Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI  (Read 44151 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Dragon Quest XI Officially announced for US (Sept 4, 2018 - PS4/PC)
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
not sure if i should buy this immediately bc i fucking love dragon quest or should i finish mafia 3, horizon, and shenmue bc im already playing those.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2018, 02:58:30 PM »
not sure if i should buy this immediately bc i fucking love dragon quest or should i finish mafia 3, horizon, and shenmue bc im already playing those.

Gonna wait for either a PC price-drop or more info on the Switch version.  Maybe they'll finally have something to show at TGS?
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
lol the switch version. at this point they might as well wait a year or two and release it with bonus content for double dippers. assuming it's not canceled ofc.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »
lol the switch version. at this point they might as well wait a year or two and release it with bonus content for double dippers. assuming it's not canceled ofc.

It's coming.  It's not like DQ doesn't already have a big presence on Switch- they ported over DQ Heroes I&II, Builders, and DQX, plus announced Builders 2 for it.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/08/dragon-quest-11-switch-version-making-progress/
While speaking during the Niconico live stream “Everyone Get Excited! Live Stream from the Dragon Quest XI Concert Backstage,” series creator Yuji Horii actually brought up the Nintendo Switch version of the game.

He said, “I can’t really speak about it, but it is progressing smoothly.” He then went on to say, “I have a feeling we’ll have a variety of announcements around TGS, but just how much we will say…” and stopped pretty much there.

I'd be more interested in having a portable version of this game, so I'm waiting to see.  Also wondering if they might add more content.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:20:41 PM by bork »
ど助平

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: Dragon Quest XI Officially OUT for US (Sept 4, 2018 - PS4/PC)
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
No fanfare on PSN about the release just some sort of shitty Destiny 2 preorder splash screen. This game was sent to die.
:9

archie4208

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
I mean it plays great on PC so far?
I've played for about 2 hours, and I was a bit too gung ho with my prior post.  While I've mostly held at 1080p/60fps, however there have been some noticeable framerate drops (primarily when water is involved, which is odd since the water doesn't look special).  I did lower the AA as I normally don't use it very often in games in general.

Basically you'll want at least a 1070 if you want a rock solid 60 FPS at 1080p that never drops, but even with the drops I think it still performs better than the PS4 version (which I think is locked at 30 regardless if you have a base PS4 or a Pro).  At least it's leaps and bounds above Nier: Automata.  :doge

No fanfare on PSN about the release just some sort of shitty Destiny 2 preorder splash screen. This game was sent to die.
FWIW, it's currently the best selling game on Steam.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »

FWIW, it's currently the best selling game on Steam.

That's awesome! I just hope it does extremely well so we get more of these console based Dragon Quests

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
Goddamn it feels good to have a real DQ game again.
serge

Himu

« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2018, 10:44:30 PM »
It's release day and I don't have the time for a Dragon Quest. It makes me really, really sad. I hope it does well but I'll be super petty if people are suddenly like,"WOW THIS IS AMAZING" after years of shitting on DQ.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »
I'll be super petty if people are suddenly like,"WOW THIS IS AMAZING" after years of shitting on DQ.

Who cares? People thought I'd be like this with MH World but I'm really just glad the franchise is

1. Continuing at all
2. Still quality
3. Popular enough in the West to localize a jillion TB of text

Live and let live. When you defiine your tastes by what people hate you're not able to really love something.

Himu

« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2018, 12:01:08 AM »
I'm sorry but years and years of "dragon quest has no story" "you grind in those rite" ;etc but i'll try
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2018, 12:02:19 AM »
Don't worry, Cindi. I'm confident you'll hate the game once you play it.
yar

Himu

« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »
I will never hate Dragon Quest. I love every single one. Dragon Quest is a warm blanket. Dragon Quest is that sweet smell at your library. DQ is like opening a new dvd or blu ray and taking a whiff of the chemicals. Or the rainbow after a harsh rain. DQ is your mom tucking you in bed and kissing you on the forehead. Ever reliable, DQ is an old friend. How could I ever hate it? :brazilcry

It’s the one franchise that hasn’t sold out. :heartbeat
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:18:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2018, 12:27:52 AM »
I used to be able to say that about Pokemon but I don't really know wtf they're doing with those games this year.

Hopefully things can go back to normal next year.

Himu

« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2018, 12:37:43 AM »
DQ is like Pokémon in the sense that they don’t change much so they're reliable. Rather than change game to game, DQ builds upon old features each game. So what you have now is 30 years of examining what works and what doesn’t. Some people call it archaic, I call it classic. Or perfection. I’d say Pokemon is like that in the sense that it’s a series that builds upon what’s established in the series to make it better but DQ in a more elaborate fashion. So I can see you enjoying DQ, Tasty.

