Author Topic: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately  (Read 41208 times)

Re: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2018, 11:34:19 PM »
Success! Had my daughter cheering me on, too.
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2018, 01:57:26 AM »
okay boys, im going to knock off all the timed missions I can this weekend, since some of them will only be up this week

Freyj

« Reply #302 on: February 02, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
Series finally feels right to me after 3 or 4 attempts to get into it. Ducking and weaving charged bow shots is a blast.

Fortus

« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
Did you play on the ps2 EU servers for MH? If you did I probably know you.

Tried anjanath fo the first time, hes a nimble fucker for a big cunt. Only problem is, his flamethrower was OHKO'ing me and i got sniped 3 times. rip

Never bought the HD/ethernet thing for my og PS2 so I never experienced the multiplayer aspect. Thought about getting it for PSP when it blew up to be a phenomenon but tales about having to cramp your hand up in the 'claw' to play put a damper on that. My loss of course but it's nice to be hunting again
pie

« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
I played a bit of MH online on the PS2. I got one of those online modems for like $10 on clearance at Gamestop. I think I actually bought it with Monster Hunter. 
野球

Tasty

« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »
Did you play on the ps2 EU servers for MH? If you did I probably know you.

Tried anjanath fo the first time, hes a nimble fucker for a big cunt. Only problem is, his flamethrower was OHKO'ing me and i got sniped 3 times. rip

Never bought the HD/ethernet thing for my og PS2 so I never experienced the multiplayer aspect. Thought about getting it for PSP when it blew up to be a phenomenon but tales about having to cramp your hand up in the 'claw' to play put a damper on that. My loss of course but it's nice to be hunting again

Tri and 3 Ultimate on Wii U had online multiplayer and Pro Controller support just fyi.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
That thing where a monster can just leave the area after you've been chasing it across the map beating on it for 20 minutes? Yeah, fuck everyone who had anything to do with this time-wasting piece of shit.
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #307 on: February 03, 2018, 01:21:06 AM »
That thing where a monster can just leave the area after you've been chasing it across the map beating on it for 20 minutes? Yeah, fuck everyone who had anything to do with this time-wasting piece of shit.

I thought they don’t replenish their health though so it’s no big deal? Especially cause the scoutflies track them.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #308 on: February 03, 2018, 01:53:43 AM »
they leave the map entirely
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #309 on: February 03, 2018, 02:30:41 AM »
wtf

I didn't know that was a thing that can happen. And that's with a quest monster? Not like just some monster you ran across in expedition mode? Seems kinda bullshit for a quest monster to do that.

Bebpo

« Reply #310 on: February 03, 2018, 04:40:01 AM »
The Tobi-Kadachi outfit for the cat is ridiculously cute

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #311 on: February 03, 2018, 06:05:40 AM »
I played a bit of MH online on the PS2. I got one of those online modems for like $10 on clearance at Gamestop. I think I actually bought it with Monster Hunter.

There was this wireless router thing for the xbox/ps2 in a pc store for like 70 pound and I only had 25 pound so at the age of like 14 i spent 7 hours in the guys pc store annoying the fuck out of him until I got a 45 pound discount.

:D

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #312 on: February 03, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
wtf

I didn't know that was a thing that can happen. And that's with a quest monster? Not like just some monster you ran across in expedition mode? Seems kinda bullshit for a quest monster to do that.

Expedition mode. They tell you there's no time limits in expedition mode, but if the monsters can leave that's pretty much a time limit.
sup

Freyj

« Reply #313 on: February 03, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
wtf

Expedition mode. They tell you there's no time limits in expedition mode, but if the monsters can leave that's pretty much a time limit.

Just did my first one: the tutorial tells you that monsters will depart the field after a set time limit, but it’s shitty if there’s no way to know what that is.

paprikastaude

« Reply #314 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »
There's a notification if a monster is about to leave.

Bebpo

« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »
I don't get the point of expedition mode and I never do it. The only thing it seems useful for is finding camp sites for fast travel across the map but the maps aren't so big that you need more than like 2 camps.

