh air.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #546 on: August 29, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »
:leon

Himu

« Reply #547 on: August 29, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
AAHAHAHAHAHA

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE ACTION FANS

KISS MY ASS

AHAHAHAHA YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW

THIS KARMIC JUSTICE FOR FF7 REMAKE.

NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS.

BAHAHAHAHA
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #548 on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:39 PM »
So many turn based games have gone action, it's about time to know what it's like. Kiss our ass :jeb

I love this! :dead

edit: and the best part? The very best part? Most of the people crying have been playing Yakuza games for all of a year. :dead I'm sorry bruh, but this situation has me fucking DEAD. :rofl
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:27:01 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #549 on: August 29, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »
but i didn't want ff7 to change either ???

lol at saying people that didn't play the games long enough (dumbest gatekeeping ever?) shouldn't care...cool i guess. what a weird couple of posts.

kingv

« Reply #550 on: August 29, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
I don’t mind turn based, but the biggest potentiAl problem is see is that there are lot of fights in Yakuza. Turn based fights will take longer, and the encounter rate could really drag the game’s pace down.

Edit; most of the good stuff in Yakuza is the weirdly earnest tone of the main story mixed with bizarro sub quests + the weird characters and story beats.

As long as they keep those items it will still probably be fine.

Edit 2:... this is them getting a switch port ready.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #551 on: August 29, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
that's my main concern. if they redo the yakuza game to work like an open-ish world jrpg and not just plopping in turn based combat to yakuza that would be better but then why make it a mainline series game? the whole thing is just strange and not helped by the lack of details.

Himu

« Reply #552 on: August 29, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
but i didn't want ff7 to change either ???

lol at saying people that didn't play the games long enough (dumbest gatekeeping ever?) shouldn't care...cool i guess. what a weird couple of posts.

It's just funny to me.

There's nothing wrong with being a fan of it for a year. But it doesn't change the hilarity of someone who has been a fan of Yakuza for a year, isn't used to Yak fatigue, re-using a location for literally a DECADE, the same battle system since the first one in 2006 (or 2005 in JP version), a never ending story for Kiryu, on top of making these games on pretty much a ANNUAL BASIS. They got into the series right when the devs were tired as shit making what they had been making.

And they're pissed that the devs are changing it to a turn based jrpg.

I'm sorry bro. I'm not gatekeeping, and I'm happy the franchise does well in the west now and everything, but that doesn't change the fact the situation is utterly fucking hilarious to me.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #553 on: August 29, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
if nothing else gotta respect the balls of them changing it up in the opposite way of the entire industry but damn its annoying cause yakuza to me always was the best evolution of beat em up games (in a good way, aka not final fight streetwise) and there's not really a lot of games in that style with the good story and sidequests and such.

most games go the platinum/dmc character action style or arcadey 2d-style which is fine but not engaging in the same way to me.

however you are right that eventually the team was gonna get sick of this shit so they probably had to change up the game for their own sanity.

but also fuuuuck make judgement in that style and not yakuza :maf

Himu

« Reply #554 on: August 29, 2019, 01:05:18 PM »
If anything else, by the time Yak 3-5 are out and people can play all of these games hopefully they'll understand why the developers decided to do this.

Yakuza fatigue is REAL.
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #555 on: August 29, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
I get Yakuza fatigue for sure... the games are all really similar, but the battle system on dragon engine really isn’t that old. Imo, it really isn’t the same as the one on Y0 or Kiwami.

Arguably it is worse, but not the same.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #556 on: August 29, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
5 and 6 i didn't play yet so i'll get to those soon enough and that will keep me busy for a while i bet. i just never got 5 cause no physical release and having other shit to play at the time, don't remember if that also had a localization kerfluffle like 3 did.

either way i guess i have two more game to go through so we'll see how i feel about more in the same style after that :doge

and of course all of this is even more delayed cause who knows when any of these things will hit PC :lol

Himu

« Reply #557 on: August 29, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
I just find it funny. You don't see nearly as much outcry for making FF7R an action game. You get plenty of "it's not FOR you!!" though. And now you flip it and 4chan and other site are losing their collective minds.

