Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174667 times)

Unbounded

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13680 on: February 02, 2018, 03:40:39 PM »
Is there any data comparing the rate of new account creations on RE to the rate of bans over time? I'd love to see that.

Hell, is there any way to get that sort of data, even?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #13681 on: February 02, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
Is there any data comparing the rate of new account creations on RE to the rate of bans over time? I'd love to see that.

Hell, is there any way to get that sort of data, even?

I'm sure if you ask the admin team nicely they'll oblige.

thetylerrob

« Reply #13682 on: February 02, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
Comic books suck and so do the people who read/write them

etiolate

« Reply #13683 on: February 02, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
I imagine their alexa ranking graph will look like a spacex launch in a couple of months

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13684 on: February 02, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
What about manga? Or text comics?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #13685 on: February 02, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
The comic book industry fucking sucks now and is void of all talent and trans people can fuck off. Tired of hearing about their nonsense. Get over yourselves, go live your life. Fuck.

Raist

thetylerrob

« Reply #13687 on: February 02, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
What about manga? Or text comics?

When she pronounces manga correctly and recommends Great Teacher Onizuka  :whoo

Raist

« Reply #13688 on: February 02, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
The fuck :lol

etiolate

« Reply #13689 on: February 02, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
8% of their traffic is bad googling? :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13690 on: February 02, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

Eric de Noorman, represent.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #13691 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:12 PM »
I don't know why anyone would ever post in a trans thread.

It's like spotting a unicorn.

tummyfat

« Reply #13692 on: February 02, 2018, 04:11:24 PM »

USER WARNED: TRANSPHOBIA

thetylerrob

« Reply #13693 on: February 02, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
Brad Shoemaker when he has to hear Abby's voice for 22 hours editing  the GOTY podcast.

Very Good post. This post is doing it for me. This post is my thing. Very Good.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13694 on: February 02, 2018, 04:14:28 PM »
EVERY thread is a trans thread. You cis shitlord!
que

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #13695 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »
I imagine their alexa ranking graph will look like a spacex launch in a couple of months

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/neogaf.com

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/resetera.com

I don’t know what’s funnier: GAF going over the cliff, or Recettera hitting the ceiling.

jorma

« Reply #13696 on: February 02, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/neogaf.com

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/resetera.com

I don’t know what’s funnier: GAF going over the cliff, or Recettera hitting the ceiling.

The gender ratio is the funniest for sure. Alexa is a TERF shitlord confirmed.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13697 on: February 02, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »

How else can I signal to others that I am a hip, 22nd century dude?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Boredfrom

« Reply #13699 on: February 02, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »
you're a parody of a poster dude.

If you think comics are bad because the writing is bad, that's whatever. that's completely subjective. but if you think comics are bad because SJ W vipers have infested the ranks and are trying to destroy it from within, you're a fucking idiot. I'm not claiming you're either, but those people DO exist and are the currently harassing creators and saying stupid shit like "stop putting politics in mah comix" when what they REALLY mean is "I hate women, blacks, queer people and they don't deserve time in my little hobby"

While I agree that is because "writing is bad"... a lot of Social Studies Warrior rethoric seems to be apologetic of some bad writing decisions.

Not the main cause of this writting dreadnaught, but there has been some questionable stuff. (Ex Bendis publicity stunt of making Ice Man gay )

Jansen

« Reply #13700 on: February 02, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4088620/

Quote from: Noroi_Kisaragi
The thing is, it's pretty well known those Mona Lisa spinoffs are being shipped as parodies.

Nowhere in the marketing has this remaster made the claim it was a parody. It's trying to bill itself as the genuine thing. That's deceitful and attempts to betray the hearts the original game won over.

I disagree. It's a pretty valid comparison. In the original scene, you couldn't tell what Darth Vader was thinking but you could analyze the context and think about what was said 5 minutes prior, and pretty much get a very good guess at what was going on in Vader's mind.  The new version throws that away and makes it clear "this is what vader is thinking about".

In SotC, Wander's expression on the left is pretty devoid of emotion. He's thinking something, but you're not sure what. You might guess.  The remake turns him into a borderline wuss that makes it clear "J-just look at me! You know what im thinking!".

