Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2193229 times)

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #15720 on: February 13, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »

Be excited with any kind of popcorn trash at the cinema, I don't give a shit. The moment you try to shoehorn any kind of political significance into a fucking Marvel movie that's when I lose all respect for you. Every single part of these "political messages" in these pieces of crap is a marketing ploy. It's the latest craze in capitalism, pretend to be "socially conscious" for free and very successful publicity. Corporations might be pillaging the planet and exploiting humanity, but look, Disney has a black superhero and Walmart just introduced it's latest green initiative! (that won't do shit) OMG so great!

Turns out as a country becomes more diverse, it becomes increasingly financially wise to try and advertise and produce products catered toward a diverse array of audiences. Not sure why that automatically assumes the creative talent behind these products is always some nefarious capitalist ploy. A 200 million dollar, primarily black cast Hollywood movie, is going to evoke political discussion regardless of anything the studio does. Since there aren't a whole lot of those.

...Though talking about losing respect for people's priorities and wasting energy on meaningless events, as you spend hours a day lurking and hate-blogging a a fringe left-wing video games forum is a bit on the nose even for this thread.

I do agree with this, but you're being willfully blind if you don't think this political discussion is manufactured to a large degree. Things like people taking groups of poor black children to the movies, the whole, "this is a win for black people" are all being propagated by Disney and their marketers. Some of it is organic, as you said, but even the organic stuff quickly gets picked up and used to push the movie. Then you have to ask, at what point does it stop being organic?

A decent counter-example would be Wonder Woman. Basically the same scenario, but for women. Yet while there was people, mostly on the far left, making political hay out of the movie, the shilling for WW was nowhere near what we've seen for BP. Probably because WB is largely incompetent. The thing that drove people to Wonder Woman was good word of mouth. The thing that is mainly driving people to see Black Panther seems to be much more heavily focused on this narrative of 'seeing this movie will make a positive social impact!'

This plays into the fact that what is really driving this ultra divisive social justice crap on the left is money more than anything else.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #15721 on: February 13, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
Let’s not have another “pick on Etiolate day.” I’ll present a different topic to discuss:

Baby had 35 broken bones; foster parent faces battery, neglect charges
http://wishtv.com/2018/02/08/baby-had-35-broken-bones-foster-parent-faces-battery-neglect-charges/

(This isn’t the best story of the day, but I picked it because the dude looks like probably 90% of the Bore/Re/GAF.)
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #15722 on: February 13, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
foster parent faces battery, neglect charges

Empty batteries. :'(  A real sob story.

Shakin Stevens

« Reply #15723 on: February 13, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
Superhero films are for children, and the mentally feeble.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15724 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
Also the Jews probably
Uncle

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15725 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »
Spoiler: White dudes don't look at super heroes and think that dude looks like me. Don't look at Friends and say that represents my life.

How fucking dumb are you? The depths of your stupidity are apparently boundless. Do you not understand what the word "minority" means?

nudemacusers

« Reply #15726 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
Quote from: Uncle link=topic=45218.msg2379087#msg2379087
Half-naked man waving around electric wires.
Whip me daddi :noah
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #15727 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Etoilet is here to speak for all white people, and they have decided that they don't care about skin color in comic book movies. Except when they massively reeeee about Black Panther in youtube comments, on Facebook and other social media.  :yeshrug

Nola

« Reply #15728 on: February 13, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »

Be excited with any kind of popcorn trash at the cinema, I don't give a shit. The moment you try to shoehorn any kind of political significance into a fucking Marvel movie that's when I lose all respect for you. Every single part of these "political messages" in these pieces of crap is a marketing ploy. It's the latest craze in capitalism, pretend to be "socially conscious" for free and very successful publicity. Corporations might be pillaging the planet and exploiting humanity, but look, Disney has a black superhero and Walmart just introduced it's latest green initiative! (that won't do shit) OMG so great!

Turns out as a country becomes more diverse, it becomes increasingly financially wise to try and advertise and produce products catered toward a diverse array of audiences. Not sure why that automatically assumes the creative talent behind these products is always some nefarious capitalist ploy. A 200 million dollar, primarily black cast Hollywood movie, is going to evoke political discussion regardless of anything the studio does. Since there aren't a whole lot of those.

...Though talking about losing respect for people's priorities and wasting energy on meaningless events, as you spend hours a day lurking and hate-blogging a a fringe left-wing video games forum is a bit on the nose even for this thread.

