Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174561 times)

agrajag

Boredfrom

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #4861 on: November 27, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
Resetera still complaining about "A hat in time" having Jontron there?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #4862 on: November 27, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Quote from: Finale Fireworker
I remember when The Vanishing of Ethan Carter came out and there was controversy about Adrian Chmielarz. I had already bought the game before I learned about who made it but then had a lot of guilt about playing it. I talked about it with a bunch of people and heard plenty of thoughtful arguments about why it was still justifiable to play the game - excusing the fact that I already owned it.

1. Every game is probably worked on and created by a scumbag. The industry is huge and games employ dozens to hundreds to thousands of people and the likelihood that one is human garbage is high. If I didn’t play a video game just because it was touched by a racist or a sexist or a fascist I would never be able to play anything. This argument calls for death of the author, something I normally advocate for.

2. Games are made by lots of people and letting one person’s ideology define the game’s identity isn’t fair to everyone else who worked on it. Problematic views of developers or directors and designers are their own - not the company or the game itself.

And I could entertain these rationalizations. If the creator’s politics aren’t present in the game then you don’t have to look beyond the theme and ideas of the game itself. The content stands alone. That’s fine. That’s fair. I can see people arriving at this conclusion and I would respect that.

But ultimately it wasn’t enough for me to play Ethan Carter. I deleted it off my hard drive.

For A Hat in Time, I’ve considered all of these same arguments. I’ve been following the game since it was just a Wii U game coming to Kickstarter. I was waiting for the game for a long time and it remains something I would normally be interested in. But while it’s harder to pass on a game I really wanted to play, it’s also easy to skip.

The questionable content was completely optional. Gears for Breakfast had numerous options for how to address the situation and they chose not to say or do anything at all. There was no mandatory reason to include this content and rather than take a stand against racism like Playtonic or leave it up to backers through a survey or anything at all they just did nothing. That’s their choice.

But I just don’t want to play a game that had the choice to not include a fascist as fan service and did it anyway. I have no qualms not supporting a studio financially if I can support a personally-affected developer morally. Morality doesn’t pay the bills, but this is just bigger than that for me.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #4863 on: November 27, 2017, 05:02:21 PM »
Still cracks me up to see what would otherwise be a fairly mild transgression get a BIG RED MODERATION WARNING on REE. Stuff like this https://www.resetera.com/posts/1441903/  :lol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #4865 on: November 27, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
Still cracks me up to see what would otherwise be a fairly mild transgression get a BIG RED MODERATION WARNING on REE. Stuff like this https://www.resetera.com/posts/1441903/  :lol
I seriously feel for the mod team, especially the women. ERA is off to a great start and I consider this place a lovely community but there's still a lot of work to do.

benjipwns

« Reply #4866 on: November 27, 2017, 05:09:44 PM »
 :drudge :gddr5 :drudge
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1444532/
Quote from: Morrigan
That is not what happened at all.
"Yes it is."

I mean, just because you're a moderator and say something in a terse definitive way isn't going to impress me into being convinced you're right. It wasn't that long ago that neogaf (the community) handled the whole incident with the pedophile moderator, someone a lot more involved in the community than the owner, with barely a flinch. There were definite changes in the overall attitude of the community leading up to the harassment issue, which I believe was probably a lot more obvious to someone who wasn't a part of it. A change that without which I sincerely believe would not have caused the site to collapse the way it did.

The whole unforgiving moral righteousness schtick can survive exactly as long as it takes for someone to realize you aren't perfect, either.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #4867 on: November 27, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
 :ohhh

counterhit

« Reply #4868 on: November 27, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
Seems like "arguing in bad faith" is the current Resetera phrase. There's been other ways to say this, like "disingenuous" (and the vague "alt-right rhetoric"), but at the rate they are going through these they'll be down to "you are not allowed to think that" warnings by next year.

agrajag

« Reply #4869 on: November 27, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
Fuck off with your normalcy privilege you normie shitlords.

benjipwns

« Reply #4870 on: November 27, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »
Seems like "arguing in bad faith" is the current Resetera phrase. There's been other ways to say this, like "disingenuous" (and the vague "alt-right rhetoric"), but at the rate they are going through these they'll be down to "you are not allowed to think that" warnings by next year.
Can you prove you aren't making this post in bad faith? Because it seems potentially disingenuous. Especially if I assume you're an alt-right infiltrator from one of those problem sites like The Bore's gaming side.

etiolate

« Reply #4871 on: November 27, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »

USER WAS WARNED FOR BAD FAITH COVER

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4872 on: November 27, 2017, 05:52:55 PM »
Pretty sure they're using the words "bad faith" as a pseudo professional way of saying in the most whiny voice possible "You CAN'T be serious!"
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #4873 on: November 27, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
or "i thought we already purged these thoughts"

etiolate

« Reply #4874 on: November 27, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
which is paranoia

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #4875 on: November 27, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
Is it problematic that I like to play as a black woman in COD WWII? Digital blackface or nah?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4876 on: November 27, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
Is it problematic that I like to play as a black woman in COD WWII? Digital blackface or nah?
Come on son, if you have to ask you know :ufup

blaze

« Reply #4877 on: November 27, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/reset-era-i-made-a-song-for-you.8342/

Some dude wrote a song for fucking reset era. are these people for real?

