Author Topic: October 2017 Scary Movie Watching Thread | Say hi to mommy...in hell!  (Read 29472 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Let's go!  :D

Your bonus assignment this year, should you choose to accept it, is to watch A Dark Song. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's hella dope and it's on Netflix so no excuse. It's an Irish indie flick about two people casting a spell, but this ain't Harry Potter tho fam, this is like some real Aleister Crowley shit.  :o

Watch List
1. The Blob (1988)
2. Death Spa (1987)
3. The Stuff (1985)
4. A Cure for Wellness (2017)
5. They Live (1988)
6. Vampyros Lesbos (1971)
7. Kill, Baby, Kill! (1966)
8. The Omen (1976)
9. Videodrome (1983)
10. Abattoir (2016)
11. Piranha (1978)
12. Daughters of Darkness (1970)
13. Happy Death Day (2017)
14. The Babysitter (2017)
15. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
16. Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)
17. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
18. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985)
19. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
20. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)
21. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)
22. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
23. Jason X (2001)
24. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
25. Friday the 13th (2009)
26. Species (1995)
27. Train to Busan (2016)
28. A Dark Song (2016)
29. Gremlins (1984)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:47:52 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Tasty

Continually-updated list of the movies I've watched this month and their ratings.

5 / 5
  • A Dark Song
  • The Blair Witch Project (rewatch)
  • The Autopsy of Jane Doe
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Trick 'r Treat (rewatch)

4 / 5
  • Triangle (2009)
  • American Psycho
  • The Hallow
  • The Vanishing (1988)
  • Martyrs (2008)
  • They Live
  • Gerald's Game
  • It Comes at Night

3 / 5
  • The Taking of Deborah Logan
  • Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
  • Hush (2016)
  • Hidden (2015)
  • Phantasm
  • Sleepaway Camp
  • Halloween III: Season of the Witch

2 / 5
  • Lake Mungo
  • Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
  • A Cure for Wellness
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Pandorum
  • Fracture
  • Visions (2015)
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • Cub

1 / 5
  • Playback
  • The Midnight Meat Train
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:17:08 AM by Tasty Meat »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Watched Jaws this weekend.

I know Jaws is one of the all-time classics, but I've never been crazy about it. I feel like the first half is a bit of a slog and I've never found it to be scary. The second half is good though, and Quint is a boss (even though Spielberg kills him off like a bitch). The scene were him and Hooper were comparing scars and then Quint goes over the top of him with his war story is the best scene in the movie imo.

"Lifeless eyes. Black eyes...like a doll's eyes."
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
The oldest two are old enough now to get introduced to some of the less gory stuff and the wife and I hate gore and jump scares so here's what we've seen so far:

Silence of the Lambs (still excellent)
the original IT (has not aged well)
The Shining (everyone loved it)
The Original Blair Witch Project - The kids were sorta like "meh, so what?"
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Picked up Get Out and Split on BD.
©@©™

Tasty

The Blackcoat's Daughter

I found this one kinda boring. But people like it so maybe I didn't get it...

Tasty

The Original Blair Witch Project - The kids were sorta like "meh, so what?"

If it was the last of the bunch you watched I can probably see why.

I will never not get chills from that movie though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Douche chills maybe.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never seen Blair Witch. :shh
[close]
©@©™

Tasty

Douche chills maybe.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've never seen Blair Witch. :shh
[close]

Blair Witch was a letdown.

The Blair Witch Project is a horror classic, though. :rejoice

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Blair Witch Project was amazing when it came out, maybe its time to rewatch it.

For Halloween Ill finally watch Get Out which just came out on iTunes now.

Usually watch only 1 horror movie a year or something cause Im so bad with them (like I still sometimes dont want to look in mirrors at night cause of that Sunderland movie 10 years ago... ) last one I remember was It Follows which I really liked.

BobFromPikeCreek

Re: October(ish) 2017 Scary Movie Watching Thread | Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
Been thinking about doing a Kill List rewatch.
zzzzz

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Re: October(ish) 2017 Scary Movie Watching Thread | Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
I don't really consider jaws too horror-y but it's a fav of mine and I watch it a couple times a year when it comes on TNT or whatever

Otherwise I'm not a big horror fan. Doesn't do much for me.

