Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174764 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #7740 on: December 27, 2017, 11:47:05 PM »
I think you are a very cool person, nudemacusers

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #7741 on: December 27, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-lord-of-the-rings-1-is-not-a-good-movie.12809/

Fuck this dude with a 12 ft log. Yeah, it's not a good movie, it's a great fucking movie.

Nah, the entire trilogy is boring AF.

Flat out, no.

I can understand not liking it. But "boring" isn't a good substitute for "it wasn't for me." It condenses a 1,000 page book into 12 (or 6 if you don't have the extended editions) movie/film. And the film is way more solid than the book, IMO.

agrajag

« Reply #7742 on: December 28, 2017, 12:04:57 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-lord-of-the-rings-1-is-not-a-good-movie.12809/

Fuck this dude with a 12 ft log. Yeah, it's not a good movie, it's a great fucking movie.

Flat out, no.

I can understand not liking it. But "boring" isn't a good substitute for "it wasn't for me." It condenses a 1,000 page book into 12 (or 6 if you don't have the extended editions) movie/film.

I was with you until

And the film is way more solid than the book, IMO.

fuck you too timu

El Babua

« Reply #7743 on: December 28, 2017, 12:08:22 AM »
The movies are great, but never came close to matching what Tolkein-Sama expressed in his work.

nudemacusers

« Reply #7744 on: December 28, 2017, 12:08:34 AM »
The books are great if you collected monster manuals for tabletop role playing games and created a geocities index (in the form of html tables with web ring links at the bottom) for crpgs you played when you were a kid.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #7745 on: December 28, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »
I only really like the first movie a lot. The other ones have decent moments, but a lot of Peter Jackson fuckery. The first one mostly sticks to the script with minimal Peter Jackson fuckery.

nudemacusers

« Reply #7746 on: December 28, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »
Now look at me!  :success

:mjcry
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

tuna_love

« Reply #7747 on: December 28, 2017, 12:20:28 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bbc-comedy-chinese-burn-gets-burned-in-the-review-for-being-racist-and-sexist.12870/
Why did she put a ping pong ball in her vagina???
Apparently it’s a stereotype that Asian women can shoot inserted ping pong balls out of their vaginas? Never heard of it myself.
I vaugely remember coming across it once in some raunchy comedy movie a long time ago.
:rollsafe

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #7748 on: December 28, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
serge

Hot Slice

« Reply #7749 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:11 AM »
Good lord what a week...

Sai

« Reply #7750 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:33 AM »

Flat out, no.

I can understand not liking it. But "boring" isn't a good substitute for "it wasn't for me." It condenses a 1,000 page book into 12 (or 6 if you don't have the extended editions) movie/film. And the film is way more solid than the book, IMO.

yeah you sound distinguished mentally-challenged sorry
ilysm

Himu

« Reply #7751 on: December 28, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »
I haven't read LOTR since I was a teenager and it bored me to death then. I've been really wanting to re-read them to gain a possibly new appreciation.
IYKYK

daemon

« Reply #7752 on: December 28, 2017, 01:08:55 AM »
I haven't read LOTR since I was a teenager and it bored me to death then. I've been really wanting to re-read them to gain a possibly new appreciation.

I don't like the way Tolkien can spend 5 pages explaining with utmost detail the shape and colors of a forest leaves. It was extremely boring to read and dropped it because of that aspect.

Jansen

« Reply #7753 on: December 28, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »
assimilate you are such a dumb bastard whose alt are you?

etiolate

« Reply #7754 on: December 28, 2017, 01:20:29 AM »
Tolkien is not an easy read.

agrajag

« Reply #7755 on: December 28, 2017, 01:24:15 AM »
smh at all this Tolkien hate.

peace, y'all. i'm out. i didn't get in it for this.