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #4878 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
Come on son, if you have to ask you know :ufup

I'm not racist, but I think she looks great in the vintage military gear.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, doing so upsets both the racists on the right AND the left. :yeshrug
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4879 on: November 27, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
:drudge :gddr5 :drudge
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1444532/
That is not what happened at all.
"Yes it is."

I mean, just because you're a moderator and say something in a terse definitive way isn't going to impress me into being convinced you're right. It wasn't that long ago that neogaf (the community) handled the whole incident with the pedophile moderator, someone a lot more involved in the community than the owner, with barely a flinch. There were definite changes in the overall attitude of the community leading up to the harassment issue, which I believe was probably a lot more obvious to someone who wasn't a part of it. A change that without which I sincerely believe would not have caused the site to collapse the way it did.

The whole unforgiving moral righteousness schtick can survive exactly as long as it takes for someone to realize you aren't perfect, either.
:salute

The last sentence is almost too salient to miss....Almost. Of course, they missed it.
que

etiolate

« Reply #4880 on: November 27, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

depends on how sassy your k/d ratio is

nudemacusers

« Reply #4881 on: November 27, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »
the gaf implosion is an interesting case... if one cared enough, you could take a years-wide historical 'SSW' temperature of the forum based on the numerous 'evilore is a gropey creep' burner threads that would pop up via burner accounts and the dismissive replies therein (especially those who now cast wide aspersions on his gross/problematic behavior)*. was not until it hit critical mass in popular media, and was resurfaced via a more savory platform (girl on facebook vs 'neogaf hate machine generators') that it became acceptable to finally make a stand and leave. despite all the mods who ran from the sinking ship faithfully deleting and squirreling threads literally just days prior. hm.

also amusing to see people who def. spent lots of time on neogaf have remarkably faulty memories wrt to the amirox thing and the several examples of evilore's now-heinous gropey creepy behavior (euro assgate, the pic trade, etc) yet have an encyclopedic index of literally everything else on the forum. hm!

*one could probably pull up all of those voat archives for some real lulz.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Jansen

« Reply #4882 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1446064/

While I don't especially care about convincing you of anything, I must repeat that no, this isn't what happened. Most of the community knew nothing about Amir0x, this was all on the owner, as was the "implosion" you spoke of.

In any case, since that wasn't clear, my "terse definitive" moderator post was basically me trying to tell you to drop this line of argumentation because it's not only off-topic and against our rules, but you're also essentially severely distorting the events in a way that does not appear honest to begin with. In any case -- stop derailing the thread with your "hot takes". If you're insisting on pursuing this NeoGAF debacle debate, you'll have to take it to PM.

this dude has no idea what they are talking about

Leadbelly

« Reply #4883 on: November 27, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
The alt-right isn't a strictly American phenomenon. France has those too. Marine Le Pen anyone?
:thinking

At that point Alt-Right just becomes a catch-all term. Although that's how most people on RE use it anyway.

Front National has a really ugly past, but has shifted to a less extreme postion under Marine Le Pen. Now, people might say this is just a tactic to get wider support, and that maybe right, but as far as actual policies go, it isn't nearly as extreme as the party once was. That's not to say it isn't a worrying sign, it is, but last time I checked, they didn't really support a white ethno state, for example.

The point being, the reason for much higher support of Front National perhps isn't because a large section of the French public have turned into raving White Supremacists, it's because they feel the other mainstream parties are ineffective when dealing with immigration. France has been hit with a wave of Islamic terrorism in recent years, as you all know. This has led to greater support of Front National.

Interestingly, this has also led to a change in rhetoric from the more centre parties. They have moved further to the right in a bid to ward off further gain by Front National. The problem is, a change in rhetoric doesn't necessarily mean a change in action. That is likely to be the result when it comes from the Established parties. No change in action might mean the public and the politicians no longer see eye to eye on this matter again.

You know, things like this are important to get right when trying to deal with these issues. Looking at these things and proclaiming they are all essentially the same thing will mean 1) you are ineffective in dealing with it, and 2) you will lose a large section of the public through alienating them.

Clockwork5

« Reply #4884 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
Ugh Cindi, you working on your second ban in that SSW thread?