Admit it, Nacho.

That's funny.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #558 on: August 29, 2019, 01:12:54 PM »
Also yeah you got plenty of Yak games to play.

Did you play 4? One of the more refreshing ones.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #559 on: August 29, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
yeah its the kind of thing that would be hilarious if i wasn't so annoyed by it. :lol at least with ff7r there's the 1500 releases of the old version to go back to.

but i guess with this it can be the kiryu era vs the kasuga era or w/e. my understanding is that there was never supposed to be 7 kiryu games anyway so they've probably been planning something like this for a while.

Also yeah you got plenty of Yak games to play.

Did you play 4? One of the more refreshing ones.
yep played and really liked 4, having the different missions for the characters was a nice change of pace, and 5 sounds like it took that to anther level so that should be fun. them sorta "backporting" that idea to 0 and fleshing out majima's past was really cool to see. the zombie one was a neat side story too.

i haven't played redone 2 either, just the original version. 2 is my favorite so once that hits pc it'll be nice to revisit it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:24:46 PM by nachobro »

paprikastaude

« Reply #560 on: August 29, 2019, 01:18:13 PM »
Hopefully Atlus helps them with a good battle system. And they need less encounters if it isn't a fast system. Since a flop will cancel the style altogether, they need to get it right on the first try this time.

Either way, similar to Resident Evil 7 going first person, I can immediately think of many ways they can enhance the series with fresh takes while also keeping the general essence. Can't wait.

kingv

« Reply #561 on: August 29, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
I am ultimately open-minded about the change.

One potential positive is that Yakuza is theoretically a game about being in a gang, but it’s game design is such that you are almost always a lone wolf... so you never really feel like you are the chairman, or ex-chairman, or whatever.

The idea of a Yakuza game where you actually control your family, and bring people out on missions with you, and maybe have some kind of Fire Emblem type of development system for their relationships, specialties, and load outs could be interesting if well done.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #562 on: August 29, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Don’t care that FFVII Remake is action.

Don’t care that Yakuza 7 is turn based.

It feels good to be open to games doing whatever.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #563 on: August 29, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »
They do have traditional Yakuza, isn't it called Judgment?
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #564 on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »
fuck the police :hmph

Himu

« Reply #565 on: August 29, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »

One potential positive is that Yakuza is theoretically a game about being in a gang, but it’s game design is such that you are almost always a lone wolf... so you never really feel like you are the chairman, or ex-chairman, or whatever.

The idea of a Yakuza game where you actually control your family, and bring people out on missions with you, and maybe have some kind of Fire Emblem type of development system for their relationships, specialties, and load outs could be interesting if well done.

In most Yakuza games, Kiryu isn't, at least officially, associated with the Tojo. So technically he's a former gangster.

This could be the Yakuza game that's actually about being a yakuza. Looking forward to it.

Don’t care that FFVII Remake is action.

Don’t care that Yakuza 7 is turn based.

It feels good to be open to games doing whatever.

Do you like everything?

Or just everything except Nintendo? :teehee ;)

fuck the police :hmph

lmao at Nacho going ACAB
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:57:15 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #566 on: August 29, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »
actually condemned and virtua cop are good cop games so now i'm torn :(

i'll eventually get to judgement when it's on pc but its the kind of thing where i can see yakuza gangsters beating the shit out of each other in the street but a cop/lawyer/detective bashing some dudes head in with a bike is a wtf kinda of thing. i'm sure it'll take me like 3 fights to get over myself though.

i did see that one of the fight enders in judgement is yagami pushing a dude into a car filled with yakuza who then kidnap the enemy for dirtying their ride :lol

Himu

« Reply #567 on: August 29, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
bro a cop jrpg would be dope

imagine a cop jrpg where you're in japan. they don't have guns so you use your cop kung fu instead :lol
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #568 on: August 29, 2019, 02:05:40 PM »
Do you like everything?

No. I just am not cynical and don’t go off the deep end when game developers don’t make things the way 16 year old me would have wanted them.

Himu

« Reply #569 on: August 29, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
Do you like everything?

