Author Topic: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.  (Read 20182 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
Are those the new sarb equivalents? Looks nice.

Not sure. There's some more references in that series but that one has a more blocky case and links, unlike the others...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2020, 06:38:08 AM »
Like this one which looks good (blue hands is always a safe choice...) and is also a SARX but not the same design (no crown protection).

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sarx033
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2020, 12:35:06 AM »
Seiko also has a popular alpinist style model currently, looks nice and has the always tasteful dark green or cream dial :

Biggest issue for me (besides price  :doge ) is the Prospex logo on the dial. I realized I already talked about that in the past but it's always a bother... The logo is serviceable but bland, always break the purity of dials, I feel.

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2020, 03:46:40 AM »
I was gifted a classy travel box for a watch.  :doggy

Also

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

:lawd
ὕβρις

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
Congrats. :D The old adage is to wear your new watch in good health, but that feels a bit morbid given all this. *gestures at the world burning*

RE: the Sinn 556, I've always heard good things, but that was when they had ETA movements. There's some import control here in the U.S. on mother of pearl so I don't know anyone who had that particular model. In my experience they make overbuilt watches that prioritize legibility that feel like they cost too much, which to be blunt describes a lot of watches made in the BRD. I find German military "tacticool" a huge turn off, personally.

The company has some devotees because it was one of the few places you could get a Lemania chronograph movement at the end of its manufacturing life (well, outside a Patek Philippe :girlaff).

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »
Speaking of overbuilt, legible watches that feel like they cost too much, I think this is the first Ball I've ever fancied.

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/eiiimarvelight/Marvelight_Chronometer-NM2026C-S28C-BK

Limited edition, but I hope it takes off. The multicolored tritium is a great way to add playfulness to a house style that really struggles to stand out. I'm sure pictures don't do it justice.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cyclops window on your date. :donot

Fix your damn seconds hand Ball. :donot
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
I don't mind the tacticool as much as you do (I like the U1, the Mission Timer or the Space model they have... Not sure I'd wear them well tho) but I agree with you they're a bit rich. Sinn allows for more custom bracelet and glass options on their site and from my experience they throw in a tool, some maintenance liquid and a nicer box than your usual Japanese counterpart. Doesn't make up for the cost difference but does it ever.

The mother of pearl dial is unique but the 556 itself much less so. The blue dial is great and exactly the perfect shade but Seiko and Orient have good ones too, for cheaper. Same for legibility, which is why I'm keeping the Orient Star Outdoor on top of the wishlist.

I've been won over by the Power Reserve complication, I think. I cycle too many watches to keep them winded at all times but it's still useful.

Edit : Magnifying glass for the date is the worst turn off ever.
ὕβρις

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »
I changed the battery on my eone finally. Putting it back on my wrist makes me feel so much swagger.

Still need to fix my botta.  :fbm

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2020, 04:41:24 AM »
Since I'm not a rich man, I'm starting looking more into Sea-Gull (Chinese) that we already mentioned upthread : They have an interesting "Starry sky" design (though the starry sky disk is apparently just a month indicator) and a couple of other I like, the Telemeter Chronomètre or the Wu Yi Gold dial.
It's hard to find reviews in English for those sadly and I need to double check on trusted vendors because AliExpress is a bit of a crapshoot.

This guy compiled a list of Korean brands :
https://medium.com/@radrelsc2/korean-watch-brands-your-guide-to-korean-made-watches-48022031fc4c

Gonna look into that.
Not a lot of automatics as far as I can see...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:51:38 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2020, 06:11:16 PM »
Models that caught my fancy during my last round of Internet window licking. Might involve repeats from earlier in the thread...

Citizen Diver, would look better with a NATO strap.
https://www.citizenwatch.eu/fr/produit/bn0205-10l/

Citizen GPS watch, keeping the dream of a (somewhat) affordable satellite watch. Maybe a bit big...
https://www.citizenwatch.eu/product/cc3067-11l/

Citizen Flieger lite.
https://www.citizenwatch.eu/product/ca7045-14e/

Orient Flieger type B.
https://montre-automatique.com/produit/orient-flight-ii-ra-ac0h02n-ra-ac0h02n10b/

Seagull 51, an homage to the first Chinese mechanical watch. 38mm is nice.
https://www.seagullwatchcompany.com/products/seagull-classic-watch-wuyi-gold-dial-automatic-mechanical-watch-fkwy
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
Man, if only I opened my heart to quartz it would widen the horizon of affordability so much. I already am fine with solar and hybrid quartz (anything not requiring a battery)... Maybe I need to surmount my watch snobbery.

