Author Topic: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.  (Read 20173 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
So yeah, I like watches, they're probably the only male jewelry i find appealing. Things are going fine enough that I may consider saving a bit of money to indulge in buying one in a few months, something in a very moderate price bracket though (lol).
My parents have been kind enough to gift me a Sinn Automatic Chronograph several years ago. Sinn is a Frankfurt maker with prices a notch below the racket that is Swiss watchmaking, and I like the "Finanz" line they have, though it's probably not what I'll aim for if possible this time round.

I like both clean & classic or "sporty" / engineer / pilot type watches, metal bracelets, having the date at a minimum is a must and if possible a chronograph. I'm not particular about case size (not ridiculously huge is my criteria I guess).

I'm currently looking into Seiko (has a nice quartz clean watch from them beforehand, also they have a store in Paris so it's easy to go see and try) and Citizen for either a classy quartz (solar powered and with GPS time adjustement) or an elegant automatic but I'm curious if anyone here has any opinions on the matter. I have a passing familiarity with some of the more obscure German makers who always have excellent clean designs but I should take a new look at that.

Please begin shitposting.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:11:28 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:49:27 AM »
Only a weirdo or someone who cares too much about a curated appearance wears a watch in 2017

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »
Don't care about them as status symbols or man toys, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship. I'd only wear cheap watches though, because poor people's paranoia.

Check out this community thread. OnkelC is German, so he likely has opinions on German brands as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266353

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
I haven't worn a watch since my teens which is like in the mid 90's, I  didn't like how they got stuck on sleeves and how your hand would sweat under them. Also phones came out and you had the time on you all the time (late 90's).

Lately I've entertained the idea of having a watch as a pointless accessory (because I really ran out of things I would like I guess and watches do look nice) , but I always come back to how pointless it is for anything but looks and how I would find it annoying having it on my hand.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
Watches are either cool or super dorky.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »
Yeah, like those calculator watches are super fucking cool.

nudemacusers

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »
I like my seiko sarb 33  :-[

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
I rock an Apple Watch, although I don't consider it super useful outside of #firstworldproblems seeing who is texting/calling/emailing without pulling your phone out
dur

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
I used to wear a watch all the time, but after getting a smart phone that I carry with me all the time I've stopped wearing watches entirely.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
Only a weirdo or someone who cares too much about a curated appearance wears a watch in 2017

I wear a watch  :iface

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »
watches are cool, been meaning to get another one

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
I used to wear a watch all the time, but after getting a smart phone that I carry with me all the time I've stopped wearing watches entirely.

For what it's worth, checking time on a watch is marginally easier and more natural for me than having to reach for the phone, especially while walking.

Joking aside they're the actual choice if you pretend your watch is an actual tool. Some LCD Casios have a ridiculous amount of features.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
pet peeve of mine? i don't like seeing watches worn on the right hand

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:21:31 PM »

I will not stand for this hatred and bigotry towards left-handers! :maf
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »

I wear a watch on my right hand.  :iface

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
Check Festina. They make quality stuff, and are overall rather affordable.

Ha. Typical case of boiling jealousy towards the Lefty master race :snob
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:37:22 PM by Raist »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
I've got a handsome Tag Heuer from my bro-in-law which has held up great. It was a bitch to replace the batteries, and the manufacturer cost was $150 each time until last year. I sent it in and they wanted $800 or so, about half the original purchase price. Now I've doomed the damned watch to oblivion by having its battery replaced by a random nearby kiosk for $10.

:heartbeat

nudemacusers

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
A watch is essential for traveling, festivals, theme parks or places where your phone could easily die over the course of a day.
Also in SCIFs where electronics are no nos   :american
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 05:00:34 AM »
Didn't think of Festina, I'll take a look. Though on first glance the designs they put on the front veers into slightly gaudy (not unlike Citizen).