I agree with an above poster that attaching an actual remaster of SOTC to this game would have been the ideal course of action to address these complaints, instead of just asking those people to shut up and go away

:derp

Boredfrom

« Reply #13701 on: February 02, 2018, 05:34:57 PM »
Everybody already assumed Ice Man was gay anyway :yeshrug

True, but Marvel did sent the story to every newspaper while the Bendis X books were in serious decline.

Then again, this also a example why Comics decline it has less to with Social Studies but Editorial and writing decisions.

etiolate

« Reply #13702 on: February 02, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
fistful is a mental cuck

Nothing that he posts stems from his own, personal thoughts. It's always dogma and hysteria. It's nothing anyone would naturally think. He's a cuck because someone else is fucking his brain and speaking for him through his own mouth while he quietly watches from the darkest corners of his mind.

And it stems from his own shame. He thinks he has turned a leaf when he's only flipped the coin. He's the same spineless bastard, but he exchanged an embarrassing image folder for an embarrassing set of dogmatic phrases.

That boy ain't right.

Jansen

« Reply #13703 on: February 02, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »
If you allow bigots inside of any movement in the name of fighting the "true" enemy, you will find yourself in a movement no better than the enemy you're trying to defeat.

Cravy

« Reply #13704 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »

They're dumb or new. You should've learned how not to get banned back  on GAF. Just steer clear if your opinion might possibly considered PROBLEMATIC.

Boredfrom

« Reply #13705 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
or the s j w writing was cringe and comic fans have been looking at an assortmentt of superheroes for years and think turning Cap America into a nazi is gayer than Andy's alcohol cabinet

Lol That is a bad example. The Cap Nazi has more to do with the Editorial than Social Studies (of anything, Cap is pretty inclined on progressive thinking)

parallax

« Reply #13706 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »

why?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13707 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:48 PM »
My favorite thing about comic books and the argument over the Sjw is the non-readers. Who don't read the comics, but see the complaints over the female or minority versions of the characters and then talk about how either the comics are crap or it's sjw shit being shoved down your throat.

And I'm like

"Female Thor and stuff like Ms Marvel is great".

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13708 on: February 02, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
The sad thing is that Secret Empire was an actual solid event at first. It felt big in scale. Full of big revaltions that had impact.

And then the 2nd half happen.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13709 on: February 02, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »
Ignore the fact that singular manga outsell the entire output of marvel and DC comics IN THE WEST. Everyone knows manga is also an alt right creation

Sources please. Because that's be hilarious if Manga and Animu's downhill slide is outpacing Marvel/DC/Capeshit's.

etiolate

« Reply #13710 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:30 PM »
but he exchanged an embarrassing image folder

lol, what's the story here?

He had several gigabytes of natalie portman photos in a folder on his computer

SG-17

« Reply #13711 on: February 02, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
How did this all get worse than before?

FStop7

« Reply #13712 on: February 02, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4082428/

Because people like this roam unchecked.  Diet Opiate sperglords.

etiolate

« Reply #13713 on: February 02, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »
Reset era poster has no fatherly instincts. Story at 11!

thisismyusername

« Reply #13714 on: February 02, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »

why?

String of failed (hetero-sexual/women) romances is the popular "Iceman was always gay" theory. Oh and throwing that panel of Jean Grey coming to the school and he's all "meh, women. Whatever."

That move was clearly Marvel trying to score progressive points, but it was just bad because 1) retcon of an established character 2) it was BLINDINGLY obvious that it was a PR move.

Now I haven't read their "progressive comics" like Ms. Marvel or anything, but their events have been shit for ages. They should stop doing cross-overs and let each of the properties actually breathe. Like, for fuck sake: I like the X-men, but they don't need to be in every stupid cross-over event Bendis and crew do.

Clockwork5

« Reply #13715 on: February 02, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »

He had several gigabytes of natalie portman photos in a folder on his computer

I see nothing problematic about this whatsoever.

