Author Topic: #latestagecapitalism  (Read 360612 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
Re: #latestagecapitalism
« Reply #1260 on: July 03, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »
We got about $1000 knocked off by doing it itemized instead of doing their package deal that was originally given to us, but they were cool with charging the extra grand for shit we weren't using and would have had we not asked it to be itemized. Really the craziest part to me is they need full payment immediately. Most people don't even have $500 on hand, let alone $5-12K or higher.

What happens when it can't be paid for? Do funeral homes just hold bodies hostage at that point?

Pretty much, or donated to companies/colleges for 'research' as cadavers.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1262 on: July 03, 2019, 10:16:07 PM »
That reminds me of something I learned in Ozark...

Drugs money worth billions of dollars kept the financial system at the height of the global crisis, the United Nations' drugs and crime tsar has told the Observer.

Antonio Maria Costa, head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, said he has seen evidence that the proceeds of organised crime were "the only liquid investment capital" available to some banks on the brink of collapse last year. He said that a majority of the $352bn (£216bn) of drugs profits was absorbed into the economic system as a result.
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1263 on: July 03, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »
State regulations and industry rules on cremation are pretty intense I also discovered this year. The main thing I learned other than how much paperwork is involved is how if you're too fat they can't cremate you because of how the fat will boil in the ovens. (Apparently something the Nazis knew quite a bit about but did not become common regulations/rules in the U.S. until the 1980s or something.)

Also discovered that canceling a deceased person's Comcast is more difficult than getting your name put on a deceased person's bank account.

Standard libertarian idiot story about the hilarious casket regulations in certain states like the ones monks took down in Louisiana:
A five-year battle by Benedictine monks in Louisiana for the right to make and sell caskets is over, and the holy carpenters have won. The Supreme Court declined this week to get involved in the fight between St. Joseph Abbey and the Louisiana State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, letting stand a ruling that declared a state-enforced industry monopoly illegal.

The law in question required anybody who wanted to sell caskets to undergo funeral director training and set up embalming equipment, rules that have nothing to do with creating or selling fancy wooden boxes with which to store dead bodies, but everything to do with making sure the funeral industry controlled the marketplace. Reason's Damon Root had been following the case when the U.S. Court of Appeals struck it down in March, ruling "That Louisiana does not even require a casket for burial, does not impose requirements for their construction or design, does not require a casket to be sealed before burial, and does not require funeral directors to have any special expertise in caskets, leads us to conclude that no rational relationship exists between public health and safety and limiting intrastate sales of caskets to funeral establishments."

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1264 on: July 04, 2019, 02:19:25 AM »
If only there were other ways to borrow money, or some sort of credit service, maybe one's with cards accepted by businesses that give them money in exchange for you paying it off over time or something.

Capitalist whore  ::)
Margs

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1265 on: July 06, 2019, 04:36:05 AM »
https://www.talkingpoliticspodcast.com/blog/2019/172-libra

What does it mean when Facebook says it wants its own currency? We explore the power, the potential and the pitfalls of Libra. How does Facebook plan to make money out of making money? Can anyone stop it? And does this represent a fundamental shift in the model of surveillance capitalism? Plus we consider some of the rivals it faces: Bitcoin, WeChat and the good old dollar.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1266 on: July 06, 2019, 06:02:54 AM »
'Wolf of Wall Street' producer charged with 1MDB money laundering in Malaysia

https://reut.rs/2RVuzrq

ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1267 on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
Man, I always knew that the Internet Movie Database was up to no good.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1269 on: July 06, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1271 on: July 06, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »

:punch
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1272 on: July 06, 2019, 09:50:29 PM »
brb opening a new restaurant called Eat the Rich

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1147679877551861760

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1274 on: July 07, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
Hold on to your butts.

Deutsche Bank is about to collapse in a Lehman Brothers like fashion.

With Lagarde at the helm of the ECB  :lol :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #1275 on: July 07, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
Detroit-based rapper Tiny Jag pulled out of a Detroit, MI music festival this week after she learned that white concert-goers would be charged a higher price than people of color.