I do agree with this, but you're being willfully blind if you don't think this political discussion is manufactured to a large degree. Things like people taking groups of poor black children to the movies, the whole, "this is a win for black people" are all being propagated by Disney and their marketers. Some of it is organic, as you said, but even the organic stuff quickly gets picked up and used to push the movie. Then you have to ask, at what point does it stop being organic?

A decent counter-example would be Wonder Woman. Basically the same scenario, but for women. Yet while there was people, mostly on the far left, making political hay out of the movie, the shilling for WW was nowhere near what we've seen for BP. Probably because WB is largely incompetent. The thing that drove people to Wonder Woman was good word of mouth. The thing that is mainly driving people to see Black Panther seems to be much more heavily focused on this narrative of 'seeing this movie will make a positive social impact!'

This plays into the fact that what is really driving this ultra divisive social justice crap on the left is money more than anything else.

Of Course Disney is going to nudge on anything that is going to increase the revenue of this film. It has a fiduciary responsibility to its stockholders to do as such. It is what it is.

At the same time, it is unavoidable that this is in fact a notable event in terms of American Hollywood history. Not a whole lot of 200 million dollar, primarily black cast, Hollywood popcorn films, with an emphasized and positive contemporaneous vision, have been getting made over the years. So of course it is going to draw attention, especially when it has the big, competent, established marketing blitz capacity of Marvel and Disney to go along with it. And of course Disney is going to welcome the positive force that has been mobilized behind the signal. This is the first Marvel movie to really have any sort of political significance of any kind, so I guess I am not really shocked it is going to be a bit more buzzed about and less ambiguous than than the lead up to Patty Jankin's Wonder Woman. Which most people I think were a bit unsure with what to expect, audiences and critics. And as you say, that probably has to do with Warner and the DC universe... Though I don't really know how you measure shilling?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:53:18 PM by Nola »

nudemacusers

« Reply #15729 on: February 13, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4494106/

Just to be 100% clear. Each ban and warning is discussed among multiple moderators and administrators.

:doge
I assume nobody actually believes this since they can’t even keep their mod decrees straight.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

tummyfat

« Reply #15730 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
I'm fine with a thread about being excited for Black Panther and how it's good that a blockbuster superhero movie has a black cast

I'm fine with a thread about American blacks being robbed of their African culture and how that feels

Somehow drawing a line between the two is where you lose me

Shakin Stevens

« Reply #15731 on: February 13, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
Also the Jews probably

Jews are particularly kind to children, and the mentally feeble.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #15732 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
  As much as I give shit to companies that blatantly target demographics, there is still some merit as to what's being done here.

Majority Black casts in movies are almost always regulated to non-Box Office movies, the bar's so low that a lot of Tyler Perry's recycled and hackneyed shit is considered decent because it at least tries to represent and cater to an underrepresented group of people.

This is a movie coming out from a company that has been putting out decent movies and it's already projecting to be one of the highest takers in the BO. It's something to celebrate when you consider that this shit simply doesn't exist. Even in Star Wars etc. a lot of the minority characters are regulated to people that mean nothing to the plot. Finn feels like such a piece of shit in TFA, and in TLJ he's a bitchboy that accomplishes nothing and goes off with the other token minority to briefly touch on class differences.

There's a lot of genuine hype around this movie for good reason imho.

Sure, it's an entirely black cast. I understand why black people are celebrating. They have good reason to do so. But why does that translate into hype for other people who aren't black? This is nice, but it isn't relevant to asians or latinos, middle easterners or Pacific Islanders. It feels like you're making the mistake of lumping all non-white people together under the banner of 'minority' and saying they should be excited for this too... but the cold, hard reality is that an all black cast in a blockbuster budget movie is pretty much as irrelevant to their day-to-day lives as it is to white people. I don't think that's really attributable to the hype it's getting from all corners, except for where it gets into this divisive black vs white tribalism that we've been discussing for the last few years.

I'm not being completely obtuse here – I do get it. It is a nice milestone in some respects and I get why people would want to celebrate it. Still, I feel like the viral marketing going on here is transparently obvious that it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said –
The thing that is mainly driving people to see Black Panther seems to be much more heavily focused on this narrative of 'seeing this movie will make a positive social impact!'

While there's a lot of media coverage of the "this is great for black folks" angle, I imagine the vast majority of people are being "driven" to see the movie because it's a highly rated movie in a series of very popular films.

