Author Topic: Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All Time: A GameFAQs Thread  (Read 19535 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
This is probably one of the most basic and consistently asked question on shitty video game forums like NeoGAF LLC but given how small and intimate the community is here, I'm curious what games my favorite borians/boritos/boristas really enjoy.

Only list one game per franchise, I think that will makes things more interesting. Other than that there are no rules. Don't feel pressured to list or number them in any particular order if you don't want.

• X-Com: Enemy Within
-Brutally difficult in the best kind of way and will force you to go through all of the stages of grief multiple times per campaign.  :lol Is maybe one of the most replayable games ever made; each campaign feels fresh and different by the end.  You never know who is going to rise to the occasion to save the day or which solider will miss a crucial shot, shit their pants and end up fucking over the mission. Losing your favorite units is genuinely painful but picking up the pieces and moving forward is rewarding in its own way. A special experience.
  • Witcher 3
-I've never enjoyed just being present in a video game world as much that of the Witcher 3 (my original game file is at 450 hours  :doge). I've wasted many weekend afternoons playing Witcher 3 and just riding around in the countryside. Some of the best video game characters ever. Top tier soundtrack. One of the best games of all time with undoubtedly some of the finest DLCs ever made.
  • Okami
-Charm through the roof. Amazing graphics. The HD version still looks superb. They nailed the controls and it is a joy to just explore the world and enjoy scenery. Soundtrack is one of the best ever.  Only real complaints for me are the low difficulty and shitty unnecessary Boss Gauntlet at the end.
  • Bloodborne + The Old Hunters
-I think this is Miyazaki's masterpiece. The added weapons in Old Hunters put it over the top. The fast combat and top notch art design make up for the lack of build variety for me. I also prefer the lore in BB to Demon or Dark Souls. Dark Souls 1+ Artorias of the Abyss is a close runner up.
  • Shadow of the Colossus
-I knew after just the first hour this would be one of my favorite games ever. The tone, music and scale just made this a unbelievable special game. The remake is one of my most anticipated upcoming titles.
  • Persona 3: FES
-Amazing characters, the most interesting and consistent story of the Persona games and a memorable soundtrack. Barely gets the nod over P5 for me but it is close.
  • Super Mario Galaxy
-One of the best OSTs of all time. The space theme allowed for them to get creative with the different worlds and levels. Could easily be swapped with Galaxy 2, they're on the same tier and both are fantastic.
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
-Definitely a messy game with some uneven parts but the late game combat is intense and probably the best ever done in an open world game. BitterBlack Isle is top tier stuff.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Best dungeon in the series with Stone Tower Temple (although the rest of the dungeons are pretty underwhelming) and the transformations via masks are awesome. The almost constant impending doom gave the game a very different feel from most of the series. I really wish that transformation mechanic was carried over to later games. I should be able to transform into a Zora in BotW, god damnit.  :maf
  • Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
-I still think this game is the king of the genre, though Bayonetta is close. After DMC2 dropped the ball, DMC 3 nailed the combat and had an interesting dynamic between Dante and his brother. Playing as Vergil  :lawd

A lot of my favorite 2D games just barely missed the cut, I think I prefer 3rd person 3D games at the end of the day. SMB3, Shining Force 2, Chrono Trigger, ALttP and Pokemon (Crystal was probably my favorite, not into the games as much anymore) were close. Also missing a lot of PC games. I've put a ton of time into Age of Mythology/Age of Empires II HD and also stuff like FTL and Civilization V but they didn't quite make the cut.  Also mostly SP games from me, mostly because I'd rather forget about all the hours I've wasted on COD4 MP or Destiny.  :doge
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:53:25 PM by Let's Cyber »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All Time: A GameFAQs Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
caveman games, top gear, dino city, army men sarge's war, super adventure island 2, spy vs spy on gameboy, Krusty's Fun House, Taz in Escape from Mars, skyrim
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:53:35 PM »
Rough, off-the-top-of-my-head list:

Super Mario Galaxy - Platforming perfection. So much fun, such great atmosphere, an outstanding soundtrack, Nintendo just hit this out of the park in virtually every way.

Fallout 3 & 4 - Yeah, they do play somewhat differently, but come on. As much as I do love the old Fallouts, the combination of Bethesda RPG formula with a post-apocalyptic world is basically everything I want in a game.

Planescape: Torment - Fantastic story, I could play this game over and over and never get tired of exploring all the little corners of this weird world.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Okay, the combat is pretty bad here, but I love the setting and atmosphere so much. It oozes style out of every pore and so many of the characters are so memorable.

Breath of Fire 3 - You combine magic stones to turn into a bunch of different kinds of dragons! BoF 4 is arguably better, and Dragon Quarter is very innovative and good, but 3 is the one that I will always come back to.

Sim City 2000 - The fourth iteration had more depth, but 2000 is the ultimate city-builder.