Dream watch is an IWC Portuguese but I'll never could afford that in a million years.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 05:10:41 AM »

I wear a watch  :iface
So which one are you?  :drake

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
I'm the only Italian who hates to wear jewelry (ocd keeps making me worried I'd lose it) so I don't wear one, but my grandfather willed me a gold Tag Heuer worth a few grand.
^_^

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
I love my series 2 Apple watch. With the Sapphire Crystal face who's toughness is only second to diamond and it being waterproof makes it's almost indestructible. I consider it a piece of jewelry.
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »

Fun fact, watches will help you land a job. Makes you seem more professional.
IYKYK

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »
I've got 2 watches I plan to pass on to my sons  :heart

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

:'(

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »
idea of a smart watch irks me, even more distractions

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »

Fun fact, watches will help you land a job. Makes you seem more professional.
I'm a developer, the closer i resemble a bearded forest troll, the more likely I am to be accepted by one of my own.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
So I went to try the Seiko Astron Chronograph. The current Astron is solar powered and connect to satellites once a day to give perfectly accurate time and change to the time zone you're in. Having exact time is appealing (I try to be a punctual person in general) but I don't travel nearly enough (and certainly not far enough) to pretend it's a big boon.

Anyway the watch is veering on the large size and the Chronograph has a grievous flaw : Some (all ?) of the buttons are in plastic or some such.
:kobeyuck
Not pleasing to the eye, the touch and downright cheap (the base model is 1800€, the Chronograph is 2400€, it's the most expensive line bar the Grand Seiko manufacture). I'll probably go check if the base model (with only the date) has the same issue. I'll probably try the diving watches too for something a little more reasonable. Maybe ask to wear a Grand Seiko to live the dream too (6000+ € so... Yeah. I'm doing good with work, but not that good. Also at that price you can start considering some Swiss brands).

I'm a big fan of Seiko design, overall it's clean and the watches have an excellent finish. The Grand Seiko base automatic model is pretty much my ideal (classic and clean).

Anyway first order of business is probably to change the glass on my current watch anyway. I like to daydream but I'll probably have to save up a few more months at best before I can just waste money on jewelry :lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:38:41 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »
I checked and the Astron is 44,8mm diameter, so its indeed a tad large (my Sinn is 41mm or so and it's a good size for me give it take 1mm).

My Sinn is a 103 ST, if you're curious. Might take shitty pic if I fix it.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
Don't care about them as status symbols or man toys, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship. I'd only wear cheap watches though, because poor people's paranoia.

Check out this community thread. OnkelC is German, so he likely has opinions on German brands as well.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266353

Very late reply but thanks for the link though really you've read a watch thread on the Internet you kinda read them all (unless you have pointed questions to ask about a model) though it did prompt me to take another look at a couple of brands (Orient, Oris, Russian makers) I didn't check in a while whose designs are close to what I look for. I did learn however that Rolex from the 60-70's used a radioactive element for the coating enabling phosporoscence of the hands and dials for night legibility and it might possibly be harmful if you open the watch, which was a cool factoid.
ὕβρις

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
How about this then:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »
So I went and tried a couple of models at Seiko.

The simpler Astron (3 hands plus date) doesn't have the issues with dial size or unpleasant buttons I found with the Chronograph. Tried the black with gold buttons one. A bit too shiny (with the solar panel dial, I guess it is to be expected) and still way too expensive for me. Plus it's a quartz and even if solar powered, I don't like having a battery and would rather get a purely mechanical watch at the expense of precision.

I thus had a look at one of the diving automatic watches ("Samurai" 51K1 here) and I think I found my match. Price is much more reasonable (sub 500) and I can indulge without feeling guilty. I fancy getting something robust because I'm not exactly the most careful guy and I often bump my Sinn into walls  :doge . The sport style is also much more in line with my terrible cave dwelling looks and the seller brought up with tact I hadn't the thinnest of wrists (or anything, really) so a blocky watch was a good fit for me. Accuracy is a tad loose (-35/+45 seconds a day) but it's expected at this price range for this automatic type.

They have a fancier model which is a redesign if the first Seiko diving watch (it's a well regarded line) but honestly it's hard to justify shelling twice the price for minute design details and Sapphire glass.

So after having the pilot and diving ones, next step will be to save for something more formal for my forties.
:brazilcry
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:24:13 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:34 AM »
So I've got a few watches on the cheaper side and wearing a watch has grown on me the past year

but i feel like i can't really get into them for a couple years and most of my 6 figure loans are paid off
dur

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
So Kara post in that other topic reminded me I had to take a pic of my Seiko Samurai I mentioned two posts ago.

It's sturdy (not a scratch despite not being careful) and while the movement is not the best it's still fairly accurate over several weeks most times.

