Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2194701 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #4920 on: November 28, 2017, 03:19:13 AM »
Come on Cindi, the website is fine. It's you who's the problem.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #4921 on: November 28, 2017, 03:43:26 AM »
Guess which incel is giving advice in the "Dates saying things that destroy you"

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1456779/

And who gets destroyed by a comment during a date?  It's more like, "oh you are a fuck, fuck you."  They aren't your GF you waifu heads, they are still just a person you are checking to see if they can keep up with you in intelligence and cultural references.

Come on Cindi, the website is fine. It's you who's the problem.

Yeah, it's all in your head.  You are the crazy one.

The resestera TOS says so.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:50:16 AM by clothedmacuser »
sigh

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4922 on: November 28, 2017, 04:58:00 AM »
Maybe they are too perfect.

« Reply #4923 on: November 28, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
Don't have your own opinions, dont disagree with women on things, pretend you agree with every word they say so you can have sex with them

- Chief wamen respektr Messyfandango

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4924 on: November 28, 2017, 06:21:18 AM »
The Amir0x Rule: The harder you virtue signal and the more abrasive you are about it, the more likely you are to be a criminal deviant
🍆🍆

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #4925 on: November 28, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »
I didn't think he could look even more like a serial killer, but Messofanego's new avatar pic is some next level shit.  Fucking creeper.  Good to see he's still got that winning condescending know it all attitude.  Must be all those first (and only first) dates he's been on that makes him such a world renowned relationship expert.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4926 on: November 28, 2017, 06:39:09 AM »
Guess which incel is giving advice in the "Dates saying things that destroy you"

I mean to be fair look at what he's responding to :

"Ive never seen star wars"
*Then when watching Star Wars shes trying to hook up, like nah girl sit down and watch
"It was boring"

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1455133/

:brazilcry
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4927 on: November 28, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
Is he trying to score points with resetera over turning down a girl over star wars?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #4928 on: November 28, 2017, 06:54:33 AM »
That's it. I'm done. I tried.

You'll be back

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #4929 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »

I just can’t with that avatar of his. It’s like he wants to be a perma-virgin with that haircut.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4930 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
I need to enroll in a college philosophy class at this point just to relive what it's like to have an actual discussion. I'm starved for a discussion among equals, even when we disagree. Starved. Hit me in my logic vein, daddy. I'm stupid to ever think the internet could ever promote such an environment. I am an absolute fucking moron. :lol
Tbh talking philosophy with college freshman seems only marginally more tolerable than attempting to have a serious discussion on gaf

Himu

« Reply #4931 on: November 28, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
I need to enroll in a college philosophy class at this point just to relive what it's like to have an actual discussion. I'm starved for a discussion among equals, even when we disagree. Starved. Hit me in my logic vein, daddy. I'm stupid to ever think the internet could ever promote such an environment. I am an absolute fucking moron. :lol
Tbh talking philosophy with college freshman seems only marginally more tolerable than attempting to have a serious discussion on gaf

Who said anything about college freshmen? I got them philosophy creditz, boi.
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4932 on: November 28, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Whew. My mistake!

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #4933 on: November 28, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
Seems like just yesterday Cindi was bending over for reeeeeee. Now look.  :doge

kingv

« Reply #4934 on: November 28, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »
Messanego or whatever is going to be really ready for dates now that he’s given so much dating advice.

etiolate

« Reply #4935 on: November 28, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
Messanego or whatever is going to be really ready for dates now that he’s given so much dating advice.

He's done a lot of talking to girls online and they've told him everything.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
except yes
[close]

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #4936 on: November 28, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
That's it. I'm done. I tried.

(Image removed from quote.)

Era's staff are cool. I like the idea of the site. But the users - the discussion? It's so bad. Why is it so bad? I have no idea why or how they could remotely hope to try to fix it. I don't want to be rude, but I gotta be real. Everyone is trying to pigeonhole you as this. You said this, therefore you must have really meant that. You can argue it is solely seen in the form of the social justice arguments but really, it's every discussion no matter the topic. It doesn't matter what it is, someone is going to make an ass of themselves and assume something absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged.  It's exhausting.