SG-17

« Reply #13716 on: February 02, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Justice is only justice if it's neutered and pacifist apparently.

etiolate

« Reply #13717 on: February 02, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »
From like the Leon days

thisismyusername

« Reply #13718 on: February 02, 2018, 05:57:22 PM »

Oh man, this is how you tell people you weren't from GAF pre-2011 or so.

Clockwork5

« Reply #13719 on: February 02, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
From like the Leon days

Oh. Disregard my previous post. Eww.

thisismyusername

« Reply #13720 on: February 02, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »

why?

String of failed (hetero-sexual/women) romances is the popular "Iceman was always gay" theory. Oh and throwing that panel of Jean Grey coming to the school and he's all "meh, women. Whatever."

That move was clearly Marvel trying to score progressive points, but it was just bad because 1) retcon of an established character 2) it was BLINDINGLY obvious that it was a PR move.

Now I haven't read their "progressive comics" like Ms. Marvel or anything, but their events have been shit for ages. They should stop doing cross-overs and let each of the properties actually breathe. Like, for fuck sake: I like the X-men, but they don't need to be in every stupid cross-over event Bendis and crew do.

Also while I'm thinking of it: Fuck Bendis (and by proxy Jean Grey) for the way she threw Iceman out of the closet. "You're gay. I know this because I read your mind. Just come out, Bobby. It's fine!" :ufup

SG-17

« Reply #13721 on: February 02, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
So much for transparency in moderation either. Apparently contesting bans is pointless.

Boredfrom

« Reply #13723 on: February 02, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
So much for transparency in moderation either. Apparently contesting bans is pointless.

You were banned?

agrajag

« Reply #13724 on: February 02, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »
Yeah, that's embarassing. And while I commend him for leaving that cringe in the past, he took an embarrassing 180 degree turn into social studies cringe.

thisismyusername

« Reply #13725 on: February 02, 2018, 06:09:56 PM »
Yeah, that's embarassing. And while I commend him for leaving that cringe in the past, he took an embarrassing 180 degree turn into social studies cringe.

Eh, he isn't necessarily wrong that Comic Book nerds (and Gamers) are sometimes shitheels. You can just go to a Magic: the Gathering, Comic Book, or Gamestore to see assholes that treat women badly first-hand. But I don't think throwing "progressive" stories is going to do anything to stop that shit. Wizard's banning assholes for being assholes, does in regards to welcoming women to their venues, but doesn't really change the assholes opinion.

etiolate

« Reply #13726 on: February 02, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »
Everyone is sometimes a shitheel, but applying that to a whole group in a way as to make it seem like the default behavior is wrong. It's childish irresponsibility. Fuck up because your propoganda makes shitty comics? Blame your own audience for being stinky white males!

As though comic books and games haven't been a refuge for the already rejected parts of society, now you can go in and make sure their comic book heroes reject them as well.

There's going to be a point where the whole social justice invasion of nerd realms turns out to be a bunch of cruel cunts attacking people with social disorders and autism. That'll be awkward.

agrajag

« Reply #13727 on: February 02, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
 :holeup

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #13728 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:59 PM »

True, but Marvel did sent the story to every newspaper while the Bendis X books were in serious decline.

Then again, this also a example why Comics decline it has less to with Social Studies but Editorial and writing decisions.

That's what I wonder about. Who has those ideas? If there's some writer out there who has this great idea of replacing iron man with a black girl then go for it, but if it's just decided by some board that throws random stuff at the wall there's no surprise when it turns out to be garbage.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #13729 on: February 02, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
From like the Leon days
?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/itt-something-ive-been-working-on-the-past-few-weeks.346727/

Well he does have a folder labeled 1990-2003;  she was 9 in 1990.
Yeah, but it was obviously an, uh, all-encompassing obsession that seems to have started when he himself was a child, so... It's weird (and I now want to know how big JaseC's collection is), but not as clear-cut scummy as our resident renaissance thinker needs it to be for his narrative.

Boredfrom

« Reply #13730 on: February 02, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
Everyone is sometimes a shitheel, but applying that to a whole group in a way as to make it seem like the default behavior is wrong. It's childish irresponsibility. Fuck up because your propoganda makes shitty comics? Blame your own audience for being stinky white males!

