Author Topic: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately  (Read 40462 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
"might as well give this a shot, maybe i'll actually enjoy the series this time"

*loads character creator

"O MY GOD YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE YOUR CAT HELPER AND EVEN CHANGE HIS OUTFITS IM BUYING THIS DAY ONE"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:16:08 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Monster Hunter World Beta is up
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:10:47 PM »
Played for 5 minutes, still as clunky and obtuse as ever

Soul Sacrifice 2 please
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »
What did you expect? It's not gonna become the new DMC 3 all of a sudden.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »
i wish it had dragon's dogma controls at least. it's the same damn company!
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »
How bad is it?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »
How bad is it?

Have you played the other (terrible) Monster Hunters? If yes: There's your answer. If not: Download PPSSPP and an iso of Monster Hunter 2 G or whatever it's called and then try five minutes of it and swear the series off.

What Andy-kun sees in it, I'll never know.

paprikastaude

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
Don't have PSN, but I played a demo earlier this year.

It was inside a Sony booth in which a huge line waited for the game and they couldn't convince anyone to play the 10+ stations of that pos Detroit instead.

Soul Sacrifice 2 please

lol Inafune will die by the side of Red Ash

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

What Andy-kun sees in it, I'll never know.

Well, it *was* good old arcadey mission-based fun, with a chess-like combat system that favored careful strategy.

The battle system in World is probably better but I'm wary that the open world shift will drain the arcadey-ness from things.

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
Monster Hunter 2 G

This is like saying play Mario Kart SNES instead of MK8 for your first impression of the series and then writing the games off, lol. Don't play a game from two generations and a whole decade ago.

MH4 was a pretty amazing game. The verticality and removal of water combat were super welcome. Never played Generations/X though.

archie4208

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
As someone who played over 300 hours of Monster Hunter on a tiny ass 240p screen, this game is a godsend.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
Oh, this is a game I'd actually like to play unlike the 3DS-PSP trash

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »
i tried playing freedom unite, which was an enhanced port of 2,but i could never figure out how to track the fucking monsters. world lets you highlight monster tracks and have a big glowy cloud guide you around, so i actually found the monster this time! me and my team beat the shit out of it and it was pretty fun despite still feeling very clunky. I'm interested enough to try out the full game now.
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »
You shoot paintballs at mon's to track em bro.

Though it's possible that the 2G era didn't have very good tutorials for stuff like that, lol.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »
yeah looks amazing on my setup

fu had like five hours of tutorials and all of them were about the fucking item box. it was so annoying.
pcp

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »
Excited to play a MH where the claw isn't necessary

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »
Are you seriously unable to party up in this shit? I have to read out a 15 character alphabet-only case sensitive password to my party every time?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »
It seemed pretty fun. Don't understand why people think MH is trash.

paprikastaude

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
Are you seriously unable to party up in this shit? I have to read out a 15 character alphabet-only case sensitive password to my party every time?

the remnants of Nintendo exclusivity.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 11:53:39 PM »
uh what? i joined a party just fine

wait I think the job game thing was glitching so I created my own lobby and then people joined
pcp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »
uh what? i joined a party just fine

wait I think the job game thing was glitching so I created my own lobby and then people joined

Random people or your friends in a voice chat?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
randos
pcp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
Ok so not what I was talking about then.

Anyway I gave up on playing with my friends in my voice chat party and tried matchmaking and got an error code and tried joining based on a filtered search and got an error code

Ok I got one that worked. I started in a camp alone. You don't automatically start near each other? Pretty sure you pick your spawn point before you even initiate your search so there is no way to coordinate this with the people you match with? What is this game?

Are these randos even after the same target as me? That's also selected before you get to the matchmaking screen.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:51:58 AM by AdmiralViscen »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
Do we know how the main game will work with co-op? If I can invite friends into my instance to tackle multiple missions at our leisure and just run around the world, I'd probably love this game. If it's only on a per-mission basis with timers and a lot of time stuck in menus to get people connected only to run a single mission, it kills a lot of my excitement.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
That's my question also.

After I completed the event, it asked me if I wanted to stick together. I said yes but it closed out anyway.

I don't think a join/invite party is too much to ask in 2017 but if I only have to read a janky password once per session that might be acceptable enough.

Corporal

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
Fifteen characters? Yo, don't blame that shit on Nintendo. That's excessive, even for them. :-\
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
It seemed pretty fun. Don't understand why people think MH is trash.

Because

Soul Sacrifice 2 please

And that's how I felt about it...deleted it pretty quickly.  This is just not a series for me.
:idont
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
Don't you like Dynasty Warriors tho? Talk about clunky and obtuse lol.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
Don't you like Dynasty Warriors tho? Talk about clunky and obtuse lol.

