Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.  (Read 60204 times)

Tasty

Re: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.
« Reply #540 on: November 06, 2017, 11:34:03 PM »
I've only sat down to play Mario Odyssey three times, but with every kingdom I'm doubling the minimum amount of Power Moons I'm supposed to get lol. So I'm sitting at 113... with at least two full kingdoms to go (apparently you can beat the game with 120.)

It pisses me off that I can see Moons I can't get yet (or didn't figure out how to get...) :P

My impressions so far is that it's not as good or... holistic as 64 and Galaxy but it's been a joy to play so far with some short bursts of pretty demanding platforming already. It balances exploration and platforming expertly. Even New Donk City, the biggest area I've unlocked so far, is packed with content, collectables, and platforming challenges at every turn.

Applying the Korok Seed template to the main collectable was absolutely the right call. You're constantly getting bursts of dopamine egging you on to play more and more. Genius game design. In a free-to-play game I'd say it's criminal, but in a full retail game of this quality, it's stellar game design.

I'm really glad I didn't watch very much gameplay footage of this game. Basically just saw the two trailers and that's it. I'd definitely recommend doing the same if you think you'll play this in the future. Even dunkey's vid spoiled a cool thing or two for me and it was almost completely "spoiler" free.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #541 on: November 07, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »
I like Mario Odyssey more than the Galaxy series.

This game is in my top 3 Mario easily.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #542 on: November 07, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Definitely a top 3 Mario. SMW, Odyssey, and Galaxy are my top three but I dunno what order heh

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #543 on: November 07, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »
Beat the main story this weekend and am currently up to 325 moons. This game is a treasure, collecting the moons is actually fun because they're hidden in places that are so well designed that you want to explore them. I spent an hour yesterday afternoon just poking around Hat Kingdom (the smallest area in the game, except for Dark Souls Kingdom :doge ).
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #544 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
Beat Bowser today and started to revisit kingdoms one by one, see how far I get without guides

great game, even if not as “epic” as Mario 64

Bebpo

« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2017, 02:23:58 AM »
Finished up the main game and collecting moons, got to the darker side of the moon and still going through old stages for the new stars.

Liked the game a lot, had great variety and generally a good pace with a mix of exploration and platforming challenges. My only complaints are no ghost house world (starting hat world isn't really close enough) and generally the game is too easy outside some annoying moons. Also a general complaint I have with 3d mario is I hate how slow Mario runs, but I still prefer 3d mario > 2d mario slightly. I do wish there were more actual stages instead of just all the short challenge bursts. The latter is fun, but the former is real platforming and the lack of stages is partly why it feels kinda easy.

I really liked the Galaxy games. In fact I'd have no problem saying they are my favorite 3d Mario games. Wasn't too impressed by 3d World despite all the raving. Was fun but forgettable. Then again I didn't play it 4p which was the main draw, just 1p. Odyssey feels somewhere between 3d World and Galaxy too me. Sunshine behind them all and 64 last cause fuck nostalgia.

This and BoTW in the same year is pretty strong for Nintendo. Both are the best two Nintendo games I've played since like Galaxy 2 or something. I still need to play NSMB U though, have it sitting around on the Wii U but never got to it since I'm not big on the NSMB aesthetic and the Wii U hardware sucks (moreso now that Switch exists and going back to that big bulky tablet is ugh; port all Wii U games to Switch plz).

Eteric

« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2017, 06:21:31 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
I think New Donk City and the Wooded Kingdom are my two favorite worlds. I played those two levels last night for about 5 hours, I thought it had been like 2 hours.
©@©™

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
tfw you're exploring Steam Gardens in the Wooden Kingdom and you suddenly have the urge to dance like a white guy from the early 60s.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #549 on: November 11, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
This game is now in my top 10 or top 5 of last 10 years.

256 moons in so far.

Himu

« Reply #550 on: November 11, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
Forgot to say I played a bit of Odyssey. And wanted to apologize for trolling last time. I can't help myself.

