Author Topic: What did you finish? 2018 Edition  (Read 14651 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
What did you finish? 2018 Edition
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
Post vidyas what you done beat this year.

Resident Evil 7

The game got significantly worse once you left the house area. The Testing Area and boss fight were great, but then the Boat was meh, the Mine was *temporary placeholder, insert content here*, the final boss was a QTE battle that they forgot to put any QTEs in. But the first 2/3rds were so good that I still think this was a great game overall. It was scary and cheesy in a way that tickled me as a horror movie fan, and I loved it. I'll check out the DLC at some point.
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: What did you finish? 2018 Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
Just Cause 3

I really enjoyed it, but I didn't bother with the challenges. So with the basic gear and doing the area liberation, I was able to beat the game pretty easy. :doge I tried the multiplayer mod out, but it's really not ready for prime-time compared to Just Cause 2's.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »
Cuphead
Fractured Butthole

Fifstar

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
Played through Timbleweed park, although only in filthy casual mode. Fun game with fantastic presentation if you're into old school pnc adventure games. Played it on switch and felt good to play as a touch game.

Edit:
1. Timbleweed park
2. Celeste
3. Mario Odyssey
4. Steamworld Dig 2
5. Golf Story
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:30:44 AM by Fifstar »
Gulp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
Sorry I reserved this thread, mods help

Played through Timbleweed park, although only in filthy casual mode. Fun game with fantastic presentation if you're into old school pnc adventure games. Played it on switch and felt good to play as a touch game.

Whats casual mode? I love the idea of this game, like many point and clicks, but actually hate point and click gameplay

Fifstar

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »

Whats casual mode? I love the idea of this game, like many point and clicks, but actually hate point and click gameplay

It's just an easy mode where puzzles are simplified a lot. The game also has a integrated hint system if you're stuck. However, it's not like a Tell Tale game where you just click through the story. You still can get stuck if you're missing an item or don't know what to do. If you just plain hate pnc gameplay, the casual mode probably won't do much for you.
Gulp

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
I wouldnt say HATE, just hate being stuck on crazy ass puzzles that make no sense and just end up clicking everywhere with every item.

This has haunted me since the Indiana games on PC.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
I beat What Remains of Edith Finch last weekend. It was really short and had no puzzles or gameplay to speak of, but it had some neat vignettes and it did make me grow a vagina.
©@©™

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
I beat What Remains of Edith Finch last weekend. It was really short and had no puzzles or gameplay to speak of, but it had some neat vignettes and it did make me grow a vagina.

:lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't want it to end and it ended even more quickly than the famiy map let on. I couldn't believe they teased going into the sunken house, I figured here was an Easter egg once chapters opened up. Or something...seems not.

After thinking about it isn't really needed, but eh.
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
Zelda: BOTW

Great game, Nintendo stepped it up. Now lets see if they can improve on it and make an all time classic, better story, sidequests and some real dungeons :)

thisismyusername

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Holy shit. This was awful. Ignoring the terrible shoe-horning of future-tech into 1998 and trying to fit it within the 3-day outbreak story-line, the gunplay is awful. The cover-system is awful. The trying to bait zombies to attack the special forces (which you will face NUMEROUS TIMES) is awful. I dunno why I tortured myself, but I finished it.

paprikastaude

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
in january:

Hey Pikmin - I liked the demo, kinda made me miss stylus based games. Final game was kind of forgettable though. Good underground theme.

God of War - Really enjoyable, especially once you get to the big temple. Little story, mostly very good action adventuring with competent level design.

God of War 2 - Less coherent than the first game, dumb story bits become much more of a focus and the game design isn't as good. Still, I can't deny that some sessions I've played were several hours long.

Binary Domain - replay. Underrated, especially because of the bosses, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as on my first playthrough.

Starfox - I played this for the first time on the SNES Mini and was surprised at how enjoyable it is, especially since I don't think of the series highly. I already did several playthroughs by now.

Starfox 64 3D - The free roaming gimmick is as tedious as I remember it being. I prefer the first game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
Vita:

Ray Gigant
Uncanny Valley
Danganronpa V3

Xbox One:

8-Bit Adventure Anthology: Volume 1
DuckTales Remastered (X360 BC)
Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Jetpac Refulled (X360 BC - Rare Replay)
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (X360 BC - Rare Replay)
Perfect Dark Zero (X360 BC - Rare Replay)
Rare Replay (all 200 achievements for 4000 Gamerscore)
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:51 PM »
Just Cause 3

I really enjoyed it, but I didn't bother with the challenges. So with the basic gear and doing the area liberation, I was able to beat the game pretty easy. :doge I tried the multiplayer mod out, but it's really not ready for prime-time compared to Just Cause 2's.

