Author Topic: Maybe the real NeoGAF was the friends we made along the way...  (Read 2179334 times)

injurai

Re: TheBore Safe Haven from GAF Alt-Right Mods - Evilore? I don't know her.
« Reply #8940 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
If someone did snatch user info to prop their own offshoot, could Evilore sue the person/person's? That's some pretty sketchy shit, too.

I'd love to see that happen, the longer the fire burns the more I'm entertained.

Himu

« Reply #8941 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »
Do we have a STATEMENT?
IYKYK

tummyfat

« Reply #8942 on: October 23, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
The word 'era' has no business being in there. It's like they wanted badly to use a synonym for 'age'

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #8943 on: October 23, 2017, 12:29:20 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-neogaf-offline-after-owner-accused-of-sexual-misconduct
NeoGAF was used by gaming fans, members of the press and industry executives alike. Its hivemind was often first to spot gaming news - or leak it - and proliferate ensuing memes. It had a reputation for being a kneejerky bellwether of the gaming community, and I've heard from too many developers to count that its threads were analysed closely to suggest the wider tone of feeling - or likely cause for feedback - for a game project.

Wow, so they really did have a hand in why videogames are such teetotal dogshit now  :foxx

More than one site was addicted to japanese tities but allergic to western ones, this was not unique to neogaf.

I'm more talking about how every game has to be a movie now with wretched 1990s Image comics dialogue and a couple of button presses every few minutes

Vertigo

« Reply #8944 on: October 23, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
Shinobi602 just posted in the discord that he, ZhugeEX and NIbel are all going to be admins at ResetEra.

http://slaent.com/thread/1232086/page/135/post/1249061/

Lol I can see the thinking behind it.

Sales figures and 'insider' rumors  why the fuck would anyone want NIbel though?

May as well add LoudNinja as an admin while they're at it.

Will probably happen. He seems a good 'fit' what they're obviously trying to do.

iPaul

« Reply #8945 on: October 23, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
Wait, Jay got permed for proving Tyler was lying, with documentation? The fuck?

Yeah, I remember that being posted on the Reddit GAF Hate group when it happened.  It was a total WTF moment that went completely unanswered and unexplained, like so many of his tantrums.

It's probably important to note that the context was someone else on the forum asking how they should prepare for their trip to eastern Europe, and Cranky Jay just said something like "Make sure you don't get scammed like Evilore did that one time."  It wasn't him explicitly mentioning the story, or saying "HAHA Look how this loser got scammed".  He basically just meant it as a cautiounary tale.  At worst maybe it was meant as passive-aggressive.
I remember when this happened.

taco543

« Reply #8946 on: October 23, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »
Can someone pm me that discord invite?? I'm intrigued as to this all.

injurai

« Reply #8947 on: October 23, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-neogaf-offline-after-owner-accused-of-sexual-misconduct
NeoGAF was used by gaming fans, members of the press and industry executives alike. Its hivemind was often first to spot gaming news - or leak it - and proliferate ensuing memes. It had a reputation for being a kneejerky bellwether of the gaming community, and I've heard from too many developers to count that its threads were analysed closely to suggest the wider tone of feeling - or likely cause for feedback - for a game project.

Wow, so they really did have a hand in why videogames are such teetotal dogshit now  :foxx

More than one site was addicted to japanese tities but allergic to western ones, this was not unique to neogaf.

I'm more talking about how every game has to be a movie now with wretched 1990s Image comics dialogue and a couple of button presses every few minutes

Do you mean toddler instead of teetotaler? Because that would make sense.

Sai

« Reply #8949 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
i hope terrisus joins resetera :)
ilysm

tummyfat

« Reply #8950 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:18 PM »
Shinobi602 just posted in the discord that he, ZhugeEX and NIbel are all going to be admins at ResetEra.

Sales figures and 'insider' rumors  why the fuck would anyone want NIbel though?

Same reason as Shinobi and Zhuge. Lots of followers on Twitter

Sai

« Reply #8951 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
also resetera sounds like a medicine that creates suicidal ideations as a side effect
ilysm

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #8952 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
Do we have a STATEMENT?

I think you mean do we have THE STATEMENT, not a STATEMENT. And no, we do not.
serge

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8953 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »
So Neogaf.com is back online but the forums have been nuked. Looks like Tyler is trying to squeeze out those last few ad dollars from people checking if the site is back online.