The Witcher 3 - Possibly the greatest RPG ever made. It's got such a well-crafted and believable world full of things to do, and I actually like Geralt as a character.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - The Sonic franchise peaked early and never will be anywhere close to this good again. Even as much as I love the early Mario games, I don't think there's a 2D platformer that I can replay endless like this one.

Metroid Prime - First-person Metroid?! But they did it and somehow did it incredibly well. Complaints about controls aside, the exploration and atmosphere that Retro put together here is nothing short of incredible.

Star Ocean: Second Story - I love this game and I will fight you over it.

If I really thought about it, I'd probably make a few substitutions, but this is probably pretty close. At the very least, ever game here is very high on the top 50.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
Only list one game per franchise, I think that will makes things more interesting. Other than that there are no rules. Don't feel pressured to list or number them in any particular order if you don't want.

That's tricky, as I like multiple titles in a series.

But let's go with:

(In no order)

1. Persona 3: FES
2. Parasite Eve 2
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
5. Ninja Gaiden: Black
6. Marvel vs Capcom 2
7. Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Descent
10. Tomb Raider 2: The Adventures of Lara Croft

Honorable mentions that I'd include if wasn't limited to 10:

11. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
12. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
13. Quake 3: Arena
14. Phantom Dust
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:39:57 PM by thisismyusername »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »
Including MMOs because yes.

Top 3:
- The Lost Vikings
- Diablo 3
- Lunia (RIP)

Random order:
- Final Fantasy VII
- God of War
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- Bayonetta
- The Longest Journey
- Planetarion (not the VN)
- Dragon Quest VIII

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
The Witcher 3
Diablo 2
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Persona 3: FES
WWF No Mercy
Saints Row 3
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Tetris
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »
Hmmmm... of all time? I dunno, I'd be better off doing by console, or by genre, or something.

Phantasy Star 2, Rez, and Star Ocean 2 are probably the best of the best for me, the others change so often.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »
1. Shenmue 1 and 2

I combine them because the experiences are so integral that it's impossible for me to separate them into different experiences and story line. The second one in particular though, is easily my favorite game. A provocative, philosophical, emotional, action-packed martial arts adventure epic that goes through 4 locations. It has it all. God tier ost as well.

2. Jet Set Radio

The greatest game not called Shenmue that Sega ever made. A skill-based platformer that forces experiementation and game mastery. I have mastered this game from front to back. 645's post on LTTP post on Neogaf is a fantastic summation on why this game is one of the GOATs that is better articulated in a way better than I ever could. Beaten this more times than I can count, considering trying to beat the world record speed run eventually. Plus, the OST. :lawd

3. Resident Evil 4

The best game ever made. Perfect pacing. Great replay value. Professional mode. Mercenaries. So many costumes. So many types of weapons and play styles. The amazingly hilarious lines. Playing Tetris with your items. Amazing animations. The coolest death animations ever in a game. Talking about it just makes me want to start up a new game now.

4. Super Mario Galaxy

The only reason this is so low because it has motion controls and no game pad option which limits how it can be played (meaning it probably won't ever get a port). Other than that, when I got this it was all I did. When I replayed it again, it was all I did. Any time I touch this game, it's all I can think of. It is truly a masterpiece and the best video game of the past ten years. OST can't be topped.

5. Street Fighter IV

Particularly Ultra. So many viable play styles, over 40 characters and yet good character balance, the first fighting game to make me want to get good at it in a legitimate way even though I've been playing fighters for decades. I love this game. I played over 300 hours of it in a year when no other genre could be satisfy me because nothing else could stack up. Of last gen, combining all SFIV iterations I've clocked maybe 400-500 hours into it. Incredible game.

6. Final Fantasy VIII.

I will fight you to defend this games honor. I love it to pieces in ways I can't describe. When I think of nostalgia and video games I think of Final Fantasy VIII. Contains my favorite game ost of all time within it. It's not what I consider to be the best in the series (that's XII) but whoo boy is it my fave by like, 500 miles.

7. Suikoden II

Among the best sequels ever made. A game that craftfly creaed the world of Suikoden and made it into connected universe. Suikoden II up there with SMB3 as one of the greatest sequels ever made and it does it nicely. It improves upon every single aspect laid out in the original and single-handedly created the legacy of what made the franchise as beloved as it is. A story of war, friendship, and hard times daddeh. It has cooking competitions, 108 characters, and amazing scenarios. Owns.

8. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Similarly to Final Fantasy VIII, I in no way feel this is the best CV. That goes to III. But much like with FFVIII, it's my favorite of its respective series. It topped the formula that Metroid created. It features beautiful, beautiful music and art. Every time I play it I'm enchanted. All time classic.

9. Grand Theft Auto III Trilogy

Might as well be one game. What else needs to be said? On PC, these remain all time classics. I'm not sure the same can be said for the console versions due to their dated mechanics.

10. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

The best Zelda game IMO. Solidifying my amazing game taste.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:51:48 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »
Tetris: I can always pick up on play any version of this game (as long as it's decent...amazing that people can fuck up TETRIS) and play for hours.  Still the best puzzle game ever made.