Jag, also known as Jillian Graham, told the Detroit Metro Times that she found out about AfroFuture Fest's pay model when a white friend reached out to her and sent her a screenshot via Instagram that outlined the pay difference. The early bird POC ("people of color") ticket was $10 while the early bird "non-POC" ticket cost $20.
"I was immediately enraged just because I am biracial," Graham told the Metro Times. "I have family members that would have, under those circumstances, been subjected to something that I would not ever want them to be in ... especially not because of anything that I have going on."

The organizers of the event are upfront that they are charging different prices based on race, including sharing artwork on social media with a caption about early-bird tickets that reads, “Early Bird POC Tickets are $10 & $20 for NONPOC’s & on sale until JULY 17th.”

WHY DO WE HAVE POC(PEOPLE OF COLOR) AND NONPOC(WHITE PEOPLE) TICKETS? I'M GLAD YOU ASKED! EQUALITY MEANS TREATING EVERYONE THE SAME EQUITY IS INSURING EVERYONE HAS WHAT THEY NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL OUR TICKET STRUCTURE WAS BUILT TO INSURE THAT THE MOST MARGINALIZED COMMUNITIES (PEOPLE OF COLOR) ARE PROVIDED WITH AN EQUITABLE CHANCE AT ENJOYING EVENTS IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITY(BLACK DETROIT). AFFORDING JOY AND PLEASURE IS UNFORTUNATELY STILL A PRIVILEGE IN OUR SOCIETY FOR POC AND WE BELIEVE EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO RECEIVING SUCH. WE'VE SEEN TOO MANY TIMES ORGASMIC EVENTS HAPPENING IN DETROIT AND OTHER POC POPULATED CITIES AND WHAT CONSISTENTLY HAPPENS IS PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE COMMUNITY BENEFITING MOST FROM AFFORDABLE TICKET PRICES BECAUSE OF THEIR PROXIMITY TO WEALTH. THIS CYCLE DISPROPORTIONATELY DISPLACES BLACK AND BROWN PEOPLE FROM ENJOYING ENTERTAINMENT IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITIES. AS AN AFROFUTURIST YOUTH LEAD INITIATIVE THE VOICES OF OUR YOUTH INFORM OUR RESISTANCE. HERE'S WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY " IF YOU DON'T SEE MY BLACKNESS, YOU DON'T SEE ME. PERIODT!"
https://twitter.com/AFYDet/status/1146573010247327744
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/afro-fest-tiny-jag-detroit-153825185.html

:thinking

Tripon

« Reply #1276 on: July 07, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1148039429262598145

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1148045387074277376

Staff writer @TheAtlantic covering internet culture | Research affiliate @BKCHarvard | Visiting @NiemanFdn fellow Nov ‘19

:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #1277 on: July 08, 2019, 12:49:37 AM »
look, men can keep it at a temperature that everyone can hate silently and passively aggressively try to change, if you give control to one woman it's the first step on the path to World War III

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1278 on: July 08, 2019, 03:23:09 AM »
I want to be able to wear a dress w/ a sweater to work in the summer and not freeze my face off

I'd rather you not tempt married men, harlot !  :rethread
ὕβρις

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1279 on: July 08, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
She's right, AC is necessary for some people in some places but it gets way overused because Americans are wasteful hogpeople

jorma

« Reply #1280 on: July 08, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
She's right, AC is necessary for some people in some places but it gets way overused because Americans are sexist hogpeople

:hmph

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1281 on: July 08, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1282 on: July 08, 2019, 04:53:55 PM »
AC is a major force against BO.

:bow AC :bow2
©ZH

agrajag

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1284 on: July 09, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
US government: *bans Juggalos*
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1285 on: July 09, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1286 on: July 09, 2019, 09:52:58 AM »
When juggalos are outlawed, only outlaws will whoop whoop.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

agrajag

« Reply #1288 on: July 09, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »

my ninja  :mynicca

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1289 on: July 09, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1290 on: July 09, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »
:juche
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1291 on: July 09, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1292 on: July 09, 2019, 05:24:54 PM »
In the words of history's greatest philosopher: "if you don't whoop whoop me back, you're no longer fresh, you're stale; the difference between fresh and stale is common sense"