This is also a part of it. I think it's fair to say there is a guaranteed rate of success for any Marvel movie at this point – probably with Ant Man or Dr. Strange being the baseline – and anything on top of that is a combination of hype, word of mouth, marketing, etc. This movie was going to be a success regardless of whether or not it became politicized.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #15733 on: February 13, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »
Black people: can we get more brothers please
Marvel: yeah sure, you got it
Other people: this is a milestone but grrr this pandering is annoying!
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #15734 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
I kind of really want to see Black Phanter, I enjoyed the first trailers that realesed some months ago. The last MCU Film that I saw was Avengers.

etiolate

« Reply #15735 on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
Etoilet is here to speak for all white people, and they have decided that they don't care about skin color in comic book movies. Except when they massively reeeee about Black Panther in youtube comments, on Facebook and other social media.  :yeshrug

I speak for people who aren't basic fuckwits. If you identify with people solely on their skin color then that's your own racist life approach.

I mean the argument here is that a rich, wealthy prince with a hidden city that supplies him strange super hi tech shit and an army at his disposal is finally a relatable character for American black kids because he's African.

Sorry but that's a point of view for dumbasses.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15736 on: February 13, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
I wonder who the first gay protagonist in a supergero film will be. Probably Batwoman. It'll be years from now though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:41:22 PM by Transhuman »

Bananas

« Reply #15737 on: February 13, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
The kids (YES CHILDREN) in Splatoon are aged 12, and I splat the FUCK out of them.

I don't think resetera would have a problem with that one.

I'm always confused by this. If they ban weird anime games (and they do) about "sexy" underage girls, you complain about censorship and how you can't discuss anything there. Plus it's just a gaaameeee. At the same time, you accuse them of being pedophiles? What's the narrative here?  :doge

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #15738 on: February 13, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »
Black people: can we get more brothers please
Marvel: yeah sure, you got it. Oh my, aren't we just so great? Please, please we're just doing what we do best and making movies, but look at how forward thinking we are. We truly are the first. Pioneers. We hope you enjoy this amazing milestone in western history, courtesy of The Walt Disney Corporation – the most forward looking progressive corporation in the world! Just wait until Captain Marvel, one of our next blockbuster releases, and you'll see what a true feminist piece of cinema looks like!
Other people: this is a milestone but grrr this pandering is annoying!

FTFY, Shasty

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15739 on: February 13, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
I mean the argument here is that a rich, wealthy prince with a hidden city that supplies him strange super hi tech shit and an army at his disposal is finally a relatable character for American black kids because he's African.
Emperor Bokassa I really screwed up by not having a hidden city or hi tech shit.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That we know of.
[close]

Boredfrom

« Reply #15740 on: February 13, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
The kids (YES CHILDREN) in Splatoon are aged 12, and I splat the FUCK out of them.

I don't think resetera would have a problem with that one.

I'm always confused by this. If they ban weird anime games (and they do) about "sexy" underage girls, you complain about censorship and how you can't discuss anything there. Plus it's just a gaaameeee. At the same time, you accuse them of being pedophiles? What's the narrative here?  :doge

Amirox and Opiate.

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #15741 on: February 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
I speak for people who aren't basic fuckwits. If you identify with people solely on their skin color then that's your own racist life approach.

When a conservative schools a liberal forum on the importance of class over identity politics you people might as well waive your leftist credentials.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:43:24 PM by Optimus »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15742 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »

Power fantasies are for white kids only?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #15743 on: February 13, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
Those dumb Blacks. Their power fantasies are already supplied by the white heroes already available. Why ever would they want someone who looks like them?

etiolate

« Reply #15744 on: February 13, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
I'm not conservative :lol

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #15745 on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »
Etoilet & Optimus:

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #15746 on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Reset acting all like this is the first black movie ever made. I mean what do you think Madea was all about?!

LMAO.

As it is, I really want Black Panther to
spoiler (click to show/hide)
be successful
[close]
bomb after the "FANTASTIC WORLD-BREAKING OPENING PRE-ORDERS TICKETS!!!!!" weekend, if only to see *autistic screeching* try to mental gymnastics why it bombed like Blade Runner.

nudemacusers

« Reply #15747 on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
This thread is demonic
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Optimus

« Reply #15748 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
I'm not conservative :lol

Oops. Am I confusing you with someone else? I thought you have defended republicans quite a few times. Tbh I don't really remember most posters but it might have been the bullshit certain usual suspects have been spreading so sorry for that.

agrajag

« Reply #15749 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »
The point continues to elude you, etiolate.

