Author Topic: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.  (Read 20174 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
This Seiko 5 is 90€ with the summer promotion. :notlikethis
I'm very tempted, especially since it's only 37mm.

https://www.seikoboutique.fr/seiko-5/518-montre-homme-acier-seiko5-snxs73k1.html

Tonight I saw this one (Chaumet Dandy, or so it would seem) from up close (but with gold colored parts, including the links on the strap). I like the asymmetry and the retro case though that's not something I'd wear. Actually, despite the name, it works well as an unisex watch (as I can tell from experience). The mechanical part is more run of the mill.

Otherwise the Seiko SPB053J1 is dreamy. I love the dark blue tone and that the bezel marking are less prominent due to tone. Turning the bezel has a really satisfying sound. The glossy texture on dial/bezel look very high end It's one of those things that sounds to be audiophile-style bullshit but in truth it's pretty distinct (having another Seiko diver to compare to). As I expected, the rubber strap is super comfy, probably the one material most tolerable in heat. The strap lock and tail-retainer (probably not the correct english terms) look massive and solid and they even have a stamp on the strap's end to give it a more sophisticated look. I know good rubber is actually not that cheap but you know... It's not very "jewelry". It's not a problem for me in my professional setting but the rubber strap is definitely too "actual sport" for a dress watch.

(Obligatory drops of water on the glass.)

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
Browsing the Citizen site I also found this I really like (as far as I can tell on photos) :

https://www.citizenwatch.eu/fr/produit/ar1135-10e/

All black, thin (no number on the Citizen site but creationwatches says 5mm), 39mm. I'd need to see the dial texture for real. Only major downside is the fairly bland "Eco drive" text (that font is really... unremarkable. And I find the text to be unbalanced, probably because of the whole 3 letters 5 Letters thing. And it's kind of a bad name, to be honest). My biggest pet peeves with the Seiko is the Prospex logo (it's OK... But unnecessary and detract from the cleanliness) but at least it's small. Maybe just having an "ED" marking in a decent font would work better.

The classic pseudo cursive "Automatic / water resistant" Orient have on the Bambino II is really all you need IMHO. Then again, as you know from my ramblings, I'm a bit of a Savonarole as far as dial designs go...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:19:07 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2019, 04:20:15 PM »
The Seiko 5 went out of stock.
Looked at Casio and they have some very cheap, plain quartz watches with Milanese bracelet (in the Vintage collection).
ὕβρις

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
I visually like their Oceanus line a lot, but I'm not interested in satellite watches. You should check them out, Japanese domestic market only though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2019, 04:35:44 PM »
I visually like their Oceanus line a lot, but I'm not interested in satellite watches. You should check them out, Japanese domestic market only though.

Oh that's what JDM stands for. I got the idea but didn't guess the exact acronym. Yeah I started looking into this rabbit hole...
I was on Chrono24 and found a Japanese shop that had this radio controlled / solar Orient with a purple dial :
https://www.chrono24.fr/orient/se01-c0-bss--id11598235.htm
Apparently the radio control doesn't work outside of the range of the Japanese stations but the only review I found mentions that the watch is still +/- 15sec a month even just on the internal mechanism.

It's part of the NEO70 series which is vintage inspired in appearance but only the Chronograph is sold in Europe (saw it on OrientUrhen).

And yeah those Oceanus have good faces.
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2019, 07:11:32 PM »
I went and picked up a Garmin smart watch for $150. It's okay, but I need to help find a band that fits my wrist.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2019, 06:14:49 AM »
I like this. :notlikethis

https://casio.jp/wat/watch_detail/OCW-T150-2A/

The base model is nice too.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/casio/products/ocw-s100-1ajf

:lawd

Why do we only get the massive clunky satellite watches over here ?

Any reliable places where you can buy JDM ?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:23:32 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
Saw some Alpina in the flesh. Somehow the dials seems too big or present.

Tried a Mido diver with a pseudo Milanese mesh strap (pseudo because it has a secure diver lock), probably the Ocean Star Tribute
(M026.830.11.041.00). It looks nice, well proportioned (40,5mm), the rectangular hands in particular are good and the color palette (blue, white, orange) is pleasing but maybe a bit too plain.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:28:23 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2019, 05:47:50 AM »
I've put some inquiries for two Casio Oceanus (T150 and S100B) to get an idea from prices from a Japanese reseller. I've scoured a bit to find the reputable names and basically it's always the 3 or 4 same Japan shop owners who come up as entirely trustworthy. You probably won't cut up a deal as good as on Rakuten or eBay as far as prices go but it does eliminate any worries treating with shady dealers.