Thank God we have an aggregate for game news or whatever in the gaming section of Era, though.

Different toilet, same shit  :doge

Himu

« Reply #4937 on: November 28, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »

I never claimed the place is perfect. Still better than gaf.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4938 on: November 28, 2017, 02:00:07 PM »
The Amir0x Rule: The harder you virtue signal and the more abrasive you are about it, the more likely you are to be a criminal deviant
At work we have what we call the "Puppy Rule" (actually it's my real name, but I don't want Benji to dox me) that states that any one that feels the need to tell you they're important or smart are neither.

Same thing here. Anyone that needs to tell you of their virtue isn't virtuous.
que

Himu

« Reply #4939 on: November 28, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
So now the question is: how to create people who care about social justice (like me for instance I guess) without acting like an sjw taco? You can spot the difference. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's in plain sight. But you always spot the difference between an sjw and "someone who cares". How do we get more into that latter group without giving up on social justice in general (also me)? I really want my man PD's idea. I should DM him about this.
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4941 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »
Different toilet, same shit  :doge

ResetEra just found its slogan. 
:success
ど助平

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4942 on: November 28, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »
taco

:stop

SHE SAID taco GET THAT BITCH!

holy shit I know you are upset but please refrain from doxxing yourself.

paprikastaude

« Reply #4943 on: November 28, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »

"Don't call developers lazy" is a dumber rule than anything I remember from GAF even.

Himu

« Reply #4944 on: November 28, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »

"Don't call developers lazy" is a dumber rule than anything I remember from GAF even.

:yeshrug

Makes sense to me. What does it bring to discussion? Some dev releases a game people don't like and it'll be categorized as lazy despite the sheer number of man hours and employees needed to make it. I think that's fair.
IYKYK

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #4945 on: November 28, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
“Whataboutisms” are part of the very nature of counter arguments. Providing a counter example to something is an extremely useful way of pointing out its flaws.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4946 on: November 28, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
I hope if anyone here is having a kid you name it Taco Bell.

Quesa Rita
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4947 on: November 28, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »
So now the question is: how to create people who care about social justice (like me for instance I guess) without acting like an Social Studies Warrior taco? You can spot the difference. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's in plain sight. But you always spot the difference between an Social Studies Warrior and "someone who cares". How do we get more into that latter group without giving up on social justice in general (also me)? I really want my man PD's idea. I should DM him about this.
Treat it like a religion and you'll know what to do (because that's really how these people view it)
que

Himu

« Reply #4948 on: November 28, 2017, 03:01:10 PM »
Does it say you'll be banned for saying "the developers were lazy" or actually explaining why you feel they got lazy? I think there's two different statements here and the one I'm more familiar with is just painting the devs as lazy, no other explanations needed.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4949 on: November 28, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
People should get banned for straight up licking a game's arse as well then. What the fuck does "OMG, this game is so good, you guys." add to a discussion?

Himu

« Reply #4950 on: November 28, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »
Agreed.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4951 on: November 28, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »
Anyways, back to AC Origins I go.

Oh my god, you guys. This game is so good.

agrajag

« Reply #4952 on: November 28, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »
People shouldn't be banned for having opinions.

How do some people make it through irl interactions without a moderator jumping in to ban the other person for wrongthink?

EightBitNate

« Reply #4953 on: November 28, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »
People should get banned for straight up licking a game's arse as well then. What the fuck does "OMG, this game is so good, you guys." add to a discussion?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/anyone-else-feel-like-zelda-botw-is-one-of-the-best-games-they-have-ever-played.7200/

I rolled my eyes when I saw this thread. Game has the eighth highest Metacritic score of all time. What exactly was the point of this thread besides circlejerking?

Himu

« Reply #4954 on: November 28, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
People shouldn't be banned for having opinions.

How do some people make it through irl interactions without a moderator jumping in to ban the other person for wrongthink?

People shouldn't be banned for having opinions. True.