No. I just am not cynical and don’t go off the deep end when game developers don’t make things the way 16 year old me would have wanted them.

It was a playful jab. :beli

You are so humorless.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #570 on: August 29, 2019, 02:14:13 PM »
Ok.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #571 on: August 29, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »
AAHAHAHAHAHA

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE ACTION FANS

KISS MY ASS

AHAHAHAHA YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW

THIS KARMIC JUSTICE FOR FF7 REMAKE.

NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS.

BAHAHAHAHA

:nerds
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #572 on: August 29, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »

In 4 you would gang up with homeless guys to raid some building, but in the end you'd really only fight by yourself. I think you can do these scenarios much better now. Also there already was an increased emphasis on bonding with strangers. Yet for example in Kiwami 2, it felt way too convoluted to really trigger team attacks. Also, female NPCs can now be playable finally.

thetylerrob

« Reply #573 on: August 29, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
As a Yakuza fan since release in 2005 (#gatekeeping), I'm kinda okay with this because the dragon engine combat sucks way worse than the old games, but I can see it being really bad also.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #574 on: August 29, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »

imagine a cop jrpg where you're in japan. they don't have guns so you use your cop kung fu instead :lol

:confused

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cops do carry guns- they just don't have to use them very much compared to a lot of other countries.  :)
[close]
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #575 on: August 29, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »

:confused

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cops do carry guns- they just don't have to use them very much compared to a lot of other countries.  :)
[close]

Ah. I was thinking of UK. :lol Which would be funnier. Hot Fuzz the game :rejoice
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #576 on: August 29, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1166942120847925248

well at least they'll walk it back if people hate it (duh) and won't just drop the series

More studios should say something like that. "We know this is a change from what you're used to, and we'll go back if you don't like it, but we hope you like the new style". I can respect that a lot more than changing things up and getting mad at audiences for not following along or it killing a series for failing.

Kind of reminds of how they went back to VF2-style, after VF3, with VF4. 
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #577 on: August 29, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »
 :rofl

At new Yakuza being a turn-based rpg.

I mean I'm fine with it since I like rpgs, but boooy is that gonna alienate the western audience that's been helping the series. I wouldn't be surprised if it hurts Japan sales too. But yeah they'll just go back after. I'm in the camp that punching someone in the face and throwing him in the river will be less satisfying as a menu command.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #578 on: August 29, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »

There's Crime Crackers, a super early PS1 release from Media Vision of Wild Arms fame, it's a dungeon crawler/FPS/RPG hybrid and not a very good one apparently.
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #579 on: August 29, 2019, 04:51:57 PM »
Is the gameplay change really going to alienate western audiences?

Persona 5 has done pretty great and that first screw game me Persona vibes. But if anything has really pushed Persona here, it’s probably not 100% the gameplay. The sense of style, writing, characters, setting, and general vibe is what has probably made Persona popular then other jrpgs.

Now obviously despite some genre aping, Yakuza was never a jrpg. But I don’t know, it’s not like I see the gameplay of the series being praised. It works and is fun enough. There’s not a lot of brawlers like it out there. But usually it’s the story, setting, content, writing, visuals, and so on that have really pushed the series here. I didn’t see a lot of articles about 0’s gameplay. I saw articles about its story. I didn’t see articles about 6’s gameplay. More so the story, the world, and all the content crammed into the game. Yeah being an action game probably makes it an easier sell, but it’s not like Yakuza’s brand of action was super popular to begin with.

If they make a good jrpg and don’t falter with the story, world, and content I don’t see why it can’t be a success here. Polished jrpgs that don’t look like they have the budget of $5 and star nothing but little girls aren’t sales death warrant. Currently excellent Japanese games are respected and rewarded with decent sales.

Himu

« Reply #580 on: August 29, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »
Is the gameplay change really going to alienate western audiences?

Persona 5 has done pretty great and that first screw game me Persona vibes.

In the past did you not say that Persona is a bad example to use to make a case that turn based rpgs can sell while defending FFVII turned into an action rpg?

Now obviously despite some genre aping, Yakuza was never a jrpg.