I pretty much don't get the point of doing anything other than investigations (besides MSQ which you have to for advancing; or specific quests for unique quest rewards) since investigations give like 2-3x monster parts and besides monster parts, what else do you really need in this game? You can grab most of the flora and mining stuff just as you run around on hunting quests.

Fortus

« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »
Expedition mode is great for pounding out Bounties to get Armor Spheres. Also, it gives me a chance to load up on monster intel by collecting footprints, spit etc which leads to Investigations which you can then turn into quests for good rewards. I'm currently doing mostly Expedition stuff to get upgrades for my armor and leveling my scoutflies for the various big mons so I can immmediately get their track when I do actual quests. Of course I'm still only in Ancient Forest so ymmv

Tri and 3 Ultimate on Wii U had online multiplayer and Pro Controller support just fyi.

Oh I know. There's also that PC offshoot but until I started playing World I had no real investment in the series
pie

Bebpo

« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »
But it's easy to get tons of tracks when you're on actual hunts. Also you get so many armor spheres just passively from doing bounties while you're on hunts/investigations. Idk, I'm on Coral Sea now and I've never needed to do an expedition outside story and I kinda dislike when I have to do them in the story because it's always "find a campsite" and I have no idea where they are and run around like an idiot for a while.

However, I get that some people dig the non-mission, non-timer gameplay of expeditions to just go around doing what they want. I'm not a big survival game fan, so I prefer just fight mission challenges.

Freyj

« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
I wish missions were organic and the entire game was expedition mode honestly.

Fortus

« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2018, 04:29:34 PM »
However, I get that some people dig the non-mission, non-timer gameplay of expeditions to just go around doing what they want. I'm not a big survival game fan, so I prefer just fight mission challenges.

Basically this. I enjoy poking around in the nooks and crannies of a world. If there's a timer running I feel constrained in doing that, shackled to the clock
pie

Bebpo

« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »
Did a couple missions with Archie. He helped me out with his bow skills and I got the Horizon DLC cat outfit yay. Took down balloon bat Paolumu, I was playing 4p and he gave everyone a lot of trouble. Not that hard but moves a lot and doesn't have a lot of sitting still recovery frames where you get easy hits in with slow weapons. Then did a Rathian solo, that was pretty tough despite the only 4 star difficulty of the optional quest. Dude hits hard and I guess his tail is poison so lotta dodging and hitting in the face. Has a lot of HP too. Took me like 30 mins. Then went down to the area after the Coral Sea and fought Radaboon. That was pretty fun. I feel like certain enemies match well with certain weapon types. With my hammer, but slow monsters are the most fun like this guy and Barrathos. I bet Dragons are more fun with bladed weapons severing tails and stuff. I think once I get to high rank I'll try to find a 2nd weapon type that I like.

Next mission is Leganias or something. I'm still just rocking a tier 3 Agajanth fire hammer. All the tier 4 stuff still has at least one or two mats that are ??? so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be rocking a tier 4 weapon by now or not. Feels like maybe I'm not doing enough damage, so I might need to faq it and grind parts a bit soon. Also my weapon element being fire kinda sucks because a lot of the enemies I fight like Rathian are fire breathing dragons so I'm probably doing even less damage there. Oh well. Game is fun.

Oh and I figured out how to capture monsters, use the capture net and fish! So now I think I've got most of the systems down although I just unlocked the trailrider safari and I have no idea what that is.

Bebpo

« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
Was reading a thread on Era about whether XX should be localized. For me, as someone whose tried to get into MH every 5 years or so but never made it far, I can't go back to a MH without Scoutflies. Like the convenience of auto-tracking and ease of gathering/crafting is way too efficient. While I'd like to play XX for the 90+ monsters in it, I don't think I'd make it more than an hour without scoutflies. Hoping instead they just keep adding expansions/DLC to MHW to get the monster count up so I can enjoy most of those 90 monsters with MHW gameplay.

archie4208

« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
I'd buy XX if only so I can play it in bed. 

