Author Topic: 2018 US Midterm Elections | OT |  (Read 30979 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: 2018 US Midterm Elections | OT |
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
you can fight for small businesses and workers' rights simultaneously if you advocate for the private sector to move to a worker owned model or, wherever possible, flat structured equal pay syndicates

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i would vote for that guy early and often
[close]
每天生气

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
you can fight for small businesses and workers' rights simultaneously if you advocate for the private sector to move to a worker owned model or, wherever possible, flat structured equal pay syndicates

i would vote for that guy early and often
[close]

What the hell is this pinko bullshit? Jesse Ventura didn’t go to Central America to kill the Predator for this crap.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
The small business owner as an example of The Little Guy is pretty ingrained in American political rhetoric, despite how silly that is.

God, remember "I built that!" from 2012? That was about a billion years ago.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
Filled out my absentee ballot request so I can vote from the comfort of my home. I look forward to Republicans winning everything in the state yet again this election.
 :goty2

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2018, 06:18:10 PM »

shosta

« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »
lol this nicca eating beans
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/GallupNews/status/1044345916231233536

:doge

45% approve of a raging dumpster fire
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »
When you only have two viable choices...

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
I fail to grasp how anyone could reasonably view either favorably.

shosta

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »
would like to see this done for registered voters only
每天生气

El Babua

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
Who would you hate more? Your abusive father, or your mother who just stood by and let it happen?  :doge

shosta

« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
Sarah Smith gonna kick Adam Smith's ass out of Seattle  :punch
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
From an Asheboro, North Carolina newspaper
Let’s face it, I am the law
By Shiv Harsh

Everyone is the same under the law. Except for those who are not. Nobody is above the law. Except for those who are. Or should be. Like me.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t have a God complex. But I am in an unusual position. Though not God, or even a saint, I am approaching territory where I should not be treated like other mortal human beings. Why? Because I have unique gifts.

I am talented in a way few people are. I can help you. I can help my neighbors, my community, our country. Hey, I can help the whole world. There have been very few human beings like me in the history of this world. You’re lucky to have someone of my ability at this critical point in our history.

Why? Look at me. I am a smart guy. I am smarter than most politicians. In fact, I am smarter than any politician who has ever existed. Just look at me. Don’t I look smart? I can diagnose heart disease. I can diagnose all kinds of other diseases, too. And have done so for decades. Diagnosing and treating the ills of this nation will be a snap.

But that would just be a start. It would be a waste of my enormous abilities to confine my excellence to just one nation. The whole world stands to benefit from my gifts. But I have to start somewhere. Once I fix the problems of this nation, the rest of the world will take notice. They may appoint me as a kind of free-standing global czar, spreading munificence left, right and center.

But first you have to elect me. No, elections are for losers. Someone of my caliber must be crowned. It would be in the interests of this nation to have a coronation. We have had elections for far too long. Excellence must be rewarded by coronation. No, I’m not talking about having a king. Although it would be nice, wouldn’t it, if you guys made me king? But I don’t like the idea of kings and queens, as currently in vogue. You are king, and your son or daughter succeeds you, even if they are morons. Not good. What would be better? Take people like me, talented beyond belief, nominate them, and then everybody bow and get out of the way. And, of course, every red-blooded citizen then votes for me. Very democratic.

But we have to cut a deal. I don’t like dissent. You wouldn’t either, if you were supremely gifted, and knew what was best for the country, even before the rest of the country had figured it out. I don’t have to be your leader. I have plenty of other things to do. I have made tons of money. But I want to make more. My kids are not nearly as talented as I am. They need to be taken care of.

So shall we move forward? You ready to deal? Because I am always ready to deal.

What can I do for you? More than any other leader in the history of mankind. The problems you guys have? Solving them is a piece of cake. But only for me. The other folks littering the landscape are no good. They are low-energy. You need energy to do this job. I am full of energy.

You want specifics? I will make all of you rich. Everybody I know is rich. They became rich by exploiting others. Sorry, just kidding. But I do know the secret to wealth. And I will bring enormous wealth to you. Now some people will lose out. But not that many. And you do need some losers in this world. Otherwise who will do the dirty work that we are too proud or lazy or snobbish to do ourselves?

But I need something in return. I will be the law. My word will be the law. No dissent. Just shut up and let me go about my business. I know what I am doing. I might bend the law a little, but who will know? Because I am the law. And you will reap huge rewards. At least those of you who don’t stand in my way.
每天生气

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »
The other day I got an unsolicited text message from a campaigner that said: [Democratic Party politician] is running to represent [my state senate district number] in the state senate, where he'll fight for [redacted], small businesses, and workers' rights.

All I could do was the Jim Halpert stare at the camera thing.

Update: I got a mailer from their Republican opponent that said "[Democratic Party politician] is a liar." and then followed up the claim with a list of lies they told and the actual truth and / or "truth" of them. One of these was "LIE: [Democratic Party politician] is a small business owner. FACT: [Democratic Party politician] was a trial lawyer."