What a piece of shit.

Wait did he legit delete the forum as in all the threads and posts?

If so :aah
No, that's what the mobile site displays when the maintenance message is up.

Confirmed by bish on twitter of all people.

jiji

« Reply #8954 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:53 PM »
That GA take  :whew :whew :whew

also resetera sounds like a medicine that creates suicidal ideations as a side effect

All I can think of is Recettear.
OTL

Deavl

« Reply #8955 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »

You could ask "Why the fuck would anyone want X though?" about 75%+ of the current planned userbase

Fitting

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #8956 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »
I hope the proud #gamer isn't too proud about it in resetera.

In the last years since GG, there was a narrative in Neogaf, that being a #gamer is the equivalent of the white male rapist racist. There was always several posters in neogaf threads that decried gamers and were ashamed to be gamers when someone was harassed or an individual who played games did something bad.

I think it was that GG - and other gaming-oriented controversies since then - showed that this hobby we might have once thought would unite and remove us from the ugliness of life was just as tainted as what we were trying to escape. It proved that many of the people behind the games we enjoy harbor some very dark beliefs that made it very difficult to separate from our enjoyment of this pastime. It's too bad that the vast majority of the people expressing those ugly views are white males. Maybe that's a problem that should be addressed?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #8957 on: October 23, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »

Atelier Resetera.
serge

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

« Reply #8958 on: October 23, 2017, 12:33:44 PM »

Do you mean toddler instead of teetotaler? Because that would make sense.

I'm using teetotal in the older (way, way older) slang sense that means "complete"

Vertigo

« Reply #8959 on: October 23, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

You're right just glanced at his Twitter, erm he tweets a LOT like near enough non stop.

Bloody hell.

:neogaf

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #8960 on: October 23, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »
I hope one of these replacements gets up and running. I like having places like this - places where I can talk to known people that I recognize and am familiar with

but I also like having a place where I can refresh the page and get a bunch of new threads from random people and read random posts. Just a constant stream of new stuff.
nat

tummyfat

« Reply #8961 on: October 23, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »

You're right just glanced at his Twitter, erm he tweets a LOT like near enough non stop.

Bloody hell.

@ZHugeEX 31.5K followers
@Nibellion 32k followers
@shinobi602 40.9k followers

Dennis, buy a bunch of followers and you can be a mod.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8962 on: October 23, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »

Bloody hell.

Better than Besada or Kagari tho.
ὕβρις

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #8963 on: October 23, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
Looks like GAF is coming back up, so if you could all form a que to the left (get it?) and exit in a safe manner. Nice seeing y'all.

:umad
YMMV

Vertigo

« Reply #8964 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »

Bloody hell.

Better than Besada or Kagari tho.

True his focus is pretty much games. I can dig it.

Speaking of Kagari has she made any sort of comment?

wsippel

« Reply #8965 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
Was the information about the new site (Reset Era?) porting over the ban list and the email registration list true?

I'd heard they were wanting to keep out existing GAF-banned users but I'm not comfortable with everyone's emails just being willy-nilly handed over like that, whether registered or not.

Pretty sure that would be flat-out illegal, too. Tyler could sue them for stealing his data, and users could sue them for violating their privacy.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #8966 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
I always kind of like Nibel. But Shinobi.  :doge :doge :doge :doge

No idea who the other guy is.

Himu

« Reply #8967 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »

In the last years since GG, there was a narrative in Neogaf, that being a #gamer is the equivalent of the white male rapist racist. There was always several posters in neogaf threads that decried gamers and were ashamed to be gamers when someone was harassed or an individual who played games did something bad.

Haha. Nah people just clowned the idea of basing a large part of personality around being a gamer.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8968 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »
Fresh start for everyone eh? Dennis Confirmed.

http://slaent.com/thread/1232086/page/136/post/1249226/

:lol
Dennis and Bobby : A ResetEra sitcom
ὕβρις

Vertigo

« Reply #8969 on: October 23, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

His an analyst with a massive hard on for Sony. And comical hatred of MS.

border

« Reply #8970 on: October 23, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
I was watching Walking Dead last night and thinking "Man, this episode is pretty terrible and I enjoy almost every episode of the Walking Dead.  I wonder what everyone in the NeoGAF thread is going to say about it?  Ohhh wait...."