TVC15

« Reply #7756 on: December 28, 2017, 01:34:22 AM »
I’d rather have to attend my brother’s funeral again than have to read Tolkien.
serge

tuna_love

« Reply #7757 on: December 28, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »
yikes

Himu

« Reply #7758 on: December 28, 2017, 02:15:51 AM »

I don't like the way Tolkien can spend 5 pages explaining with utmost detail the shape and colors of a forest leaves. It was extremely boring to read and dropped it because of that aspect.

Yeah I fucking hated that too. ASOIAF > LOTR imo

But I read the LOTR books as a teen so maybe I just had less patience for it then. So I really wanna give it another shot. The Hobbit is REALLY good though. I have no idea what happened going from Hobbit (a brisk, fun read) to LOTR (the forward of The Princess Bride comes to mind).
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #7759 on: December 28, 2017, 02:36:33 AM »
list off the worst terms of 2017 in the gaf thread and neglect to mention milkshake duck brehs

tuna_love

« Reply #7760 on: December 28, 2017, 03:06:44 AM »
the hobbit book was so good

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7761 on: December 28, 2017, 03:32:41 AM »
If you think the LOTR books are boring and just a string of 5 pages long description of trees, you evidently haven't read anything past the first 50 pages :lol

Too manny wurds where are mah comic books  :derp

TVC15

« Reply #7762 on: December 28, 2017, 03:42:49 AM »
If you think the LOTR books are boring and just a string of 5 pages long description of trees, you evidently haven't read anything past the first 50 pages :lol

Too manny wurds where are mah comic books  :derp

For real, I’d rather read Ayn Rand at her worst than Tolkien.
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7763 on: December 28, 2017, 04:06:21 AM »
Well at least that thread gave us that gif :lol

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2571566/
ὕβρις

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #7764 on: December 28, 2017, 04:10:39 AM »
Figures that all the old people would start a book club in this thread eventually.  :doge

bdoughty

« Reply #7765 on: December 28, 2017, 04:16:26 AM »
Well at least that thread gave us that gif :lol

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2571566/

Animal cruelty.

Edit: Had to tweak the gif.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:28:14 AM by bdoughty »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7766 on: December 28, 2017, 04:20:15 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/2554163/

:)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:)
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7767 on: December 28, 2017, 04:29:17 AM »
:^) is a billion times worse since its use picked up in gaming spaces by mostly gamergaters.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #7768 on: December 28, 2017, 05:12:22 AM »
I thought I was the only person who uses :^), oh I'm a gamergator now? lol okay sure let's go with that.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7769 on: December 28, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »

Yeah I fucking hated that too. ASOIAF > LOTR imo

But I read the LOTR books as a teen so maybe I just had less patience for it then. So I really wanna give it another shot. The Hobbit is REALLY good though. I have no idea what happened going from Hobbit (a brisk, fun read) to LOTR (the forward of The Princess Bride comes to mind).

I like LOTR but I actually agree, the Hobbit is a book I can pick up and flip through and start reading a random page, and end up engaged and find myself actually reading it.  The other books are real slow.  Fellowship is probably the best one but when you get to Lothlorien your eyes glaze over with the aforementioned leaf descriptions.  Two Towers Frodo and Sam sections are the worst and slowest part of all of them.  Tolkien's like "ok I spent half a book on the decent adventures of these cool people, now I have to give equal time to a couple schlubs walking through grey badlands."
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7770 on: December 28, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/2554173/

How about you go fuck yourself, comrade?

:badass

Well, that's it. We've reached peak irony.

Another one for "worst expression used on GAFERA in 2017" I guess.

CIA should set something up and brief Trump. See if that information is passed on to the Russians.

:expert

We live in such a weird time that the Russians are giving orders and ultimatums to the Americans. Truly Putin's lapdog.

:what

State Department should reply: "Let us know when you're going to have one and we'll consider abiding that."

:pacspit

If Putin was smart (and he is), he'd manufacture his own "illegitimate" loss and then say it was our IC that caused it.

:confused

That's the question. People act like elections aren't a thing in Russia but he is elected and does get the popular vote. Putin is extremely popular so it isn't even really suspicious.

