Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.  (Read 59037 times)

Himu

Re: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
I'm gonna be absolutely honest.

When it comes to platformers, as it isn't obvious, I'm a stone cold traditionalist. I love me some 3D platforming but for me a great 2d platformer is almost a religious experience.

For me, 3D platformers and 2d platformers answer completely different questions to the platforming genre. 3D is at its best when it's about "how do I get there?" for the most part. Think Jet Set Radio Future. The game doesn't have tight timing but the puzzle is now more exploratory and the player must solve answers themselves. 3D Mario games are the only 3d platformers I can think of that still have some leeway to allow the traditional style of platforming. Think the clock tower in 64 for instance, or the Galaxy games. Still, it took me a long time to appreciate 64 precisely for the reasons Wrath articulated, with me being a traditionalist.

Basically, I find 3D Mario different enough from 2d mario while still having what I love about 2d mario to embrace. I used to think it was a competition, and that 2d won easily, but after Galaxy I think it's perfectly possible for the line to blur a bit.

Good on Wrath for acknowledging the difference in play style and preferences. When it comes to platformers, besides stuff like Jet Set, I'm definitely firmly in the 2d platformer camp.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Agreed with wrath that "modern game design" means Jack and shit.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
Speaking of 3D transformers, I just looked up a playthrough of DK64 and man that looks like a steaming pile of garbage. Talk about not holding up well. I'm glad I got soured on DKC3 and skipped this one entirely. Then I was back for the sweet return to form with the Returns games.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
yep this is why I hated rare back in the day. in Mario 64 you'd hop in the volcano and holy shit here's a whole tough mini-level that you need to have good platforming skills to get thru. in bk you just bumble around a map or do some clumsy seek and find out some shit. with Mario it was exciting to explore bc you'd find all these fun and creative areas, while rare games were simple and tedious in comparison.
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
DKC3 really was putrid.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
On the subject of early 3D platformers, I think the original Spyro the Dragon has held up reasonably well. The controls are kinda fickle and the camera tended to be pretty garbo, but it's got some neat little mechanics and twists on the Super Mario 64 formula that help it stand out. Good artstyle/graphics and music, too, doesn't hurt.

That and Super Mario 64 are two of the only platformers of that era that I'm tempted to replay.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »

HNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

Nintendo is releasing two GOTYs in a single year.

The madmen.

Himu

« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Jumping Flash needs more love from you Rumbler :(
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
Ape Escape games are great too.

Good on Wrath for acknowledging the difference in play style and preferences. When it comes to platformers, besides stuff like Jet Set, I'm definitely firmly in the 2d platformer camp.

I may like Mario 64 more than 2D Mario, but I'd say I'm in the 2D platformer camp mostly because there aren't as many good 3D platformers as there are 2D.

It's not surprising 3D platformers died out. Not only are they harder to make but most 3D platformers didnt understand the strengths of the genre. A lot of them tried to be timing based platforming like their 2d sisters but that doesn't work as well in 3D for whatever reason. 3D platformers are at their best when you're trying to figure out how to get to a certain place and you have to use an assortment of moves to get there. You witness this in Mario and Jet Set. But most 3d platformers weren't interested in that.

Honestly I'd argue 3D platformers didn't get good until around the release of Ape Escape Or Dreamcast. They kind of sucked universally besides exceptions in the 32/64 generation. It wasn't until Jak/Sly/Ratchet/JSRF/POP: Sands of Time and stuff like that came out that 3D platforming became an actual viable thing and then they died soon after. Shame.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
I still really love Banjo Kazooie.
püp

Himu

« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »
Gotta admit, the latest video got me excited fro Odyssey.  :preach

I still have my (very big) doubts, but I'm placing all faith in Nintendo. There's a section that I saw in the video that shows really interesting platforming. You jump and use the cap transformation to get an extra jump at 3:20 - 3:23. Essentially, Mario transformed into the actual platform to get a boost, then transformed out, then turned into the thing that shoots - another platform. The platforming here doesn't seem to be based around the tightness of Galaxy games, but more in line with Sunshine where you're alotted a number of tools that you can use freely to get to your destination. Which as said, takes full advantage of 3d platformings strengths. I can imagine this game has very creative platforming after seeing that bit.

I want in.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:52:39 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #191 on: September 14, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
Can we please talk about the cute Goombarina and how cute Lakitu Mario are?!?! This game looks so cute.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
That's quite the turnaround.

:heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat

:heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart

Sit on bench to get a star.

10/10 gameplay

Game truly looks anti-thetical to the appeal of Mario.

Himu

« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
I did say I still have my doubts.

And I still think that's a stupid gameplay idea, rewarding players for doing fucking absolutely nothing. But whatever. Show me good platforming. That's all I asked for.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
It's rewarding players for thinking outside the box and exploring the game's mechanics. It ties in very clearly to the game's themes of exploration and discovery.