Actually I'd argue it is.

It has random encounters, leveling up, buying in shops, a town, a hub. They just mask it behind the beat em up shit. Battles even take place with a transition screen in the original games. Yakuza has more in common with rpgs than most hybrids which is why the shift to jrpg isn't that much of a departure.

That said I won't have a problem if someone says it's not an rpg either. I see both opinions as valid.

And back when Yakuza came out it was very much praised for its gameplay. It had lots to do, variety, things to unlock. It had a "I wonder what kind of special move this weapon does" appeal to it to the point where you wanted to try out every weapon in the game just to see their Heat.  I really liked the gameplay in the Yakuza games before it became old hat. Some of the boss fights were legitimately dope, like Nishiki vs Kiryu or any Majima boss fight. The gameplay was a feature and asset the story. The amount of moves Kiryu can unlock, between side stepping, counters, combos, just made for a very fun formula.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:10:21 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #581 on: August 29, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
Yes because it makes sense to compare Persona 5 doing maybe now 3 million sales and costing nowhere near the budget of a main line FF game. As an example that FFVII Remake, a clearly expensive AAA game with high sales goals, should be turn based.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #582 on: August 29, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »
Pretty much every game has a level gauge thing. Random battles are the only thing that feel jrpgish. A “hub” city, leveling up things, buying stuff from shops. It’s like every modern open world game.

Himu

« Reply #583 on: August 29, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
Yes because it makes sense to compare Persona 5 doing maybe now 3 million sales and costing nowhere near the budget of a main line FF game. As an example that FFVII Remake, a clearly expensive AAA game with high sales goals, should be turn based.

A turn based game doing 3 million would have been unheard of last gen that isn't named Final Fantasy.

It's also bizarre you're making this argument given the original FFVII sold 10-11 million copies, FFX sold 9 million. FFXIII sold 7 million at last count.

If you have evidence a turn based game sells 3 million it makes no sense to make the argument of sales towards FFVII having an action rpg system. Throw in the history of FF sales and your argument is self defeating and contradictory.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #584 on: August 29, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
Yeah if you ignore context.

Himu

« Reply #585 on: August 29, 2019, 05:18:08 PM »
What's the context? You're still making an argument that a turn based game can sell, while also making an argument that being turn based would limit another game - a game called Final Fantasy VII - from selling. It's hilarious and contradictory. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:33:56 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #586 on: August 29, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »

Yeah let’s compare the Gaming landscapes of 97 and 2001 to 2019. Hey I guess according to you FFVII Remake also dosent need voice acting because VII, VIII, and IX sold well.

Like this is stupid. You want to compare a niche series to a mainstream one and then your proof of arguments is “well 10 years ago blah blah blah”. That was ten years ago. VIII Remake is coming out in the development and market realities of 2020. Those realities that also decided that XV should be an action game. A move that probably helped that game to great success.

It makes little sense to compare Persona 5 to FF. Persona 5 trades on it self being JRPG as fuck. It trades on being the most Japanese game possible. FF is a jrpg for the world. It may have anime inspired characters and art direction but they don’t look anywhere as clearly anime as P5. It is a game for a world audience. Budgeted for that as well. We’re talking about two niche series here and you want to compare them to FF. How fucking dumb is that? Persona 5 reaching 3 million sales world wide is probably the peak of that series. A Yakuza selling that would be a miracle. A mainline FF selling just that would be a bomb. Does scale not make sense to you?

Like go ahead, name a turn based game of recent times that has anywhere the budget or sales goals of a modern main FF game. Better yet name a AAA game like FF that dosent have action or at least real time combat. I can’t think of a game at the same level of production of VII Remake that dosent. The closet is DQ and that’s probably an exception.