But when you don't make effort into making your opinion and why you have it, then... :yeshrug

Definitely follow the SA line of thinking.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4955 on: November 28, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/anyone-else-feel-like-zelda-botw-is-one-of-the-best-games-they-have-ever-played.7200/

I rolled my eyes when I saw this thread. Game has the eighth highest Metacritic score of all time. What exactly was the point of this thread besides circlejerking?
Zeruda :lawd
Nintendo :rejoice
ResettiEra :holeup
New Juniors :nope

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4956 on: November 28, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »
Nintendo haters need Jesus

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4957 on: November 28, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
Posted on behalf of CurseoftheGods courtesy of the Adopt-A-User program, Gaming Edition.
:neogaf

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4958 on: November 28, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
“Whataboutisms” are part of the very nature of counter arguments. Providing a counter example to something is an extremely useful way of pointing out its flaws.

Any concern or criticism about anything can be shut down as a "whataboutism" at this point.  Same with "disingenuous" and "bad faith."

Tu quoque can be a real fallacy - it's not always something to be dismissed, similar to slippery slope - but the way "whataboutism" is being wielded is several levels removed from that, redefined by the internet as "any time someone brings up a secondary concern that I don't want to hear about right now."
Uncle

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4959 on: November 28, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »
...What? These statements don't have anything to do with one another.

Whataboutisms are distractions meant to discredit your opponent without actually challenging their arguments. Counteraxamples very directly challenge an argument by, well, providing a counter example. Providing counterexamples by way of whataboutisms, as you seems to suggest, is impossible by definition.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4960 on: November 28, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »

At least the bore is better than this.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45268.0

EightBitNate

« Reply #4961 on: November 28, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »
“Whataboutisms” are part of the very nature of counter arguments.

They really arten't;  a whataboutism is supposed to be a specific logical fallacy.  They decided to re-define it as "any argument where you could phrase it as 'what about?'"

Really it's "any argument that we don't like, where you could phrase it as 'what about?'"; which is almost any argument.

...What? These statements don't have anything to do with one another.

Whataboutisms are distractions meant to discredit your opponent without actually challenging their arguments. Counteraxamples very directly challenge an argument by, well, providing a counter example. Providing counterexamples by way of whataboutisms, as you seems to suggest, is impossible by definition.

I've only taken one argumentative writing course so I didn't know it was actually defined as something. I thought it was a new buzzword used to shut down someone who brings up a counter example ("what about x?") as that's the only time people on the internet use it. I guess they've just been using it incorrectly too.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4962 on: November 28, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
I'll admit, I don't really get what "whataboutism" is.  Is it just a form of reductio ad absurdum?
que

EightBitNate

« Reply #4963 on: November 28, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
I'll admit, I don't really get what "whataboutism" is.  Is it just a form of reductio ad absurdum?

I feel like we're not alone.

Edit: I see Mr. ITSTHECURRENTYEAR recently had an episode about it. That explains why it's getting thrown around so much recently.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4964 on: November 28, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »
Whataboutism is excusing your own faults by pointing out someone else's faults. Like when Democrats say "How can you support Roy Moore, he's a pedophile?" and Republicans say "Yeah, but what about Al Franken grabbing that woman's boobs?"
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #4965 on: November 28, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
Or that neogaf is owned by a serial sex pest and everyone is upset about it, but nobody talks about demi’s constant hounding for naked pic PMs from fat bore users while never once responding to nudemacusers PM submissions. 😪
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4966 on: November 28, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »
Whataboutism is excusing your own faults by pointing out someone else's faults. Like when Democrats say "How can you support Roy Moore, he's a pedophile?" and Republicans say "Yeah, but what about Al Franken grabbing that woman's boobs?"
Ah, so it's deflection?
Why not just call it that?

Kids these days. :iface
que

EightBitNate

« Reply #4967 on: November 28, 2017, 04:28:53 PM »

Well I mean, and I implore you not to misconstrue this as me being pro-Roy Moore, it actually is quite relevant that Al Franken also has a history of sexual misconduct. The controversy with Roy Moore is in large part a result of the two party system. The Democrats want to portray Republicans as having a sexual predator problem (which may or may not be true). It shows that the outrage may not be so earnest, and that it may have been blown out of proportion by the left since Al Franken isn't receiving as much pressure from them to step down as Roy Moore was.