I did see the new IT which was solid. Probably the last horror movie I watch for a while
dur

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
not really "scary" but if any of you are looking for a fun break in between your marathons this october here is one of my sensitive goth boy favorites:

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
Would Contact count? I want to watch it and it seems eerie enough.

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »
not really "scary" but if any of you are looking for a fun break in between your marathons this october here is one of my sensitive goth boy favorites:

That looks fun! Gives off a Dead Alive vibe.

Quaker

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:21 PM »
Contact? The Carl Sagan movie?  :confused

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 12:48:08 AM »
The Blackcoat's Daughter

Its one of those movies, like the witch, that use mood to scare its audience. And I loved the twist.

Blair Witch is a travesty of a movie.

You guys should watch this. Pretty interesting.

Premptive ":badass"

As someone who has gone at length over the past 10 years delving into all aspects of Blair Witch lore, yeah, this is a load of bunk.

Not content with merely rehashing an unfounded theory, this extra shitty video for the YouTube generation adds in all the loathsome aspects of his kin that should be purged from all children of the human race.

As for the theory itself, it's heavily reliant on the second-tier canon source of Heather's diary, and also upon her relationship with Josh, which was clearly changed in the final edit of the film for good reason.

An interesting Buzzfeed though experiment, and not much else.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Watched Suspiria in the theaters a week and a half ago – it's this new print they uncovered that included a few deleted scenes.  Print ran a little red but it actually added a lot to the already amazing lighting design of the movie.
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »
Has anyone seen VVitch? VVas is any good?
©ZH

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
The Blackcoat's Daughter

Horror-y critics seemed to like it, but none of the people I know that watched it dug it that much. At least one of them liked I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which I thought was pretty decent, even if it was a bit dry and felt like it ran longer than its running time. I'll give it a watch eventually, but I have the feeling it's going to be a slow atmospheric type of thing, so it's kind of on the back burner.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 10:53:11 AM »
Lol jesus. You take this shit way too seriously.

:D

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Has anyone seen VVitch? VVas is any good?

It's excellent. Can't recommend enough.
zzzzz

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
Watched Suspiria in the theaters a week and a half ago – it's this new print they uncovered that included a few deleted scenes.  Print ran a little red but it actually added a lot to the already amazing lighting design of the movie.

Are you sure it's not "just" the version that was remastered 10 years or so ago ? They regraded it with the DoP and they went bonkers with the red esp. in the last third.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
Watched Alien last night.

Just a good-ass movie. :lawd RIP Harry Dean Stanton
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 12:09:36 PM »
I rewatched Blair Witch Project last month, it still holds up. Unlike a lot of found footage films, it's actually a GOOD movie that isn't simply reliant on a gimmick. It's a well executed slow burn that pays off at the end.

I also saw like 10 minutes of the sequel, which came on immediately afterward (HBO). Shit was trash, I turned it off with the quickness
 :badass
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:44:38 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
I expected to really hate that movie but I'm actually pretty fond of it. :lol

TVC15

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
I rewatched Black Witch Project last month, it still holds up. Unlike a lot of found footage films, it's actually a GOOD movie that isn't simply reliant on a gimmick. It's a well executed slow burn that pays off at the end.

I also saw like 10 minutes of the sequel, which came on immediately afterward (HBO). Shit was trash, I turned it off with the quickness

I'm assuming you mean Blair Witch. There is a movie called Black Witch Project, but I see no sequels to it.

I find the sequel slightly intriguing. It's certainly not good by any measure, but it was an (at the time) rare attempt for a major movie to go really meta. It's fun to read up on its production and what Berlinger intended, even though I get the idea that even his ideal version wouldn't have been very good due to things like, say, the cast. I find it vastly more interesting than the recent Blair Witch movie, which is just unambitious and mediocre all around.

The only good thing about the recent one is that I got to go to a pre-screening with the director and they gave everyone Blair Witch stick man pins. The movie was so bad that I left before the Q&A with Wingard though. He disappointed me greatly. Death Note didn't win him any points either. Dude needs another hit.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
I expected to really hate that movie but I'm actually pretty fond of it. :lol

Same.

I rewatched Black Witch Project last month, it still holds up. Unlike a lot of found footage films, it's actually a GOOD movie that isn't simply reliant on a gimmick. It's a well executed slow burn that pays off at the end.

I'm assuming you mean Blair Witch. There is a movie called Black Witch Project, but I see no sequels to it.

