Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2194046 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #7680 on: December 27, 2017, 01:25:12 AM »
Quote from: Karsticles
I like the direction you are going in. We probably need more categories, but it's an improvement over "I like it so it's good" and "I don't like it so it's bad".

:confused
Before the ResetEra character graph, Humanity was in primitive shambles, unable to communicate anything more than grunts of acceptance and disapproval...
ὕβρις

agrajag

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #7681 on: December 27, 2017, 01:47:53 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-lord-of-the-rings-1-is-not-a-good-movie.12809/

Fuck this dude with a 12 ft log. Yeah, it's not a good movie, it's a great fucking movie.

tuna_love

« Reply #7682 on: December 27, 2017, 02:01:10 AM »
Now, when it comes to videogames, I feel like they surpassed what the Lord of the Rings is trying to do.
I like grey area in my media from the morality perspective. I really feel that Witcher 3 surpasses LOTR in every conceivable way. I know that it's an unfair comparison, but two are not even close for me.
:kobeyuck

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

agrajag

« Reply #7684 on: December 27, 2017, 02:05:10 AM »
I like both.

Resetters just mad that Tolkien was an Elven warrior not a Social Studies Warrior.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7685 on: December 27, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »

Cindi, why do you bother posting on RE?  You're just going to end up banned (again). 

I post on Reset Era because there are some things the Bore just ain't good at, like game discussion. Over here we mostly don't take games seriously, which is well and good but when I wanna discuss a games material or content in an actual serious manner, it's not so good. So I can make a write up on Chrono Cross and have a decent discussion. I also post because I find my positions legitimate and see no reason why I should be scared of expressing them. I don't really post much. I just post when I feel like it. After the Christian thread I made I kind of just take it for what it is. I've tried blogging but don't have anyone to exchange ideas with, and it feels like a tortuous black hole. I could try SA but SA isn't about that "make that random topic and talk about it" kind of thing. If you have any alternatives, I'd be pleased to read them because I'm sure the people of Reset would glad to be spared my presence.

I guess I could try Reddit. IDK. There are just certain things Discord and the like aren't good at that keep boards relevant to me. I guess I try my hand at blogging and then posting the links to Reddit instead. I could try pasting my Chrono Cross write up, putting it on Medium, and posting it r/truegaming.

Like I have some fun ideas for stuff I want to write. Like forgotten/unknown Japanese exclusive games like Ganbare Goemon 4 and stuff. Maybe I don't think need to leave forums entirely and just move to something more my style like hardcoregaming101.

Rman addressed the gaming side stuff pretty well, but I guess I should have elaborated.  I don't mean the video game stuff (well, the stuff that isn't marred by SJW garbage), but the OT-type stuff. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7686 on: December 27, 2017, 07:57:37 AM »
:goldberg
Quote from: resident_UA, post: 2539553, member: 9350
And for the first 45 minutes to an hour I was totally on board when it seemed like the movie was self aware, but then for some weird reason they decided to take the plot waaaaay too seriously. I mean you need a videogame level of suspension of disbelief to get through the last hour and a half of the movie.
Quote from: resident_UA, post: 2539553, member: 9350
Now, when it comes to videogames, I feel like they surpassed what the Lord of the Rings is trying to do.

:dunno
ど助平

nudemacusers

« Reply #7687 on: December 27, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
+ Walter white avatar. :trash taste level tbh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7688 on: December 27, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Was a pretty good show but that really was the Rick and Morty of its time huh

Walter White heads with his dumb hat all over the place
Uncle

paprikastaude

« Reply #7689 on: December 27, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
BB is still rocking with Better Call Saul being the best show running currently.  ;)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7690 on: December 27, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-character-designs-from-2017.12805/

I like that characters from the worst of 2017 thread are here.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7691 on: December 27, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/dumbest-character-designs-from-2017.12685/page-19

:expert :expert :expert

Quote from: Treasure Silvergun, post: 2512402, member: 35292
Hahaha, Xenoblade 2 is dominating this thread.
There's plenty of reasons for that, of course.

This doesn't keep me from playing and enjoying the game, luckily. And Xenoblade 2's artstyle makes those designs, if not less awkward, at least coherent and not totally distracting. Had those characters been rendered in an artstyle like those of Xenosaga II or Star Ocean 4, I couldn't stand them as well. But with the cartoony style they chose for the game, the designs are so busy I barely spend the time to appreciate them in their full ludicrousness, and they don't stand out too much.

It's amazing how, no matter how much of a commotion blows up when a western character design apparently crosses some not-universally-agreed-upon line of decency, there will always be at least one Japanese design that will steal its cake as the current year's choice for dumbest/most ridiculous/most offensive.