Himu

« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
:larry

That's a good argument. I'll buy it.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
:larry

That's a good argument. I'll buy it.

:rejoice Welcome to the light.

WaveRacer 64

« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »
Nintendo loves their gimmicks and this game is full of them, still not a fan of the Frisbee hat but the parts without them look just like Mario 64 and instantly give me the feels.

agrajag

« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
Have you guys seen this video? It really highlights the Mario 64 sandbox feel of this game. I can picture myself wasting hours just fucking around in this game.

What made Mario 64 so revolutionary back in the day is the exploration aspect. It was very immersive and Mario 64 was one of the original tentpole proof-of-concept 3D titles for the N64. But by modern standards the exploration in Mario 64 is very rudimentary; it's the platforming aspect that makes the game hold up so weel. After all these years it's still so fun to just run around and do crazy flips and shit! And IMO the two Galaxy games are light years ahead of Mario 64 in the 3D platforming department. They refined the platforming elements so much. This gamebuilds on the platforming craziness of the Galaxy games but re-introduces some of that Mario 64 exploration charm, which is the best of both worlds scenario.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
I expected him to be harrier. :thinking

Wrong game company:

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2017, 01:49:01 AM »
On the subject of early 3D platformers, I think the original Spyro the Dragon has held up reasonably well. The controls are kinda fickle and the camera tended to be pretty garbo, but it's got some neat little mechanics and twists on the Super Mario 64 formula that help it stand out. Good artstyle/graphics and music, too, doesn't hurt.

That and Super Mario 64 are two of the only platformers of that era that I'm tempted to replay.
good to hear, haven't touched that game since then. I remember Ripto's Rage being my favorite
The first game is more simplistic but Spyro builds upon the multi-tier objectives system. There's a once through to the exit level way. There's getting all the gems. There's getting the egg thief. You can play entire levels accomplishing the bulk of the goals and not see half the map. Even like the second level has a straight path to the exit and you can be done in a minute or so, but there's a whole underground part to collect all the gems. Heck, the very first level requires you to glide "outside" the level from a high point to get all the gems. And even the hub world requires you to jump off the map.

I thought 3 went a bit far in adding in friends and skateboarding and crap.

Ripto's Rage might have been the sweet spot, as the first game really has no serious challenge aspect to it, just exploration. Plus 2 adds in where you come back with later acquired abilities.

I like them more than Mario 64 as I never liked many of the level designs in Mario 64 as much. Spyro has less that he can do but he always needs to do all of it and it's quite hard for him to accidentally misfire and die. Mario 64 contains too many parts that I imagine would not be in the game or altered if the game had not been tied so directly to the console, even with the delays it was already given. To use a completely different game, David Jaffe admitted they never truly playtested the part in God of War where you're trying to climb the spinning wall of spikes. It brings the pacing of the game to a crashing halt. (Much like the box part with the archers early on.) Mario 64, in my memory, has too many components like that for me to place it in the pantheon as others do or did rather than it just being a very good game. Which is still praise but not for our best thing ever/worst garbage ever internet requirements.

I haven't played it in forever though. I watched some of dunkey's playthrough for some reason one day a few months ago, it reminded me of those parts I disliked more than what I enjoyed.

I've always wondered what Super Mario 64 2 would have been like, now that they had the teething of working in 3D out of the way. Especially after finishing Zelda too. It seems hard to believe that Sunshine was the only Mario game during that time rather than there being some kind of sequel that got scrapped. Now decades later I don't wonder if maybe it had something to do with the 64DD fiasco and would it have been related to a level creator. Mario Maker 64.

IIRC, Nintendo during that whole period and until Rare got sold previewed or named a lot of games that would just never appear again. Hell, Kirby's Air Ride was the only playable game other than Mario 64 at the N64 Shoshinkai but didn't actually come out for another eight years on another platform.

Speaking of 3D transformers, I just looked up a playthrough of DK64 and man that looks like a steaming pile of garbage. Talk about not holding up well. I'm glad I got soured on DKC3 and skipped this one entirely. Then I was back for the sweet return to form with the Returns games.
DK64 was garbage at the time. That is the one "64" game I will fight people about. That and anyone who says Jet Force Gemini was great. (That was developed by the Blast Corps team plus Diddy Kong Racing people rather than making a Blast Corps 2 which would have put Sony out of business immediately and forever. And still could, if Nintendo cared to listen to the people.)