You also miss the point that no one is saying a turn based FF wouldn’t do well. What people are saying is that an action rpg makes complete sense when your big rpgs are action games. It even makes more sense when you realize even action games have rpg elements now. These entire genres are merging and clearly most of the gaming population is fine, interested, and/or likes this approach. Would the Witcher 3 done as well if it was turn based? Would Mass Effect been a big hit if it didn’t ape cover shooter mechanics that were the trend back then? Probably not. So I’m not sure why you can’t understand that the people who want VII Remake to be as big as possible have decided to make an action based system. I don’t even know why you find this troubling as a fan. When the series has constantly dabbled with real time elements. The ATB is not turn based completely, XII offered actual movement with its atb. XIII is not turn based at all and is largely timed based. XIV is an mmo and has far more action elements then XI. XV is an action game with wait elements. X was basicly the last time the series was ever 100% tun based and its an exception in the series itself. It’s sequel dosent even have the same battle system. So what of VII Remake being action? It’s not even incorrect for the series itself.

You love comparing this to REMake but always forget that ReMake came out in what 2002 when that type of survival horror game was still being made and was popular enough. Then casually make up shit about RE2 Remake. A modern remake that stayed true to the survival roots yet because it was a modern AAA game in 2029 realized it probably needed to play like an over the shoulder game. So I don’t know how that makes sense to you, but action based VII Remake dosent. Where it also seems like they still have materia and wait modes and dosent go to far where it’s not an actual rpg.

Persona 5 did great. The series has strong word of mouth. Built up from the gaming communities hype of 3 and 4. You’re right a Japanese turn based game wouldn’t have done as well last gen. You know what else wouldn’t have? Fucking Yakuza 0. Probably the this gen is not last gen. Japanese games on a whole are doing better. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:48:07 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #587 on: August 29, 2019, 05:46:11 PM »
More Japanese kung-fu cop RPG dicussion plz
ど助平

Chooky

« Reply #588 on: August 29, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
-
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:04:29 PM by Chooky »

paprikastaude

« Reply #589 on: August 29, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »
Word is going around, the new city might be three times the size of Kamurocho.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #590 on: August 29, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »
Wonder how full on jrpg this is.

Himu

« Reply #591 on: August 30, 2019, 12:13:07 AM »
Word is going around, the new city might be three times the size of Kamurocho.

(Image removed from quote.)

FUck yes
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #592 on: August 30, 2019, 12:21:55 AM »

Yeah let’s compare the Gaming landscapes of 97 and 2001 to 2019. Hey I guess according to you FFVII Remake also dosent need voice acting because VII, VIII, and IX sold well.

Like this is stupid. You want to compare a niche series to a mainstream one and then your proof of arguments is “well 10 years ago blah blah blah”. That was ten years ago. VIII Remake is coming out in the development and market realities of 2020. Those realities that also decided that XV should be an action game. A move that probably helped that game to great success.

It makes little sense to compare Persona 5 to FF. Persona 5 trades on it self being JRPG as fuck. It trades on being the most Japanese game possible. FF is a jrpg for the world. It may have anime inspired characters and art direction but they don’t look anywhere as clearly anime as P5. It is a game for a world audience. Budgeted for that as well. We’re talking about two niche series here and you want to compare them to FF. How fucking dumb is that? Persona 5 reaching 3 million sales world wide is probably the peak of that series. A Yakuza selling that would be a miracle. A mainline FF selling just that would be a bomb. Does scale not make sense to you?

Like go ahead, name a turn based game of recent times that has anywhere the budget or sales goals of a modern main FF game. Better yet name a AAA game like FF that dosent have action or at least real time combat. I can’t think of a game at the same level of production of VII Remake that dosent. The closet is DQ and that’s probably an exception.

You also miss the point that no one is saying a turn based FF wouldn’t do well. What people are saying is that an action rpg makes complete sense when your big rpgs are action games. It even makes more sense when you realize even action games have rpg elements now. These entire genres are merging and clearly most of the gaming population is fine, interested, and/or likes this approach. Would the Witcher 3 done as well if it was turn based? Would Mass Effect been a big hit if it didn’t ape cover shooter mechanics that were the trend back then? Probably not. So I’m not sure why you can’t understand that the people who want VII Remake to be as big as possible have decided to make an action based system. I don’t even know why you find this troubling as a fan. When the series has constantly dabbled with real time elements. The ATB is not turn based completely, XII offered actual movement with its atb. XIII is not turn based at all and is largely timed based. XIV is an mmo and has far more action elements then XI. XV is an action game with wait elements. X was basicly the last time the series was ever 100% tun based and its an exception in the series itself. It’s sequel dosent even have the same battle system. So what of VII Remake being action? It’s not even incorrect for the series itself.