I find the sequel slightly intriguing. It's certainly not good by any measure, but it was an (at the time) rare attempt for a major movie to go really meta. It's fun to read up on its production and what Berlinger intended, even though I get the idea that even his ideal version wouldn't have been very good due to things like, say, the cast. I find it vastly more interesting than the recent Blair Witch movie, which is just unambitious and mediocre all around.

The only good thing about the recent one is that I got to go to a pre-screening with the director and they gave everyone Blair Witch stick man pins. The movie was so bad that I left before the Q&A with Wingard though. He disappointed me greatly. Death Note didn't win him any points either. Dude needs another hit.

yeah, I'm sure Godzilla vs King Kong will be the hit he needs.

:six:

Ugh. Bro needs to get away from Hollywood shit.
serge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
I had so much hope for Adam Wingard after You're Next and The Guest..  :-\
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »
I had so much hope for Adam Wingard after You're Next and The Guest..  :-\

We all did breh.

TVC15

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »

Are you sure it's not "just" the version that was remastered 10 years or so ago ? They regraded it with the DoP and they went bonkers with the red esp. in the last third.

It was most likely the "new" 4k version. It's screening right now. I'm seeing it this weekend.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
PS: Deep Red is still my favorite Argento.
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
The one I think of was not 4k (there's a very wide shot of two cops finding the blind man's corpse and basically there was no details and the silhouettes were blurry dots, probably the result of some digital cleaning filter and denoise). It was done over a decade ago but it was still the one used in a retrospective 2 years ago with Argento present... Regardless the grading has been blessed by Argento and the DoP so you're probably bound to find it on any current digital copies even if it's a better master.

Not a big fan of the red color grade to be honest. It's so aggressive the end (which is already vivid red) is overexposed as a result.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:50:48 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:39 PM »

It was most likely the "new" 4k version. It's screening right now. I'm seeing it this weekend.

Yeah it was this
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
I'm knocking out all my favs right off the bat. Last night I watched The Thing.

This movie is John Carpenter at the top of his game, Kurt Russel being badass, and creature effects that will never be topped. I don't mean to go all old fogey over CGI, but the juiciness of the practical gore and creature effects in the movies from this era, there was just a certain weight to them that made them seem more real, even when it looks less real. It was an art form. 

:aah
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Oh, I should've posted that I watched Poltergeist in this thread.

Well, uh, I also watched the "Are the Zodiac Killer and Unabomber the same person" episode of Unsolved Mysteries last night. 5 stars.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
 :letsfukk
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
I watched Evil Dead 2 last night.

©@©™

Tasty

Tasty

1. A Dark Song

Great recommendation by Joe here. Absolutely punishing atmosphere, great music, solid acting, and a deft, subtle direction make this a really solid pick. It's a very slow boil, and the ending isn't for everyone, but I was hooked the entire time. I dislike equating a popular movie with one I just saw, but this really feels like The Witch in terms of craftsmanship and ambiance. Just a great stripped-down, slow-boil horror.

5 / 5

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
October 1

The Blob (1988)

Oh man, I wonder who's killing and melting people. Is it TROUBLED TEEN(tm) and noted local S A D B O Y Brian Flagg, who smokes and drinks and drives a motorcycle that he launches over sweet jumps? Or is it the Blob, a monster that kills people and melts them? Who can say? Surely there are good people on both sides of the debate. The movie was decently entertaining and had good SFX for the Blob.
©@©™

Tasty

Friday the 13th Rankings

7 > Freddy vs. Jason > 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 2009 Reboot > 6 > X > 5 > 8 >>>>>>>>>> infinity >>>>>>>> 9

Tasty

I have no love for that fucking cruise ship in 8, but 9 is just so fucking terrible. Jason is a worm more than he's fucking Jason in that movie. I'd take the fake Jason from 5 over that! God it was just fucking horrible and the tone was all wrong. And on top of all that Jason looked like fucking shit in that movie, and not in a cool way.