But it's also why we got the expansion pak. Rare couldn't fix a game breaking bug in DK64, but using the pak prevented it. So thanks for that weak ass coding that needed twice the system RAM, Rare.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:46 AM »
mario 128

believe
pcp

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
I don't make platformers but sometimes I wish I did. :-\

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »
at least Queen of Ice isn't alone: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433730

Himu

« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »
at least Queen of Ice isn't alone: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433730

And the responses are equally as dismissive!
IYKYK

WaveRacer 64

« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Dem movement options :lawd

Nintendo really mastered the cartoony style, looks incredible.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »

Boss fight with some FLUDD-esque mechanics.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
That music is amazing.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2017, 01:58:27 PM »
queen lookie

püp

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2017, 02:07:24 PM »
queen lookie

This should be an American Ninja Warrior course.
serge

Himu

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
queen lookie

Not bad! It only took them months to show a traditional Mario course!
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
i hate you so much
püp

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »

I jissomed. Alright, I'm going back into blackout mode. I'd rather experience the cool shit on my own. Game seems pretty weird.
serge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
I'm really glad a Mario game has some personality again. Feels like after Galaxy 2 the games were extra bland in music and aesthetic.

the New series had fucking terrible visuals and audio and it was mind-boggling why they stuck to it so hard for soooo long. BAH BAH is still the worst fucking music ever created.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »
I am finally 100% sold on this game.

I have no idea who Nintendo were trying to sell this game to in the previous months, but this new batch of shit is great.
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
🍆🍆

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2017, 07:47:23 PM »
Platforming? In a Mario game?

Well, I never...

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
I paid all this money for a new fangled Nintandoo Switch and all it has is iphone games where you move a little sprite man?

C'MAAAAAAAN

:boring :iface

benjipwns

« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2017, 07:15:09 AM »
the New series had fucking terrible visuals and audio and it was mind-boggling why they stuck to it so hard for soooo long.
well i mean it sold a cosmic shitload, the DS and Wii ones sold 30 million copies and even U sold 5 million (Galaxy sold 13 million, Galaxy 2 sold 6 million, 3D Land 11 million and 3D World 5 million) the only games to top those two or even get within 10 million copies were packaged in with the NES or SNES for half their life or longer...DS actually was never a pack-in to my surprise unless wikipedia is wrong

NSMB and NSMBW combined sold 150% all the Mario Party series games combined :usacry

and considering what the dev costs on those probably was? :whew

BAH BAH is still the worst fucking music ever created.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
yeah i dunno if it was because it looked like all those cheap 3d cartoons at the time or parents wanting their kids to relive the games they grew up on or what but sales were fucking insane.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:18:56 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

agrajag

« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »

I have no idea who Nintendo were trying to sell this game to in the previous months

Everyone else but you.

Himu

« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
thank you nintendo to catering specifically to me in the past 24hr :rejoice
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
I don't even know how to explain the success of the NSMB games.  They were lazy as shit but sold umpteen dozen million copies.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
I don't even know how to explain the success of the NSMB games.  They were lazy as shit but sold umpteen dozen million copies.

The console ones looked good :idont
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »
I quite liked the first one on the DS when it came out just because it was a stripped back of all the extras, yet new 2D Mario that kept his movement additions over the years, and even if it was one of the easiest games ever made in the genre or franchise and you could beat it and get almost all the coins in just a few hours. (Probably helps that I didn't buy it but my roommate did.  :teehee)

The Wii version has some really weird difficultly spikes and seems more like stuff thrown together to make up the worlds and new powers and such, it still looks pretty sweet all spiffed up on Dolphin tho. I never finished it on the Wii and never gone past the second world when dicking around with it on Dolphin. (Runs pretty flawlessly on my laptop at 720p but that's yet again fiddling with it rather than actually wanting to play with it that way.) But if you're a Mario fanatic there's a shit ton of game there, especially into the special worlds and stuff.

Never played 2 or U. I actually kinda like the concept though of them doing this 2D series, even with the multiplayer chaos troll mode, probably on the cheap and even if just to test out ideas. And yet they still are also doing the 3D series. Versus us just getting one or the other. It's one way to really satisfy a lot of the Mario fans, they've done at least one of these and one of the 3D Marios on every platform since DS now.

Even though it probably doesn't relate I wouldn't mind if they put some of that into making an actually transcendent Yoshi's Island sequel some day. Shame they never actually followed up on that masterpiece. Been 22 years without a sequel of any kind. ANY KIND.