Dynasty Warriors is "obtuse?"  LOL.

Monster Hunter's clunky game play makes Dynasty Warriors' game play look buttery smooth in comparison.  :pimp

Also Toukiden >>>>>>>>>>> MonHun.  Everybody does it better than Capcom.
:trumps
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:07:00 PM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »
Why is the mission timed?

Why not just, gauge my level based on how long the mission takes period? Every game from 1996 did this. Remember Goldeneye cheats?

Hello?
fat

Corporal

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »
Well, as a former MonHan fan, that clunky combat refers to methodical, QTE styled combat that's really more like a rhythm game with dinosaurs. It's one of the designs that's there intentionally, particularly with the bigger and more unwieldy weapons.

It's also one of the issues that keep many gamers away, as evidenced in this and many other threads. Those rather inflexible constraints are very unfun for a huge amount of gamers.

It's also why I'm so confused why Capcom tried this Hail Mary approach in the first place. The core gameplay has limited appeal, and they are tweaking it heavily this time around. On top of that, the platform change means we they have to take into account a certain fanbase shrinkage (like me, who cannot be bothered to buy any non-Nintendo pissbox). It's a huge and exceedingly pricey gamble to do all that and at the same time target three UHD platforms at once.

Oh well. Game still seems to be rather good though. I'm envious.

That T-Rex with the nose tumour is a stupid as fuck design, though. Yuck.

Edit: Demi, MonHan missions are always timed. It's MonHan. For all the changes they have applied, they still can't escape their core gameplay philosophy that constricts you like a corset. It's stifling, isn't it. Part of the appeal though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:37:58 PM by Corporal »
!list

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
I'm ok with the gameplay. I like it. I just don't know why the multiplayer interface feels like Battle.net circa 1998.

Corporal

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
I'm ok with the gameplay. I like it. I just don't know why the multiplayer interface feels like Battle.net circa 1998.
We Nintendrones (and PSP stans) had to make do with much worse. Good to hear that the Multiplayer interface has at least evolved past the eighties. Progress is being made.

No, but seriously. On 3DS and prior you went to a dedicated online menu, scrolled through a list of available lobbies and entered one. Then you'd look at the mission board and select one of the currently active missions (preferably the one the others also had selected, as visible via a small floating con next to their name). ...Unless the team was already out on said mission. In which case you'd probably leave because you could do nothing but wait or bother the NPC vendors. If the peeps were in, you'd usually get your gear checked out by them and one out of ten times get kicked. Then you'd go to the dedicated starting point and indicate your readiness. The one who put out the quest would then push go and the group would do whatever. If it was a key quest required for story/unlock progression, only the quest giver would unlock the completion. So you'd wait your turn and grind the same mission a couple of times. If at any time an error occurred, you'd drop back outside the online menu.

All of that with a minimalistic chat interface. You can type freely in the newer iterations, but usually it's easier to use shortcuts. Or, well, anything outside the game. Like carrier pigeons.

It worked, but it was incredibly barebones.
!list

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
I will see y'all in January when i give my life up for this game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
The stupidest thing of all is not also localizing the Switch version, the making statements that they don't have any Switch games to release.  Uh...?
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »
Making a Switch port fanboys could cry about was the mistake, but in reality no one but fanboys could've still wanted that game while next gen MH is on the horizon. I.e. the Switch one is just a map pack for a prior 3DS game that was already stale in itself.

But then again, the series, like Dragon Quest, is for many not about games they actually wanna play but instead console war material because of its sale power in Japan. It was hilarious when Vita didn't get MH and the bitterness that nintenyearolds currently demonstrate might even be sweeter.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:19:26 PM by Spieler1 »

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »
oh hi spieler we used to hunt on mh3u together back in da day.

Corporal

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »
the Switch one is just a map pack for a prior 3DS game that was already stale in itself.
If it was even that. It was a lazily up-rezzed port of an already existing game. And yes, not even a good one. 4U was great, X was OK, XX... Let's just say W looks worlds better. Heh.

I'd still have bought MHXX Switch if they had released it in the west with some random ass translation. I mean, it's freaking MonHan, even at (ugh) 30fps and rendered at 720p instead of 240p (yikes). A new handheld without MonHan is like a cup of tea without sugar. Something's missing.

!list

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »
Didn't the WiiU one run on an unlocked framerate that was around 40 fps average?