The Secret Of Monkey Island: My all-time favorite graphic adventure.  I was addicted to this game and loved every minute of it!

Samurai Shodown II: Kept me coming back to the arcades and was my first Neo-Geo game.  I went absolutely insane when I found out that I was able to own this amazing title at home back in '96.  The game was two years old by this point, but I still pushed all the current stuff to the side to play this for hours and hours.

The King Of Fighters '98: Still the best and most perfect KOF out there.  Spent a good year and a half playing the shit out of this and dominating the competition. While I still enjoy the vanilla version, the updated '98 Ultimate Match is best version in my eyes.

Jet Set Radio: I loved everything about this game.  The game play was super-fun, but the visual aesthetic...that style...that music.  Man.  That was all me. 

Street Fighter IV: Easily my favorite game of the last generation.  I racked up hundreds of hours playing this on all the various platforms, from the 360, to the PC, to the 3DS, to the PS3, and even on iOS.   Ultra is the best version.  I prefer playing SFV now, but I can't put that game on my top 10 list.  At least not yet.

Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night: I was mesmerized by the beautiful graphics and amazing soundtrack as I explored Dracula's castle.  Easily my favorite 'metroidvania'.

Prince Of Persia: The original version found on PCs is my favorite.  I first played the Apple II version.  This game had a unique feel back in 1989 and fun, challenging game play.  I was never able to get into any of the sequels, however.

Street Fighter II: "Life-changing" is the best way to describe this game for me.  No other game had me so addicted and wanting to improve my skills.  It was a phenomenon at the time, and if you weren't around when this was big in arcades, you missed out on something special.  I don't have a particular favorite version of this game, actually.

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers: Really it's all three Real Bouts (four counting Dominated Mind) that I love.  I'm a big Fatal Fury fan and these were the best games in the series.  Garou is awesome, but it just wasn't the same.  I really wish that a new Fatal Fury would come out, because I enjoy these games more than KOF.

Various runners-up:

The Secret Of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Bust-A-Move/Groove Dance And Rhythm Action
Bust-A-Move/Groove 2: Dance Tengoku Mix
Thexder
Silpheed (Apple IIgs, not that Sega CD crap)
Donkey Kong '94 (Gameboy)
Viewpoint
Final Fight
Streets Of Rage 2
Landstalker
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Uncharted 2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Halo (Multiplayer)
Castlevania Aria Of Sorrow
Pac-Man
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
P.N.03
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Daytona USA
Saint's Row 2
Saint's Row 3
And way, way too many more!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:31:48 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
I only have a top 5:

Super Mario Galaxy
Warriors Orochi 3
Skies of Arcadia
Rallisport Challenge 2
DiRT 2
🍆🍆

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 11:34:30 PM »
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
Sexy Parodius
The Void
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition
Castlevania Chronicles
King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Final Edition
Panzer Dragoon Saga
R-Type Final
Kero Blaster (+Overtime expansion)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

edit: took off Shock Troopers and Mushihime-Sama Futari for Kero Blaster and Panzer Dragoon Saga
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:01:39 AM by brob »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »
The Secret Of Monkey Island: My all-time favorite graphic adventure.  I was addicted to this game and loved every minute of it!

#11 on my list is "Every Lucas Arts adventure game."

Which really just goes to show that "Top 10 All-Time" means a lot of really amazing games aren't going to make the cut.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »
Really? Product Number 03? :wtf

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
I should probably have Phantasy Star 2 or 4 on my list. Maybe take BG2 off? I dunno.
yar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:59:08 PM »
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Gunstar Heroes
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Tetris Attack
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Twisted Metal 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Sim City 3000 Unlimited
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
NHL 2002
Team Fortress 2
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (ha, cheated)
Sid Meier's Civilization II IV: Beyond The Sword V: Brave New World

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Secret Handshake Only Top Five:
Chex Quest
Order Up!
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Thirty Flights of Loving/Gravity Bone
You Must Build A Boat
[close]

The only reason this is so low because it has motion controls and no game pad option which limits how it can be played (meaning it probably won't ever get a port).
Having played it on Dolphin with a 360 pad, it's actually fairly easy to handle, you can map basically all the needed motion controls to all the extra buttons. Even using the second analog for basic pointer controls works well enough that with actual work done to the game it'd be fine.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:00:44 AM »
This is going to be nostalgia-heavy, but there it is:

Planescape: Torment
Path of Exile
The Witcher 3
Grandia
Shadow of the Colossus
Gothic 2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Final Fantasy VII

benjipwns

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 12:11:37 AM »
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
The revert literally changed everything.

THPS HD making the revert paid DLC is the funniest part of that disaster.

(Also, the online for this on PS2 still worked and had two other people playing as of 2013.)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 12:12:19 AM »
Never clicked with me the same way Grandia did. :yeshrug

Benji-kun, what's with the struck through games?

Himu

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
My runner ups are probably far more telling.