Next buy, if ever possible, will be an Astron (three hands and date, the other models are too gaudy) or a Grand Seiko. Hopefully if work is good in the next few years.
ὕβρις

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 06:39:22 PM »
This is a vanity item I don't quite understand but as someone who values his appearance, I can sympathize. More power to the people who enjoy a good watch.
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »
I own an automatic Invicta. Theres something about a well crafted watch, its weight, and the way it looks on you that inspires confidence.

I want to get a nice one with a silver housing and band with a blue face. Either a Seiko or Citizens.

I'm a fan of larger faces. Fuck being understated. But not too big, lets not get crazy now.
:9

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »
So Kara post in that other topic reminded me I had to take a pic of my Seiko Samurai I mentioned two posts ago.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's sturdy (not a scratch despite not being careful) and while the movement is not the best it's still fairly accurate over several weeks most times.

Next buy, if ever possible, will be an Astron (three hands and date, the other models are too gaudy) or a Grand Seiko. Hopefully if work is good in the next few years.

Nice watch.

The movement might not be the best, but iirc its origins are not that humble, it's derived from a pricier model. The only other watch out there at that style and price that's worth considering instead is the Orient Mako / Ray and Orient develops movements at a glacial pace (their 46 movement is from 1970, albeit quite decent) so you're not really missing out, technically speaking.

I've been looking at Grand Seiko lately because it fulfills my need for a "luxury" watch that clients won't notice* but the brand #aesthetic doesn't do much for me and their complications tend to be stuff like chronograph or GMT, neither of which make my heart flutter.

*Since people who don't know me very well entrust me with their money I try to avoid very obvious displays of conspicuous consumption which makes things like watches an awkward proposition. Perhaps Tudor has another target demographic besides "Midwestern Lutherans who can afford a Rolex but think they're too ostentatious" . . .
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:12:17 PM by Kara »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
This is a vanity item I don't quite understand but as someone who values his appearance, I can sympathize. More power to the people who enjoy a good watch.

I hear a lot of men rationalizing their purchase by saying that a nice watch is something that will outlive them and can be passed along to their sons, grandsons, et cetera. Does that really apply to a cynical brand watch with an ETA 28XX? Probably not, but my great grandfather bought a Rolex when he #MadeIt in America and it got passed down to my grandfather and then to my father (and will probably end up with one of my cousins or something when he kicks the bucket) and that's pretty cool in a tangible history sort of way.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:13 AM »
What sort of complications do you like ? I love moon phases and all but they're insanely expensive, not super useful and moreover it's hard to find a model both having those and staying sober in style...

The Sinn Finanz Line is in the same price bracket as a Grand Seiko (or cheaper) but it's also chronographs or displaying a couple of time zones. And it's all ETA 28 or unoriginal movements.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2018, 06:55:31 AM »
Oh those Orient lunar watches are pretty nice for the price. It's a bit of a pain to find a retailer here but should be doable. Maybe next year for maybe something less sporty.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 04:05:24 AM »
The FAK00001Y0 is a watch I'd wear if I was willing to be a hypocrite and buy leather after I stopped eating meat. The sun and moon feature is something I find useful since there are days I spend so long in a room without windows that I forget what time of day it is.

Anyway, complications that I like, cost being no object: power reserve (I don't like wearing a watch every day and I don't like setting a watch), perpetual calendar (I don't like setting a watch), moonphase (I'm actually a werewolf), jumping hour (they can be easier to read).

As you point out some of these can make a watch really pricey, but power reserve and moonphase are quite doable with ETA / Sellita parts on the cheaper end of the (admittedly absurd) scale. I agree moonphase can get a little loud, but it doesn't have to be that way and on a relatively plain design it even saves the day. (I think watches might be the only field where I don't find the German players incredibly dull and uninteresting, probably because they don't have decades of brand inertia to coast on.)

Thanks for the Sinn recommendation. They're a little too instrument-y for my taste, but I've heard they're more high effort in construction than you might think if you just looked at the movement supplier.

For the American'ts out there, this is a regular kind of deal but still quite good nonetheless: https://www.orientwatchusa.com/skip-tie-save-fathers-day-sale/

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2018, 04:54:22 AM »
Oh I never cared for power reserve but I'm an every day wearer, I could see the use.
Perpetual calendar is cool.

Sinn, in my experience, are well made but as you mentioned movements I thought better to mention it upfront.