I suggest playing a game on your phone. You can beat 1 in a day.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2018, 04:09:57 AM »
I'll say this, 30 hours in and I haven't had to grind at all. In fact I feel legit overpowered at this point. I think my metal slime kill count is only 2 and my lms kill count is 0.
NO

archie4208

« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2018, 06:18:13 AM »
I'll say this, 30 hours in and I haven't had to grind at all. In fact I feel legit overpowered at this point. I think my metal slime kill count is only 2 and my lms kill count is 0.
I played about 5 hours yesterday and I barely fight enemies at all.  I will face an enemy if I haven't seen it before just to look at their animations and models (which are awesome).  Otherwise I try my best to avoid fights.  I did the first "real" boss before going to bed last night and it was a bit challenging,  but honestly it wasn't that bad at all.

paprikastaude

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2018, 06:51:49 AM »
I've seen a review yesterday that said you can get through the first 50 hours with auto-battle.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
Seems like that hard mode challenge is where the game should have been? I'm considering starting over just to turn it on. Dont want to sleepily press X to win through the game.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »
Did yall not choose any draconian quests? I did the enemies are super strong and also the one that gives you less xp for fighting weak monsters

I caved

I bought it :(

now im really broke as a joke
What

archie4208

« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
I didn't know you could turn them off but not turn them on.  I wish I had turned on harder enemies but I'm not replaying the first few hours just for that.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
I died by the way and gonna have to replay at least one hour
What

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2018, 06:41:15 PM »
Started a new game with Harder Enemies and the EXP of weaker enemies lowered. The initial smog fight actually got me to use a medicinal herb. They were also way more nimble.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »
I'm impressed Square Enix, this game has a reversible cover done right. Which is actually very rare.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »

:aah
What

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
Seems like that hard mode challenge is where the game should have been? I'm considering starting over just to turn it on. Dont want to sleepily press X to win through the game.

Man, I’m not starting over at this point. Kinda bummed I’m stuck with an easy game.

Eh, these are never difficult for very long anyway.
serge

Freyj

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
Super Strong enemies doesn't fuck around. Feels like it should really.

bluemax

« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2018, 02:43:45 AM »
I played about 5 hours yesterday and I barely fight enemies at all.  I will face an enemy if I haven't seen it before just to look at their animations and models (which are awesome).  Otherwise I try my best to avoid fights.  I did the first "real" boss before going to bed last night and it was a bit challenging,  but honestly it wasn't that bad at all.

In general I fight every new enemy I see so that I add them to my monster list and after that I largely avoid them. I also don't run from fights, so on the ocean where it's all random I fought a decent amount. I've also explored A LOT and forged pretty much every piece of equipment available to me at any point.

There's only really been 1 boss fight in the last 3 or 4 towns. There were a couple of dungeons with monsters at the end that were just ones from a slightly later area.

Having more than 1 character who can cast midheal and being able to swap people out makes things a lot easier.
NO

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »

Man, I’m not starting over at this point. Kinda bummed I’m stuck with an easy game.

Eh, these are never difficult for very long anyway.

It seems like you cant skip scenes too? So trying to get back to the point you are now would be a pain in the ass.

But Freyj is right. These hard enemies make it so youre trying to upgrade your gear as soon as possible and gaining more abilities.

Freyj

« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
You can skip cutscenes you've seen already in the save you're on. Very dumb decision because I didn't see the Draconian prompt at first (way to make that easily noticeable) and had to watch the intro cutscenes again.

And yeah fighting enemies you haven't seen yet seems like a good plan. There's far too many to fight each one and they respawn at that. At least it's better than IX where the speed and size of the visible encounters made it pretty much impossible to easily avoid them, esp in dungeons.

archie4208

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
Huh, I died to a boss on normal mode.   :ohhh

Too bad I lost like 30 minutes progress.  :fbm

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
Too bad I lost like 30 minutes progress.  :fbm

Ahhh the game is nostalgic in many ways

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2018, 06:05:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:aah

Dunno, feels like it's missing something here.  Wait, I know...!

ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2018, 08:48:37 PM »
Picked this up today, gonna specifically leave the US cover art displayed and use english voice actors. ARE YOUR JIMMIES NOT RUSTLED, WEEBS?
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
Picked this up today, gonna specifically leave the US cover art displayed and use english voice actors. ARE YOUR JIMMIES NOT RUSTLED, WEEBS?

Good sir, this is an English-language original anime (because Squeenix Japan was too cheap to record a Japanese audio track)
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
:jeanluc
yar

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »
The item creation system is so simple and yet so satisfying. I used 5 pearls to upgrade that MP curative accessory. Went from 1mp per turn to 2mp. I'm weebing out, man.

Switters

« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
Hello. I impulsively bought this game because I'm rich and weak-willed.

I was really disappointed in Ni No Kuni II, mostly due to the combat being easy breezy and boring.