As though comic books and games haven't been a refuge for the already rejected parts of society, now you can go in and make sure their comic book heroes reject them as well.

There's going to be a point where the whole social justice invasion of nerd realms turns out to be a bunch of cruel cunts attacking people with social disorders and autism. That'll be awkward.

While I agree with you there... lol, having a shitty female Thor will not kill the regular reader enthusiasm for comic: Bad writing, shitty editors and massive events tend to do that.

thisismyusername

« Reply #13731 on: February 02, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »

lmao, aren't you cute. Are you the type to bully women that come with their boyfriends and maybe play casual Magic: the Gathering with your Tier-1 AAA++++++++++++ deck to make them cry and then go home to jack-off over "dominating wimen-folk?"

Yes, those people are "rejected parts of society." No that doesn't give them carté blanche to be assholes to "normies" that "get into my hobby! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #13732 on: February 02, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »
Lolllllllll
Quote from: SantaC
Is it wrong to try and date 25-30 year olds when you are 37?
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4074858
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #13733 on: February 02, 2018, 06:26:07 PM »
Having a female thor to "correct the patriarchy" will lead to bad writing, cringe stuff and bad editorial decisions.

You face a very different response when you create a new female super hero. It can even be another Norse god (or Greek mythology ala Wonder Woman), but when you're rewriting tradition with political aims in mind it turns out as a train wreck.

There is a certain dishonesty in doing it that way as well. As though your stealing from the tradition to do your own thing regardless of the tradition, as opposed to having the confidence to go out and create your own story and hero from the ground up.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

Boredfrom

« Reply #13735 on: February 02, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Having a female thor to "correct the patriarchy" will lead to bad writing, cringe stuff and bad editorial decisions.

You face a very different response when you create a new female super hero. It can even be another Norse god (or Greek mythology ala Wonder Woman), but when you're rewriting tradition with political aims in mind it turns out as a train wreck.

There is a certain dishonesty in doing it that way as well. As though your stealing from the tradition to do your own thing regardless of the tradition, as opposed to having the confidence to go out and create your own story and hero from the ground up.

But... that has been comics standard modus operandi since decades. Good comic runs followed this. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #13736 on: February 02, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
etoilate's post reminded me of this:
(Image removed from quote.)
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11120/111202657/4633066-7416513324-14286.jpg

lololololololololol  :doge
"The game has become an excuse, largely, for people to hang out and flirt and smoke/drink or whatever the fuck"

:dead

But... that has been comics standard modus operandi since decades. Good comic runs followed this.
You have to factor in that he's stroking a very particular hate-boner right now, which naturally frames they way he views things.

etiolate

« Reply #13737 on: February 02, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
There is an idea that great art overcomes its propaganda over time, but the written word rarely does that.  The visual and musical realm? Sure. But the nature of written propaganda tends to remain written propaganda, as though art can't arise from it. And when the art does arise from it, it tends to so heavily subvert the propaganda that barely functions as propaganda and gets banned within its lifetime.

You can read Platonov's ability to demonstrate misery via his characters speaking in a sort of Soviet Realism and realize why he wasn't that popular for it, and then read the earnest Soviet Realism and find no art in it. Meanwhile the Soviet visual art is often enjoyable long after its initial purpose.

So you can see good visual art in that Thor comic panel, but reading it is fucking painful for how god awful and dated it appears in its own era. That's probably the most defining characteristic of written propaganda, it reads as though its dated as soon as its published. It's stuck in temporarily and the average person won't like it. Art can't be stuck in time.

Clockwork5

« Reply #13738 on: February 02, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Lolllllllll
Quote from: SantaC
Is it wrong to try and date 25-30 year olds when you are 37?
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4074858

I'm 37 and my current lady friend is 21

:ohyeah

But she literally approached me and said she wanted to suck my dick after we had known each other for a month or so.  I'll tell you what I didn't do, get on RE and ask them if it was ok to consummate the blow job.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13739 on: February 02, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »
:whew