Author Topic: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard  (Read 11165 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
yeah i didn't make it clear, but I liked the second to last level. it wasn't scary, but it had the best map layout, and the way they had you to through it like you described was cool. I feel like the game doesn't get enough appreciation for designing the most scripted areas to be optional via the tapes.the tapes were fantastic, but keeping them separate will make speedruns and replays a lot less tedious.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:13:43 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
I'm reading through the thread now and I think I missed some of the tapes :(

I got the opening one, the mia old house one, and the happy birthday one.  What are the other two?  Will just youtube them since don't feel like replaying the game yet.  I did load an older save so I could play around with the magnum and other weapons I never used and I tried out the unlock Albert gun and damnnnn, that is a fun handgun. 

Wait I'm checking trophies and I got the "watch all videotapes in a single playthrough" but Wrath's post mentions 5 videos?  I...don't remember the other two?  Oh wait, one is the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ship segment,
[close]

forgot that was an actual tape since it was so lengthy.  Remaining one is...?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:20:48 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
Also, game's cool but this engine fucking sucks on PS4.  The load times were insane at the start and between tapes.  I timed it once and it took 3+ minutes to load the game.  I'm pretty sure that's the longest loading of any game I can think of on PS4/PS3.  I would go read some gaf or something while I booted my save for the first time.

And on top of that I had tons of texture load-in issues.  When I'd run into a room everything would have the low-res VR textures which is how the VR version always looks.  Then after a few seconds they'd pop to the nice graphics.

I hear on PC the game is fine and all, but PS4 has serious loading/streaming issues with this engine and I mean for the most part it's a small area corridor shooter, how the fuck does it have sandbox game loading?  Engine just seems kinda iffy, though I do appreciate the 60fps.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2017, 11:04:09 PM »
Are you playing it on a regular PS4 or a Pro?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »
Pro

Bebpo

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 01:47:24 AM »
Couple of hours later and still thinking about this.  Man, that was a fun game.  I think when every game these days is a 30/60/100 hour sandbox games & rpg, a fun well made linear 8 hour game is really enjoyable!  Reminds me of Titanfall 2's campaign.  The more I think about it, the more I don't think I have any interest in replaying RE7, it's a little too linear to be all that replayable, but I am looking forward to the expansion thing and more RE in this style in the future.  I even liked the campy old-school RE mystery story.  They did a good job with this one.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:56:28 AM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:09 AM »
Its not that thought provoking. Play Breakdown if you want more
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 08:12:55 AM »
Breakdown was so good.
 :aah
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
Its not that thought provoking. Play Breakdown if you want more

You know, I like Breakdown and I like RE7 but I don't think RE7 is much like Breakdown.  I remember years ago playing something that felt very Breakdown with the punching and platforming in FPS, can't remember what it was.  But yeah, to me Breakdown was very action-y with platforming and punching lots of stuff, RE7 you can't even jump 2 inches!  Like I said, RE7 to me feel closer to Condemned with better combat/better graphics/RE story.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
zeno clash 2 had a lot of punching. I forget what company made it, but i feel like they could make a classic if they could just get someone to guide them on how to make some more coherent gameplay.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »
ACE Team.  They're currently working on Rock of Ages 2.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »
Started this up tonight after finishing the Revelation 2 DLC (first one with Moria was alright, second one with Natalia was awful. Stealth in a action game. :yuck )

This is a good palate cleanser for how action oriented the series has gone. I just finished the first boss fight (which is featured in Dunkey's video) and have had a few "WHAT THE FUCK" moments like:

When Jack cuts your foot off and taunts you to get the health pack, to reattach it. Only for him to come back to life on fire in the garage.
[close]

It hasn't "scared" the pants off me, but it's been good fun. That boss battle's second bit had me laughing though.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
There are several different ways to handle the Jack garage fight, it's pretty cool.

spoilers for a few hours later
The second Jack fight is epic af.  :bow2

RE7 isn't too scary, the basement area when you first start getting attacked by the mold monsters is probably the only really scary part of the game.

I guess the Old House is pretty spooky too.
[close]
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
if any of you have it, please play the End of Zoe dlc. it's so fun and hilarious. one of the best parts of the game.
pcp

thisismyusername

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »
Oh, I'm defintely picking up the DLC once I finish the main bit. I'm up to the son right now.
Well, his "quest" bit.
[close]
But I need to call it a night.

This is a great "return to form" for the series, IMO. It's not scary-scary, so I agree with you on that Joe. But I do like that they've attempted to make the house/family/atmosphere the scare instead of "these biological terrors are after you, are you a bad enough dude to take them down?" :doge If 8 does more like this, I'll be happy as a clam (though I'd prefer them dropping the first-person, IMO).

thisismyusername

« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
And finished.

Literally swimming in ammo at the end.  :lol I just ran past like 80% of enemies. So Old-school works outside of annoying areas that you have to fight through.  :lol

I don't think I even used the Magnum once. Just all the other guns, and barely the Grenade Launcher, didn't even bother with the upgraded ammo, either. :lol Normal seems... uh... not very "Survival Horror"-y, but the atmosphere was alright. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I don't necessarily agree that it falls apart at the ship. It kinda picks up there, IMO. But it radically changes from "story of a broken family" into "F.E.A.R. Homage: Right down to the Final Boss Fight."

Speaking of which: That boss-fight was stupid as hell, and crap. I saved up a shit ton of ammo just to:

Bumrush her ass while guarding, then spraying the Flamethrower at her while backing up. Then spraying it some more until she lets me go to grab the Albert-R01 (nice call back, Chris kept Wesker's S.T.A.R.S. M29F apparently) and then fire 3-4 of the 8 shots into her face to kill her finally.
[close]

I'll be picking up the DLC I'm missing (Banned Footage, End of Zoe) tomorrow and going through that along with Not a Hero.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. If this is what 8 is going to do (bar first person perspective) I'm on board with the series again.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:01:21 AM by thisismyusername »

thisismyusername

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2018, 03:02:05 AM »
Holy shit, the Banned Footage volumes aren't worth the money. Nothing but a bunch of mini-games and I've been playing "21" for like 2 hours trying to beat the rigged AI. :doge Stupid random luck for this one to push the AI into a "fuck you, I win" situation only to cheat them out of that to "win." Which is so damn dumb.

The "Nightmare" one is at least worthwhile since it's basically a post-game survival mode a la Mercenaries that can be replayed while unlocking things for it.

Edit: Jack's Birthday one is alright. You basically speed-run the levels to get items to feed him via combining or just by themselves to get S/A/B ranks as fast as possible while killing enemies to freeze the timer/time-extend for the ranks.

"Daughters" is alright, in a scripted-event way. But I don't see myself replaying that ever again now that I got both endings.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:30:15 PM by thisismyusername »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2018, 01:19:24 AM »
The VR version of this is the tits.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »
The VR version of this is the tits.

Marguerite's tits.  :ohyeah
©@©™

Drainage

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
I was home by myself last night with a new to me PSVR so I figured I'd finally get around to trying RE7. Got high for maybe the 10th time in my life to maximize the experience and I don't think I've ever been so scared. I knew it wasn't real, the best comparison would be a nightmare you know is a nightmare and can't wake up from. I almost started weeping when I stopped playing after two hours, luckily my dog was around for company. Holy shit! I'm going to try and play the rest of the game this way but combat is really overwhelming. I had to stop after that guy took my weapons and wrecked my shit.

Svejk

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
Just recently played through the whole game in VR.  One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.  If you enjoyed the OG RE, this game is legit RE...