At the very least, 8 gave us this:

I will never not laugh at this. It's so fucking drawn out and cheesy. :lol

TVC15

Friday the 13th Rankings

7 > Freddy vs. Jason > 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 2009 Reboot > 6 > X > 5 > 8 >>>>>>>>>> infinity >>>>>>>> 9

Pretty good list. I'd update it to:

4 > 7 > 1 > 2 = 3 > X > 6 > 5 > 9 > Remake > 8

8 is the least enjoyable. You can at least derive some enjoyment from the ridiculousness of 9. Not quite sure where I'd stick Freddie vs Jason. Probably between either 6 and 5 or 5 and 9. It has some cool parts, but it's really not paced so well.
serge

Tasty

Also my list this year:
  • A Dark Song
  • Lake Mungo
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
  • Blair Witch
  • A Cure for Wellness
  • Triangle
  • The Vanishing
  • The Taking of Deborah Logan
  • Martyrs (2008)
  • The Hallow
  • Exorcist III
  • Exorcist: The Beginning
  • Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Hush (2016)
  • Sleepaway Camp
  • Resolution (2012)
  • Green Room
  • Fracture
  • The Autopsy of Jane Doe
  • Phantasm
  • Phantasm 2
  • Phantasm 3
  • Phantasm 4
  • Contact
  • Visions
  • Playback
  • Hidden (2015)
  • Sinister 2
  • It Comes at Night
Will probably do some things out of order.

TVC15

Elm Street ranking:

1 > 3 > 4 > 5 > New Nightmare > 2 > 6 > Remake

2 and 6 have a strong "trainwreck" factor that makes them entertaining even though they're pretty terrible. I personally feel New Nightmare gets overrated by fans of the series--it's good, but Scream did the meta-horror stuff better and was a lot more fun. New Nightmare may have had some novel ideas, but it's not particularly a blast to watch like other movies in the series. It also features a really annoying child. The less said about the remake the better. At least the beginning of that Friday the 13th remake was pretty fun. There's nothing redeeming about the Elm Street remake.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
We doing plug.dj? or some other sync watch thing?

TVC15

Also, that 4 hour Elm Street documentary is really good all the way through. They did a great job on that.
serge

Tasty

New Nightmare > 3 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > Remake

I really loved New Nightmare.

TVC15

Scream rankings:

1 > 2 > 3 > 4
serge

TVC15

From that list, I'd drop the 2 Exorcist 4s. They're really bad. Watch the TV series or something instead. Sinister 2 is also really, really, really bad.

IIRC, Meat's a big Blair Witch fan, so I'd keep the newest flick on there.
serge

TVC15

Much like Scream, I'd rank the Saw movies in order of release. Maybe swap 2 and 3. I kind of have a soft spot for two since it's the most different of the sequels.
serge

Tasty

New Nightmare > 3 > 1

You're dead to me.

Friday the 13th (series) > Nightmare on Elm Street (series)

TVC15

From that list, I'd drop the 2 Exorcist 4s. They're really bad. Watch the TV series or something instead. Sinister 2 is also really, really, really bad.

All the more reason to not watch Blair Witch. Just watch Last Broadcast and pretend its a Blair Witch sequel.

Haha, is Last Broadcast available streaming anywhere these days? That's a fun little movie. With a really stupid ending.
serge

Tasty

Remove Sinister 2 and Blair Witch and add Sleepaway Camp II and III.

Will consider.

I've seen them all before but never in sequence, and it's been a good ten years since I've seen Book of Shadows. I know it's terrible but I've forgotten so much about it.

I heard Sinister 2 was OK. 🤔 The first was great.

The Exorcist movies I'm watching just to compare. Same script, different directors. Really interested in seeing how that changes a movie.

Tasty

All the more reason to not watch Blair Witch. Just watch Last Broadcast and pretend its a Blair Witch sequel.

Haha, is Last Broadcast available streaming anywhere these days? That's a fun little movie. With a really stupid ending.

I was actually just about to post the same thing, lol. Pretty creepy but it's clear why Blair Witch blew up and The Last Broadcast didn't.

TVC15

Ugh, last time I resorted to using YouTube to watch a movie was to re-watch The Garbage Pail Kids Movie. I like The Last Broadcast, but it's no The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.
serge

TVC15

serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Or have good taste.
©@©™

TVC15

My scary movie for yesterday was the HBO Slenderman documentary, which was mostly pretty good. There were some aspects I found questionable--mainly in that they spend a good portion of time trying to sell that Slenderman can be seen as a guardian or hero by certain lonely kids, which is something I've never heard before.

It also would've been better if they waited until the case went to trial and was finished up before they made the doc, but the makers probably had no idea how long that would actually take to happen.
serge