Author Topic: Maybe the real NeoGAF was the friends we made along the way...  (Read 2177501 times)

nudemacusers

Plus he’s ugly
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

Also surprised nobody brought up his jew comment on Conan 👀
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Ho, GAF getting called out on that shit for once.

Hi there! Samit Sarkar here, the author of the article in question.

First off, thanks for reading! It sounds like you thought I made some good points, which is always nice to hear.

Secondly, a humble request: Would it be possible to not copy/paste literally my entire (lengthy!) article into a forum post, thereby giving GAF readers no reason to click through to Polygon? Not sure if there's any official GAF etiquette around this kind of thing, but as a GAF lurker myself, I feel like most people just post brief excerpts (especially for something like a 1600-word analysis piece).

Hope that's not an unreasonable ask. Cheers!

Too bad it's a dumb article from Polygon. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449798

FStop7

SSamit SSankar is clearly an alt-right Nazi trying to interfere with NeoGAF's noble quest for justice  :doge

Raist

Holy shit :dead

:nsfw

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Yeah, to be clear, I totally buy that David Cross would do this. I just think he contributes more to society than this girl with the misspelled name and will likely continue to do so in the future.

....what? How does that matter at all?

I was just explaining my pro-Cross slant in previous posts.
serge

Boredfrom

it was a shit joke at a party a decade ago. who cares?

No, we need to discuss this because HArvey Weinstein, Tobias and Steven Universe.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Pigeon giving a psychology master class in that David Cross thread :derp

I don't get how people get so heated up and convinced so deeply on one side (or the other) in this type of arguments when in most cases the truth of the matter will never be known to anyone outside the people involved and direct witnesses (if even that). David Cross racist / jerk / edgelord and / or drugged into oblivion ? I mean yeah, it's possible. It's not like I know the guy or anything. Pity cause he can be a funny comedian but what you gonna do ?
:yeshrug

Maybe not the most necessary drama but maybe it's a price to pay for people being able to speak up truth to power. I think I'm ok with that.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:22:29 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

I don't get how people get so heated up and convinced so deeply on one side (or the other) in this type of arguments when in most cases the truth of the matter will never be known to anyone outside the people involved and direct witnesses (if even that). David Cross racist / jerk / edgelord and / or drugged into oblivion. I mean yeah, it's possible. It's not like I know the guy or anything. Pity cause he can be a funny comedian but what you gonna do ?

Snide and complain about it in a internet forum.

Nabbis

• oops

I don't get how people get so heated up and convinced so deeply on one side (or the other) in this type of arguments when in most cases the truth of the matter will never be known to anyone outside the people involved and direct witnesses (if even that). David Cross racist / jerk / edgelord and / or drugged into oblivion. I mean yeah, it's possible. It's not like I know the guy or anything. Pity cause he can be a funny comedian but what you gonna do ?

If only it were limited to that. Guys act like they are writing Das Kapital.

Boredfrom

If only it were limited to that. Guys act like they are writing Das Kapital.

Well, many genuinely believe that Gawker death is the herald of the decline of modern journalism.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
i googled evilore film
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=160810501

Hmm, I'm half temped to bump this with the facebook pics just for the shits and giggles. Thread would probably be nuked in under a minute though.

Raist

Vertigo

i googled evilore film
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=160810501

Lol what a difference a few years makes. When you could actually joke around in a thread and not be dogpiled. If that thread was posted today it would be very 'problematic'. 
With virtue signalers trying to prove their credentials.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
I get the feeling Messofandego is torn up by the Charleyne Yi think because her movie Paper Heart is perfect for him.

It's basically a person with autism asking what feeling are and how you get them.
sigh

Raist

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
and of course mess is in there to make sure everyone knows he disapproves and not so subtly insinuates the OP should be banned:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=252431127#post252431127

*edit* haha holy shit this thread is a goldmine of stupidity.  :lol

Raist

A hundred years ago scientists were pretty convinced they had a line on objective reality. They were literally wrong about everything up to and including the fundamental makeup of the universe and the composition of the things they interact with every day.

