Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174260 times)

Himu

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #4980 on: November 28, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Example of whataboutism is most things involving Trump's PR.

Let's take the Charlotsville terrorist attack when that asshole ran over protesters.

The president is tasked with making a statement to condemn the white nationalists who did this violence and protested saying very un-American things.

His response: I think there is blame on both sides.

It's a way to deflect responsibility.

IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #4981 on: November 28, 2017, 05:27:28 PM »
Example of whataboutism is most things involving Trump's PR.

Let's take the Charlotsville terrorist attack when that asshole ran over protesters.

The president is tasked with making a statement to condemn the white nationalists who did this violence and protested saying very un-American things.

His response: I think there is blame on both sides.

It's a way to deflect responsibility.

I blame George Lucas.

©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4982 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:14 PM »
"Deflecting" is the better notion. Clearer meaning.
A deflection changes the subject entirely. A whataboutism just discredits an argument by suggesting the arguing person is being hypocritical.
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4983 on: November 28, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
I'll admit, I don't really get what "whataboutism" is.  Is it just a form of reductio ad absurdum?

More like tu quoque. The soviets made it a national sport during the cold war.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #4984 on: November 28, 2017, 05:34:07 PM »
I deployed whataboutism once when i got caught at a bar with another girl.

The other girl i was seeing that caught me brought a friend i knew had cheated many times on her bf, so i made it whatabout sussie? she's a whore!

Surprisingly, it worked.  :success

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4985 on: November 28, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
A deflection changes the subject entirely. A whataboutism just discredits an argument by suggesting the arguing person is being hypocritical.
Given this interpretation then, what's so bad about it? You can't be like "Don't call me out about being a hypocrite!" Seems a disingenuous way to get out of discussing short-comings.

It's one thing to be like, "Hey, you just stole that car!" and then get "Oh yeah? Well remember in 1998 you told my sister she was ugly?" But it's another to say "Yeah, you're driving a stolen car yourself."
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4986 on: November 28, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
Given this interpretation then, what's so bad about it? You can't be like "Don't call me out about being a hypocrite!" Seems a disingenuous way to get out of discussing short-comings.

It's one thing to be like, "Hey, you just stole that car!" and then get "Oh yeah? Well remember in 1998 you told my sister she was ugly?" But it's another to say "Yeah, you're driving a stolen car yourself."

Well, the commies did it. Are you a commie ? Why do you hate freedom ?
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #4987 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
It's fine to point out hypocrisy; but someone else's hypocrisy doesn't excuse someone or something from wrong.  That's the "bad" part of whataboutism, is that it's used to deflect or excuse yourself or whomever you are defending (well, it's not really a real defense, hence the problem.)

Fuck I hate that term.

It's a very useful term that gets misused by certain people. That's all.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #4988 on: November 28, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
It's a logical fallacy because it attacks someone's character through their past actions or beliefs instead of refuting the argument directly. Also what Cindi said.

Personally I think name-dropping logical fallacies during moderation is a bit awkward and stilted.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #4989 on: November 28, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »
Quote from: Cindi Mayweather link=topic=45218.msg2346826#msg2346826
It's a very useful term that gets misused by certain people. That's all.

I just dislike the actual term, not really it's meaning.. I can't help but read "whataboutism" in a sort of know-it-all term in my head lol.

Yeah, I don't like the actual name so I don't use it.
IYKYK

Jansen

« Reply #4990 on: November 28, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »

I was told you can't even leap of faith from the top of a pyramid, so that game can go fuck itself

how the hell would that even work.

exactly my thought as well :rofl

Himu

« Reply #4991 on: November 28, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
WHY do sjws analyze EVERYTHING in the most ridiculous manner?

Some dude just quoted me and said that it was problematic to have women as survivor horror protagonists because you are vulnerable.

Social studies is apt far more than social justice.

Someone please shoot me.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4992 on: November 28, 2017, 06:53:19 PM »
WHY do Social Studies Warriors analyze EVERYTHING in the most ridiculous manner?

Some dude just quoted me and said that it was problematic to have women as survivor horror protagonists because you are vulnerable.

Someone please shoot me.
Advocating violence against women :wag
que

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #4993 on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »
Y’all see the mansplaining post yet?

Jansen

« Reply #4994 on: November 28, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »

I was told you can't even leap of faith from the top of a pyramid, so that game can go fuck itself

How can you dive 1000 feet into a tiny pile of hay in other places in the world? Who gives a shit how it works, if they put a game where I can climb pyramids but I can't do the leap of faith from the top, Ubisoft can go to hell.

