Author Topic: DESTINY 2  (Read 75033 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
DESTINY 2
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »

Full Reaveal March 30

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: DESTINY 2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »
I wonder if the story will be more coherent this time.

To be fair, it's hard to know how to include story when the focus is co-op and audio chat is going on the whole time, but even trying to navigate the Destiny portal app's grimoire is a nasty, pointless endeavor.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »
I will definitely buy this -- in a couple years when I get the definitive collection discount edition

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
I pre-ordered the $100 edition, ready for another three years of people complaining they can't matchmake a raid LOL
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
Destiny 1 had a lot of good things going for it despite its shortcomings, excited to see if they improved it!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
PC version been confirmed? I've been hearing rumbles of it supposedly coming.

http://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2-is-coming-to-the-pc/?utm_content=buffer76885&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Ah, okay. Weird they never ported the first, but maybe they'll have some "previously on Destiny..." thing for it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
There's nothing to say "previously on Destiny" and idk why you would even entertain the thought that you would care to play the first one
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
some shit happened that didn't matter, you killed gods but that didn't matter, you're the most devastating weapon in the universe but that don't matter oh no giant space turtles are here now go kill them too bless up

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
some shit happened that didn't matter, you killed gods but that didn't matter, you're the most devastating weapon in the universe but that don't matter oh no giant space turtles are here now go kill them too bless up

This is literally more useful than the Destiny app's grimoire.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
In the future humanity is visited by a Stanisław Lem alien that uplifted the species to its high water mark. Everything is pretty cool, stuff that seems like magic was everyday reality, long live Leto II, blah blah blah.

Unfortunately a Lovecraftian horror was also out there in the universe and it didn't seem to care much for that alien. It showed up in Sol System and brought about an end to the high water mark of the species.

The stories say that the two fought and in the final battle the alien banished the horror at the cost of its own consciousness. That was a long time ago and frankly you should be skeptical of the events described. Humans don't even know why they built sentient robots in their own image anymore, let alone the history of beings that defy our limited intelligence.

Whatever actually happened, humanity and its sibling species (the aforementioned robots and predominantly space dwelling abhumans) live a fragile existence from pockets of minor security in a universe that they understand very little of. One of those pockets is a city that lies in the shadow of the alien, now humanity's sleeping god. Its military is the resurrected dead, chosen by automata that answer to the god no one can hear.

Sounds like shit's pretty fucked, why bother with a standing army when you don't know why your talking tractor is a sentient being, right? Turns out that this wasn't the first time the alien and the horror played a little rough with their ant farms. The ants from those farms are here too, each following after the dynamic duo. They all have their own agendas, unfortunately exterminating the natives is the common thread between them. It turns out that gods are beheld in different ways by different beings.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:26:43 PM by Kara »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
I really don't like the Borderlands/Deadpool bait character. I even like the characters in Borderlands 1/2, though there's a lot out there that find it a bit cringe-y, but this is just blatant bait to draw in those crowds.

I might buy it a year later when it goes on sale, but my hype for this is really tempered after Destiny.
Jokey robot man was, I think, introduced with the same update where they replaced Peter Dinklage's VO with Nolan North's. The Borderlands crowd didn't need baiting. Not many FPS loot games around.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
the robot dude was one of the class leaders, but like everyone else he doesn't have a personality until taken king.

karas story is funny bc it sets up the plot, but you don't need to know anything that happens afterwards, bc literally nothing important happens. there's bad guys everywhere and you shot some of them; the end.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
Cayde-6 has been in the game SINCE LAUNCH

If you dont know what you're talking about - please stop talking?
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
They made the characters more vocal since Taken King. Even then, Cayde-6 has always been the jokey Nathan Fillion character.

If his character bothers you, I dont think you should play this game. People love Cayde-6.
fat

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
karas story is funny bc it sets up the plot, but you don't need to know anything that happens afterwards, bc literally nothing important happens. there's bad guys everywhere and you shot some of them; the end.