Tasty

« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Was reading a thread on Era about whether XX should be localized. For me, as someone whose tried to get into MH every 5 years or so but never made it far, I can't go back to a MH without Scoutflies. Like the convenience of auto-tracking and ease of gathering/crafting is way too efficient. While I'd like to play XX for the 90+ monsters in it, I don't think I'd make it more than an hour without scoutflies. Hoping instead they just keep adding expansions/DLC to MHW to get the monster count up so I can enjoy most of those 90 monsters with MHW gameplay.

:thinking

The zone segmentation of prior games and paintball are kinda the same thing right?

Also, I believe in you bebps, you can do or play anything you put your mind to. ;)

Bebpo

« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
It's not a zone vs open world thing. That's not a big issue either way. The scoutflies are just integrated everywhere in MHW and it's the biggest QoL bit in the game. It basically changes how everything flows in MH. At first I was worried it'd be a dumbed down beginners thing, but it's just a much more enjoyable way to do everything that isn't the fighting.

Fortus

« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2018, 12:06:16 AM »
So...Anjajath...
Didn't think his flame breath would SHOOT THROUGH A HUGE TREE TRUNK. Die and learn  :'( Nice to have three strikes per quest I suppose
His tail severed, limping badly with the skull thing orbiting his mini-map icon I eventually had him on the ropes. I chased him yet again knowing he couldn't last much longer...and neither could the clock. I ran out of time  :-[
On the plus side I got to harvest the tail and the hunt reinforced the importance of traps but I can't help but feel a bit blue-balled. I need to up my game if I'm going to solo the big guns
pie

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »
It's not a zone vs open world thing. That's not a big issue either way. The scoutflies are just integrated everywhere in MHW and it's the biggest QoL bit in the game. It basically changes how everything flows in MH. At first I was worried it'd be a dumbed down beginners thing, but it's just a much more enjoyable way to do everything that isn't the fighting.

i would say it annoys me how gathering is a little too easy tbh.

paprikastaude

« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »
Wild cats just helped me and put a stranglehold on Rathalos  :leon

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
a few times during solo questing, i get a green chat msg symbol top right of my screen with the sound that plays like i got a msg, but i dont know where to find/open it, nothing in chatbox.

Bebpo

« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
Is that different than the pop up when someone sends you their guildcard? I get that sometimes and if they keep sending it I'll just have to go to guild cards and accept so the notification stops.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2018, 01:41:53 PM »
i havent played with anyone yet, and havent recieved any guild cards.

Bebpo

« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
Are you part of an online session though? Aka you’re in a lobby with other people?

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »
Nope.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
side notel tried the bow which was always my sub class, how op it is now.

Bebpo

« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »
Bow seems like the go to ranged weapon. I mean ranged seems easier since you can just stay away and shoot, but I guess it takes longer since you’re doing less damage than melee.

Nope.

Yeah, no idea then.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
I dunno my dual swords dont come close to the dps my bow can hit out.

Bebpo

« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2018, 12:08:25 AM »
It's kind of interesting how organic the fights in MH are. I googled around last night to see if there were guides to taking out some of the tougher enemies, similar to like boss guides in FF14, but instead the youtube "guides" for monster hunter are like "uh, hit them on their head or tail and don't die", because most of the fights are just making use of what's around in the environment while dodging and hitting on the head or tail and not dying!

kingv

« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2018, 12:09:32 AM »
That Toba kodachi pretty much fucked me up.

I sent an sos and had three dudes and still fainted twice.

Freyj

« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
Landed three, tier 3 fully charged Great Sword overhead swings against Tobi Kadachi. Such a rush from good execution in this game.

Really preferring Great Sword to Bow recently. I still keep my bows upgraded, but not nearly as fun as the risk / reward of Great Sword. Likewise with Long Sword, the Dragoon jump is fun but has nothing damage wise on GS.

Tasty

« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2018, 12:32:58 AM »
Nothing is better than bringing down a lvl3 GS swing on a monster's face and immediately having the "Quest complete!" dialog pop up.