Not only did I stare at the camera again but I thought of this scene in Ilf and Petrov's the 12 Chairs.

So what was in this building before historical materialism?'

'Before what?'

'You know, back then, under the old regime?'

'Oh. Under the old regime my master lived here.'

'A bourgeois?'

'You're a bourgeois yourself! He wasn't a bourgeois. He was a marshal of the nobility.'

'So he was a proletarian, then?'

'You're a proletarian yourself! I told you loud and clear, a marshal.'

The conversation with the clever dvornik with a vague understanding of the class structure of society would have lasted god knows how long if the young man hadn't made a decisive move.
[close]

shosta

« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
Automatic voter registration is on the ballot in Nevada and Sandoval is opposed.

IP1 advances a worthy goal by encouraging more eligible Nevadans to register to vote. However, such a result must partner with sound policy. IP1 fails this test because it extinguishes a fundamental, individual choice—the right of eligible voters to decide for themselves whether they desire to apply to register to vote—forfeiting this basic decision to state government. … the core freedom of deciding whether one wishes to initiate voter registration belongs to the individual, not the government.

Moreover, if IP1 became law, it would create an unnecessary risk that people who are not qualified voters may unintentionally apply to vote, subjecting them to possible criminal prosecution, fines, and other legal action.

lol. republicans kill me. I've never had issues with Sandoval, even when I lived in California, because he was "one of the good ones", but come on!
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2018, 10:32:08 PM »
Well, if the government registered you to vote but you want to exercise your freedom by staying at home, couldn't you do that by staying at home?

shosta

« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »
no
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
shut up, bitch.

shosta

« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2018, 10:38:22 PM »
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »
 :sheik

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »
I finally filled out my ballot. Went straight D down the line. First time I've done that in a while. Also voted yes on one issue near and dear to my heart. Went no on just about everything else. Mailing it off tomorrow. Now I just have to wait until Nov.
As an aside, I am super bummed. I took Nov 7 off of work but had to cancel because of visitors at my location that I need to entertain for a week. I'm hoping I skirt out the night of the 6th and maybe come in late that morning.

shosta

« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2018, 01:51:06 AM »

midterm apathy :mouf
yeah 2016 really activated those millennials mang
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2018, 04:10:05 AM »
I hate that there's no such thing as a political season anymore. Political ads have been airing daily since election night in 2016 :rage :rage :rage :stahp
it's really just a massive grift by political consultants and a dependent media class and their enablers

we've known for some time that ad saturation doesn't even turn out your own voters, i wouldn't be surprised if its main effect was to turn off the leaners/independents from even bothering to pay attention closely, even late or at once considered "key" moments in campaigns (debates, conventions, etc.) but i don't really keep up to date on that wing of the field

i also wouldn't be surprised if incessant polling reporting also has negative "unanticipated" effects, especially among potentially key cleavages

plus campaigns do all their own polling anyway

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2018, 08:17:45 PM »
Hi [redacted], ballots are out and our District Attorney [name] is endorsed by Sheriff [name], and the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs! Can [candidate] count on your vote? Reply STOP to opt out.

The struggles of being a white voter in a majority minority city. :stahp

shosta

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2018, 03:54:52 AM »
I missed the deadline to register to vote  :neogaf
每天生气

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2018, 07:56:16 AM »
 :iface

agrajag

« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

midterm apathy :mouf
yeah 2016 really activated those millennials mang

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
Relax guys, he’s kidding. He’s too young to vote

Kara

« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »

Good thing the choice has been downgraded from "vote or die" to "vote or the Republicans win." :whew

*Žižek voice* but they are the same!
[close]

shosta

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2018, 06:51:01 PM »
Was going to post some lowlights from a House Democratic candidate's flyer I just saw but they were literally a registered Republican for years so it's not fair to pick on all the ink dedicated to small business, family, lowering prescription drug costs, and common sense solutions to problems.

It does say the candidate believes in basic decency though so they are clearly a quick study in Democrat parlance.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
I hate that there's no such thing as a political season anymore. Political ads have been airing daily since election night in 2016 :rage :rage :rage :stahp
it's really just a massive grift by political consultants and a dependent media class and their enablers

we've known for some time that ad saturation doesn't even turn out your own voters, i wouldn't be surprised if its main effect was to turn off the leaners/independents from even bothering to pay attention closely, even late or at once considered "key" moments in campaigns (debates, conventions, etc.) but i don't really keep up to date on that wing of the field

i also wouldn't be surprised if incessant polling reporting also has negative "unanticipated" effects, especially among potentially key cleavages

plus campaigns do all their own polling anyway
Back when I was still a masshole come senate reelection time Scott Brown had endless fucking ads on both radio and television. I voted for Warren partially just so I wouldn't be plagued by all his goddamn ads again in six years. :punch
Hi

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
MA Dems flubbing that Senate election was one of the great facepalm moments in politics.

Ted Kennedy's molesting ass should've resigned earlier anyways.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
MA Dems flubbing that Senate election was one of the great facepalm moments in politics.

