Author Topic: Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All Time: A GameFAQs Thread  (Read 19928 times)

a slime appears

• retro king
Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All Time: A GameFAQs Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »
Who the fuck puts Lester the Unlikely in their top 10?

Tasty

« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
Who the fuck puts Lester the Unlikely in their top 10?

Exactly lol.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »
fifteen games only the bore would truly know how to love with you (fifteen cuz people already listed five of em)

blast corps
super doge ball advance
nba street vol 2
day of defeat source
lego star wars: the complete saga
prince of persia (2008)
battlefield: bad company 2
mario & luigi: superstar saga
intelligent cube
theme hospital
freedom force
freedom fighters
oddworld strangers wrath
the saboteur
cook, serve, delicious!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ya i saw the typo, but  :doge
[close]

List is legit for these alone.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2017, 09:35:19 AM »
  • Red Dead Redemption - Sceneman and I used to ride out and regulate on the regular. A fantastic game which proved Rockstar could still put out a relevant OWG after the oscar-worthy-writing-bullshit fiasco of GTA IV
  • GTA III - defined a new genre
  • Zork II - cut my teeth on this on the Apple ][, opened my mind to transportative, interactive experiences, I learned to type so I could play this game better
  • Klonoa - my first 2.5D platformer; simple but challenging platform mechanic
  • Saints Row 2 — While 3 was awesome, 2 had the balls to really up the previous game's theme, modify the environment, improve existing gameplay without losing the atmostphere
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Infocom) - humor and a sense of place in the novel's universe - glorious
  • Lode Runner - another Apple ][ experience which blew my mind; I did a fanfic comic of it before I knew what fanfic was
  • Crackdown - fuck the sequel, this game was a consistent, well-implemented, drop-in drop-out co-op, modern take on the platformer, rendered as an OWG, as a launch window title on 360 — amazeballs
  • Rock Band 2 - Fixed the broken shit from RB1, fantastic tracklist, featured improvement across the board, best local multiplay experiences I've ever had
  • BULLY - a remarkable clinic by a minor studio for its big-brother on how to adapt the OWG to a setting with minimal violence, integrated storytelling, organic playable area growth, and improved everything over its predecessors
Chrono, it says right in the rules only one game per series :hitler
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2017, 03:28:44 AM »
  • Red Dead Redemption - Sceneman and I used to ride out and regulate on the regular. A fantastic game which proved Rockstar could still put out a relevant OWG after the oscar-worthy-writing-bullshit fiasco of GTA IV
  • GTA III - defined a new genre
  • Zork II - cut my teeth on this on the Apple ][, opened my mind to transportative, interactive experiences, I learned to type so I could play this game better
  • Klonoa - my first 2.5D platformer; simple but challenging platform mechanic
  • Saints Row 2 — While 3 was awesome, 2 had the balls to really up the previous game's theme, modify the environment, improve existing gameplay without losing the atmostphere
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Infocom) - humor and a sense of place in the novel's universe - glorious
  • Lode Runner - another Apple ][ experience which blew my mind; I did a fanfic comic of it before I knew what fanfic was
  • Crackdown - fuck the sequel, this game was a consistent, well-implemented, drop-in drop-out co-op, modern take on the platformer, rendered as an OWG, as a launch window title on 360 — amazeballs
  • Rock Band 2 - Fixed the broken shit from RB1, fantastic tracklist, featured improvement across the board, best local multiplay experiences I've ever had
  • BULLY - a remarkable clinic by a minor studio for its big-brother on how to adapt the OWG to a setting with minimal violence, integrated storytelling, organic playable area growth, and improved everything over its predecessors
Chrono, it says right in the rules only one game per series :hitler

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
RDR is another one I wish I could fit into my top 10 but newer open world games have surpassed it in my eyes.

I put so much time into Undead Nightmare. One of the best expansions ever.  :lawd

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
i think the reason why stuff like RDR, BoTW and Witcher 3 works while a lot of say, ubi shit is flat is because ubi put all their focus on gameplay mechanics and then put window dressings on it. CDPR, Nintendo and R* are more interested in world building. Ofc those games have a ton of overlapping fun and interesting gameplay mechanics but they help service the world they created and not the other way around.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
Sorry, I should clarify my sentence there.  I meant a few specific open world games have surpassed it aka it isn't king anymore for me.  Not that all new open world games or genre has evolved past it. And it wasn't until Witcher 3 that RDR was knocked off of the throne. It is still top 5 for me in the genre.

Part of the issue for me is purely graphical and the fact there is no PC version.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2017, 06:58:30 PM »
I'm going to bump this for new members, mostly so I know who has shit taste so I can ignore their posts going forward.

Rich!

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
One game per franchise makes this a bit easier (or harder??!) In no real order:

Donkey Kong Country 2 - SNES

Chrono Trigger - SNES

Super Mario 64 - N64

Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii

Danganronpa 1,2,3 - Vita/PC - fuck, I'm not gonna include them as just one game. The entire experience is GOAT for me

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - PC

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Zelda: Link to the Past - SNES

Metroid Prime 1 - Gamecube

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - PS1

Was pretty hard to choose a title from the Mario series as there's such variety between the 2D and 3D games with each arguably able to be considered the GOAT (apart from sunshine, ofc). Went with Mario 64 as nothing before or since matched the moment I first played it back in 1996. Same deal but the other way round for Zelda 3/OOT although Majora's Mask and BOTW are probably the best in the series overall. Metroid Prime and Super are both the best in the series whether you're looking at 2D or 3D...but Prime wins it for me although I was debating choosing Prime 2 instead.