I'm torn on the all black all titanium model. It's Very Cool™ but I feel the silver taint / white dial / clear markings is a better all-purpose fit and less in your face (despite the more ornate dial). Also feel like more complementary with what I already have (black and dark dials). Slighty less expensive too and I'm a sucker for Roman numerals.

Opinions on all black metal watches perhaps, fashion wise ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:18:05 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
any thoughts on frederique constantine? i'm tempted by their slim moonphase and it's considerably cheaper than jlc

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
any thoughts on frederique constantine? i'm tempted by their slim moonphase and it's considerably cheaper than jlc
(Image removed from quote.)

I saw some alongside the Mido but haven't tried any. Overall they have a lot of nice clean classic designs for dress... maybe a little bit too classic even. They're Swiss, have at least one in-house movement though only on some of their lines if I understand correctly, are now owned by Citizen (I don't know if they get Miyota quartz movements) and most everyone seem to think the price to value is good and horological chops decent

They use gold plating on some watches and it's apparently a bit of a deal breaker to some.

People think a lot of good of their Worldtimer Manufacture & Moonphase Manufacture (w/ in house movement) entry model at 2000-3000$/€ and I'm sure it extends to the one you have a picture of (Slimline) which is also in-house though you can search for the particular reference on WatchUSeek if needed.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2019, 09:49:21 AM »
All the Moonphases seem to be 42mm though which is on the bigger / too big size for some people.

Edit : Worn & Wound apparently mentions a "classic" variation at 40,5mm.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:57:03 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »
All the Moonphases seem to be 42mm though which is on the bigger / too big size for some people.

Edit : Worn & Wound apparently mentions a "classic" variation at 40,5mm.
thanks for your feedback! yeah the one i saw was 40.5mm, and even that is pushing it on my skinny wrists

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »
So I'm looking for a black Milanese Mesh strap, but here's the catch : it has to be 19mm wide.  :maf

eBay has some from Germany but I was curious if someone knew a good seller. I asked to a strap workshop here but they redirected me to WatchGecko (don't have that size in black).
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2019, 04:50:32 AM »
This is the watch that would be paired to the 19mm Milanese strap :

It's sub 5mm thin and honestly while I'm glad to have that in the collection I can't see myself seeking such slim watches in the future, need more beef on my wrist. I think a mesh stripe would make it more distinctly jewelry / fashion item and compliment the dial texture.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:45:17 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2019, 06:17:47 AM »
i am growing to really like the ap royal oak, and not just because i can't afford a nautilus

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »
The Submariner Guy: This is a Rolex. I just got my first profit sharing bonus and all my friends told me to buy it. It’s shiny. It’s a Rolex.

The Other Submariner Guy: This is my ceramic supercase maxi-dial Rolex reference 114060 Submariner, which has no date, but should not be called the “No-Date”. It is made of Oystersteel, which is better than every other steel, and uses a superior Oysterlock clasp with a best-in-class Glidelock extension feature. Over the next 30 minutes I will explain to you why Rolex is the paragon of vertical integration and in-house manufacturing.

The Speedy Tuesday Guy: My Speedmaster went to the Moon! It’s the most iconic watch of all time, and it went to the Moon. Everyone should have one in their collection, because it went to the Moon. Did I mention this watch went to the Moon?

The Calatrava Guy: I am a man of impeccable taste and class. I am always better-dressed than you. My wife used to be extremely attractive but now she has wrinkles and yells at me all the time.

The Panerai Guy: I used to be cool. How come I’m not cool anymore? Can someone please tell me I’m cool?

The Beaten-Up Datejust Guy: My wife bought me this gift for our 10th anniversary. I think it’s a Rolex? Yeah, it says Rolex on the dial. I wear it in the shower, I think that’s okay, right? Service? Am I supposed to get this thing serviced?

The Vintage Heuer Guy: I spend all my time on Watchuseek and TimeZone, and have written several thoroughly-researched articles on the history of racing chronographs. Here’s my extensive collection of vintage watches from brands that no longer exist, and by the way, let me tell you the entire lineage of the Valjoux 72 and every watch in which it was used.