I know you said this a month ago but damn man the precision aim is a huge life up in that game, hope you at least got that one

thisismyusername

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »
Just Cause 3

I know you said this a month ago but damn man the precision aim is a huge life up in that game, hope you at least got that one

I did, yeah. Helped with liberating with the LMG.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:58 PM »
South Park Fractured Butthole

It was ok I guess but it overstayed its welcome a bit as I was pretty done with after around 15 hours in (final clock was 19ish). While they nailed the look and the fighting system wasn't terrible, the pacing seemed off and maybe the theme of the game didn't really hit home for me. It just seemed like a really long filler episode and not sure if I would really recommend.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
Yakuza 0-Took a while, but the story got good. Majima is really fun to play.

Yakuza Kiwami-Good, but felt like it was padded with filler and the story is missing the character moments that will define the later games.

Tales of Beseria-Good cast and story, but the the Tales level of presentation and design is getting very old.

Svejk

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn - Finished the story last night.  Story was pretty well put together, but nowhere near the mind fuckery as Nier:Automata's.  It's funny how similar, but yet so different, HZD, BotW and Nier:A all are.  All 3 wonderful ass ARPG's though.  2017 spit dat hot fiya.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »

It's just an easy mode where puzzles are simplified a lot. The game also has a integrated hint system if you're stuck. However, it's not like a Tell Tale game where you just click through the story. You still can get stuck if you're missing an item or don't know what to do. If you just plain hate pnc gameplay, the casual mode probably won't do much for you.

Doesn't this mode also cut out some story and puzzles completely? 
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
Yeah, it does. I don't think story is cut but the pacing really feels of in casual mode. There are lots of items that don't get used or puzzles where you think "was it really supposed to be so easy to get that item?". Also the second half of the game moves way too fast.

Still if you're mainly playing for story and the content it's okay. It actually helps me enjoying the normal mode, which I am currently playing. Because you always know what your goals are - it's just that they are more difficult to reach now. Which is cool, because now I'm thinking about solving puzzles instead of trying to figure out what the actual problem is. Way too many pnc adventures suffer from the problem that the player doesn't know what the goal or sub-goal is.
Gulp

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
Finished Assassins Creed Origins a few days ago. I was kidding myself in the beginning with thinking the writing got better because it sure as hell ain't an improvement from the former games. Main plot ist the same fractured shit like before, like they cut out half of it and glued it together in a half-assed way. And the side quests are mostly boring ass busy work that end with you raiding an enemy fort and killing all the people there. It's disappointing since Hellenism, with the fall of the Roman Republic as its end point, is my favorite historic period. But whatever, it's my fault for getting my hopes up I guess.

What the game does well is the fun gameplay and especially the gorgeous open world. It's so fucking pretty, sometimes I was just standing around and stared into the distance. The last game that did that to me was Horizon Zero Dawn, but I think Origins looks even better. They really really nailed Ancient Egypt here. It all really engaged me in exploring the map. Otherwise I don't think I would have finished it what with all the boring and samey quests. Atmospheric open worlds go a long way in keeping me engaged I suppose. Kinda like Bethesda games: Never finished one Elder Scrolls but the Fallout games I did, subpar writing notwithstanding. I just dig the weird and unique world in Fallout...

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:55 AM »
Beat AssCrud Onahole as well.

Finished Assassins Creed Origins a few days ago. I was kidding myself in the beginning with thinking the writing got better because it sure as hell ain't an improvement from the former games. Main plot ist the same fractured shit like before, like they cut out half of it and glued it together in a half-assed way.

I like how some shit goes down, and you need to return to your SECRET BASE that you suddenly just have and talk with your squad that you also suddenly just have. :lol

And then there's the parts where you're suddenly slammed back into 2017 and some lady is like "Fuck Abstergo, I'm gonna build my own Animus Project with hookers and blackjack, here read 5000 pages of backstory to get caught up on what I'm doing" lol fuck that. Present Day AssCrud is wack af.
©@©™

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
The overall confusion is even worse in Origins, partly I think because they decided to ditch the codex/encyclopedia this time. In the past games you were at least able to read up on some things regarding the plot, if you cared.

And then there's the parts where you're suddenly slammed back into 2017 and some lady is like "Fuck Abstergo, I'm gonna build my own Animus Project with hookers and blackjack, here read 5000 pages of backstory to get caught up on what I'm doing" lol fuck that. Present Day AssCrud is wack af.

Lol yeah, I had no clue what the fuck was going on with that present day shit as well. Doubt it's even relevant in the long run. I bet we'll never see that Abstergo lady again in person. Not sure why Ubi persists with that plot line even though everyone is telling them to just cut it.