I wonder if this assclown has ever heard of the names Einstein, Pasteur, Darwin, Newton. Just to name a handful.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449897

:gddr5 :hans1 :derp

At first I saw the thread and I was like

:snoop

but then I saw this

and I was like

:ohhh
©@©™

etiolate

Someone conflating scientific facts with scientific consensus. Yes, consensus can be wrong. A law, like gravity, exists as scientific fact through repeated demonstration and testing over time. It's not a product of consensus of opinion but of repeated verifiable results.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

agrajag

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449897

:gddr5 :hans1 :derp

At first I saw the thread and I was like

:snoop

but then I saw this

(Image removed from quote.)

and I was like

:ohhh

Ok where is the part where they tell me I have to get rid of my body thetans

Raist

Incredibly fitting Rick & Morty avatar.

At the end of the day, I'm not scared that philosophers and artists are going to send me to a gas chamber.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

[close]

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
Incredibly fitting Rick & Morty avatar.

At the end of the day, I'm not scared that philosophers and artists are going to send me to a gas chamber.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

[close]

damnit I was just going to make this point...

:lol

Nabbis

• oops
What these morons don't seem to understand is that even though science has social variables in it, any credible theory also requires a body of evidence unlike the shitcakes of gaf that operate solely on feels. Just cause it´s impossible to get true objective facts does not mean every opinion needs to be validated on the same level.

Raist

Well if everyone decides that 2+2=7 LOL SEE science is a social construct herpy derp

etiolate

That's also the most I've seen GAF make demands for context in relation to anything. That thread is an example of what you'd get if you put that Facebook post up there.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
David Cross is the ultimate milkshake duck.

I mean, if you ignore everything known about the guy for the last three decades. Other comedians have talked about him forever, and he's even admitted he can be a horrible person for no reason. Odenkirk has talked about how terrible he was to people during Mr. Show and that David was somehow worse. :lol

And all their circle of friends, that whole Boston-New York comedy scene of the 1980s and 1990s, that Louie C.K., Garafolo, Ben Stiller, etc. all came out of, they were all horrible to each other. A bunch of them couldn't deal with stints on SNL and it hadn't yet been cracked down on totally. It was when they hit their 40s in the mid-2000s that some of them started to go "holy shit we were bad" (probably looking at someone like Stiller's career and their own didn't help) and that's like the story of every comedy scene ever.

Not to defend the guy or anything he's ever done good or bad, but I mean, it's fucking stand up comedians. Learn like five minutes about any comedy scene especially pre-internet and it's nothing but toxic and problematic. Bill Cosby was one of the biggest comedians of all time! He had like three TV shows where he played a stodgy goofball! Yet people were telling Bill Cosby stories for decades before it went seriously mainstream. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an extreme example.

But I mean, stand up comedians! When did they become paragons of virtue instead of sleazy yet lovable trash like Dave Attell? (Who I would believe if you said has never actually done anything non consensual to someone. I get that vibe about him.)

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
Quote from: Messofanego
I thought Louie was along the same lines.

He has proof that Louie is a perv!

another idiot
That actually looks like real disgust.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252431751&postcount=42

sigh

seagrams hotsauce

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252395613&postcount=202
There are plenty of college intramural sports that have girls and boys on them. My collegiate ultimate Frisbee team had girls

Compare frisbee golf to rugby brehs

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252395613&postcount=202
There are plenty of college intramural sports that have girls and boys on them. My collegiate ultimate Frisbee team had girls

Compare frisbee golf to rugby brehs
Frisbee golf isn't ultimate frisbee :bolo

The comparison is still stupid
[close]
vin

nudemacusers

another idiot

It’s a pretty amazing twist when you find out Louie is dating Pamela.

Really sad to see a victim enter a relationship with their abuser. 😥
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Raist

An excellent question! While there's no 100% conclusive answer, the literature in general suggests that trans women who are well into an ongoing HRT treatment have no inherent benefit when competing against cis women.

Oh cool. Let's read the actual article in question and not just the abstract then.