That feeling is better than some of my orgasms.

Bebpo

« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2018, 02:02:53 AM »
Man, my hammer play feels a lot less fun than some of that. I think I need to change weapons once I hit high rank.

archie4208

« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2018, 02:31:57 AM »
Bow seems like the go to ranged weapon. I mean ranged seems easier since you can just stay away and shoot, but I guess it takes longer since you’re doing less damage than melee.

Nope.

Yeah, no idea then.
I'm getting better times on bow than any other weapon I've done so far.  :yeshrug

I did a 9:49 Nergigante, and that's without cheesing it like this guy

Bebpo

« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2018, 02:35:01 AM »
Having trouble on the special arena quest #1 since they're all weapons I don't use and Pukei Pukei is surprisingly a pain in the ass out of the low level monster set because of the poison and tongue swipe.

Gonna try the bow and see how it goes. Didn't do so well with Katana and had to abandon. Doing it solo cause arena quests can't use flare and no one joins since no one is in the gathering hall.

Bebpo

« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2018, 02:47:00 AM »
Did ok for a while with bow but died. Yeah I need a 2p coop buddy, solo Pukei Pukei pissing me fucking off because he'll never leave me alone and I have no time to heal from the poison when I get hit. Wish I had my cat buddy :(

Bebpo

« Reply #345 on: February 06, 2018, 02:56:24 AM »
Ok, beat it after way too many deaths with a bow. I really like the bow though, was a good test run. Just was a frustrating arena single player since the 2 enemies never let off.

Bebpo

« Reply #346 on: February 06, 2018, 03:34:23 AM »
Messed around with a bunch of weapons in training mode. Learned a whole lot of new combos for my hammer which was super helpful. I should have gone to the training area before :o

I like the standard sword and shield, the lunge up in the sky -> crashing down attack seems like it'd be satisfying to do on a monster's head.
Dual blades wasn't for me.
Great sword is alright but too slow for me (feels even slower than the hammer)
In training mode I realized I didn't know you had to hit triangle to USE COATING which probably would've helped during Special Challenge #1 fight ><

Pretty impressed with the depth of the movelist that 15 hours in I'm just starting to get the hang of my first weapon.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:47:10 AM by Bebpo »

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #347 on: February 06, 2018, 05:24:52 AM »
if youre using charge shot on bow ditch it for continual combo shots as higher dps.

kingv

« Reply #348 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »
What is costing?

I like the game but the systems are definitely obtuse.

Bebpo

« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
Yeah, in the challenge fight I did with the bow I just didn't have time to aim because the 2 enemies were always in my face so I was using non-aiming O attack combos up close in their faces while dodging.

Coating from what I understood in training mode is how you use the special ammo? You hit triangle and there's an animation of the character hitting the arrows? I didn't know or use that in my fight so I guess I wasn't using any of the special ammo or something which probably made it take longer/harder.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
Im on xbox but i think the controls will be the same. The triple circle is youre quick shots x2 and final is a full charge arc shot which basically deals impact damage with a rain of stoned above. I quite like that move because done well you can have 3 rockfalls of impact damage that completely immobilizes the monster. What I was referring to was your R2 shot, normally you hold it to charge, but if you just tap R2 you can continuously fire until your stamina drains, thats where the dps is.

coatings are bascially arrow coatings aye, but nothing fansy really. Power self explanatory, close range is your infinite arrow, and the rest are generally status effects. There is an optimal distance to be, you want your reticule to be the darkest red possible for the highest damage.

« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
That Horizon ZD quest was really stupid.
野球

Freyj

« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
Got Anjanath on my first attempt, but a lot of close calls. I’d heard about the Fire one shotting so I played it really safe when his neck started glowing until he did the main breath attack. He jumped down into this vine trampoline area and missed me with a flamethrower attack by inches (hit boxes are way off in this game sometimes so I was screaming) while I was fighting the moving floor. I thought Rathalos was going to fuck me up during the Quest Complete cutscene. He was right on top of me, hit me and poisoned me.