The Vintage Daytona Guy: My watch is extremely rare and costs more than my Ferrari, and you’ll have to trust me on that because it looks totally trashed and is virtually indistinguishable from the eight other variants of the exact same model I have in my climate-controlled high-security vault at home. Also, would you like to go to a John Mayer concert with me?

The Nautilus Guy: Hold on while I Instagram my watch next to this random hot chick in front of a rooftop pool in Taipei.

The Grand Seiko Guy: I appreciate fine finishing, technological innovation, and modern design above status and recognition. My watch is a marvel of accuracy, craftsmanship, and advanced engineering, and I don’t care if anyone else knows about it. Also, please love me.

The Hublot Guy: I hate myself.

The Richard Mille Guy: I hate myself but I have more money than God, so everyone else hates me too.

The Journe Guy: I’m the ultimate watch collector. I have connections in the industry and had lunch with FP last week. I know more than you, and you know it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
Hublot Guy sounds accurate.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2019, 08:15:57 AM »
I tried the latest Seiko Astron (new caliber 5x) and for my personal taste goes it's a huge improvement as far as external design is concerned. The 8x models were big, had some ugly buttons (phased out in the next iterations though), I didn't the case shape, etc...

I payed more attention to the Titanium this time round and the lightness is a bit weird and tinny at first but wearing it is probably a breeze though. The dial has some nice depth and the arrows are good (not great). The main issue I have with it besides price (LOL) is how busy it is with all the sundials. Sadly the better looking model IMHO is the black/red limited edition they did with some japanese baseball player playing with the Angels and it's a JDM watch AFAIK.

The 8x series had one iteration with just 3 hands and a single gauge (probably power reserve doubling as signal reception indicator) but I imagine the new caliber will get more variants going forward.

https://www.seikowatches.com/fr-fr/products/astron/5x-series
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:20:33 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »
Kara is back on a sabbatical (or perhaps it's more accurate he ended his Bore sabbatical ?) so not sure if anyone can respond, but I'll probably complete my Japanese quartet of Seiko, Orient (and Orient Star), Citizen, Casio soon... I'm sure there's some lesser known brands I'm unaware of but if I kept on that line in the future I'll probably look up to Grand Seiko, Credor and Royal Orient. Does anyone have opinions on the last two ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »
Finally got around to have my Sinn fixed and serviced. The maintenance is not a cheap affair and it might take some time... Maybe will do the same for an old Seiko quartz watch (Titanium Sapphire, as I forgot, good value for its price really) that I had laying around. Much cheaper obviously.

The Oceanus will have to wait one or two months too, out of stock at the AD. I hesitated to upgrade to a more complex model (chronograph, second time zone display...) but he's waiting on a shipment for all models anyway so I stuck with the clear / blue combo. Some of the high ends Oceanus (Mantas) are pretty slick but at that price point you can buy an Astron domestically and it's out of my budget.

There's been a lapse in the mail communication at one poing. It happens sometimes, if forum feedback is to be believed, though he's otherwise perfectly reliable where it counts and affable.
ὕβρις

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »
went for a seiko turtle "great white"divers watch. i free dive, but i doubt i'll actually use it in the water.  :doge

not a big watch guy, have a retro seiko silver wave digital watch, but i just thought this looked great for a decent price. https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on-swimming-with-sharks-the-seiko-prospex-srpd21k-save-the-ocean/
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2019, 04:32:55 AM »
went for a seiko turtle "great white"divers watch. i free dive, but i doubt i'll actually use it in the water.  :doge

not a big watch guy, have a retro seiko silver wave digital watch, but i just thought this looked great for a decent price. https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on-swimming-with-sharks-the-seiko-prospex-srpd21k-save-the-ocean/

Seiko Turtle shape doesn't work that well on me, sadly but you can't really go wrong with their divers, they're all pretty good. Did you get the model you linked, with the blue waves dial ? I thought it looked nice myself but maybe a little bit too busy / fancy.