Just let me say this though, people genuinely afraid to be caught playing those games probably don't have a good grasp of Japanese visual culture and design themselves. I am not disturbed by those designs, and if someone sees those onscreen while I'm playing and doesn't immediately freak out, maybe an interesting conversation may ensue. Yep, I'd still be a fella who plays games with bizarre-looking... things in them, but we could have a laugh about it together instead of both having to feel awkward and embarrassed over a fictional character. To me, it's not much the design itself but what the characters do. I'de be embarrassed myself if I had to share that scene with the girl kissing Sonic with someone else, believe me.

Quote from: staedtler, post: 2526713, member: 4856
Let me guess, you're an expert?

Quote from: Treasure Silvergun, post: 2544545, member: 35292
Listen. If someone is literally embarrassed to play a Japanese game with those designs in 2017, chances are that person doesn't play many Japanese games in the first place, and hasn't for quite some time - if ever. The kind of design we're making fun of here was already gaining ground in the PS2 era. Darlings like FFX and God Hand already featured designs that could easily steal the show in this sort of competition we're having in this thread, yet Lulu's idiotic outfit in FFX didn't exactly keep people from playing and appreciating the game a great lot.

Things have only escalated from there, and today this kind of design is basically a staple of Japanese games, not only JRPGs. Exceptions are fewer and fewer, and it's usually those games that lots of Westerners wouldn't play anyway for a number of reasons (eg "Nintendo games" as a category, smaller/indie games, etc). So I have a hard time believing most people who keep complaining about those designs - and apparently keep an archive of such images just to participate in these threads - actually play Japanese games outside of a couple big titles a year - which probably have some problematic design themselves: see Nier Automata, Bayonetta and the likes.

So yeah, in 2017 it should be crystal clear that the designs we're discussing here are widespread in Japanese games, and that they're widespread for well-known reasons.
You may not appreciate the designs, nor the reasons behind them, and you're free to criticize them and not play the games.
But a lot of people seem to think that those designs are made just to spite them, or that they're the spawn of some collective mental issue the Japanese have and that they should snap out of in order to make better games and be a better society in general. It's like people who've never lived in Italy and just can't understand how in the seven pits of Hell the country can go on like it does with their politics and economics. The thing is, you don't live there, so you may find these things strange, or outright bad. But where they come from, they not only work: they're part of the culture.

So if someone keeps complaining so vehemently about these designs, and if they can't bring themselves to play the games and actually feel embarrassed at the thought of being seen playing them, then they still haven't come to terms with the fact that this is Japanese games in 2017, and it's not something that came out of nowhere. If you've played a bunch of those games, you should know what to expect, and stuff like Xenoblade 2 shouldn't be so fantastically egregious except for those who only see pics of Japanese games, but don't play them.

I'd expect someone with a Yoko Taro avatar to understand this and not resort to drive-by "oh boy"ing.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7692 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
Quote from: Karsticles
I like the direction you are going in. We probably need more categories, but it's an improvement over "I like it so it's good" and "I don't like it so it's bad".

:confused
Before the ResetEra character graph, Humanity was in primitive shambles, unable to communicate anything more than grunts of acceptance and disapproval...
It's Karsticles. He can barely communicate with other humans as it is.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #7693 on: December 27, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »

lol, why has era so goddamn many character design threads

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #7694 on: December 27, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
Oh I would love to see a God Hand rerelease just to see how they react to that game’s depiction of women.

Actually I would just love to see a God Hand rerelease in general.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7695 on: December 27, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Mr Gold and Mr Silver are the best gay characters. The ballbuster doesn't work on one of the two cause he lost his balls in the war.

paprikastaude

« Reply #7696 on: December 27, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
The only good thing about God Hand's commercial failure is that Mikami was spared the social studies outrage. Kicking midgets in the face, slapping women to the moon, over the top gay characters and mexicans. This would be a goldmine for certain people that have long turned their irony-meters off :doge

Horizon characters are so fucking hideous.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7697 on: December 27, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
You meant beautiful and brave.

paprikastaude

« Reply #7698 on: December 27, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
uneducated people who want to shut down arguments with "objectively better"  :stop (alternatively: people who are too stupid to look up a dictionary)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7699 on: December 27, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
Objectively is the new literally

Objectively true.

Clockwork5

« Reply #7700 on: December 27, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/honor-thu-slayven-take-two-boogaloo.12539/

Oh mighty one, please bless us with your shitty childrens book opinions.

:preach

Incorrect spelling
Truly a slayven thread
:aweshum

Jansen

« Reply #7701 on: December 27, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
Is Krejooc lying about working on VR R&D?