Eh, there's important stuff that happens (e.g. the societal collapse of The Reef), but it's difficult to summarize beyond "You try to wake up god because things are bad but you make things worse in the process" due to its iterative nature and the fact that the parties involved don't even act in concert at the species level.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »
I wish I didn't care about this lore shit so much because it's obvious Bungie barely does. Bet we rarely leave earth in this new game. Bet we don't even find out what happened to the awoken. Bet they stop bringing up the darkness. Bet we get zero answers about the time travelling exo.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
I just want to pew pew, and am quickly changing my tune about waiting, especially if I can get in on raids with demi-kun

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »
In the future humanity is visited by a Stanisław Lem alien that uplifted the species to its high water mark. Everything is pretty cool, stuff that seems like magic was everyday reality, long live Leto II, blah blah blah.

Unfortunately a Lovecraftian horror was also out there in the universe and it didn't seem to care much for that alien. It showed up in Sol System and brought about an end to the high water mark of the species.

The stories say that the two fought and in the final battle the alien banished the horror at the cost of its own consciousness. That was a long time ago and frankly you should be skeptical of the events described. Humans don't even know why they built sentient robots in their own image anymore, let alone the history of beings that defy our limited intelligence.

Whatever actually happened, humanity and its sibling species (the aforementioned robots and predominantly space dwelling abhumans) live a fragile existence from pockets of minor security in a universe that they understand very little of. One of those pockets is a city that lies in the shadow of the alien, now humanity's sleeping god. Its military is the resurrected dead, chosen by automata that answer to the god no one can hear.

Sounds like shit's pretty fucked, why bother with a standing army when you don't know why your talking tractor is a sentient being, right? Turns out that this wasn't the first time the alien and the horror played a little rough with their ant farms. The ants from those farms are here too, each following after the dynamic duo. They all have their own agendas, unfortunately exterminating the natives is the common thread between them. It turns out that gods are beheld in different ways by different beings.
'

I stopped reading at Lem  :-X

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But seriously I tried reading one of his books in high school, in Polish  :-\
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:26 PM »
Bump, official reveal is tomorrow

Hype is intensifying. Get ready for the mega blockbuster of 2017-2018
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »
Do we think the story will be coherent this time?

Do we care?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 09:17:42 PM »
Nope, just want more raids to do and Destiny to play
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
gonna be trash
demi gon love it

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »
Why is Deadpool a robot now?

bluemax

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:53 AM »
My boy Luke Smith is gonna deliver the goods, I have faith.
NO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »
FIVE MINUTES

twitch.tv/bungie
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
HILARIOUS MAIN PROTAG

:heh

oh wait thats not the protag lol.

anyway gameplay looks allright
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:14:52 PM by MMaRsu »
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
This looks so fucking sick. God is it September yet?
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »
they said lore
#imgoneat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

lol, what looks sick about it?

Looks like D1.5
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »

Looks like D1.5

Everything
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »

Looks like D1.5

Everything

ok jan.gif

Looks like more of the same. Didn't see any new interesting features or talk about the open world gameplay. Aside from woopti fucking doo, a functioning map.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »
Stay mad my dude. Multi-million dollar success coming September.
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
Stay mad my dude. Multi-million dollar success coming September.

Haha I'm not mad I wanted to see if they finally made a MMO-FPS, seems like this isn't it ( again ).

Seriously, no new features announced besides clans and guided games? Like LoL dude who cares? Show me new interesting gameplay mechanics.

They showed none of that.

That it'll be a multi million dollar succes is really of zero interest to me, or you, or anyone here on TheBore. That sorta stuff is only interesting if you work for Activision/Bungie? 
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »
My point is nobody's gonna give a fuck that you arent interested. Keep clackin away at that keyboard my dude, and I'll see you on Destiny
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
you only play ten year old games anyway MMaRsU. You're welcome to join us in 2026.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
My point is nobody's gonna give a fuck that you arent interested. Keep clackin away at that keyboard my dude, and I'll see you on Destiny

Who says I'm not interested? If I wasnt interested I wouldn't have watched the reveal lol.

I'm just asking, where are the new features? Show me some more open world co-op gameplay instead of this corridor shooter gameplay.

you only play ten year old games anyway MMaRsU. You're welcome to join us in 2026.
This is true
  8) 8)
What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
can't watch bc work so can I get a cliff notes version?
pcp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
More of the same sounds great to me!