The only experimental study was by Gooren and Bunck [23] who aimed to explore whether transgender people taking cross-sex hormone treatment can fairly compete in sport. The authors measured transgender people’s muscle mass (via magnetic resonance imaging) and hormone levels (via urine and blood analyses) before and 1 year after cross-sex hormone treatment. They found that 1 year after transgender male individuals had been administered cross-sex hormone treatment, testosterone levels significantly increased and these levels were within a cisgender male range. They also found that 1 year after cross-sex hormone treatment, transgender male individuals’ muscle mass had increased and was within the same range as transgender female individuals (assigned male at birth) who had not been prescribed cross-sex hormone treatment. In relation to transgender female individuals, Gooren and Bunck found testosterone levels had significantly reduced to castration levels after 1 year of cross-sex hormone treatment. Muscle mass had also reduced after 1 year of cross-sex hormone treatment. However, muscle mass remained significantly greater than in transgender male individuals (assigned female at birth) who had not been prescribed cross-sex hormone treatment.

Therefore, Gooren and Bunck concluded that transgender male individuals are likely to be able to compete without an athletic advantage 1-year post-cross-sex hormone treatment. To a certain extent this also applies to transgender female individuals; however, there still remains a level of uncertainty owing to a large muscle mass 1-year post-cross-sex hormones.

Oh...

benjipwns

Speaking of which, I should make a confession.

Chelsea Handler grabbed my butt in 2006-ish. Also she called me adorable. #metoo

To be fair, I think she was pulling me closer to shield her from the other people trying to force their way into yet another picture and put their arms all over her and who were hanging around because they were blatantly trying to get her to go out drinking at the shithole clubs in town and she probably wanted to just go back to Hampton Inn and pass out.

This was a few months before she fully changed her act to all about the sluttin and boozin and started dating the VP of E! and got Chelsea Lately. She was actually appreciative that me and my roommate had watched and enjoyed her short run show which had a segment where all she did was talk to old folks at her grandmothers or something assisted living place and the 80+ year old women would tell her dirty stories and shit. She said we were the only people on the tour who had not only mentioned it to her but remembered the name of the recurring old guests, while everyone else was just there because of that book she wrote about sluttin around. :lol

benjipwns

zepblackstar

Ho, GAF getting called out on that shit for once.

Hi there! Samit Sarkar here, the author of the article in question.

First off, thanks for reading! It sounds like you thought I made some good points, which is always nice to hear.

Secondly, a humble request: Would it be possible to not copy/paste literally my entire (lengthy!) article into a forum post, thereby giving GAF readers no reason to click through to Polygon? Not sure if there's any official GAF etiquette around this kind of thing, but as a GAF lurker myself, I feel like most people just post brief excerpts (especially for something like a 1600-word analysis piece).

Hope that's not an unreasonable ask. Cheers!

Too bad it's a dumb article from Polygon. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449798

oh its a Samit Sarka piece?

Fuck this guy.

benjipwns

another idiot

Wow, you know what's even worse for Louie. That's the voice of Bobby Hill he's assaulting there.

THAT'S MY PURSE, I DON'T KNOW YOU
[close]

Raist

Yeah, that is a damn shame. I think a philosophy/history of science module should be required for all STEM undergrads.

Sorry, we got better shit to do.

Himu

Louie is a Hollywood perv? noooooooooo
IYKYK

benjipwns

Yeah, that is a damn shame. I think a philosophy/history of science module should be required for all STEM undergrads.

Sorry, we got better shit to do.
A well taught philosophy of science course is arguably one of the better and more enjoyable courses that a core course package could include, I would think STEM majors would find it very interesting. Along with Intro to Logic including symbolic, the two courses of which were the fastest I saw people drop a class ever.

The real question for a course like that, and I presume the one the thread is about going off just the OP as I didn't read further, is which department has ownership of the course and who they have teaching it.

Himu

I just read that it's the death of single players games because Solo is dead.