You love comparing this to REMake but always forget that ReMake came out in what 2002 when that type of survival horror game was still being made and was popular enough. Then casually make up shit about RE2 Remake. A modern remake that stayed true to the survival roots yet because it was a modern AAA game in 2029 realized it probably needed to play like an over the shoulder game. So I don’t know how that makes sense to you, but action based VII Remake dosent. Where it also seems like they still have materia and wait modes and dosent go to far where it’s not an actual rpg.

Persona 5 did great. The series has strong word of mouth. Built up from the gaming communities hype of 3 and 4. You’re right a Japanese turn based game wouldn’t have done as well last gen. You know what else wouldn’t have? Fucking Yakuza 0. Probably the this gen is not last gen. Japanese games on a whole are doing better.

The voice acting argument is a total straw man as I never said that and is a complete hypothetical.

Here are the facts:

- Final Fantasy VII Remake is still Final Fantasy
- There are no turn based rpgs being made of that budget

You are correct. But the original FFVII was also the most expensive game of all time in its day and it was a turn based rpg with a multi million dollar campaign behind it.

Yes, the market is  different, but Final Fantasy has survived despite that shift. In fact, Final Fantasy, aside from Pokemon and until recently Persona, was the ONLY turn based jrpg that sold 7, 8, 9, 10 million units.

Your argument would be logical that "there are no turn based games being made of that budget" if we were talking about a no name franchise.

But we aren't. We are talking about Final Fantasy. And not just any Final Fantasy. The remake of a Final Fantasy that had a multi-million dollar marketing campaign and had a turn based battle system.

Then you're arguing Yakuza 7 can sell because Persona 5 proved turn based rpgs can sell well?

You're jumping through hoops. Your logic is entirely circular.

How circular? Yakzua 0 is an aside. My bringing up Persona 5's sales is more bigger than "Japanese games are more popular now." Persona 5 has now transcended jrpgs and joined the trifecta now making it a quadra. For the entirety of the genres history 200k was the best most jrpgs could amass in America. Now we're talking about a series that is going towards selling 3m worldwide. That is more than "Japanese games are more popular now". What ultimately makes your argument circular is how you argue,"Japanese games are more popular now" while also in the same post arguing why a turn based FFVII remake can't sell when FFVII is probably the most famous console jrpg of all time and you can't get more Japanese than that.

Circular logic.

It's less that you're open to anything, and more that you're just loyal to certain franchises and refuse to admit it. You're a fanboy. That's fine. But you refuse to admit that and use a poor wall of logic to defend your fanboy preferences while also demeaning and be condescending or even much less understanding to other people's preferences. Which makes you more than a fanboy now. Now, it just makes you an asshole.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:32:33 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #593 on: August 30, 2019, 12:40:09 AM »
Anyways can I give the new guy a haircut?

Is there actual footage of the combat because I haven’t seen it? Granted my phone network is pretty blah lately (thanks AT&T). I skipped around the trailer and just saw some story shit.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #594 on: August 30, 2019, 12:51:09 AM »
First of all.

Fuck you.

You are one of the most whinny fanboys I have ever seen on gaf, the bore, wherever. You constantly complain about every single series you love, bitch that they don’t do what you want, and then act like you are the most biggest fan ever. Like you claiming that people who played Yakuza for a year....even brining it up sums that exact kind of fan you are.

You do not know what my taste or opinions are and you are the last person that gets to call anyone a fanboy. Not when there are years of agonizing Shenmue posts from you.

2nd, my logic is the most simple logic to follow.

Action rpgs=Easier to market.

Turn based=More niche.