I kinda just miss having a place where you could get near-instant amounts of copious feedback on new media.  Not sure where to go for that now.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #8971 on: October 23, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »

I think it was that GG - and other gaming-oriented controversies since then - showed that this hobby we might have once thought would unite and remove us from the ugliness of life was just as tainted as what we were trying to escape. It proved that many of the people behind the games we enjoy harbor some very dark beliefs that made it very difficult to separate from our enjoyment of this pastime. It's too bad that the vast majority of the people expressing those ugly views are white males. Maybe that's a problem that should be addressed?

HAH! This right here is why GAF was shit. You're joking though, right?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #8972 on: October 23, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
so anyone got that discord link?

:-*
What

« Reply #8973 on: October 23, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »

Atelier Resetera.

Rated for High Impact Sexual Violence

Para-Medic

« Reply #8974 on: October 23, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
As long as it keeps the worst of GAF contained I don't care what they call it.

Pls don't let people like CrossingEden get a whiff of this place.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #8975 on: October 23, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
I swear that Shinobi602 got banned once for posting a gif of an edited call of duty commercial or something like that where a kid  with a guitar is orgasming while a ragdoll flops in front of him and explosions go off in the background, but i've never been able to find it.

It was probably the best gof i've seen in my life

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #8976 on: October 23, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
I was watching Walking Dead last night and thinking "Man, this episode is pretty terrible and I enjoy almost every episode of the Walking Dead.  I wonder what everyone in the NeoGAF thread is going to say about it?  Ohhh wait...."

I kinda just miss having a place where you could get near-instant amounts of copious feedback on new media.  Not sure where to go for that now.

same. i didn't care about the actual people, but being able to instantly see a ton of people react to a thing was pretty good.
nat

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #8977 on: October 23, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
Looks like GAF is coming back up, so if you could all form a que to the left (get it?) and exit in a safe manner. Nice seeing y'all.

As it should. The furor over what EL was accused is ridiculously overblown, so much so that I'm shocked he took the site down. Most GAF members are either indifferent to the accusation or felt it was an innoccously untoward act committed by someone naively unclear on how to conduct themselves in that kind of sexually charged situation. They just want their forum back.

diamount

« Reply #8978 on: October 23, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
As long as it keeps the worst of GAF contained I don't care what they call it.

Pls don't let people like CrossingEden get a whiff of this place.

He will see the moderation here won't ban you for wrongthink so he's already out of his element.

Vertigo

« Reply #8979 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »

Shinobi allowed himself to be co opted not so much as an insider but a marketing stooge for certain companies like Bioware and that's what undid him.

Trying to hold a straight face and say he enjoyed the last Mass Effect was the last straw for many. And he took his toys and went home to sulk.

Stormhammer

« Reply #8980 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
hi pals

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #8981 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
i was mostly in gaf to gauge reactions

i don't even know who the fuck opiate is

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8982 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Slaent will only keep the GAF drama thread this week. Wise.
Our whining shithole will stay open 24/7 tho. :rejoice
ὕβρις

M

« Reply #8983 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »

Same. He seems like a nice guy on here but everyone keeps rinsing him lel.

diamount

« Reply #8984 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

As it should. The furor over what EL was accused is ridiculously overblown, so much so that I'm shocked he took the site down. Most GAF members are either indifferent to the accusation or felt it was an innoccously untoward act committed by someone naively unclear on how to conduct themselves in that kind of sexually charged situation. They just want their forum back.

You mean they want their echo-chamber back where they don't want their opinions challenged.

injurai

« Reply #8985 on: October 23, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
Slaent will only keep the GAF drama thread this week. Wise.
Our whining shithole will stay open 24/7 tho. :rejoice

SAD! But I guess they'll always be people needing to decompress.

tummyfat

« Reply #8986 on: October 23, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »

Shinobi allowed himself to be co opted not so much as an insider but a marketing stooge for certain companies like Bioware and that's what undid him.

Trying to hold a straight face and say he enjoyed the last Mass Effect was the last straw for many. And he took his toys and went home to sulk.

His Twitter header is still art from Mass Effect. At least it's from the first trilogy

Dennis

« Reply #8987 on: October 23, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
I have no problem with Nibel and Shinobi.

They are gamers that want to talk about games.