Single player gamers :lol
IYKYK

benjipwns

i'm currently taking a second year astronomy bird course to fulfill a science requirement as an arts major and even i have a better grasp on how science is conducted than this
wow, i can't imagine how complex bird law is regarding space, i certainly wouldn't want to go toe-to-toe with someone in that field of law

Himu

IYKYK

benjipwns

A hundred years ago scientists were pretty convinced they had a line on objective reality. They were literally wrong about everything up to and including the fundamental makeup of the universe and the composition of the things they interact with every day.
Don't try and pull that bullshit. When those 'beliefs' were in vogue they were considered 'facts'. Look back upon this moment in 50 years and try to recall how many 'facts' that exist today that end being 'beliefs'.
How about the gamut of scientific knowledge that has been eventually disproven over the centuries?
Wait, I've seen this argument before...

etiolate

i'm currently taking a second year astronomy bird course to fulfill a science requirement as an arts major and even i have a better grasp on how science is conducted than this
wow, i can't imagine how complex bird law is regarding space, i certainly wouldn't want to go toe-to-toe with someone in that field of law

Dr. Falco Lombardi has an elegant and content rich book on this.

benjipwns

Quote from: Slayven
*Googles Twitter account and sees dude retweets Ben Shapiro*

Nah I am good
It would have been a lot easier to just post "I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it" to make sure he got his required post in.

Quote from: Liu Kang Baking A Pie
Reminds me of shit I did as a libertarian college kid where I'd dismiss new information because I didn't have either the intellectual curiosity or the motivation to scrutinize my long-held beliefs.
:hitler

Himu

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/18/16491188/ea-star-wars-visceral-games-single-player

I'm ashamed to even give this a click. Millions of single player gamers cried out in terror. :lol I can't be the only one who finds such hyperbole ridiculous especially during a year like this (or last year). Single player gamers. Crying out in terror. Because of one vidya game. From a nerd license (Star Wars). :lol

I can't stop laughing. :rofl
IYKYK

Himu

:lol This thread and article are amazing. :lol

How many multplayer games get good press beyond, I dunno, the initial release? Many game sites have reviewers of fighting games who...don't know how to play fighting games! I can't think of many multiplayer games that are even remotely considered goty material by the press? Or by most gamers? It's almost always single player. So let me get this straight. Single player games are dead and no one cares about single player games while the most talked about game this month by anyone with any taste is probably Cuphead. The same month that fucking MARIO comes out.

The hysterics from this article are just. too. good. :lol

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:43:34 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

venereology

same forum who thinks PUBG is a meme game that nobody actually really thinks is good

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Wow can't even believe what I'm reading rn. Are yall belittling solosexual games ? 45 really did a number on this country, god. Mods pls ?
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
same forum who thinks PUBG is a meme game that nobody actually really thinks is good

i still remember when they were sub 10mill sold and ppl kept saying its not gonna sell anymore or they're gonna need console to hit 20 mill...well they just sold 13 mill at the rate it's going will definitely be hitting 20 mill by christmas

Himu

:rejoice

This is revenge for ten years ago when westaboos got their jollies off on western games, deeming Japanese games to be dead while they jack off some overly bloated mess.

Seeing the circle of time produce sweet, sweet justice.

[close]
IYKYK

Himu

Why do they hate multiplayer so much? :lol
IYKYK

benjipwns

couldn't resist
[close]

Himu

couldn't resist
[close]

What game is this? :lol
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Paper Heart is a 2009 American romantic comedy film starring Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera as fictionalized versions of themselves based on their rumored relationship, though Yi has said they never dated.

THIS is what she’s famous for? She is objectively a bad person. If the wave of victims of sexual harassment/assault truly has turned into an excuse to out non-predator assholes (thus stealing attention from what really matters) as Charlyne (what a stupid fucking spelling of this name) thinks it is, she’s the biggest asshole of all.

She was also on the last season of House
🍆🍆

benjipwns

What game is this? :lol
Tim Stamper of Rare, circa 1998

but I've seen that argument on NeoGAF and elsewhere still

on another forum years ago there was this guy who bought Battlefield 2 and Left 4 Dead and Red Orchestra and some other multiplayer-centric games like those just to play with the bots because he thought multiplayer was a incredibly strange way to play games and wished they'd take it out of Call of Duty and stuff

Himu

on another forum years ago there was this guy who bought Battlefield 2 and Left 4 Dead and Red Orchestra and some other multiplayer-centric games like those just to play with the bots because he thought multiplayer was a incredibly strange way to play games

:confused
IYKYK

benjipwns

L4D at least has a campaign i suppose

also he seemed to think all MP was like Quake CTF still or something
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:29:56 PM by benjipwns »