Why the fuck would I compare FF to Persona. Why would you compare Yakuza to FF.  You simply can’t wrap your head around simple market fact. All anyone has to do is really look at ReMake 2. Why wasn’t a multimillion AAA Remake a tank controls, fixed camera angle horror game. Because Capcom is not an idiot and knows an over the shoulder action game is the most accessible. And this is in a world where ports of Remake 1 and 0 sold well.

It is the exact situation here. An action FFVII is probably going to do better then a turn based. It’s even more logical as fucking FFXV exists.

You want to compare Persona 5, but that’s stupid. Persona 5’s 3 million is well below the sales goals of fucking FFVII Remake.

Again your argument doesn’t make any damn sense. No one said a turn based game couldn’t sell. What is being said is there is probably a ceiling.

And I brought up Persona 5 because as a niche series, it’s in the same ballpark as Yakuza. You know what’s not in the same ballpark?

Final Fantasy VII.

Oh but you see a turn based FFVII sold millions in 1997.

Yes, in 1997 where we didn’t have action games like Devil May Cry, open worlds hadn’t been cracked open by GTA3, rpgs weren’t trying to be Skyrim, third person shooters had lock on, Bungie didn’t show people how console FPS worked on console, and arpgs weren’t far removed from Ys gameplay of running into enemies.

It’s almost as if times have changed and games exceptions, development trends, tastes, and so on have changed.

Oh but Persona 5 did well.

Yeah and?

Uncharted does well. Dosent mean the trend isn’t open world games or multiplayer focused games and not a risk in single player focused narrative games.

Devil May Cry 5 has done about as well as Persona 5. So I guess God of War should go back to it’s more combo heavy gameplay. Oh wait it probably switched to more Souls influenced because that’s the current trend and oh gee probably was expected to bettter and did better then DMC ever would have.

It's less that you're open to anything, and more that you're just loyal to certain franchises and refuse to admit it. You're a fanboy. That's fine. But you refuse to admit that and use a poor wall of logic to defend your fanboy preferences while also demeaning and be condescending or even much less understanding to other people's preferences. Which makes you more than a fanboy now. Now, it just makes you an a
Ive never seen someone project so hard in my life.

The reality here is because like things you don’t or are fine with them, you feel the need to condescend and be an asshole to them.

Because you know if what you said was true, I’d still like Metal Gear...
But whatever I don’t give a shit. You’re on ignore.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:00:15 AM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #595 on: August 30, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »
hm i guess the new style isn't too bad

Himu

« Reply #596 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
Since it’s DQ the bike probably works as a multi hit lmao. That’s probably the whip of the game.

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #597 on: August 30, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »
It’s Pokémon.

Himu

« Reply #598 on: August 30, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
I’m not talking about the image. The meme made me think how the bike would work with a turn based system. Since they say they’re inspired by DQ I think the bike might work like a whip, which is a weapon that hits most enemies in a line. Or it could be like the boomerang and hit every enemy in a line. The bike in Yak is fantastic for crowd clearing so it’d make a hilarious transition for that. Plus there’s the added hilarity of the potential of maybe being able to keep the bike in your pocket and you whip it out.

Only confusing thing is, how does the system work? DQ is all about formation lines since it’s traditionally in first person. In that battle system image the characters are all across the map lmao. I’ve also never played a third person Dragon Quest inspired game. I gotta see a video of this. :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #599 on: August 30, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »
I don’t think the battle system is like DQ. That formation is too chaotic. Ha. Looks more like Grandia/FFX-2/Persona 3-5 tbh. Def not a static rpg system where characters stick to their lane but one where they chase the enemy and change placement. There’s also a possibility of it being a hybrid. Like Valkyrie Profile 2, FFXII, or an srpg. Those are games that allow movement on top of turn based combat.

I gotta see a video of this.

Since Yakuza games are so environmental I think movement would be best. You can’t have a Yakuza game without grabbing some poor suckers head and making it hit a wall. :lol I can imagine the combat will be very experimental despite their initial announcement because that’s probably the only logical way to make how Yakuza works into a turn based rpg. I always said the next step for turn based rpg combat is using the environment. Games like VP2 flirted with it. It’ll be interesting how this works.

I need a video. Lol

Really hoping for a hybrid. :hyper
IYKYK