Received my Oceanus and I'm very pleased. Had to pay tax on it, but you can't win this game every time. Retrieving the package was a bit of a mundane urban adventure because the French courier is so bad. Looks even nicer in person than on photos and I get why pictures of the internet have the blue accent vary so wildly : It's all very reflective (hands, markings) which is a nice contrast to the Titanium matte finish so depending on light conditions the blue will appear blue, turquoise or greyish. This model have an adjustable strap mechanism too. I found an English manual on the net but I needn't worry as one is included despite the watch being Japan Domestic only in theory. It's a radio watch so controls differ quite a bit from the usual, it's less intuitive but basically beyond doing a manual sync every couple of weeks or months (or letting it auto sync at night) you shouldn't need to do anything for accurate timekeeping once you selected your timezone.

Photos :
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:09:47 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2019, 06:08:27 AM »
I really like the Oceanus a lot. It's a very "small" 40/41mm to wear on top of the Titanium making it a breeze despite being thick enough to not feel cheap. If I had the means and had to choose (putting aside the issue of no / shorter warranty and accessible service) I'd probably go with the higher-end in that line over the Seiko Astron.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:56:22 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »
Finally got around to fixing the Sinn and it is back from the workshop. The bezel is still misaligned but I guess I accept that as a quirk. Probably because of the Casio but this feels quite heavy.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:31:53 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »
I bought my first watch in 25 years

Casio F91W

Pretty fucking tight watch for under a tenner

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
I bought my first watch in 25 years

Casio F91W

Pretty fucking tight watch for under a tenner

One of the true modern classics. :preach
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »
The Seiko shop in Paris has a couple of Credor in store, what do you know ? But at 9500€ a piece that's not for me. Looked nice but didn't try.

There's also new Astrons 5x with a different case form and most importantly in steel (and closer to the original Astrons) and not titanium. It's a pleasant fit but if I had to choose I'd probably go titanium. But the steel ones are cheaper. Dial and complications are identical.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
It's a manga tie-in but this looks pretty good :

https://oceanus.casio.jp/collection/3way/OCW-G2000SB.html

:lawd

But it's a 2000-2500 € or $ budget...
ὕβρις

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
been wearing this for a couple months now and I love it. tried to pick up the beauty of the dial in pics but can't at all. it is really bright in person and the layering of the waves really pops, but looks p faded in the pics.

been casting an eye to other divers I'd like to try next. kinda want an all black watch, but couldn't afford an authentic ceramic one which would be my ideal (love the iwc big pilot top gun for instance), but am digging the look of the longines legend diver.

still haven't been diving with this, but I've been swimming in the ocean a bunch with it. it's (relatively) inexpensive price is really nice as I'm not overly concerned about coddling it.

◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2019, 03:34:36 AM »
kinda want an all black watch, but couldn't afford an authentic ceramic one which would be my ideal (love the iwc big pilot top gun for instance), but am digging the look of the longines legend diver.

There's some options at affordable ranges :

Orient had a Ray Raven diver. It was for the II series, haven't kept up if they did so for the current III mark. I'm pretty sure the Ray Raven was retailed in the US. 250$ IIRC.

Seiko has one current reference like this : SRPD29K1. I may try one in store if there in the coming weeks, I'll let the thread know. Price is 350-400€ I think.
Seiko have more in their Prospex / Sport lines but I'm not a fan of the looks.

Casio has one in the Oceanus line. Radio / Solar watch though, not Automatic. Not a diver too and only through Japanese retailers : OCW-S100B-1AJF. 500-600$

I'm sure Citizen has something like that for 500 or less in their diving range.

I've been looking a bit too, might go for something like that next or a gaudy gold looking watch (saw a shop carrying Orient Tristar models close to one of my jobs).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:39:06 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2019, 03:44:43 AM »
Yeah Citizen has lots of metal bracelet - all black models on their US website, not just divers.

Victorinox has some too. Not sure of the price range, probably a notch higher than the Japanese ones.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:52:22 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:16 AM »
Might be able to get something to close 2019... Current eye catchers :

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/casio/products/casio-oceanus-ocw-t3000c-2ajf-limited-edition-with-bluetooth

The absolute best though is those Seiko Urushi dials :
https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/urushi-dial

:whew
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2019, 05:31:39 AM »
Tried a few Seiko in person.

Seiko Prospex SRPD25K1 which classify as a "Monster" diver. It's not that big tho, more chunky on the height, deep dial but tight. I like the dark blue dial / cream hands combo but it's too redundant with what I already have. Plus the number font on the bezel are meh and in the neverending magnifying lens for day date debate I lean heavily on "nope".