Anyways, I noticed the controls felt stiff to me compared to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. Like Mario had more weight to him. I'm not happy about that change but it still controlled well. I played one of the worlds and the game was harder than I thought precisely due to the more weighted controls. I liked what I played although it was a very small portion. I look forward to playing it in full when I get a switch.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #551 on: November 11, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
That part in New Donk City where

You go in the theater and play SMB1
[close]

Was very cool. Enjoying all the little nostalgia bits and puzzles. Still going through all the stages a second time now post-game, only have 4 worlds left. Think I'm around 320 or so moons and that's not using any guides or anything, just getting whatever I can find exploring around.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2017, 01:30:49 AM »
Same way Im playing

sinxtanx

« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2017, 07:15:42 AM »
got every purple coin and moon
saved the levels after the last level for last
they weren't even hard :smug

last moon landed me on
900 because I bought a bunch in Mushroom Kingdom before figuring out they were inexhaustible
[close]
moons

now all that's left is to grind money for some clothes that are left and maxing out moons
and after that...this is one of those games I know I'm going to return to and do it all again someday

agrajag

« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Got damn. The game is starting to make sense to me. I've only been playing in short bursts, but at first when I played the Cascade Kingdom I was like "well, this is a stupid easy game for babbies," and then I got to the wooded kingdom and it all started to click. The game doesn't want to throw everything at once at you, but as it introduces new elements and builds on them it just becomes a pure joy to play.

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
I did Darker Side of the Moon in Assist Mode. I have to admit, it's one of the highlights of the game (perfect challenge in easy mode, pretty sadistic otherwise). I would have to say that this is the best Mario game I have played. I am at 520 stars now, and I don't think I am going to stop anytime soon.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #556 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Whats easy mode?  And are you talking about
the first multi moon with the bosses in sequence or whats after that?
[close]

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #557 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
Whats easy mode?  And are you talking about
the first multi moon with the bosses in sequence or whats after that?
[close]

Assist Mode

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #558 on: November 13, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »
Took me quite a few tries on normal (no clue how many but more then a dozen for sure) but it was very satisfying indeed

Challenges like this is why I dont agree with the “too easy” crowd

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #559 on: November 13, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Took me quite a few tries on normal (no clue how many but more then a dozen for sure) but it was very satisfying indeed

Challenges like this is why I dont agree with the “too easy” crowd

i am talking about the very last level... i don't think i have the patience to finish it on normal :3

i think the level of challenge is perfect in assist mode; i would have done it in normal if the level had checkpoints

agrajag

« Reply #560 on: November 13, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
is mario taking a piss out of sonic? There are parts where it's all "gotta go fast" and mario is even running through rings

Bebpo

« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
Maybe I’ll try darker side on assist. Tried it once and was like nah. I fucking hate moon gravity. Already have enough problems with 3d Mario camera and judging distances at times, but at least I know the jumping physics and where I’m gonna land when I jump. Moon gravity fucks that all up and I have to watch my shadow the whole time.

Really didn’t like the final world because of it. Would’ve been better if the world before was the final world. Though the last level challenge was good.

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #562 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
Maybe I’ll try darker side on assist. Tried it once and was like nah. I fucking hate moon gravity. Already have enough problems with 3d Mario camera and judging distances at times, but at least I know the jumping physics and where I’m gonna land when I jump. Moon gravity fucks that all up and I have to watch my shadow the whole time.

Really didn’t like the final world because of it. Would’ve been better if the world before was the final world. Though the last level challenge was good.

i really do think you should try darker side on assist. it's one of the highlights of the game, imo

Eteric

« Reply #563 on: November 14, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
The jump rope thing is going to make me suicidal.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: November 14, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »
The jump rope thing is going to make me suicidal.

I gave up on that and the Picture Match. Fuck you Toad, that shit was was close enough, you snobby prick. 72 my white ass. :maf
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #565 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
i got 72 too, but i know how to beat it now

ill just use some see through paper and draw mario

see who laughs then toad

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #566 on: November 14, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Picture Match is easy, just take a screenshot before you get started.

Also: Fuck every Koopa in this game.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #567 on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Yeah I took a pic on my phone

Eteric

« Reply #568 on: November 14, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
The picture match shit I got on like my 14th try. The funny thing is the one that passed was worse than all of my other ones from an objective standpoint.