The point being, is that you can snipe about people being superficial from your privileged ivory tower all day long, but you cannot even consider that you've never had to feel under-represented because your whole life you've been spoonfed media that panders to your like. So you have the luxury of not caring about skin color in movies, because you've never had to grow up and play with toys and look up to heroes that look nothing like you. And you lack empathy. :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #15750 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »
I wonder how Africans feel when seeing Americans losing their minds over this movie. So weird.

Actually funny enough one of the stars talks about that (since she lived in Africa):  https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/black-panther-danai-gurira-from-zombie-slayer-to-marvel-superstar-w516373

Quote from: TFA
True, but some of Gurira's best bits are barely verbal: a wink, a nod, a watchful gaze or, during an undercover battle scene in a Seoul nightclub, a GIF-worthy shot of Okoye flinging her hated costume wig at a perp."You don't need that hair," she says, laughing. Three guesses how that clip is going to play on Twitter. The bigger question is: How will Black Panther play in Gurira's African hometown? On a recent trip to Zimbabwe, people were excited to see it. Still, she's seen firsthand staging her own plays how references that get giggles in Manhattan trigger wise groans in Harare. "I can't wait to see how it goes in South Africa," she says. "I really can't predict it. I hope they think we got the” – Gurira replicates the glottal throat-clicks of numerous African dialects – "right."

Still, she knows the stakes – and the potential – if Black Panther is a global smash. "There are so many more stories about African women to tell," says Gurira, adding, "and there are other Americas than what we see in the movies." What would life have been like if she'd never left Ohio? What's it like now for young girls in Zimbabwe who, like her, are watching movies to figure out who they can grow up to be? And can she channel her stardom into getting fans to see stories about about strong black women who don't even have to pick up a weapon?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #15751 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:56 PM »
Can we get this thread back on track? I believe it was about the sale figures of Japanese games.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #15752 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
The man with 15+ Gaf accounts pre-implosion calling anyone butthurt  :doge

Excuse me, 20 accounts :neogaf

etiolate

« Reply #15753 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
I am anti-nonsense and anti-bullshit.

And pretty anti-thebore because of the true vile nature of people here.

I don't have a political tribe, because that ends up with you defending bullshit and nonsense. People here think I'm conservative or whatever because they haven't ran into certain ideas of information before. Though it may be that anyone who disagrees with them has to be right wing. A lot of people here are only a feather's throw away from REEEEEEEEEEEset.

Optimus

« Reply #15754 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »

The point being, is that you can snipe about people being superficial from your privileged ivory tower all day long, but you cannot even consider that you've never had to feel under-represented because your whole life you've been spoonfed media that panders to your like. So you have the luxury of not caring about skin color in movies, because you've never had to grow up and play with toys and look up to heroes that look nothing like you. And you lack empathy. :doge

How do you know etiolate is privileged? Because he's white and he's watched more movies with white protagonists than black ones? Is this what passes for privilege nowadays?

thisismyusername

« Reply #15755 on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
Some of the more "look how good I write" takes on Black Panther are annoying, but I'm sorry Optimus. People aren't distinguished mentally-challenged because they are connecting Black Panther with Black History month. For some people it's a movie to be very celebratory of and proud of. There's really nothing wrong with the sentiment.

If the black community bonds over and is proud of a fucking superhero movie then I really feel fucking sorry for the black community. Especially a superhero movie that imagines a super duper advanced African civilization to the point it almost looks condescending.
You're not black and who the fuck are you to decide what people bond over or are proud of? Who the fuck are you other then some internet try hard?

Some people are happy that they have representation in one of the biggest American mass market franchisees out there. Some people are happy that they have something that their kid can look at and be like "that dude looks like me". Some people are happy they have a big budget Black movie that is'nt just a slave movie or a movie solely targeted at the Black community. Some people are happy that a huge company made something not completely white washed. Some people are happy that theres a Black Superhero who gets to be in the leagues Superman, Batman, and Iron Man.

It's its not fucking rocket science to understand how some minorities may fucking be happy and proud that there is a big fucking million dollar American Blockbuster pandering to them because there's been how many of those?

YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT.

Damn, Rah has leveled up. :leon :noah Guess I should start reading his posts now if he's gotten out of the InCel voice-hole.