Great fight.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:25:46 AM by Freyj »

Bebpo

« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »
Monster Hunter - all fun and games until you die 20 mins into a fight to some bs attack and fail the quest and are like fuck that I'm out -_-

Not sure if I'm gonna be game for high rank. Doesn't help that all these monsters are goddamn aggressive and kill you in 2-3 hits and hardly ever give you a second to use a potion.
Oh well, time to give Legiana another try...

Bebpo

« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »
Alright, kicked his ass the next time. Barely took any damage and kept hammering him. Fight is still long as fuck with all four of the areas it goes to. Took me 23 mins still. Also the first mission I've noticed for some reason SoS isn't allowed? (but it lets you do up to 4p at the start? Makes no sense) So couldn't get any help even if I wanted.

I kinda hate the last area of the fight because it's so small, it's where I died the last time because camera/cornered. But I do like the 2 vents gimmick with the glider mantle. Pretty neat to keep doing super jumps and hitting him in the air. Managed to break his wings so he couldn't fly which made the last bit pretty easy caused he was basically fucked and just running back and forth doing head first slides.

So ok, I'll admit that despite it being annoying dying in this game in long fights, it sure is satisfying to kick the monsters ass in long epic fights.

Also I haven't really been grinding at all besides getting a tier 3 weapon, so my armor is all over the place which probably makes it a bit tougher.

Bebpo

« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »
Was completely unprepared but beat an Ogoradon. Intense fight.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2018, 06:04:57 PM »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2018, 11:32:04 PM »
I see he collected all the salt I've been spilling over this game
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2018, 01:49:13 AM »
So I'm on the final bosses of low rank and I keep getting one shotted and it's no fun.

Fighting Diablos first and he has the same fucking issue I have with Pukei where if I get hit once I'll get knocked down and then he'll ram me while I'm getting up off the ground and kill me. So I can survive 2 hits but since I can't fucking get up after getting hit once it's essentially a one shot any time he touches me. This is...annoying. What am I supposed to do to avoid getting hit while getting up? I've tried mashing X to roll as soon as I can and I still get hit during the roll and die. :(

Anyhow I probably need to up my gear. The best gear set I can get right now has 150 armor Ogodaron, I have 109 armor currently.

Bebpo

« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2018, 02:51:45 AM »
BEAT DIABLOS FUCKER

I learned all his attack motions and through trial & error a bit figure out when I could get 1-3 swings of my hammer in after most of them. So I'd do a few hits and then roll out of the way, wait for his next attack, dodge, go in for 1-3 hits, etc... also using environment as much as possible and any stuns I can. I thought I was doing ok, blew through so many healing items but hadn't fainted. Then the 10 mins remaining message popped and I was like shit shit shit shit as Diablos had only just started limping a bit before that. So at that point I just said fuck it, DO OR DIE TIME and I started going in with non-stopped charge hammer blows trying to dodge and stick to his face and luckily I kept smacking him and only got hit once and recovered. Killed him in about 4 mins of that all attack frenzy. Total time was 44 mins.

Got a body armor piece so DEF is up to 123 with +8 fire def which should help for Rathalos. Problem is that he's a fire dragon and my rarity 3 hammer with 780 attack I've been using on all these guys is Ajangath fire element, so it'll probably do bad damage against him. Considering I expect it to take like 44 mins as well, I need to gear up on my weapon before the fight. Time to fight Jura-whatever-water dino a bunch of times and build up my rarity 4 aqua hammer. It only does 680 damage but has like 230 water as well and he'll probably be weak against water. So yeah, gonna grind out that hammer next time and then go for Rathalos.

The problem with Diablos, besides just being a prick is that if you're in his face you need to roll to get out before he does a charge but if you roll a direction he is charging you get hit. Not sure if there's a safe method like roll towards his tail or something. I just tried to roll out early enough to dodge the charge. Also got the hang of dodging while getting up and roll roll roll quickly to gtfo before he charges into where you were knocked down.