You’re absolutely right. There’s some people disconnected from reality in this thread.

:drudge :ussrcry :drudge
ὕβρις

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #7771 on: December 28, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
list off the worst terms of 2017 in the gaf thread and neglect to mention cheeseburger shark brehs
The term you're looking for is Hotdog Aardvark

"I used to really enjoy Louis C.K's comedy but it turns out he's a hotdog aardvark" :(

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7772 on: December 28, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone can judge that except those women
Uncle

FStop7

« Reply #7773 on: December 28, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »
Any Amir0x updates?  Did he get peed on again for Christmas?

FunSlower

« Reply #7774 on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
Any Amir0x updates?  Did he get peed on again for Christmas?

I don't know why he wouldn't

Looking forward to updates in early Jan

Shuri

« Reply #7775 on: December 28, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
Neogaf was good for games when a lot of insiders would post. Even as recent as a year or two ago you could regularly discuss Titanfall with the Respawn guys. Even they bounced.

There will never be another gaf like place for a very very long time.
You can talk directly with devs on twitter these days. The time of forums is over.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7776 on: December 28, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
Don't do it, bb.  The books are boring as fuck.  What's great is really great, but in between that is a lot of boring shit and motherfucking Tom Bombadil.  And God, those fucking songs.  THOSE FUCKING SONGS.  The movies are better than the book for LOTR.  The book is better than the movies for The Hobbit.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7777 on: December 28, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »
LoTR Books>movies

nudemacusers

« Reply #7778 on: December 28, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »
yikes
at least a funeral finally ends  :zzz

And probably won’t have Tom Bombadil  :piss2
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7779 on: December 28, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »
yikes
at least a funeral finally ends  :zzz

The South will rise again, notwithstanding those damn Yikes !
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #7780 on: December 28, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
So many bad opinions in this thread  :kobeyuck

Rman

« Reply #7781 on: December 28, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »
You would think at a certain point you would have a little self-awareness and realize how often you parrot all the buzzwords, and look for another way to word it just to stop repeating yourself so often and sounding like a moron.

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
cheeseburger shark
whataboutism

Codewords for "You're an asshole and I know more than you"

What's funny is that you think they would know that using such language only makes the opposition dig into their heels. It's not persuasive. It's mostly shaming language, which only engenders a hardening of positions. You would think these idiots would understand basic psychology.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7782 on: December 28, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
You would think at a certain point you would have a little self-awareness and realize how often you parrot all the buzzwords, and look for another way to word it just to stop repeating yourself so often and sounding like a moron.

toxic
yikes
disgusting
not a good look
bad faith
disingenuous
cheeseburger shark
whataboutism

Codewords for "You're an asshole and I know more than you"

What's funny is that you think they would know that using such language only makes the opposition dig into their heels. It's not persuasive. It's mostly shaming language, which only engenders a hardening of positions. You would think these idiots would understand basic psychology.

They'll tell you they're not trying to persuade or change anyone though.  Anyone who believes or behaves in a disgusting way isn't worth the time of day, nobody's going to sit down and try to educate a racist.  Or alternatively, everybody else is 4chan trolls who already know better who are just trying to waste their time talking in circles.
Uncle

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #7783 on: December 28, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
I think they do know. this isnt about having a conversation or persuading others, it's always been about making opposition go away/shut up.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #7784 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
assimilate you are such a dumb bastard whose alt are you?

LOTR is boring. Just like the Hobbit was complete shit. There's no difference between the two. The reason LOTR didn't cause people to go into comas and come out of the theater yawning is because it was new. Fantasy hadn't been a big hit at the theaters for almost a decade and the LOTR books were so popular that people really wanted them to succeed.

It's like Star Wars. The fanboy hype is too large for it to outright fail. Years later though the LOTR trilogy isn't received as well because they're simply not that good.