CWC Royal Navy Diver, a bit expensive (this is one of the cheapest...).
https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/divers-watches/products/cwc-royal-navy-issue-divers-watch

This one is interesting too :
https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/general-service-watches/products/cwc-sonar?variant=33261608468566
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:20:52 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »
Fuck, I looked at Longines and I sort of love a lot of their lines. :dead
I'm a sucker for vintage inspired design so that's probably it.
Realistically I'll only could maybe afford the Conquest VHP 3 Hands (Sub 1k at MSRP).

The Conquest VHP is a high accuracy quartz (+/- 5 seconds of deviation a year) which definitely scratches that small precision kink (Is there really anything in my life where I need to get down to the second ? No. But I still love that I know the actual time).
There's a number of cool features associated : You can set the hours and minutes independently, anti shock and magnetic mechanisms, you can put the watch into energy saving mode but it will still keep time, end of life indicator for the battery, perpetual calendar... And it comes in two sizes, 41 and 43mm.
Good balance between sports/dress, modern but not garish, pleasing visuals (the red accents). Not in love with the 12/6 indexes but in black they fade away in the dial, I think it's the better color choice, black and red can't fail. Think it makes for a good everyday watch, probably pairs well with most styles, very functional, slick and a watch with a decent amount of polish and weight to it.
Custom ETA movement exclusive to Longines too.
Probably one of the cheapest high accuracy watches you can get now, excluding radio and satellite watches (and I think the Longines looks classier than all of them) that achieves pinpoint accuracy via a different process, there's not a ton of other options at that price range. Citizen Chronomaster and Grand Seiko I love too (and closer to what THE WATCH is to me) but it's not the same prize range at all. The Chronomasters are 60% more expensive...

Minuses : The Smart Crown has a ghost push function (VHP GMT and Chronograph use it but has no function here, one of those irritating details...), so-so luminance and water resistance to 50m only (which seems fine for that sort of watch but hurt the polyvalence a bit).

But Longines has a lot of nice vintage inspired offerings I drool over :
Conquest Heritage 35mm (maybe too small for today's standard... There's a 38.5mm version but I don't like the half index. Also date at 12, I'm not sure about that) and the Flagship Heritage in a similar style. The Military Heritage with light dials, blue hands and vintage leather straps (also massive power reserve). All good.

Even the Spirit line, which is their new Automatic line, is pretty slick. Chronometer certified and 100m water resistance, classic dial with nice details.

All too expensive and I already have pilot style or vintage dress watches so they would probably double in my collection.

Will maybe go to try some of those models in person still.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:55:01 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2020, 09:18:27 AM »
The Chronomaster
https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/citizen-orient/products/the-citizen-high-precision-quartz-ab9000-61e-made-in-japan
Kind of the seminal watch design for me but I could see why you'd find it bland and boring. Same for the quartz Grand Seiko (and more expensive.)

https://www.grand-seiko.com/fr-fr/collections/sbgv207g

The Longines Spirit. Way better on a leather strap and in 40mm. The five stars are probably a love it or hate it inclusion to the dial.

That video really has the best looking images of some of the current Heritage models :

The Heritage Military looks glorious there goddamn.

But 2000€/$ is sort of a threshold where the choice in luxury watches opens up a bit.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:36:48 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
Otherwise took another look at some brands I always gravitate around :

Rado - I like some of their designs and the "new materials" gimmick but it's very hit and miss. I like the Golden Horse and Captain Cook series but sometimes there's way too much colors competing on the watch with their logo.

Mido - There's some interesting pieces but I don't know how I feel about those dials patterns they love on the Multifort.

Laco - one of the many German makers doing Flieger homages, probably the cheapest for quality. Good Bauhaus models and interesting Naval ones too. Sinn apparently moved a notch up in prices and has extended their catalog to more tacticooltoolwatches.

On the French side of things, Baltic and Yema have some cool models this year especially in the dive/sort aisle.

I'm thinking if streaming my collection (ideally from 10 to 5... Excluding any potential addition I might do in 2021, but only a couple at best) and probably only keep one diving watch, not sure I want to add anymore to that for the little swimming I do currently. Same with flieger watches, on reflection, I love them but already have one chronograph in that style. The Longines Spirit design wise is polished enough to be more polyvalent style wise... Will try to gift to family and close friends a handful of clocks even though they're not watch heads.

Lots of futile ponderings without budget.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »
Looking at Certina, Swiss brand (now Swatch owned) in looking for high accuracy quartz watch. Interesting brand in the 500 to 1000€ range. Not as classy as Longines as Oris but certainly a lot palatable to the wallet. The automatic range is also fairly affordable for Swiss branding.
The house has some history and at least one patented technology they fathered (double security).