Also if this is where the thread derails, just know I like this post a lot Rah. :gipper

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #15756 on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »
Back on track time:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pee-stream-split-off-into-two-streams-at-work.23104/

Yeah, wipe the jizz off your dick when you finish one of your chronic masturbation sessions and you won’t get dried, crusty cum covering your dickhole. 

TVC15

« Reply #15757 on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Can we get this thread back on track? I believe it was about the sale figures of Japanese games.

I’ll help.

Buried baby found in backyard
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/crime--law/tragic-buried-baby-found-riverside-backyard/noftgJznP49E4yYZ0FU1QN/
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15758 on: February 13, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »

I am not represented. You continue to think skin color and sex is a major representative of the individual. You are stuck in racist collective thinking.

I am not kidding with the "relates to 5% of the population" bit. That's a best guesstimate to my life based on a variety of factors. Anyone who knows me in real life understands this. You're just a fuckwit on the internet who falls in line with mob behavior on a bitter little forum filled with former members of a nutjob community.

You forget that comics are stories made by outcasts for other outcasts and those types of people aren't going to identify solely on skin color when people of their own skin color abuse, ostracize and bully them their whole life. I don't think that sort of social pressure produces simple, basic bitches like yourself. I don't even think you're that simple. I think you swallowed some horseshit about representation without ever truly testing that theory against the reality of life.

agrajag

« Reply #15759 on: February 13, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »
Right because only comic book nerds watch marvel movies.

And no one gives a shit about what you relate to. Posting about bitter forum dwellers *on said bitter forum* is too much, even for you.  :lol

Optimus

« Reply #15760 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
I am anti-nonsense and anti-bullshit.

And pretty anti-thebore because of the true vile nature of people here.

I don't have a political tribe, because that ends up with you defending bullshit and nonsense. People here think I'm conservative or whatever because they haven't ran into certain ideas of information before. Though it may be that anyone who disagrees with them has to be right wing. A lot of people here are only a feather's throw away from REEEEEEEEEEEset.

I don't visit the US politics thread often here because it's basically 90% r/politics with liberal distinguished mentally-challenged fellows pointlessly reeeeeeeeeing about Trump and like members of a cult expecting the Russian conspiracy second coming any time now but from the little I've read you seemed like the opposite side of the same shitty coin. Then again you might act as the contrarian there which would be partly justified given the level of distinguished mentally-challenged exhibited in that thread so I'll refrain from judgment.

jorma

« Reply #15761 on: February 13, 2018, 05:02:41 PM »
Right now i feel privileged because i'm not american and don't have to deal with any of this shit.

nudemacusers

« Reply #15762 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
TVC what is your favorite Peter Sotos album?
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

thisismyusername

« Reply #15763 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
Spoiler: White dudes don't look at super heroes and think that dude looks like me. Don't look at Friends and say that represents my life.

That's because 90% of all characters across all media are straight white men dudes. White people aren't constantly aware of being represented in media because that'd be like being constantly aware of your lungs filling with oxygen every few seconds.

Shhh... you hear that? It's the point flying over E-toliet and flOptimus's head.

Black Panther isn't the first movie to have an all-black cast. But it is one of the first BLOCKBUSTER/AAA (ugh) whatever you want to call it pop-corn film to have a black cast. A lot of pop-corn films cater to whites. Why do you think #OscarsSoWhite was a thing?

Boredfrom

« Reply #15764 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »
Etiolate, you are kind of contradicting your point given how much you are obsessing about Black Panther and representation.

People can identify with any fictional character whatever race or not is involved, that is true. But there is nothing really wrong in looking up a fictional hero because “he looks like me”.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #15765 on: February 13, 2018, 05:05:38 PM »
And you fruits had the nerve to get all bent out of shape when we talked about wrestling for a page :maf

TVC15

« Reply #15766 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
TVC what is your favorite Peter Sotos album?

Buyer’s Market is really the only answer, although I haven’t listened to it in years and years.
serge

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #15767 on: February 13, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
And you fruits had the nerve to get all bent out of shape when we talked about wrestling for a page :maf

I don't like fake things.

etiolate

« Reply #15768 on: February 13, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »
I'm not a contrarian. It's just that the politics thread is full of horseshit.

When I am correcting them on the fact that a story about one memo is much like the story on the previous memo, they somehow think they should rush in to disagree with me when the truth is a simple google search away. There is heavy investment in negativity towards me and it's longterm investment at that. Don't get caught up in their bullshit.