Saints Row 2
Castlevania III
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy IV-XII
Suikoden III
Suikoden V
Grim Fandango
Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max Hit The Road
Monkey Island II
Psychonauts
Intelligent Qube
Parappa The Rapper
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Super Street Fighter II
Zelda: A Link To The Past
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 1-3
Pocky and Rocky
Elevator Action Returns
Fatal Fury Special
King of Fighters 98
Daytona USA
Outrun
Outrun 2
Sega Rally
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Every Metal Gear game sans 4
Ninja Gaiden Black
Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)
DMC3
Monster World IV
Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap
Ys III Oath in Felghana
Faxanadu
Super Metroid
Spelunky
River City Ransom
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1+2
Chrono Cross
Valkyrie Profile 1
Vallyrie Profile 2
Persona 3
Mega Man Zero 2
Wario Ware Inc
Rhythm Tengoku
Ganbare Goemon 4
Xenogears
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
GTAV
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
Tekken Tag 1
Ninja Warriors
Alien vs Predator
The Simpsons
Another World
Fallout: New Vegas
Aladdin Genesis
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Tactics Ogre
Baldurs Gate II
Diablo II
Sim City 4
The Sims 2
Yoshi's Island
Rocket Knight Adventures
Super Metroid
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:11 AM »
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Gunstar Heroes
Chrono Trigger
Tetris Attack
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Twisted Metal 2
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Sim City 3000 Unlimited
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
NHL 2002
Team Fortress 2
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (ha, cheated)
Sid Meier's Civilization II IV: Beyond The Sword V: Brave New World

Secret Handshake Only Top Five:
Chex Quest
Order Up!
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Thirty Flights of Loving/Gravity Bone
You Must Build A Boat
[close]

The only reason this is so low because it has motion controls and no game pad option which limits how it can be played (meaning it probably won't ever get a port).
Having played it on Dolphin with a 360 pad, it's actually fairly easy to handle, you can map basically all the needed motion controls to all the extra buttons. Even using the second analog for basic pointer controls works well enough that with actual work done to the game it'd be fine.

Nice!
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
Benji: Tell me how to play Xenoblade on Dolphin with a Dual Shock 3. :doge

Himu

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

What a game.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:33 AM »
Benji-kun, what's with the struck through games?
I started with a bigger chunk of games, paired them down by deleting close to half through comparing them to what I know will survive any set of cuts (the five at the top mainly plus a Civ) until I had a real solid feeling fifteen-ish then I picked the list of ten I was okay with. But left the other five there just struck out as "runner ups/honorable mentions." The games are listed in chronological order.

And then I continued the gag for Civ which has its own set of five runner-ups. (I, II, AC, IV and VI.)

Himu

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »
How did I forget the GAWD aka SSX3? Ssx tricky as well :lawd

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
The revert literally changed everything.

THPS HD making the revert paid DLC is the funniest part of that disaster.

(Also, the online for this on PS2 still worked and had two other people playing as of 2013.)

THPS is one of those games where I loved it at the time but haven't played it since release so I can't accurately judge it anymore. Should get 1 and 2 for Dreamcast and 3 for ps2.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:11 AM »
A lot of people regard 3 highly, IIRC. But if you were going to get 2 I think 2 X-box is the way to go.

Been a while since I've heard people bickering about the "best version" of those.

Himu

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
2 was on Xbox? Damn. But that means taking out the Xbox. DC it is.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:33:03 AM »

Really.  I had a lot of fun with that game.  Solid arcade shooting mechanics and I enjoyed the aesthetic and music a lot.

Looking at other lists and thinking about stuff makes me realize how much I left out.  Stuff like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Windjammers, Beach Spikers, Gunstar Heroes, Super Monkey Ball, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Sengoku Basara 2 (Really just about all of them), Senran Kagura (lulz), Contra, BAYO-FUCKIN'-NETTA 1 AND 2, etc.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 12:34:59 AM »
Fucking Killer 7. I have too many faves. :lawd
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 12:36:41 AM »
Benji: Tell me how to play Xenoblade on Dolphin with a Dual Shock 3. :doge

:patel

A lot of people regard 3 highly, IIRC. But if you were going to get 2 I think 2 X-box is the way to go.

Been a while since I've heard people bickering about the "best version" of those.
2X. It's the first two games combined with a few new maps, it also increases all the graphics and stuff. Even more so than DC, and plus you actually have enough buttons to play it with. Treyarch did it just like they did the 2 DC up-port.

The largest problem I have with 3 is that I don't think the maps/goals are as good as 1 or even 2 but the revert and general gameplay is such an improvement. 2X mostly solves the map issue, except for the fact that you play through the 2 maps first. Oh, and even the S controller is not really ideal with the lack of four top buttons.

thisismyusername

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_2#Pro_Skater_2x

Yes? It's been like, ported everywhere. :lol

Really.  I had a lot of fun with that game.  Solid arcade shooting mechanics and I enjoyed the aesthetic and music a lot.