I don't necessarily agree with this take, but I think it provides useful background information and changes the weight of each side's arguments. I think you should address the "whataboutism" rather than trying to silence it.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4968 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »
Person 1, 4 years ago: Obama plays golf while the world burns.

Person 2 today: tump has already played more golf in his first year than Obama's 8.

Person 1 today: There we go with the whataboutisms.

It isn't about excusing your faults. It's all about:

©ZH

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4969 on: November 28, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »

Ah, so it's deflection?

pretty sure the term is at least 25 years old and may even go back to Soviet-era Russia.
nat

counterhit

« Reply #4970 on: November 28, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »
uhh I dunno, Paul Joseph Watson is pretty far right dude

What makes him far right as opposed to just right? Seems like everyone and everything just gets called far right if they lean right.

EightBitNate

« Reply #4971 on: November 28, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
uhh I dunno, Paul Joseph Watson is pretty far right dude

What makes him far right as opposed to just right? Seems like everyone and everything just gets called far right if they lean right.

It's the mainstream meteor's fault

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4972 on: November 28, 2017, 04:37:58 PM »
Or that neogaf is owned by a serial sex pest and everyone is upset about it, but nobody talks about demi’s constant hounding for naked pic PMs from fat bore users while never once responding to nudemacusers PM submissions. 😪
yeah well what about amirox? checkmate. :smug

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4973 on: November 28, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »

Ah, so it's deflection?

pretty sure the term is at least 25 years old and may even go back to Soviet-era Russia.

USA: Russia has a terrible human-rights record.
Soviet Union: But you guys are lynching negros.

Is the Wikipedia definition of Whataboutism.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #4974 on: November 28, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »

Ah, so it's deflection?

Lol

This kind of stuff is older than the U.S. Reminds me of Spain's Black Legend.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4975 on: November 28, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
Will all our political problems be solved after old white people die off?
Maybe in about 10 years? Or 20, at the latest? Will political and societal utopia arrive once whites are a minority in this country?

I wonder what politics will be like then? The GOP will be long dead for sure, or at least transformed into a much more moderate centrist party. Once the entire country is controlled by minorities, and we already have single payer and free college and unfettered immigration, what will be the most important political issues left? Will there even be much interest in politics, at all, at that point?

I'm thinking maybe even revoking the 2nd amendment might be possible. One can only dream.
Those old people had kids, so unfortunately, no. Lessened, sure, but it's going to take many generations.
No. Have you met millennials?
Nope, kids and all that.

And they out breed libs by alot

This guy doesn't get it, though:
Yes, because we know virtue is an inherit consequence of skin color, OP. Great job cracking the case. And to think they almost got away with it too.

Good thing we have an expert to chime in.
No, if you have studied any sociology, you will notice that racism, xenophobia and general attitude towards certain things are inherited to some degree. Not genetically or by birth, but by being exposed to their parents over the years. It's true that it's common for children to reject their parents ideology to some degree, but many more choose to believe whatever their parents believe.
每天生气

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4976 on: November 28, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »

I was told you can't even leap of faith from the top of a pyramid, so that game can go fuck itself

how the hell would that even work.
nat

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4977 on: November 28, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
Alt right mods locked without giving a reason.
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4978 on: November 28, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »

Ah, so it's deflection?

And then too it was to be assumed it was in "bad faith". I'm not sure the notion of "whataboutism" is exactly as solid as its historical pedigree may suggest. Anyway it's applied with a broad brush on GafEra to the point that trying to put things in perspective or contrasting is shut down heavily. Which of course helps framing every issue as the WORST THING EVER and the usual histrionics.

"Deflecting" is the better notion. Clearer meaning.
ὕβρις

blaze

« Reply #4979 on: November 28, 2017, 04:58:10 PM »
didn't whataboutism rise from soviet propaganda in the cold war?

late as f. i was on the last page whoops