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
will wait for reviews tbh. Vanilla Destiny 1 was pretty barebones.

I sunk something like 800 hours into the first one +Dark Below and House of Wolves but I was hating myself for playing it those last 300 hours or so just due to repetition. Beating Vault of Glass with my buddies that first week it was available was probably one of my more enjoyable gaming moments tho.

bluemax

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
NO

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »
will say 4v4 pvp sucks

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
yay pc

yay oddly deep world design in a loot fps that clearly only like two people in the entire office actually cared about (the first Borderlands had all the background, including already recorded audio logs, about how Pandora came to be stripped out of it because they found through testing that the players were ignoring it and/or trying to skip through it if it was a cutscene...i liked all the stuff about how the various corporations had exploited the planet and so on)

i forgot that Activision granted Bungie permission to basically use Vicarious Visions as a second studio for this franchise (like Neversoft eventually got handed over to Infinity Ward)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
You're forgetting high moon studios (those Transformers games) as well. I think last time info popped up a year or so ago Destiny had like 3 different studios and something close to 600 ppl working on it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 05:40:13 PM »
Definitely not excited for 4v4 only, but we'll see I guess
fat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Gotta use the Battle/Blizzard client to play this. Dunno what that means for Steam.

https://twitter.com/Activision/status/865280699116298240

benjipwns

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 05:58:17 PM »
You're forgetting high moon studios (those Transformers games) as well. I think last time info popped up a year or so ago Destiny had like 3 different studios and something close to 600 ppl working on it.
remember when people were all aghast "how could bungie go with activision?!?!?"

they forgot the free slave studios :patel

Gotta use the Battle/Blizzard client to play this. Dunno what that means for Steam.
i had noticed they changed the app to accommodate non-blizzard games in a recent update

will take em serious when they put Call of Duty on it instead of making them Steamworks :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

It means this game isnt coming to Steam like the Reddit leak said.
What

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
Main draw of Destiny 1 was the pvp for me, really fun but really fucked at the same time, twas great.

OH!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »

Hadn't even thought of this, but it makes absolute sense. Can't imagine anyone willing to play the game is also unwilling to install Blizzard's client. The game is pretty much a guaranteed hit, too. No incentive whatsoever to profit share with Valve.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »

Hadn't even thought of this, but it makes absolute sense. Can't imagine anyone willing to play the game is also unwilling to install Blizzard's client. The game is pretty much a guaranteed hit, too. No incentive whatsoever to profit share with Valve.

Yeah, I'm thumping my head on my desk about why this never dawned on me, either.

benjipwns

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
Between Starcraft, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, etc. a lot of people are already grandfathered into and using it too. It's almost like somebody suddenly went "wait, we already have our own Steam!"

Though they should have kept the name battle.net imo, Blizzard App is lame-o.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »
Marketiiiing. :shakefist

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:09 PM »
Between Starcraft, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, etc. a lot of people are already grandfathered into and using it too. It's almost like somebody suddenly went "wait, we already have our own Steam!"

I know, right. Although I remember thinking it was weird when they opened Battle.net, and then later on made the client (which iirc was for WoW only at the start). But we got used to the name, and probably will this time too. I like having all my Blizz games in one place though, especially since I play more than one of them.

This will be their first third-party game there, and I'm happy because it honestly makes me wanna play it more, as dumb as that sounds.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2017, 11:54:29 PM »
neat
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 12:05:28 AM »
I like having all my Blizz games in one place though
wish they would add all the games, like the first Starcraft they just setup for free a few weeks back, instead of going to the site and downloading an installer and stuff, it's like what is this 2004? hold on, let me dial in on my landline blizzard, jeez, get with the times

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 12:50:16 PM »

These pvp changes are fucking lame. Sticky grenades are no longer one hit kill, all weapons do less damage, higher ttk overall, 4v4.
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEE

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
Have you played Destiny PVP lately? The sticky change is a godsend (at the moment).
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »
it's been awhile since I played d1, but wasn't all pvp 4v4?
pcp