Ted Kennedy's molesting ass should've resigned earlier anyways.
Hi

Kara

« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
Receiving so many text messages this election. Low effort, low cost bullshit. :cmonson

I also got a Republican text that actually tried to invoke #MeToo. :cmonson

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »
I've been getting those text messages too. I was kind of creeped out that these randos are texting me and knowing my name, number, and status of my ballot. But they are also coming across a little flirty so it's whatever.
WDW

shosta

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2018, 10:21:53 PM »
Wow, I just realized I got one text message every week from "Freddie" for three months and I still didn't even register
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
Damn, they knew you were gay.

I get txts from Emma.

Kara

« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »
Mine never identify themselves. It's very impersonal, they don't even include a dick pic.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2018, 10:13:54 PM »
Mine never identify themselves. It's very impersonal.
Discretion is a must.  :doge

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »
I've heard from both Melanie and Kristen but neither have sent me dick pics yet.
WDW

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2018, 10:54:13 AM »
Mine never identify themselves. It's very impersonal, they don't even include a dick pic.

"Comrade, we need your help in the 2018 Midterm Elections. You know what you need to do."
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »
That comes through a dead drop or my irregular meetings in the park with my handler. :ufup

kingv

« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »
I had a very nice conversation during the primaries about being one of Gods chosen people with a volunteer.

She told me she was orthodox though.
 :nope

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Which god's chosen people?

kingv

« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
Tea Party Republicans.

hampster

« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2018, 06:07:29 PM »
Receiving so many text messages this election. Low effort, low cost bullshit. :cmonson

Same, first time I ever gotten political text messages. I wonder if they are just blasting all the numbers in an area code.
Zzz

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to get to enjoy election night down south. Kind of annoyed because I wanted to watch the local results. Though it will also will be interesting to see how they react to the results.

Kara

« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2018, 01:07:32 AM »
A pollster hung up on me today. I wasn't even trying to be a benji, either. :lol

agrajag

« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2018, 03:56:22 AM »
A pollster hung up on me today. I wasn't even trying to be a benji, either. :lol

Benji
When a male gives another male a blow job in front of other people in public place.
Did you hear that Lance gave Nick a benji on the bus the other day?
#blow job#blowy#head#bj#dome

?

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »

Benji
When a male gives another male a blow job in front of other people in public place.
Did you hear that Lance gave Nick a benji on the bus the other day?
#blow job#blowy#head#bj#dome

?

:dead
___

benjipwns

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2018, 12:53:37 AM »
I forget what the actual term is now, but it's a thing that people who do regular survey research do refer to, someone who is clearly just going to be noise so you drop the survey so as to not have to record them rather than continue with it. (Though usually you just pretend continue the poll rather than hanging up. :lol Maybe it was seriously recorded so they had to "drop" the call to do this.)

The one time I've ever been polled, it was some conservative group doing a pushpoll against Obama for some reason and some poor kid who was getting his dreams about politics crushed, and I was answering him truthfully on all these policy questions, many of which had to do with immigration, so I was all over the place from his POV, and then at the end it was like who do you plan to vote for President in 2012 and I said I don't vote. And the guy actually went "wait, what?" and said something along the lines of how "they didn't really tell me what to put on some of these responses I'm getting, especially on health care" and so I said "do you have Ron Paul on there?" and he said "yeah sorta, we've been writing it in quite a bit after the first day" and I said "just do that, it's close enough for what they'll want." And he thanked me for helping him with the poll. :paul

benjipwns

« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2018, 12:58:01 AM »
A better example of trying to be a benji probably. My parents get all kinds of push polls in the mail from all these groups endlessly. (Sometimes from the same exact group four times in a single week!) If their names weren't on it, I'd gather them up and fill them out in totally contradictory and incoherent ways and send them back just as punishment.

Kara

« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2018, 01:04:37 AM »
It was a municipal candidate poll and I don't learn about my city candidates until a day or two before the election. Answering "I have no idea" to every head to head in conjunction with the fact that none of them had cac names and my pollster was clearly not from the southwest likely brought us to our abrupt end.

benjipwns

« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:10 AM »
So you're saying they might be coming in The Karavan. :thinking

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
I got a threatening letter in the mail about how whether I vote or not is public record that listed mine and two of my neighbor's past voting records, and strongly suggested that if I don't vote they would call me on the phone to find out why:omg
WDW

Himu

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
Volunteered for Beto campaign tonight. I’m getting antsy as Election Day approaches. Like foot tapping antsy. I don’t think he’s going to win. But I’m giving my all and not just my vote. I’ve had to talk to fellow pro-gun people and reach out as to why I think it’s a good idea to vote Beto despite his stance on them. It’s been really hard trying to convince some Texans to vote for him but I think I’ve developed a compelling argument. Beto talking about guns this close to election doesn’t help me though. More than likely it goes to Cruz.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »
I got a threatening letter in the mail about how whether I vote or not is public record that listed mine and two of my neighbor's past voting records, and strongly suggested that if I don't vote they would call me on the phone to find out why:omg
They eventually stopped sending me those.