I tried one of the Presage Urushi dial too. The SARW013 : sadly the shop doesn't have anymore of the three hands in stock (limited edition). It looks really good and all, I like the strap lock too, but it's a bit over my budget. Besides, while I find it very elegant, I already have plain dress watches.

Which is why I also tried the Seiko Premier SRX017P1. It looks a bit huge, intimidating on photos (day, date, power reserve, 24h dial, moon phase complications... A lot to display) but the sensation on wrist is not like that at all (though the white dial version makes it looks a lot bigger... I prefer the blue - pink gold hands though you see less of the good amount of work they did on texturing it). By my standards it's borderline in-your-face and bold but that's the thing : I think the design is good, adds something new to my watch choice and that I can pull it off. It's not an automatic (it's an hybrid rotor weight powering a quartz battery) but you probably couldn't find one with those many features at that price point. Plus having a month energy reserve is a bit of a benefit because setting the time on your automatic watches can get a bit tedious sometimes past a certain point.

I'll keep looking around JDM watches meanwhile.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:00:41 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2019, 01:28:20 AM »
was talking to someone via work who loves richard mille and pronounced jlc like the drink  >:(

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2019, 04:30:05 AM »
That's the Seiko Premier I have eyes on at the moment :

https://www.seikowatches.com/fr-fr/products/seikopremier/srx017p1

Everything else I really could fancy currently (some high end Oceanus or Astron) is over budget except maybe the all black Oceanus. I could nab an Urushi at that price point but only if customs don't also the VAT on it which I wouldn't bet on.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2019, 02:23:06 AM »

Not the best light but I like the watch very much though.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2019, 07:51:20 AM »

New moon, new photo.
ὕβρις

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2020, 02:41:49 AM »
the richard mille blue saphire skull, a watch that costs $2.5m, looks like a something that comes free with a happy meal

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2020, 02:52:13 AM »
It looks like it even has a rubber strap. :lol

Good timing, I was going to bump for this news:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/bulgari-octo-finissimo-100m-stainless-steel/

:whew yes pls

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2020, 03:07:37 AM »
 :bow genta  :bow2

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
Another beauty shot of my Invicta

:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2020, 11:10:37 AM »
Casio has a pretty rad Oceanus that also does compass :

https://oceanus.casio.jp/collection/cachalot/

Almost 1000€ though :fbm
45mm too, if I read the info correctly.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2020, 07:44:33 AM »
I think I'm going to ask around a couple of Japanese reseller about the availability of those Cachalots, though it will probably be a couple of months at least before indulging. The official site only display the 1AJF model but there's apparently (an older ?) one with a white dial and blue & red sub-tones. It's likely less than 1000€ without taxes but I'd be surprised you could escape the VAT there. Plus having to have it transit through Chronopost (an infamously shit service) is almost a deterrent in itself.

I'm very pleased with the three hands Oceanus I have, it's my go-to alongside the Premier and honestly I wouldn't mind having a model with all the bells and whistles (Cachalot does Radio World Time, Compass, Alarm, Stop Watch in a full Titanium watch). Solar-powered with a power reserve going several months makes it very hassle free. I honestly wouldn't have thought much of it but when you have enough watches that you cycle it's actually nice not to have to wind and adjust them every time.

It's not a 1-to1 comparison because it's Radio and not GPS like the Seiko model but the Oceanus are IMO a much better deal, euros for euros, in that brackets even if you're maybe on your own warranty-wise.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
I'm being subjected to an obnoxious ad for Vincero where a douche is telling us we're sheeps and that watches will help you meet your wife. It's tongue-in-cheek which actually makes it a lot worst.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2020, 06:23:55 PM »
This might come up as a surprise, but it's not exactly the best time to jizz some non-inconsequential level of cash on a vanity item from Japan, that on top of that would be in some warehouse where I can't go retrieve it because of a lockdown.

On the other hand, no restaurants and no bars while work is still flowing in (for now) means I might actually do better financially this month when all is said and done... Either way, I'm ready to treat myself when this shit finally stops.

I've said it... Three times ? ...but preased be Kara's name :preach for pointing me to the Casio Oceanus line. I'm keeping an eye on the Cachalot & the black Ion plated three hand S100 model for something a bit more reasonable.