Like this model, +/-10 sec a year (not as good as the Longines VHP but good enough), 100m water resistance and the color scheme is to my taste but not too bland. 500FrS so probably something similar in euros and dollars.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2020, 11:59:47 AM »
Not one for the G-Shock style but this one I could see wearing. Way big tho.

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
Damn those Casio GBD-H1000 are crazy too. All digital.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
Ramblings of a madman continued : The Casio Oceanus line has a new collab with Briefing (different model). I still love the colour scheme though in actuality I don't really need the complications. It's also probably a 1500€ watch all told so really beyond the budget I could hope (or at the very upper limit...). Comes with another strap and a pouch which is nice but...

https://oceanus.casio.jp/briefing/

They also have a bunch of "Indigo" limited editions :
https://oceanus.casio.jp/collection/aizome/
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #202 on: December 16, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »
So to keep track of my own wishlist at the moment...

High Accuracy Quartz :
Citizen Chronomaster
Longines Conquest VHP
Certina (DS2)

Radio / Satellite :
Casio Oceanus Briefing
Citizen Promaster Land CC3067-11L
Casio G-Shock ?
Casio Oceanus OCW-S100B-1AJF

Solar Quartz :
Citizen Promaster Land Tough

Automatic :
Longines Spirit 40mm
One of the Longines Heritage models ?
Oris Big Crown Date-Hand 40mm
Laco Flieger ?
Orient Star Outdoor
Orient Star Date Grey
Orient Flight II
Orient Sentinel FAC05002D0
Orient Bambino IV Grey/Copper

Edit :
Damn Citizen Attesa is also a good line.  :stahp
I keep saying the name but I didn't look into the line and damn... It's the best looking satellite watches currently. Especially in black Super Titanium. Apparently 43,5mm so actually a little less in your face than the Promaster or the Seiko Astrons

2500€  :dead

This model is less busy but has an interesting assymetry. Orange accents also are a nice touch :
https://citizen.jp/s/product/attesa/lineup/detail/index.html?seihin_no=CC3085-51E

Also nice radio controlled models. This one especially, which has angular links and the Citizen trident second counterweight :
https://citizen.jp/s/product/attesa/lineup/detail/index.html?seihin_no=CB3015-53E

Or this one, though I prefer the one with not all the yellow markings :

Jounetsu edition :

:mouf
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 04:00:09 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »
Fuck they also have a cool series to commemorate their Titanium technology. Releases in January.

https://citizen.jp/titaniumtechnology50th/product-cosmicblue/index.html

Fuck I like these too :
https://citizen.jp/s/product/promaster/lineup/detail/index.html?seihin_no=CB0177-31E

JDM HELL
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:08:15 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
So my head is spinning from all the wristwatch procastination I did last few weeks but realistically if I buy something I'll probably be limited to a Japanese watch under 1k. One thing I always really wanted is a black plated watch so I think that's where I'll end most probably...

I already listed a bunch but I also really like this variation of the Citizen x MontBell

https://citizen.jp/s/product/promaster/lineup/detail/index.html?seihin_no=CB0177-58E

Full black plated titanium band. I could live with the leather one (titanium strap is a 35% premium...) but you know.

I like that it's more of a field watch and there's a few plusses compared to the Attesa ligne, a decorated crown, an actual push button (not just a recessed one) for the radio control function, screw down crown and 200m water resistance so that's something you can wear in most circumstances. Red accents on black is always a soft spot for me and you have the Citizen trident counterweight of the seconds hands (I think it looks good and they should include this more often).
I'm a bit :larry on the branding. But it's a collab watch... I like it as is, but it's a bit massive and in your face (not exactly a subtle slogan).

I like the simpler Attesa but it's maybe too close to the Oceanus I own and Casio has another three handers that is maybe slightly cheaper. The red and stars dial are cool but I would dear it's a bit gaudy beyond the novelty.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2020, 09:53:45 AM »

Another form of Japanese Pron.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2020, 06:19:27 AM »
 :birb

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2020, 06:13:23 AM »
Seiko has a 50th anniversary for the Astron (Then the first commercially available quartz watch, now their GPS solar line).

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/astron/special/50th_35sq/

Only 50 pieces...
But the interesting part for me is that the watch is 41mm (?) and that there's a new caliber (3x22) that may signal smaller GPS watches. So far I believe they're all 43mm or higher.

So maybe 2021 will have interesting new models in the satellite watch department.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2020, 06:38:33 AM »
ὕβρις