What makes you say that? Not that it would surprise me.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #7702 on: December 27, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »

objectively shaking rn
rub

Pills Here

« Reply #7703 on: December 27, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Uuuuhhhh

https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundrys-best-gaming-tech-of-2017.12861/

Digital Foundry's Best Gaming Tech of 2017

Keep in mind it’s more of a personal list and not a collection of AAA games. It also doesn’t include patched enhanced games - so something like Gears 4 wouldn’t be included.

Lastly, it’s limited by what I’ve played. I have not touched Battlefront 2 so it wouldn’t be here.

It’s ultimatey just a list for fun - not some amazing award or anything. It’s about things that interested me and the other guys from a tech perspective.

So...don’t get too angry that stuff like GT Sport, Uncharted and Battlefront 2 aren’t on the list. That’s what I’m saying.

Dark1x is such a shady cunt.

Leadbelly

« Reply #7704 on: December 27, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »

Talk about objectivity.
Spout some postmodern nonsense.
Don't see the irony.

Jansen

« Reply #7705 on: December 27, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »
yeah more than the glasses stuff i think the 24/7 posting points to him either being jobless or working as a bored security guard

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7706 on: December 27, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
Horizon characters are so fucking hideous.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The lead character I was convinced for the longest time was a man...  :P
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7707 on: December 27, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-lord-of-the-rings-1-is-not-a-good-movie.12809/

Fuck this dude with a 12 ft log. Yeah, it's not a good movie, it's a great fucking movie.

Quoting for the new page. :lawd
©@©™

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #7708 on: December 27, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »
All the design threads just feel like a meta war

"Let me make this thread to tell everyone how much I hate this design"

"I can't believe he hates that design, let me make a thread to tell everyone how much I love this design"

"I cant believe he loves that design, let me make a thread to tell everyone...."

Leadbelly

« Reply #7709 on: December 27, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »
I reckon someone should post this:

Then mention how the proportions are just perfect, especially from that angle.

paprikastaude

« Reply #7710 on: December 27, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
All the design threads just feel like a meta war

"Let me make this thread to tell everyone how much I hate this design"

"I can't believe he hates that design, let me make a thread to tell everyone how much I love this design"

"I cant believe he loves that design, let me make a thread to tell everyone...."

It's hilariously passive aggressive. You can just feel how either side just wants to scream either "TAKE THAT, YOU PRUDE" or "YOU DISGUSTING SEXIST".

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7711 on: December 27, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
I think lotr is bad and uncool. Tried to watch that shit once but kept falling asleep. Fantasy stuff in general is trash though.

etiolate

agrajag

« Reply #7713 on: December 27, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »
The problem with Navalny while he is strongest opposition to Putin and still alive is that he is a racist nationalist and would be bad for minorities (specifically those that follow Islam) for his hatred of it.

There is better opposition in Russia that is fighting hard every day for democracy but it's really difficult due to the Kremlin's control. Navalny has a very big following though, the largest threat Putin has ever faced. However Navalny is no democrat but a populist for change, he has sympathised with neo nazis in Russia too, and unfortunately the youth that support him don't care as long as Putin is out which is their main concern.

Navalny wants to stop things like Muslims celebrating Eid on the Moscow streets (which hundreds of thousands of Muslims in Russia do). Russia has a very large Muslim population from various ethnic groups and it would be bad for them with Navalny in power. He wouldn't tolerate this if he was in power:

He's making a great argument for Navalny. Hundreds of thousands of religious people blocking off streets, stopping traffic, impeding others in their daily routines, etc. sounds like a pain in the ass. I would be highly annoyed if this happened in my city.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7714 on: December 27, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »
Is Krejooc lying about working on VR R&D?

No, AFAIK.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7716 on: December 27, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
I also got into a protection racket with a few people who had unlocked their jedi. At that time, it was insanely hard to get a jedi and they could be hunted down by other players who were Bounty Hunters, leading to perma-death or huge XP penalties. The catch was that only a couple of Bounty Hunters could have the same jedi's mission. So, I log in with Bounty Hunter accounts and grab the missions so that other Bounty Hunters couldn't. You could then hang onto those missions until the server restarted. Effectively, the jedi could then go about their grind without worrying about Bounty Hunters. I was charging $25 a day per jedi "protected" for about 15 mins worth of work every week or so. Like I said - best job I ever had.

:larry
ὕβρις

Jansen

« Reply #7717 on: December 27, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
Quote from: TheMadTitan
Only life changing thing was an improvement to my vocabulary thanks to RPGs and me learning about nukes from Metal Gear Solid.

And driving in Grand Theft Auto made the transition to real life driving easier, I'm sure.

Only life changing thing was an improvement to my vocabulary thanks to RPGs and me learning about nukes from Metal Gear Solid

learning about nukes from Metal Gear Solid.