Himu

« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »
I beat nsmb ds in one sitting on a car trip. It was awful and put me off nsmb Wii despite reportedly being good for years
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
I think it may be our having played SMB/SMB3/SMW in some respects, and they made it easier to introduce to the new generation but it was way easier to us especially since I can go back to those games and they don't seem hard, I thought design wise it did a lot of fun stuff even if it wasn't challenging. I'd have to look but I don't really remember too many reviewers talking about how easy the game was and then I was sitting there one night after just starting up my roommates copy and after a few hours I'm on world eight. :lol

NSMBW was quite a bit harder from what I remember, especially trying to get all the coins and then the extra levels are all like challenge ones. But that may also be the controls if you're using the Wiimote sideways as they suggest. (Require? I forget.) Haven't actually tried to play it with say my 360 pad on the PC, might be totally different.

agrajag

« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:24 PM »
real talk NSMB Wii is a great game. Never played the Wii U one

benjipwns

« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »
SMB3 and SMW can feel more like time sinks than the others, there's less of a feeling that you can just pop in and get playing outside of like the first few levels because of the world structure and the way the levels connect to one another

probably my favorite Nintendo 2D platformer, and you don't even play as Mario  :lol
wow, claim it's your favorite and then show your CASUAL GAMER IGNORANCE by acting like there's not the parts where you play as invincible Super Baby Mario

your punishment:

agrajag

« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2017, 11:24:14 PM »
I still really like SMB, honestly. It's pretty simple and easy but designed well enough that I enjoy it whenever I pick it up.

For whatever reason, SMB3 hasn't clicked with me like that outside of my childhood when it was my favorite. It's well designed and fun to play, but I find myself putting it down much quicker than I do other great 2D Marios(I'm including Doki Doki Panic reskin and the lost levels in this because I love both, bitches).

I haven't touched SMBW since the SNES days, so can't really speak on it. But I plan on somehow getting a SNES Mini with wanting to replay it high on the priority list. Yoshi's Island is probably still going to be a better game to me when all is said and done. It's kind of funny how it's billed as SMW2, is probably my favorite Nintendo 2D platformer, and you don't even play as Mario  :lol

SMB3 gets frustrating real quick. SMB2J though, holy shit. I think I only got a couple levels into it.

SMBW is great. It's solid as fuck.

Himu

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2017, 12:58:59 AM »
SMB1 is solid
2 US is fun for the nostalgia
2j is interesting as a Mario vet
3 is really good if you don't skip all over the map with whistles and warps
World is fantastic
Yoshi's Island is my favorite 2d platformer
64 I've had a weird relationship with over the years. Love it some elements of it, hate others. Overall I love it these days.
Sunshine I love and have MASSIVE nostalgia for despite its issues
Galaxy 1 is IMO the best platformer of all time and perhaps the best game ever made, next to resident evil 4
Galaxy 2 is great but just not on the level of Galaxy 1 for me
Nsmb was terrible
3D land sucks until new game plus

Haven't played nsmb Wii, U, or 2, or 3D world. Which I plan on catching up on.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2017, 01:26:08 AM »
NSMB Wii and U were really solid 2D platformers, aesthetics aside. Luigi U was a ton of fun too.

Original NSMB was pretty shitty but got a pass as the first 2D Mario since Yoshi's Island. NSMB2 was completely forgettable.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »
3D World is great.  I know dunkey doesn't like it but he's also more of a fan of the 3D games in the spirit of Sunshine.

I'd argue it's the Wii U's best title
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
It's honestly a much better game when played alone.  The latter half of the game is just new cool idea after new cool idea.  Very laser focused platforming.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
3D World is great.  I know dunkey doesn't like it but he's also more of a fan of the 3D games in the spirit of Sunshine.

I'd argue it's the Wii U's best title

3D World is OK. I think 3D Land (especially the second half of it) was much better.

I hated the movement system. I highly disliked the "burst" of speed you get 1.5674 seconds after holding the run button, forcing you to run in a circle to get it if you didn't want it to kick in at an inopportune time. I hated how some of the levels were literally impossible if playing multiplayer. The bosses sucked. I hated how none of the levels in a given world matched the theme of the world. And I thought the overall graphical style was getting too similar to the New series instead of the beauty of the Galaxy games.

That said, if played solo, it has some good level design in places, especially the special world. There's some newness/weirdness to some of the themes, which was nice compared to NSMB. It looks pretty good, technically speaking. And having each char have their own unique properties was very welcome after NSMB made everyone play the same.

It's easily the worst 3D Mario in my opinion, but it's still a good game. Just not great.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
3D World felt tired and bland in my opinion.  3D World and Sunshine were the only two Mario games where I didn't give a shit about it.  Both games just felt half assed.

The good news is that Sunshine's sequel was amazing and so does Odyssey.
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
I can’t argue with any of that tbh

I just know I had a lot of fun with it.  Much more than 3D Land
püp

Tasty

« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
3D Land felt fresh to me at the time and worked really well as a portable game with levels being made of individual bite-sized chunks. It was also the first 3DS game I said "wow" at the graphics for. And I remember the post-game content being meaty and wonderful.

Don't know how I'd feel today if I went back to it.

Himu

« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
I maintain that 3D land sucked until the post game
IYKYK