Rman

« Reply #7785 on: December 28, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
I think they do know. this isnt about having a conversation or persuading others, it's always been about making opposition go away/shut up.
Even on RE where the infidels have been purged?

nudemacusers

« Reply #7786 on: December 28, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
Imagine cracking this open after watching the excellent movies, eager to pore over the supposed great source material in the illustrative detail only good writing can provide:

"Well, so they say," said the Gaffer. "You see: Mr. Drogo, he married poor Miss Primula Brandybuck. She was our Mr. Bilbo's first cousin on the mother's side (her mother being the youngest of the Old Took's daughters); and Mr. Drogo was his second cousin. So Mr. Frodo is his first and second cousin, once removed either way, as the saying is, if you follow me. And Mr. Drogo was staying at Brandy Hall with his father-in-law, old Master Gorbadoc, as he often did after his marriage (him being partial to his vittles, and old Gorbadoc keeping a mighty generous table); and he went out boating on the Brandywine River; and he and his wife were drownded, and poor Mr. Frodo only a child and all."

:snore
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #7787 on: December 28, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »
Are you guys seriously shitting on LOTR and Tolkien?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that the forum that loves Taco Bell would have bad taste :)

Bore Expert

« Reply #7788 on: December 28, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
list off the worst terms of 2017 in the gaf thread and neglect to mention cheeseburger shark brehs
The term you're looking for is Hotdog Aardvark

"I used to really enjoy Louis C.K's comedy but it turns out he's a hotdog aardvark" :(

Burrito Mosquito

:lucas

agrajag

« Reply #7789 on: December 28, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that the forum that loves Taco Bell would have bad taste :)

D3RANG3D, Samfish, El Babua  :rejoice

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #7790 on: December 28, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »
Toxic is the worst word of the year.

Toxic has become a toxic word.

nudemacusers

« Reply #7791 on: December 28, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »

liking taco bell's food means you have bad taste?

Cinnamon twists are amazing

:leon
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #7792 on: December 28, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
It’s a scientific fact, mac.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #7793 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
Also,
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bono-thinks-music-has-gotten-very-girly.12989/

Why do they hate Bono so much? He’s like the ultimate pussified soyboy. You’d think they’d love him.

I finally managed to work soyboy into a sentence. Go me.

nudemacusers

« Reply #7794 on: December 28, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »
In the beginning Eru, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is named Ilúvatar, made the Ainur of his thought; and they made a great Music before him. In this Music the World was begun; for Ilúvatar made visible the song of the Ainur, and they beheld it as a light in the darkness. And many among them became enamoured of its beauty, and of its history which they saw beginning and unfolding as in a vision. Therefore Ilúvatar gave to their vision Being, and set it amid the Void, and the Secret Fire was sent to burn at the heart of the World; and it was called Eä.

Then those of the Ainur who desired it arose and entered into the World at the beginning of Time; and it was their task to achieve it, and by their labours to fulfil the vision which they had seen. Long they laboured in the regions of Eä, which are vast beyond the thought of Elves and Men, until in the time appointed was made Arda, the Kingdom of Earth. Then they put on the raiment of Earth and descended into it, and dwelt therein.

:boring
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #7795 on: December 28, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
Fellowship of the Ring
91% fresh tomato meter
95% audience score

Two Towers
94%
86%

Return of the King
94%
86%

But yeah those movies aren't received well  :lol Go play in traffic ASSimilate.

agrajag

« Reply #7796 on: December 28, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »

liking taco bell's food means you have bad taste?

Cinnamon twists are amazing

:leon

It has come to my attention that cinnamon twists are deep fried egg noodles. I am done living the cinnamon twist lie.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7797 on: December 28, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »
1. Cinnamon twists are great
2. those fucking elf movies are boring as fuck
3. Nintendo :rejoice

agrajag

« Reply #7798 on: December 28, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
I wish this forum had a dislike button.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #7799 on: December 28, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
The real reason they cut out Tom Bombadil was the part where he tells all the hobbits to run around outside in the nude for a while and then they do it for some reason.
Uncle