US government: *bans Juggalos*
They've actually been listed by the FBI as a gang since 2011. I know this because reason squeezed two videos out of the whole thing three years apart, the second of which is the one that contains the above immortal line about halfway through.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1293 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »
Wait, do they hate Nazis or support the First Amendment? Like, choose a side, guys. ???
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1294 on: July 09, 2019, 05:50:30 PM »
🤴

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1295 on: July 09, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
I’m kind of curious who is responsible for taking care of spiders. I would have thought pest control would fall to renters
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1296 on: July 09, 2019, 10:54:45 PM »
I’m kind of curious who is responsible for taking care of spiders. I would have thought pest control would fall to renters

Why don't you look up the answer on your favorite forum, BiggerPockets.com, you slumlord? :bolo
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #1297 on: July 09, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
From the first result of a google search it appears to be a landlords responsibility (also good property management) BUT if it's determined to be due to the renters behavior (like leaving food all over the floor or whatever) they can apply penalties according to the lease, though this could vary by state. That does seem to make sense from just a logical perspective and thinking about stuff like smoke and water damage.

Also, I admit just from thinking about it spiders does seem like a tough one if there's no nest or anything. Maybe he should just sit by the kids all night watching their legs with a flash light.

Disclaimer
I AM NOT A "LICENSED" ATTORNEY, THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, BUT DEFINITELY FOLLOW IT AND AT YOUR TRIAL DEMAND THAT SOMEONE EXPOSE THE CHINA CONNECTION
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1298 on: July 10, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
BAN ALL THE BANKERS AND KILL THEM
dog

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1299 on: July 10, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
Margs

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1300 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
I’ll try to stay more than 200 yards away from the Pentagon.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1301 on: July 10, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
The 9/11 truthers in the replies are strangely comforting.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1302 on: July 10, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »
Wake me up when they can alter my heart beat from that range

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1303 on: July 10, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
Hyper deflationary token with a burn rate of 5% .  ???

https://fuzetoken.net/
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #1304 on: July 10, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/davegwitt/status/1149100995529662467

PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATION FOR EXPOSURE.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1305 on: July 10, 2019, 08:46:59 PM »
Devaluation of labor? What's that?
dog

agrajag

« Reply #1306 on: July 11, 2019, 02:14:50 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1307 on: July 11, 2019, 06:08:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/davegwitt/status/1149100995529662467

PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATION FOR EXPOSURE.
I'll do it if they let me apply any editorial change i want, without appeal.
Also, i know neither Chinese nor Korean.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1309 on: July 11, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/07/families-slack-asana/593584/

Use Slack at home to manage your kids’ lives, brehs.
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2019, 04:51:58 AM »
https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/12/belle-delphine-gamer-girl-instagram-selling-bath-wate?CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

was gonna post this in dog's bathwater thread but then I saw this quote

Delphine said: “People like to make the joke that by 2019 they thought there would be flying cars, amazing medical technology, and other humankind forwarding ideas. I think stuff like that is happening constantly – but also people are buying bottled gamer girl bath water.”

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1311 on: July 12, 2019, 03:05:27 PM »
🤴

Kara

« Reply #1312 on: July 13, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

I think someone linked this here?

Anyway, a long story about the insubstantial social safety net in the U.S. ending with a "Supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation" graphic is a little Victorian era capitalism but also rather particular to this benighted age.

Tripon

agrajag

« Reply #1314 on: July 13, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
Fake, news, the caption provides a disclaimer saying

"By the way, the latest chemical analysis has shown that (the water) is not that dangerous. :)

Who wants to come with us for a swim?"

Tripon

« Reply #1315 on: July 13, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
Pay $4K a month to live like a college student, bruh.

curly

• cultural maoist

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #1318 on: July 14, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
...apply...to....high school? :confused

My guess is the homies and admission at said private schools won't actually give a shit lol. Very good!

Pretty much, the Sackler family is going to pay 6 figures a semester so their son or daughter can skate by with failing grades that magically become B's so she can meet the honors list and pretend they actually tried during high school.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1319 on: July 14, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Pay $4K a month to live like a college student, bruh.
Are this the same people who hate the commies, because then they can't own shit? Paying 4 thousand dollars for a company to select a personality for you...  :-\