How's the difficulty in this one?
troll

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2018, 11:06:36 AM »
Hello. I impulsively bought this game because I'm rich and weak-willed.

I was really disappointed in Ni No Kuni II, mostly due to the combat being easy breezy and boring.

How's the difficulty in this one?

Pretty easy by default, but you can tweak the difficulty with Draconian Quests. They turn on harder enemies, less XP, other stuff. FYI, they're easy to miss, you have to turn them on during the "Input Name" screen or you're locked out of them. I had no clue when I started the game.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2018, 01:14:25 AM »
Fucking sand blaster is blasting my ass

What

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »
I’ve never played a Dragon Quest. Should I get this one?

Part of its charm is its nostalgic for series vets so that will be lost on you. But if youre in the mood for old school JRPG mechanics id go for it.

archie4208

« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2018, 08:55:05 AM »
It's just charming in general.  There is a complete lack of unlikable, brooding assholes and forced melodrama which is in a lot of JRPGs. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
6.5ish hours in and my only real complaint is Erik's english voice actor, and even that's more "meh" than "omg stfu"
yar

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
6.5ish hours in and my only real complaint is Erik's english voice actor, and even that's more "meh" than "omg stfu"

Sometimes he affects this Jersey accent. Its hilarious

Freyj

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
My only complaint so far is it’s almost too good.

And you have a hand crafted world with nooks and crannies and most of them are empty?

:cmonson put a mini medal there or something

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2018, 11:35:23 AM »
To Jack, if youve played and enjoyed Blue Dragon you'll love this game

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
I love how you can see what stats and parameters change in a piece of equipments description page when upgrading it via the forge. Good way to see if its worth investing in the item.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
Veronica is amazing. Shes the antithesis of the mentally challenged child in Star Ocean 4.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
Man why the fuck every jrpg gotta have the "oh here's a cute and precocious girl child but ACTUALLY she's far older, tee hee, wink wink nudge nudge, don't feel bad about your pedo instincts my weebs" trope

yar

Freyj

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
Is the swap equipment mid fight with no penalty a new thing? Haven’t played VIII or IX in forever and can’t remember but it owns to swap around to whatever weapon is best to the situation.

Game got too easy after Gallopolis, Metal slimes everywhere and super farmable area with 12 groups of 4 wizard bros all standing in place around a thing, but I had to grind, gotta ocd farm mats, get +3 crafts on everything...

Still fun but I miss the old DQ cross a bridge and get fuckin’ rekt noob gameplay.

Yes, the Super Strong thing is on, this game would honestly be pure derp without it.

I’m mostly fighting new monsters once and avoiding anything else, still maintaining mostly +2 / +1 and get deaths from time to time. Difficulty seems fine so far if you aren’t grinding.

« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »

English voice acting + original JP cover art = win.

Question:

Sometimes you notice those little blue ghosts sitting around or walking. Usually close to a treasure. Are they just kinda treasure markers or will I get a quest/ ability 50 hours in that I need to go back and talk to each one of them?

I'm wondering the same thing. I've seen at least two so far and they vanish when you get too close.
野球

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2018, 03:31:33 PM »
Apparently those little apparitions come into play down the line

Man why the fuck every jrpg gotta have the "oh here's a cute and precocious girl child but ACTUALLY she's far older, tee hee, wink wink nudge nudge, don't feel bad about your pedo instincts my weebs" trope

Let the weeb flow through you :rejoice
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:38:37 PM by BlueTsunami »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »
Apparently those little apparitions come into play down the line

Let the weeb flow through you :rejoice

Nah bruh, shit is gross.

This, tho...

:phil
yar

archie4208

« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2018, 05:38:01 PM »
Question #2:

How can I change the voice over to Japanese? No option inside the game.

The english is pretty damn amazing (Gemma's, Erik's) - as it was in DQ8 - but I played FF15 with JPN VO and I would like it here as well for the inner weeaboo.
DQ11 doesn't have JP voice acting.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2018, 06:34:42 PM »
I'm told there is no Japanese VA, they just dubbed it for the international release.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »
Taking the game slow and steady. Just escaped the dungeon this afternoon, after about 6 hours.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2018, 08:33:24 PM »
playing with hard enemies and the first boss smoked me at level 9. will have to dodge less enemies in the future.

this game is so fucking fun, but the overworld theme is a ear grating shitfest and I'd say the composer deserves to go to hell for it but we already know he is so shrug
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2018, 07:25:03 AM »
with super hard enemies enabled I'd say the difficulty is about on par with past DQ games
pcp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2018, 01:09:57 PM »
Super hard enemies + the EXP restriction for weaker enemies = a little bit of grinding to get over thr new enemy hump and having to maximize your gear potential at the time. Def feels like classic DQ when those two things are in place.