I dunno. It got repetitive really fast for me. Pretty graphics and I don't mind the tits-and-ass, but the "shooting mechanics" you laud did nothing for me. And I say that as a fan of arcade shooters like Galaga and the like.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:12 AM »
How did I forget the GAWD aka SSX3? Ssx tricky as well :lawd

EA BIG
:lawd

SSX, Rally Shox, Freekstyle, NBA Street! :drool
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 12:43:50 AM »
Something recent I've been playing (and need to finish already) that's definitely way up there is Cave Story.  It's so good.  I still can't believe I missed out on this before.
ど助平

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
Oh fuuuck, SSX was the GOAT.

Himu

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 01:18:39 AM »

Looking at other lists and thinking about stuff makes me realize how much I left out.  Stuff like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Windjammers, Beach Spikers, Gunstar Heroes, Super Monkey Ball, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Sengoku Basara 2 (Really just about all of them), Senran Kagura (lulz), Contra, BAYO-FUCKIN'-NETTA 1 AND 2, etc.

Warriors Orochi 3 :lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »
I realize more and more with time that I might truly be the only one who preferred JSRF to JSR.

Both are great games, though.

This is actually the more popular opinion. Much to my chagrin. Many think JSR is an outdated badly playing game and it pisses me off.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:55 AM »
:confused really? Thought it was the opposite.

JSR still plays great. I just love how JSRF is like a weirdo hip version of your SM64 type 3D platformer.

Nope. People say JSR is shit after HD version came out.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 01:47:49 AM »

man, i really should go for that speed run world record :bow
IYKYK

archnemesis

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 02:00:00 AM »
• Civilization VI (2016)
• Counter-Strike (1999)
• Demon's Souls (2009)
• Ico (2002)
• Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2002)
• Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (1989)
• Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (2005)
• The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002)
• The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992)
• X-Com: Enemy Unknown (1994)

Most of this list stays the same. I sometimes add Final Fantasy VI, Transport Tycoon, Suikoden II, Mount & Blade: Warband and a handful of other games.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 05:07:43 AM »
All these Super Mario Galaxy and Witcher 3 picks.  :preach

And a few DMC3  :mynicca

And not a single mention of The Last of Us.  :shaq  :heh
It's a fine game, just way over hyped at this point.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:18:45 AM by Let's Cyber »

archnemesis

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »
The Last of Us made my top 10 list of whatever year it was released. All recent Naughty Dog games are great, but also very scripted and not that fun to replay. I look forward to the Uncharted spinoff coming later this year.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »
Never clicked with me the same way Grandia did. :yeshrug

Just playing, breh. At least we can agree the rest that came after sure as shit didn't stack up.
I couldn't even finish Grandia 3. :-\

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Doing this is weird for me because I have a list I created a long time ago but I haven't really spent any time updating it with things from the last handful of years. A lot of it is a decade + old. Going back and looking through some old lists and sorting things around my first draft list looks something like this:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Super Metroid
Dark Souls
The Witcher 3
Half Life 2 (and episodes)
Burnout Paradise
Devil May Cry 3
Mass Effect 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

nat

Tasty

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992)

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but I still prefer the concise, self-contained style of this one to Breath of the Wild. Maybe in a few years once the dust has settled and I've done another playthrough or two for that game, I'll feel differently, but it's hard to top how much of an impact ALttP had on me in my formative gaming years. The spritework is incredible, the music as good as ever, and combined with the lore in the instruction booklet, I've never felt so compelled to explore a gaming world. While the overworld is small (even taking into account the Dark World) compared to other Zeldas, I feel it works in its favor. There's so much to do in every square of the map and it rarely recycles its tricks and gimmicks. My favorite Zelda ever.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)

I count this as a Yoshi game despite its title.

Does 2D platforming get better than this? The other mainline Mario platformers might have tighter controls and higher speed, but there's something about ambling around Yoshi's Island collecting coins, opening doors, and groundpounding through fluff that's sheer joy. The graphical style has aged like fine wine, and the game is oddly emotional and "epic" at times (in a "Saturday Morning Cartoon" sort of way.) In that respect, it's a lot like Super Mario Galaxy - my proper choice for favorite Mario platformer.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999)

I'm not a huge strategy fan, but there's something special about Alpha Centauri. It feels like a work of art - the futuristic, creative vision of a singular person at the top of their game. Every faction leader feels so different, and the ongoing plot is so mysterious and powerful, it's hard not to get drawn in immediately. I can't really judge the gameplay since I haven't played many other turn-based strategies, but since it was my first I still find it simple to learn and hard to master, with a huge depth and freedom to approach any given situation in potentially hundreds of different ways.

Resident Evil 4 (2005)

RE4 was both my first Resident Evil game and my first M-rated game. What a way to start out, huh? Millions of words have been poured as praise on this game so I don't really have much to say here, other than this: looking back on it now, it's still astounding how much content and variety there is in the game. Dozens and dozens of unique, one-off areas that all seamlessly connect and draw you into its horrific world. Thinking about it, RE4 is the most "immersive" game on my list of favorites.

Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Mario, distilled, and with grand epic flare to boot. It's crazy to think this came after Super Mario Sunshine, but on the other hand there was an entire half-decade between the two releases. Every minute of development time spent on this game was worth it. Like with RE4, there's so much content here. So many worlds and stars and bosses. The music and graphical style are absolutely impeccable, and the streamlining of platforming objectives (while still allowing for a bit of freedom here and there) attained the most-perfect balance in the series.

I don't mean to slog on Super Mario Galaxy 2, it's an absolutely fantastic game, and a bit more challenging, but I don't equate challenge with quality. On their own merits, I find the first Galaxy much more consistent in just about every area (art style, mechanics (fuck the Fluzzard), music, balance of open vs. linear, boss battles) and I also give points for the Rosalina storybook and general grander feeling of the original game. Galaxy 2 started out as a level pack, and it shows in some of its non-platforming related areas. I could be convinced Galaxy 2 is a better platformer, but I stand firm in my belief Galaxy is the better game.

The House of the Dead: Overkill (2009)

The House of the Dead is one of my favorite series ever, but this one wasn't even made by the original developers! It's also M-rated as fuck, with F-bombs, gore, vomit, incest, urination and the works. The graphics are janky but I feel it compliments the groundhouse style nicely, while the music is some of the catchiest of all time.

I give Overkill the nod over the original series for a few reasons: ridiculously satisfying shooting, the combo and upgrade system, and the ridiculous plot (which set a Guinness World Record for amount of "fuck"s in a single game) that still makes me chuckle to this day. Yes, the other games were great cheesy fun with lines that have gone down in gaming history ("Suffer like G did?" "They disturbed the loife cycle!"), but literally every aspect of Overkill clicked for me and elevated the game to more than the sum of its parts.

Pokémon SoulSilver (2010)

It was between Platinum, SoulSilver, White, and Moon, but I had to give credit to the remake of my pre-Gen 4 favorite. SoulSilver is a master class in how to remake a game. The mix of 2D and 3D graphics still look great to this day - even better than Black/White, which came out a year later. SoulSilver knew when to use 3D and when to stick to 2D, while with White it seemed like Game Freak were so excited about the third dimension they couldn't help putting it everywhere - jaggies be damned.

From a gameplay perspective, it was Pokemon, and SoulSilver's strengths lie in its world and how Game Freak added and updated it. Like some other games on my list, SoulSilver just has so much content. Two regions, 16 badges, the Safari Zone, the Gen 4 Battle Frontier, etc. Even the Pokeathlon was great! Where as usually those kind of side quests are super lame (see: Contests and Super Contests.) All told, HeartGold and SoulSilver probably have the greatest amount and variety of content in the series, even to this day.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012)

The Animal Crossing series is the zen garden of gaming, and New Leaf was a stark improvement over City Folk. While I'll always have nostalgic, fond memories of the original GameCube game, New Leaf brought me back to the series in a huge way after I thought I was done with it. It's still Animal Crossing at its core, but it tweaked and improved on the city concept, added swimming/diving, brought back the island, and integrated with online seamlessly. Some of my favorite gaming memories are the two-week stretch after release when I'd play and the game would notify me someone from the Bore hopped online, and then sending messages to-and-fro. Those couple times four of us here went to the Island to catch beetles gives me warm fuzzies to think about. The prospect of having to reacquire all my items in a potential Switch version is daunting, but I'm still excited at the online upgrades they might do. If it can capture half of the online fun I've had with New Leaf, I'd consider it a great success.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014)

I'm not a pro player, so while Super Smash Bros. Melee is probably the better game mechanically, I'm choosing the latest and greatest for a word I've used a lot in this post: content. The amount of stages and characters here is off the charts, and the gameplay is still great - occupying a nice middle ground between Melee's sky-high skill ceiling and Brawl's casual party focus. It's easy to understate just how big an achievement I feel Smash 4 is. The graphics are 1080p 60 fps and ditched the dirty dishwater style Brawl had, making the characters and stages pop. The online is serviceable. It and Mario Kart 8 brought Nintendo into the DLC era in a major way, with several fan favorite characters returning - not to mention insane third-party picks like Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta.

There's a crazy amount of modes, although I will knock the Wii U version here: Classic Mode on 3DS, and that game's Smash Run mode, are both improvements over the Wii U version's counterpart. That aside, while I find something to love in every Smash game, I can't ignore how massive or polished Smash for Wii U feels. It even finally introduced a character so fun to play it swayed me away from Luigi (my main since 64): Villager.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017)

The original release of Mario Kart 8 saw the series reach its apex as a kart racer. MK8 somehow balances all the crazy gimmicks added in the last few releases: from bikes in Mario Kart Wii, to paragliders and sub-propellers in Mario Kart 7, to its own huge gameplay twist with anti-gravity. It all flows together in any given track so that you're constantly engaged. It looked crazy gorgeous (even in 720p), the online was a dream, and the added 16 DLC courses (not to mention 200cc mode) were all done so, so, so ridiculously well. The drawback was that Battle Mode, long a staple in the series, was shockingly malnourished. Yes, you could pop balloons, but only on the actual race tracks that were not meant for it at all. And all it had was Balloon Battle.