:derp

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #4995 on: November 28, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
WHY do Social Studies Warriors analyze EVERYTHING in the most ridiculous manner?

Someone please shoot me.
Advocating violence against women :wag

why does cindi have to be so transphobic? :(

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4996 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
uhh I dunno, Paul Joseph Watson is pretty far right dude

What makes him far right as opposed to just right? Seems like everyone and everything just gets called far right if they lean right.

Fair enough. He was 'far right' in like 2015, but it does seem like that extremist tone is just 'default right' these days

nudemacusers

« Reply #4997 on: November 28, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »
Guys I’m just glad we’re finally off page (((88)))
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #4998 on: November 28, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »

How can you dive 1000 feet into a tiny pile of hay in other places in the world? Who gives a shit how it works, if they put a game where I can climb pyramids but I can't do the leap of faith from the top, Ubisoft can go to hell.

are you actually this much of a dumbass or are you taking the piss?
bent

Pepinappe

• Ass
« Reply #4999 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5000 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1450493/
a couple posts below:
Please don't be a secret sex monster, please don't be a secret sex monster, please don't be a secret sex monster...
they know who Keith Olbermann is right?

benjipwns

« Reply #5001 on: November 28, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/anyone-else-feel-like-zelda-botw-is-one-of-the-best-games-they-have-ever-played.7200/

I rolled my eyes when I saw this thread. Game has the eighth highest Metacritic score of all time. What exactly was the point of this thread besides circlejerking?

At least the bore is better than this.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45268.0
I PROTESTED

benjipwns

« Reply #5002 on: November 28, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
Maybe in about 10 years? Or 20, at the latest? Will political and societal utopia arrive once whites are a minority in this country?

I wonder what politics will be like then? The GOP will be long dead for sure, or at least transformed into a much more moderate centrist party. Once the entire country is controlled by minorities, and we already have single payer and free college and unfettered immigration, what will be the most important political issues left? Will there even be much interest in politics, at all, at that point?

I'm thinking maybe even revoking the 2nd amendment might be possible. One can only dream.
Someone just mainlined the fuck out of some Whig History holy shit. :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #5003 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
maybe you could run up the one side of the pyramid to build up momentum

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #5004 on: November 28, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
Maybe in about 10 years? Or 20, at the latest? Will political and societal utopia arrive once whites are a minority in this country?

I wonder what politics will be like then? The GOP will be long dead for sure, or at least transformed into a much more moderate centrist party. Once the entire country is controlled by minorities, and we already have single payer and free college and unfettered immigration, what will be the most important political issues left? Will there even be much interest in politics, at all, at that point?

I'm thinking maybe even revoking the 2nd amendment might be possible. One can only dream.
Someone just mainlined the fuck out of some Whig History holy shit. :dead
Holy shit  :whoo

where's the thread that's in?

Himu

« Reply #5005 on: November 28, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Don't AC games have capes where you can fly now or am I getting them mixed up with the superior batman games?
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #5006 on: November 28, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »

there probably hasn't been a sex monster like Keith Olbermann since Kurt Cobain
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #5007 on: November 28, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
the funny part would still be your body hitting the pyramid and ragdolling downward slowly, especially if it was like GTA IV and you'd get stuck in the animation and just roll down the stairs with no ability to stop yourself until you hit the bottom and the Euphoria animation turned off

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i warned you about the pyramids bro
[close]

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #5008 on: November 28, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
Don't AC games have capes where you can fly now or am I getting them mixed up with the superior batman games?

That last Arkham game was utter ass.
serge

Pepinappe

• Ass
« Reply #5009 on: November 28, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
Or maybe you can jump off the top of the pyramid, pull out some sort of glider Zelda-style, then leap of faith from there.