Tho I admit I liked the present day stuff in the first three games or so. Was a nice distraction from the main game. Then it suddenly became shit, either starting with the one based in Constantinople or Ass Creed 3, not sure which.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »
Axiom Verge

First off, this game was made by one guy, wow. Graphics are cool, music is kick ass. I was never huge into metroidvania games and Steamworld Dig is the only one I ever finished but the whole aesthetic of Axiom grabbed me and I needed to play it (Much like game covers made you rent games in the 90s).

Game itself is good, towards the end there is a bit of backtracking and no teleport makes it a bit of a pain. But I think if you played this type of game before its not too bad. I used a guide when I got stuck.

Final area is hard, like a proper difficulty spike and I had to cheese the final boss too.

Overall good stuff!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 07:43:52 AM »
Bulb Boy

A two hour point and click (with some light “action”) nice visuals and music, weird and dark humour.

Nice way to spend two hours if you can get it cheap.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
Just beat Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut and really enjoyed it. The original Shadowrun Returns was fine but kinda bland- these wrpg revivals are big on story and if it isn't engaging then the game is just kinda there.
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »
february:

Tales of Eternia - I took a month or so break because the overly long final boss has a 1 hit KO QTE, which killed my motivation after my first try... Other than that, it was fun. There's an amazing art direction/2D graphics and the sprites save even the otherwise dumb character designs. I liked how fast paced it was, I finished the game in 25 hours... even though I only found out you can dash after I was almost done with the game.  :doge  2D battles don't feel that different from 3D Tales though.

Burnout Legends - This maybe is my favorite game after Dracula X Chronicles on my LTTP PSP so far. I only ever watched people play Burnout 3 and finally got my hands on the gameplay. Still awesome, although the PSP screen makes it hard on a few maps to make out what's in the distance. And crash mode is kind of dumb because you need to go through 1 minute of menus, saving and loading between 15 second long actual missions.

For some reason it has only like 2 songs though.

Monster Hunter World - Easily the best playing Monster Hunter, amazing audiovisuals on top of it. I don't mind the lack of G-content, instead I'm glad they toned the series down again. It went off the rails with idol dance numbers and whatnot before this game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:59:10 AM by Spieler1 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
Beat Bloodborne yesterday. Fantastic game. Easily at or near the top of the Souls/Blood franchise, with lots of great, memorable locations and some pretty cool bosses. Bring on the sequel. Or DS4. Whatever, I'll take either. Or something entirely new.
dog

etiolate

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 01:07:59 AM »
Steamworld Digs

Most of the games I picked up this year were endless style games. Namely, space survival games. I did pick up some metroidvanias, but I can't seem to finish them lately.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
Switch:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom

Xbox One:

Call of Duty WW2
Magic The Gathering 2013 (BC)

fat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »
Grim Dawn

I finished the game using two skills only  :lol But I guess thats part of the charm of an old school system where you can try things out.

Liked the Lovecraftian angle, good soundtrack, nice gameplay. Got a bit samey maybe due to my playstyle but nice fun and more of a challenge then Diablo although I didnt die that much.

Will buy the expansion when its on sale.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 05:58:01 AM »
Destiny 2

What to say, it's a bit like Destiny 1 really. Great visuals and vistas, very satisfying gunplay. The inclusion of a story is a plus, but it's still very boring and doesn't have the scale of what Destiny was supposed to be like.

The single player campaign has some nice moments and decent fights but overall there isn't a single level that feels really well crafted and challenging on normal. Maybe because in my head I compare this to my first Halo playthrough still. But the core is very good so you keep playing. The gear upgrades all feel stupid btw, in Diablo at least you can FEEL if you get some good gear and start just smashing things, here its more subtle.

I will dig a bit into the the MP side of things and see if that improves the game a bit.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
Beat Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. Playing 3DS games in 2018, the greatest struggle ever told. :stahp
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Yakcuza 0.... and that might actually be it so far. Damn B.

paprikastaude

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »
At least it's one of the GotG.

kingv

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
I basically went from not knowing anything about the series to loving it in the corse of one game.

I’m working through kiwami now.... so much feels after 0.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
Beat Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. Playing 3DS games in 2018, the greatest struggle ever told. :stahp

Is it worth trying out, when I already played the original?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 08:14:57 AM »
Nope
fat

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
Well thx. Hope they make a sequel someday.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
Ukhar

Svejk

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »
Finished Lost Legacy over the weekend.  Quite impressive and enjoyable Unsharted fun.  ND really went all out on it.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »
Super Hot — good game to fly through while blazed

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
Played Sky Force Anniversary all day and beat it I think, although there is a stage 9 after the credits which I will tackle tomorrow I hope.

Fun lil shmup which is not really my genre, made by Polish devs for mobile its root show a bit but its still good fun. Later stages really make it necessary to grind for upgrades a bit.