When I say I think Sessions is bad it probably flutters in one ear and out the other.  I'm not cultivating any view of myself, but I do take advantage of the collected force of negativity towards me. Like there's no real argument against what I'm saying about the shallow nature of how we commonly talk of representation.There is only a shallow collectivist defense of it which they will argue to death against their own interest, and then blame me for derailing the thread. A thread that is full of links to a forum that hoists up that shallow idea.

And out of their festering anger I get to make a point.

Kmele Foster has a great point he makes on the abuse of the term contrarian in a podcast he did with the linguist John McWhorter. It's thrown out as a dismissive ad honinem often, as though the people misusing it can't comprehend any rational reason for someone to have a differing view. It screams "i'm shut in my little bubble".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:16:11 PM by etiolate »

Boredfrom

« Reply #15769 on: February 13, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
The point is that you have some narcissistic tendencies?

etiolate

« Reply #15770 on: February 13, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »
Etiolate, you are kind of contradicting your point given how much you are obsessing about Black Panther and representation.

People can identify with any fictional character whatever race or not is involved, that is true. But there is nothing really wrong in looking up a fictional hero because “he looks like me”.

There is the one thing wrong I keep pointing to: It's pretty shallow and reflects a shallow understanding of your self.

That doesn't mean there can't be power fantasy or liking a character that is pure escapism from your life. That's fine. The discussion was that because he's black he now represents that for black kids. That's just dumb in a very shallow way.

Boredfrom

« Reply #15771 on: February 13, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »

There is the one thing wrong I keep pointing to: It's pretty shallow and reflects a shallow understanding of your self.

That doesn't mean there can't be power fantasy or liking a character that is pure escapism from your life. That's fine. The discussion was that because he's black he now represents that for black kids. That's just dumb in a very shallow way.

I will say is shallow in the way that Resetera and Disney frames it. But I cannot say that in a individual (and societal to an extent) Level.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #15772 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »
Before purchasing tickets for Black Panther, Google "Ike Perlmutter Trump" and consider if you really want those tickets.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Optimus

« Reply #15773 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »

That's because 90% of all characters across all media are straight white men dudes. White people aren't constantly aware of being represented in media because that'd be like being constantly aware of your lungs filling with oxygen every few seconds.

Shhh... you hear that? It's the point flying over E-toliet and flOptimus's head.

Black Panther isn't the first movie to have an all-black cast. But it is one of the first BLOCKBUSTER/AAA (ugh) whatever you want to call it pop-corn film to have a black cast. A lot of pop-corn films cater to whites. Why do you think #OscarsSoWhite was a thing?

Making great strides in representation of blacks in trashy superhero movies, that's what Martin Luther King was fighting about. We might have had some great black movies but now we have black superhero trash and that's what's important!

Identity politics combined with corporate marketing bullshit have warped your minds so much you can't even see how ridiculous you sound.

Btw #OscarsSoWhite was another distinguished mentally-challenged social media controversy for teen tumblr girls to play pretend activists.

Unbounded

« Reply #15774 on: February 13, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »

Honestly, it just sounds like you've never been a minority for an extended period of time.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #15775 on: February 13, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
What kind of underwear do you think Black Panther wears? His panther suit is pretty tight, so I don't think it would be boxers because that would get all bunched up. I don't think he would be going commando either because all that texture on his suit would chafe, and we would definitely see an imprint of his big black dick. I would guess he wears a thong, so he doesn't get visible underwear lines.
WDW

etiolate

« Reply #15776 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »

I will say is shallow in the way that Resetera and Disney frames it. But I cannot say that in a individual (and societal to an extent) Level.

I will say there's an important difference between a kid saying "cool a black marvel badass" and a grown ass adult saying "finally a super hero for me".

Optimus

« Reply #15777 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »

I will say there's an important difference between a kid saying "cool a black marvel badass" and a grown ass adult saying "finally a super hero for me".

It gets worse, they might even claim that the movie brings the black community together and creates a sense of pride amongst them.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #15778 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:21 PM »
So I guess it's official ResetERA policy to warn or ban posts that are low effort and go against the tone of the thread.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4503880/

Looking forward to all the warnings that'll show up in this thread.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-trump-really-more-popular-than-obama.23115/

agrajag

« Reply #15779 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »

It's a lot more simple than that, ya dingus. (Some) black people are happy because there's a big budget, Hollywood film with a primarily black cast. Something the feel is lacking in an industry they feel underrepresented with. You say that's shallow, but you're in no condition to judge how they feel.