MK8 Deluxe took the base game with DLC and completely revamped the battle mode. Now there's five to choose from - four returning modes (Balloon Battle, Shine Thief, Coin Runners, and Bob-bomb Blast) and the absolutely joyous Renegade Roundup (basically cops and robbers.) They're all crazy fun to varying degrees, but yeah, Renegade Roundup might just be my favorite. In addition to all that, it added purple sparks and double held-items, making this Mario Kart the full package. Finally, it cranked the resolution to a full 1080p (when docked.)

It was a little hard for me to choose between Mario Kart DS and the original Mario Kart 8, but Deluxe supersedes both. As someone who prefers battling to racing, MK8 Deluxe delighted me and I've already put over 45 hours into it. In a few months I may have even spent more time with it than Breath of the Wild.

Wish I could have found a place for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, The Evil Within, Tetris DS, WarioWare D.I.Y., or Mega Man X here, but I'm pretty satisfied with my choices.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:28:57 AM by Tasty Meat »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

goosebumps.... :lawd
[close]

Streets of Rage 2

yuzo koshiro da god
[close]

SSX3

:rejoice
[close]

Final Fantasy X

I was like 12 or 13 when I beat this and I cried at the end.
[close]

Ninja Gaiden Black

are you ninja dog or master? bless up

Call of Duty: Black Ops III

I think the campaign is a lot more clever than ppl give it credit and while I hate the loot drop system and what CoD has sort of become because of it, I still put a ton of time into it and I'm okay with this probably being my last CoD game (for awhile...). Between this and BLOPS2, Treyarch had the juice.

LISTEN ONLY TO THE SOUND OF MY VOICE
LET YOUR MIND RELAX
LET YOUR THOUGHTS DRIFT
LET THE BAD MEMORIES FADE
LET PEACE BE UPON YOU
SURRENDER YOURSELF TO YOUR DREAMS
LET THEM WASH OVER YOU LIKE THE GENTLE WAVES OF THE BLUEST OCEAN
LET THEM ENVELOPE YOU, COMFORT YOU
IMAGINE SOMEWHERE CALM
IMAGINE SOMEWHERE SAFE
IMAGINE YOURSELF IN A FROZEN FOREST
YOU'RE STANDING IN A CLEARING
THE TREES AROUND YOU ARE SO TALL THAT THEY TOUCH THE SKY
PURE WHITE SNOW FLAKES FALL ALL AROUND
YOU CAN FEEL THEM MELT ON YOUR SKIN
YOU ARE NOT COLD
IT CANNOT OVERCOME THE WARM OF YOUR BEATING HEART
CAN YOU HEAR IT?
YOU ONLY HAVE TO LISTEN..
DO YOU HEAR IT SLOWING?
YOU ARE SLOWING IT
YOU ARE IN CONTROL
CALM
AT PEACE
[close]

The Red Star

weird combination of a bunch of genres i love that had a weird dev cycle and became a late console cycle release ppl forgot about, aka, a toku classic

Shadows of the Damned

I love this game so much I spent like 60 dollars importing the signed soundtrack

#inspirational #goals #music goals
[close]

Alice: Madness Returns

I like both in the series about the same, and they're both different enough even just from a style and music stand point but I'm listing the second     partly for the score and tone that was less 90s grungey.

[close]

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

"Like all the bad things in my life, it started with the death of a woman"

:noah
[close]

*not a top 10 or listed in any particular order

Lothar

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
1. Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy X
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Mario Galaxy
5. Nier Automata
6. Super Metroid
7. Earthbound
8. Grand Theft Auto V
9. Resident Evil 2
10. Last of Us

To be honest, I haven't played Xenogears in 15 years or more.  At the time I loved it more than anything else.  It's still here because of the way I felt about it 15 years ago.

11. Chrono Trigger
12. Silent Hill 3
13. Dragon Quest 8
14. Shadow of the Colossus
16. Lemmings
16. Castlevania: SOTN
17. Conker's Bad Fur Day
18. F-Zero GX
19. Red Dead Redemption
20. Secret of Mana

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
There's more than 10 Final Fantasy games so tbh this isn't fair
vin

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »
not one of you mentioned doom. not one. you're all disappointments to me and your mother.
pcp

etiolate

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
The one per franchise is tough for me.