Unlike some who forgot GAF was a gaming forum.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
YMMV

Borgnine

« Reply #8989 on: October 23, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
He probably did the math with how many thousands of dollars a minute he was losing so he threw up that empty front page that still has ads. Making a killing on people F5ing the fuck out of it just to see if it's back.

K

« Reply #8990 on: October 23, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
Word up pedOpiate

Imagine founding a small message board in 1999 as an extension of your site. Five years later, the moderators of the board decide to take over hosting and ownership due to issues with the ownership of your site. A year later, they shut you out. Over the next twelve years, two moderators are involved with pedophilia… Then the lead administrator abandons the site after specific accusations of sexual assault come to light.

http://www.gaming-age.com/2017/10/death-of-a-conversation/?utm_campaign=death-of-a-conversation&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Pedir0x, pedOpiate and EviLassaulter holding hands and burning NeoPEDO to the ground.

Bravotyler

« Reply #8991 on: October 23, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
Was there ever any specific dirt on Nirolak? He seemed to mostly stay on gaming side and came off as pretty level-headed, kept up with a lot of company job ads to get a clue of what they were focusing on well before a game announcement.

gfm793

« Reply #8992 on: October 23, 2017, 12:48:54 PM »

World of difference between pedophilia and evilore's usual creepy behavior? Sure. But dude got his just desserts and the girl maybe banging him later doesn't change that getting in the shower with someone who's vomiting, has a boyfriend, and didn't invite you isn't something to defend. As I've said before, she might have bad judgement but she wasn't wrong about that incident.

You're making up the puking part. You completely miss the context of the trip, and you're absolving her of every bit of responsibility and agency. I especially like the her having a boyfriend part of your argument, as if running off to a place known for drunken hookups means there is just no chance that signals were sent because she has a boyfriend.

News flash, people cheat. People go on trips to cheat. She ended up banging him later. She for some unknown reason was most likely interested in him at that point. They were both drunk, and he misread a signal. It's not fucking rocket surgery.

People acting like the world's worst enactment of the naked man pass is somehow traumatic. Though I guess seeing EvilLore Naked would be kinda nasty.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #8993 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

Same. He seems like a nice guy on here but everyone keeps rinsing him lel.

Former GAF mod who was demodded for his views on pedophilia. Some of his views really make you scratch your head.

NickFire

« Reply #8994 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »

Trump becomes president = better double down with the evil white boogeyman rhetoric.  Rabid communist website eats its own = better double down with the evil white boogeyman rhetoric.  Whoever you are, please stop smelling your farts all day, and step back into reality.  If you do, you may just find a game you enjoy playing more than passing out victim cards.   

GSG Flash

« Reply #8995 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »

Didn't like Opiate at all, he was one of those guys that thought that he was a step above everyone in intelligence and loved to have a contrarian opinion on everything, including pedophilia(effectively making him a pedo enabler)

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #8996 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
EviLore fancied himself a good business man.

Put himself along side Tim Cook and Elon Musk.

:sabu

Now when you search for anything NeoGAF or EviLore, all you get are sexual assault accusations.

:crowdlaff

Pretty sure I died a few days ago and this is heaven.
Fish<

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #8997 on: October 23, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »

HAH! This right here is why GAF was shit. You're joking though, right?

No, I'm very serious and speak from experience, remembering conversations I had with many minority members of the gaming community who were absolutely stunned that the ranks of their hobby included the dregs of society. We always knew that there were racists among us, as any time playing [insert your favorite multiplayer title of the last decade] could demonstrate. But, there was a feeling that the creators were above that, men who were educated enough to reject such prejudices.

Vertigo

« Reply #8998 on: October 23, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Was there ever any specific dirt on Nirolak? He seemed to mostly stay on gaming side and came off as pretty level-headed, kept up with a lot of company job ads to get a clue of what they were focusing on well before a game announcement.

Nirolak was probably one of the best mods. Good researcher, pretty much stayed on gaming side handled the NPD threads and modded fairly.

bmoequalsGOAT

« Reply #8999 on: October 23, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
I want chaos to reign lol. Gaf comes back on, the flock don't know what to do so they go back, ResetEra to bomb hard. Leaving Besada and all the bad mods with no where to go, they try to go back to GAF, catch an IP ban! 🤣🤣 Let chaos reign