Jump rope and volleyball may stop me from 100%ing this game, though. Shit is infuriating.

sinxtanx

« Reply #569 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »
NEXT LEVEL STRATS DETAILED BELOW

Jump Rope
rotate the camera around to the side and jump when the rope hits the ground
OR
just use the sound cue
[close]

Volleyball
walk towards the ball and throw your damn hat
[close]

these missions are slightly tedious but take 20 minutes max to clear

Picture Match
pay attention to which eye is which
[close]

you can do it, I believe in you

agrajag

« Reply #570 on: November 15, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
I went back to finish Zelda after playing Mario for a while, and it's kind of jarring how bad Zelda looks in comparison, especially the frame rate.

Bebpo

« Reply #571 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
Picture match is bullshit. That's definitely the part where I said "nope, not going for all the moons in this game". I didn't find jumprope/volleyball that bad for some reason, but I guess I just got lucky.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #572 on: November 15, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »
I thought the RC Car was going to be the worst minigame after I struggled to even make it through the practice area, but it was actually easier (for me) on the real track. :lol
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #573 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »
Picture match is bullshit. That's definitely the part where I said "nope, not going for all the moons in this game".

lmao just take a picture of it, it's literally the one mini-game you can easily cheat on.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:05:49 AM by a slime appears »

Corporal

« Reply #574 on: November 16, 2017, 06:14:12 AM »
The more  I play! the more I feel like they recycled some leftover nVidia showcases/demos/some unrelated game. The art style is so inconsistent. It's really jarring at times. Especially when they try to merge it, as with the Mayor of New Donk City. Aiiiigh.

Just beat the thunder dragon thing. Kinda miffed that they recycled the "hat ship broken, go get moons" setup so very blatantly. Why not at least pretend?

Still, those ruins were pretty damn fun to dick around in. Noticing that the dragon is looking at Mario was a creepy moment. Shame that you can't run around on its body for more moons. You just slide off. Booh, what a waste.

At 337 moons now. And like 8500 coins or something. Wish there was more to do with the cash.

Still waiting for a blooper to possess. It seems like such an obvious enemy. Why doesn't it exist. I know it's an odd thing to gripe about, OK. I'm not even a blooper fan. I just think the beach or the psychedelic food area could have used them instead of the octopi or fireballs.
!list

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #575 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
I genuinely get the art inconsistency complaints. However I think it really works. It's awesome to see them not be afraid to try different visual styles and simply rely on Mario as the linchpin to tie it all together. It's a Mario game, they shouldn't be afraid to experiment with visual styles since it's just one big cartoon mess anyways.

Tasty

« Reply #576 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
The art thing is one of the (few) reasons I still feel comfortable giving Galaxy the nod over this game.

(It was also a complaint I had with Galaxy 2 and 3D World compared to Galaxy 1, though obviously far less jarring than in Odyssey.)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #577 on: November 16, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
lol i cant believe im wanting to write a defense of a nintendo game

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #578 on: November 16, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »
World>Odyssey>Galaxy>2 (US)>64>3>Galaxy 2>3D Land>3D World>1>NSMB U>okay I'm bored with this now

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #579 on: November 16, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
My top 5 would probably be

Galaxy=3>Odyssey>World>64

Odyssey even being in the running against some of the all time greats, nostalgia glasses and all, says a lot.

Tasty

« Reply #580 on: November 16, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Haven't beaten Odyssey so I can't place it yet, but I think I like it more so far than SMB3 and 64.

Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario World > Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario 64 > New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U > New Super Mario Bros. Wii > Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins > Super Mario 3D Land > Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels > Super Mario Bros. > Super Mario 3D World > Super Mario Bros. 2 > New Super Mario Bros. > New Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Land

I really should play Sunshine one of these days.

If we're counting Yoshi's Island, it's tied with Galaxy at the top for me.
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #581 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
We're not counting Yoshi's Island

Corporal

« Reply #582 on: November 17, 2017, 03:31:28 AM »
...Super Mario World is still da best. After that, probably SMB3. Then Galaxy, then Od...wait why are we doing lists now?

Anyway, yes, Yoshis Island is in a league of its own. Mario games have no chance of beating that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:35:30 AM by Corporal »
!list

Corporal

« Reply #583 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:09 AM »
Beat MariO yesterday evening. As in, got the staff scroll. Not "beat" beat.