Then we'll have another gazillion threads saying how Zelda has inspired AC: O, triggering people.  :delicious

thetylerrob

« Reply #5010 on: November 28, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

One thing AC series is known for is its respect for physics and laws of nature. It's a fucking video game, nerds. Doing the leap of faith off the pyramids would be awesome.
You can't sustain a vertical fall off of the top of a pyramid you fuckinggggg  :trigger :trigger :trigger :trigger :drudge idiot head :drudge :trigger :trigger :trigger

benjipwns

« Reply #5011 on: November 28, 2017, 08:57:03 PM »
there probably hasn't been a sex monster like Keith Olbermann since Kurt Cobain
i guess technically he wouldn't be a "secret" monster at this point

shosta

« Reply #5012 on: November 28, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

Wow, top of the page. I'm so honored to be here. I'd like to thank my mom, benjipwns, Cerium, Stumpokapow, 8BitNate's sister, Gretel's brother, and the guy who threw the piss onto Amir0x.
每天生气

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #5013 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
:what
reckt

shosta

« Reply #5014 on: November 28, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
 Fuck. Did NeoGAF kill its hall of fame threads? I can't find the one where that game dev or Sony junior exec PM'd a guy to ask what he'd accomplished in his life.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #5015 on: November 28, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »

That last Arkham game was utter ass.

Haven't played it. That series is the perfect example that bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. Haven't played one since Arkham City, which owns.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5016 on: November 28, 2017, 09:19:24 PM »
I hope if anyone here is having a kid you name it Taco Bell.

Quesa Rita

If I ever have kids, I was thinking of naming my daughter Rita actually. (you probably already know why :uguu)
^_^

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #5017 on: November 28, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
Arkham Knight wasn't ass. It just had awful tank battles is all.
reckt

TVC15

« Reply #5018 on: November 28, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »

They are the sole bad part and ruin the entire game for me. Way too frequent.
serge

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #5019 on: November 28, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »
When they incorporated the tank into the puzzles  :iface

TVC15

« Reply #5020 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:13 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1497601/

Jack come home. You goin’ crazy.
serge

Rahxephon91

« Reply #5021 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
Yeah it's not like that awful part takes up 20% of the game. To the extent that you fight Deathstroke in a tank. It felt like you did more tank fighting than actual hand to hand fighting.

But yeah I guess they were the only bad part. Not the hilariously terrible story, extreme lack of boss battles, lame side content, and over focus on the batmobile.

Game was crap outside of it's graphics/production values and insane presentation.

daemon

« Reply #5022 on: November 28, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/1497780/

I like how puritan this reeesetter is, with hentai faces of ahegao as profile picture (he updated it with an even more stupid looking one), which is essentially turning the woman into a lewd-driven sex-slave asking for dick and semen.

link to the exact henta (obviously NSFW)i:

Bestiality and rape on all the holes and liking it. Truly the defender of women we need.

The award for "gross and stupid" goes for him, and I guess since i'm never personally gonna meet him it's quite alright to think he's a disgusting piece of weeabo crap. I mean, that's totally fine, right?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:05:09 PM by daemon »

parallax

« Reply #5023 on: November 28, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »
Fuck. Did NeoGAF kill its hall of fame threads? I can't find the one where that game dev or Sony junior exec PM'd a guy to ask what he'd accomplished in his life.

the jeff bell thread?

shosta

« Reply #5024 on: November 28, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »

the jeff bell thread?
That's the one. I'm not logged in but there doesn't seem to be a graveyard forum anymore.
每天生气

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #5026 on: November 28, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »

the jeff bell thread?
That's the one. I'm not logged in but there doesn't seem to be a graveyard forum anymore.
And your contribution to society is ... what?

TVC15

« Reply #5027 on: November 28, 2017, 10:11:14 PM »

I like how puritan this reeesetter is, with hentai faces of ahegao as profile picture (he updated it with an even more stupid looking one), which is essentially turning the woman into a lewd-driven sex-slave asking for dick and semen.

Bestiality and rape on all the holes and liking it. Truly the defender of women we need.

The award for "gross and stupid" goes for him, and I guess since i'm never personally gonna meet him it's quite alright to think he's a disgusting piece of weeabo crap. I mean, that's totally fine, right?

Certainly looks like something from a forum Cindi would be into.

:nsfw  :nsfw  :nsfw
[close]
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #5028 on: November 28, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »

I think you mean award for new contender for ResetEra slogan:

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5029 on: November 28, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
And your contribution to society is ... what?
masturbating a world record amount of times

benjipwns

« Reply #5030 on: November 28, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
GODDAMMIT TVC

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5031 on: November 28, 2017, 10:14:36 PM »
I havent seen an hentai since those late night sci fi channel soft hentais as a teen

daemon

« Reply #5032 on: November 28, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »

I think you mean award for new contender for ResetEra slogan:

Psh, you're wrong, this is the contender

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5033 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
 :gladbron :kobeyuck :whoo :playa :goldberg :ryker :delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #5034 on: November 28, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »
more real heroes:
Olly Smith
(@OllyWrites)
*sees Angela Lansbury is trending* "OH NO SHE BETTER NOT BE DEAD" "oh wait it's worse"
16 hours ago · Twitter

Brohibition Now
(@OhNoSheTwitnt)
[sees Angela Lansbury trending] Oh my god, did she die??? [sees why Angela Lansbury is trending] Ok, so as far as I’m concerned, yes she did.
15 hours ago · Twitter

Dr Fern Riddell
(@FernRiddell)
Angela Lansbury, star of the 1944 version of Gaslight, which gave us the term ‘Gaslighting’, has just declared that attractive women share the blame for sexual harassment.
15 hours ago · Twitter
wow that was one hell of a long con gaslight attempt on women

also shout out to Calbot Cove's Dr. Seth Hazlitt for his part in covering up Jessica Fletcher's murderous rampage through a town of 3000 people

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5035 on: November 28, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7092185&postcount=1

?

thetylerrob

« Reply #5036 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
I've never consumed any media. Be the change you want to see sheeple

agrajag

« Reply #5037 on: November 28, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »

Because often you're wading into ad hominem territory. You're using someone's hypocrisy to discredit them as  a person, and that's a fallacy in debate. I don't see what's wrong with pointing out someone's hypocrisy conversationally though, or why vidya game forums must be treated as formal debate..

shosta

« Reply #5038 on: November 28, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
I was looking for the Jeff Bell stuff and spotted this classic.

Edge Magazine: Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda

Adam Orth’s apparent departure from Microsoft last night might just be NeoGAF’s defining moment, for better or worse.

In Orth’s sad tale we can see The NeoGAF Effect in action. It is a videogame forum with a voracious appetite, its members perpetually scouring the web for fresh information. It has unearthed countless news stories over the years; news stories that the games media is all too happy to pick up and run with. It was once described to us years ago by a contemporary in the business as their ‘secret weapon’ – a crowdsourced goldmine of news that other outlets might not have picked up on just yet.

Times have changed. NeoGAF is becoming more conspicuous and influential with every controversy it fuels, and every leaked screenshot it houses. It spotted Orth’s tweets, dissected them, and brought them to the games media’s attention, prompting an apology and now, apparently, has played its part in someone actually losing their job.

There’s little sympathy for Orth on NeoGAF. We ask its founder Tyler Malka if he worries about just how far NeoGAF’s members go in pursuing individuals in the games business. “If detective work strays into the realm of revealing personal information or facilitating potential for harassment, it is dealt with appropriately,” he tells us. “Holding the spotlight to asinine comments doesn’t constitute harassment, nor do harsh characterizations. The NeoGAF userbase is not a uniform entity; at the times when thousands of voices align on one position, however, we can often see a tangible result.

That’s putting it lightly. Previous ‘tangible results’ of NeoGAF’s hivemind in action are legion, but Malka describes the 2007 incident involving Jeff Bell as NeoGAF’s watershed moment. Bell sent a private message to NeoGAF user a Master Ninja, responding to his criticisms with the legend: “And your contribution to society is…what?”

Malka describes NeoGAF as his life’s work. He joined the community when he was fourteen, took it over when he was 19 and has been running it as a full-time job since 2006. He is now 28, and tells us that he has turned down seven-figure offers from large corporations and gaming networks to buy his site.

NeoGAF might be seen by some as a lawless playground for harder-than hardcore games enthusiasts, but that’s not the case, Malka contends. “We have strict rules about user behaviour, strict rules against bigotry and discourse that resembles Youtube comments, and the enforcement of these rules is backed by the difficulty in obtaining an account,” he tells us.

"When I travelled to Europe last year for four months, I met up with dozens of NeoGAF members, and stayed at the home of two NeoGAF members in Switzerland,” says Malka. “They met each other thanks to the site a few years prior, and she moved from the United States over there and got married. We’ve had several other marriages under similar circumstances.”

Perhaps it’s little wonder – when it digs up stories, as it has with the Orth furore, it is setting the news agenda, and beating the media at its own game. Malka is absolutely right when he tells us that “crowdsourced investigation and fact-checking can be extraordinarily potent tools” – it is the reason his community finds screens posted on obscure Russian forums first, and unearths references to next-gen games on LinkedIn before news sites can.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #5039 on: November 28, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure Cream is a troll.