If you don't like setting watches there's radio / GPS watches but obviously it's quartz  :doge (though solar powered and AFAICT better battery management) and it tends to lean on sporty case design.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
I have no idea why but the only baller watches i've ever lusted for were grand seikos. something about them stroke my closeted weeb nub and also my desire to not own a widely-known 'status symbol'. i don't want randos commenting on my veblen goods.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 06:12:29 AM »
Yeah I'm the same. It's very, very snob, so much so because it's understated. Still it's probably among the best value you'll get at that price.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:55 AM »
also have no particular interest in diving watches; seem like overkil for everyday use and mostly for guys who are in total denial that the most excitement their 'functional' accessory will see is the vip room of a strip club.  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

arrow

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 06:31:06 AM »
I also been looking at watches recently (my Seiko Orange Monster automatic movement is starting to randomly stick, not winding anymore, fantastic watch otherwise, must get it fixed).

I like the Astron, the Omega Seamaster,  and some of the Tag Heuers.

I'll probably end up with an Astron if I find one I like, I really like my Seiko.

I also have a Tag Heuer Connected (the original one), very useful for work as I'm horrifically forgetful of meetings and appointments, and end up walking the floor a lot, so a vibrating wrist really keeps me punctual. My Orange Monster has served me extremely well tho, love it, and I believe its becoming a bit of a collectors item now as well.

arrow

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 06:33:51 AM »
also have no particular interest in diving watches; seem like overkil for everyday use and mostly for guys who are in total denial that the most excitement their 'functional' accessory will see is the vip room of a strip club.  :doge

Well, my diving watch has never gone scuba diving, but it has survived a LOT of knocks and bumps (well, until recently anyway). For instance, it was fine after my last bike fall (my elbow broke, but not the watch). For me its more about the ability to endure day to day crap than actual diving.

nudemacusers

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »
fair
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

arrow

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »
I own an automatic Invicta. Theres something about a well crafted watch, its weight, and the way it looks on you that inspires confidence.

I want to get a nice one with a silver housing and band with a blue face. Either a Seiko or Citizens.

I'm a fan of larger faces. Fuck being understated. But not too big, lets not get crazy now.

Which Invicta is that? Looks badass....

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »

Well, my diving watch has never gone scuba diving, but it has survived a LOT of knocks and bumps (well, until recently anyway). For instance, it was fine after my last bike fall (my elbow broke, but not the watch). For me its more about the ability to endure day to day crap than actual diving.

I'll echo the sentiment. The durability is a huge plus. Flat glass buried under a millimeter of casing helps a lot. I guess it's cool I can wear it at the beach whenever I go swim annually. But it's definitely become a statement of style. "Sport" is the standard nowadays, isn't it ? Unless you have to dress up for work or you have a membership in a yacht club and a watch for every occasion.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »

I know you conceded your point but: If you really want to think it out wristwatches only became acceptable to wear in polite society after colonial and imperialist wars (World War I, in particular) demonstrated their functional superiority over the pocket watch. That superiority was overkill for desk jockeys then as much as it is today, and there's been a general retreat from the wristwatch as a functional item with the advent of the mobile phone (and smart phone in particular) because of that. To some extent wearing a wristwatch is, and always has been, fronting.

Diving is computerized now from my understanding; so, much like the automatic watch itself after the advent of quartz, diver's watches are an exercise in l'art pour l'art. #meta

I do find them to be too traditionally masculine to wear myself, but I'm an effete werewolf who can't muster up the nerve to just wear a Cartier.
[close]

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 06:13:57 PM »

Which Invicta is that? Looks badass....

Its a 22580

https://www.invictawatch.com/watches/detail/22580-

It came with a leather band but i switched out for a metal one. The back is also open

:9

arrow

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 04:31:47 AM »
Hmm, nice :)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 05:38:58 AM »
I do find them to be too traditionally masculine to wear myself, but I'm an effete werewolf who can't muster up the nerve to just wear a Cartier.
[close]
i can't muster up the disposable income  :(

Kara

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2018, 12:39:41 AM »
Well, your job takes you to places that probably shouldn't exist like Dubai and my job takes me to places that probably shouldn't exist like Sacramento.

-------------------------

BTW, this channel is :noah

:whew

Kara

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
:whew

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »
fuck me, so a rolex day date ii with platinum arabic numbers and date is AED 241,000 secondhand (just over $65.6k)  :o

arrow

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
See, I really really just don't get the whole Rolex thing. They're overpriced, and just so... boring looking? Plus, everyone either has one or wants one. Seems like the Jack Daniels of watches to me.