Super Metroid over Metroid Prime by a smidge.
Guild Wars 2 over GW1, though I think the first was a bit tighter.
Ico
Skies of Arcadia
Double Dash over the other Mario Karts
Diablo 2
Mario 64
Team Fortress 2
Final Fantasy 6
Tempest 2000

Notes: Witcher 3 may eventually replace something there, but I need to give it more time to see how long it lasts in my head. Wanted to put a sports game up there, but it was between NBA Jam TE, NBA Courtside 2 or NFL Blitz. None of those were quite good enough. Almost put Wind Waker up there. I am probably forgetting a SNES game that I loved but can't recall. Almost put up SSF2Turbo as my fighting game. That or Soul Calibur 2. SSX Tricky almost replaced Tempest 2k.

I feel like Goldeneye 64 should make the list due to the massive amounts of hours played in that game and the great level design. However, it is a victim of technological age, so I cut it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:25:41 PM by etiolate »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 04:56:24 PM »
In no particular order.

Silent Hill 2
The GOAT Survival Horror game. I don't think it will ever be topped. And Fuckonami.

Mario 64
Hasn't really aged. Timeless. Still shit all over any other 3D Mario.

Sid Meier's Pirates!
I have no idea how many hours I've poured into this game, on both Amiga and Amstrad platforms. Remade many-a-time, but somehow it never felt as good as the OG.

Killzone 2
That's right. Come at me. Played the campaign once, didn't really care for it. Had tons of fun in MP with a bunch of crazy euro GAFers. Good times.

Secret of Mana
IMO the best jARPG ever. Great music. Good gameplay. Fun story. Pretty graphics. And 3p MP? All over my face.

The Lost Vikings
One of the most creative puzzle/platforming games ever. And hilarious, too.

The Last of Us
No explanation needed, I assume.

Demon's Souls
Had a lot of super obscure stuff that was just brilliant. None of the following FROM titles came close to surpassing this game.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Best Zelda game, period.

God of War III
Because HOLY SHIT THAT OPENING

Runner-ups
Horizon: Zero Dawn, Syndicate, X-com (the OG), Shadowrun (SNES), Theme Park, Destruction Derby, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Lemmings, Warhawk, Starcraft, MGS2, Super Mario World, Bomberman, Crash Team Racing, Megaman X, C&C: Red Alert, Diablo, Dungeon Keeper. And a fuckton of other games.

Edit: I forgot Toy Commander and Powerstone
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:12:26 PM by Raist »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
This might trigger some: Same goes for Halo CE for me.

:trigger :trigger :trigger
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
Surprised people are choosing Mario 64 over Galaxy. It has a slight advantage in how much freedom Mario's controls have, and a better overworld, but that's about it IMO. Oh and I guess some might knock the motion controls in Galaxy but they're honestly fine. Different strokes.

Also, if we're posting the music from our top games...

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1992)

[close]

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)

[close]

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999)

[close]

Resident Evil 4 (2005)

[close]

Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Since Gusty Garden Galaxy was already posted, here's the second and third best tracks:

[close]

The House of the Dead: Overkill (2009)

[close]

Pokémon SoulSilver (2010)

[close]

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012)

[close]

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2014)

[close]

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017)

[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »
SMAC/SMAX. :rejoice

The best Sid Meyer title. So good it got a GURPS campaign on it. :lol

Lothar

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »
In no particular order.

Silent Hill 2
The GOAT Survival Horror game. I don't think it will ever be topped. And Fuckonami.

It was topped with Silent Hill 3.  I don't see how 2 is the best Survival Horror game when it's the least scary out of SH 1-3.  You were given far too much ammo and the music wasn't quite as creepy as 1 and 3.  True, it had the best story though.  (However I liked and cared the most for Heather in SH3 than any other character in the series)

Mario 64
Hasn't really aged. Timeless. Still shit all over any other 3D Mario.

I replayed Mario 64 a year ago and I had to quit a few stages before the end.  I could not take anymore of that camera and controls.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »
Silent Hill 2 has a much better story than 3. The horror is better in 3 but it depends on what you want. I personally think the story in 2 edges it past 3 since 2 IMO has the best story ever in a game especially with in water ending.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 09:21:05 PM »
We can all agree that SH3 has the best intro music.

Himu

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »
Gotta say even in terms of scares I think 2 is better. The scariest thing about 3 is the mirror room. 2 had pyramid head, the floor labyrinths, all kinds of shit.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2017, 09:56:47 PM »
Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
Overwatch
Castlevania SOTN
The Wolf Among Us
Dead Space
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Katamari Damacy
Final Fantasy VII
Uno on XBLA.
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
4's story about Child Abuse was the only good thing to happen from 4.

Himu

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
I need to replay Silent Hill 2 this year. Such a classic. :bow I'll up the ps2 during Halloween season.

Speaking of "the best survival horror game", I need to beat REmake too. I truly think it's the best the genre has to offer. I often refuse to play it and have never beaten it because I find it too oppressive, scary, and downright frightening. From the audio to the visuals to the gameplay it's the complete package as far as the genre goes and is fucking stressful to play.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
Gunstar Heroes
Doom
MGS
Diablo II
Fallout 3
GTA III
Everything
Hotline Miami