Iunno. That Endboss fight felt awfully familiar with practically no new mechanic. Kind of a bummer, really. I guess it's Mario-y. The Mario64 worship is strong with this game, and that one had like ten identical boss fights against Bowser, with minimal modifications.

Still, couldn't they have mixed things up a bit? And I don't mean adding another tailswipe or two. :-\

The escape sequence and what leads up to it was cute, though.

Also: Bought the bone costume - finally, no more money! For a short while, at least. Constantly hitting the artificial 9999 limit was driving me nuts.

Random thought: Why would you ever want to propose with a jet or piranha plant... the outcome sounds terrible either way. :doge

Only fifteen moons to go until I'm at 500. I guess that's about as good as any number to stop at. For now, at least. I may be suffering a bit of burnout right now, but I will be back at it sooner rather than later. Still so much to do!

What a fun game.

!list

Bebpo

« Reply #584 on: November 17, 2017, 03:35:46 AM »
Also: Bought the bone costume - finally, no more money! For a short while, at least. Constantly hitting the artificial 9999 limit was driving me nuts.

How the fuck do you have so much money  :lol

I am always dirt poor. I've spent about 2,000 coins on 10x moons on two worlds, and bought the 1 moon on all of them, so that's probably another 1,500. Then bought some costumes, so maybe I spent another 1,000 coins, but that's 4,500 total and I've got like 200 coins to my name. Then again I never go out of my way to collect coins, just grab whatever I run through while doing the levels.

...Super Mario World is still da best. After that, probably SMB3. Then Galaxy, then Od...wait why are we doing lists now?

Hey, that's actually my list too. SMW, SMB3, Galaxy for top3.

Hmm, I don't remember Yoshi's Island being a great platformer? Like I remember having to aim the eggs all the time and it was a bit less fun than normal Mario platforming. I haven't played it in 25 years or something though, so maybe I should give it a replay. Wait, maybe I'm thinking of the DS Yoshi game. Man, I can't remember Yoshi's Island at all. I probably should replay it.

Corporal

« Reply #585 on: November 17, 2017, 04:48:31 AM »

How the fuck do you have so much money  :lol

I am always dirt poor. I've spent about 2,000 coins on 10x moons on two worlds, and bought the 1 moon on all of them, so that's probably another 1,500. Then bought some costumes, so maybe I spent another 1,000 coins, but that's 4,500 total and I've got like 200 coins to my name. Then again I never go out of my way to collect coins, just grab whatever I run through while doing the levels.
I dunno. I have been diligently exploring every nook and cranny. There's a whole shedload of goodies littered everywhere. For example, the stashes of coins randomly hidden away in hard to reach places are worth between 200 and 500 coins each. Grabbing a heart when you're full gets you some coins as well, and I cannot NOT grab a heart. And so on.

There's also the fact that having to redo a small "minigame"/2D/challenge segment due to missing a moon nets you quite a bit of cash as well. It just accumulates. The death penalty is ridiculously low in this game, and there's barely anything to spend your cash on.

Hey, that's actually my list too. SMW, SMB3, Galaxy for top3.

It's also a pretty diverse offering.

That said, I wish I could come to terms where to put SMB2us. I have a huge soft spot for it.

Hmm, I don't remember Yoshi's Island being a great platformer? Like I remember having to aim the eggs all the time and it was a bit less fun than normal Mario platforming. I haven't played it in 25 years or something though, so maybe I should give it a replay. Wait, maybe I'm thinking of the DS Yoshi game. Man, I can't remember Yoshi's Island at all. I probably should replay it.
Platforming is so-so in YI. There are some tricky parts, but the flutterjump can get you anywhere if you time it right. It's more about the presentation and variety. And the humongous amount of barely ever recycled end bosses. And the soundtrack. Plus, the occasional bit of humour. The whole package is incredibly cohesive.