I'd link your posts but I don't want to get benji in trouble for doxxing.

agrajag

« Reply #4885 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:56 PM »
Lol giving Americans credit for European far right movements!
:neogaf

Oh Morrigan, you sweet summer child.

Himu

« Reply #4886 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »

I have said nothing worthy of being banned. The fact I can even talk like that without being banned makes this better than neogaf especially given my perma ban at the place.

The staff at Reset don't like the term SJW, but they sure as fuck aren't going to ban you because you talk about its use.
IYKYK

Leadbelly

« Reply #4887 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
Imagine revolving your entire life around this type of bullshit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/leftist-youtube-ot-we-virtue-signal.6093/

lol
I especially like this bit:

as for the last many years Youtube has been outright dominated by disingenuous centrists and far-right extremists

Come on now. First of all who are the far-right extremists that dominate youtube? What the hell does 'far-right extremist' even mean at that point? What he probably means is people on the right with unfavourable opinions of liberals. Paul Joseph Watson for example. He has some pretty harsh opinions, but he is not a far-right extremist.

What I really love though is his branding of the centrists(mostly left leaning in actual fact) as disingenuous. If someone who claims to be on the left or a centrist has an opinion that doesn't align with my own, the only explanation is they are being disingenuous. It couldn't possibly be they say it because they believe it. lol
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:33:21 PM by Leadbelly »

FStop7

« Reply #4888 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1451430/

Oh that's definitely a children's cereal.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4889 on: November 27, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
uhh I dunno, Paul Joseph Watson is pretty far right dude

Leadbelly

« Reply #4890 on: November 27, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
uhh I dunno, Paul Joseph Watson is pretty far right dude

A far-right extremist?

I remember when that basically meant a neo-nazi. I mean he has dabbled in conspiracy theories for many years, which you would expect being part of InfoWars, but he isn't a white supremacist as far as I can tell.

This just begs the question: What does far-right extremist even mean anymore?

Clockwork5

« Reply #4891 on: November 27, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
Lol someone on RE has this goose avatar. That could be problematic for them.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4892 on: November 27, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
I mean personally the word 'extremist' invokes an image of someone pushed to action or violence because of their views, not someone ranting into the camera about how evil immigrants are, but everything I've seen from that dude suggests he's about far right you can get before you start using racial slurs publically. I don't think their point was that PJW or Sargon of Akkad are gonna start bombing mosques or whatever, just clumsy phrasing about how visible that type of personality has gotten recently

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4893 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
every xenoblade chronicles 2 thread on reset is a dumpster fire

also the mods said NO to a thread specifically discussing the character design, leaving every thread about an 80/20 ratio of people bitching about design vs the actual topic of the thread

what the fuck are the mods problem at that place?

Pepinappe

• Ass
« Reply #4894 on: November 27, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »
Jesus Christ, how much would you bet Crossing Eden hasn't actually been in an LGBT activist group in a long period, and is just using his experience in another activist group to say that "your friends and small group don't represent the bigger picture." Because ALL activist groups are the same, amirite?

Leadbelly

« Reply #4895 on: November 27, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
I mean personally the word 'extremist' invokes an image of someone pushed to action or violence because of their views, not someone ranting into the camera about how evil immigrants are, but everything I've seen from that dude suggests he's about far right you can get before you start using racial slurs publically. I don't think their point was that PJW or Sargon of Akkad are gonna start bombing mosques or whatever, just clumsy phrasing about how visible that type of personality has gotten recently

Mostly Islamic immigration. Bit of a weird subject. Somethign Douglas Murray has mentioned before is that, about ten years ago, if you talked about "Muslims raping our girls" in the UK everyone would brand you a racist, no question, and for obvious reasons. However, now it has come to light that there are Muslim grooming gangs throughout the country. It turns out it is quite common place. It really does sound like the mad rants of a racist, but it is true. This is part of the problem when talking about these issues. It sounds racist.

To be honest, I don't think Paul Joseph Watson has said much more than what Douglas Murray has said about immigration. The difference I guess is more the tone.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:34:14 PM by Leadbelly »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4896 on: November 27, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »

also the mods said NO to a thread specifically discussing the character design, leaving every thread about an 80/20 ratio of people bitching about design vs the actual topic of the thread

Well the character designs are trash.

Leadbelly

« Reply #4897 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:47 PM »
Actually if you don't know who Douglas Murray is:

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4898 on: November 27, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »

Well the character designs are trash.

it's not even about general character design, it's specifically about BOOBS and how BOOBS in a video game are awful and if you enjoy BOOBS you must be a misogynistic piece of shit, etc. etc. and all female characters ever need to be wearing burlap sacks that show no cleavage and/or curves.

also no actual woman has BOOBS or evil misogynistic CURVES and if you think they do or that is any way "normal" then you need to re-evaluate your life.