I've also seen other models :

https://products.oceanus.casio.jp/_detail/OCW-T2600L-1A/
I like the leather strap but the Cachalot wide array of features (half of them I won't use) over this for a similar price point is a bit of a deal breaker.

https://products.oceanus.casio.jp/_detail/OCW-S5000B-1A/
A much fatter all black option, also manufactured on their premium production line in Japan. Also 200k yens so  :doge
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:48 AM »
Not even realising that we had to adjust for DST because your watch did it automatically.
:rejoice
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
https://wornandwound.com/citizens-newest-nighthawk-continues-their-tradition-of-robust-aviation-inspired-timekeepers/

That's not bad. The current Nighthawk are too busy and massive for my taste. Price seems OK too.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2020, 07:44:13 AM »
Rolex, Patek and a few others are pushing back their releases.
What a shame.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2020, 05:26:38 AM »
Sinn has two watches with Mother of Pearl dials (black and white)

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/556_I_Mother-of-pearl_S.htm

38.5mm and not too expensive.
Sellita movement and no complications tho.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2020, 05:39:43 AM »
Also everytime I google images of a watch to have a better idea in situ I always get the impression everyone has shrimp wrist or something. Optics maybe.

:yeshrug
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »
It seems that this thread has run its course.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=722353

Starts with a semi-famous Youtuber and big active player in the Australian secondhand market being accused of having scammed a buyer and shipped a fake. Only read the bookends but it seem that along the way it became evident he scammed a lot of people. I expect some good drama in between.

- 13th Jan, he sent me a photo showing a house on fire and claimed it to be his parents house and the reason for not reply my message is he is helping them out. He said he will send the rest of the fund first thing in the morning (that did not happen)
- 13th Jan, he said he will sent me a rolex wallet for the troubles (never received)
- 15th Jan, he will send me the fund tomorrow. (didn’t happen again)

:lol

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=10335635&postcount=145
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:02:14 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »
Asked for a trusted second opinion on the aesthetics of the Sinn 556 I Mother-of-pearl S. She liked the blue dial they have but otherwise we both agreed a glossy black leather strap would pair better with the Mother of Pearl. Sinn has a wide variety on offer, cowhide or calfskin would do I think.

We're still not there but I'm keeping that one on the back of my mind.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2020, 09:08:43 AM »
I liked the Sinn a lot but it's maybe a bit rich for my taste. So I continued browsing for something nice at a lower price point...

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/orient-orientstar-classic-rk-af0002s-made-in-japan

I like this a lot. It's less unique than the Sinn but I could do with an elegant and understated dress watch. It's 13mm thick dome included but most of my watches are in that range and thin doesn't do it for me.

There's also a gold hands / markers model and one with blue hands / metal bracelet but I think the simplicity of all silver is better.

Looking at the Orient catalog, I also like their "Howard" line. Blue dial especially. I don't think I have anything with Arabic numerals on the dial.

I also looked at some second hand watches and you can get some 1970-era Omegas or Universal Genève for 1000 euros. I'm not one yet for the vintage rabbit hole and as you would expect with watches of that era they're really small (34 and 35mm). Maybe I'll end up getting there eventually.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2020, 02:10:23 AM »
Saw this design from Citizen, an homage to a seventies watch, the Tsuno ("horns" in Japanese), where the crowns and buttons are top and bottom of the case instead of on the side.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-tsuno-chronograph-racer-wrist-watch/

I like the novelty but it's large, tall, has an alarm (I don't care much for that)... Maybe a tad expensive for a cool gimmick.

There's a relatively affordable watch Citizen does that I like, especially since the dial is pretty sober for what the brand typically do, but I need to look into what you can get from Japan (there's some markup for buying in France...) without the rubber strap I find uggo with "Promaster" stamped very large on it.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/cc-3060-10e

Orient Star has a "field watch" Outdoor that looks pretty decent. As usual with Orient Star, it's sober and it has a power reverse :
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »
Orient Star Classic, all silver, is on the way.  :hyper
Had differing opinions on gold hands (more luminous) but I like the sobriety of white and silver.

Got a soft spot for the Seiko SARX045 too.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2020, 10:23:55 AM »
Are those the new sarb equivalents? Looks nice.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