And stay away from the DS game. It's for the better. :-\
!list

Bebpo

« Reply #586 on: November 17, 2017, 04:53:53 AM »
I actually liked the launch Yoshi touch & go game for DS. That and Feel the Magic were probably my most played launch DS games, but it was slim offerings. But yeah while I've played all the Marios outside NSMB Wii U, I've generally missed all the Yoshi Island games outside playing the first one back in the day. Next time it's on some virtual console type thing I'll give it a replay. Too lazy to mess around with roms anymore.

I have Wooly World on Wii U too, should probably play it one of these days.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #587 on: November 17, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
Haven't beaten Odyssey so I can't place it yet, but I think I like it more so far than SMB3 and 64.

Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario World > Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario 64 > New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U > New Super Mario Bros. Wii > Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins > Super Mario 3D Land > Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels > Super Mario Bros. > Super Mario 3D World > Super Mario Bros. 2 > New Super Mario Bros. > New Super Mario Bros. 2 > Super Mario Land

I really should play Sunshine one of these days.

If we're counting Yoshi's Island, it's tied with Galaxy at the top for me.
[close]
People retroactively talk too much shit about Sunshine, it was a good time. :-[
Hi

Bebpo

« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »
Got 500 moons, tried darker side, no checkpoints fuck that so much. Otherwise it's fine, but no checkpoints is bullshit masochistic. Even on assist mode I get fucked at the cloud ride part since there's nowhere along the ride to stop and rest and regain health and have to start from scratch all over again each time. Yeah, that stage is not for me.

Otherwise everything else besides dark side was cool. Very good game.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #589 on: November 18, 2017, 02:01:27 AM »
cant wait on darker side to kick my ass

currently on 330 moons and in the wooden kingdom

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #590 on: November 19, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »
cant wait on darker side to kick my ass

currently on 330 moons and in the wooden kingdom

do it in assist mode for practice, it's much easier after that

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #591 on: November 20, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
Finished Darker Side. Wasn't as bad as I expected. Once you get to the second area you're past the worst the of it.
nat

sinxtanx

« Reply #592 on: November 25, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
went through the game and thought about what would make good coin grinding spots
started with the clouds one in Bowser's Castle but it was boring
so I instead got most of my coins by starting NDC Festival, tanking hits and dying in an optimal fashion on the last section which respawns all the coins, ~250 per go-around
there's also the outside of the Inverted Pyramid where you get45coins->resetwithpipe->get45coins->etc that was easy money if you don't feel up to executing jumps with more precision than a shotgun
[close]
23000 coins later and now I have gotten literally everything there is to get
all costumes
999 moons

there's not a huge reward for doing that but it's cute enough
in this moment, I am free

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #593 on: November 25, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »
Did you get all the moons in every kingdom?

Im at 420 now

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #594 on: November 25, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
Just started yesterday and played through a bunch and have over 70 moons.  This game is very good.  Doesn't tickle my nerd pickle the way Galaxy did but this is still a great game.
🍆🍆

sinxtanx

« Reply #595 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »
Did you get all the moons in every kingdom?

I did that first, saved the last final big level you get at 500 moons for last, which landed me on 900 flat (because it took me two purchases to realize that the "buy 10 moons" option in the stores were infinite)
so I had to grind coins for the metal mario outfit and the skeleton, plus 99 moons

there was also one capture target I was missing that I had to track down

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #596 on: November 25, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
This just edged out Galaxy for me in my top 3.

SMW + SMO + SM64.

Insane we got one of the best Zeldas and Mario games of all time in a single year. The level of brilliance and progression in their world design and extremely intelligent reward cycle is remarkable.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #597 on: November 25, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Very happy i skipped most of the wii ages and the whole wii u era and jumped in now.

A 10 year nintendo break really makes me appreciate them again

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #598 on: November 25, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
I beat the game, haven't explored Dark/Darker Side yet... about 485 moons and been collecting every single moon and purple coin. The sand kingdom took forever, and fuck moving around on those Jaxis! I got everything in Cap/Cascade/Sand/Lake and am now going for the Wooded. Not sure if I can get it all done by the time Xeno 2 comes out but we'll see.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #599 on: November 25, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
Just started yesterday and played through a bunch and have over 70 moons.  This game is very good.  Doesn't tickle my nerd pickle the way Galaxy did but this is still a great game.

Never mind, went past the Metro Kingdom and consider it better than the Galaxy games.
🍆🍆