:picard

Tasty

« Reply #7718 on: December 27, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
I like grey area in my media from the morality perspective. I really feel that Witcher 3 surpasses LOTR in every conceivable way. I know that it's an unfair comparison, but two are not even close for me.

Sounds like Cindi tbh.

tuna_love

« Reply #7721 on: December 27, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-genuinely-fallen-in-love-with-a-character.12942/

:what
Please note, honesty in this thread should be not only respected but applauded because I know some may feel a bit embarrassed to admit if they do or ever did fall in love with a character.
:salute

Himu

« Reply #7722 on: December 27, 2017, 08:08:36 PM »

Sounds like Cindi tbh.

Fuck you. I can't stand vidya that aren't arcade/fighting games. Fuck you!  >:( I'm actually mad at you rn. Asshole. Even if it was a joke.  :gurl
IYKYK

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7724 on: December 27, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »

Nah, the entire trilogy is boring AF. I think i fell asleep during every single one of them.

EDIt: and this has nothing to do with me trying to be a contrarian. I've gotten that when i've said LOTR trilogy blew ass. It did. I can respect it from a technical standpoint, a visual standpoint but Peter Jackson has always been overhyped. All his movies were mediocre. LOTR is no different.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:57:21 PM by Assimilate »

Boredfrom

« Reply #7725 on: December 27, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-character-designs-from-2017.12805/page-6#post-2550297

Video games right now are nothing more than toys meant to make money though, with very few exceptions. Let's not act like it would be in the same caliber as films or literature if it didn't have some sexy characters lol

Real talk. Striving to be film or literature when you're a different medium is stupid anyway.

And this year kind of shows that the film industry can be more toxic, sexist  and a  collection of dumb  corporate decisions than the game industry is accused to be

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7726 on: December 27, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #7727 on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Toxic is the worst word of the year.
IYKYK

tuna_love

« Reply #7728 on: December 27, 2017, 09:42:12 PM »
i vote for yikes

Himu

« Reply #7729 on: December 27, 2017, 09:49:24 PM »
i'm hecking serious, tuna. heck.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7730 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
You would think at a certain point you would have a little self-awareness and realize how often you parrot all the buzzwords, and look for another way to word it just to stop repeating yourself so often and sounding like a moron.

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
milkshake duck
whataboutism
Uncle

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7731 on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »
Optics :trigger

Himu

« Reply #7732 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:59 PM »
You would think at a certain point you would have a little self-awareness and realize how often you parrot all the buzzwords, and look for another way to word it just to stop repeating yourself so often and sounding like a moron.

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
cheeseburger shark
whataboutism

what about problematic?
IYKYK

Dennis

« Reply #7733 on: December 27, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
cheeseburger shark
whataboutism

The optics look bad on this.

bdoughty

« Reply #7734 on: December 27, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
i vote for yikes

Gross.

LOTR - Gross
Star Wars - Gross
Anime - Amirox level of Gross

British TV Shows (especially Drama, Time Period and Detective) - GOAT

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:27:48 PM by bdoughty »

Clockwork5

« Reply #7735 on: December 27, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
2017 needed more air horn.

That was one of my favorite parts of '16

Rise

« Reply #7736 on: December 27, 2017, 10:36:24 PM »

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
cheeseburger shark
whataboutism
hill to die on

nudemacusers

« Reply #7737 on: December 27, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-genuinely-fallen-in-love-with-a-character.12942/

:what
This thread is both hilarious and cancer. Lmao @ the posters itt trying to be supportive and normalize this insanity :trash
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #7738 on: December 27, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
cheeseburger shark
whataboutism

The optics look bad on this.

Listen, you all need to stop gaslighting me with these problematic posts made in bad faith. Frankly, you all are starting to sound like Russian trolls with your disingenuous defense of literal Nazis. This thread is becoming so gross, I can't even. Is that really the hill y'all want to die on? If you are going to keep pushing your "both sides" Bernie-bro whataboutisms, you're gonna need to show some receipts, otherwise it's just bad optics. The bore is the cheeseburger shark of 2017.

nudemacusers

« Reply #7739 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:33 PM »
I am not a "cool" person. I am not above attraction to fictional characters. And I honestly don't relate to anyone on this community or anywhere who acts as though they are above this or doesn't develop these feelings.

I feel almost like there is a peer pressure on some sites like this one to not openly feel this way, which I don't get at all. I don't think that being eccentric is something to be ashamed of, nor do I think that being attracted to fictional or even cartoonish characters is something at all unusual. I encourage people to be open minded to deviance in general, as long as something at all isn't hurting anyone or reflects any kind of desire to do harm, then it should be accepted and tolerated. That includes the whole "waifu" and "husbando" thing that some internet communities frown upon. Some even become downright bullying about.

Jfc  :heh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