Missed out tonnes of great games above in the list though like Sonic 3+K, Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania 3 JP, Wario Land 3, Battle Garegga, Timesplitters 2, etc
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:21:27 PM by Rich! »

Cravis

« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
I'll bite.....No particular order

Contra 3: The Alien Wars

Red Dead Redemption

Twisted Metal Black

Tekken Tag Tournament

Resident Evil remake

Super Mario Bros 3

Alien vs Predator (classic pc release by Rebellion)

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

River City Ransom

« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »
In no particular order and subject to change:

World of Warcraft (played through WOTKL)
MLB The Show 2012
Dragon Quest III
Final fantasy VI
Tetris Attack
Rocket League
Diablo III
Castlevania SOTN
Rock Band 2
Battlefield 4
WWF Wrestlefest

Para-Medic

« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2017, 12:26:52 AM »
No Particular order and always changing with the times. Currently though:

1. Drakengard 3
2. Metal Gear Solid 3
3. Persona 3 (FES/P3P included)
4. NieR: Automata
5. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (I loved it just a bit more than SOTN, sorry)
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. Fire Emblem: Awakening
8. Valkyria Chronicles
9. Pokemon Crystal
10. Parasite Eve

Honorable Mentions: Because you specified only one game per series.
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Both of these titles are shit all over in general, but I loved the darker tone of Type-0 and Lightning Returns was an absolutely beautiful end to the XIII trilogy. (Also had a great battle system, constant pressure from the clock, and tremendous payoff if you invested in the characters)

I tend to be a Story>Everything else gamer though which understandably is not a popular position.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »
A fellow weeb. Welcome.

« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2017, 12:55:08 AM »
No real order.

Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
Crystalis (NES)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Zone of the Enders 2 (PS2)
ICO (PS2)
Phantasy Star II (Genesis)
Vanquish (PS3)
Rock Band 2 (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
TIE fighter (PC)

Honorable mention: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (PS3)
野球

« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2017, 12:58:58 AM »
I'm terrible at this

Bayonetta 1&2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Persona 3
Majora's Mask
Sonic 2/3&K/Mania
Catherine
Dragon's Crown
Red Dead Redemption
Virtue's Last Reward

uuuhhh shit this is hard. I'm tempted to say Danganronpa (2 probably? 3 maybe?) for the last one because I played it very recently but I dunno. Could also be Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines or Mario 64 I guess.

There's probably more stuff I'm forgetting. I'm very indecisive and have terrible memory.

paprikastaude

« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:58 AM »
Zelda: Majora's Mask - My favorite genre is semi-open action adventure's like this. I love Zelda. This has the best atmosphere in the series, going for something almost nightmarish even if still innocent. The groundhog day mechanic allows for a world of many fullfledged characters whose stories can be played with. Everything ends on a depressing note.

Resident Evil Remake - Maybe the only legit throughout "scary" RE game before 7. Silent Hill was always the scariest, but man, Resident Evil just has so much better level design.

Killer 7 - I keep thinking about this shit until today. I feel safe to say that there's literally nothing like it. It makes Lynch movies look tame - absolutely no punches pulled. The presentaiton would lend itself extremely well for an HD remaster, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bloodborne - The first HD game I felt confident in saying that it's in my top 10. A classic horror fan's dream when it comes to presentation (I just wish there was a few more levels with bg music). Amazing level design/gameplay undermines its feeling.

Godhand - I don't know how you can make a 15 hour beat'em'up not feel stale at any point in time. Game just keeps throwing new challenges at you at all times. Always challenging, alway gotta adapt. You fight a gorilla in a wrestling costume.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - Amazingly creative Super Mario adventure. Could feel stale if you played the first one recently, but in the end it's shinier than the latter. It's funny, but also still takes itself serious enough compared to Mario & Luigi.

Super Metroid - Unbelievable level design and the atmosphere it could pull off is still mindblowing.

Skies of Arcadia: Legends- Pure adventure. Feels like you've actually discovered a whole world by the end.

Okami - I can overlook its overblown handholding because of everything else.

Nier - I haven't played this too long ago, so I don't know if it would stay here after I digested it more? I absolutely didn't get ohters gripes with the gameplay. Felt like a very competent (more actioney) Zelda-clone with awesome variety. GOAT soundtrack, great use of the medium to tell a (super depressing) narrative. Rough around the edges, but only the sidequests are really bad.

excluding handhelds games, otherwise I can't handle this.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:16 AM »
I'm excited since it seems some of the new GAF diaspora has pretty good weeby taste  8)
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
I'm excited since it seems some of the new GAF diaspora has pretty good weeby taste  8)

Man, 70% of my collection is still games from Japan, but it's getting really hard dealing with some of that hardcore weeb material nowadays.

Me seeing something like the new Xenoblade  :donot

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
Can't wait for new xenoblade.

Hey did anyone mention Faxanadu? I wanna mention Faxanadu.