Switch version of Generations Ultimate or whatever should've been able to get close to 60 then.  Edit: Sounds like it's because of 3DS crossplay.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:52:17 AM by HardcoreRetro »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »
the Switch one is just a map pack for a prior 3DS game that was already stale in itself.
If it was even that. It was a lazily up-rezzed port of an already existing game.

So just like Ultra SF2 and Resident Evil Revelations?  :doge
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
If it was even that. It was a lazily up-rezzed port of an already existing game.

So just like Ultra SF2 and Resident Evil Revelations?  :doge

I know switch owners must be thirsty which is why they celebrate all this old content, but catapulting a near-fullpriced ugly SF2 into the top of the charts was just embarrassing. I hear Revelations at least has motion controls like RE4 added in (and Revelations 2 is amazing, support that instead switch boys).

Svejk

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 07:00:58 AM »
I played only 2 quests, but I enjoyed it.  The HUD and menus were a bit on the overwhelming side, but I'm still certainly considering it...  It just might not be a Day Oner...  Tell you what though.. I'm currently playing Horizon right now..  The gameplay between these two are like night and day.. MHW being the clunkiest shit ever compared to Alloy's nimbleness. 

Himu

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
Here's some facts:

1. As an MonHun expert I know what I'm talking about.
2. I played 100 hours of MonHun 2 on my iphone using touch controls. Essentially, I have mastered Monster Hunter and its gameplay/controls because I'm not a shit gamer.
3. Haters of MonHun are scrubs.
4. These scrubs should stick to Souls games or w/e.

I have no idea why people think MH is clunky. And more often than not it means they've played it for maybe ten minutes.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »
I forgot another fact.

I will be dling the beta to see how it is so I can use my expert opinion to judge this.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
You're not supposed to be nimble wielding a sword as large as yourself.

Himu

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
That might be the problem. I bet most who say it's clunky play great sword class. These dumbasses don't even experiment with classes. Again, they're dumbasses and why games are dumbed down turds now. Play long sword or something.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
Also, open world monster hunter. I'm not sure how that'd work. Could work, could stink. Time will tell.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
People who like Monster Hunter voted for Trump, nobody is perfect
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
it's clunky in that animations are slow and frequently non cancelable. it takes time to get used to.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
So you mean by clunky each move is a....commitment and you can't button mash so you need to make each attack count.

:ohhh

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
Combined with that and the fact that each monster has various hit spots (tail, torso, legs, arms, head) and a stamina system that depletes every time use an attack, perhaps maybe MH is a game where you're supposed to be precise as all possible using the least manner of resistance to study an opponents weak point without whiffing a large attack and getting owned for it? Perhaps this is not DMC/NG?

IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
Correct, one is fun, the other is not
fat

Himu

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
Nah. They both own.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
Are you a fellow Monster Hunter elitist Cindi? *Starts sharpening his longsword* If you know what I mean. ;)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Combined with that and the fact that each monster has various hit spots (tail, torso, legs, arms, head) and a stamina system that depletes every time use an attack, perhaps maybe MH is a game where you're supposed to be precise as all possible using the least manner of resistance to study an opponents weak point without whiffing a large attack and getting owned for it? Perhaps this is not DMC/NG?

well no fucking shit. I'm saying there's a learning curve.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
Are you a fellow Monster Hunter elitist Cindi? *Starts sharpening his longsword* If you know what I mean. ;)

Yes I am. Long sword is my weapon of choice.

I haven't played MH in a while though. I skipped 4 and X.
IYKYK

Corporal

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
It's a fucking rhythm game you scum-sucking heathens. You position yourself correctly so you have a chance to deliver a few well timed blows, then evade or reposition yourself once more, all with a very deliberate timing. Occasionally you have some QTEs where button mashing is required, but most of the time you really need to watch your button presses.

Also, Hammer all the way. At least in "old" MH. It's so fun landing the correct attack chains on the head of a monster to send it flying, stars spinning in their eyes.
(Only annoying if it's a raptor type enemy because their "dazed" animation loop has their head wildly wobble back and forth. Which not only looks physics-defyingly stupid, it also makes further concussion-causing love taps more likely to miss.)
!list

Corporal

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
Doubleposting, so why not dig out this ancient but nonetheless still amusing 4chan meme.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:21:59 AM by Corporal »
!list

Himu

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »
Hammer, huh? I can respect that. :obama
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
I would have said that it's fantasy hunting sims, but then it kind of went off the rails with super jumps and aerial combat recently. Jumping styled GS in X was the best.

Himu

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
Doubleposting, so why not dig out this ancient but nonetheless still amusing 4chan meme.
(Image removed from quote.)

:lol

wtf the fuck is that image so small though? Is there an auto img resizer on this forum? wtf
IYKYK