Svejk

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »
Finished Observer over the weekend.  Certainly a very moody and atmospheric Cyberpunk walking simulator.  Got alot of Snatcher vibes, but with a whole horror twist thrown in.   Some parts/puzzles were a bit convoluted and could've been thought out a little better, but overall story, music and voice acting (Rutger Hauer's the main character, brehs!) was pretty good.  I made sure to make a backup save in order to get both endings.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
Firewatch

First Two Hours: Illuminati confirmed?

Last Two Minutes: itsfuckingnothing.gif

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was obvious that either the boy and/or his dad were the ones spying on them because they were the only other plotline in the game, other than random missing teenagers. I wish they had just gone full illuminati instead of it just being a crazy hobo jerking off to your phone sex, and then revealing everything during info dump right before the game ends. Wow, such indie, much subversion.
[close]
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2018, 04:56:26 AM »
March:

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case - Visual novel by Grasshopper with great music and art, plus some intriguing story bits (but out of the 3 main stories it provides, I didn't like one in particular). A few puzzles are fun, but mostly it's just typing in numbers and passwords. This originally came out on cellphones in 2005, so that's probably why it's designed that way. It still plays better than Silver Case 1.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
Switch:

Super Mario Odyssey

Xbox:

The Witness
Prey
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Dropped:

Detective Pikachu (3DS)
Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42:24 AM »
PS4:

A Way Out-Nothing amazing, but a fun 4 or so hours. The story is kind of by the number's, but it's nothing super offensive. Though the level on convenience for all the things that happen is kind of ridiculous.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2018, 03:24:20 AM »
Monster Hunter World

The game is very rich and the SP game is alright, pretty addictive stuff but also a bit grindy. Maybe it was my weapon choice (LBG) but I felt there wasnt many options for me to fight except strafe, shoot, plant mines.

Overall nice experience but don't know if I will go back to it.

Fifstar

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 05:01:58 AM »
Beat Steamworld Dig 2. Gonna go for some more artefacts and look up if there is some Kind of good ending.
Gulp

thisismyusername

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
Final Fantasy 12: International: Zodiac Job System, well the "remaster" of it anyway. :doge

Still great, ten years later. Trial mode wasn't as impressive as I thought it'd be, though. Bunch of rehashed enemies (and some new ones) while having to buy items/equipment in the main game if you want to complete it with less struggling.

paprikastaude

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »
April:
Ratchet & Clank PS4 - I was surprised that I didn't hate this series' Dreamworks-esque make-up. I actually chuckled at points. The environments look great, but the characters are simply hideous. The gameplay is fun, though the main problem is that every weapon is lame in one way or the other. It's cool to combine them for havoc, but none of them are that fun on their own...

Ni No Kuni 2 - Forgettable story, but the gameplay and presentation made it addictive anyway. Side content feels meaningful, because it is all connected by the kingdom.

God Of War PS4 - Very good combat, good difficulty, okay exploration and puzzle solving, very good presentation/world making, annoying story and handholding in the beginning. The kid is shit.

thisismyusername

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
Tomb Raider: Underworld - I've had this one sitting for like 3-4 years after finishing Legend and Anniversary back to back. :doge I don't like it's conclusion of the "trilogy" and really, given that Anniversary was basically a 1:1 of the original Tomb Raider, bringing back the big bad for another diabolical plot was dumb.

I got the Lara Croft and... series to do next before starting the Re-Reboot series. :doge

Fifstar

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
Beat Golf Story. A game like comfort food, pleasing to play but when you play it too much you get bored. I took a couple of pauses where I played other games, going get it was fun again.
The game is a bit easy. If you lose a challenge it gets boring because the opponent's always play exactly the same.
Game controls well and the writing is charming if a bit samey.
Gulp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »
Tomb Raider: Underworld - I've had this one sitting for like 3-4 years after finishing Legend and Anniversary back to back. :doge I don't like it's conclusion of the "trilogy" and really, given that Anniversary was basically a 1:1 of the original Tomb Raider, bringing back the big bad for another diabolical plot was dumb.

I got the Lara Croft and... series to do next before starting the Re-Reboot series. :doge

Underworld was actually the last TR I played, and I really dug it. A nice bridge between the clunkiness of the originals and the overly Uncharted-looking reboots.
^_^

thisismyusername

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »
Really, my problem with the ending is it's obvious sequel bait. Then CD and Square just decide to re-reboot and it's  :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
9) Nioh :bow

I guess I'll switch to Shadowrun (SNES) now.

Have you played any of the Shadowrun games, Borys? The first [Returns] is just okay, but Dragonfall and Hong Kong are really good.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »
Now that the sun is out again I have lost all gaming mojo.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
9) Nioh :bow

I guess I'll switch to Shadowrun (SNES) now.

Worth playing if only to hear this song:
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
Shadowrun has easily one of the best SNES soundtracks:

dog