::)

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4899 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
it's not even about general character design, it's specifically about BOOBS and how BOOBS in a video game are awful and if you enjoy BOOBS you must be a misogynistic piece of shit, etc. etc. and all female characters ever need to be wearing burlap sacks that show no cleavage and/or curves.

also no actual woman has BOOBS or evil misogynistic CURVES and if you think they do or that is any way "normal" then you need to re-evaluate your life.

::)

everything about this post is

GROSS

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4900 on: November 27, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
at least make sure you're logged into your alt correctly Jenkem. :comeon
que

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4901 on: November 27, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
Looks like RejectEra has moved past the era of jerking each other off and fanning each other's balls and are going full draconian now.
🍆🍆

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4902 on: November 27, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

I have said nothing worthy of being banned. The fact I can even talk like that without being banned makes this better than neogaf especially given my perma ban at the place.

The staff at Reset don't like the term Social Studies Warrior, but they sure as fuck aren't going to ban you because you talk about its use.

I dunno, hun. They do have the tendency to GAF-themselves to death.

Looks like RejectEra has moved past the era of jerking each other off and fanning each other's balls and are going full draconian now.

Is anyone really surprised, though?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4903 on: November 27, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »

Actually I'm surprised it took them this long.
🍆🍆

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4904 on: November 27, 2017, 10:22:02 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Jansen

« Reply #4905 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »
lol himuro will def get permabanned from era unless you course correct and get in their lane

Himu

« Reply #4906 on: November 27, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »
Nah. You guys are ridiculous. All I've done is express an opinion. I've given my reasons as to how I came to that opinion. I've not insulted anyone. We've had a heated debate, but that's adults being adults and some of us have found common ground.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4907 on: November 27, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »
lol himuro will def get permabanned from era unless you course correct and get in their lane
Well she is a boss of a majorly problematic hate site.
que

TwEE-N-Toast

« Reply #4909 on: November 27, 2017, 11:12:30 PM »
I wonder if reset thinks Amir0x was arguing in good faith when he was was doing his woke schtick.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Risible

« Reply #4911 on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »
People name their kid after Olive Garden.  People defend the decision.  FFS.  It's the same people who vote for names like BoatyMcBoatface.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/arkansas-couple-name-their-first-child-after-olive-garden.8221/

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #4912 on: November 27, 2017, 11:57:51 PM »
Oh, there’s Xia. I was wondering when he’d show back up and turn the dump into a viral advertisement for shitty chain restaurants.

I don’t remember him shilling Olive Garden before on GAF. I assume this means his firm probably landed a new contract with Darden restaurants or something.

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4913 on: November 28, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »
I hope if anyone here is having a kid you name it Taco Bell.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #4914 on: November 28, 2017, 12:26:53 AM »
I just had a daughter and regrettably named her Wendy, but Belle is a nice name.

Kinda trendy though.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4915 on: November 28, 2017, 12:47:51 AM »
I just had a daughter and regrettably named her Wendy, but Belle is a nice name.

Kinda trendy though.

Not after Emma Watson auto-tuned, girl.

« Reply #4916 on: November 28, 2017, 01:55:58 AM »
Acceptable restaurant names for kids:
Black Angus
Dick's Last Resort (Great for your daughter)
Fatburger
Five Guys
Fuddruckers
Hula Dog

Himu

« Reply #4917 on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
That's it. I'm done. I tried.

Era's staff are cool. I like the idea of the site. But the users - the discussion? It's so bad. Why is it so bad? I have no idea why or how they could remotely hope to try to fix it. I don't want to be rude, but I gotta be real. Everyone is trying to pigeonhole you as this. You said this, therefore you must have really meant that. You can argue it is solely seen in the form of the social justice arguments but really, it's every discussion no matter the topic. It doesn't matter what it is, someone is going to make an ass of themselves and assume something absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged.  It's exhausting.

Thank God we have an aggregate for game news or whatever in the gaming section of Era, though.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4918 on: November 28, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
I need to enroll in a college philosophy class at this point just to relive what it's like to have an actual discussion. I'm starved for a discussion among equals, even when we disagree. Starved. Hit me in my logic vein, daddy. I'm stupid to ever think the internet could ever promote such an environment. I am an absolute fucking moron. :lol
IYKYK

SmokyDave

« Reply #4919 on: November 28, 2017, 03:06:36 AM »
And the ‘oh, fuck off’ factory generates another ‘oh, fuck off’.

You can’t tell those people that they’re anything less than flawless. I’ve noticed people trying lately, but you’ll all be pruned long before you tap into any self-awareness. My favourite ‘real’ comment on Era so far was the post that ended with this beauty:

“The whole unforgiving moral righteousness schtick can survive exactly as long as it takes for someone to realize you aren't perfect, either.”

Won’t work though. They’re perfect, you’re a Nazi. Discussion over.